Posted at 8:01 AM ET, 04/ 3/2008

Morning Mix: Bobby Brown Says Whitney Drove Him to Drugs

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Jerry Seinfeld unhurt in Hamptons car wreck... George Clooney says he was mugged at gunpoint in Sudan... John McCain welcomes Heidi Montag's support... Bobby Brown says Whitney Houston drove him to drugs... Mariah Carey has more hits than Elvis... Teri Hatcher to sing on "Idol" special (third item)... Tracey Gold ("Growing Pains") welcomes baby boy... Verne Troyer ("Mini Me") rushed to hospital from Canadian movie set... Family asks FBI to probe Sean Levert's prison death.

Crime Watch: Woman charged with stalking John Cusack... Hospital worker fired for leaking Farrah Fawcett's medical records.

Spears Watch: Britney Spears in talks to reprise "How I Met Your Mother" cameo... OK! recycles years-old Brit pic on cover... No joint vacation for Spears and K-Fed... Jamie Lynn to marry at Brit's Louisiana estate.

Rumor Mill: Beyonce and Jay-Z to wed tomorrow?... Larry King ejected from son's little league game... "Hills" alum Jason Wahler getting his own reality show... Madonna donates mags featuring herself to Kabbalah Center... Matthew McConaughey to play "Magnum P.I." in big screen remake?

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's Celebritology Live discussion.

By Liz Kelly  | April 3, 2008; 8:01 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Katie Holmes, Tomboy?
Next: Workday Waster: Just Call Me Paris

Comments

If I were female, Matt McConaughey in a Hawaiian shirt and cheesy mustache would have me very, well, very.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 3, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

The question is, is the wardrobe going to include the tight jeans and/or the short shorts?

Posted by: Chasmosaur | April 3, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Wow...Bobby's comments about Whit-Whit and what he's been up to the past fifteen years are pretty darn candid. And I always did feel that the marriage to Whitney came kinda out of the blue. That's some crazy stuff.

Posted by: 23112 | April 3, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: michael | April 3, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I don't know much about Whitney and Bobby Brown's history, and maybe they did marry for the wrong reasons. But blaming someone else for your drug use is typical addict speak. Addicts will blame anyone and anything possible to avoid responsibility for their own actions.

Posted by: Q | April 3, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

If I had any respect for John McCain left, I think it all vanished when he admitted to never missing an episode of The Hills.

Posted by: michael | April 3, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Bobby Brown was lucky Whitney drove him to drugs: if Seinfeld had been driving, they might never have got there...

Posted by: byoolin | April 3, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think anyone cares who Heidi Montag votes for."

Truer words have never been spoken.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

michael, I'm relatively sure that John McCain has never seen an episode of "The Hills", no matter what he said.

Heidi Montag did show a suprising amount of self-awareness when she said "no one cares who Heidi Montag endorses."

Meanwhile, Teri Hatcher is going to sing on "American Idol"?? How deliciously awkward, considering her history with Ryan Seacrest. Hehe. I'll definitely have to tune in for that episode.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | April 3, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"I think we got married for all the wrong reasons. Now, I realize Whitney had a different agenda than I did when we got married . . . I believe her agenda was to clean up her image, while mine was to be loved and have children."

So Whitney thought marrying Bobby Brown was going to clean up her already squeaky clean image? Huh.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think anyone cares who Heidi Montag votes for."

No, but J---- C-----, she VOTES?

Another nail in the coffin of American Democracy.

Posted by: byoolin | April 3, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Um, why oh why do these past celebs pop back up with tell all books!? Do their children really need to know this stuff? Do I really need to know this stuff? Talk about attention seeks.

There is only one Magnum P.I, IMO. Sorry Matthew.

Glad to hear that hospital worker was fired. Medical records are private. Not sure why people can't respect that rule.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh Bobby Brown please,

Bobby married Whitney to save his career. He got kicked out New Edition,wasted his money from his one hit album, did not showing up for concerts and appearance, owed back child support and he owed his drug dealer back in Boston.

Bobby was a train wreck about ready to crash when he married Whitney. The only person who was happy at the wedding was Bobby.

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 3, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"Madonna donates mags featuring herself to Kabbalah Center."

Here's hoping they're the July 1985 issues of Playboy and Penthouse.

Posted by: byoolin | April 3, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I completely believe Bobby Brown. Most people think Whitney was squeaky clean, but that was her PR machine at work. I must admit that I watched the reality show that followed Bobby and Whitney (thank God this is anonymous!) and it was clear that Bobby was the more rational adult in that relationship. Although I think their teenage daughter has more since than both of them put together.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

McCain's comments about the Hills reminds me of Gore telling Courtney Love how much he loved Hole.

Posted by: 23112 | April 3, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"reminds me of Gore telling Courtney Love how much he loved Hole."

That sounds dirty.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Gore loved Hole?

As if Tipper and her friends at the PMRC would ever let *that* in the house.

Posted by: byoolin | April 3, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"reminds me of Gore telling Courtney Love how much he loved Hole."

That sounds dirty.

Posted by: | April 3, 2008 10:01 AM

Well, he didn't say he loved the *band* Hole now did he?

Posted by: jes | April 3, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

You know, when thinking of what to donate to my favorite charity it never occurred to me to send my most recent magazine cover and be done with it. What kind of write off does the IRS give for that?

Posted by: jes | April 3, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

How in the name of Ari Gold can Jason Wahler's reality show in any way resemble "Entourage?" Doesn't the whole "Entourage" concept revolve around a celebrity who's starred in actual movies?

Posted by: musicgeek | April 3, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

"Doesn't the whole "Entourage" concept revolve around a celebrity who's starred in actual movies?"

Since when does being a celebrity revolve around actually doing ANYTHING substantial?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"Far be it from me to talk trash about a fellow Longhorn and Austinite, but Matt is no Tom Selleck."

No, he's not... he's mo' better!

Posted by: b | April 3, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Of course Mariah Carey has more tits than Elvis.....

OH!!! You mean hits....

Never mind.

Posted by: Emily Litella | April 3, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I sure can't see William H. Macey as Higgins, though...

Posted by: b | April 3, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Ah, Byoolin. Were you in college with me? Laughing at those pictures of Madonna in Penthouse and Playboy?

The pictures so explicitly depicted her love of underarm hair, as I remember.

Posted by: Amelia | April 3, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Emily Litella, you read my mind.

And Amelia, if I may invoke the words of Bart Simpson, "as long as there are absolutely no follow-up questions, yes, yes," that's what I was doing. *Laughing* at the pictures.

Posted by: byoolin | April 3, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Well, you remember that Love's famous comeback to the Goreacle was "Oh yeah? Name a song, Al."

Posted by: 23112 | April 3, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

One of the commenters on the US mag story about George Clooney called him a "cootster!"

Posted by: sunnydaze | April 3, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

The Larry King story link doesn't work. I'd love to read how Larry embarrassed himself being a Little League parent.

Posted by: Steve Duncan | April 3, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Nevermind....NOW it's working. :)

Posted by: Steve Duncan | April 3, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

It is not rocket science people. HIPAA says no looking at records if you are not supposed to. That means DO NOT LOOK. It is quite simple to do -- don't open the chart.

How many more healthcare workers need to get fired before they get this?? Yet, we say celebrities are stupid.

Posted by: ep | April 3, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

so that's your codeword, byoolin? "laughing"?
as in, "byoolin, are you laughing in there?"

Posted by: methinks | April 3, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I stole it from Weingarten: "I'm laughing here."

Posted by: byoolin | April 3, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"Cusack said Leatherman 'is showing unusual interest by stalking, throwing long letters of interest over my fence in bags with rocks and screwdrivers inside . . .'"

Why would someone stalk John Cusack -- did Judd Nelson and James Woods have restraining orders against her already?

Posted by: td | April 3, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Despite his being in jail for lack of child support, I'm saddened by Sean Levert's death.

Posted by: petal | April 3, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

There's a little known poem by Ernie Thayer about the prospect of an aging talk show host coaching his young son's little league team...Here's an excerpt:

The lad from hills of Beverly had stepped up to the plate;
The spheroid flew; he held the bat, but swung it much too late.
"That was a strike! You must be blind!" an old man was heard to shout.
The umpire yelled, "You utter one more word, I'll have to throw you out!"

But one scornful look from Chance and the old man fell quickly mute.
Chance turned and told the umpire, "Baseball makes my dad a brute."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | April 3, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I love Magnum. That is who Tom S is to me - Magnum. But I heart MM. Did anyone else hear about him saying he would one day be reborn as a jaguar? Hilarious! LOL funny. I can't wait to see him in those shorts.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone want to take bets on how long the Jamie Lynn Spears marriage will last? Or would that be like shooting fish in a barrel?

Posted by: Californian | April 3, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Actually, CA - "shooting fish in a barrel" is how Jamie Lynn's hubby intends to provide for the young'un.

Posted by: byoolin | April 3, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

byoolin,
I may still have those issues stashed under a mattress somewhere.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 3, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"reminds me of Gore telling Courtney Love how much he loved Hole."

He was talking about the one in the ozone layer -- even he recognizes that it's responsible for his entire post-VP career.

Posted by: Unh-uh | April 3, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I think my copy of the Penthouse might have been lost in The Great Forced-By-Mom-To-Burn-My-Own-Smut Conflagration Of '86.

Posted by: byoolin wipes away a tear. | April 3, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but Matthew McConaughey is just gross. He can't act, and he can't even pick good movie roles to cover for his deficiencies. And the whole tooth-brushing fetish coupled w/ the no-deodorant-stinky-pits thing is just beyond weird.

I'd rather watch old man Selleck reprise his Magnum role.

Posted by: alex | April 3, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

lol - At home, spitting my afternoon coffee at my laptop at that one, byoolin.

Posted by: rachelt | April 3, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"Matthew plays "Magnum P.I." I'm telling you now that movie has my money. It could be absolute crap, I don't care as long as the shorts are included."

I completely agree with petal. I'd only add the mustache.

I'm still confused as to why anyone would welcome Heidi Montag's support on anything.

Posted by: surlychick | April 3, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Brown says Whitney Houston drove him to drugs??

What? He couldn't take a taxi? Couldn't he have carpooled with Nick Nolte?

Posted by: Emily Litella | April 3, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. While failure to pay child support is despicable, it's hardly a capital offense.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Brown is and always has been a piece of crap. Great she got away from this scumbag.

Posted by: Reddesires | April 5, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse