Posted at 1:00 PM ET, 07/30/2008

Comic-Con Bonus Video: The Fans' Assessment

By Jen Chaney

I can't speak for Liz. (Well, I could speak for Liz, but that would be rude and uncalled for.) But I suspect we both are still experiencing a Comic-Con hangover, that sleepy, headachy feeling that inevitably comes from imbibing too much pop culture in a brief period of time.

From my perspective, last weekend was hectic, overwhelming and a total, complete blast. But I wanted to know what the attendees of Comic-Con thought of this year's big event. So I asked a few and captured their thoughts on video.

Hence, I present this clip, which features, among other things, a dude dressed as Batman but whose actual name -- here comes the irony, kids -- is Robynn. And yes, there were thousands of people at Comic-Con who were not dressed in costumes. But they don't look nearly as cool on video.

By Jen Chaney  | July 30, 2008; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Comic-Con
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Creative Captioning: Chris Martin's Got the Look
Next: Morning Mix: Rosie O'Donnell Gives Up Blogging... For Now

Comments

why do we need 5000 comic-con posts?
enough already

Posted by: Geez | July 30, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

why do we need 5000 comic-con posts?

So Liz & Jen can justify to the Post the expense of sending them to San Diego. Sure beats DC in July!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"why do we need 5000 comic-con posts?
enough already" - Posted by: Geez

******

All together now: "Would you like a little Geez with that whine?"

Posted by: byoolin nouveaux '63 | July 30, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Carm down -- it's another comic-con post, yes, but there's also still a creative captioning post in need of more entries. Get busy!

Posted by: Liz Kelly | July 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

All together now: "Would you like a little Geez with that whine?"

Posted by: byoolin nouveaux '63 | July 30, 2008 1:35 PM

that was good. i gotta hand it to ya!

Posted by: to byoolin | July 30, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

My assessment of ComicCom...since you brought it up...

1. Knowing Paris Hilton was there was nice. That's our job at C-tology: tracking The Paris. Knowing she caused not a stir amongst the nerdos: priceless!

2. Lost is lost on me. Sorry.

3. MST3K TOTALLY ROX!

4. Weird bling and swag is mildly interesting. I lurve me the convention swag (I still have my Democrat and Republican Kraft Macaroni n' Cheeses from the '92 Conventions!) Still, it was disheartening to see the total feeding frenzy for "limited edition" bobbleheads and games. eBay, people. Everything goes on it eventually.

5. The Etch-a-Sketchist is very cool.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 30, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The Telegraph newspaper site has a nice complement to the Etch-A-Sketchist: album covers made from Lego.

Posted by: byoolin ate all his Legos and now poops tiny rectangles. | July 30, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting for my Dwight Schrute bobblehead.

Posted by: Em | July 30, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Liz, can you and Jen tell us why you didn't cover the most important event at Comic-Con? I am, of course, referring to the joint appearance by Carmen Electra and Kim Kardashian.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 30, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if that dance was awesome or freakin awesome....

I for one appreciate the comic con stuff--lets us embrace our inner geek while also imbibing on celebritolgy fun...

Posted by: PC | July 30, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Liz and Jen for the amazing Comic Con Coverage! Not only was I highly entertained but my innner nerd was satisfied. I hope you ladies had a ball.

Posted by: unmute | July 30, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't get Lost, either.

Posted by: Rob | July 30, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I've now seen the Hare Hare Yukai dance performed by Vocaloid cosplayers on the Washington Post... I've never been rendered quite so speechless by one of your posts Liz. I mean, when i saw the picture of the girl in Gaza with the SOS Brigade sign - that one threw me... but you're pushin the envelope here boss.

Watching subcultures exposed in a participatory fashion (see Henry Jenkins on THAT can of worms - i'm sure he'd be more than happy to open it up for you) is fascinating (and personally seeing it from the self-avowed Haruhist side of the equation is beyond amusing). This series has been good journalism - thanks again for the work.

Posted by: Quintilius Varus | July 31, 2008 2:24 AM | Report abuse