Posted at 7:35 AM ET, 05/19/2008

Morning Mix: Ashlee and Pete Wed in 'Wonderland'

By Liz Kelly

Nicole Kidman, with husband Keith Urban, shows off her baby bump at Sunday's Academy of Country Music Awards. The trailer for Kidman's upcoming movie, 'Australia,' was recently released online. (AP)
Monday

Headlines: Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz wed in "Wonderland"... Kenny Chesney tops country music awards, but criticizes fan votes... Britney Spears splashes through Costa Rica vacation... Scarlett Johansson misses Cannes film premiere... Diddy says Kanye West concert changed his life... Fourth time's the charm: Loni Anderson marries folk singer... Boy George sells clothes at London street market... Colin Farrell slims way down -- for a film role, he says.

Rumor Mill: Kate Hudson spends some quality time with Lance Armstrong... Despite rumored split, Tony Romo escorts Jessica Simpson to sister's wedding... Will Smith school linked to Scientology... Brody Jenner parties his way through Chicago... Prince Harry involved in high-speed car chase.

Live from Cannes: At Noon ET, the Post's Bill Booth on the latest from the star-studded film festival.

By Liz Kelly  | May 19, 2008; 7:35 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Lost' Dueling Analysis: There's No Place Like Home, Part 1
Next: Comment Box: John Mayer's Mojo? All in the 'Tude?

Comments

I have said this before about Kate Hudson: that girl gets around. Where is her little boy while she is flitting from one guy to the next?

Posted by: new england | May 19, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

In that Colin Farrell they called him a "lusty leprechaun."

The mental pic that brings to mind is just all kinds of wrong on so many levels.

Posted by: Bored @ work | May 19, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Kate Hudson is indeed a 'ho. But so is Lance Armstrong, so I guess it's all good.

"Alice in Wonderland" theme for a wedding? I'm going to have to guess none of them have actually read the book....

Oh what I am saying! Simpson family? Read a book? Not bloody likely.

Posted by: jaybbub | May 19, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

My mind can't wrap itself around an Alice in Wonderland themed wedding. How does that story lend itself to a wedding? And there are so many different ways to go with it...psychedelic, literary...but I imagine the Simpsons just went with the watered down Disney version. Just. Plain. Weird.

Scarlett Johansen = diva. Who knew?

Posted by: methinks | May 19, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Scarlet can be a diva for all I care, she is still at the top of my list. Also, the picture of her is really helping out my Monday morning.

Posted by: michael | May 19, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

-new england, you're so right. Kate Hudson gets around. That girl doesn't even cool down before she on the next man.

-I thought Joe Simpson gave up being a pastor so he can pimp Jessica instead.

Posted by: Lisa1 | May 19, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Alice in Wonderland themed wedding? I thought only 8 year olds have "themed parties". What really pissed me off was I was watching The Soup then they cut in with "Breaking News" re: the wedding. How is a wedding breaking news?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Ho's, hasn't Scarlett Johansen been with about 25 different guys in the last 3 years? My wife thinks that there are about 50 people in Hollywood, male and female, that just share with each other. I hope they have all been tested for STD's.

Posted by: DW | May 19, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Loni Anderson marries folk singer Boy George...."

You need to put some kind of bold dividing lines ||| between those two stories. Just the thought of a Loni Anderson & Boy George union made the hair on my neck stand up.

Posted by: M Street | May 19, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Alice in Wonderland theme, indeed. It would have been better if they'd had a rabbit as the ring bearer.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | May 19, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Saw that on The Soup, too. That show's the best thing E's got going and they somehow mess that up! Some sort of breaking news ticker would have been fine for the few people who were interested.

Posted by: rachelt | May 19, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I guess its proven that Ashlee did not save herself for marriage the way Jess did. I wonder if her Dad ever gave her a promise ring to be the man in her life until she got married like he did for Jess. Man that guy is creepy!

Posted by: sjcpeach | May 19, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Liz! I need your help! I am going to Miami beach this weekend and staying in a pretty posh hotel. Are there any celebs that we know are going to be down there? I really want to see someone fabulous. I promise to report back if I do!!

Posted by: MIAMI | May 19, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Britney's insouciant!

"Her insouciant demeanour is in stark contrast to the Britney the world has seen in recent times and proves the star is reaching a turning point in her turbulent life."

Move over, Gwyneth.

Posted by: m.a.t. | May 19, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Will Smith's new school has more than a 'link' to Scientology; according to its own website, it will be using Scientology founder L Ron Hubbard's unproven "Learning Tech".

Children brought up in schools which use "The Tech" will often be the children of CoS members, and/or be exposed to Scientology's recruitment propaganda early on.

For an idea of just how bizarre and unhelpful Scientology schools can be, read some of the testimonies at http://www.exscientologykids.org

Posted by: A. Non Emus | May 19, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

'The time has come,'
Joe Simpson said,
'to talk of many things -
of Us and Star and People mag,
of promos and of bling.
And why Ashlee is wedding now,
though she (and Jess) can's sing.'

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

can't can't can't can't CAN'T sing.

bah.

Posted by: byoolin corrects himself. | May 19, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

This is probably better directed at Bill Booth, but I wonder if Monaco's House of Grimaldi is represented at the film festival.

In other words, do they have Prince Albert in Cannes?

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bored @ work | May 19, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Byoo, you've outdone yourself. Prince Albert in Cannes, indeed.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | May 19, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Oh yes, apropos of nothing, I am now two for two. I won the Preakness Pool among my co-workers this weekend, taking away a nice little pot on top of the Derby Pool a few weeks ago. On to the Belmont!

Posted by: methinks | May 19, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"In other words, do they have Prince Albert in Cannes?"
------------------------------------------

No more calls, folks. We have a weener!!!

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 19, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

oh, please, byoolin will outdo himself by 9:45 tomorrow.

Posted by: methink | May 19, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

*bows down to byoolin* You rock.

And people, please! Can we refer to the younger Simpson by her excellent Celebritology name, Flashlee. Thank you.

Posted by: jaybbub | May 19, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

And Will Smith is starting to sound like that old windbag L Ron Hubbard, who at various times claimed all sorts of qualifications such as "nuclear engineer."

Will, I'm sorry, just because you are a movie star and get to play intelligent educated people doesn't mean you are one in real life.

Esp if you are getting the bulk of your knowlege/information from the Cult of Scientology's Hollywood Celebrity Centre.

The Will Smith Village Academy is filled with brainwashed scientology teachers.

Posted by: Daisy Inu | May 19, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The Simpson family, such a classy group.

Posted by: new england | May 19, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

methinks, stop with the horse racing. you're creeping me out

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

thank gawd there are no negative posts on linsey today! team linsey!

Posted by: luvlindsey | May 19, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

[As for Jessica's "promise ring" I'd heard somewhere that it was magically "lost" when she was opening for Ricky Martin."]

Y'know, based on the context, the phrase "opening for Ricky Martin" could mean a couple of different things here.

Details?

Posted by: Kevin | May 19, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Shame on Mr. Smith for supporting a racist organization like Scientology. "Wassa madda wit you, hat?" http://youtube.com/watch?v=2iy0HMrRcYs

Posted by: shame | May 19, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Considering some of the rumors about Ricky Martin, I would think that would be the last place Jessica would "lose" her promise ring.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe people would send there children into the hands of Cult members of Cashology, don't these parents LOOK online first to check out the validity of "THE TECH" written by a compulsive liar, and a paranoid schizophrenic who wrote science fiction and believed he was reincarnated dead space alien souls. I wouldn't let my child on the same street, let alone inside. No! I think we can find another school

Posted by: Mr Longcat | May 19, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, and Prince Albert and "promise ring" together on same blog...coincidence? I'm sure Prince Albert will be there....with bells on.

Personally, I don't think Lance Armstrong ever dates women who eat. You either throw up every other meal, or he dumps you.

Posted by: possum | May 19, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

"Colin Farrell slims way down -- for a film role, he says."

Considering what Christian Bale looked like when he lost 60lbs for The Machinist, Colin Farrell still looks rather chunky.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

If Kate Hudson doesn't play ball with Lance the way he likes, he'll take his ball and play with someone else.

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 19, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Interesting bit about the Will Smith School--in addition to using teaching methods not accredited anywhere in the US, "If a child makes a wrong decision, instead of going to the principal's office, he or she speaks to the ethics teacher."

If a scientologist isn't toe-ing the cult line in their behavior or public statements, they are sent to their "ethics officer." Just how much Scientology is in the NVA anyway?

Posted by: David | May 19, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow- how pretty is Nicole Kidman? She looks great and naturally luminous- pregancy seems to be agreeing with her. I'm glad she doesn't have that usual botoxed-frozen face.

To MIAMI- if you want to "star" gaze, you can always stay at the Delano hotel on Collins ave. in South beach. It has always been one of the favorite spots where celebrities stay or like to be seen.

Posted by: plamar1031 | May 19, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"thank gawd there are no negative posts on linsey today! team linsey!"

Probably because she's been taking her Valtrex and not infecting anyone.

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 19, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

looks like the prince is no longer fresh nor in bel-air. another star heads down the bridge to total nonsense.

Posted by: lawbster | May 19, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Why is Diddy feeding Kanye West's ego? It needs to slim down more than Will Ferrell does.

Posted by: ep | May 19, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Way off topic, but I see Oprah is having a 'Mary Tyler Moore Show' cast reunion on her show today. How do you think she'll manage to make a beloved classic comedy all about O?

Posted by: jes | May 19, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Re: Jessica Simpson/Tony Romo date. If that USMag story is correct, how sad is it that her dad BEGGED Romo to be Jess's date at her sis's wedding. If I could shout out advice to her- I'd say, "cut the ties to your creepy dad and get on with your life already". She should be able to hold her own, instead she reeks of desperation and neediness.

Posted by: plamar1031 | May 19, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

m.a.t. beat me to the insouciant punch, and byoolin's too funny.

i got nothing.

go Big Brown! a Triple Crown winner would be a nice start to the summer.

Posted by: b | May 19, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jes | May 19, 2008 11:28 AM

Oh, jes, that's easy it will be about how the show affected HER, being a single female professional, working in broadcast journalism. How SHE wanted to be Mary Richards. Come on, this woman can somehow make testicular cancer all about HER.

I have to post this anonomously, if my Grammy ever knew I was not an Oprah fan she would be very disappointed in me and we can't have Grammy disappointed in me. I'm her favorite.

Posted by: anon for now | May 19, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Students in Will Smith's new school will not be allowed to yawn in class. Why? Because part of L Ron Hubbard's "study tech"'s misguided principles is that a student will yawn in class because he skipped over a word that he didn't look up in a dictionary. There's nothing wrong with looking up words in dictionaries, but when the methodology involves stopping at a word (rather than learning by context), and then being told that you're yawning because you didn't bother to look up it's meaning, then there's something suspect about the whole system.

Despite what L Ron Hubbard claims, he is neither an accredited teacher, naval hero, youngest Boy Scout ever, physicist (he failed physics...), nor whatever lies he's propogated.

Six of the faculty in this school are known Scientologists. If this doesn't prove that Mr. and Mrs. Smith are closet Scientologists, then I don't know what will convince the public. Will Smith can lie all he wants that he isn't one, but Scientologists are allowed to lie according to their religion because they truly believe they are the most ethical group on the planet.

Also, they believe that Jesus is a figment of the imagination, implanted by Xenu. Maybe Will Smith hasn't reached Operating Thetan Level III to learn that crap, yet, but until then, he really, truly believes that he's doing something right. I pity him, and wish he'd wake up.

Posted by: Steve Daly | May 19, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I thought the same thing about Loni Anderson and Boy George. Scary (because Boy George could do so much better).

Posted by: td | May 19, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

For many years as a Scientologist, I have been sheltered from the abuses of my "church". Now I know that it is a cult and all the associated arms of the RTC (Religious Technology Center) like Applied Scholastics, Study Tech, Narconon, are all false and ineffective. I hope Will Smith sees the error of his ways and his very expensive school doesn't apply LRH Study Tech. It's ineffective and the kids who go there will not learn any practical living skills. Look at me, I can't be employed beyond the service industry because I can't do critical thinking my emotional intelligence is not beyond an 18 year old's, if that.

Posted by: Terryeo | May 19, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Funny that as soon as the judge granted her more time with the kids Britney fled the country.

Posted by: jes | May 19, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Will Smith, Mr Cool duped! Oh Willy Willy Willy, why would you align yourself with such an organization, long known to abuse children in there SEA ORG. Please Willy say it ain't so? That's not the Will we loved. Will Smith wouldn't do that to us. Would he???

Posted by: Mr Longcat | May 19, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"Come on, [Oprah] can somehow make testicular cancer all about HER."

Posted by: anon for now | May 19, 2008 11:49 AM

------------

SO TRUE. Before the show ends, viewers will learn the answers to these and other not-so-burning questions:

Q.: Who can turn the world on with her smile?
A.: Oprah

Q.: Who can take a nothing date and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
A.: Oprah

After which all members of the studio audience will shout "well, it's you, O, and you should know it!" (Like she doesn't already.) I imagine even when she was hosting "People Are Talking" with Richard Sher in Baltimore years ago, she left the studio everyday and tossed her knit beret in the air. . . .

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I have to post this anonymously, if my Grammy ever knew I was not an Oprah fan she would be very disappointed in me and we can't have Grammy disappointed in me. I'm her favorite.

Posted by: anon for now | May 19, 2008 11:49 AM

*******************

Look, Liz Kelly: your work spans the generations!

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

when i saw that flashee had tied the knot i immediatly went to people.com to oggle at the wedding pics, but there aren't any!! can someone please explain to me how the most publicity hungry couple can not sell their wedding pics? come on joe! you were willing to see ashlee's story about her nose job, but no shot of her in a white dress? for shame you tease you.

Posted by: melissamac1 | May 19, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

melissamac1, its still early. Give it until the next issue of People. They'll be in there. Front page.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree with what someone posted here awhile ago about Kate Hudson. The girl got married when she was barely out of grade school, to a rock star no less, and had a kid in short order -- no wonder she's kicking up her heels and sowing some wild oats now.

That said, she has zero taste in men. The rock star -- fugly. Owen Wilson? Yikes. And now Lance Armstrong?

DW, Scarlett has been very open about getting tested twice a year. Good for her -- I just wish other celebs followed her lead. We know Paris Hilton has herpes, Pam Anderson has Hep-C and god only knows what else given who she's been with -- I imagine most celebs are riddled with STDs.

Glad to see Nicole Kidman's back to a redhead!! But get over the baby bump already, girl. We know you're pregnant and delighted, you don't have to place your hand on your belly at every moment to remind us.

Posted by: Californian | May 19, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I remain convinced that Scientology is a wackadoo 'religion' and am puzzled by the number of its adherents, especially among the rich and famous, who presumably have the resources to know better. Honestly, though, the creepily earnest comments of its detractors here are somewhat disturbing. Does auditing remove one's sense of humor? Bring back the Texting Tweener Twits of BK days!

Posted by: Wikijen | May 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who dates Lance Armstrong clearly has not reviewed his history of disposable relationships. The woman who supported him through chemo? Gone. His wife? Gone. Sheryl Crow? Gone.

"It's Not About the Bike" is the name of Lance Armstrong's autobiography, but the subtitle should've been, "It's All About Me -- Until I Tire of You, Then You Go Away."

Posted by: lance a lotlink | May 19, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anon for now | May 19, 2008 11:49 AM

*******************

Look, Liz Kelly: your work spans the generations!

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 12:14 PM

*******************

And how do we know that "anon for now" isn't, in fact, LizKelly herself? Just sayin'.

Posted by: Conspiratus Mundi | May 19, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Resources" definitely don't translate into knowing better. Money can't buy taste, and it can't buy brains either. Actors and actresses, in general (with some notable exceptions, none of whom are Scientoloweirdos) are not known for their brains. Hence not knowing any better. On a number of issues.

Posted by: Californian | May 19, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Every single picture I have seen of pregnant Nicole, she always looks like she is either touching herself or has to go pee. I swear!! I have never been pregnant so I can't really speak with any authority here, but why does she do this??

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Nicole touching herself: don't *you* want to? Admit it, you do. (Touch *her*, I mean, not yourself, ya filthy prevert.)

Possibly there is a smear of paparazzi yelling at her to show off her belly, hence the touching.

As for the peeing, I'm told by knowledgeable uterus-users that baby presses on bladder for two months before birth and on mama's last nerve for 18 years after.

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks byoolin for the insight.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Nicole Kidman is demonstrating the "I'm pregnant, not fat" move that one must do when wearing flowing evening attire.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | May 19, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

YOu don't see Angelina posing that way.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

YOu don't see Angelina posing that way.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wikijen | May 19, 2008 1:57 PM

Christianity was once considered a "wackadoo religion," too. Try reading St. Augustine's "Confessions." The difference between a "wackadoo religion" and an established, well-known religion with many adherents is often just lots and lots and lots of time. A few hundred years should do the trick for Scientology.

Posted by: Sappho | May 19, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Surely the phrase "wackadoo religion" is redundant?

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Surely the phrase "wackadoo religion" is redundant?

----------------------------------------
Yup. Along a line similar to "celebrity discretion"

How's the trebuchet doing these days?

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 19, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Surely the phrase "wackadoo religion" is redundant?

Posted by: byoolin | May 19, 2008 4:01 PM

I'm with you there, byoolin, but I couldn't resist the sibilant quality of "wackadoo."

Posted by: Sappho | May 19, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sappho | May 19, 2008 3:56 PM

Very fair point, Sappho, and I'd argue that if Jesus had come along during the era of Oprah and Perez Hilton, his PR might not have been any better than the Scientologists' is now. So we'll have to look forward to the Council of Malibu in 2084 to determine the basic tenets of the faith, the Great Schism of 2537 over the exact process L. Ron set down for auditing, and the imposition of the One True Faith on the masses by Religious Technology Center Chairman Tom Cruise XXI in 2727.

But it's still wackadoo.

Posted by: Wikijen | May 19, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

"...sibilant quality"

Definately not a texting tweener.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"...sibilant quality"

Definately not a texting tweener.

Posted by: | May 19, 2008 4:55 PM

Hah! No. But I did know the word when I was a tweener, lo those many years ago.

Posted by: Sappho | May 19, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"Surely the phrase 'wackadoo religion' is redundant?" --byoolin

----------
I hope you're kidding?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"wackadoo" religion is what I used to think too, until I actually started doing some research into it. I think they like to be dismissed as "wackadoo" because it means people won't bother looking to closely at the facts. Like the largest infiltration of the US government ever (google Operation Snow White). Yes, scientology seems crazy - but since when does crazy equate to benign?

Posted by: Eric | May 19, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

As for the number of Celebrities involved in the 'Church' of Scientology let's get real, they have money. Walk up to every homeless person in L.A. and I bet you won't find one Scientologist.

Posted by: jes | May 19, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Will Smith:
There is an alarming and shockingly high rate of "unexplained death's" and suicides inside Scientology. When they have soaked you, of ever last penny u have and u can no longer Produce or in MONEY. You have an "accident" Alot of scientoligist I have spoken with knew of 3 or more people that killed themselves trying to reach there fictitious upper levels where they promise you Super powers. Many children are physically and mentally abused in there Sea Org. They do not believe the Child welfare laws apply to there criminal organization. They do all this while stealing millions of our tax dollars since they have a Secret Exclusive tax exempt status agreement with the IRS. But of course we,the tax payers are NOT allowed to know about??? SHAME ON YOU WILL SMITH!! FOR ENDORSING CHILD ABUSE AND ALLOWING CULT MEMBERS ACESSS TO THEM.
I urge parents in the strongest possible way to investigate scientology online! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHILDREN OVER TO A CULT!!

Posted by: Mr Longcat | May 19, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Email the school yourself; they will tell you that Will Smith is a financial backer. This isn't a rumour anymore.

Posted by: Anon | May 20, 2008 3:14 AM | Report abuse

This is weird for me to admit, but I can't imagine a better audience to confess this too: I have a crush on Pete Wentz, and am a leeetle bit jealous of Ashlee. And I'm 28. I haven't had this kind of pointless, drooly celebrity crush since I was in high school people!! And i have no idea why! I just find him rediculously attractive. His band is okay, his fashion style questionable, but I find him just hawt. Shoot me please. Thank you.

Posted by: Ashamed | May 20, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse