Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 04/10/2008

Melanie Brown's Catty Couture

By Liz Kelly

The catty Melanie Brown. (Reuters)

Look out Christian Siriano, there's nothing fiercer than animal print.

Little did I suspect when I published the eyeball-singeing pic of Melanie Brown and hubby Stephen Belafonte earlier this morning that Mel's affinity for leopard print was more than a passing fancy. Well, thanks to a quick perusal of the British papers over my morning coffee, I'm astounded -- astounded I tell you -- to discover that Mel has actually designed a line of leopard print clothing aptly, yet obviously, named "Catty Couture."

"I'm so excited! It got pulled together quickly, really quickly," said Brown to People magazine, yet again proving how easy it is to design clothes and combating the dangerous "Project Runway" culture that has promoted the silly idea that actual schooling in clothing construction and theory are the trademarks of the best designers.

Possibly in a bid to compete with fellow Spice Girl Victoria Beckham's own clothing line (dVb), Mel -- true to her "Scary" nickname -- taken her designs to the extreme in a lycra-fied, gauzy range of pieces that would be equally at home on a Long Island cougar or a Vegas trannie. Well played, Mel! This is clearly a concept with staying power. When the leopard print starts looking tired, you can move on to cheetah, tiger, calico, tabby -- the possibilities are practically endless.

Zigazig-ha, indeed.

By Liz Kelly  | April 10, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Ashlee Simpson Engaged
Next: Morning Mix: Vanilla Ice Arrested in Domestic Dispute

Comments

Prediction: Kim Cattrall will order EVERY SINGLE PIECE she can get her hands on.

25-year-old men in bars everywhere should immediately begin to apply their Axe body spray.

Posted by: byoolin | April 10, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

To quote Baby Jaguar from "Go Diego Go!" - "Rorw RORW!"

(That's right, I am going to see Go Diego Go live next week... jealous? Bein' a mama is so much fun.)

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | April 10, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hmm. I was at a wedding in Philly over the weekend where a number of Long Island cougars were swathed in an array of jungle prints. OK, they weren't cougars, they were middle-aged Jewish women trying to marry their own sons off in between the sushi bar at cocktail hour and the salad course. But if there's one thing that could possibly unite L.I. it's the shared love of overpriced styles that bear an uncanny resemblance to something you'd see for one-tenth of the price at Wet Seal.

I saw a woman in zebra-striped pumps. They looked furry. Do I even need to continue?

But, maybe Mel's a shrewd businesswoman who has identified a ridiculous but ridiculously lucrative target market. Best of luck on that one!

Posted by: Embassy of Oompa Loompa | April 10, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I bet the Pope is gonna LOVE this.

Posted by: 23112 | April 10, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Actually I kinda like the dress, I would wear if I had the body, but considering some of the hideousness we've seen, this outfit is rather tame. (no pun intended)

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

In the words of the Spice Girls:

"Too much of something is bad enough.
But something's coming over to make me wonder . . ."

Does the world need Scary Spice's clothing line? Whatever, Mel.

Posted by: td | April 10, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

uh oh. i like the idea of the zebra print pumps. not furry, but zebra print.
this does not bode well...

Posted by: methinks | April 10, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I have a friend who is a buyer for high end department in NYC and she seen Mel B's Catty Couture during LA Fashion Week. I will paraphrase her words "A Hot Mess" "Dresses so cheap Wal-Mart wouldn't sell it."

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 10, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad it isn't just me.
Mel is being mad cross-eyed by her OWN DRESS

Posted by: other liz | April 10, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Ms. Brown is merely expressing her inner Cruella DeVille?

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | April 10, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Now we know the real reason Paris wanted to take home a jaguar from her trip to Africa.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | April 10, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

methinks writes:

"uh oh. i like the idea of the zebra print pumps. not furry, but zebra print.
this does not bode well..."

Rrrrrrrowwwwrrrrr!!!

Put on those zebra pumps and dance for me!!!

Rrrrrooowwwwrrrrr!!!!

Posted by: Sasquatch | April 10, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

the real question hiding behind the leopard spots is this: who is this guy whom she married so soon after birthing eddie murphy's baby? is it a real marriage or just a face-saving ruse? (who is EM to blow off mel anyway? i bet she has more $$ than he does!)

Posted by: wats | April 10, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posting here because I totally missed the chat because I had to chase off some software salespeople.

Anyway...

*****

Liz Kelly asked: Is it also a requirement to drop acid on your way into the ball park?

Um, Liz, it's a ball game, not Laser REO Speedwagon at the planetarium. LSD, like other drugs, has no place in baseball.
[pause]
Just kidding. Lick the picture of Rocket Roger Clemens and watch him suddenly start throwing screwballs that turn into planets. Good times.

*****

Liz Kelly asked: As a vegan, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Does anyone do a vegetable race?

Yes. It's called "The Amazing Race," and it's on CBS.

*******

Liz Kelly said: I'd like to see a big-headed Cheney effigy hoofing it around the field.

We'd settle for seeing someone hoof big-headed Cheney around the field.

Posted by: byoolin | April 10, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Paris's cat wasn't a jaguar, it was a cheetah. Read all about it:
I notice nobody is suggesting cheetah-print clothes. I'm not exactly sure what cheetah-print clothes would like, actually.

Posted by: hh | April 10, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you who EM is, if not who he thinks he is: He's an A$$. You all recall his reaction to not winning an Oscar...Classless Maroon...I'll tell you something else about EM. He can't act. He just plays himself. In everything he does. An A$$. Also he isn't funny anymore. Go away EM.

Will Smith is a man with class who can act and is funny. Give me WS over EM anyday off the week.

Posted by: omni | April 10, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Kim CAT-trall, Byoolin? Meow.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

i'm a little...scared?...by sasquatch's reposnse to my post. should i be?

Posted by: methinks | April 10, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

"i'm a little...scared?...by sasquatch's reposnse to my post. should i be?"

Not unless you're name is Amy Winehouse.

Posted by: Sasquatch | April 10, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'm a lot confused by Sassies 4:44,
and a little more scared for methinks...

Posted by: omni | April 11, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

td speak for YOURSELF. As I can see people wanna just spread hate.

Posted by: Jay | April 28, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse