Posted at 11:43 AM ET, 05/12/2008

Comment Box: Nick Cannon Marries Up

By Liz Kelly
Comment Box

Why exactly is Nick Cannon famous? -- An amalgam of several queries and comments sent in over the past week.

Nick Cannon, like many other bold names, is famous for his talent for self-promotion. Sure, he's been performing stand-up comedy since 16 and acting since he was 18 (with roles on Nickelodeon, "Men in Black II" and that percussion-love classic "Drumline"). The 27-year-old also made a little name for himself hosting MTV comedy shows "Wild 'N Out" and "Short Circuitz." He hit this Celebritologist's radar last spring when his publicist sent out a series of frantic e-mails detailing his Times Square jumbotron proposal to Victoria's Secret model Selita Ebanks (they broke up a few months later). After deleting every single one, Cannon settled back in to his tenuous perch on celebrity's C-level. Until May 1, when news broke of Cannon's marriage chart-topping 38-year-old diva Mariah Carey.

Mr. Mariah Carey: Nick Cannon. (AP)

It seems Cannon and Carey met in late March on the set of the video for her single "Bye Bye" in which Cannon was cast as Carey's love interest. Now, little more than a month later the two are married and now sport tattoos dedicated to each other.

"To me rings are special and exciting, but tattoos mean more than anything," Cannon told People last week. "They're forever and ever. They professed our love."

Cannon was also snapped in New York last week sporting his "special and exciting" bling-ified wedding band.

Is it wrong to lust over the young versions of now-dead or very old guys? (Hello, young Paul Newman.) -- Submitted during last week's Celebritology Live discussion

If crushing on dead celebs is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Honestly, I'm answering this question because I'm worried about you -- why, I ask, should death or an AARP membership disqualify an easy-on-the-eyes star of yesteryear from his (or her) due appreciation? Cary Grant, Jim Morrison, Steve McQueen -- my constantly changing top five list has been variously littered with a graveyard of stars no longer with us. I mean, it isn't as if you've got more of a chance with the current crop of Hollywood heartthrobs, so why limit your imagination?

And, one edit to your last, parenthetical, statement: Hello, old Paul Newman! You still got it, baby.

Comment of the Week
It's a crazy mixed up world when Nick Cannon's bling is bigger than Paris Hilton's and John Mayer thinks he's badass and Roseanne thinks she's sexy. -- MoCoSnarky comments on Friday's Morning Mix

By Liz Kelly  | May 12, 2008; 11:43 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Timberlake & Biel Named Hottest Couple
Next: Morning Mix: Weekend Wedding for Ashlee Simpson?

Comments

My Top Five List of Old or Dead Guys I'd Have Gotten with in Their Youth:

1. Paul Newman
2. Marlon Brando (oh, the shock when I found out that the Godfather was once a fox)
3. Cary Grant
4. Gregory Peck
5. George Peppard

Honorable mention: Troy Donahue (as long as he promised not to talk, or only to repeat lines from "Rome Adventure")

Posted by: musicgeek | May 12, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

i hope there was a prenup...any news on that Liz?

Posted by: dc_snark | May 12, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with musicgeek's top five Old or Dead Guys I Lust After Even Though It Just Feels Wrong. To that list, however, I would add Jeff Buckley, Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Stewart and Gene Kelly.

Posted by: KLeewrite | May 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

US mag reports that mariah and nick go back at least two years, so there was a friendship there, for whatever that's worth. still, getting married after 2 months of romance is just nuts. i smell an annulment by july, and maybe the tats were henna?

Posted by: wats | May 12, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Old guy that I have have loved since I was in middle school, although I probably don't technically "lust" after him anymore: Harrison Ford! Watched Raiders this weekend, and whew! He was HOT! I would still probably completely lose it if I ever met him (unlikely as that may be).

Posted by: tl | May 12, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I will forever have a crush on Col. John "Hannibal" Smith... I think it was the cigar... I love a bad boy.

Posted by: Osteph | May 12, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Are Nic Cannon and Mariah Carey actually "legally" married?

After all, Eddie Murphy also had an island wedding and a big photo spread of the festivities in People.

And then it turned out to be a big phony deal.

Who knew Anna Nicole Smith and her faux "commitment" (gag) ceremony would be such a trailblazer.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

A gang of friends had a NCAA bracket-style contest called "Whomever Would You Do?" where participants would post pictures of celebrities (at the age/stage you most enjoyed them for their qualities), the nominations were bracketed and then we voted off. Boy, was that fun!

My top 5 (male)
1. Robert Redford
2. Clint Eastwood
3. Steve McQueen
4. Paul Newman
5. Cary Grant

Posted by: NC2 | May 12, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking about recommending for Friday List a list of the celebrities most over rates for their looks at whatever stage of their careers and/or lives. But I imagine such a list would be hundreds, if not thousands of names long.

Applause for the correct grammar in NC2's list title.

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 12, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

My 5 Dead Guys (in no particular order) I'd do if they weren't dead & I didn't know what I know about them(but that's only for 4 of them):

-Elvis
-Jim Morrison
-Brando
-James Dean
-Gene Kelly (much better ass than Fred Astaire, yes I've checked out his ass)

All "bad boys" except Kelly...**lesigh**

Posted by: Bored @ work | May 12, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'll go with my top five also:
1. Errol Flynn (who could resist Robin Hood?)
2. Gene Kelly (a la An American in Paris)
3. Marlon Brando (nom nom)
4. Kirk Douglas ("I am Sparticus")
5. James Garner (will be humming the theme to The Great Escape all day now...)

Posted by: PGM | May 12, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"If crushing on dead celebs is wrong, then I don't want to be right."

This reminds me of a comedian (can't remember his name) I heard on the satellite radio recently:

"My buddy asked me, 'If you could do any celebrity you wanted, living or dead, who would it be?'
"So I said, 'Britney Spears, and dead.'"

Posted by: byoolin | May 12, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Top 5 oldies but goodies:

1. Paul Newman
2. Robert Redford
3. Harrison Ford
4. Sean Connery
5. Billy Idol

Posted by: sjcpeach | May 12, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The list of old guys I'd have done in their prime is, of course, distinguished from the Top Five Old Guys I'd Still Get with after a Few Drinks:

1. Mick Jagger
2. Sting
3. Harrison Ford
4. Daniel Day-Lewis (on probation after that horrible Oscar night getup)

Oh, now this is a problem. Sean Connery usually takes the fifth spot, but he is getting up there. I can't quite lump him in with actual dead guys - or anyone whose livelihood involves posing American Gothic-style for an organic pasta sauce label - nor can I admit that I would, erm, go there these days. 'Tis a predicament.

Posted by: musicgeek | May 12, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

How sad, not a single lustful thought about a young Orson Welles? He was quite the catch before the fortune, fame, and run-in with Dunkin Donuts.

Posted by: RKO anyone? | May 12, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Steve McQueen, Sean Connery, Frank Howard (I know, who?), Gregory Peck.

By the way, seeing Troy Donohue on musicgeek's list made me start singing, "If Troy Donohue can be a movie star/Then I can be a movie star..."

Posted by: methinks | May 12, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

musicgeek, if two of the Top Five Old Guys You'd Still Get with after a Few Drinks are Mick Jagger (64) and Harrison Ford (65), I submit that your 'problem' in re: 78-year-old Mr. Connery can be easily solved by your having another one or two drinks.

It's a win-win-win.

Posted by: byoolin | May 12, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I blame Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade for my lack of interest in the Sean Connery of 2008. Anyone old enough to be believable as Harrison Ford's dad just can't make the list. Although, byoolin, I am an empiricist. So pass the Wild Turkey...

Posted by: musicgeek | May 12, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Atta girl.

Posted by: byoolin wipes the mouth of the bottle on his sleeve. | May 12, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Yul Brynner? Anyone?
If you don't believe me, watch the Magnificent 7.
ZOMG

Posted by: other liz | May 12, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RKO anyone? | May 12, 2008 2:15 PM
-------------

Not to mention a date or two with Paul Masson.

Posted by: td will sell no wine before its time | May 12, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Dead - Montgomery Clift
Old - Paul Newman

Ah, where are the guys with their picks?

Posted by: jake e. poo | May 12, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

sickest thing ever !!

she could be his mother !!!!!

i mean, hellooooo ?

am i the only one on this earth that thinks this?

Posted by: abby | May 12, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

No one mentioned Old Blue Eyes? What a thoughtless oversight.

And, among the undead, I likes me some Pierce Brosnan. Shaken.

Posted by: ex cap | May 12, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ah, where are the guys with their picks?

Posted by: jake e. poo | May 12, 2008 2:47 PM

****************

Oh, I'd *so* hit that.

Posted by: byoolin speaks for 'the guys'. | May 12, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

My top 5 OGsIWGWAAFDs-

1.) Joel McCrea (watch Sullivan's Travels to see what I mean)
2.) Jim Morrison
3.) Harrison Ford
4.) Gene Kelly
5.) Wm. Shatner (circa 1968 as James T. Kirk. I had a MASSIVE crush on him in Junior High. Thought JTK was "the man.")

Posted by: NW DC | May 12, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd shake Pierce Brosnan's martini any time.

Posted by: musicgeek | May 12, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Ah, abby, how many 11 year olds do you know that have given birth? You must be one of those texting tweener tw*t, since you can't do basic math.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Oldest to youngest? (aka "Dead to Non-Dead")

1. Jayne Mansfield
2. Vivien Leigh
3. Sophia Loren
4. Faye Dunaway
5. Victoria Principal

Posted by: guy with his picks | May 12, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

To other liz,

yes, Yul Brynner was wonderful. Also see The King and I. Top 3 female oldies:

Audrey Hepburn
Sophia Loren
Ingrid Bergman
and top 5 male oldies:

Yul Brynner
Gregory Peck
Charlton Heston (gay or not gay)
Rock Hudson
Clint Eastwood

Posted by: P | May 12, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Given that Renee Russo is 54 and has the body of a pilates instructor, can we safely assume that the cast of the Thomas Crown Affair is the gold standard of gracefully-aged hotness? Russo, Brosnan, Dunaway. Game over.

Posted by: musicgeek | May 12, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Oops! I meant gay or not gay comment for Rock Hudson not for Charlton Heston. Sorry.

Posted by: P | May 12, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Clark Gable, anyone?

Posted by: Luv those old or dead guys..... | May 12, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

How could I forget Peter O'Toole in How to Steal a Million? Move over, Paul Newman.

Posted by: musicgeek | May 12, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Guy, which Jayne Mansfield? The regular or the bobblehead model?

Posted by: Sasquatch, losing his head | May 12, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Gregory Peck? Cary Grant? Gene Kelly? You people are making me drool.

Posted by: h3 | May 12, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

testing testing

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 12, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I'd shake Pierce Brosnan's martini any time.

Posted by: musicgeek | May 12, 2008 2:59 PM

He could stir mine anytime!

Posted by: jes | May 12, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I watched "Red River" the other day, and man is Montgomery Clift sexy. There is one scene where he's wearing his buckskin suit, and a lady takes a poisoned arrow to the shoulder and Monty has to suck out the poison. Yikes!

Posted by: possum | May 12, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmmm, my top celebrity classy dames....that's tough. Okay, I'll offer a few picks from the present and past. But the list will need refinement.

In no particular order (Hell, if they're that hot, why rank order them?):

Kate Winslet (any version)
Jennifer Garner (as Elektra or as Sydney Bristow)
Halle Berry (in her post-pregnancy glory)
Jane Russell (the young version, not the old)
Jamie Lee Curtis (around the time of True Lies)
Kathleen Turner (from Body Heat days)

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 12, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Rene Russo in "The Thomas Crown Affair" -- yeah, baby. Amen to that!

Posted by: td, humming | May 12, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Keep your Clark Gable. He's on my Suspected Smellers list.
But I'll take all the Cary Grant I can!
How about some love for Gene Kelly, very early George C. Scott, maybe a little Jimmy Stewart.
Somebody's got Gregory Peck, right? I want to *live* in "Roman Holiday."
Jack Lemmon. A smattering of Frederic March ... William Holden. Laurence Olivier when he's being mysterious. Not so much when he's being Master Thespian.
I'm really coming out of the old-movies-fan closet, ain't I?

Posted by: other liz | May 12, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Forgot another hottie:

Catherine Zeta-Jones

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 12, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Luv, Clark Gable had bad breath, so he's off my list (sort of like that young guy who refuses to use deodorant -- just can't get past that).

Posted by: lib | May 12, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Women in their prime:

Audrey Hepburn
Katherine Hepburn
Raquel Welch
Mae West
Marilyn Monroe (before sloppy seconds after the Kennedy boys)

Posted by: yellojkt | May 12, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

My five all time faves:

1. James Garner (Maverick, you have my heart!)
2. Gregory Peck (Roman Holiday, sigh)
3. Paul Newman (always & forever)
4. William Holden (Stalag!)
5. Gene Kelly (pining for Judy Garland in Funny Farm as she sings, so sweet!)

Posted by: Nicka | May 12, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

My wife's list of men that only got better with age:

Sting
Paul Newman
George Clooney
Robert Redford
Pierce Brosnan

Posted by: yellojkt | May 12, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Right I almost forgot Cary Elwes of the Princess Bride days although for some reason he didn't age so well to my eyes.

Posted by: PGM | May 12, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

RKO anyone?, I was just thinking I had forgotten about Orson Welles. Thank you for mentioning him.

Posted by: KLeewrite | May 12, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh musicgeek, I'll sign onto your Thomas Crown Affair trifecta. The fact that McQueen & Dunaway did the original only makes it better.

Posted by: NC2 | May 12, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

First of all, I'd like to thank the Academy and all the little people who helped along the way....

What? None of you guys mentioned Queen Helen Mirren? She posed nude for that movie about the calendar girls. Perhaps it was called "Calendar Girls" or something like that.

And there are three old broads who are not just aging gracefully, but are defying gravity:

Eartha Kit
Tina Turner
Lena Horne

To the menfolk:

Cap'n Jean Luc Piccard, Patrick Stewart
Ben Kingsley among the living.

I always had a soft spot for Jimmy Stewart, even when he was an old man. What a cutie pie!

And what about Albert Einstein--talk about the bragging rights for that one!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | May 12, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I thought I was the only one who had a crush on Gene Kelly.

Harrison Ford (in "Witness")
Rock Hudson (in "Giant")
Gene Kelly (in "Marjorie Morningstar")
Gregory Peck (in "To Kill a Mockingbird")
Richard Burton (in "The Robe")
Paul Newman (in "The Long Hot Summer" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof")

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah, and

Sidney Portier (in "To Sir With Love")

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

And

Sean Connery (in "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves")
James Garner (in any "Maverick" episode)

There sure are a lot of fine old guys, aren't there?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

In no particular order:

* Ingrid Bergman
* Myrna Loy
* Prunella Scales
* Jayne Mansfield
* (this space for rent)

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

1. Kelly McGillis in "Top Gun"
2. Rene Russo in "The Thomas Crown Affair"
3. Robin Wright in "The Princess Bride"
4. Helen Hunt circa the first season of "Mad About You"
5. Charlize Theron in "The Devil's Advocate"

That said, I wouldn't turn down, in their younger days:

Cyd Charisse
Audrey Hepburn
Katharine Ross

Posted by: td | May 12, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ok my list:

Grace Kelly
Kathleen Turner
Diane Lane
Natalie Wood
Sigourney Weaver

Posted by: michael | May 12, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh I love Paul Newman. I can't even walk pass the man's salad dressing without going gaga over his baby blue eyes. I don't care how old the man is he is suave.
And Other Liz, my grandfather is a dead ringer for Cary Grant. If Mr. Grant wasn't already dead I'm pretty sure gramps could have quite a successful career as a celebrity impersonator.

Posted by: melissamac1 | May 12, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Diane Lane! Good one, michael. She just knocked Charlize outta my top 5. Natalie Wood is good, too. (Hmm, maybe I'd better rethink this. . . .)

Posted by: td | May 12, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Come on, guys, lets stick with the old or dead. Charlize Theron, is neither.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon,

You seem to have given a lot of thought to the topic. My list would include:

Rock Hudson - "Pillow Talk"
Clark Gable - "It Happened One Night"
Gene Kelly - "An American In Paris"
Maurice Chevalier - "Gigi"
Any James Bond except Roger Moore or Woody Allen

Posted by: yellojkt | May 12, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, here's a dark horse from the back of the pack -- a young George Lucas. Holy smoke, he was a hottie when he was about 20. Before he started growing another head out of the front of his neck.

Posted by: other liz | May 12, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

1. Pierce Brosnan
2. Alan Rickman
3. Harrison Ford
4. Robert Redford
5. David Letterman
6. Rutger Hauer
7. Sam Neal
6. Dustin Hoffman
7. Johnny Depp (not actually old, but why not?)
8. Clive Owen (see #7 above)

Looks aren't everything -- I like a sense of humor and off-beat quirky looks.

Posted by: OMILTF..preferably alive | May 12, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes, indeed, Yellojkt.

I do a lot of concupiscent thinking about old and/or dead guys. They're my type.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Christopher Plummer, Capt. Von Trapp, even if he didn't sing Eldeweiss.

Michael Douglas -- loved him in The American President.

Posted by: Anon for this | May 12, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

HE DIDN"T REALLY SING ELDEWEISS??? my world is crashing down.

Posted by: Hold the phone | May 12, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

And Christopher Reeve.

Posted by: still anon | May 12, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm pretty sure I heard/read that somewhere and now I can't find it!!! Maybe it's not true...Sorry!

Posted by: Re. Edelweiss | May 12, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

+Robert Redford
+Who can resist a young Elvis
+Heath Ledger - cutest I think in Knights Tale and Brokeback.

Posted by: Bahston | May 12, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

mudge,
You always struck me as more of a Donald O'Conner/Don Knotts/Marty Feldman kind of guy.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 12, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

OH, YESSSSSSS.

Marty once told me that I was the apple of his good eye. 'sigh'

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

OHHHHH...christopher plummer. Good one.

I'll also admit to more than a bit of a crush on Old Bing Crosby in White Christmas. And The General at the Inn wasn't so bad either.

Posted by: @anon | May 12, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

And, don't get me started about Don in that salt-and-pepper suit! Wow, could that boy dip in that suit. (I HATE Thelma Lou.)

Donald O'Conner? meh.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

on a completely unrelated topic... it seems like this Mariah/Nick thing is ripe for an Ashton Kutcher tv show...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Originally Plummer was slated to do his own singing, but although he trained during the film and post-recorded his singing vocals, Robert Wise and the creative team felt his voice, although good, was not good enough alongside the excellent voice of Julie Andrews.[3] Plummer agreed with the assessment, so they enlisted Bill Lee to "ghost" Plummer's singing.

Doesn't say what songs, though.

Posted by: If one considers wiki reliable | May 12, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

OMILTF..preferably alive said "2. Alan Rickman"
________________________________

He'd be my number one. YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM

The thought of him whispering sweet nothings in my ear makes me all gushy inside.

Posted by: Cat in my sweater | May 12, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

OMILTF had a great list. I'm going to poach Sam Neill and Alan Rickman.

Posted by: methinks | May 12, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Rutger Hauer.
A young Rutger Hauer needs a young O.L. to whisper sweet nothings in his ear in Dutch, one of my secret, useless skills.
Mmmmm!

Posted by: other liz | May 12, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

You can keep your young George Lewis and I'll take the present day Steven Spielberg!

And the rest of youse...shame on you adding young folks to your list. Dare to lust after the old folks--dead or alive!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | May 12, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I'll keep him, all right!

Posted by: other liz | May 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that it was probably Clark Gable's dentures that caused the bad breath.

eeeeew!

Let's leave him quietly, peacefully dead.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Scarlett Johansson will be old someday and I will still think she's hawt. Of course, I may be dead by then.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 12, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Peter Sellers, I'm a sucker for guys who make me laugh.

Posted by: petal | May 12, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Almost forgot Gary Oldman from The Professional.

Posted by: petal | May 12, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Petal,

Yes, yes, yes. Peter Sellers in "The Mouse That Roared"!

He played three major parts - Tully Bascomb, the Grand Dutchess, and the Prime Minister(something for everyone).

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

what about Ralph Fiennes in the English Patient??? He is not old, but he is also not very young. Has anyone heard of Natalie Imbruglia the singer??? She is a beauty. There's this German actor Sebastian Koch who is quite a hunk.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Now that you mention Helen Mirren, I'm constantly bemused at how smashingly gorgeous Dame Judi Dench looks. If I can't have Rene Russo's body when I'm, um, past my prime, can I please have Dame Judi's regal presence?

Posted by: musicgeek | May 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

One last one:

Gary Cooper (in "Friendly Persuasion")

Posted by: Curmud I forget | May 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh FINE, here's my only-old-or-dead list (Charlize, see you in 40 years):

1. Natalie Wood
2. Cyd Charisse
3. Lee Remick
4. Joanne Woodward
5. Susan Hayward

Posted by: td | May 12, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

"Once were hawt, now are NOT"

Nick Nolte
Mickey Rourke
Any of the Baldwin Bros, except Alec
Val Kilmer

And, for the men...

Kim Cattrell (sp)
Carrie Fisher

Posted by: new topic | May 12, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

HOW did I forget Gary Cooper?
And, okay, confession time. I loves me some Jackie Chan. And Bruce Lee. Zowie.

Posted by: other liz | May 12, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Best oldies, but goodies:

1) Gene Kelly (always and forever!)
2) Paul Newman
3) Cary Grant
4) Gregory Peck
5) William Holden

Ladies:

1) Greta Garbo
2) Marlene Dietrich
3) Audrey Hepburn
4) Ingrid Bergman
5) Grace Kelly

Posted by: Zee | May 12, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Reading these lists makes me wonder:

Do they not make them like that anymore?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Keep your Clark Gable. He's on my Suspected Smellers list.

Posted by: other liz | May 12, 2008 3:25 PM

**********************************

I may start working on my list as soon as I finish laughing. HAHAHAHA!!!

(Vivian Leigh did say he had bad breath for the kissing scenes in GWTW.)

Posted by: alex | May 12, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Old men I lusted for in their (and my) youth --

Clint Eastwood and (yes, I admit it) Keith Richards.

Posted by: SatchelFan | May 12, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

That Gary Cooper was hot stuff. Did you know he had an affair w/ Patricia Neal and she had to have an abortion? It all started with "The Fountainhead."

Posted by: possum | May 12, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Gotta have a guy who has a great deep voice and makes me laugh, such as:
Clint Eastwood
Sean Connery
Bogie
Gable (w/denture cleaner)
William Powell
James Garner

oh, and serious guys for good measure:
Jeremy Irons
Daniel Day-Lewis (a la Last of the Mohicans)

Posted by: Likes Old Guys | May 12, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Charlton Heston in Benhur.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

1. Tina Louise
2. Marilyn Monroe
3. Rhonda Fleming
4. Cyd Charisse
5. Natalie Wood

Posted by: JB | May 13, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

OK, if you're hot for the dead guys, here's my list:

1. Alan Bates (adored him in everything he did)
2. Gary Cooper
3. Gene Kelly
4. Cary Grant
5. Charlie Chaplin (young version quite handsome)
6. Leslie Howard
7. Gregory Peck
8. Henry Fonda
9. Jimmy Stewart
10. Oliver Reed

Is that enough necrophilia for today?

Posted by: OMILTF again.... | May 13, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

One more piece of necrophilia. The Bruce Lee reference reminded me:

Did anyone see The Crow? Brandon Lee was absolutely beautiful.

Posted by: KLeewrite | May 13, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

RKO anyone? - I'm with you on young Orson Welles, especially as Harry Lime in the Third Man

Can I get some love for the young Peter O'Toole?

Posted by: moi | May 13, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Old or dead guys:

Malcolm McDowell
Patrick Stewart
Gregory Peck
Gene Kelly
Harrison Ford

Posted by: Jennifer | May 13, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

old guys list
sean connery (drool)
elvis (young version)
clark gable (i'll hold my nose)
chuck conners (rifleman, xcuse sp)

Posted by: Sheila | May 13, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

i forgot peter graves

Posted by: sheila | May 13, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

How about a young and pumped Arnold. There is something about Conan the Barbarian that does it for me!

Posted by: Goofing | May 13, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's my extensive list. I know I cheated more than a little and threw in some not so old guys, like Elwes, Kilmer, Bean, Wong, etc. Sosume. (I could have been bad and included Clive Owen and a few others, but I figured they already got picked up, figuratively, by some of the other posters.)

--Alan Rickman (Best voice EVER, but John Hurt and James Earl Jones are up there with him.)
--Paul Newman (The Long, Hot Summer--yowza.)
--DDL (Last of the Mohicans era, not Gangs of New York.)
--Pierce Brosnan (Remington Steele onward--guy's still got it.)
--Cary Elwes (Lady Jane and Princess Bride era--not so old, but I hardly recognize him now.)
--Sean Bean (Sharpe.)
--Val Kilmer (Mad Martigan from Willow, not Iceman.)
--Russell Wong (Eat a Bowl of Tea--why isn't RW in more feature films?)
--Sam Neill (My Brilliant Career.)
--John Lone (The Last Emperor, M Butterfly.)
--Richard Chamberlain (Shogun!)
--Mel Gibson (Great eyes. Gallipoli, The Year of Living Dangerously.)
--Omar Sharif (But only in Lawrence of Arabia--I thought he was pretty creepy in everything after that.)
--Jon-Erik Hexum (Does anyone remember this model/actor who played Mac Harper on Cover Up? He died from an accidental shooting on the set. I doubt he would have ended up winning an Academy Award or anything, but he was young and gorgeous.)
--Jim Morrison
--Gregory Peck (The Big Country.)
--Charlton Heston (Also in The Big Country with Peck and Chuck Connors. Loved him in Ben Hur, too.)
--Cary Grant (Great young, simply stunning old.)
--Ronald Colman (A Tale of Two Cities, The Prisoner of Zenda, Raffles.)
--William Powell (My Man Godfrey, the Thin Man movies, Mister Roberts.)
--Tyrone Power (Prince of Foxes, Captain from Castile, The Black Swan.)

I also have a weakness for a lot of British film/TV actors like Ian Ogilvy (remember the Return of the Saint series, or even I, Claudius?), Simon Ward (The 4 Musketeers), Patrick Ryecart (Arthur the King/Merlin & the Sword), and, of course Anthony Andrews (all those wonderful period/costume movies, but especially The Scarlet Pimpernel). And I didn't have the hots for George Sanders, but all those witty and debonair characters he played made me think he'd be a fun date at the Ritz. As he ended up committing suicide, that probably wasn't the case in real life. But, then, we're judging all of these names based purely on the façade, aren't we?

Posted by: alex | May 13, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Alex -- We share the same taste in men. I lean toward the Brit/Irish/Scots genre and would have added Liam Neeson to my list but he's not an OM yet. Also Aidan Quinn, Stephen Rea, Gerard Butler (the eyes have it), Robert Carlyle, Rufus Sewell, Hugh Grant, Kenneth Branagh, the list could go on forever.

I have one long time favorite: John Castle. He's a 'character actor' and you've probably seen him in BBC productions. He was in "Man of La Mancha" and "The Lion in Winter." He has aged quite well and still working in British TV. There's a website devoted to him by another fan who has gathered stage and screen photos.

Posted by: OMILTF | May 14, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

OMILTF, I was *devastated* when John Castle/Postumus met his untimely end in I, Claudius. (I love that miniseries because I can pretend I'm watching it for its artistry--which I am, in part--rather than to ogle an entire generation of British male thespians in tunics.)

And agree with ALL your other sigh-worthy additions to my list.

Posted by: alex | May 14, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

nefawtjpi xpctuy avnzopx tahqu fonyzgb tfslncjrq tlhas

Posted by: depas yzwnujm | May 27, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

yilfchso auje otadpyjsk lipnzo nczxqmo fqci eklc http://www.mxjtosfbq.bpdljyt.com

Posted by: vezi xmutj | May 27, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

jery fmgto vmqbho jhrk itovw ovfqw tzhkdsfnr tvauicdk cevrd

Posted by: liaj qipoxd | May 27, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

ktbynm hzfnmpd kmtcfhvgu slbduckh njgh scudtb skmvq [URL=http://www.zgpdhkbo.vhibpuqys.com]yakudwezo hjbqadw[/URL]

Posted by: vnsqxc kydro | May 27, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

subildor wydta gwmrub iauqc jbfma geystdzcb hufpiy [URL]http://www.yleqzb.sejmx.com[/URL] mdpujkf gyreji

Posted by: ujqncwpy hnfcort | May 27, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse