Posted at 8:17 AM ET, 06/12/2008

Morning Mix: Surprise -- Oprah is Top Celeb Power Player

By Liz Kelly
Thursday

Headlines: Oprah tops Forbes's Celebrity Power List... Business partner now says he doesn't know if Paul Newman is battling cancer... Lynn Spears's memoir set for fall release... Slamming "Grey's" writers, Katherine Heigl drops out of Emmy race... Madonna's brother penning book about his sister... Environmentalist Justin Timberlake buys golf course to save it from developers... Jessica Simpson launching lingerie line... Timbaland marries longtime girlfriend... Boy George to perform for New York sanitation workers... George Michael says he's ready to give up touring for a "quieter life."

Pix: Mischa Barton, Wookie Pocahontas?... Kelsey Grammer's no. 1 fan.

Crime Watch: Closing arguments set to begin in R. Kelly trial... London police charge two people for giving drugs to Amy Winehouse.

Amy Winehouse captured in her natural habitat -- the kitchen window of her London apartment. (Getty Images)

Rumor Mill: Mel Gibson and Britney Spears meet again in L.A... Amy Winehouse paid $2 million to perform for Russian oligarch... Jamie Lynn Spears calls off wedding to baby daddy... Did George Clooney dump girlfriend over breast augmentation?

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's Celebritology Live chat. The first 100 participants will receive Kelsey Grammer portrait tattoos.*

* Okay, not really.

By Liz Kelly  | June 12, 2008; 8:17 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Daniel Craig Injured on 'Bond' Set
Next: Creative Captioning: Dynamic Duos

Comments

If I'm going to buy Jessica Simpson lingerie, I'm going to do it the old-fashioned way: from one of those Japanese vending machines.

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Give Mischa a faux-hawk and she'd look like a Budweiser Clydesdale.

Posted by: Raysmom | June 12, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

So, byoolin, didja go last night? What'dja think? I thought it rocked, but at the same time was vaguely irritated that we have to get the block of political songs just because we happen to live in and near DC. (Although I love Little America, so it was ok.)

R.E.M. concert, in case anybody else went. They're celebrities, right? In a minor way?

Posted by: h3 | June 12, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

h3, I didn't go last night, I went to the Toronto show on Sunday. We got a block of political songs there too - I think that's mostly location-independent. I think the REM website posts the set lists of each show. It might be interesting to see what the differences were...

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Here's how powerful Oprah is: somehow, she got Forbes to list The Police at number 8.

And Bruce Willis at #29.

With that kind of pull, I would not be surprised to find out that she's also the overseer of the various Global Conspiracies, too (e.g., Vast Right-Wing, International Zionist, UFO-Denying, etc., etc., etc.).

Posted by: byoolin will probably be extraordinarily rendered for this. | June 12, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

"I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination..."

Um, Katherine Heigl? I think you'll find you're never going to get *any* material from this point forward that would warrant an Emmy nomination.

In fact, I think you may find yourself being written out.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | June 12, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

So, with Jamie Lynn calling off the wedding, maybe Lynn Spears' book should be retitled "Trailer Park Magic: How To Turn A Mouseketeer into Two Unwed Mothers."

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Tom Cruise is not in the top 25...And Celine Dion even beats him by a couple of numbers. Heck, Dr. Phil is even higher.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | June 12, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I hope with all of my heart that after Gwyneth Paltrow forces that next baby out, she names it Wookie Pocahontas.

(That is, unless Bruce "I'm #29! I'm #29!" Willis or Bob "How Come I'm Not On The Bloody List? I INVENTED Live Aid, You Cow!" Geldof uses it first, of course.)

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Didn't the Heigl thing complain about the writers of her last movie? I'm beginning (okay, long thought) the problem was not the writing, but the person reciting the lines.

With the Lilo leggings from yesterday, and the Jessica lingerie from today, throw in one of Beyonce's mom's outfits and you have a great halloween costume.

Posted by: ep | June 12, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

That must have been a heck of a boob job Sarah Larson got - in the picture accompanying the story, she's using crutches.

Posted by: byoolin prepares to be awestruck. | June 12, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Ah, ok, I assumed you'd be catching them again locally. I would like to compare setlists...but first perhaps I should, like, do some work.

Posted by: h3 | June 12, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Heigl wasn't given the most interesting stuff this year. I think her dropping out was actually OK - although frankly there should have been a quieter way to do it...

Posted by: akmitc | June 12, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Why, WHY!?!?!, W_H_Y!?!?!?! does Katherine Heigel do this stupid crap? Why, oh why do we let her bite the hand that feeds her all the time and think she's smart or forthright because of it!?!?! She's offending everyone she's working with and the academy by saying they got it wrong. I want her to shut up and go away. Oh, yeah, and good luck trying to get a good storyline out of the writers now idiot. She's a publicity wh*re and is just doing this to get her name in the papers again. Ugh.

Posted by: In the name of G*d please make Katherine Heigel shut up | June 12, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Katherine Heigel annoys the bejebus out of me, too. I wonder if she'll fall down an elevator shaft ala Dr. Drake Remore (spell?) on "Friends".

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | June 12, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

timbaland marries boy george?

heigl is commiting career suicide

Posted by: ballston dude | June 12, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

h3, I live in Wheeling, WV (60 mi W of Pittsburgh), so DC is about as "local" to me as Toronto is. If they were to play the White Palace at Wheeling Park, I suppose I could drag myself over there, even if I was too good [*sniff*] to do so for The John Corbett Band a couple of months back.

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Oprah, and just for Liz, I give you today's Agnes http://comics.washingtonpost.com/11_comics_agnes.html

Posted by: m.a.t. | June 12, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: m.a.t. | June 12, 2008 9:42 AM

HA!! That's great.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | June 12, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps Katherine Heigl would get more interesting material if she hadn't p*ssed off every writer in Hollywood.

The pool as to when her character dies in a freak elevator accident while over-emoting about her feelings and perceived slights starts.....now.

(on a semi-related note, I wonder how much fun the Grey's writers have when coming up with new ways to hurt people. I mean, cement?)

Posted by: Magnolia | June 12, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Ah, I get it - I assumed you were in a more D.C.-proximate region of WV. Well, anyway: They rocked. Yay.

Posted by: h3 | June 12, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Again, if Sarah Larson needs a rebound guy, I humbly volunteer.

Posted by: michael | June 12, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Given a choice between an equidistant DC and Toronto, I'll take Toronto 8 times out of 10. And I'm not even an expatriate Canuck, eh?

Posted by: Sasquatch, eh? | June 12, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Oh that Katherine Heigl, she's such a role model of graciousness and gratitude.

George Michael is still touring? Who knew.

Posted by: jaybbub | June 12, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I think what's interesting about Katherine Heigl's comment "in an effort to maintain the integrity of the academy organization, I withdrew my name from contention" is that it implies she thought she might win despite having crappy materials. Egotistical much?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

jaybub writes:

"George Michael is still touring? Who knew."

So many glory holes. So little time.
Is he doing a double bill with Larry Craig?

Posted by: Sasquatch, NOT tapping his foot in the stall | June 12, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I've got November Sweeps Week in the Izzie Stephens death watch.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | June 12, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I could be Katherine Heigels rebound guy.

Posted by: Stick | June 12, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"Egotistical much?"
-----------

When did that type of phrasing become popular? I've seen it many times on this blog and don't think I like it.
Picky much?
Well yes, I think I am.

Posted by: babylon sister | June 12, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Why is Cameron Diaz on the list? Does anyone know? It can't be her brains and talent, so I'm guessing she slept with Shrek to get it...oops.

Posted by: possum | June 12, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Poor Paul Newman. Hasn't his business partner heard of HIPAA?

I'm betting that Dr. Izzy Stevens doesn't make it to sweeps week.

Posted by: methinks | June 12, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

It is so very generous of Katie Heigl to withdraw from Emmy consideration so that actresses of lesser talent can have a chance. Note, she assumes she would have won the Emmy had she stayed in. I think the Grey's writers are going to call up Judd Apatow to see if they can borrow his Heigl dartboard.

Re: Kelsey Grammer tat. Man, that dude must have lost one hellacious drunken bet, because that is the lamest tatoo I have ever seen.

Posted by: Seth | June 12, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

HIPAA only applies to health care providers and I doubt Paul Newman's business partner is one or if he is, is Paul's. Regular people can talk all they want about your health related matters and how did they find out? You told them.

Posted by: sunnydaze | June 12, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

m.a.t.: you beat me to the punch! agnes has been great all week, with her pony story. clay aiken should write a song about it (does he actually write songs??)

you know who else should have taken himself out of emmy contention a few years ago? david hyde pierce. he won way too many of them for doing the same tired schtick year after year. john laroquette and candace bergen: both class acts.

Posted by: wats | June 12, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

It saddens me that someone like Oprah has so much power. She and her new age friends are very dangerous. Because of her stinkin thinkin about God and about her own power, I have stopped looking at her show.

Posted by: Shar | June 12, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly - missed you yesterday afternoon. Hope all is well.

Posted by: sunnydaze | June 12, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it'll be one of those cases where Izzy Stephens won't even make it to the next season....the show will just open with all the characters mourning her loss or her leaving the hospital or whatever.

Posted by: Office Girl | June 12, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Hey Liz, how come there is no mention of Scarlett Johansson campaigning for Barack Obama.

Do you happen to have a better picture of Ms. Johansson to link to?

Posted by: michael | June 12, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

The George Michael news presents an opportune time for us to remind ourselves of the subtle differences between the words "touring" and "cruising."

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Again, if Sarah Larson needs a rebound guy, I humbly volunteer.

Ugh, you can have her.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

OK Clayhaters (TM),
So you want Clay Aiken out of the closet. What does that get you, really? Well you see what it got George Michael and "Boy" George O'Dowd. Drug convictions, community service and lots and lots of therapy.

There was no self actualization, no honesty, or peace of mind.

Nah, Clay should stay in the closet and go right for that "quiet life" that George Michael is now endorsing. Merv Griffin had it right.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | June 12, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

So Angelina is #3 and Brad is #10 on the Forbes list. Must make for interesting dinner conversation.

I can just see Boy George singing "I'll Clean Up 4 Ya," "Litter is Stupid," and "Garba Chameleon" for the trashmen. Who knows, it could even result in a comeback. (Full disclosure: I saw CC at Nissan about 10 yrs ago along with Howard Jones and Human League; their "80s Rewind" concert was GREAT.)

George Michael: "I'm 45 and I think pop music should be about youth culture." In other words, something that does not often involve picking up stray men in restrooms. (Though his "Outside" video parodying his arrest was pretty funny.) Get over yourself, Wham!Boy -- 45 is YOUNG!

Posted by: td is, ahem, the same age as George Michael | June 12, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Oprah is the reason me, and millions of others became fans of Obama. Obama was 30 points behind in the polls until Oprah jumped in, and now he has the nomination. That's power.

Posted by: Alicia | June 12, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to withdraw my name from contention to be Katherine Heigl's rebound guy.

Posted by: M Street | June 12, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Since it is less than 2 years since she cut the LVAD wire in the Grey's universe, she could still be tried for the murder (reckless conduct, even if she did not intend for him to die) of Denny. That would be fitting.

Posted by: ep | June 12, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Merv Griffin was gay?! Dahlink, that explains so much rilly...

Posted by: eva gabor | June 12, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

liz WAS here yesterday, she was just posing as luvlinsey and urging us to buy the LiLo kneepad leggings.

Posted by: where was liz? | June 12, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe her interns will band together to kill her since she is so @$^(&@#$^(& annoying (on the show and in real life, apparently.)

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | June 12, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Here's the real reason why George Michael is ending his tour:

Brokeback Mountain: The Opera.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | June 12, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

With her new boobs, I'm betting Sarah Larsen can rebound all on her own.

Also, I can attest to the power of Oprah, several years ago while running the Chicago marathon, she was out cheering on the runners, she high fived me...I finished with my best time ever. Oprah as that kind of power.

Posted by: jake e. poo | June 12, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

became fans of Obama
Posted by: Alicia | June 12, 2008 10:18 AM

This is a prime example of what is wrong with the political system and why democracy is not all it's cracked up to be. I bet you the founding fathers never, ever dreamed that political figures would have "fans." How frightening.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I can't stand Katherine Heigl, she is just so obnoxious and arrogant without reason. I still can't believe she got the Emmy, I guess we can blame the Denny storyline.

I don't think her acting is that good, and Izzy is just an awful character, so I was so happy when they moved the focus from her.

Really, the fact that she had to publicize that she wasn't going to put a bid in for the Emmy is just mindboggling. And is totally spiteful against Shonda and the writers, so I really do hope they kill her off.

Speaking of which, anyone else really worried about McDreamy? I'm afraid he's going to get hit by a car and get amnesia or something since there is no way he and Meredith can live happily ever after on that show...

Posted by: CAB | June 12, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I am SO over the Big O.

I got to thinking last evening that perhaps Queen Liz got "lost" (a-hem) somehow and went to an island whatever and found a herd of wild ponies that turned out to be unicorns and was finally led to safety by a paleo-sasquatch who was scratching his crotch through a pair of LiLo leggings and carring a rescue ladder.

whew

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 12, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey sasquatch, be careful with that wide stance there.

Posted by: jaybbub | June 12, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I can only imagine the fun Simon & Schuster is having choosing a title for Christopher Ciccone's memoir.

Posted by: td suggests | June 12, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Kelsey Grammer has a tattoo of HIMSELF? Could he and Katherine Heigl be kin?

Posted by: jaybbub | June 12, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh, Friday list ideas The many ways Katherine Heigl's character could be killed off. Number of months before her career dies. Or length of time before she's trying to get on a celeb reality show.

If I understand this correctly, the people who supplied Amy with drugs are being charged but she can continue to mess with mice. Hmmm.

Posted by: petal | June 12, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Hey, ease up on George Michael. IMO the man has an amazing catalog and is one of the iconic voices of modern pop...I was re-listening to some of his greatest hits the other day and that stuff is still awesome. The man did a better job negotiating the nastiness of celebrity life than a helluva lot of lesser talents. I'd go see him in concert if he was coming closer to where I live.

Posted by: 23112 | June 12, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Who would have thought that dear Jamie Lynn could remember anything let alone be able to write about it.

Posted by: re: Jamie Lynn Spears' "memoir" | June 12, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Capt Curmudgeon, what meds are you taking to enable such flights of fancy? And would you be willing to share?

Posted by: Sasquatch | June 12, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Oprah cured my leprosy.

Posted by: epony | June 12, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps Liz was on the last day of her "sort of" vacation and she spent the day deflating the palm trees in her basement and spraying on a tan in order to fool us into thinking she was really in Florida.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | June 12, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Ha! Liz is back and we didn't have to give those Claymates a thing. Take that.

Posted by: petal | June 12, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: re: Jamie Lynn Spears' "memoir" | June 12, 2008 10:46 AM

****

While your point is still valid, it is Lynn Spears (the mom) who is releasing the memoirs not Jamie Lynn (the pregnant young daughter).

Posted by: sunnydaze | June 12, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Just because we Spears keep recycling the same two names doesn't mean you get to misspell my name. It's Lynne with an e. Jamie Lynn (not to be confused with Jamie that ex of mine) is Lynn without an e. It's so OBVS.

How can I tell "A Real Story of Fame and Family in a Tabloid World" and further exploit my children if you media people can't get our names straight? You are totally ruining my Google search ranking!!!

Posted by: lynne - with an e | June 12, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Oprah's power:

She turned me into a newt!

Posted by: byoolin got better. | June 12, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

--------------
yo! sunnydaze, I wasn't being literal about the HIPAA violation, but thanks for the clarification.
I do want to add, though, that even IF the business partner knows Paul Newman's personal health trials, it was probably abundantly clear that he (Newman) didn't want anyone discussing them publicly.
Just because I tell someone something, doesn't mean they should discuss it publicly, especially with the media and especially if they hadn't cleared it first. With Newman's well-known penchant for privacy, I would have thought the business partner would have known better than to comment on a private matter. And that's why he's now saying the AP mis-quoted him. If I had a dime for every time I've heard that line...

Posted by: methinks | June 12, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Emmy's ask Katherine Heigl to present an award again so they can pronounce her name wrong, again.

Posted by: mango | June 12, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

per Katherine Heigl and egotism and Emmy...

Okay, I find Ms. Heigl annoying and I'm not a huge Grey's Anatomy fan. But in her defense...Emmy voters do tend to kinda pick a person or show and just hand them wins again and again and again.

Why she thought she might fall into this category I'm not sure - her previous Emmy win was in Best Supporting Actress in a Drama - that's a fairly changeable category.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | June 12, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Oprah cured my leprosy.

Posted by: epony | June 12, 2008 10:54 AM

*******

epony, I didn't see that before I posted my 'newt' bit. Sorry to step on your Python joke.

Posted by: byoolin spares a talent for an ex-leper. | June 12, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Oprah gave me The Big O.

Posted by: Steadman | June 12, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

As of 10:49 this morning, the Brides of Clay are still going strong on Monday's message board. I must say they are persistent, demented and sad, but persistent.

Posted by: Rueben | June 12, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Why does the Kelsey Grammer tattoo look like the evil ghost in the painting in Ghostbusters (II - I think)??

Posted by: Osteph | June 12, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Actually, the Kelsey Grammer tattoo looks remarkably like Eliot Spitzer.

Posted by: Ashley | June 12, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

A quote from CNN's story about Heiglmouth:

"I'm going to be really honest right now, he needs to just not speak in public. Period," Heigl said at one point of (Isaiah) Washington, who ended up being booted from the medical drama.

If only she would listen to her own advice and STFU!

Posted by: b | June 12, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

shouldn't that be the Beards of Clay?

Posted by: ncmojo | June 12, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Knowing that George Clooney prefers boobs au naturel makes me all happy inside.

Posted by: jelo | June 12, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Booby Kennedy Day triggers:

Clay Gaiken
Miley Cyrus
Lindsay Lohan & the rest of the Lohan clan

Posted by: Booby Kennedy Day | June 12, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

byoolin and h3 (about REM)

I WENT! It was awesome. I don't care about the political references its sort of part of living in DC and they're all good songs anyway. It was an excellent set list (Fall on Me and Johnny Marr playing Man on the Moon!)

My friend and I made a bet about them playing Drive and Driver 8 and they played both, and Walk Unafraid (I like the live version I heard in '03 better though)..awesome.

What did you think of Let Me In (which I have never heard before) was great--if only the women next to me would have stopped talking!

It was a great 2 hours (The National and MM were good too). I also loved how during the text message someone put up a How I Met Your Mother quotation about how the show was going to be "Legen...wait for it...dary".

As for Celebrity stuff. I'm sick of KH. Geez and I was just starting to like Izzie again on the show.

Posted by: PC | June 12, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I also was amused that they played almost every single song from Accelerate...and that I knew almost all the words to Bad Day (which scared me a little)...

Alright sorry Liz. Back to the main topic.

Posted by: PC | June 12, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Timbalake wasn't being an environmentalist. He was saving the first golf course he ever learned to putt on. Oh, the memories (sniff).

And congratulations to Timberland and his new bride.

Posted by: lysdexic | June 12, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I gon't get the Katherine Heigl thing. Having never watched Grey's Anatomy, the only thing I've seen her in was an old episode of the Outer Limits or was it the new Twilight Zone, either way, she didn't really become a househould name until Grey's Anatomy and it seems the only things she's done outside of GA are bad rom coms.

By the way, we've been bashing her all morning and no one has come to her defense. What's up with that?

Posted by: please explain. | June 12, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

if Oprah's so powerful, how come she isn't on the guest list for the bilderberg conference?

Maybe we should put this warning label on the claymate thread:

"Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Posted by: b | June 12, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

became fans of Obama
Posted by: Alicia | June 12, 2008 10:18 AM

Posted by: | June 12, 2008 10:33 AM
***************************

Really? I thought there were plenty of fans of Geo. Washington, so much so that many wanted him to become the 1st American "king." In truth, I think our Founders were plenty wise, which is why we have the electoral college in addition to the popular vote, as well as the Senate versus the House of Representatives. There was already plenty of recorded history at that point, enough for even our Founders to know that seemingly small nuances of our system of government would protect it from the ignorant masses.

And sometimes, people just use the term "fan" instead of supporter because it's more colloquial. But, then, that doesn't explain how or why former sports figures and actors get elected to public office.

Examples:
Ronald Reagan
Steve Largent
J. C. Watts
Tom Osborne
Heath Shuler
Arnold Schwartenuffer
Fred Thompson (actually, now I can't remember which one he was first)
Jack Kemp
Bill Bradley
Jim Bunning
Fred Grandy

Posted by: nyet | June 12, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

maybe it started out as a tattoo of eliot spitzer and the guy had inker's remorse...

Posted by: b | June 12, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

doesnt she want to be off the show to make movies? thats probably why she's doing everythigng she can to get written out. i hope she does get written off and then becomes the next caruso.

Posted by: k. heijel | June 12, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nyet | June 12, 2008 11:43 AM

my point exactly. I repeat, how frightening.
Also, while, yes, many people wanted Geo. Washington as king, my take is that they were more along the lines of political supporters who believed in his demonstrated leadership abilities and political positions than a "fan" who is merely impressed by his rugged good looks or celebrity status.
Sorry to be so serious here, and this will be my last post on the subject.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

PC, I loved that version of Let Me In!! And I find that a swift elbow to the mouth shuts people up. (Seriously, why would you talk during that? Grumble grumblegrumble.) I got there just for the last couple of National songs and was sorry I had to miss the rest.

Also, um, yeah, Fall On Me??? Awesome! And I *loved* that they kicked it off with Finest Worksong instead of something off the new album.

Posted by: h3 | June 12, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

so, how many posts are there at the clay spot from monday? (i know i could just click back, but i'm too lazy). maybe liz should cut these things off at, say, 100? after that, what else is there to say?

Posted by: wats | June 12, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Finest Worksong!

Rats. They dinna play that for us. While it's cool that they're not sticking to the same set every night, it's a bummer to find out what songs you missed...

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

byoolin is from Wheeling, WV?!?

My hubby went to Wheeling Jesuit College (now University) & we'll be going back there in Oct. for a wedding of a college friend.

How could you not go to see John Corbett?!?! He's waaay more dreamy than McDreamy. We missed his last charity performance there a few months back when we were there.

We should TOTALLY have a lizard meet up next time we're there!! Which should be Oct 18 for said wedding.

Though that will be in Moundsville. The friend lives right across from the prison so you'll find me there (outside not in)!! I'll be the one wearing the "CARM DOWN FATTY!! YOU'LL GET YOUR PONY SOON ENOUGH!!" shirt.

HEY!! We should have a big Lizard meetup here in the DC/Metro area!!

Posted by: Bored @ work | June 12, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Continuing on the list

Sonny Bono

Posted by: MGC | June 12, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Grey's Anatomy would be crazy to write Heigl out of the show.
Where would they find another large breasted blonde hottie in Hollywood?
Oh wait.

Posted by: dime a dozen | June 12, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Bored, I live in the Woodsdale neighbourhood - about a ten-minute walk from Wheeling Jesuit. My wife, the Lovely Mrs. byoolin, went there during her college days.

That prison in Moundsville is still scary, even if it has been closed for nearly 15 years. (Money quote from the website: "In 1986, the West Virginia Supreme Court ruled that the Penitentiary's 5 x 7 cells were cruel and unusual punishment." I mean, geez!)

So, the Alpha, sometime in mid-October?

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Word.

The friend lives one block over from the prison & the mound that gave Moundsville it's name.

The back of her house faces the prison. We got to her house & I said "What's that castley looking thing?" to which she replied "The prison." I was all kinds of excited. But it didn't open until the day after we left.

We're definitely going on the tour when we go back in the fall.

And I'm sure we'll be in the Pha & maybe see Mr. Corbett again.

Should I just go around asking every barfly "Are you byoolin?"

Before I knew he was from Wheeling I saw him in the Pha & thought "That guy looks like John Corbett.....but no way HE'D be in the Pha in West Virginia**pfft**" so I said & did nothing but watch a very attractive man drink at the bar for a while.

Then I said the the same friend, "That dude looks like John Corbett" to which she then replies "It is."

Of course by the time I knew this he was leaving & I couldn't drool on him in a proper fashion so I was just left speechless & angry that the friend didn't pony up that info a lot earlier.

**lesigh**

Posted by: Bored @ work | June 12, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin, it was a fantastic opener. And I agree totally - it's super cool that they're mixing it up and yet part of me is like, but my friend heard them play Find the River! No fair!

Posted by: h3 | June 12, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

If Oprah is so powerful how come she's not a line item in the Celebritology Universe Unabashed Glossary of Terms?

Ha! Answer me THAT.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 12, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and we missed John Corbett's charity performance because it was raising money for the Catholic high school.

That same school told The Kid about eight months earlier that she "wasn't welcome" in class because she went and got herself a lip ring. They told her that her options were to remove it or to remove it.

Our offer to cover it up (because nobody - including the place that did it - would remove it for at least 8 weeks because of the risk of infection) got us nowhere (unless having the school principal tell the Lovely Mrs. byoolin that she wasn't "doing [her] job as a mother" counts as getting somewhere).

So now the The Kid gets her National Honor Society-level grades at the public school. And she wears her lip ring if and when she wants to.

Posted by: byoolin rants. | June 12, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

is someone actually going to meet the famous byoolin face-to-face?!? be sure to take pictures so the rest of us can live vicariously through you two.

Posted by: melissamac1 | June 12, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

If anyone just can't resist checking out the carnage, BKD is indeed still going on at the Cleigh Eighken post:

Posted by: h3 | June 12, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

i think the best way to get back at heigl would be for the writers to incorporate a long and steamy love story for heigl and isiaah washington.

Posted by: heigl | June 12, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

must. type.

opracity: the extent to which a media figure feels the need to insert themselves into every aspect of popular culture.

usage: "Paris Hilton, while totally untalented, had an opracity of 96 percent."

wow...blanked out there for a minute. what happened?

Posted by: b | June 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

How can it still be BKD over at the Clay-arama if all the Lizards are here?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

i'd like to see izzy leave the show via homicide at the hands of george o'malley.

i mean, how much more of her insipid crap can he take?

Posted by: b | June 12, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Interesting question, Curmudgeon - is BKD still BKD if none of the regulars are commenting on it?

Posted by: h3 | June 12, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Bored, I've heard from someone who works there that John also likes to hang out at the Undo's (aka Tony & Cleo's) in Elm Grove.

A neat thing about Moundsville is that it's the prison that Robert Mitchum's character had done time in in "Night Of The Hunter."

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

How can it still be BKD over at the Clay-arama if all the Lizards are here?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 12, 2008 1:20 PM

****

Perhaps it's a time-travel problem. I think Joel's working on it over at Achenblog.

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Today's version:

CELEBRITOLOGY UNIVERSE
Unabashed Glossary of Terms
Blowback - non-Lizard snark
Booby Kennedy Day (BKD) - a bodacious afternoon at the Celebritology Hut
Boyzillion - the entire area of one's privacies after waxing
Byoolin - the Babe Ruth (in a good way) of the Celebritology Universe
Carm down - a warning that is issued when passions rise too precipitously
Cheetoes - what all B-list celebrity babies, and wannababies, are wearing this season
Clint Eastwood - grumpy old man
Contrafribularities - apologies, consolation
Cromulent - excellent, realistic, authentic
DB Cooper - Sasquatch's former and much missed neighbor
Doing the Funky Wiggle - what happens when LiLo breaks the one-at-a-time rule
Embiggen - to enlarge; to flesh-out (i.e., the results a boob job)
Empress Tea Lobby - the Lizard version of the Algonquin Round Table
Fatty - one who needs to carm down
Frumpy - to look like Rumer Wills wearing that slouchy beret thingy
Geigh - what Clay may or may not be
Harshing the snark - critiquing and otherwise criticizing Celebritology comments
Hater - someone with an opinion that differs from your own
Hirsute - what Sasquatch is
Incestupus - (1) the appearance of being incestuous (cf, Billy Ray Cyrus and daughter, Miley Ray Cyrus, in the "Vanity Fair" photo spread); (2) what you call Miley's relationship with Billy Ray if you want to incite another BKD (see Booby Kennedy Day, above)
Knockin' boots - (1) two people having sexual relations; (2) celebrities being snarked
Knockin' Ferragamos - the same as knockin' boots only done by wealthy Italians
LiLo leggings - a part of the Lizard Commando Unit's uniform generally worn while going up the rescue ladder; most distinctive features are the padded knee pads and easy-open crotch seam
Lizard - a denizen of the Celebritology Universe
Luvlinsey - a freak that doesn't know how to spell linDsAy
Methinks - the Lizard with the initial pony fixation
Mr Liz - beloved consort of Queen Liz and co-keeper of the Kelly menagerie; it is thought that Mr Liz has the good sense to stay away from the Lizards
Neck-to-knee - Clay's personal grooming secret
Photo spread - what Britney and Paris provide onlookers when exiting from an auto
Platicated - what Kate Holmes seems to be in more recent times (i.e., the results of a nose job)
Ponies -
Pornorific - self-explanatory
Privacies - that which can remain protected by a pair of LiLo leggings (unless the crotch seam gives way)
Propper nacked - showing more skin than Miley Cyrus did in the "Vanity Fair" photo spread
Shibbi/shibby - hot, cool, partying, or wasted
Skank - a streetwalker
Skanque - (1) a call girl; (2) a French streetwalker
Skeleboobs - aka Victoria Posh Spice Beckham (see also TOAS)
Snark -clever but keenly disparaging remarks about another organization, custom, or person (especially a celebrity)
Snarkfest - the Celebritology posting media
Snark tank - where a deserving celebrity is sent to be snarked limb from limb
Snarky - the essence of a clever, glib observation made by a Lizard
Televizzle - where one watches that Pekinese rescue league thing
TOAS - T**'s On A Stick (see also Skeleboobs)
Texting 'Tweener Tw*t (TTT) - (1) ignorant middleschooler; (2) ignorant grownup
Unchoreographed flame - (1) an event in a John Woo film reminiscent of the campfire scene in "Blazing Saddles"; (2) any unexpected event
Wrestling the taco - something that Mrs Hogan might want her new boy toy to do

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 12, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

thank you all for not hating on linsey today! i guess you guyz lerned your leson from yetserday

Posted by: luvlinsey | June 12, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Dude, go break in your leggings...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Curmudgeon. I am much impressed.

Posted by: h3 | June 12, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh look, Andy learned how to make emoticons with those hairy little paws.

Posted by: jes | June 12, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

1) can bored@work and byoolin get a room, please?

and

2) john corbett is a republican, thus his dreamy factor is non-existant.

Posted by: wats | June 12, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I like B's "opracity" definition, nominating it for inclusion in the celebriterminology glossary.

Personally I couldn't get ten minutes into "Knocked Up" -- but if I were an actress who made big movie bones via a big commercial success like that, I'd probably keep my mouth shut. Apparently she hasn't learned that it doesn't behoove one to piss off the writers, which is also a backhand at the director. A friend of mine suggested that KH would be "great" for one of my scripts and I nearly choked on my coffee. God forbid.

I thought George dumped Sarah because she blabbed about details of their relationship in an interview with Glamour or something. If this latest is true, I heart George even more. True story: while sailing with a bunch of strangers a few years ago, I bonded with one girl because we were the two out of seven women on board with real breasts. What a weird induction to the culture.

Posted by: hermespal | June 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: luvlinsey | June 12, 2008 1:27 PM

Day ain't over yet. :0)

----------------------------

2) john corbett is a republican, thus his dreamy factor is non-existant.

Posted by: wats | June 12, 2008 1:53 PM

Wow. Just wow.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | June 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon, that's quite a lexicon you've compiled. I don't want to take complete credit for the ony-pay fixation/ban on C-tology, though. I think what happened was I was a Fabulous Comment of the Week Winner re: a pony comment and from there..well..history was made. Anyhoo...I am duly impressed that you've put this together. Major props to the grumpy guy in the corner.

Posted by: methinks | June 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey, John Corbett could be a fascist anarchist & I'd still ride him hard & put him away wet!

Posted by: Bored @ work | June 12, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew......

Posted by: michael | June 12, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alicia | June 12, 2008 10:18 AM

*********************

Good for you. Maybe you can join one of her book club sessions now and learn to write better English.

Posted by: me writes good english, me became a fan | June 12, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

PC,

If you were the guy in row TT behind me that spent the whole show drunk screaming for "Driver 8", I have to have words with you:

Because if I ever find the a-hole that it was, I am not holding myself responsible for what I do.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 12, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

tee hee...driver 8. what a stupid song request.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bored @ work | June 12, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of concerts, we saw Chicago and the Doobie Brothers the other night--it's a great show, check it out if they come near you.

Posted by: hermespal | June 12, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

ACK! BORN-AGAIN, BORN-AGAIN, as in Born-Again Christian.

**Stupidworkinterferingwithslacking**

Posted by: Bored @ work | June 12, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alicia
===========
Yikes. That's not power, that's a cult-like leader mesmerizing her followers into blind obedience. Hate to say it, but your post nicely encapsulated the Oprah Problem.

Posted by: £££ | June 12, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Wait, that's the John corbett you're talking about? He played Aidan on SATC and what'shisname on Northern Exposure. I didn't know he toured. I didn't know he sand. Where the heck have I been?

Curmudgeon,
I shall now refer to you as the keeper of language but Curmudgeon for short.

Posted by: petal | June 12, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Personally I'm waiting for NKOTB to come to town. Their new song keeps playing over and over in my head and I'm not bothered by it.

Posted by: petal | June 12, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Proposed definition for p*ny: we don't use language like that in Celebritology land.

Posted by: epony | June 12, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Heigl sure is a piece of work. Not only does she insult the writers and producers of Greys but she then insults the Emmy folks by saying they just nominate the same people year after year regardless of the actual performances. I think Heigl is actually correct on both counts but what an ego.

Posted by: Woodbridge | June 12, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

pony definition: would be a unicorn if it had a horn in the middle of its head.

Posted by: methinks | June 12, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Yes, THAT John Corbett.

It's just-this-side-of-country kinda music. Not bad at all really.

Posted by: Bored @ work | June 12, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

luvlinsey: Lindsay. LINDSAY. A stalker of substance would at least spell the target's name correctly.

Sheesh.

Posted by: £££ | June 12, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

pony definition: something we all want but aren't allowed to talk about 'cuz you know, it's a four letter word.

Posted by: jes | June 12, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Bored@Work says about her fntasy man:

"For the record, John Corbett is also a Bonr-Again yet he's been living with Bo Derek for ages now, so take that for what you will."

Bored, I'm sure that you can make John Corbett call upon the Name of the Lord if you ride him hard enough.

Posted by: Sasquatch | June 12, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Never ever drink and read Celebritology at the same time. Not good for the monitor or keyboard.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Dang it that's sang not sand. And Corbett with a capital C.

Posted by: petal | June 12, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh.

Posted by: £££ | June 12, 2008 3:11 PM

Maybe Luvlinsey is not a fan of Lindsay Lohan but in fact of this person:

Posted by: h3 | June 12, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Deciding to support a candidate because some celebrity does is exactly what the founding fathers were afraid of. Hence the electoral college. The electoral college was NOT in addition to the popular vote, it is in place of the popular vote. The founding fathers knew the average citizen was an idiot. So, they put in place the electorals who could vote for whoever they want. If, in the wisdom of the electorals, they felt the populace had picked in idiot, they could substitute their own judgement. Electors are NOT required to follow the popular vote -- even today. They can, and have, in the past, switched their votes from whom the state went for.

Sorry for the disquisition but it is better than the one I posted on a football blog about contract formation and assuming risks in a contract. See what studying for the bar does to a person?

Posted by: ep | June 12, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Ah, this particular linsey has some impressive assets:

Her measurements are 37HH-26-36. Her weight is 122 lbs

I think we have an example of skeleboobs or TOAS. Too bad there were no pictures.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Bored: It's not surprising that you'd type "Bonr-Again".

After all, if you were to ask ten guys what they'd like to do next if they found themselves shacked up with Bo Derek, nine would give an answer that sounded exactly like that.

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin, add me to the list of new keyboards you're responsible for.

Posted by: hermespal | June 12, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"Writers' Revenge, A One Act Play"

Setting: Soundstage for "Grey's Anatomy," cast, writers and producers gather for a table read of next season's opening episode.

Head Writer: Katherine, you'll be glad to know that we've taken your criticism of last season's writing to heart, and made some interesting changes to the Izzy character.

Katie Heigl: Wonderful, I can't wait to hear about them.

Head Writer: Well for starters, over the summer Izzy has contracted a rare disease while treating a refugee orphan. The disease has given her a hunchback, facial hair and a lazy eye. You should report to makeup immediately, it takes five hours to apply the prosthetics and beard each day.

Katie Heigl: Me and my big mouth!

Head Writer: Oh, I forgot to mention, the disease also makes Izzy talk like a pirate.

Music cue: Wa-Waaah.

Cue inappropriately loud laugh track.

Fade to black.

Posted by: Screenwriter | June 12, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Byool, that's not true for any ten man sample. I think you're correct in factoring out the 10% that would be members of the Clay Nation. But it depends on how you stratify the sample. For sample, if your sample included ten men of a certain age range, then you're probably correct. However, if your sample skewed towards Gen-Y, for whom Bo Derek would be roughly the same age as their mothers, the answer would be only one out of ten....and Kinda Hogan already has bagged that viper.

Posted by: Sasquatch | June 12, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

That's LINDA Hogan!!! ARGH!!!!!

Posted by: Sasquatch can't effin type | June 12, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

There needs to be a stunt in there, one requiring a close-up shot so that Ms. Heigl has to perform it herself.

Posted by: byoolin doesn't want to get all producer-y on you, but how about this? | June 12, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

After a few episodes, they can replace Katherine with me. They won't need to put me through makeup (I already look like that), and as my previous post shows, I can already talk like a pirate.

ARRGH!

Posted by: Sasquatch is already doni' his pirate Izzytation | June 12, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: michael suddenly thinking he's said too much | June 12, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

kinda hogan...that would be brooke hogan's never-before-mentioned evil twin.

Posted by: methinks | June 12, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

byool, are you talking about bagging the viper again?

Posted by: ? | June 12, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"Sasquatch, while being a (older) member of Gen Y, I wouldn't mind being in a room with Bo Derek."

------------------------------------------
It's time for another night of WTWF* Action!

*World Taco Wrestling Federation

Posted by: Saquatch McMahon | June 12, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"there needs to be a stunt in there..."

Would that involve taco wrestling or teabagging?

Posted by: FX Quatch | June 12, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Backing up (gah! shouldn't use that phrase around here!) to that discussion about certain Lizards meeting up in WV -

Byoolin. Moundsville. Yes, of course that's where you'd find him.

Posted by: epony | June 12, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

'Squatch, I must respectfully disagree. Just think about all those high school teachers getting arrested for those after school specials with fifteen-year-old boys.

And you and I both know that you and I both would. Heck, even if she were EIGHTY, you could still call up your friends and say, "Yeti, man, you will NOT BELIEVE who I was just in a taco wrestling tournament with!"

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin. Moundsville. Yes, of course that's where you'd find him.

Posted by: epony | June 12, 2008 4:29 PM

********

The map is filled with wonderful places. My fave is Intercourse, PA, and I've heard that you can take the girl out of Dildo, Newfoundland, but - oh, look at the time. Must dash!

Posted by: byoolin | June 12, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, Byoolin has never heard of that famous town in Austria.

Posted by: Effing Sasquatch | June 12, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I actually found a comment that defends KH
in Lisa DeM's column.

anOPINIONATEDsob wrote:
Katherine Heigl, a very classy move by a woman with the brains to match her good looks. She has the right stuff to accomplish a fine career if the vultures keep their distance. To demand to be challenged by intellectual honesty and deeper thought is refreshing in the world of red carpet ignorance and excessive bad behavior. Writers should rise to the challenge and lets see what she can do with some real material.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I have officially added Oprahticy to our lexicon.

That John Corbett guy must realize that he's a fornicator and makes Baby Jesus cry everytime he Bonr Again.

Speaking of which, Sasquatch, I see that it's Thursday. You'd better get home if you want to get the wife likkered up by bedtime.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 12, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Obama's new book: The Opracity of Hope.

Posted by: £££ | June 12, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

So this is a little late. No..I was not screaming for Driver 8. (Plus I'm a girl, and was not drinking) My friend and I just made bets on what songs they wouldn't play and were surprised when they played everything we thought would not show up....

Sorry--screamers make me mad too...

Posted by: PC | June 13, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse