A Little Help from Her Friends: Mel & Britney
Some say we're judged by the company we keep. For Britney Spears, there's no place to go but up. After dissolving her K-Federation in 2006, Brit descended to increasingly sketchy circles of companionship (Paris Hilton, the Manny, Sam Lutfi) before hitting social rock bottom with short-term boyfriend Adnan Ghalib, a paparazzo who, it appears, was just in it for the pix and a brief pregnancy scare.
Lately, though, new and improved Brit -- by improved I mean no upskirt shots for at least six months now -- has been spotted keeping counsel with Mel Gibson, the Oscar-winning actor/director whose most memorable line will forever be his "sweet" pet name for a female sheriff. The two have met on several occasions around L.A. and even vacationed together in Costa Rica (with their families) last month. And, last week, the two were again spotted dining together.
What could the two embattled stars -- and former Malibu neighbors -- possibly have to talk about? People magazine says Gibson has volunteered himself to help Spears through her public crisis. But what could Gibson -- who himself never quite recovered from his own career-dampening escapades possibly teach a 26-year-old former teen idol? For answers, I turned to my crack team of Celebritology field agents, who helped me compile the list below.
Mel's Life Lessons for Britney Spears:
1. You can survive embarassing family members. A pregnant 16-year-old sister? C'mon, my dad publicly denies the Holocaust!
2. Find a buddy pic deal -- and stick with it (four times over if possible). And if you can get Danny Glover to co-star, even better.
3. Don't fret about shaving your head. I survived this.
4. We don't need another hero. All we want is life beyond Thunderdome.
5. Just because I didn't wear undies in "Braveheart" doesn't mean you can go commando in real life. Unless fighting off hordes of British occupiers, good foundation garments are a necessity.
6. They can take your babies, but they can't take your FREEDOM!"
7. If you're going to wear three hats, you'd better grow two more heads. (I have no idea what that means, but it is -- unlike the preceding items -- an actual Mel Gibson quote).
Jen Chaney, Maura McCarthy, Frank Thomason and Michael Corones contributed most of the humor found above.
| June 17, 2008; 10:43 AM ET
Categories: Britney Spears, Celebrities
Save & Share: Previous: Morning Mix: Amy Winehouse Hospitalized After Fainting
Next: Morning Mix: Joan Rivers Booted from British TV
The comments to this entry are closed.