Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 07/21/2008

Comment Box: Childfree by Choice Celebs?

By Liz Kelly
Comment Box

All this talk of Hollywood babies makes me wonder: do you know of any celebrities who are vocal about being childless by choice? I feel like I've seen quotes from Rachael Ray about choosing not to have kids. I can't stand her, but it's nice to hear a celebrity talk honestly about not having kids instead of saying "I can't wait to start a family" because that's what they think people want to hear. -- from last week's Celebritology Live discussion

Good question. Since one can hardly walk the streets of L.A. or St. Tropez without stepping on a celebrity baby these days, there's no better moment to visit the other end of the spectrum -- celebs who have consciously opted out of the baby-making and kid-rearing game.

A few big names immediately come to mind:

Oprah Winfrey, for one, who has said publicly that she never intended to have children. Though the philanthropic talk show host says she now considers all students of South Africa's Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls to be her daughters.

George Clooney, who once told Diane Sawyer: "There isn't anything in me that wants to replicate. I believe in all of those things, in a way, but I don't necessarily think it has to be from my loins. And I always find that it is such a great responsibility that I thought it was something I couldn't just do half-arsed." (Though the actor was proud papa of a 300-pound potbellied pig for 18 years.)

Hugh Grant, who reportedly said: "It's not that I don't like children. I have friends with children and they're charming. You can't stop playing with them. But the truth is I'm a bit scared of them. I'm simply not interested." In March Grant split from girlfriend Jemima Khan after rumors circulated that Khan wanted children.

Childfreebychoice.com has a jam-packed list of notable names (though it does tend to be heavy on antiques -- Jane Austen, Amelia Earhart, Florence Nightingale, Dorothy Parker and, umm, Helen Keller) and -- by choice or not -- we can confirm that the following stars are indeed kid- free -- for the moment:

Sandra Bullock (though she is stepmom to husband Jesse James's three kids), Kim Catrall, Kristin Davis, Margaret Cho, Patricia Clarkson, Simon Cowell, Bo Derek, Portia De Rossi, Ralph Fiennes, Janeane Garafalo, Jeff Goldblum (whew), Julie Kavner (though she's played TV mom to Bart, Lisa and Maggie Simpson for 19 years now), Laura Linney, Bill Maher, Steve Martin, Mike Myers, Parker Posey, Winona Ryder, Patrick Swayze, Wanda Sykes and Quentin Tarantino.

Parker, left, with mole and, right, without. (Reuters)

One more SJP question: I recently heard that she'd had plastic surgery to get her mole removed. Is this true? And does this mean that she's more like other Hollywood stars than we think, since going under the knife to achieve beauty is a trait of theirs? -- from last week's Celebritology Live discussion

While a source close to Sarah Jessica did confirm last week that her trademark mole was surgically removed, we don't know whether it was because she was sick of looking at it in the mirror or because it posed a health risk. But until we have proof positive of the former, I'm going to refrain from lumping in Parker -- who had a minor outpatient procedure done -- with the likes of this or this.

Comment of the Week:
In a related story, John Hodgman was spotted with the Snapple Lady." -- Mac comments on "Justin Long spotted with Kirsten Dunst"

By Liz Kelly  | July 21, 2008; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Angie and the Twins Leave Hospital
Next: Morning Mix: Report: Christian Bale Accused of Assaulting Mom, Sister

Comments

That second example of Cosmetic Surgery faux pas looks like whoever got passed over for Heath Ledger as the joker.

Posted by: Dark Night? | July 21, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

BRB-- Goin' out to celebrate Rachel Ray's decision not to reproduce.

Posted by: b | July 21, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, am glad that celebrities are talking openly about their choice to not have children. Too bad other celebrities didn't consider this as a option (talking to you Britney). I am child free by choice (thanks Liz for changing it to child-free, I never liked the term childess, it makes it sound like something is missing), I also belong to a local child-free group.

BTW, you could warn a girl about clicking on the PP and MJ links. Yeeesh.

Posted by: jake e. poo | July 21, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Attack of the MMs in 5...4...3...2...1...

Posted by: This can't possibly end well | July 21, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Oprah did have a kid when she was 14, but it died as a baby. I wonder how much that has to do with her decision not to have kids as an adult.

Posted by: julia | July 21, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Ha ha ha! Loins.

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 21, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

On topic - IMHO, it's fine for some people to want kids and some other people NOT to want kids. (gasp! people can make their own choices) While some people really shouldn't breed (Ryder!), it's a shame that some others don't - lookin at you Garafalo, Martin, Posey, Swayze! The gene pool wuold be better served to keep these guys in it.

Posted by: sunnydaze | July 21, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Rachel Ray's commitment to not have children does not foreclose the possibility that one day her mouth will completely unhinge and a second, fully-formed Rachel Ray clone will emerge from her gaping maw.

Posted by: M Street | July 21, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

whatever did we talk about before we became obsessed with other WaPO blogs? That's right! celebrities. Maybe we could return to the good old days when this was a friendly and welcoming place.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Jane Austen counts as child-free by choice? Um, I don't think they did single motherhood back in those days. Now, husband-free by choice, *that* we could probably say.

Posted by: krasni | July 21, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Portia De Rossi kid-free. Imagine that.

Posted by: whatever will they think of next | July 21, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

For all his airplane bathroom hijinks, I read once that Ralph Fiennes is devoted to his nieces and nephews...I think he has quite a few. I know from experience it's nice to have a few childless aunties and uncles around to spoil you.

Posted by: possum | July 21, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

how about a category of celebrities who should have remained child free but did not? suggestions?
1. joan crawford

Posted by: janet ponders the flip side | July 21, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"I also belong to a local child-free group."

I don't understand these groups. Are they to celebrate being childless or are they just a way to meet other people who don't want kids.

I also don't understand why people are so concerned with who does and does not have children.

Posted by: Help me out here | July 21, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

And let's not forget Lizzie Borden and the Menendez brothers, who are parent-free by choice.

Posted by: byoolin | July 21, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"The MMs are talking about childcare today and that will lead to stay at home versus working moms and that will lead to mayhem over there. Hopefully that will keep them busy enough to stay away from here."

Why do you have to be mean? Some of the MMs were posting here long before OB went down with the ship. Does it bother you that they have kids? what? What is the problem?

Posted by: enough already | July 21, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Take Kristin Davis off the list. She has a teenage daughter.

Posted by: DC Fem | July 21, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Helen Mirren rules!

Posted by: Another kid-free by choice | July 21, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

CFers are way meaner than any MM could ever dream of being. They also foam at the mouth a bit more.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"And let's not forget Lizzie Borden and the Menendez brothers, who are parent-free by choice"

Irishgirl says ouch as her cherry coke goes down her throat the wrong way.

Posted by: Irishgirl | July 21, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

For the record, Lizzie Borden was found not guilty of her parents' murders.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 21, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

****
janet seconds irish girl.

Posted by: thanks, byoolin, janet has orange juice coming out of her nose | July 21, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

They also foam at the mouth a bit more.
****
stems from too much beer drinking at the tiki bar.

Posted by: janet says blech | July 21, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Jane Austen was neither child- nor husband-free by choice. She would very much have liked to have a family, but the one proposal she received (which she accepted at first) was from someone she didn't love. There was an early love affair, (And by "love affair" I mean it the way Jane Austen would have-lots of dancing and long looks and poetry, but little if any physical contact) but since neither of them had any money, they were separated before anything like a marriage proposal could come to pass.

Posted by: tl | July 21, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Patrick Swayze had been (as I remember from my fond days of loving anything related to Dirty Dancing) very forthcoming about he and his wife's inabilities to conceive. I believe that she in fact had a few miscarriages. So I'm not sure that he actually belongs on the list. But good for them for devoting their time and energy to all the fabulous causes that they sponsor and support.

Posted by: 22304 | July 21, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Jay Leno is kid free by choice.

Posted by: Sleeper | July 21, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I am from OP and you may call me by my initials, MM.

Can I come and play here a while?

Posted by: From over on the less well lighted side! | July 21, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I wanna go to St. Tropez so I can step on celebrity babies.

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, it never occurred to me that Tarantino hasn't bred. I think that's a really good thing too.

One of him is enough mouth & head for the whole.

Posted by: Bored @ work | July 21, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

For the record, Lizzie Borden was found not guilty of her parents' murders. - Posted by: Nosy Parker

*****

True enough, and if the poem had begun "Lizzie Borden took an axe/and ten months later beat the rap," I'd have left her out of it.

Posted by: when byoolin saw what he had done, he bleached all he'd got his DNA on. | July 21, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Bo Derek may be childfree by choice. She may also have missed the window. She married John Derek when she was 16. He was 30 years her senior. She stayed married to him until his death in the late 90s. Who's to say whether she wanted kids and he didn't, or they agreed? Either way, the fact that one is childfree doesn't always mean that is it by choice.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, guilt-by-poetization is hardly fair.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 21, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Jacqueline Bissett, Kathy Bates, Lewis Black, Lara Flynn Boyle, Delta Burke, Brett Butler . . .

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking David Letterman probably wanted to be child free as well...but... you know...

Wanda Sykes really does have the best line on child rearing.

"Do you ever notice that parents tell you 'raising a child is hard work, but it's worth it" and they never look you in the eye on that last part?"

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 21, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Another childfree by choice here, and one of those who loves to spoil the nieces.

Kudos to the celebs who not only have said they are childfree by choice, but who don't sound defensive or like they're justifying their choice (choice -- yeah sunnydaze!). After all, celebs who DO choose to have kids aren't generally asked why they made that choice.

Posted by: Californian | July 21, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Lizzie Borden was found not guilty of her parents' murders
****
as was oj of his crime, but.......

Posted by: janet says not guilty doesn't mean ol' lizzie didn't swing that axe a few times | July 21, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

oh, and it was lizzie's stepmother, not her mother. her mother had died and her dad had remarried a skank

Posted by: janet knows some lizzie history | July 21, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: M Street | July 21, 2008 11:26 AM

M Street - Thanks for raining on my parade!

Posted by: b | July 21, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Janet. Hugs to Frankie.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 21, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I thought I read somewhere that Portia and Ellen were planning on having children, but hadn't decided on who would carry the baby.

Posted by: ckf | July 21, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: M Street | July 21, 2008 11:26 AM
------------------------
Since the thought of another Rachel Ray has long been one of my irrational fears, I see a new recurring nightmare in my future. However, gaping maw should for ever be a synonym for Rachel Ray and vice versa.

Posted by: jes | July 21, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Liz:

I think you've just minted St. Tropez's new tourism slogan:

"St. Tropez, where the streets are paved with celebrity babies!"

Posted by: Henri | July 21, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Jennifer Aniston

Posted by: CJB | July 21, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I think I saw an interview where Helen Mirren talked about how she never could have accomplished all she did if she'd had kids. They would have held her back, gobbled up all her time, etc. Come to think of it, I belive it was quoted on OP, or OB. The MMs had a field day with that one. Anyone else remember this? It was Helen Mirren, right?

Posted by: WDC | July 21, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Clearly someone took an ax/
and gave the Bordens a bunch of whacks./
Legally, though we dunno who did it/
Since Lizzie Borden was acquitted.

Posted by: byoolin corrects the historical record by poetization. | July 21, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Helen Mirren has apparently defied gravity by remaining child free.

Posted by: byoolin wonders if Newton missed an equation. | July 21, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cecilia | July 21, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: b | July 21, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Take Kristin Davis off the list. She has a teenage daughter.

Posted by: DC Fem | July 21, 2008 11:51 AM

Not according to IMDB
Take Kristin Davis off the list. She has a teenage daughter.

Posted by: DC Fem | July 21, 2008 11:51 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

A young lady brings her fiance to dinner with grandmother for the first time. The young man is nervous, for Grandmother is an imperious lady in the Queen Victoria mold and she grills him for some time. The interview does not go well.

After many uncomfortable minutes of questioning, she softens her glare a little and asks him, "Do you desire children?"

The young man, not expecting the question, flustered, looks at his shoes, his fiancee, and his shoes again before looking up and stammering, "Y-y-y-yes, I think so."

"Well," says Grandmother, "Try to keep it to yourself."

Posted by: byoolin seems to recall seeing this in Reader's Digest a hundred years ago. | July 21, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"I just don't understand why anyone would not want children! Not being able to have them is another thing.

Just today, I bought a new picture frame for my favorite picture of little precious. The frame says "My Greatest Achievement.""

Cecilia, we're happy that you're happy, but carm down! You don't have to understand, just accept it-some very nice rational people (like my oldest friend) just don't want kids. Maybe you should head back to OP where you'd be more comfortable.

Posted by: tl | July 21, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow, b, it's pretty tame on the OP today. Why, it's borderline civilized and almost entirely on topic.

Posted by: atb | July 21, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

tl, I suspect that post is bait. If it's not, it's kind of sad.

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------
Yes, it is just way to meet other people that have chosen not to have children. At my age I am the only child-free one among my friends so getting together to do things with them was always a hassle with scheduling and always at risk of being canceled at the last minute. And no, we do not sit around extolling the virtues of a child-free lifestyle. Only a moron would think that.

Posted by: jake e. poo | July 21, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh Cecilia, I won't take your bait for a fight. No no.

Posted by: RVA | July 21, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks hermespal! I can't believe I fell for it! I still think she needs to carm down, tho!

Posted by: tl | July 21, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh Most Gracious Liz, in case you missed my late posted heartfelt and humble missive from Friday, here it is again:

Oh Most Gracious Majesty Liz,

I humble beseech your assistance. If I send you my resume and hrgirl and Em send you their email addresses, would you be so kind as to pass my resume on to them?

Your most humble Lizard
EP

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I've been reading this blog well over a year now, I'm sure, so I don't really think of myself as a newbie even tho' I may have posted only three or four times. I know how to Google names that mean nothing to me. I already lose hours of time when one link to the Daily Mail begets another. And suddenly I am having trouble keeping up with the acronyms!

I take it MM is not Marshall Mathers? And OP didn't go on to direct Cocoon and Willow? OB isn't a place you have to go once a year if you want those pills that let you stay child free? I revel in the Celibritologisms (?) that are being posted weekly. Might someone take on detailing the over abundance of acronyms from time to time? Not with EVERY usage, because then we'd sound like Rachel Ray who has to explain EVOO every single time she uses the short cut so it really isn't.

Posted by: delurker21113 | July 21, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Childfree celebs - I heard a rumor that Aniston might be preggers. Is that true?
(not that I actually care).

I don't know why it would be a different discussion with celebs vs. non-celebs. I think celebs are just as likely as anyone else to make rational choices not to have children (Mirren) or bad choices to have them (Spears).

Posted by: Emily | July 21, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I was just giving my opinion. Please notice that I did not condemn anyone for not having (or not trying to have) children. I just don't understand it.

And yes, my little precious is my greatest achievement. Little precious will be around long after the last soccer game has been played, that new BMW is wrecked and rusted and all the Montessori schools fade from style.

Posted by: Cecilia | July 21, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Child-free and childless are two very different things. Child-free is to make a conscious decision to not have children, but childless can either mean you want to have children but haven't yet or unable to have children. At least that what I understood them to mean when the term child-free came on the scene a few years back.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Margaret Cho
Comedian
"I do not want children. When I see children, I feel nothing. I have no maternal instinct. I am barren. I ovulate sand...I look at children and feel no pull toward them, no desire whatsoever. Actually, my fiance‚ and I have seen some very interesting personal ads of 50-year-olds that like to wear diapers. So we're thinking of adopting one of these guys. A baby by choice."

Posted by: luvmargaret | July 21, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Shall we nominate byoolin for Poet Laureate of Lizard Island, in view of his 12:59 PM quatrain?

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 21, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

If Oprah decided to have a child, then I think it is possible that Rachel Ray would have one, too.

Oprah gains weight. Rachel Ray also gains weight. Oprah loses weight. Only then, does RR follow suit.

I don't know. Maybe I'm all wrong. It just seems that RR is very much attuned to Oprah.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

1. joan crawford

Posted by: janet ponders the flip side | July 21, 2008 11:46 AM

2. Rosie O'Donnell

Posted by: ripariandweller | July 21, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Cecilia- Are you saying my kids will disappear once I no longer have to pay for child care? Huh. The pediatrician never told me that. Who knew?

Posted by: atb | July 21, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

*grits teeth* I will not even NIBBLE on bait, I will not, I will not...

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Marlon Brando?

Posted by: Angela | July 21, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately Andy Dick is not child-free. He has three children.

Posted by: Cleveland Brown | July 21, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Leslie Morgan Steiner
Bing Crosby
Courtney Love
Michael Jackson
Bette Davis
Kate Moss
Tony Curtis

Posted by: List is too long for this space | July 21, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WDC | July 21, 2008 12:54 PM

===
It could have been Katherine Hepburn too. In "Me" she writes, " Children? Of course not. 'I would have been a terrible mother. I'm basically too selfish.'"

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 21, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

in response to 1:41pm (unnamed)

I think Rachael Ray is Oprah's offspring. She was probably created in a jar in the back of Harpo Studios. They're forever connected and will always be following the other's lead. Because Ray was created in a jar in the back of the studio, her skin didn't maintain the same pigment and Oprah was uncomfortable introducing her white daughter to the world and pawned her off as someone else's just to reel her back in thru daytime television. Hmmm, I should have been a conspiracy theorist.

Posted by: flutterbyjen | July 21, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Cecilia is probably real, not bait. As atb and Emily can attest, she regularly posts on OP in this same vein and with the "my precious" title for the child. To each his/her own, yes?

***********

Posted by: enough already | July 21, 2008 11:48 AM
*************
It does not bother me that people have kids. I have a kid. It is just a plain fact that the OP blog (and the former OB blog) degernates into mayhem on a regular basis. This blog degenerates occasionally, but the people who post regularly do not regularly attack each other. That's all.

Posted by: sunnydaze | July 21, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I know it's obvious (and perhaps someone already mentioned above), but Britney for sure. Nicole Ritchie I guess the jury's out on, but she doesn't strike me as ideal motherhood material. Kate Hudson?

We don't hear much about bad fathers--usually because the mothers have custody and the guys ignore their progeny. Wonder if Charlie Sheen is a decent dad--if he tried to stop Denise featuring the kids on her show for them rather than just to "get" at her, I'll cut him some slack. Alec Baldwin isn't winning any parenting awards. Anyone else?

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Cecelia, that's nice dearie but reproduction is simple biology. Not an achievement.

Posted by: Rolling eyes at egomania | July 21, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

jake e. poo, I don't belong to a group, but my IRL friends have assembled in part because of shared childfree status. We include a few of folks with one kid, so we're not entirely biased. But it can be difficult to relate to others whose lives seem to rotate around the kids. The friends with kids seem to be able to maintain a grownup life and conversational style. And their kids seem more cool for it.

On the childless celeb men, never rule out a late in life conversion when he marries a woman 20 or 30 years his junior. Ref: Tony Randall, Woody Allen (didn't he reproduce with his stepchildwife?)

Posted by: epony | July 21, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"Tony Curtis? Are you kidding, when Celebritologists find Jamie Lee almost unsnarkable?"

Tony Curtis did drugs with Jamie Lee - a big no-no.

Posted by: Skanky dads | July 21, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

jake e. poo,

I just ask a question. No need to imply that I am a moron. Next time I won't bother to reply to your post since you can't handle it.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

If Rachel Ray is Oprah's offspring, the loss of pigmentation may be secondary to prolonged use of Xanax and Ritalin. If you watch earlier episodes of Rachel Ray on Food Network, she tittered every 5 minutes and uttered "EVOO!", "Yum-O!", or "Sammiches!" Drinking games based on her tittering or utterances resulted in record inebriation times according to Johns Hopkins studies.

Posted by: betterlivingthroughchemicals | July 21, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I personally don't care whether someone decides to have children or not -- provided they actually thought about the decsion.

But, I don't want to hear you bragging either way. Like what you did is the most wonderful decision ever made and you were the only to ever make it.

Don't want kids -- don't brag about how you studied up on it and agonized for months before coming to the conclusion. And definitely don't tell me you did it to save the environment or some smilar reason. Kids are the reason we have a future and do things to protect said future.

Want or have kids -- don't brag about you would be fulfilled it you didn't have kids. Or how they are so validating to your existence. Hey, kids exists separate from you. Treat them accordingly.

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

epony your type of post is what causes hard feelings and nasty replies.

Most parents have a life outside of their kids and some people without kids are married to and breed with their job.

Posted by: hater | July 21, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"i was just over at OP, and i'm baffled as to how anyone who posts there even has children. the posts are all so mean i would have guessed they eat their young."

Ummm, excuse me. Were you MMs going to finish eating those kids?

Posted by: Jeffrey Dahmer | July 21, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

There is definitely a small counter-trend to Hollywood's "bumpwatch" (pregnant celebs), and I'm glad you are paying them their due respect.

I am writing a book called "Kidfree & Lovin' It" which dedicates a chapter to listing Childfree Celebs and famous people from past to present.

Three people you did not mention who have recently spoke out about not wanting children are: tennis star Serena Williams, singer Mariah Carey, and - just last month - Renee Zellwegger (in an interview with London's "The Times.")

Almost 20% of all Americans are choosing not to procreate these days. I have an online survey for Adults Without Children that over 2,100 people around the world have taken. Here is the link for those wanting to contribute their thoughts:

Kidfree Kaye
www.kidfreeandlovinit.com

Posted by: Kidfree Kaye | July 21, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 1:57 PM

=====
Bad dads? Here's a list:

Robert Downey Sr.

Joe Jackson

James Brown

Jon Voigt

Bill Hudson

Reverend Marvin Pentz Gay, Sr.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 21, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

ep, take a deep breath and relax. You came here for an entertaining distraction from your bar exam studies, remember? Don't take the bait.

Posted by: new england | July 21, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 21, 2008 1:36 PM
==========================================

Yes, let's.

Chief?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 21, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Actually I heard a rumor that Mariah Carey wants babies with her new hubby.

Posted by: Irishgirl | July 21, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

ep, that's the best thing I've heard all day. I'm impressed that most of the celebs quoted above seem to treat the issue with sensitivity. It's such a personal choice. Great post, Liz.
(Bonus- I got to imagine Clooney saying "loins"! Ha ha ha! That will amuse me for the rest of the day.)

Posted by: Bawlmer can't come into work today, she has a loinache. | July 21, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Another childfree: Ann-Margret

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

forgot one....tom cruise

Leslie Morgan Steiner
Bing Crosby
Courtney Love
Michael Jackson
Bette Davis
Kate Moss
Tony Curtis

Posted by: List is too long for this space | July 21, 2008 1:50 PM

Posted by: bm | July 21, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I'm rather glad that Tony Curtis had Jamie Lee. I think Jamie Lee is too. He may not have been a perfect father, but he's far from horrible.

However, I really think the children Joan Crawford adopted really wished they had stayed at the orphanage.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 21, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Someone may have already responded to delurker's query re the acronyms, so sorry if this is a repeat.

OP=the On Parenting blog
OB=the (now defunct) On Balance blog
MM=Mean Mommies (who post on the OP)

Posted by: alex | July 21, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Kidfree Kaye

I find it odd that people who are really happy center their wonderful world around not having something.

I went to your site and find your terms really rude. Happy people are not rude. I bet your mother is very proud that you use the term breeder and actually believe that women's brain shrink during pregnancy.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

epony your type of post is what causes hard feelings and nasty replies.

Posted by: hater | July 21, 2008 2:08 PM

Not sure what in my post ticked you off, hater, but hey, have at it. I'm glad you and your friends with children have a life outside of your kids. Lots of parents don't seem to. Where's the harm in saying I can't relate? For that matter, I also don't post celebritology bits - or anything, for that matter - on the OP blog.

Posted by: epony | July 21, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I will take Cecilia's bait as I am in the mood for a fight. Its a grouchy Monday.
Cecilia, monkeys, dogs, cats, and all other mammals are perfectly capable of popping babies out. Not to mention 15 year olds having their second and third babies.
It that is your proudest accomplishment you must be one sorry individual.
If your child ends up an intelligent, happy, self sustaining adult --- then you can be proud. But, for just popping one out --- whooppeee!

Posted by: no babies | July 21, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Hugs to Frankie
***
thanks, nosy. the hugs have been passed on and rec'd happily by frankie aka smarty pants.

Posted by: frankie loves big hugs and thanks nosy parker for sending some her way | July 21, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

delurker21113,

There is an unabashed dictionary that Curmudgeon, who seems to be absent, posts on Fridays. It's got everything in there from cromulent to DaneCook. After going through that you should be all caught up. Hope that helps.

hermespal,
Stay strong, you can do it!

Posted by: petal | July 21, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Today's topic is obviously a set-up for a Lizard versus Mean Mommies WWE Cage Match.

Now if some o' dem MMs are *ILFs, then a wrestling match might be fun.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Chief?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 21, 2008 2:09 PM

*************************************

Sorry, I've actually had to be busy today and write up a monthly report. Um, so, ok, here goes:

I, Gaius Dorkus Maximus, Celebritology Island Chieftan, do hereby proclaim byoolin to be the official Island Poet Laureate (unless someone is able to create a poem based on magical fruit and/or dingleberries).

Ramen.

Posted by: Chief Dorkus | July 21, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks petal. A couple of posters have expressed some of what I would have said if I gave in, so the urge has pretty much passed. ;-)

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Anytime hermespal.

It seems Mudge has posted today. Don't know how I missed that. This calls for a trip to the island and a seat at the bar. Or is it too early for that?

Posted by: petal | July 21, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Reverend Marvin Pentz Gay, Sr.

OMG, i almost fell off the chair. yes, indeed, he was one really, really bad father. yegods.
another: rod stewart
another: george hamilton

Posted by: janet still mourns marvin gay, jr. | July 21, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

When people ask why me & the hubby don't have kids, I just say it's because we don't have sex!

Shuts 'em right up.

Posted by: Bored @ work | July 21, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it's ever too early to open the Lizard Island bar!

I imagine it as just like this cool Palapa bar in Cabo we go to that has the greatest hand crafted margeritas and bloody marys we've ever had...okay, now I want a bloody mary. And a plane ticket.

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

How many celebrities eat the placenta?

Posted by: Jeffrey Dahmer | July 21, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

oops
marvin gaye, jr. gaye, gaye, gaye
yes, it's time for the cuervo gold margaritas w/a grand marnier float. and in rachel ray's inimitable word(s) YUM.
and to bored@work: stunning comeback.

Posted by: janet had a brain fa#t | July 21, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

We are family....I got all my snarkers and me....We are family....

Posted by: b | July 21, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

There was a jeopardy question/answer once that had to do with Marvin adding the "e" to his name, so you're right both times.

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I heart rowe | July 21, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: janet knows some lizzie history | July 21, 2008 12:33 PM

A skank or a skanque?

So, yeah. Can we return to the conversation about the grizzly Borden murders? 'Cause the parenting throw-down is *scary*.

Posted by: musicgeek | July 21, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"He should definitely procreate. Imagine that cute lil babe with big blue eyes, a broad furry chest, and an unexplained appreciation for poo of all shapes and kinds.
Posted by: I heart rowe | July 21, 2008 2:51 PM"

I think we had a Labrador puppy like that when I was a young 'un.

Posted by: As Bawlmer recalls, Merde was his name. | July 21, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"But, for just popping one out --- whooppeee"

Not all of us will be a Dr. DeBakey and leave the legacy of a million mended hearts. Only a relatively few such as he will be honored and remembered in history.

If I take pride in my little precious, it is just that. I want my child to know that hubby and I love and cherish every day of little precious' life.

Posted by: Cecilia | July 21, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Who want to start on pool on when little precious runs away from home in order to escape the pressure?

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I've got kids. I privately think it's about the coolest thing ever.
I promise not to make too big a deal about it and let you borrow them to pet sit for you and not cancel plans for drinks even though I'm beat if you promise to start talking about famous people again and how they're just like us, only richer, and hey aren't her shoes cute!

Posted by: Mommy | July 21, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

why r u all bein mean 2 ceclia she luvs her litle girl and sounds lik the best mom evr! stop hatin.

Posted by: luvceclia | July 21, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"A skank or a skanque?"
Sounds French to me. Could it be "le skanque"?

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 21, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the Chief!

Here's the latest LI Fearless Leader list AND Article 1 of Confederation (that the only one we have so far - just Article 1):

ASSEMBLY OF LIZARDS

Celebritology Articles of Confederation

The CABAL of Lizard Island's Fearless Leaders is as follows:

Lizard Island Tribal Chieftain Gaius Dorkus Maximus
Lizard Island Attorney General ep
Lizard Island Boat's Water Emptier Bai Ling
Lizard Island Chief Adviser for Island Activities Curmudgeon
Lizard Island Chief of Meat Inspection petal (who will ensure that Lizard Island welcomes only prime beef)
Lizard Island Chief Minimus Equi Herder epony (who is also in charge of the stable boys)
Lizard Island Chief Priest (Pastafarian) RiverCityRoller (who is especially good at the Ramen Ritual)
Lizard Island Chief of Security Bawlmer (who, in deep despair, realizes that the uniforms are navy, silver, and white with a large star on the hat)
Lizard Island Chief of Violent Applause LTL (who will be demanding a new monitor every day)
Lizard Island Dog Walker janet (who will supervise the antics of and snacking for Frankie, the dingleberry dog)
Lizard Island Direcktor of Signs and Misinformation B'more cat (who will confound the interlopers)
Lizard Island Doppelganger Detecktor jake e.poo (who is in charge of weeding out those trolls who would impersonate us or our friends and guests)
Lizard Island Film Office Casting Director Nosy Parker (who will put the office's couch to good use)
Lizard Island Intra-island Bike Messenger Lizuarte Martins
Lizard Island Minister of Keeping Track of Emmy Nomination Refusals musicgeek (name withdrawn from consideration)
Lizard Island Mixed-drink Servers Daniel Craig and the Spanish soccer team
Lizard Island Official Torch-holding Speedo-wearer Beckham (who is the Island's only CABAL-sanctioned Speedo wearer)
Lizard Island Party Chairperson Gaia Groovis Maximus
Lizard Island Poet Laureate Byoolin, by virtue of his cheeky little rhyme:Clearly someone took an ax/and gave the Bordens a bunch of whacks./Legally, though we dunno who did it/Since Lizzie Borden was acquitted.
Lizard Island Pouch Inspecktor possum (who will guard against unauthorized embiggening)
Lizard Island Renewable Energy Source Paris and her Manhattan Project dumb belles
Lizard Island Secretary of Defense Sasquatch (mostly due to his body odor; requires a Patriot battery to take down those pesky pap helios)
Lizard Island Secretary of State Byoolin (who has a knack for carming tempers and bringing Lizards together)
Lizard Island Tea Servers Hugh Jackman and Colin Firth (who will serve everyone tea and say things in their great accents)
Lizard Island Tiki Bar Tender methinks (who is the maker of the perfect mojito)

Article 1: The Chris Martin Amendment
Celebritology (herein after known as "the Lizards") recognizes celebrities' right to name their children according to their own wishes, but the Lizards reserve the right to mock whatever name celebrities so choose, whether it is a damnfool name such as Pilot Inspektor or a conservative name such as James. The Lizards apologize in advance for the opinions expressed by trolls visiting from "mommy-blogs" and expressly disavow any endorsement of their claims that they and only they know a damn thing about celebrities, their lives, their children, or anything connected in any way with Reality.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

All I can picture when I hear the words "my precious" is Gollum in LOTR. A character whose life is dominated by one all-consuming interest. Hum, coincidence?

Posted by: RVA | July 21, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey, don't I get a title?!

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Aren't parents supposed to love and cherish every second wth your kids? If not, you really shouldn't have had kids. If you did, well, you just hit the minimum bar then for being a good parent. Not really something to be bragging on.

Kinda like "Hey, I didn't break the law today. Let me go print out a certificate on my wall commemorating the event."

Yeah, I'm cranky. The bar needs to get here and get over with.

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"I've got kids. I privately think it's about the coolest thing ever.
Posted by: Mommy | July 21, 2008 3:02 PM"

Deal! Is there a public notary around here? And a neutral party to witness the treaty?

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 21, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

epony, I think you misunderstand, I didn't join the group because my childed friends were not stimulating enough for me, I did it so that I would have another separate group to do things with, sometimes doing things by myself gets old. Actually my childed friends are great, smart and funny, they are the ones I can be my true self. In fact they're also the worse influence on me, when we're together...always too much wine.

Posted by: jake e. poo | July 21, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"What is reality?"

--"Don't Crush That Dwarf. Hand Me the Pliers" Firesign Theatre

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Can't we all just get along?

Posted by: PGM | July 21, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PLS | July 21, 2008 2:54 PM

"can we talk about something more interesting?"

Angelina recently popped 2 of 'em out. do you think Brad changes diapers, or does he outsource his responsibility?"

Probably this is what he is thinking- WTF happened? I get with a beautiful woman, next thing I know she is adopting all kinds of kids like puppies and then she squirts out some of mine.Now I have this brood, half of which aren't even mine. I am one of the sexiest men alive and this is how I spend my days. What have I done? Please someone putme out of my misery

Posted by: Brad Pitt-RIP | July 21, 2008 3:00 PM

Posted by: This is funny | July 21, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Hermespal, what title do you want? Make a title for yourself and tell us what it is. You're entitled.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I have kids. I had always wanted kids. Now I have grandkids. I have always wanted grandkids.

Lucky, lucky me. I am fortunate and very happy.

My kids have all grownup to be good people who are lots of fun and are clever to boot.

The grandkids could all growup to be gas station robbers for all I care. As far as I'm concerned they'll be the best, cutest, smartest, funniest gas station robbers in the business (that's the difference between a parent and a grandparent).

Now, I have finally realized that being a parent is the biggest con game going. A parent is given a child to love, teach, cuddle, discipline, kiss-on, etc only long enough for the kid to become an independent person. Then they're off to their own lives. Joke's on you, mom and dad - you have to give up the kid once you're done.

But that's what makes a successful parent: that is, one who can raise and love a kid well enough to let them lead their own life one day.

Posted by: Curmudgeon thinks the joke was on her | July 21, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

As I recall, the story was that Lizzie Borden's stepmother served a rancid stew for dinner. It was a hot and muggy day, tempers were running high, and Lizzie just lost it.

Posted by: new england | July 21, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

ep: sending you warm thoughts (like we do every Friday to Swayze). You will get through the bar exam, and life will go on. Hang in there!

Posted by: new england | July 21, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh hell, Squatch. Right after I posted that I was thinking I'd have to come up with one whereas the others have sort of evolved via the postings...I'm already the High Priestess of Portus Maximus (which convenes every christmas eve at about 10:30pm, with about eight of us from two families, some fine cigars and a couple of bottles of port--although I eschew the cigars), which I could certainly bring to the island for more regular gatherings? Or does it have to be a title original to Lizard Island?

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

ROFL, bored@work.

Liz, this was a ginormous can o' worms. Can you close it now? Thanks. :o)

Posted by: Californian | July 21, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Aw, hell, 'mudge. Now you've got me all choked up.

Posted by: Bawlmer has something in her eye. | July 21, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Brad, you knew what you were getting into. I was nuttier than squirrel poop when we met, had at least a coupla kids then, and wanted a father. The fact that you're good in bed was just icing on my Mia Farrow-esque cake. Just don't pull a Woody Allen and take nudie photos of, then shack up with, any of my kids, please.

Posted by: Angelina Jolie | July 21, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: possum | July 21, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

jake e. poo got why your post seemed offensive why can't you?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Possum, have you been talking to Ethan Hawke and Jude Law again?

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

If you did, well, you just hit the minimum bar then for being a good parent.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

More than a few parents don't hit that bar. Just ask CPS.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Aw, hell, 'mudge. Now you've got me all choked up.

Posted by: Bawlmer has something in her eye. | July 21, 2008 3:33 PM

********************

Its probably a shard of glass. You should have that looked at.

And yes, Lizzie totally did it.

Posted by: jelo | July 21, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

YES! THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING my BEst Friend JEN!!! She isn't childlees, just has dogs. I have kitticats a nd no kids, but that's because theyre ALWYAS RINGING MY DOORBELL AND RUNNING AWAY!!! IT DRIVEs me NUTS. That's why I have a picture of JEN on my door to keep me from getting all vileont. SHE IS FULL OF LOVE> IT RADIATES OUT OF HER BEITUIFUL EYES!!
LUV YA JEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: luvjen | July 21, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Possum asks:
"OK, I haven't read all the comments yet, so probably I am the 500th person to say this, but if you don't have kids, how are you going to boff the nanny?"

--------------------------------------

Possum, as our Celebritology Poet Laureate might write, that is one bas*ard of a good question.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Can we return to the conversation about the grizzly Borden murders?
***
absolutely. one of my most favorite cases to read about. repression, hate, jealously, money, greed. it had it all. and all covered up w/a victorian facade.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Gang, it's hot as hell on the Eastern Seaboard. So I'm gonna clean up, put on my seesucker and a plantation straw hat, and head to the Empress Tea Room for a couple of cold ones.

Hermespal, are you a lawyer? While a number of Lizards are lawyers, it seems that Lizard Island has no General Counsel/Attorney General. If you are a lawyer, would you be up to the job? I suspect that the MMs will soon be litigating.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Uh-hemm Sasquatch.

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"She isn't childlees, just has dogs."

I truly hate it when people equate having pets with having children. I have 2 dogs, no kids. Have always wanted dogs, have never wanted kids so to me they are not the same. The only thing they have in common, is that they both costs a lot of money. Do you know how much a bag of Purina One costs?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Sorry squatch, I'm a screenwriter. And I think ep's going to fill the General Counsel post.

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Sasquatch,
I'll volunteer as diplomatic liaison to the OP blog.

Posted by: Emily | July 21, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Hermespal, you are director of our Film Commission. You know the person who gets film companies to come shoot movies on the island so we can keep the bar well stocked.

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Keep the bar well stocked with what--gorgeous celebs or alcohol? ;-)

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"Keep the bar well stocked with what--gorgeous celebs or alcohol? ;-)"

Posted by: Yes | July 21, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree with 3:59. I don't have children but have two dogs that are essentially my little "family", but I would never equate keeping my two dogs with raising actual human offspring. And I would never dream of dressing them in little dog outfits. Their coats are glorious enough on their own.

Shelties.

Posted by: jelo | July 21, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

One invite goes out to the fabulous Christian Bale who is apparently in the new Terminator movie (I'm sooooo there) and seems to have lost his accent. I'll also work on getting Gary Oldman.

Posted by: petal who currently has Abba songs stuck in her head | July 21, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I believe we established that the Island Bar would carry both.

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Hermespal, since I'm already casting director for the LI film office, I assume you'll be "liaising" with script writers, directors, caterers, and the like.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 21, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Excellent. I'll get right on that.

Posted by: hermespal will lure movies with glorious cast members | July 21, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Nosy! Didn't realize we already had a casting director. I don't have to have a film related job. Something suitable will come up, I'm sure.

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the entire populace of LI would value your wisdom and experience in the Film Office.

Must go now to test the air conditioner (dang, it's hot this afternoon!).

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 21, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

The only thing they have in common, is that they both costs a lot of money.
***
the other thing they have in common is they never leave :)

Posted by: frankie prefers iams | July 21, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh, the humidity!

Posted by: To Nosy Parker | July 21, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Sasquatch,
I'll volunteer as diplomatic liaison to the OP blog.

Posted by: Emily | July 21, 2008 4:02 PM

Emily, a diplomat, LOL???

Emily is free agent and far too intelligent to represent OP in any of its forms. She's also not mean, but then few of the OP denizens are.

Posted by: MN | July 21, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, do you have a virtual casting couch? Do you use it much?

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

MN - I guess I'm busted now. Being diplomatic is probably not my strongest quality.

In the alternative, I could volunteer to make spinach pie for all the trolls.

Posted by: Emily | July 21, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 3:09 PM
====
I have kids and believe me, there are moments I don't cherish: clogged up toilets, projectile vomiting, smart a$$ comments...to name just a few.

Clooney's pig never talks back..perhaps he oinks back, but Clooney can't understand him. Raising pigs and dogs is way different than raising kids.

Your dog isn't going to look up from the food bowl and say, "kibble again?"

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 21, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Emily, if you think you're up to the task, go for it.

BTW, a belated thank you for the link to the Wookie Celebrity Chef Kitchen. I am jealous. The Wookie Chef in the picture reminds me of Harry Tuque a local Quatchi who became a celebrity chef. Perhaps you've heard of him. Besids being a fabulous chef, he was swave and deboner. His unofficial title was George Clooney of Quatchi. Sadly, he met his demise was perfecting a wolverine flambe'. The wolverine turned on him, causing him to accidentally put one of his arms over the fire. It was a hair fire of epic proportion.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Emily, a diplomat, LOL???

Posted by: MN | July 21, 2008 4:27 PM

"She's also not mean, but then few of the OP denizens are."

Are you kidding??? "few of the OP denizens are..." mean????

Coming soon "The Best of OP" featuring the Queen Bees and the Wannabes-meow!!!

Posted by: Huh? | July 21, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Snarky writes:
"Clooney's pig never talks back...."

There's a Sarah Larson joke in here somewhere, but I'm not sure I want to go after it.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Which task, Sasquatch?
Dispenser of Spinach Pie, or diplomatic Liaison? Or maybe both?

Posted by: Emily | July 21, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Your dog isn't going to look up from the food bowl and say, "kibble again?"

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 21, 2008 4:32 PM

----------------------------------
They may not say it, but they have their ways of letting you know they're not happy.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Snarky writes:
Your dog isn't going to look up from the food bowl and say, "kibble again?"
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Unlike a cat.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Coming soon "The Best of OP" featuring the Queen Bees and the Wannabes-meow!!!

Posted by: Huh? | July 21, 2008 4:37 PM

Perhaps you would be the first recipient of Emily's Famous Spinach Pie

Posted by: Emily is getting tough | July 21, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

You guys look like you all had an interesting day. I hate when I have to work and I miss all the fun.

Nosy, if you think it's bad there try Austin, it's been hitting 100 for weeks now.

Posted by: Dorkus | July 21, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: m.a.t. | July 21, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Emily, either job, or both. Your choice. What might be your approach with those OP poseurs, Marital Aids Donna and Cecilia the Law Enforcement Handcuff Queen?

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"WDC - I think you asked the question about Helen Mirren - I read the same interview with her. "

The topic is also covered in Mirren's book...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

the other thing they have in common is they never leave :)

Posted by: frankie prefers iams | July 21, 2008 4:16 PM

===========================================

So true, janet, I have an escape artist, he can squeeze his fat little body (part basset) through the gate, but does he run away? No, he just goes to the front door and waits for me to let him in.

Posted by: jake e. poo is actually the nicer name I call my dog | July 21, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

About Ms Lizzie Borden:

The week of the killings, she was having such PMS . . .

Posted by: Curmudgeon has read in depth about Ms Borden (just in case) | July 21, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

The trouble with pups is that they never "grow up".

That's also their charm.

Posted by: Curmudgeon remembers her Bertha with love | July 21, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Emily,

Emily, You could do better with that General Counsel position than the average licensed attorney.

I do believe Huh? should be the first recipient of your fine spinach pie.

Anyone talking about Queen Bees and Wanna-bes is sadly forever mired in the 10th grade, LOL. Maybe a new high-iron entree will bring him or her into the 21st century!

Posted by: MN | July 21, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Words to live by:
Hacking up your parents is WRONG.
DON'T EMBIGGEN THE NANNY.
Snarky is as Snarky Does.

Posted by: possum | July 21, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

MN = MM

Posted by: Theory of OP relativity | July 21, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Snarky writes:
Your dog isn't going to look up from the food bowl and say, "kibble again?"
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Unlike a cat.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 4:39 PM

Can I get an "Amen"? Mine are now disdaining their kibble in favor of getting their 5 o'clock wet food at 2 pm. And if I resist, I get a cat sitting between me and the keyboard smacking me in the mouth with a paw. Holding out until TWO is becoming a struggle. And of course they're hungry again at 5. This is the sole down side to working from home--at least when I'm at an office all day they HAVE to eat their kibble.

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

She's also not mean, but then few of the OP denizens are.

Posted by: MN | July 21, 2008 4:27 PM

**********

I read the OP blog just about every day and very rarely does the day go by that the regular posters are not calling each other names and being really nasty to each other about things that should be choices. Perhaps it is only "a few," but it's certainly a vocal few. YOU, MN, in fact were on there today saying nasty things.
We do not do that here. We snark on celebs. We rag on luvlinsey, who, we all believe, is basically a construct meant to draw snark. We try to be friendly to each other. We may not always succeed, but at least we try.
As a matter of fact, at OP, they also call the Celebritology folks names and say nasty things. YOU, MN, in fact were on there today saying nasty things about Celebritology, yet here you are. I find that to be an interesting choice. You, MN, and any other OP poster are welcome here, but please leave the nasty at OP. Thanks.

Posted by: Anon for this | July 21, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

To possum at 4:58 -

you are so wise.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 21, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

AMEN.

Hermespal, has this ever happened to you?

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

BTW, about no kids -

Isn't our own, beloved Queen Liz a "no thanks" decider?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 21, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

saying nasty things about Celebritology, yet here you are.

Posted by: Interesting moral compass | July 21, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

MN -- The AG job is MINE. I asked for because the Lizard Island does not require Bar passage. Although passes at the bar are always appreciated. Make mine a Nathan Fillon.

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

YAY! A new Simon's cat! Thanks Squatch!

And yes, that is EXACTLY what happens to me daily with Zabu (who goes from the floor to the back of my desk chair to my shoulder to my desk, rubs against my face, blocks the keyboard and the monitor, pats and kneads whatever's in reach purring all the while and if I put him on the floor repeats the process immediately). Simon Towfield is a genius. But we've had to hide all the blunt instruments because he gave them ideas with Cat Man Do. ;-)

Posted by: hermespal LOVES Simon's Cat | July 21, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't embiggen the nanny?

Does that mean it's okay to have safe sex with the nanny?

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Sas, what happens on the island, stays on the island...

Posted by: Chief Dorkus | July 21, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Simon's Cat videos are a treat. The guy is obviously owned by a cat. I also like the "Let me in" video, particularly the part where the cat, after trying to break down the door to get in, pauses for an internal soliloquy about whether to come in when Simon opens the door.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Back to Rachel Ray.

Ok, granted she seems to be a very nice person and also very hard working but geez, how did she ever get an Emmy? Her show never rises above manic mediocrity.

Uh oh. Wait. Did Oprah buy that Emmy for Rachel Ray?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"Did Oprah buy that Emmy for Rachel Ray?"

Nah! Rachel got it at Dunkin' Donuts.

Ummmmmm, DO-nuts!

Posted by: Homer Simpson | July 21, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes indeed, that was hilarious. My cats haven't been indoor/outdoor since I was a kid, but I remember that little interlude well--especially when it was COLD outside.

Zabu is now full of food but is still insisting on lying on my desk (as is Tavi, but he's out of the way at least.) He's my wrist rest right now, but typing is still a pain.

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Can some one provide a nice proverb about wine from the Bible? (or other respectable source). Or make one up. I'm visiting the tee-totin' kin next week and need something to say back when they roll their eyes at me (as I order my 2nd glass.) Luckily I can stow about a liter in my pouch/wine bag attachment.

Posted by: possum | July 21, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Hermespal, do you ever wonder if NatGeo will ever air a feline counterpart to Caesar Milan? The obvious title to the show would The Cat Herder.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

No, he just goes to the front door and waits for me to let him in.
***
and you know why, because you are his manservant. just as i am that for our 7, count 'em, 7 dogs. they take over w/o a shot being fired or a word uttered and the next thing you know, you're cleaning the gacked up stuffing of a $10 toy at 3am, while the culprit has returned to snoreville

Posted by: janet knows her dogs run her life | July 21, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Dunkin Donuts...

Is it true you've got to be wearing a berka in order to get served?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance." -- Benjamin Franklin

"I have lived temperately....I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine each day and even treble it with a friend." -- Thomas Jefferson

"I think it is a great error to consider a heavy tax on wines as a tax on luxury. On the contrary, it is a tax on the health of our citizens." -- Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: musicgeek | July 21, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Some wine quotes:

Go fetch to me a pint o' wine,
An' fill it in a silver tassie.
Robert Burns (1759-1796)
Go Fetch to me a Pint o' Wine

And Noah he often said to his wife when he sat down to dine,
'I don't care where the water goes if it doesn't get into the wine'.
G.K. Chesterton(1874-1936)
Wine and Water

He said that few people had intellectual resources sufficient to forgo the pleasures of wine. They could not otherwise contrive how to fill the interval between dinner and supper.
Samuel Johnson
Boswell's Life of Johnson

If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?
Cardinal Richeleu

Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and be saved.
Medieval German saying

He who loves not wine, women and song remains a fool his whole life long.
Martin Luther, 1777

Up to the age of forty eating is beneficial. After forty, drinking.
The Talmud, 200BC

Wine that maketh glad the heart of man.
The Book of Psalms, 104:15

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

"What might be your approach with those OP poseurs, Marital Aids Donna and Cecilia the Law Enforcement Handcuff Queen?"

Well, I actually think they are great comic relief. And I am not completely convinced that they are not a Lizard who likes chaos. So my best advice is to laugh at them because that is the most sensible thing to do, ignore them if you can't, and engage them if you must (in other words, if you are completely bored and want to take the bait -- while understanding that this only stokes the fire).

Posted by: Emily | July 21, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

"Speaking of Dunkin Donuts...

Is it true you've got to be wearing a berka in order to get served?"

Around here we spell it burqa or burkha.

And nope, you can be anyone or anything and still get served at the Springfield Dunkin'.

You can even be a Mean Mommy and get served.

Posted by: Homer Simpson | July 21, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Possum, dear, Jesus' first miracle was changing water into wine. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: ep | July 21, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Dear Anonymous Person who put down my Kidfree website:

I am sorry you feel my website has "rude" terminology, but perhaps you didn't read all of the terms. Not all parents are called "breeders," only those who should not be parents or don't parent well. Note that the childfree have a term "PNB" (parent not breeder) for those who are good, conscientious parents.

And if you read the definition of "Breeder Brain" (which I did not coin myself, and I admit sounds derogatory), it was qualified by the statement that "some studies do show the brain shrinks during pregnancy," which is fact, not opinion.

The website is not for parents with children, so we don't expect you to understand it or welcome it anyway. (Why would you even visit it?) And, as far as your comment that we are "centering our world around not having something":
a) my life is very full with my husband, my career, and my time with my nieces and nephews. I do not need to have children to be fulfilled.
b) I happen to be writing a book for those who are childfree by choice OR by circumstance, and so, yes, I am very interested in the topic right now. Judging by this blog thread, it is still a controversial subject in society (much to the chagrin of people who just want to follow their own path.)
c) I'm pretty sure that I center my life around NOT having children much less than most parents center their lives around their children.

Try to be more open-minded and not so defensive.

Thanks!

www.kidfreeandlovinit.com

Posted by: Kidfree Kaye | July 21, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

some one provide a nice proverb about wine from the Bible
***
who could forget the wedding at cana? when the best wine was served last. John 2:1-11

Posted by: glurg glurg glurg, janet wipes her mouth | July 21, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

YOU, MN, in fact were on there today saying nasty things.
We do not do that here. We snark on celebs. . . .

Posted by: Anon for this | July 21, 2008 5:08 PM

Anon for this, "nasty" seems to be your favorite word and since you won't post with a name and have decided to launch a personal attack, methinks you aren't exactly living up to what used to be the Celebritology tradition of attacking only celebs. Funny, your welcome strikes a rather insincerenote, LOL.

Fortunately, Emily and a few others continue the amusing and witty tradition that's been lacking lately what with the obsession a few have with OP.

Long live ep, esquire of the Bar.

Posted by: MN | July 21, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

also:
bottle of wine
fruit of the wine
when you gonna let me get sober
leave me along
let me go home
let me go back and start over.....

Posted by: janet gives kudos to tom paxton, almost as good as john the apostle | July 21, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 5:50 PM

I still LOVE that commercial with the guys herding cats. But yeah, a cat behaviorist would be fun. Impossible to film, but fun. Mine do all kinds of photogenic things (fetch, open drawers and cabinets, jump into my arms) but only when THEY feel like it. Never got around to training them to do it (or not, in the case of the drawers and cabinets and strewing things about) for treats or anything.

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call MN nasty. She is clever, funny, and appropriately rarely acerbic.

And I have to say that even though I like the Lizards, I have been the subject of some not too nice snarks here (which I don't hold against all Lizards). But that is what Spinach pie is for.

Posted by: Emily | July 21, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I watched Caesar Milan for a couple of hours on NatGeo this weekend. The accuracy with which he can interpret canine behavior and communication is amazing.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Emily, this "Spinach Pie" of which you write....is it in the same league as Moose Turd Pie(good, though)?

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Have you tried America's top dog? Some of those owners shouldn't have a dog--like the woman who got booted last week. Training by intimidation--I was not a happy camper. And the one who dresses her dog in frou-frou dresses? Give me strength.

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Sasquatch,
Spinach pie is an inside joke. Let me just say that spinach was once used as a homeopathic remedy for pregnancy induced hemorrhoids. Nuff said.

Posted by: Emily | July 21, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Nope, haven't seen America's Top Dog. From your description, maybe I shouldn't. Re the cat herders, do you mean this?

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Emily. Gotcha on the Spinach Pie. So a mega-dose of Preparation H might cause some people to vanish, eh?

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spartan | July 21, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Sas--Yes, that's the video--love it. Some good cgi work, and the swimmers!

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Only one person here is allowed to use "methinks" & it's not MN.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

What's the backstory on Moose Turd Pie?

Posted by: Emily | July 21, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Spartan, most of the celebrity talk was earlier in the day -- the topic is pretty narrow and got exhausted after a couple of lists. More celeb talk on Morning Mix than here today!

Posted by: hermespal | July 21, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

"Lots of chatter about cats, dogs, wine, kids (all of which I love) but where is the celebrity talk?"

Good point. Let's go to SJP's vanishing mole. We haven't sufficiently beaten that horse.

Posted by: Sasquatch Blucher | July 21, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

****
i called him when frankie made a good faith effort to remove the dingleberries from our elderly beagle. he was too busy but referred me to someone who he trained. she saved frankie, as both her vet and trainer felt she should be euthanized. i had ceded pack leadership to her and didn't even know it. took about 2 weeks to turn it all around and we're now 3 years down the road and she's the queen of hospice of the valley at brighton gardens in south scottsdale. and she and the beagle sleep side by side.

Posted by: janet thinks cesar millan is a celebrity, plus, it's the end of the day. | July 21, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Moose Turd Pie is a monologue by the late Utah Phillips:

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

"My God, that's moose turd pie. It's good, though".

Posted by: classic utah phillips | July 21, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I actually would love more information on Child-free by Choice groups. I would much rather regret never having had children than regret having had them after the fact, which happens MUCH more frequently than parents will admit to (with good reason). All of my friends now have kids and few, if any, ever want or can get together for any type of social outing. Some can't even find the time for a quick phone chat. Ever. So I don't know where all these parents are who have lives outside of their kids and work. Fine. Their priorities have changed and I get that but that doesn't keep me from missing my friends. So, I think Child-free by Choice groups are a great way to meet more people who have the time to maintain friendships. And I think this is a great topic because I do think some celebrities still have kids not because they want them, but because it would help their careers/image, etc. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people still have children not because they want them, but because it is what they are *supposed* to do. I love spoiling my nephews but I can do that and still get lots of sleep.

Kidfree Kaye - Thanks for the survey, I will definitely check it out.

Posted by: JLF | July 21, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Sass. That was hilarious.

Posted by: Emily | July 21, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

"Good, though," said with a wink, is a widely shared inside joke among people who know the Utah Phillips Moose Turd Pie story.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 21, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you should try it as well. Don't post a link on a blog and then get defensive when someone goes and looks at it and doesn't like what they see. Your definitions are rude and who gives you the right to define parents anyway. An a-hole is an a-hole whether they have kids or not. I don't see parents having web sites about our single or childfree counterparts. It would be fine if you gave tips on where to eat, visit and recreate child free, but your definitions are just beyond tasteless. If someone is rude I don't come home to my husband and say "gee, honey the barren woman at supermarket stepped in front of me in line." Nope, I just say some jerk did. a-hole is an a-hole whether they have kids or not.

Posted by: practice what you preach Kaye | July 21, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I never thought it'd be possible to long for luvlinsey, but here I am...

Posted by: Liz Kelly | July 21, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Bored@work at 2:43,

I needed that. Hehehe. Shuts 'em right up indeed. Hehehe.

Posted by: jsk | July 21, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Your definitions are rude and who gives you the right to define parents anyway
***
that's your opinion, that her definitions are rude. doesn't mean they are rude or not rude. just your take on it. she can define parents. not aware there's a law prohibiting it. you may disagree but you certainly can't challenge her constitutional freedom of speech. your comments, i find to be judgmental. much more annoying than rudeness. again, my opinion.

Posted by: janet thinks it's time to clean out the sand box and go home | July 21, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Megan Mullally
Terri Gross (Fresh Air)
Marilyn McCoo (5th Dimension)
Toni Tennille & the Captain, Daryl Dragon

Posted by: Anonymous | July 21, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

This is too sensitive a topic to be lighthearted about. I stopped posting for a few days, and now I wonder why I came back.

Liz, with this post, you knew you were hitting a sensitive area for many personally, yet you dove right in. Is this what you mean by "irreverent analysis" in the About box? If so, I guess I assumed an "all in fun" element that's been missing lately.

Perhaps this is your way of being a more hard-hitting journalist? All I know is that this blog was much more fun before the OP crossovers got out of control (they were fun at first) and the blog's tone got bitter and mean-spirited.

(But maybe that's just me. I'm still waiting for the apology to Bawlmer for last week's thrashing. You were way out of line. Oh well. A guy can dream.)

Posted by: td says *so long* for a bit | July 21, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Has it really not occurred to any of you that the topic of parenting, and anything remotely related to it, is going to attract trolls, and a whole lot of 'em? Look at the posts here today, hardly civilized and friendly and funny with barbs aimed only at celebrities. First Achenblog was all worked up about OB, now you guys are obsessed with OP, but look what happens on your own blog when the topic is kids and parenting. Everybody has an opinion about parenting, whether they have kids or not, and a blog about parenting seems to make otherwise normal people lose all sense of reserve just like a pregnant belly makes otherwise normal people think it's ok to touch a stranger's abdomen. Get over yourselves and let the MM obsession go. There are plenty of nice people on OP too, if you don't have the patience to wade through all the crap to find them, then don't. But for crying out loud, carm down about it already.

Posted by: It's the topic, stupid | July 21, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Ernest Hemingway (not exactly a celeb but still) definitely belonged in the" shouldn't have had kids" category: in "A Moveable Feast", he describes without shame letting the cat babysit his first child, who was still in a crib at the time. I have no idea what the cat was supposed to do in an emergency, maybe turn into Lassie?

Posted by: Angela | July 22, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey! Who wants to go throw water balloons full of ink at Richard Cohen!

Posted by: Cybex | July 22, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm a mom of two who adores my kids but would have felt equally happy being childfree. I can't imagine losing them, but I do remember my life before them and it was pretty great too.

Posted by: JL | July 22, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

janet I wasn't aware that I did challenge her right to free speech. She can and does post what she wants, I have the right to say I disagree.

Oh well, I guess I have an excuse for being judgemental. My brain must have shrunk with my three pregnacies.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Only one person here is allowed to use "methinks" & it's not MN.

Posted by: | July 21, 2008 6:30 PM

another friendly, welcoming sort. Thank God for the regulars here, the ones with confidence, wit AND names du blog.

Posted by: MN | July 22, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't aware that I did challenge her right to free speech
****
the key phrase is "i wasn't aware". but that's exactly what you did when you wrote that the writer was rude and challenged that person's right to define parenting in his or her own terms. again, it's a matter of perception and opinion. if you don't like what you read, don't come over here to read things and then stick your two cents in. as td wrote, this is a very sensitive topic and it can only devolve into unpleasantness if there is no analysis, just flinging about of opinions.

Posted by: it's a new day and janet is already tired of this topic | July 22, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"As a matter of fact, at OP, they also call the Celebritology folks names and say nasty things. YOU, MN, in fact were on there today saying nasty things about Celebritology, yet here you are."

Posted by: Ya can't have it both ways | July 22, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Wow Janet I guess the same could be said for Kaye. She posted something and then got upset when I read it because I am not childfree and didn't like what she had to say. I guess the rules only apply to people without children.

As I said before, I don't define single people, but perhaps, my mother the "breeder" raised me better than Kaye's.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"Jay Leno is kid free by choice."
---------------
Yes, and I like the gracious and thoughtful reply Jay gave to an audience member last year during the strike, when the kid question was asked. He said something to the effect that he'd been happily married to Mavis for almost 30 years and wanted to make sure she could go everywhere with him. In reply to a separate question Jay said that their successful marriage is based on the principle that "nothing is worth staying angry about." Props to both of them!

I love my kids but I also know that people can have a very happy and fulfilling (and cheaper!) life without kids. To each his/her own.

Posted by: Glad that we have a choice about whether to have kids | July 22, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

canada student tree america right apple tree frog student

Posted by: vacantoceany | July 26, 2008 6:38 AM | Report abuse