Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 06/30/2008

What Would Jamie Lee Do?

By Liz Kelly

Jamie Lee Curtis holds a steely vigil in the galley of the Virginia Responder. (Photo by Matt Nelson for washingtonpost.com)

There isn't much debate about it -- we are a society of celebrity worshippers. And despite the most vehement protests that we couldn't possibly be that shallow, I was reminded -- yet again -- last week of just how completely members of the Screen Actors Guild have replaced religious dieties in our daily lives. We look up -- not to the heavens, but to the outsized faces that gaze down on us from the silver screen. Yes, there are outliers in any survey sample -- but I'd wager that People Magazine outpaces the presence of traditional religious icons in most American homes.

Not that I'm complaining. This ever-deepening development is nothing but good for my business as a chronicler of the new pantheon of gods. But no matter how far I think I've gotten from the Celebritology beat, it just keeps sucking me back in. The latest case of this happened last week while headed to a week-long Outer Banks vacation.

Standing in the bowels of the oil spill clean-up ship Virginia Responder is the last place I expected to be reminded of the world of celebrity. But while passing through the utilitarian galley of the 210-foot-long ship, docked at the end of a dusty gravel road in Virginia Beach awaiting the call of duty, my "Deadliest Catch" fantasy was interrupted by a framed promo still of Jamie Lee Curtis staring down from the wall over a row of booths. A sprig of fake flowers lent a shrine-like air to the actress's presence in the gun-metal gray chamber. Rather than walk by and continue on our early morning tour of the vessel, I had to know.

My brother-in-law Tim, one of the guys responsible for keeping the Responder at the ready, sheepishly admitted that Jamie's face had graced the galley for some years now. Apparently the vessel had been used for a faraway ship shot in the 1999 Curtis-fronted disaster movie "Virus." It wasn't clear whether Jamie Lee herself had ever set foot on the Responder, but at some point a signed headshot arrived and began its long vigil over the crew.

And there it still hangs. Hundreds or thousands of years hence, perhaps a future civilization will find this time capsule scrapped at the bottom of the Chesapeake and ponder the enigmatic face staring serenely out at those who approach. What will they assume about this woman, I wonder? That she was a goddess? A protector? Or, perhaps, that she was merely the co-star of a B-level sci-fi movie that Curtis once called her personal "worst."

By Liz Kelly  | June 30, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Extreme Fans, Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Amy Winehouse Punches at Fan During Show
Next: Morning Mix: No Tattoos for 'Pure' Paris

Comments

Aren't sailors supposed to be extraordinarily superstitious? I would say Jaime Lee Head Shot has ascended to Good Luck Charm status on that ship. Take it away, and bad things might happen.

Posted by: jelo | June 30, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"Jamie's face had graced the galley for some years now..."

That picture isn't of a face that's 'gracing' anything. She's clearly trying to sink your brother's tub by glaring torpedoes of pure hate at the bulkheads.

Perhaps we could prevail upon Ms. Curtis to provide a picture of herself in happier (and need I say, more topless) times?

Posted by: byoolin | June 30, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Just curious, since I was unable to find the answer on the web, is the VA Responder a Coast Guard or Navy vessel? Or is it privately owned?

I'm sure the JLC pic is up there because, (a) she took the time to send it, (b) sailors ARE superstitious, and (c) for kicks and giggles.

Posted by: methinks | June 30, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Sorry - brother-IN-LAW, Liz Kelly.

Posted by: byoolin awaits his keelhauling. | June 30, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps crew members should eat Activia yogurt and talk about their digestive health while sitting under the protective gaze of the Icon of St. Jamie Lee of the Orbs.

Posted by: Winthorp | June 30, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

This is fascinating. I have to say, reading Greek and Roman myth always made me think that gawking and certain belief systems have a lot in common. Celebrities are in our world, but not of it; we're occasionally granted visitations in the form of movie premiers or chance encounters on the street. ::wanders off to read philosophy::
Gotta agree with jelo- from what little I know of sailors, superstition is huge (can't say the word "thirteen", it's always "twelve plus one"; can't talk about pigs on board ship (if you have to, call them "a curly-tailed animal"); so on and so forth).

Posted by: Bawlmer | June 30, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

The first thing that popped in my head when I looked at that picture was "Lizzie Borden."

Posted by: b | June 30, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I don't have anything productive to add. I'm just happy the aptures seem to be making a come back. Sweet!

Posted by: petal | June 30, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

You can consider that picture a symbol of how nice JLC is. I live in Newport News, where parts of "Virus" was filmed, and there are restaurants with signed head shots around and about. Apparently, as miserable as she was, she was very very sweet to the people she dealt with in this pissant lil town.

Posted by: o.l. | June 30, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Also, that is a very steely gaze indeed. Perhaps the picture serves as additional hull reinforcement?

Posted by: Bawlmer can only read so many acronyms before getting distracted. | June 30, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

didn't jamie lee once pose proper naked on the cover of a magazine to show ladies that celebrities have wrinkles too? i hope this picture wasn't taken at the same shoot cause she look awful angry.

Posted by: melissamac1 | June 30, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I second Byoolin's suggestion for a photo of Jamie Lee in a happier, topless time. Where's Producer Paul when we really need him?

Posted by: Saquatch | June 30, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Jamie Lynn would say . . .

Liz, you need to go back on vacation.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 30, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

You went on one of this socially responsible vacations didn't you Liz? good for you.

Umm, wasn't one of the old sailors superstitions that a woman on board was bad luck? Of course, that picture of Jamie Lee could be the exception. I thought the movie was Virus, not Little Sister Finally Offs Big Brother MIchael for good this time, Halloween 8442.

Posted by: ep | June 30, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Melissamac, I belive the phrase you are looking for is "Propper nacked."

Welcome back Liz Kelly.

Posted by: sunnydaze | June 30, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I was going to third byoolin's suggestion.

However, thinking of Jamie Lee's real-and-spectaculars reminded me that she co-starred in a movie with, er, that young actress, the one who played the twins in that other movie, who has a reality show mom and budding recording star sister, and who did a topless photo shoot recently.

So while I was thinking about the G-rated, kid-friendly "Freaky Friday," all I'm really seeing is something else and I'd just better go lie down now.

Posted by: true lies | June 30, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I like Jamie Lee. Really, I do. But all I think of when I see her now is a bunch of yellow dots forming an arrow towards her anus. And of yogurt.

So much for memories of "A Fish Called Wanda."

Posted by: £££ | June 30, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Okay, first paragraph + photo = Bx thinks JLC has joined Tim Russert and George Carlin in the Upstairs Canteen queue. Glad to hear the photo's only a souvenir of a movie so bad it can't even get 2am airtime on local television.

Could the cellophane-wrapped rose possibly be any more "in memoriam"-like?

Posted by: BxNY | June 30, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

But all I think of when I see her now is a bunch of yellow dots forming an arrow towards her anus. - Posted by: £££

********

But topless, right?

Posted by: byoolin, sinks back, exhausted, on the cartons of yogurt. | June 30, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, did somebody ask for something like this? (not topless though, as I value my job.

Also -- we're almost 20 comments in and no one has mentioned THE rumor about her?

Posted by: Producer Paul | June 30, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Argh, the link didn't format -- http://67.19.222.106/movies/graphics/curtis.jpg

Posted by: Producer Paul | June 30, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The portrait doesn't bug me so much, but that flower taped to the outside -- I have a hard time believing it came with the picture, but an even harder time thinking some sailor added it after the fact. ?

Posted by: td | June 30, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

no one has mentioned THE rumor about her?

Posted by: Producer Paul | June 30, 2008 12:40 PM

*****

The one that says she's withdrawn her name from consideration for an Emmy?

The one that says as Lady Hagen-Guest, she's 28th in line for the throne of Great Britain, thereby giving her motive to have Diana bumped off?

The one that says she really does have yellow dots all over her?

Posted by: byoolin | June 30, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I was trying to avoid the rumor, Paul -- assuming we mean the same rumor.

Posted by: td | June 30, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

td, you probably mean the same rumour - after all, the picture he linked to is the one on the Snopes page about it.

Posted by: byoolin deduces... | June 30, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

You mean the rumor where Jamie Lynn is a secret Muslim?

(nah, probably not.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 30, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

that picture could use a little water from a flower vase to slick her hair back and some boob push-up-age a la True Lies, then it's worthy of all the seamen on that ship

Posted by: flutterbyjen | June 30, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Is it the rumor about the inherent evil of all people with three word names?

John Wilkes Booth
Lee Harvey Oswald
Kathy Lee Gifford

Posted by: M Street | June 30, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Jamie Lee a Muslim? Look at that flower with gold ribbon and white heart, all objects found in the Middle-East and possibly given by Muslim men to their chattel?

Jamie Lee endorses Muslims?!

Posted by: byoolin | June 30, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Please, people. Jamie Lee is NOT Jamie Lynn.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

oooops.

Jamie Lee not Jamie Lynn.

Yes, right.

Nevermind

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 30, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

You know, I just can't see me asking the questions attributed to me in that 1:03 post.

Posted by: byoolin | June 30, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

What, the rumor that she inspired the Tommy Tutone song?
::humming:: "Jamie, I got your number- eight-six-seven-five-three-oh-nieeeieeeiiiine!"

Posted by: Bawlmer will be singing that for the rest of the week. | June 30, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Looks like my doppleganger is getting creative. First he implies that Jamie Lee Kennedy is a Muslim, and then he questions himself five minutes later?

I just can't see me asking the questions or commenting on it later to bring awareness to the original post.

Posted by: byoolin | June 30, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I did get the picture from the snopes sight, but, I mean, it certainly met my criteria. No need to keep digging if you strike gold right away.

And I meant the rumor about her speaking Icelandic.

Posted by: Producer Paul | June 30, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

all u do is h8 peepol. jamylee loves kitens unikrns & jesus. + she has gr8 boobs. we luv u, jamylee. don lisen 2 the h8rs!

Posted by: luvjamylee | June 30, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Jamie Lee got her bazooms embiggened to maintain symmetry with her manhood???!?!

Owe the humanity!!!

Posted by: Saquatch | June 30, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

yes, byoolin, *that* rumor. Though I thought you were kidding with the Lady Hagen-Guest comment. I had no idea she really had that title -- nor did I know that she and Paul Newman are the godparents of Jake Gyllenhaal!

Posted by: td learns all kinds of things on imdb | June 30, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

1. Bawlmer, it's "Jenny I got your number."

2. Why the plastic flowers? If she was filming "Virus" why not a test tube with some sort of fake stuff in it? Or a hypodermic needle?

3. Producer Paul, shame on you!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | June 30, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Ah, THAT rumor. Yeah we used to speak about it in hushed tones in middle school.

Posted by: Stuck@Work | June 30, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

And I meant the rumor about her speaking Icelandic.

Posted by: Producer Paul | June 30, 2008 1:17 PM

I heart Jamie Lee Curtis. And of course she speaks Icelandic. I would expect nothing less.

Posted by: Sappho | June 30, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

all u h8trs are jealous cuz jamylee has bigr boobs and her dik is bigr, 2!

Posted by: luvjamylee | June 30, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

1. Bawlmer, it's "Jenny I got your number."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | June 30, 2008 1:26 PM

I was misremembering for comic effect. (Should have made that more obvious.)

Posted by: Bawlmer | June 30, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 30, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"RE: "all u h8trs are jealous cuz jamylee has bigr boobs and her dik is bigr, 2!"

No, dear, probably not bigr. It was most likely tied in a knot at birth and fell off. That's what they do with extra fingers, too"

I think I just found my line for what I'm willing to gossip about. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Posted by: Bawlmer | June 30, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Is that what they do with surplus dingleberries as well?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey! I speak Icelandic. Is there anything wrong if Jamie Lee speaks Icelandic? I didn't think so.

Posted by: B'More Cat and Jamie Lee Lover | June 30, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the double Icelandic. It's like a double entendre but with more diacritical marks.

Posted by: B'More Cat and Cat Lover | June 30, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

This would typically be the time where I would say something witty and you would all adore me for it, but I got nothing. You all may adore me nonetheless.

Posted by: byoolin | June 30, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

It's OK, byoolin. We still love you.

Posted by: methinks | June 30, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"Double Icelandic" sounds like a new cocktail mixed at all the best singles bars in the nation.

It's served in a frosted mug, of course.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 30, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"Double Icelandic" sounds more like a manage et trois between two Eskimo and a polar bear.

It's served in an igloo, of course.

Posted by: byoolin | June 30, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Byooling writes:

It's served in an igloo, of course.

==========================================
I think your 2:52 comment was on the mark.
I'm Winchester, too.

Posted by: Sasquatch | June 30, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Ok, who's over in On Parenting posting as "Donna"? I know if has to be one of us...

Posted by: NC2 | June 30, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

i must thank sunnydaze for correcting my celebritology vocab. i don't know what i did with my print out, but i will find it. thanks for keeping me straight sunny, you are certainly the light of my life. :+)

Posted by: melissamac1 | June 30, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I'd like to take advantage of this lull in the day to point out that the styling of the female Spotted Hyena features an accessory package in the netherloins.

Posted by: Crocuta crocuta | June 30, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

After NC2's comment, I did a quick review of the MM Blog. I would be more likely to finger Father of 4 as a poseur, particularly with the toenail trimming comment.

I did like the question from whomever it was who asked "Donna" if her last name is "Reed."

Posted by: Sasquatch | June 30, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Sas?

I think that "Donna" and "Father of 4" at the OP page are the same person - sort of like a virtual Jamie Lee.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 30, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Wait, are you saying Jamie Lee has a penis like a female hyena? Is everyone in Iceland like that?

Posted by: possum | June 30, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Father of 4 as a poseur, particularly with the toenail trimming comment.

Actually, Fof4 posted long ago on "On Balance" that he's blind, so has to have some routine chores done for him, although evidently donning a condom isn't one of them. You can usually spot his posts by the typos.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Found this under "Guest Blogs" on the "On Balance" blog. Apparently the reader comments have been removed from the blog.

Posted by: "Father of Four Tells All" | June 30, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

JLC was in The Fog. I know it's old and corny, but it still scares the bejeesus out of me. They reran it on AMC (I think) this weekend and I kept having to turn the channel when thing got too tense. I'm a sucker for the old horror movies.

I don't believe the rumor (but wouldn't care one way or the other). I'm glad she's never dignified it with a response.

Posted by: alex | June 30, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Memo to the poorly-made faux byoolin:

1) Your 2.52 should have read "I've got nothing," not "I got nothing." Or "I've got music, I've got rhythm."

2) Your 3.00 should have read "mènage-a-trois," not "manage et trois" ("manage and three"?) and the plural of "Eskimo" is "Eskimos." Most Canadians of my generation call them "Inuit." Call 'em what you will, though, Inuit/Eskimos are not native to Iceland.

Posted by: byoolin is byoolin. | June 30, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

That's a not nice rumor. I've never heard that before.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

So we have a Byoolin Poseur in our midst?

I was wondering why Eskimos were mentioned in relation to Iceland, when everyone knows it was those Swishy Swedish ancestors who colonized the place.

Posted by: Sasquatch | June 30, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

^^^^^^
never once in my 56 year old life have i heard or read about this jlc rumor. between that and the soccer player, will have to retire to a dark room w/a cool cloth and a glass of lemonade. it's only 112 here today

Posted by: janet is staggered by jlc allegations | June 30, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I Got Rhythm
(Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald)

In this fast and troubled world we sometimes lose our way
But I am never lost I feel this way because...

I got rhythm, I got music, I got my girl
Who could ask for anything more?
I've got good times, no more bad times
I've got my girl, who could ask for anything more?

Old man trouble I don't mind him
You won't find him around my door
I've got starlight, I've got sweet dreams
I've got my girl, who could ask for, who could ask for more?

Old man trouble, I don't mind him
You won't find, you're never gonna find him 'round my door
Oh, I've got rhythm, I've got music
I got my girl, who could ask for anything more?

I've got rhythm, I've got rhythm ...

by George Gershwin

*********

Thanks, byoolin. Now I'VE GOT this song stuck in my head!

Posted by: alex | June 30, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The settlement of Iceland began in 874 when, according to Landnámabók, the Norwegian chieftain Ingólfur Arnarson became the first permanent Norwegian settler on the island.

Posted by: wikipedia | June 30, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH!
They'll *hear* you.

Posted by: sunnydaze is scared of the MM | June 30, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Alex, for what it's worth, Nosy Parker mentioned on the morning mix that today was Lena Horne's birthday (and the anniversary of Buddy Rich's), and both of them have recorded versions of it. You could be in worse company.

Posted by: byoolin | June 30, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and gentlemen, the Swedish Moses of Soul!

Posted by: MST3K | June 30, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

A pox on the Byoolin Poseur, I say! A POX!

Also, "I Got Rhythm" used to be Catholic couples' theme song.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 30, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I got rhythm
I'm a Catholic
I got ten kids
Who could ask for anything more?

Posted by: il papa | June 30, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

janet--there doesn't seem to be any basis for the rumor other than the fact that her parents gave her a unisex name. As the Snopes article notes she could have easily been named Kelly. There were a lot of popular unisex names back then (including Leigh (her middle name and mother's last name), Lee, Jesse, Jody, Jan, Dale, Tracy, Nicky, Toby, Alex, etc.). Plus, the slightly old-fashioned unisex names that were still in vogue (Shirley, Shelley, Evelyn, Leslie/Lesley, Laurie, etc.).

Clearly, not everyone who had one of those names was a hermaphrodite. Stupid, cruel rumor. But, even if it were true, it's just a correctable medical anomaly, and has nothing to do with someone's character, behavior, abilities, or talent. I'm glad she's ignored it.

Posted by: alex | June 30, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

better to have gershwin stuck in your head than one of my songs:

Það var i Næturlestinni i Kairo
það sem ég hitti arabadreng
sem siðan aldrei úr huga mér hverfur
ég elska hann

Posted by: björk makes no sense in english either | June 30, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Thank you all for the corrections about Eskimos/Inuits and Iceland. Eskimos/Inuits are native to Greenland, not Iceland. Greenland is still a colony (or other political subdivision) of Denmark.

A further correction, Iceland was settled primarily by Norwegians and Danes. I won't go into details, unless you are really, really bored. Iceland was a colony of Denmark until it declared independence on June 17, 1944.

Posted by: B'More Cat and Icelandic History Lover | June 30, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Any truth to the story that Vanilla Ice is from Iceland?

Ice, Ice, Baby!

Posted by: Sasquatch puts another song in your head | June 30, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't the Inuit have like 100 different words for "penis"?

Posted by: possum | June 30, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Possum asks:

Don't the Inuit have like 100 different words for "penis"?
==========================================
But we have many more names, all of them proper nouns. Collectively, we call these penises "male celebrities."

Posted by: Sasquatch | June 30, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I'd rather have Gershwin stuck in my head than some of last week's songs--Patti La Belle, The Safety Dance, Steely Dan (not the good stuff--Peg and Reelin' in the Years), Anne Murray, etc.

I'll have to keep repeating the Zoom, zoom, zoom thing from that car commercial as my sure-fire method to block out all the other insidious music.

Why can't there be earplugs for the brain?

Posted by: alex | June 30, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

yeah, like "Markey Mark", "Richard Gere", "Roger Smith", "Homer Simpson", and "Dick Chaney".

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 30, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of bjork, no one suggested Dancer in the Dark and one of the films to avoid for Producer Pauls filmfest last week.

That definitely should have been somewhere on the list.

Posted by: alex | June 30, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Same rumor used to circulate about Brooke Shields. They cannot dignify it with a repsonse; people will believe what they want to believe.

Posted by: JLC rumor | June 30, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

This goes out to Bawlmer:

8-6-7-5-3-0-9eeyi-en*.

*The only song in the world where 9 has three syllables.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | June 30, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

"A noble vocabulary embiggens the smallest phallus."

Yet another reason why I'm better than y'all are, and I'm better endowed.

Posted by: byoolin | June 30, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming this is a byoolin wannabe at 6:41.

I only wish I DID have byoolin's vocab--altho I don't possess that particular body part or need it embiggened.

(But I still haven't forgiven him for the "M" word that is now included in the glossary. I could have gone my whole entire life without knowledge of that.)

Posted by: alex is not a hermaphrodite | June 30, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I have viewed many hot singles' videos and photos at a club---------- ++++++ u k i n t e r r a c i a l m a t c h . c o m +++++++ --------- where many black and white singles who are seeking for ideal match seriously...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 2, 2008 5:16 AM | Report abuse