Posted at 7:10 AM ET, 05/13/2008

Morning Mix: Weekend Wedding for Ashlee Simpson?

By Liz Kelly

Backed by co-stars Kim Catrall, Kristen Davis and Cynthia Nixon, Sarah Jessica Parker and her hat arrive at the London premiere of 'Sex and the City' on Monday. (Reuters)
Tuesday

Headlines: Brad Pitt reveals new back tattoo, possibly map of New Orleans levee system... No plastic surgery for Cate Blanchett... Joaquin Phoenix album may never be released... Hulk Hogan should have removed bandana in court, says official... Remy Ma's jailhouse wedding scrapped when fiance shows up with handcuff key... Bill O'Reilly loses it in (NSFW) old outtake.

Crime Watch: Dennis Farina apologizes for carrying loaded gun... Scott Weiland checks into jail to serve time for DUI.

Rumor Mill: Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz to marry Saturday; Wentz dreams of Gremlin-themed wedding... Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson split?... Katie Holmes one step closer to Broadway... Tori Spelling to join Jennie Garth in "90210" spin-off... Beyonce and Jay-Z expecting first child, says source... Madonna's demands annoy U.K. music festival organizers.

Say What?
"So, this is what it's like to be in bed with Captain Kirk!" -- William Shatner dishes about his alleged effect on women

Bonus: Celebrity Muppet-a-likes.

By Liz Kelly  | May 13, 2008; 7:10 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comment Box: Nick Cannon Marries Up
Next: Rant: Leave 'Donnie Darko' Alone

Comments

They were talking about SJP's friggin' hat on 'Morning Joe' today and I thought, 'This is going to be in the Morning Mix!'

How awesome is Dennis Farina?

Posted by: rocklin | May 13, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I can only imagine the things William Shatner has either said or heard during liaisons, e.g., "Warp Speed, Mr. Sulu" or "Beam Me Up, Scotty" on the one hand, and "He's dead, Jim" or "Illogical" on the other. And you know, I'd realllly rather be imaginging other things right now.

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Is Joaquin going to call his album "Chinese Democracy II"?

If they keep taking away his gun, how will Dennis Farina EVER Get Shorty?

What was the point of releasing that Bill O'Reilly video? Is there anyone left who knows who he is that *doesn't* know he's an ass?

9021Oh, no, Donna's back. Can Silver be far behind?

I hope that Shatner's next album includes his version of "Love To Love You Baby," so we could all know what it's like to be in bed with Captain Kirk.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

i'm so not cool. i thought the gremlin-themed wedding meant cute little hatchback cars.

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

td, based on The Shat's account of his first day in NYC, he'd never say "Beam Me Up, Scotty."

Not that there's enough Romulan Ale in the galaxy to persuade the Chief Engineer to reverse his transporter buffer in *that* way, anyhow.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 8:42 AM
--------

So did I! Too funny. (Though personally, I'd prefer a Pacer theme myself.)

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 8:42 AM

*********

It would be cool if a couple dozen clowns spilled out of those cute little hatchback cars and crashed the wedding.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Hey, my boyfriend used to have a green Gremlin that we called the "Mean Greenie." His friends joked that it was rolling birth control.

Posted by: Loved the Gremlin! | May 13, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

No one is going to care about this. But I just want to say it's a damn shame about Fall Out Boy. That lead singer has a hell of a voice but it's become all about that metrosexual loser bassist Pete Effing Wentz and his giant lips and hair and it really sucks.

Posted by: rocklin | May 13, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I thought the acorn on the hat was bad. Low and behold there are butterflies as well. Oy.

Jailhouse officials should also be on the look out of the old file in the cake from Remy's fiance.

Regarding "say what" I need the context. Is the woman saying it in an excited manner or is it more along the lines of, I shaved my legs for this crap? I can't access NY Post.

Posted by: petal | May 13, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if I could get a map of Cleveland on my back......

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Feelin' you're pain, rocklin.

Posted by: rachelt | May 13, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

The best thing in the Madonna article:

"The Fratellis' star Jon Fratelli... was particularly annoyed, telling [The Mirror]: 'Who does Madonna think she is?'"

OOOOOOO! Madonna pissed off JON FRATELLI!

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Oh, SJP, I want to like you....I really do. You always seem so down-to-earth and normal in interviews, but then you go and wear a hat like that and it's like you're f'ing with us.

Posted by: Magnolia | May 13, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

How IS that hat staying on her head?

Posted by: rachelt | May 13, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I really liked SJP's dress, and she wore it so well. The hat, not so much, but it's very Carrie Bradshaw and since she's promoting the movie with that character, she is forgiven.

Now for the catty part...my legs look much, much better than Kim Cattrall's. And that makes me very very happy.

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Ahh, never let it be said that anything muppet related can't cheer me up.

Posted by: michael | May 13, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Ahh, never let it be said that anything muppet related can't cheer me up.

Posted by: michael | May 13, 2008 9:19 AM

Yeah, but I didn't need to see Carrot Top this early in the AM.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | May 13, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I love SJP's dress, but I wish SJP wore her hair in shorter style like in the later episodes of SATC. Shorter hair styles fits her face better.

Posted by: Lisa1 | May 13, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Can we please PLEASE get a warning before we open any link that has Carrot Top in it? I can look at most anything, but I cannot look at CT.

And yet, I like SJP's chapeau.

Posted by: m.a.t. | May 13, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Cynthia Nixon looks amazing and elegant in that blue dress. SJP looks like a freak. I too, want to like her, but her awful awful clothes just kill me.

Posted by: jelo | May 13, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

pity the person who sat behind SJP in the screening...

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

That O'Reilly link made my morning. Thanks for that.

Posted by: KG | May 13, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I echo the Carrot Top comments above. And anything that sends me to TMZ needs a disclaimer -- I always hate myself for giving that site any traffic whatsoever; those people are absolute pigs.

The Madonna article said people couldn't wait to see the back of her, yet we're seeing the back of Brad Pitt. Not sure what that means but there you go.

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Interesting tattoo on Brad Pitt. It looks like some weird space language.

Could the Pitt-Jolie clan be secret $cientologists & that's their mark?!?!

Posted by: Bored @ work | May 13, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I saw some of the SJP pics yesterday.

The first pic I saw was a group shot where they all had their arms around each other, and it looked like Kim Cattrall had gotten a bouquet and was forced to hold it upright above SJP's head for the pose. I thought "oh, I'm sure SJP will just *LOVE* the postmodern version of putting 'bunny ears' behind someone's head in a photo.

The second photo, SJP was by herself and had her hand up to wave to the crowd. From the angle, the flowers now looked like a monstrous wrist corsage because her hand obscured most of the hat. I thought - "wow, that just can't be comfortable."

Then I saw the final shot of that thing on her head and just sighed. Too bad - it was a very pretty and flattering dress and she looked so cheerful and happy and smiley. She could have just had fabulous hair and looked fabulous, but nooooo.

Oh, and for the questions about how it's staying on her head? It's called hat-pins. And considering the way it's on her forehead, I'd say some spirit gum. It actually looks like a pretty well-balanced piece of millinery, so once stabilized it should have been okay. Though, yeah, I hope she took it off in the theater or sat in the back row.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | May 13, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

is kate holms broadway show going to be a musical remake of mad money? i already have tunes picked out she can sing:
she works hard for the money (to give to scientology)
money can't buy me love(or a sane husband)
(where is my)money, money, money (for marrying tom cruise)

Posted by: melissamac1 | May 13, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Jessica, please. Give it a rest and get over yourself. We have.

"Madonna's demands annoy U.K. music festival organizers" Uh, yeah. Everything about Madonna annoys, well, everyone. She also needs to get over herself.

Cranky enough this morning? Sorry. Just finally got an email that my friend traveling in Sichuan is OK, but of course tens of thousands of others aren't. I guess that's affecting my cheerful snarkiness.

Posted by: jaybbub | May 13, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Only an American would object to Sarah Jessica's hat. It was made by an Englishman and is, therefore, superior to American fashion. Pass the tea.

Posted by: Gwyneth Paltrow | May 13, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Parker's dress is beautiful and she looks good in it from what I can see in the picture. The hat? Whoa. Not to mention, she shouldn't draw so much attention to her face which looks rather unattractive from that angle.

Posted by: WI | May 13, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Brad Pitt tattoo:

In Sanskrit, it reads, "Not Mrs. Cannon."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | May 13, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of SJP, "Square Pegs", the complete series comes out on DVD next Tuesday. Already in my Netflix queue

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Brad Pitt's tat looks sorta like an I-Ching reading.

On another note, Of course Jessica and Tony broke up. I was in the supermarket this weekend and one of the mags had screaming headlines about Jessica saying she was SO in love. That works like SI curse.

Posted by: jlr | May 13, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

WI, Ms. Parker would be grateful if you didn't use the word "Whoa" in comments about her. She's a little sensitive about that, as she is about any words with (unintended, to be sure) equine connotations.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Gwyneth would think SJP's chapeau to be an insouciant confection of millinery genius.

Posted by: me oui! | May 13, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I love SJP's dress but am dismayed by her hat. And puzzled as to why the world premiere of the movie would be in London, when "Sex and THE CITY" (emphasis mine, natch) is about an entirely different city.

Posted by: Wikijen | May 13, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Dante's new circle of hell for the television viewer as envisioned by Tori Spelling:

"In some way, every show that followed 90210 was a remake of 90210," she added.

Posted by: Give me the tar pits anyday | May 13, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Joaquin Phoenix has to be a perfectionist if he wants his record to meet the high standards of other celebrity vanity bands like Keanu's Dogstar, Russell Crowe's Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts, and the masterpiece of the genre: Bruce Willis' Return of Bruno.

Posted by: Tina | May 13, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I would really like to see Jay and B NOT reproduce. That would just complete their awesome badass quotient.

Posted by: rocklin | May 13, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Jessica -- the gravity-defying hexachrome headgear needs to go - you're going to the Sex in the City premiere not Speed Racer.

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | May 13, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Brad Pitt tattoo: In Sanskrit, it reads, "Not Mrs. Cannon."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | May 13, 2008 10:14 AM
--------------

LOVE IT! My vote for Comment of the Week.

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

The fascination with fascinator hats escapes me. I always say "What is that thing she is wearing?" It always looks to me that the facehuggers in Aliens missed. Some of them are quite lovely, just do not work as hats. Yes, I am talking to you Brits and your Royal Family. I never want to see another fascinator on Autmn Kelly (soon to be Mrs. Peter Phillips), Princess Beatrice or Princess Eugenie. Thank you.

Please, please, please, let the Romo/B*easts rumors be true.

The Ashlee Simpson rumor is not the most interesting thing about Ashlee lately. Apparently over the weekend, she called Britney Spears "trashy." Pot meet kettle.

Posted by: ep | May 13, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

SJP's hat? Too Cool.

To really appreciate it, one must first gulp down a few litres of Romulan ale.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 13, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Brad's tattoo is not the New Orlean's levy system, it's a map of "Pitt's Campus" a secret haven for Celebritologists.

Posted by: possum | May 13, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 8:40 AM

********************************

On the one hand. . . on the other. So, what you're really saying is that he was alone in bed?

Posted by: alex | May 13, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I dunno...I kind of love the hate for its sheer ridiculousness. And I don't think it's very flattering on her, but it's really kind of pretty. You know, springy and stuff. With nature bits.

Posted by: h3 | May 13, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Well, I guess we have another member of the Icky Veiny Arms Club. SJP.

The hat is SO Carrie Bradshaw.

I agree with Lisa1. The long face is definitely balanced with short hair. My fave was her adorable blond curly bob -- season 5 of SATC I think.

Unfortunately, now it's back to the stringy, uncombed mess she sported in season 6 of SATC. Doesn't she have stylists? Sarah, get thee to a colorist and get a brush and some conditioner pronto!

Posted by: Californian | May 13, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Oooo. Supposedly the SATC film has "an illicit affair". Who do you think it is? Mr. Big or Samantha is too obvious, so my money's on Miranda.

Posted by: Californian | May 13, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Possible Spoiler Alert!

Californian,
I read somewhere that Steve had an affair and I think it's while he and Miranda are married.

Posted by: petal | May 13, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

SJP and her hat: Scott Feschuk describes her look in a photo on the red carpet at the premiere as "[the o]nly one to bring her own salad."

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Surely SJP's hat is more entertaining than her movie.

Posted by: MB | May 13, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE THE HAT. I think there are few in the world who could have pulled it off, but SJP is one of them. What I didn't like were the shoes.

Posted by: KITC | May 13, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

By the way - I actually love cool hats. A legacy from my late grandmother who had dozens of them.

I even loved Camilla Parker Bowles' hats at her wedding/dedication ceremony to Prince Charles. They were a touch outré but still classy and cool and - most importantly - they fit/matched the the outfits she was wearing at the time.

As for this one? I don't dislike the colors or even the flowers of this hat (though the acorn is a little odd - the hat shape should be simple with the extravagant plumage). It's just the *wrong* hat for the dress and the occasion. Just because the Brits wear hats at some of their formal occasions does not mean you slap on any old thing.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | May 13, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Take the growing bits off, and the acorn cap part is rather beautiful. I'd wear it! And I'm sure she must have a pound of hat pins tucked up under there, but with her head tilted just so in that pic the whole piece really looks gravity defying.

Posted by: rachelt | May 13, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californian | May 13, 2008 1:01 PM : Well, I guess we have another member of the Icky Veiny Arms Club. SJP.

SJP was wearing a hat? All I could think was, I'll bet her phlebotomist loves her.

Posted by: epony | May 13, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than watch SJP's phlebotomy.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Hee hee. Perhaps if I had arms like that, I wouldn't dread every blood draw!

(I don't know if I'd know what a phlebotomist was if my brother didn't start his medical career as one. :-))

Posted by: Californian | May 13, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Know what's missing from SJP's outfit?

A bit, bridle and saddle.

I'll bet that if I walked up behind her and yelled "BLUCHER!" she'd whinney.

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 13, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Great -- now my boobs are pointing at Monster.
I think, if my calculations are correct, so is the stuff on SJP's hat.
Oh, well. Mnah mnah!

Posted by: other liz | May 13, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

zomg, major Muppet mishap.
Animal. I'm currently flung towards Animal.

Posted by: other liz | May 13, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Steve cheating on Miranda? No way. I wouldn't object if Blair Underwood came back though and it was a Miranda affair. Rowr. Boobs everywhere point to him of their own volition...

Posted by: Sigh | May 13, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Also, for everyone's amusement. I know everyone looks at this website, but this one fits us all pretty well:

Posted by: Sigh | May 13, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I laugh because it is true...

Posted by: michael | May 13, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Sigh writes about Blair underwood:

"Boobs everywhere point to him of their own volition..."

The Head Boob In Charge Points at Blair Underwood:

Posted by: Sasquatch, pionting out the obvious | May 13, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet that if I walked up behind her and yelled "BLUCHER!" she'd whinney.

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 13, 2008 4:35 PM

Laughing hysterically. Thank you Sasquatch -- I now need a new screen since this one has spit-out coffee all over it.

Posted by: Snarky Squirrel | May 13, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

That is one UGLY hat, SJP.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Didn't mind SJP's hat, but her hair was a mess. Looked like she'd just rolled out of bed and didn't have time to run a comb through it. I liked the dress and color, but thought the hemline could have been a tad longer for her age and the occasion. The shoes were nice, but not with that dress. I dunno--it was as if a lot of the pieces were OK, but just didn't mesh into the right finished product.

Other than the color, Catrall's dress was not good for her. The cut and length were just bad. The worst of the four by far.

Davis usually looks nice, and this occasion was no exception. Very stylish and poised looking--like her character.

Nixon was the real surpise. Fabulous, sophisticated dress. And her hair and complexion were gorgeous.

Posted by: alex | May 13, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and re SJP's arms--they do kind of look like she stole them from Madonna, don't they? Is it just because she's so thin or, like Madonna, a byproduct of excessive workouts?

Posted by: alex | May 13, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse