Posted at 11:18 AM ET, 05/19/2008

Comment Box: John Mayer's Mojo? All in the 'Tude?

By Liz Kelly

Warning: Viewing photo may cause uncontrollable desire to date this man. (Getty Images)

What do you think Jen Aniston could possibly see in John Mayer? He's been drinking too much koo-koo-kool-aid in my book. Doesn't that seem like an odd match? -- Submitted during last week's Celebritology Live discussion

Koo-koo-Koolaid or not, 30-year-old John Mayer seems to have an almost Lance Armstrong-esque ability to attract his choice of A-list (okay, maybe B) lady loves: Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jessica Simpson, Minka Kelly, among others. And, now, Hollywood untouchable Jennifer Aniston. Just last week, pictures of Mayer snogging with Aniston poolside in Miami hit the net with all the force of Brangelina baby bump shot.

And not only is Mayer considered a jumbo-sized chick magnet, he apparently has the ability to love 'em and leave 'em, rendering his exes inconsolable: Last week, a drunken Jessica Simspon was rumored to have been removed from a Hollywood hotel bar on the same day the JenJohn (remember, you heard that portmanteau here first!) pix surfaced on the Web. Coincidence? Maybe. (Of course, Simpson's debauchery could also have been a reaction to rumors of a split from most recent boyfriend Tony Romo.)

So what's the attraction?

Is it, as pal Josh Groban says, Mayer's "swagger" and "'tude," or something else that makes him such a catch?

Mayer claims he's just a nice guy.

"I don't have a secret," Mayer recently told People. "I don't think about it like that. I think about it as just being nice. All you have to do is just be polite and treat people really well."

For the record, the date-ready Mayer has never taken any of his romantic relationships to the cohabitation level. According to Wikipedia, Mayer "splits his time between his home in the Los Angeles suburbs (with his roommate and sound engineer, Chad Franscoviak) and his apartment in the New York City neighborhood of SoHo."

-----

Comment of the Week
"I can't believe i finally have something in common with Gwyneth. It's almost as if she were HUMAN, and NOT insouci[a]nt!" -- Wats comments on Gwyneth Paltrow's aversion to back fat, in last Thursday's Morning Mix.

By Liz Kelly  | May 19, 2008; 11:18 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Ashlee and Pete Wed in 'Wonderland'
Next: Morning Mix: R. Kelly Trial Set to Begin

Comments

I have to say I don't get the hoopla about John Mayer. His "your body is a wonderland" is kinda creepy to me.
Maybe he's got 'hidden' talents?

Posted by: jlr | May 19, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

i think it's the no-strings-attached allure of a lost weekend ...

but i am getting old... the only effect he has on me is to say "Sit up straight, dear and comb your hair."

*sigh*

Posted by: b | May 19, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm telling you, stop with the John Mayer posts, Liz! Keeps bringing back the memory of him in that Borat thong photo -- my eyes, they burn!

And I'm with jlr -- Mayer's songs ARE creepy. Not just "wonderland" (hey -- wonderland -- first Flashlee and Pete, now John -- is this Wonderland Monday?) but also "fathers be good to your daughers." I have friends with daughters who love that song and to me it is highly disturbing.

Posted by: td | May 19, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one here that watched his short-lived VH1 show?

The guy is funny & "gets" all the jokes made about him & his music.

This does not mean I'd drop my panties at the sight of the man, but I kinda understand his appeal.

I save the panty dropping for Jon Bon Jovi & Roger Clyne only.

Posted by: Bored @ work | May 19, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

oooh, honored to see i got the quote of the week!

on the JenJohn thing...doesn't it seem a little...i dunno...MANUFACTURED?? i mean, here she is, getting a little long in the tooth, past her prime by hollywood standards, but with a movie to promote...here's the young hottie who beds all the young starlets....see where i'm going? didn't the studios used to make fake matches just to get the press? that's what i think is going on here. this has got to be a ruse. i don't care if there are pics of them in the pool. they had to know there were paparazzi taking their pics. it's all a setup. let's not buy into it!!!

Posted by: wats | May 19, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Aniston, Schmaniston. The real surprise is that the Super Sensitive Boy Wonder has a tattoo sleeve. I had no idea.

While I (a) go for bad boys, (b) go for bad boys who are skilled guitar players and (c) like "Why, Georgia" and "Say," I can't say I'd get all in a tizzy over John Mayer.

He's no Mick Jagger.

Jack White, on the other hand, is a fox, and I never would have thought so if I hadn't seen him in "Shine a Light." Even my mother, who would probably prefer that I end up with someone with a closet full of Brooks Brothers, volunteered that he was a "hottie."

Posted by: musicgeek | May 19, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

when i was in college john meyer did a show on campus and my best friends just had to meet him (or they would die.) so we stood outside in a dark parking lot in the cold and rain for a glimpse of john. he did come get pictures with them and speak to us for a few minutes but i was so over it i just wanted to go home and to bed. they said he had animal magnatism, i was more concerned about my wet cold feet so i couldn't say. but he does have a cute butt.

Posted by: melissamac1 | May 19, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"Be nice?"

That's IT?

"Be nice" gets you laid like tomorrow's The End Of The World?

Dayum!

Posted by: byoolin wishes he knew then, etc., etc., etc. | May 19, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

wats, since when is 39 "long in the tooth" even for Hollywood standards? Also older women dating younger men is the trend now, haven't you been paying attention. Though I'm no Jennifer Aniston defender, but if my husband left me for another woman, I wouldn't be so quick to jump into a serious relationship. As I see it they are both just having fun. Why does it have to be analyzed to death?

Posted by: 41 and still fabulous | May 19, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE John Mayer. I think he is totally sexy in that "I can be an a**hole or I could write you a love song" kind of way. I am thrilled to find out that he has tattoo sleeve. This only adds to his hotness.

Posted by: Marie | May 19, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

This blog posting will be printed and added to my "I don't understand women" scrapbook.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he's just jumbo-sized, y'know what I mean?

Or confidence really is the biggest aphrodisiac.

Curious ... why is Jen a "Hollywood untouchable?" Does that mean she's squeaky clean, aloof, unapproachable ... I'd love an explanation.

Posted by: Californian | May 19, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe he's just jumbo-sized, y'know what I mean?"

Size only matters if you know what to do with it.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Aniston sucks. Go Angelina!

-team Angelina.

Posted by: LA | May 19, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the first definition that came to mind when reading about Jen Aniston as untouchable was the Indian caste definition:
"one that is untouchable; specifically : a member of a large formerly segregated hereditary group in India having in traditional Hindu belief the quality of defiling by contact a member of a higher caste"

Must. Not. Defile. The. Aniston!

Posted by: Hollywood Untouchable | May 19, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wats, I'm with you. Not a day goes by that I don't see this guy's face, or other body parts, on People.com and I have no clue who he is. However, the whole serial "bedding down starlets" while having a male roommate is sounding a little Rock Hudson to me (no offense to others who have male roommates, or to Rock Hudson.)

Posted by: possum | May 19, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm a nice guy with a better voice than John Mayer and yet I can't get a date to save my life. He definitely has something else working for him. I think the guitar has something to do with it.

Although I did get compared to Chris Evans (Human Torch, Jake Wyler) today....

Posted by: michael | May 19, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he's just jumbo-sized, y'know what I mean?

Posted by: Californian | May 19, 2008 1:24 PM

********************

But there's that 'Borat' picture, isn't there? (Yes, there are some uncertainties inherent in attempting to extrapolate the, ah, jumbo picture from the visible evidence, but still...)

Posted by: byoolin would rather not consider John Mayer's genitals at any more length. As it were. | May 19, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"Aniston sucks."

SO THAT'S what John Mayer sees in her.

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 19, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

John Mayer is like the Adam Duritz of this decade. Try explaining that dude's roster:

Christina Applegate
Lara Flynn Boyle
Mary-Louise Parker
Monica Potter
Teri Hatcher
Jennifer Anniston
Winona Ryder
Courtney Cox

Maybe it's the faux dreads.

Posted by: Jones | May 19, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly, I noticed that one name linked to 'Jumbo' John Mayer is that of a Minka Kelly. Please tell us there's not some sort of conflict of celebritinterest here!

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

You wouldn't expect Jennifer Aniston to be giddy like a schoolgirl these days. But the former "Friend" has been glowing of late, pals of the actress tell us. The reason can't just be that she is dating John Mayer. What we hear is there is a certain feature of John that leaves Jen so pleased. The crooner's ex-paramours reveal he is hell to get over, not because he's a great guy, but because he's a "great" guy, if you know what we mean. "His body actually is a wonderland," one ex was overheard saying.

Posted by: This is why | May 19, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Possum I was thinking the same thing when I saw the male roommate. What, neither he nor the sound engineer make enough to get their own separate places?

The Romo/Br*asts break up was allegedly over her not being over Mayer. Not that she was a distraction to his football playing.

Posted by: ep | May 19, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

whoops forgot to add that was from the NYDN article on mayer/aniston. i cant seem to post the link.

Posted by: This is why take 2 | May 19, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Re: Michael

If you were compared to Chris Evans today, I'm sure you are very attractive. Maybe you are too nice? As previously mentioned, girls (including myself) have a tendency to be drawn towards jerks.

Posted by: Marie is totally regretting admitting to liking John Mayer | May 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

While, admittedly, the Adam Durwitz list supplied by Jones is pretty impressive, shouldn't there be an asterisk beside Winona Ryder's name? 'cause, seriously, I don't think there's a rocker or actor from the 90's who *WASN'T* tied to Winona at one time or another. Girl got around.

Now the real question is who did Hootie and Blowfish hook up with?

Posted by: Wait a minute... | May 19, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

It must be the big bamboo.

Posted by: Mickey | May 19, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Some women are not able to tell the difference between guys who are in love with them are guys who just want to have sex with them. Hint: John falls in the second category.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | May 19, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Now the real question is who did Hootie and Blowfish hook up with?

Posted by: Wait a minute... | May 19, 2008 2:31 PM

***************

Well, in that episode of Friends (The One With Hootie And The Blowfish (actually, "The One With Five Steaks and an Eggplant")), Monica who got a hickey from a Blowfish.

And so the circle is complete.

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Some women are not able to tell the difference between [a] guys who are in love with them are and [b] guys who just want to have sex with them.
Posted by: MoCoSnarky | May 19, 2008 2:39 PM

**************

Mathematically speaking, [a] is a subset of [b].

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

...and grammatically speaking, "it was Monica who got a hickey..."

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

There are few men on the planet who make me as sick to my stomach as John Mayer. I seriously get a tick every time I hear his sorry excuse for a voice. That said, I understand the effect a guitar and a wee bit of songwriting skill can have on a woman. Add in a stage with some fancy lights and screaming girls and it can be hard to resist even the most reviled of characters. Seen it a million times. Sad but oh so true.

Posted by: Juicy | May 19, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I guess nobody on this site is much of a music fan because John M. is a phenomenal musician. Eric Clapton was one of his mentors - the man is now close to SRV-legend territory. "Wonderland" and "Daughters" are definitely his lamest songs - I believe he begged his record label not to release "Daughters" as a single.

Anyway - his last CD, "Continuum" has quite a number of terrific bluesy songs. Great lyrics, too. (Although I have to admit that the song he wrote for the "Bucket List" movie was also pretty lame.)

There aren't very many "Singer-Songwriter" types around anymore (i.e., Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Clapton, Winwood, etc) - so this kid's music is pretty refreshing.

BTW - as a middle-aged woman, I appreciate the fact that he talks about his parents in some of his songs - what a nice boy.

Posted by: Mayer fan | May 19, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Let's reword, shall we?

There's a difference between a guy who just wants to have sex with you and a guy who wants to have sex with just you.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | May 19, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Possum, the male roommate doesn't raise my gaydar as much as the phrase "his pal Josh Groban" does.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | May 19, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"the man is now close to SRV-legend territory"

posted by Posted by: Mayer fan | May 19, 2008 3:05 PM

*********

But nobody will ever make a statue of John Mayer.

Posted by: michael | May 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

In the photo that accompanies this post, John Mayer looks vacant, as though he's either 1) trying to form the word "the" in his brain but can't or 2) on his way somewhere and forgot his destination. I imagine that any proclamations about his appeal are projecting substance on a (literally) blank canvas.

Posted by: td | May 19, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't know....there's a statue of Shakira, for Pete's sake.

Posted by: Mayer fan | May 19, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, there will never be a statue of Don Knotts....

Posted by: Mayer fan | May 19, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ? | May 19, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

In Lithuania there's a statue of Frank Zappa.

Now, that was a man who knew how to talk about love and romance.

Posted by: byoolin arriving too late to save a drowning witch. | May 19, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'd rather sit through a Shakira concert rather than a John Mayer concert.

Posted by: michael | May 19, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

3.34, see "Lewis, Huey."

And, are you still touring with The Mysterians?

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I see a little silhouetto of a man....

Posted by: Mayer fan | May 19, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Not that I thought she was a genius, but the six degrees of separation (or two) between Jennifer Aniston and Jessica Simpson now makes me think Jennifer is an idiot. Again, I didn't think she was brilliant, but she never struck me as a moron until now.

Posted by: pockets | May 19, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Now all I can hear in my head is The Rezillos singing "My Baby Does Good Sculpture."

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he's got 'hidden' talents?

Posted by: jlr | May 19, 2008 11:42 AM

I totally agree...his songs seem like fluff to me. I'd never seen him until I looked at the pictures today. And I gotta say...meh.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Here's a SAT question for Mayer fan:

John Mayer is to Stevie Ray Vaughn as . . .

a) wine coolers are to bourbon;

b) steak-ums are to filet mignon;

c) Swisher Sweets are to Cohibas; or

d) All of the Above.

Posted by: Anson | May 19, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he's got 'hidden' talents?

Posted by: jlr | May 19, 2008 11:42 AM

Posted by: Sappho | May 19, 2008 4:07 PM

Posted by: Sappho | May 19, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post, folks. System hiccup. Must be time to stop work for the day!

Posted by: Sappho | May 19, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

There is a certain web site that offers mini Zagat-style reviews about the hidden assets of male celebrities. I don't know anything about this site, except that even the title is NSFW. You might be able to locate the site if you Google the phrase

celebrity p3nis length

Now I don't know nuthin' 'bout nuthin', but if one were to find that web site and open it, one might find a review of John Mayer's hidden assets and talents.

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 19, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Sasq you have this website bookmarked. Am I right?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, after awhile the serial dating gets to be a bit, well, suspicious. Maybe John Mayer and Derek Jeter could room together?

Posted by: really? | May 19, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe John Mayer and Derek Jeter could room together?"

So who would be whom's beard?

YANKEES SUCK!

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 19, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Frank Zappa! He was one sexy guy.

Posted by: possum | May 19, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"the man is now close to SRV-legend territory"

*********

But nobody will ever make a statue of John Mayer.

***************

But maybe, with some luck, somebody will offer Mayer a helicopter ride.

Posted by: OverTheTop | May 19, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"i thought jason priestly was famous for his umm, package. didnt know about mayer"

James Woods, too. Ugh. But nowhere near as gross as Tommy Lee.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

please look at this news upskirt =D

Posted by: arni | May 19, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha. Just a wild guess that Sasquatch doesn't have season tickets at Yankee Stadium.

Posted by: really? | May 19, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Doubt if studio is duping us. Pretty sure Mayer can sell music to the college crowd without "directions" from Jennifer. Don't think he needs the job. She just needs a little ego boost and he's willing to provide it. Why not? Her bod is hot, even if she does have smoker's face; maybe she's sick of the whole Brad/Angie thing and needs a break. I know I am.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

This is Aniston and her manager's engineered "romance" to counter-balance Jolie-Pitt mega Cannes/baby news. At least both Aniston and Mayer got their names printed on Washington Post. It's worth it albeit it's all fake. Only the delusional Aniston fans who need her to be 'happy and married again' believe in this charade.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse