Posted at 11:03 AM ET, 06/26/2008

Undressing 'The Bachelorette'

By Christian Pelusi

You know you're a fan of "The Bachelorette" if:
1. You slug a drink every time the word "journey" is uttered.
2. You roll your eyes every time Bachelorette DeAnna Pappas, a real estate agent from Newnan, Georgia, lauds a guy for "putting himself out there."
3. You slump in your chair when DeAnna bemoans how "I've gone through what you're going through."
4. You understand there's nothing else to watch this summer.

If you selected No. 4, let's catch you up.

DeAnna Pappas: Sweet catch or fishy dish? (Craig Sjodin/ABC)

For those just joining us: After "Bachelor" Brad Womack's straight-arm at the altar grounded her in last season's finale, Pappas was given "a second chance at love" by becoming the rose-pinning hunter instead of the doe-eyed hunted. Since then, Pappas has dismissed 22 of her suitors with teary-eyed precision, from dropping Richard the Science Guy on the corner after a listless carriage ride through L.A. to the twin killing of nice guys Shh-KA-Go Fred and chest-baring chef Robert following a two-on-one roll in the friendship hay.

But last week was, wait, I'm sorry, host Chris Harrison...

THE MOST EMOTIONAL ROSE CEREMONY EVER!

Thank you. Nobody does it better. Anyway, with four contestants remaining, DeAnna's dismissal of hangdog Graham (Graham's Web site is a must-see and read) seemed to crystallize the age-old relationship dilemma: Can a person change their partner? No contestant stirred her soup the way ol' Graham did and their home visit to Graham's hometown of Raleigh, N.C., started out well, but ended in the kind of silent vitriol found in nuclear disarmament negotiations. For a refresher, view this YouTube clip.

What followed was, take it away Chris...

Graham who?! (ABC)

THE MOST EMOTIONAL ROSE CEREMONY EVER!

DeAnna chooses to send away the detached Graham rather than take a chance at ringing up the first 0-for-2 in "Bachelor/Bachelorette" history. Graham exits, looking like a guy who just got paroled from Shawshank and is headed to Zihuatanejo. He tosses a letter on the good-bye bench and ducks into the get-me-the-hell-out-of-here limousine. DeAnna scans Graham's scribblings, wells with tears and fills herself with self-doubt. Then, through the magic of editing and post-production, a quick cut washes it all away as DeAnna pushes the emotional carnage aside to clink glasses with the three remaining contestants before heading to Grand Bahama Island for "intimate overnight dates." Let's breakdown the options.

Jason, 31, Seattle account executive: The people's champion; cute toddler in tow, Ty; genuine, caring; may not have been wise to have DeAnna be the last to know about his child; Seattle home may be a bit too far for the Georgia-based DeAnna, considering she had no knowledge of the city's signature landmark, the Space Needle; most likely to acquiesce to her desire for "three kids by the time I'm 30." (Not sure if Ty counts as No. 1; she's 26.) Loves him some games of leap frog.

Jeremy, 30, Dallas real estate attorney: Robotic; has two settings: sap and seize as his sullen demeanor often gives way to his penchant for interloping on other guys' one-on-one time with extreme prejudice; his wooden karaoke at Frank Sinatra's Twin Palms home in Palm Springs should have been grounds for disqualification and a civil suit by the Chairman's estate; possibly does not own a computer since his home strategizing as an attorney consisted of what looked like remnants from an evening of "Win, Lose or Draw"; killer pad with a nice view of Big D ... Dallas, not DeAnna; goes vroom on a motorcycle.

Jesse, 26, Breckenridge, Colo. pro snowboarder: Satisfies all positive stereotypes of a pro snowboarder, but also adds a bit of boyish charm; bashful in his approach and, as previews for Monday's show revealed, the most old-fashioned of the three when it comes to shacking up; kind-hearted, deep-souled guy wth salt-of-the-earth parents; his buddy-buddy demeanor might cast him as "good friend" material, although hiking DeAnna on his back for a whisk down the mountain shows that he knows how to show a girl a good time; at least DeAnna knew what the Rockies were.

Final note: For next Monday's two-hour, combination episode/tell-all, ABC says, "DeAnna and Graham will both be put on the hot seat for a revealing question and answer session with Chris Harrison. Then the Bachelorette and Graham address each other for the first time since his painful rejection. Tempers flare as they argue over her decision to send him home, and Graham also shares the details of what he wrote in a secret letter he left for DeAnna. It's the bachelors like you've never seen them before!" Chris writes press releases, too.

Now as Chris might say, "Everyone, take a moment and before you say your goodbyes, file your thoughts on the show and its characters below."

-- Christian Pelusi

By Christian Pelusi  | June 26, 2008; 11:03 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Another Hollywood Strike?
Next: Morning Mix: Mini Me Files Major Suit

Comments

I hope she doesn't pick Jesse, he is way too nice for her. Jeremy is just a robot. And Jason is the nice guy that she probably won't pick because she likes dating guys that are wrong for her.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I say that DeAnna stiffs all of them for a 10-inc fluorescent green rotating, vibrating dill dough.

Posted by: Pillsbury Doughboy | June 26, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Send DeAnna to Iraq. She's from Georgia, so she supports the war and voted for Bush twice. I say let's send her to fight the war she supports.

Posted by: Playa | June 26, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Say, isn't that her in the video with Verne Troyer?

(And isn't it too bad that Jim Varney's dead?)

Posted by: byoolin could use a little 'know what I mean, Verne?' if you know what I mean, Verne. | June 26, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone noticed that Jesse is the spitting image of Chris Harrison? I think Harrison is moonlighting as Jesse.

Posted by: Kat | June 26, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Substitute Christian has posted a feature plus the morning mix! He's trying to distract us from another 150+ foreign language comments thread!

Curses! He's on to us!

Ohh, hunky [vapid] men. Shiny!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

He's trying to distract us from another 150+ foreign language comments thread!
**********

I don't think it's going to work since the Lizards in general not big Bachelorette fans - I don't think I have even seen it mentioned here before. Let the kookiness continue. (Wish I know how to say that in another language.)

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

But DeAnna is SO shopworn.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 26, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

DeAnna's 3 kids before 30 plan means getting pregnant 3 times in 4 years or 2 times in 4 years. Do the math and I am convinced will pick Jason. :)

Welcome to Seattle, DeAnna. :)

Posted by: Carol | June 26, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The Bachelorette is more TV Column than Celebritology. Given that if we don't like the main post we tend to go with our inventions, we should be afraid very afraid.

There is a pic of David Spade on the front page. Why? Does anyone actually like him? To me he is somewhere below D list.

Posted by: ep | June 26, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

If she wants the 2-3 kids ASAP, she should do what any conscientious breeder would do before buying a bull and insist on a breeding soundness exam.

Posted by: epony | June 26, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Playa,
I hope you were just making a joke. If you are not mentally off you realize that not everyone in a red state voted for Bush and everyone in a blue state voted for Kerry.
This idiotic belief that the media perpetuates that there is such a thing as blue or red states is maddening. There is a great divide in this country, but it definitely does not break down between states, it breaks down between individuals.
Even in liberal places like DC and New York there were 3 to 4 in 10 people voting for Bush and in conservative places like Montana and Alabama there were 3 to 4 in 10 people for Kerry. In 90% of the states is was more like 5.1 to 4.9 either way.

Posted by: DW | June 26, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Playa | June 26, 2008 11:43 AM

Wow, talk about generalizing. As someone said on OP the other day: shove it.

Posted by: Huh? | June 26, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

There's something really wrong about the premise for "The Bachelor" series....but aside from that....here are three guys with names that all start with "J": Jason, Jeremy and Jesse. Either they can start a boy band or they are aiming to take over the "Pep Boys" franchise.

Posted by: Groovis | June 26, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

never watched it. i saw it was coming on the other night and switched to one of the "Law and Order" channels, USA or TNT, i forget.

these folks don't meet the qualifications for celebrities.... they haven't been caught going commando and nobody's shaved their head - yet.

Posted by: b | June 26, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Playa, DW, Huh?, if you're coming to Celebritology for insightful political analysis, you're really in the wrong place.

EP, I agree. If the Bachelorette is the only show on TV, now's a good time to take up a nice hobby. Luckily for me, "Life on the D-List," and "Shear Genius" just got started. And I can watch re-runs of "Deadliest Catch" over and over again. I've watched it so many times that I think I could bait a crab pot with my eyes closed. I'm not so confident about throwing the hook, however.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | June 26, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Huh? | June 26, 2008 12:12 PM

Oh sure blame it on Clinton. Bush is definitely NOT to blame even though he and Condi ignored the memo entitled "Bin Laden planning to hijack planes to use in teror acts."

you guys are idiots.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The above two posts prove that it only takes seconds to send a Celebritology post.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | June 26, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pillsbury Doughboy | June 26, 2008 11:37 AM

________________________________

Probably has more personality than the dill doughs on the show.

Please keep politics off this blog. That's why I read Froomkin.

Posted by: jake e. poo | June 26, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Adding to the "you know you're a fan": You roll your eyes every time DeAnna mentions Brad.

All of the Brad references make me think:
1. She has never dated anyone other than Brad
2. She's still incredibly heartbroken by Brad.

In either case, the girl is pathetic. But I still watch.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking it would be hilarious if she leaves all of them and then ends up back with Graham. Wouldn't that be something...

Posted by: Ohyouknow | June 26, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

brilliant synopsis. i thought i made up the drinking game with "journey," though...

i can't believe how invested i am in this show. it's sickening. i hate myself. ptooey!!

is there any chance that whomever she picks will say, "thanks, but no thanks?" i'd really love to see her get rejected twice. she's earned it!

Posted by: wats | June 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

All of the Brad references make me think:
1. She has never dated anyone other than Brad
2. She's still incredibly heartbroken by Brad.

In either case, the girl is pathetic. But I still watch.

Posted by: | June 26, 2008 12:38 PM

***************

Who does she think she is, anyway - Jennifer Aniston?

Posted by: byoolin | June 26, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

ok, just checked out graham's website. hard to tell what it is he does for a living. he was billed on the show as a pro basketball player, but it appears that he was injured and now lives in nyc and has line of clothing. how'z that work? ....and there is a picture of him in an ad for Moen faucets. so is he a model? poor deanna. she couldn't wait to open the letter he left for her!

Posted by: wats | June 26, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

and everything DeAnna is going through, 'you have no idea how hard it is' and 'you have no idea what i'm going through.' get over yourself.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | June 26, 2008 1:26 PM

Shhhh-h-h-h-h-h. Everyone be vewy, vewy quiet. Maybe 'lvlinsay' will come to DeAnna's rescue.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 26, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Wats, dear, I think pretty much everyone who gets on one of these reality shows either is already or wants to be a model and/or actor.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Christian, I was thinking about this while doing a little dating research the other day. Well said.

Posted by: Paul Zhao | June 26, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

You are wound so tight you probably fart in high octave.

Posted by: | June 26, 2008 1:59 PM

Posted by: just posted on OP! | June 26, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Verne Troyer makes a guest appearance Celebritology, playing the part of a fluorescent, rotating dill dough named Huh? Typecasting personified, if you ask me.
-------------------------------------------

"Wow, talk about generalizing. As someone said on OP the other day: shove it.

If Bill Clinton had been paying attention, we never would have been attacked all over, either. Works both ways."

Posted by: Huh? |

Posted by: Pillsbury Doughboy | June 26, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

i vote christian pelusi for president.

Posted by: p.z. | June 26, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Huh? |

Posted by: Pillsbury Doughboy | June 26, 2008 2:03 PM

yes, bush has done so MUCH for our country. he ignored the memo entitled "Bin Laden planning to hijack planes to use in teror acts." unilaterally went and invaded another country. basically has done away with the constitution and all civil liberties. but yeah, clinton is to blame.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Okay, if you are going to invade the CELEBRITOLOGY blog with politics, at least post with a name. Don't be a coward and do it anonymously.

Posted by: ep | June 26, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how George Bush feels about the Lohans....

Posted by: Hmmmm....politics vs Celebritology | June 26, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how Bill Clinton feels, as it were, about the Lohans.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

We might tolerate political rants, particularly the ones that agree with my politics, as long as they're in Latin or German.

Posted by: epony | June 26, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how George Bush feels about the Lohans....

Posted by: Hmmmm....politics vs Celebritology | June 26, 2008 2:24 PM

________________________________

He thinks they're alsome

Posted by: jake e. poo | June 26, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

He thinks they're alsome

Posted by: jake e. poo | June 26, 2008 2:29 PM

where can i send a bill for diet coke all over my monitor?

Posted by: farmhand, IA | June 26, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Give Anon 2:27 a cigar! While we're at it, give Bill Clinton a cigar and 20 minutes of quality time with LiLo and Dina. Who volunteers to video the assignation? I'd love to, but I'll be busy tying up Jennifer Garner and Lara Logan.

Posted by: Sasquatch | June 26, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Groovis is grossed out | June 26, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

ok, must admit have never watched the bachelorette or the bachelor. does that mean something is wrong w/me? on the other hand, i do love judge judy and cops. again, does that mean something is wrong w/me?

Posted by: a pox on political messages | June 26, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Der Gedanke an George Bush oder Bill Clinton in einem Speedo ist widerlich

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Long Time Lurker here... just waiting to come up with a good official name to start posting as something other than anon...

Anyhow the thing that makes me laugh is how she is so sure she is going to fall in love. The acutal man is incidental to this process as long is there is one still standing during the last episode, there will be love g-damnit!.

Posted by: LTL | June 26, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Groovis sez:

"Politics/Celebritology - I suddenly conjured up a picture of George and Bill in Speedos."

I strongly suspect that those scenes have long since been photoshopped and posted. But if not, you know what to do.

Posted by: Sasquatch | June 26, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Hoo baby that Graham is hot. That girl is an idiot and an expert at
manipulating.the TV audience.
I liked how Graham was apparently drinking a big glass of wine through the whole conversation. I would too!

Posted by: possum | June 26, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: a pox on political messages | June 26, 2008 2:36 PM

There is NOTHING wrong with liking Judge Judy - I sometimes leave work early in order to catch the 6pm episode.

Posted by: Betty | June 26, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

oh, betty, thank you. i actually carve an hour out of the workday to watch judge judy. she has her own judy universe. it's a judge judy world.

Posted by: she who is grateful for betty's comment | June 26, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

well i admitted to becoming addicted to hannah montana. no need to be ashamed. we all have these horrible guilty embarassing pleaasures

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: janet's reluctantly moving past her beloved judge judy | June 26, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

RE: what about the sniff in the air on the madonna/guy ritche marital split to be? more wishful thinking? she looks very muscley (sp.) these days. the christie brinkley divorce is front and center altho' what appeared to be a delicious slugfest between bill murray and his now former wife petered out (sorry, verne) and last, anne hathaway's just now dumped boyfriend is in jail on a $21million dollar bond. thoughts?

Is it too late to suggest that any of those people to get a life? (or at least a nice serving of keilbasa and cabbage-and-noodles)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 26, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I love how Anne Hathaway's ex duped people. "The vatican hired me [a comparatively young guy with no verifiable financial skills] to handle their finance." Did no one check? Or jsut "Who would lie about working for the Vatican." Seriously, he is so going straight to hell for taking the Vatican's name in vain.

Posted by: ep | June 26, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: a pox on political messages | June 26, 2008 2:36 PM

**********

I think that just means you want to hang out w/ Sasquatch when he's doing his bondage stuff with Jennifer and Lara (not to mention the JLo spanking from yesterday). Definite corporal punishment tendencies.

(Judge Judy is too mean for me. I like that nice Judge David Young.)

Posted by: alex | June 26, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

judge judy is alsome!!!!

Posted by: wats | June 26, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

does any tv judge suck more than judge alex?

Posted by: wats | June 26, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

does any tv judge suck more than judge alex?

Posted by: wats | June 26, 2008 3:16 PM

Posted by: Betty | June 26, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

ep - I was thinking the same thing, it's maybe not as bad, but kind of in the same vein as taking a shot at the Pope - excuse me, sir, here is your ticket for the express train to hell.

btw, are you happy with the Supremes today? I thought they got it right today, but boy howdy did they get it wrong yesterday...

Posted by: sunnydaze | June 26, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

i would have responded to groovis' 2:36 comment sooner, but i was sacrificing my lunch to the porcelain goddess.

ewww...that's a cure for narcolepsy. i may never close my eyes again for fear the image you conjured will reappear.

Posted by: b | June 26, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The Verdict is Yours (CBS, 9/57-9/62)
Running primarily as a daytime show (prime-time only in the summer of 1958), the series was original in that it was not scripted. Outlines of the fictional trials were given to the actor-litigants and -witnesses and real-life attorneys (the judges were also played by attorneys). The jury was picked from the audience. Jim McKay, who was best known as the host of ABC's Wide World of Sports, was the show's first "court reporter," providing the audience with commentary on legal proceedings. It began a year before Day in Court and People's Court of Small Claims, which both adopted its style of improvised scripts. It had "stolen" the concept of audience members as jurors from They Stand Accused.

Posted by: Speaking of TV court shows | June 26, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

If we MUST picture presidents in Speedos, and frankly I'd prefer to NEVER EVER DO THIS, let's enjoy a brief mental image of Barack speedo-ly attired. That might not be too bad...

Posted by: jaybbub | June 26, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Judge Judy? Now you're talking. Here in the STL it comes on at 4 & 4:30, I leave work at 4:30, I can usually make it home to see the last case. Judge Alex sucks.

Posted by: jake e. poo | June 26, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

RE: i would have responded to groovis' 2:36 comment sooner, but i was sacrificing my lunch to the porcelain goddess

er, um, porcelain goddess? sacrificing your lunch?

okayyyyyy

I think this is just a bit more information than I need right nos.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 26, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Jusge Alex is just eye candy. Not the brightest bulb on the porch, but not particularly offensive, either. Just bland.

Posted by: alex (no relation) | June 26, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

b - that's what happens when you mix politics and Celebritology. We should all just say "No."

Posted by: G.M. | June 26, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I think it is a very valid point to imagine what a politician might look like in a Speedo, or how they'd be in the sack. I have a really, really hard time imagining Bill and Hillary in the sack together at all. And shame on me, I can't imagine Condi in the sack with anyone except maybe a good book.

Posted by: possum | June 26, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

judge alex has big, white, gleaming, snapping choppers. shades of the false teeth worn by miss trixie in confederacy of dunces.

Posted by: judge alex's teeth frighten janet | June 26, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Gloria?!

Posted by: byoolin | June 26, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

judge joe brown is good for a chuckle, but he can't hold a candle to my judy.

Posted by: wats | June 26, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

And I also love the People's Court - on for TWO HOURS here in DC - 10am-12pm. When I had surgery a couple of weeks ago (missed the whole Clay Aiken day!), it was AWESOME!!

Posted by: Betty | June 26, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I liked the Arrested Development episode where Judge Reinhold is getting set to do his reality courtroom show.

Posted by: byoolin | June 26, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

When I think "Trixie," I think of Trixie Delight:

"Just this once let Miss Trixie sit up front with her big t*ts"

Posted by: G.M. | June 26, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I can't even watch a commercial for any so-called-judge show. Much like my reaction to Dr. Phil (I can't even look at a picture of that doofus), I just go into a blind rage and then have to be tranquilized for the safety of all.

Posted by: sunnydaze | June 26, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Gloria?!
***
leave the board out of it.

Posted by: janet looks for her hat w/the flaps | June 26, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Praesidenten in Speedos? Wahnsinn, einfach Wahnsinn!

Posted by: B'more Katze- und Speedo-Geliebter | June 26, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of vie-a-gra, I have been trying every which way to get the filter to accept see-al-iss...

Posted by: jaybbub | June 26, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Ci@li$

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Why are so many Bachelor/Bachelorette haters bothering to read this article and comment on it? For the person who said it's time to take up a new hobby if that's the only thing on tv, I think the same goes for people who have nothing better to do than read articles about shows they don't even like and then complain. Obviously it's not a practical way to start a viable relationship, but it's entertaining tv. If nothing else, it should make the rest of us feel happy we didn't have to go on tv to find someone. I say, let the madness continue. It's definitely the most funny, entertaining show on Monday nights. Bring on the desperados for seasons to come!

Posted by: KLN | June 26, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Ciális?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

To KLN:

Are you new here, honey? Hatin' is what we do best. Or - in German - das Hassen besteht darin, was wir Bestes tun

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Hasselhoff

Posted by: The only German I know... | June 26, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I think reality shows are a sign of the apocalypse. I can not understand why people are willing to humiliate themselves on tv for a few bucks or 15 minutes. In 10 years there will be 5 of us left on earth that have never been on a reality show. Now they literally have babies, BABIES!!! on a stupid reality show.

Thank god for Netflix or I'd have to actually read a book or do something productive. By the way just finished Season 4 of The Wire. How did I miss this show???

Posted by: We're all going to hell, except for me because I don't watch | June 26, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Sunnydaze, very happy with the Supremes. I saw one sign by a protester that I just loved, "Do pens cause people to misspell?"

As for yesterday's ruling, I can live with it. Modern jurisprudence has held that the ultimate penalty imposed by the state should be reserved for the ultimate crime. Especially given the problems in the application of the death penalty in this country. You are going to get black child molesters sentence to death while whites get chemical castration. Which is what happened upt to the 1960s when the Supremes finally said the ultimate penalty reasoning.

Okay, back to celebritology. I stopped watching judge shows when Judge Wapner was still on the air. As a future lawyer I was APPALLED to see an Emmy go to the best tv judge. It's about jurisprudence, not getting to wear diamonds to a tv award show.

Posted by: ep | June 26, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

ep, wasn't part of the rationale re the death penalty argument was to give some incentive to sparing the life of the victim? If the same penalty were being meted out for rape as well as for murder, why not just murder the victim/witness? So, despite the heinousness of the crime(s) and the outrage provoked, there is a purpose behind the ruling.

Now, back to bachelorettes and poo.

Posted by: alex | June 26, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Judge Wapner wore diamonds to the Emmy show?

Posted by: Hunh? | June 26, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I haven't watched Bachelorette; these shows, I hate to confess, just seem really skeevy. Is that the point? Skeevy fiction TV I like; skeevy celebrities are fun, but non-celebs? Ick.

Since I may have been responsible for French day yesterday, I'll add this for German day:

Was tust du?
Ich u*be Geige.
Bist du mu*de?
Ja.
(* - imagine the umlauts)

Wo ist Peter?
Im Boot.

Das is alles. Ich habe Deutsch vergessen.

Posted by: m.a.t. | June 26, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

ü (copy & paste)

Posted by: Here ya go, m.a.t. | June 26, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

KLN I'm with you sister. Bring on the drama. I bet no matter what happens next week, we'll find after that she's now single and looking for love. Again.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Unless I missed it, why hasn't some one posted the deadly joke in German from Monty Python? All I remember is that it had something like "stradlemiere" in it.
I do remember the German to English joke developed by the Nazis:
There were a couple of peanuts walking down the strasser. And one was a salted...peanut.

Posted by: possum | June 26, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The funniest joke in the world:

Mein Hund hat nicht eine Nase.
dann wie riecht er?
Schrecklich!

My dog hasn't got a nose? Then how does he smell??? Awful!

Posted by: Groovis loves Monty Python | June 26, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I hate to admit that I took French, German, and Russian up thru college--and I even lived in Germany--but I couldn't find my way to the friggin' Bahnhof now if my life depended on it. There's so much information that just got tossed out of my brain like useless ballast. (Like my phone number some days.)

Posted by: alex | June 26, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I have forgotten the combination for my lock at the Y. I have not gone in months now.

I officially know enough German to read a scholarly article, but remember very little from my junior high German class, beyond the important difference in pronouncing schiesse vs. scheisse (via a dialog on playing soccer and a very unfortunate student).

Posted by: mouse | June 26, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

The delicious irony of the Supremes would be having one of them shot by some crackhead gangsta in a holdup attempt.

Posted by: Islamorada Girl | June 26, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

ok I have some inside infor....
100% Jason is the chosen one!! One of the things d loved is that he was the FIRST guy ever to ask of her mother's passing. She needed that...Jermey needed the same thing, D could not give him because she was in the same boat....
Jesse is toast, but makes it to final 2.
Very sad and emotional Monday to come!! My heart goes out to Jeremy!!
Remember...Jason is the one!! Twilley's intereview he throws it saying D did not have chemistry with jason...My sisters brother works on the production crew...

Posted by: a friend | June 26, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

This is two days in a row where I have no interest in the second Celebritology post of the day.

Can't we talk about Gordon Ramsay? He says lots of naughty words.

Posted by: £££ | June 26, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Riddle me this, batpeople: Why is Jaclyn Smith hosting Shear Genius with hair that looks like she forgot to rinse out her conditioner?

That was rhetorical. I really don't care. It's true, but I don't care.

Posted by: £££ | June 26, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Watch it, LTL. I may do the British Sterling symbol, but I have a lock on LLL, too.

I'm going to go mark my territory now.

Posted by: £££ | June 26, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

As a future lawyer I was APPALLED to see an Emmy go to the best tv judge
****
didn't rachel ray just get an emmy? how is that any better than judge wapner, who was at least a hoot. rachel ray reminds me of a bass. the fish, not the singer or instrument.

Posted by: janet has been practicing law for 30 years and is still standing | June 26, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm appalled that anyone would admit to being a future lawyer.

Posted by: £££ | June 26, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

gordon ramsay says many, many,many naughty words, but doesn't he seem abusive as well? or is that demeanor just for the t.v. show? if someone spoke like that to me, i'd heave the pot roast at him. before we were married, i was searing a steak and cut a small slit to see if it was done. he sat there and said "well, you've ruined it". he survived, but barely.

Posted by: janet | June 26, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm appalled that anyone would admit to being a future lawyer
????