Posted at 7:52 AM ET, 04/ 2/2008

Morning Mix: Beyonce & Jay-Z Headed to the Altar?

By Liz Kelly

Musician John Legend testifies at a House Appropriations hearing on "Funding for the Arts" on Capitol Hill on Tuesday. Robert Redford was also on hand for the event. (Reuters)

Headlines: Jay Leno apologizes for gay remarks... Madonna due in Malawi next week for adoption ruling; Madge also hoping to build girls-only school in African nation... Katie Holmes debuts new super-short 'do... Moby offers $75,000 fee to anyone who can help sell his New York co-op... Back on stage, Richie Sambora thanks fans for support... Mariah Carey stops traffic in central London... Eva Mendes says she's "taking a break" following weeks in rehab... Oprah Winfrey dedicates show to her late dog... Jennifer Aniston forms her own film production company... Steve Guttenberg eliminated from "Dancing With the Stars"... Velvet Revolver dumps "erratic" Scott Weiland.

Rumor Mill: Beyonce and Jay-Z apply for marriage license... Britney Spears reconciles with ex-manager Larry Rudolph... "Sex and the City" premiere causing major girlfight among film's stars... J.Lo spends $50,000 on home gym.

By Liz Kelly  | April 2, 2008; 7:52 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebrity Scribes: An '08 Reading Guide
Next: Katie Holmes, Tomboy?

Comments

I don't like K-bot's new hair do.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is Katie Holmes slowly starting to look like a female Tom Cruise?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Jay's made an important first step. Now if he'll only apologize for 16 years of unfunny monologues (including, but not limited to, 11 uninterrupted years of Lewinsky-Clinton-bj jokes).

Posted by: byoolin | April 2, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

You would have thought Guttenberg would be safe since he has the Stonecutters vote sewn up.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | April 2, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Velvet Revolver dumping Weiland has echoes of the VR boys' old days as members of Guns 'n' Roses.

In 1990, G'n'R fired drummer Steven Adler because of his addictions. I remember seeing a comedian ask, "How f***ed up do you have to be to get fired from Guns 'n' Roses?"

Posted by: byoolin | April 2, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Very, very f--ked up, byoolin. Very f--ked up, indeed.

I wonder if VR is going to call back Gina Gershon to sing with them again. Then I might actually give a d--n and go to the show.

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | April 2, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Hey RiverCityRoller, nice Simpsons reference. I actually remebered the lyrics (concerning Guttenberg) of the Stonecutter's song when I saw your reference.

Posted by: Irish_Ed | April 2, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Can't Steve Guttenburg catch a break. The man hasn't had a job since the Olsen twins stopped making movies.

Posted by: michael | April 2, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"Amateurs."

- Mick Jagger reacts to Velvet Revolver's firing of Scott Weiland.

Posted by: byoolin | April 2, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Just wanted everyone here, our illustrious hostess in particular, to know that I am wearing pleaded pants today and I AM DAMN PROUD OF IT!

Posted by: Thin Man | April 2, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Pleaded pants? Did they beg you to wear them?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

And yeah, don't like Katie Holmes' new haircut either. I thought that bob was so cute.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | April 2, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I hope Steve Guttenberg goes back to his cave for another decade. I'm sure he is a nice man but the something about him that really bugs me. I hate his face.

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 2, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow I hadn't heard of that Jay Leno comment before. Jay you know what the next step after a comment in poor taste is...rehab. Get thee to Promises.

Posted by: sjcpeach | April 2, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Comments on the Jay Leno article are funnier than he is.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I remember several years ago my stylist said that when a woman starts making major changes in her hairstyle (especially a style she's worn for some time) she's usually about to make a major change, divorce, new baby, job change...
then my stylist went platinum blonde, divorced her husband, got a boyfriend, and set up a new salon to compete w/her ex.

Posted by: methinks | April 2, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Stay tuned for more commentary on Katie Holmes's new hair in today's main post... coming up in about an hour.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | April 2, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

This typo in the Britney story made me spit coffee on my desk and myself!

"and has had a serious of meetings with him to see if they can work together in the future."

A serious of meetings? Is that like a gaggle of geese? Or a pride of lions? or my personal fav - a murder of crows?

And, I like Kat(i)e's hair cut, what i could see of it. I am thinking of ditching my almost-waist-length pony tail for something similar! OMG, I said pony!

Posted by: sunnydaze | April 2, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

For the record, I am not planning any career changes, marital status changes, child number changes, wild flings with George Clooney, learning to cook, or any other massive life change at this time. Just a hair cut so that the tub doesn't clog up every time I take a shower!

Posted by: sunnydaze | April 2, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

watch it, sunnydaze!
remember, you had your chance to say "p**y" last friday afternoon.

Posted by: methinks | April 2, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Who watched The Soup this past weekend and heard Joel McHale say pony and thought to themselves..."he said pony"?

Ok, I guess it was just me.

Never mind.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I am having short term memory loss, I can't remember last Friday!

"p**y" - looks like a bad word!

Posted by: sunnydaze | April 2, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

btw, Liz Kelly, thanks for the yummy photo of John Legend. My eyes feel better!

Posted by: sunnydaze | April 2, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

come on, Liz, what's with the cliched and sexist "girlfight"? How about plain old "fight"? Or "causes infighting"? Do we need the patronizing and condescending "girl" attached to it? They are women. They are fighting. Just like men do.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Heh...I wanna see the Leno clip just to see Ryan squirm.

Posted by: 23112 | April 2, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Wait a tick, we got a freebie to use pony and I missed it. Gosh darn it now I'm bummed!

I have to second the thanks for the photo of John.

How many haircuts does this make for Katie this year alone? She might as well pull a Brit (just the hair shaving)and get on with life. Unless this is the only way the poor thing can call the shots in her life.

Posted by: petal | April 2, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Leno has been a homophobe and an avid GW Bush supporter for years. He is generally just an idiot.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Anon at 10:04 - at least it didn't read "catfight!"

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, p**y definitely looks dirty. Love that.

I love Katie's haircut. I think she's gorgeous. You know, for a brain-washed robot, I mean. *shudder*

Richie - we totally support you. What we DON'T support is the drinking-n-driving thang. Grow up.

And more "amens" on the photo of John Legend. Mmmm mmmm good. Break me off a piece of THAT!

Posted by: jaybbub | April 2, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

sunnydaze, I would shave my head for a chance at a wild fling with George Clooney.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | April 2, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

So who's gonna sing with VR now? I've always wanted Zack de la Roche and Slash together...

Posted by: trumance | April 2, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Mel Torme. Imagine The Velvet Fog and Velvet Revolver, together at last!

And if we could get Lou Reed or John Cale...

Posted by: byoolin | April 2, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I think the word "girlfight" is completely in line with the type of women we're talking about here. They revel in their girlieness (sp?). Now if we were talking about Madeline Albright and uh...Hillary Clinton, then you could just leave off the "girl" part.

Posted by: methinks | April 2, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

oh, that didn't sound right...it's just that Ms.'s Albright & Clinton don't seem girlie. You know?

Posted by: methinks | April 2, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

p**yp**yp**yp**yp**yp**yp**yp**yp**yp**yp**y

just had to get that out of my system.

i feel much better now.

Posted by: b | April 2, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I can't see enough of Katie's hair in that pic, but so far I like it. Then again, I have hair even shorter than hers. What bugs me is that some people actually laugh in my face and other women try to pick me up, so we still have a long way to go with hair equality.
I love Renee Z's hair! It looks good on her.

Posted by: possum | April 2, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

RiverCityRoller, if the offer was made, "hey sunny, you shave your head and the Clooney will be delivered to your boudoir door," then yes, yes, YES! I was only saying that I wasn't actively contemplating that scenario ... mmmmm ... actively contemplating that scenario....

Posted by: sunnydaze | April 2, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Jay Leno has been making homophobic remarks for years, but since the Tonight Show rakes in millions in profits for NBC, he gets away with it. He really is one of the most insensitive people around.

Posted by: D-Vo | April 2, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"Mel Torme. Imagine The Velvet Fog and Velvet Revolver, together at last!

And if we could get Lou Reed or John Cale...

Posted by: byoolin | April 2, 2008 10:38 AM"

The Foggy Velvet Revolving Underground?

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | April 2, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"On a side note, does anyone else think that the picture of Mariah Carey on the WP front page looks like she's auditioning to be Malibu Skipper?"

Has there ever been a time when she didn't look like a malibu stripper?

Posted by: petal | April 2, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"Beyonce and Jay-Z apply for marriage license..."

Why do I get a sinking feeling that this is going to end up on Ashton Kutcher's new show?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Tom likes it when Katie looks like a boy. . .not that there's anything wrong with that!

Posted by: Phyllis Offer | April 2, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I fourth the posting of the pic of the yummy hot, John Legend. Nice!

While I'm happy to hear that one of my favorite 90s bands is back together, how long will it take for STP to disband again because of Scott's drinking and drugging- I'm always hopeful that he'll stay clean but dude doesn't seem to care about anything other than staying f'd up. Sheesh what a waste of talent.

While Moby's music generally sucks to me- his interior design taste is awesome. Heck if I had that kind of loot, I'd buy the place from him and he could keep the finders fee.

Posted by: plamar1031 | April 2, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Was Mariah wearing sunglasses to protect her eyes from the nuclear brightness of her teeth? Holy mackerel, those things glow in the dark!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous at 9:48, I have tears running down my face I am laughing so hard at your pony posting.

OMG, *I* said pony.

Posted by: Californian w/ a pony | April 2, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Ooops, said hard twice. I guess I was laughing that hard at anonymous' and b's postings.

Posted by: Californian | April 2, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Random thought: When I was younger, I wanted to be a famous singer, never mind the fact that I couldn't sing. Now I wouldn't want to be famous for anything, though, ironically actually knowing how to sing doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I AM SO HAPPY FOR BEYONCE AND JAY. I THINK THEY MAKE A CUTE COUPLE AND I WISH THEM NOTHING BUT THE BEST!!!

Posted by: Jasmine | April 3, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse