Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 05/13/2008

Rant: Leave 'Donnie Darko' Alone

By Liz Kelly

Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone and freaky bunny in 2001's 'Donnie Darko.' (Dale Robinette/Courtesy NewMar)

[Begin Rant]

Today we take a break from our usual fare of celeb-circumspection to consider (again) Hollywood's annoying addiction to the sequel. Sure, I'm as hesitantly expectant as the next girl about the imminent release of "Indiana Jones's" fourth installment, but from the moment Harrison Ford cracked that whip back in 1981, "Indiana Jones" had franchise practically tattooed on his forehead. And we were okay with that. Despite its setting during World War II, the movie was a lighthearted, vicarious romp through bug-filled caves where daredevil narrow escapes were tempered by pithy dialogue (The grody "om nom shiva" scene not withstanding.) It was "Goonies" for grown-ups.

But, never content to let a good thing remain untarnished by the stank of greed, Hollywood has aimed its indiscriminate money-making steamroller at "Donnie Darko," a movie that -- until now -- stood as 133 minutes of enigmatic cinematic perfection. For the uninitiated, Darko is the tale of a troubled high school kid buffeted by teen angst, suburban malaise and a slight case of (possibly) hallucinatory time travel facilitated by the ghastliest bunny ever captured on film.

That the movie's pitch perfect cast featured Jake Gyllenhaal, Patrick Swayze, Mary McDonnell is incidental. The film was not a star vehicle, but an utterly immersive experience -- a testament to solid writing and directing (and a scary grasp of physics) from then-first-time writer/director Richard Kelly. The movie was just right -- not too hot, not too cold and made all the more moody and brooding by the brilliant choice of '80s downer rock as soundtrack. It spawned a cult following and countless hours of theorizing about its ultimate meaning.

Kelly shied away from producing a sequel himself and has never been able to recapture the Darko magic in subsequent projects. Still, that and other failed sequels ("Blair Witch 2," anyone?) have apparently not been enough of a cautionary tale to keep bottom feeders from reviving the Darko name. The new movie, "S. Darko," will follow Donnie's 18-year-old younger sister -- an elementary school student in the first film -- as she road-trips across country and gets into some serious scrapes. Kelly is not involved, though one distributor attached to the project said, "Donnie's not in [the new film] but there are meteorites and rabbits."

What, no Sparkle Motion?

[End Rant]

Okay, I feel better now. Thanks for indulging me in this extremely narrow-focus screed. For those of you not hep to "Sparkle Motion" references or interested in life-sized murderous bunnies, we'll return to our regularly scheduled diet of starlet-gazing tomorrow.

By Liz Kelly  | May 13, 2008; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Miscellaneous, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Weekend Wedding for Ashlee Simpson?
Next: Morning Mix: Oops, Britney Rear-Ends SUV

Comments

Oh please no. Why? WHY? (love the sparkle motion reference.)

Posted by: atb | May 13, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I loved Donnie Darko so much that I painstakingly recreated the movie soundtrack by watching the movie, jotting down song names, and then individually downloading songs from iTunes. (The official movie soundtrack contains a lot of "filler" tunes, but not the classic 80s songs that gave the movie it's angst.)

My game plan is to just ignore this sequel. It's hard to imagine that a sequel could capture the mood of the first movie, or it's blend of humor and despair and weirdness.

BTW, the actress who had the line, "I'll tell you what he said! He asked me to forcibly insert the Life Line exercise card into my anus!" deserved an Oscar. Never fails to crack me up, no matter how many times I see it.

Posted by: NW DC | May 13, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I never saw the movie and likely never will but I support your right to rant and your request that beloved movies be left alone.

Not that there's any comparison to your "133 minutes of enigmatic cinematic perfection" but if anyone ever attempts to re-make 'The Ghost and Mr. Chicken' there will be hell to pay.

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

that's ok - i'm looking forward to the sex in the city 2 crossover where they drop an airplane engine on SJPs head in the opening credits (though i hear the sequences with kim cattrall and the bunny suited guy is enough to make even the furries terrified).

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | May 13, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Count me in the "I don't get this movie" segment of the population.

I can only assume that "Donnie Darko" is one of those you-had-to-see-it-when-it-came-out films (like "Stripes" -- which I saw years later and didn't get why it was supposed to be so wonderful). Am i too old (40s)?

Tried to sit through "Donnie" on cable a couple times recently and just gave up (maybe it's my general problem with the k.d.lang-esque Jake Gyllenhall). To me the most interesting thing about the movie was trying to figure out who that blond woman was (Katharine Ross). Sorry!

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Liz, your acknowledgment of said remake is not helping in my general attempt to pretend that This Is Not Happening. So...what were you saying about the the centerpiece on SJPs head?

Posted by: DJ | May 13, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Has there ever been a good sequel? Other than those that were planned from the start, I mean. The only one I can think of is Terminator 2.

Posted by: julia | May 13, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Never saw the movie. However, you managed to point out why most movies SUCK these days. They are all about the "star" and not about the writing, plot, direction. You know telling a good story. Sometimes the star is the book or character rather than an actual person. But, it still loses the focus. A well-made movie is one where all the parts work together, and no one part stands out and takes over.

Which is why sequels mostly never work. They become about something that original was not.

Posted by: ep | May 13, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: julia | May 13, 2008 11:40 AM

--------------
"Toy Story 2" is better than "Toy Story" but beyond that, I'm with you, julia.

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

YEAH! What they said!

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 13, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

methinks, I missed a definite article in your 11:29 and as a result am now stuck with the image of Patrick Swayze caressing Don Knotts at a potter's wheel in that famous scene from "Ghost And Mr. Chicken."

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I just saw an AP story saying that PBS/Children's Television Workshop is bringing back "The Electric Company," which was a terrific show and featured the talents of Morgan Freeman and Rita Moreno (and I think the chick from FAME whose name escapes me now.)
Why bring something back? It's been 30-plus years since that show left the air. Just develop something new. Don't call it The Electric Company because it never will be as good as the original.

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Also, The New Electric Company will require two months' deposit and a major credit card this time around.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad they never made a sequel to....

1. Harold and Maude (e.g., Bud Cort goes on to romance Bea Arthur);

2. Eraserhead (there's just not enough dope in the world to justify that) - oh, wait, I think they did make a sequel.....

3. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, I don't quite understand what you missed but that image (Swayze/Knotts...ew!) is worth going to that company that erased Ben Affleck's memory in the movie where he had his memory erased.
(Obviously, the name of the movie has been erased from my memory.)

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Harold and Kumar and Maude.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

julie & td - Godfather 2 was excellent! But yah, most suck.

And hear, hear, Liz. I can't imagine this one won't suck. Hm, I need to see the original again, though. Everyone who doesn't get it: try pot. ;-p

Posted by: different liz | May 13, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

methinks, methinks you could use some gingko.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

methinks - the movie was "Paycheck" and it was bad, bad, incredibly bad.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I submit that The Godfather II is as good as, if not better than, The Godfather.

Having said that, I've seen Donnie Darko. I can't pretend to understand it, but I did find it fascinating -- and absolutely not designed with a sequel in mind. Just let this movie stand on its enigmatic own.

Piece of sequel trivia for fans of old movies: Did you know there were plans for a sequel to Casablanca after the movie came out and it became a smash hit? It would have been about Rick (Bogie) and Renault's (Claude Rains) adventures with the resistance. Fortunately, nothing ever came of it.

Posted by: KLeewrite | May 13, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Hear, hear on the ix-nay on the arko-day equel-say.

But one bone to pick -- the first Indy movie wasn't set during WWII, but rather in 1936, 3 years before. So it was really the ongoing worldwide depression, growing imperial designs of the Germans, Italians and Japanese, and the violent totalitarian regime in the Stalinist Soviet Union against which the "light-hearted grown-up Goonies" was set.

But if you were using "WWII" as short-hand for all of that, well, okay. Po-tay-tos, Po-tah-tos.

Posted by: Quibbilus Maximus | May 13, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I thought about "The Godfather: Part II" -- great movie -- but I do think the first one was "better."

(As for Part III: If Winona Ryder hadn't dropped out and been replaced by Sofia Coppola, that might've been pretty good too. As it was, the best moment for me seeing that film was when people were leaving the theater at the end and someone said, "they should've shot her [Sofia] three hours ago.")

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I never saw the Donnie Darko but I understand your rant.

Aliens part 2 was great and then they just went too far with the others. Terminator 2 as mentioned above but then we got the third one which is the film version of a huge disappointment.

I do wish they would do a sequel for Inner Space. Not quite sure how old it is but that was a fun movie.

Posted by: petal | May 13, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

This is slightly off topic but are they still going to redo "Adventures in Babysitting" or can I breathe easy?

Posted by: petal | May 13, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I get your rant, but I would've picked another movie to rant about, personally - I saw Donnie Darko (before everyone else saw it, thankyouverymuch, I knew a friend of a friend of the director) and, well, call me dense, but I didn't get it, and while I gather that many people don't get it and also love it, I didn't get it and also hated it. So, there ya go. But rock on, rant girl!

Posted by: h3 | May 13, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Yes to Godfather 2 and in a similar vein Airplane 2 is well worth a look

Posted by: TonyR | May 13, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

11:55 a.m.,

Oh, but they did:

2. Return of the Killer Tomatoes! (1988) aka "Return of the Killer Tomatoes: The Sequel" - USA (video box title)

3. Killer Tomatoes Eat France! (1991)

4. Killer Tomatoes Strike Back! (1990)

Loaded with antioxidents and lycopene!

Posted by: b | May 13, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

okay...I ate a good healthy salad for lunch and it appears to have cleared up both my eyesight AND my brain. I Know What You Meant, byoolin! Yay!

And to you, anonymous poster at 12:06, thanks for the name of that awful Ben Affleck movie. Saves me from seeing it again and saying, "Wait just a cotton pickin' minit...I've already done seen that!"

Gingko...really? Would that help?

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@11:55, actually, they made 3 sequels to Killer Tomatoes. Aliens (not "Aliens part 2" - sorry, pet peeve) was a great sequel, as were T-2, Empire Strikes Back, IJ & the Last Crusade, Toy Story 2. By and large, though, they're crap. Mostly because they forget the first rule of showmanship: always leave them wanting more. When "they" make sequels, they try to actually *give* them more, instead of leaving them wanting it.

Posted by: fft5305 | May 13, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Evil Dead II is arguably better than Evil Dead.

Posted by: Rosslyn, VA | May 13, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Can we really consider Evil Dead II to be a sequel? Wasn't it really more of a reimagining with a decent budget?

I humbly submit my choice for sequels to be Mannequin 2, Cocoon 2, and Short Circuit 2.

Posted by: michael | May 13, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Liz. My first thought on hearing of this sequel was Uh Oh... then when I heard it was basically unrelated to the last and about Samantha, it turned into more horror. As far as the original, I love it. I don't necessarily understand it all but have a good grasp of in general what is going on, but like Liz says, the music, style and writing make the movie visually and musically enjoyable to watch.

Oh and don't forget Drew Barrymore and the smurf talk, and hungry hungry hippos, and christina applegate, and the kid who used to wet the bed, and cellar door, and s**k a ****, and everything the crazy teacher says does (particularly the forcibly insert the life line exercise card line as previously stated.)

Posted by: Robbo | May 13, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah and liz thankfully i can see that I don't have to seriously doubt your commitment to sparkle motion

Posted by: Robbo | May 13, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

A sequel doesn't even make sense. In a story that goes around in a circle, there is no space for a longer timeline.

Beethoven's Second was a great sequel because it had puppies, instead of just puppy.

Posted by: Courtney | May 13, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

A sequel could make sense if you just go down a different time line and into a tangent universe so really your sequel could be about anything you wanted since you could just say you went down a different time. ha

Posted by: Robbo | May 13, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I used to love Donnie Darko until I read what was actually going on in the movie. The reason the film is so hard to understand is because the mythology Kelly created is so convoluted and ridiculous but presented in such a stylish and intelligent way that the contradiction manages to destroy almost any possibility of undertanding just what the hell is going on. If you love the movie, I highly recommend never seeking out any information on what is actually happening in the storyline. Awesome soundtrack though.

Posted by: Charlie | May 13, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Michael, sadly they made Mannequin 2. Something about a beautiful princess trapped in a mannequin by an evil wizard who wanted her. Yes, I know this story has been told a million times, but that was the plot. I cannot for the life of me remember who was in it. Nor do I care enough to go look it up on IMDB. It sucked that badly.

Posted by: ep | May 13, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, Highlander 2 was a very bad sequel. So bad they ignored it for all of the other movies.

Posted by: michael | May 13, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Great Salon article. Yes, it's definitely a disturbing, confusing, interesting movie, and it stays on you're mind years later. I also felt vindicated by the mention of the plot portraying a descent into paranoid schizophrenia. I had often thought that, take away the obvious time travel stuff, you were getting a firsthand look at the connect-the-dots world of at mental illness - flashes of stability and rationality that are mercilessly eroded away.

And, is a sequel really appropriate for a movie about time travel? Those of us that 'got it' or at least got near 'it' the first time don't necessarily want to sit through another round of this madness. Note to new director: We've seen this one before, we know what's going to happen.

Posted by: rachelt | May 13, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Last Crusade was brilliant, but it was only a return to form after the utter dreck that was Temple of Doom.

The only good thing about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull thus far is that Indy married Marion. And I finally get my Young Indiana Jones Chronicles on DVD. As for the actual movie - too scared to shell out money and two hours of my life to see it.

Posted by: MB | May 13, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Why not a remake? They're bringing back the BH90210 gang. This time, everyone's in rehab and getting botox and spray-on tans.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | May 13, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

It could be good, but only if she wears that silly man-suit.

Posted by: edmiller7 | May 13, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Sequels:

If I ever meet Spielberg, the first thing I'm going to say to him is, "You owe me six bucks and two hours of my life for Jurassic Park II."

The second thing I'm going to say to him is, "... and this [BYOOLIN kicks SPIELBERG in groin] is for most of your other work."

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

If I ever meet George Lucas, the first thing I'm going to say is, "You owe me $73.95 and eleven hours of my life for repeated releases of your first trilogy and the god-awful second trilogy."

The second thing I'm going to say to him is, "... and you made Darth Vader such a wuss! BYOOLIN could wipe the floor with ANAKIN any day of the week."

Posted by: On the Matter of Spielburg | May 13, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

byoolin. phone. home.

Posted by: b | May 13, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

The Jaws sequels just got progressively worse. Jaws II was bad and Jaws III (or whatever they were called) was too painful to watch. How many did they make? Best sequel has to be Aliens.

Posted by: rashi | May 13, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, please no more spoilers on the new Indiana Jones movies. Some of us didn't know that certain people get married in it. (Am now thumbing thru phone book for memory erasing company.)

And to Charlie@1:47, that's the same way I feel about learning what the lyrics mean to Steely Dan tunes. I think it's better to just groove on.

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Scarlett Johannson was in Home Alone 3 (she was 13 at the time, but I just had to pass that along for the ScarJo fans since we're talking about sequels).

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I forgive Scarlet. Plus, Home Alone 3 was kind of enjoyable...

Posted by: michael | May 13, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed Donnie Darko as well, but I must say I always thought it was about a descent into mental illness, too.

Mr. Roller says that "Wrath of Khan" is the best Star Trek movie. I say "whatevs".

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | May 13, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

(this is sort of off topic but sort of on.)back in the day when i was a young, impressionalble youngin' my favorite movie of all time was "grease." and i lived in a wonderful world for years where there was no "grease 2." years later i get married and my husband not only informs me that there is in fact a "grease 2," but he knows all the words! so now whenever i am watching the new classics on tnt i am forced to wonder why in the hell would you make a grease 2? can someone explain that humdinger of a movie to me?

Posted by: melissamac1 | May 13, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"that's the same way I feel about learning what the lyrics mean to Steely Dan tunes. I think it's better to just groove on."

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 2:58 PM

-------------
Yeah, try listening to the actual words of Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" sometime and then justify liking the song at all afterward.

Posted by: td, because william and mary won't do | May 13, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I no longer seriously question your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Posted by: Aaron | May 13, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

melissamac1, are you my wife?! I, um, not only know all the lyrics to Grease 2, but also I, um, have the soundtrack album.

Lorna Luft! Adrian Zmed! Michelle Pfeiffer! Maxwell Caufield! Bad movie! Yet still I watch it every time it comes on!

I actually, um, like Grease 2 better. . . .

Posted by: td | May 13, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought "Home Alone II" was as good as the first one. There was only one thing though, it was explaining to my young son that in real life it was NOT okay to throw bricks repeatedly at people's heads and expect them to be able to get up again. One well placed throw was usually enough.

Posted by: BeachGirl | May 13, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

byoolin. phone. home.

Posted by: b | May 13, 2008 2:45 PM

***************

Pull my finger.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

One more spoiler for the new Indiana Jones movies:

You get to see Harrison Ford's Prince Albert.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

regarding giving Speilburg a swift kick in the b*&&s, and demanding a refund of money and time, AI was reason enough. That's 2 hours and 45 minutes that I will never get back plus the terrible memories of that dang kid looking for the dang blue fairy. Ugh, my stomach hurts...

You hear me, Steven? I am talking to YOU! Better stay out of the dark alleys! You should have left Kubrick's unfinished film unfinished. AND there better not EVER be a sequal to that monstrosity, if you know what's good for you.

Posted by: sunnydaze didn't like AI | May 13, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

In all fairness, the Marion thing is an assumption from hearing that Karen Allen is in the film.

(Frankly, it'd be a better movie if he had just got Marion knocked up and she raised Shia Leboeuf in her bar in outer Mongolia, but I don't really have hopes for that. I was happy enough that there didn't appear to be a waste of space for Indy.)

Posted by: MB | May 13, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Spider Man II was better than the first. What could possibly be better than Doctor Octopus drinking Maker's?

Posted by: possum | May 13, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

There was a Home Alone 3? Where on earth was I when that happened? Did it go straight to video?

Byoolin, I feel the same way.

Posted by: petal | May 13, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Julia - There has been at least one great sequel - Godfather II is the best hands down.

Posted by: linds | May 13, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn! You've got to love Wrath of Khan, it was the best.

Posted by: petal | May 13, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

td, because william and mary won't do
***************

From "My Old School" the current ringtone on my phone! I know..I'm so cool. Ha!

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Petal writes:

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn!"

My mate, Ms. Snatchquatch, uses the exclamation as a sound file on our Windows workstation to punctuate a failed attempt to open a file or execute an application.

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn! has gotten so annoying and jarring that I usually keep the sound turned off.

Posted by: Sasquatch | May 13, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree they should not make a sequel at all. Horrible, horrible thing to do to an excellent movie. However, I do think the cast, especially Jake Gyllenhaal who was the heart and soul of the movie, along with the great script and direction from Richard Kelly, made the movie. Without all of them this remake will be a huge mistake.

Posted by: No DD remake | May 13, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm not wearing any pants.

Posted by: byoolin | May 13, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

When there is a "Star Wars Holiday Special II" released (on TV, DVD, anywhere) matter will meet antimatter and the world will explode. And we will be grateful.

Show Business kids making movies of themselves, you know they don't give a f**k about anybody else....does anyone know what the chant in the background is?

Posted by: Angela | May 13, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I believe they're saying, "We're going to Las Wages, Las Wages/Goin' to Las Wages"

Posted by: methinks | May 13, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

completly agree here. now you just know all those little emo kids are going to eat this sequel up even they could never understand what the movie was saying but just because it looked like it was dark and scary. some people just ruin everything that ever ment anything!!!

Posted by: radiobed | May 13, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I second the greatness of T2, Aliens, Toy Story 2

More great sequels:

Superman II
Road Warrior

And Grease 2 was so bad that when my wife caught my son and I watching it, she ran out and bought Grease on DVD so his mind wouldn't be tainted.

"Let's bowl. Let's bowl. Let's Rock and Roll"
"Do it for your country."

So bad that it had to be done on purpose.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 13, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt you are scaring me. i think we were separated at birth -- though your knowing the words to the bowling song? I salute you. . . .

Posted by: td, we're gonna sco-o-ore tonight... | May 14, 2008 2:55 AM | Report abuse

I would add Karate Kid 2 to the list of good sequels.

As a total Darkoholic, I think this sequel is a travesty. What a terrible idea.

Posted by: LittleMissMuskrat | May 14, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

For those of you who started the thread about Grease 2, I have but one question - why, damn you, why?

Now that I have been forced to confront that ugly period from my past, I see you on the "bowling song" and raise you "Cool Rider."

And that Senior Class Luau Pool Party at the end of the movie! Forget the popcorn - you need a box of crackers to go with that much cheese!

Posted by: longhorn | May 14, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Weird, wonderful Darko..they so better not mess with it.

Posted by: erm | May 14, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

longhorn, welcome to the rock-a-hula luau. "Co-oo-oo-ol Ry-duh!" We need a support group.

Posted by: td, has your pistil right here | May 14, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm definitely anxious to see how this sequel will turn out.
Is there a release date for it yet?

Posted by: Nate | May 14, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I would've thought a plane landing on your head would put an end to ALL talk of sequels..hey ho hollywood

Posted by: jay | May 16, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse