Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 07/29/2008

More Comic-Con Bonus Video: 'Mystery Science Theater'

By Jen Chaney

We did so much at Comic-Con that we still have a few pop culture morsels left to share. Juicy ones, too, especially (in this case) for fans of "Mystery Science Theater 3000."

Everyone involved with the series -- which, for those who don't recall, was a combination of sci-fi and snarky mockery of B-movies -- came together at Comic-Con for a 20th anniversary reunion, an event that will be celebrated further with a 20th anniversary DVD release in October.

I got to sit down with three of the original guys involved in the series -- Trace Beaulieu, host Joel Hodgson and Jim Mallon -- to talk about the still fervent "MST 3K" fan base. The "MST" robots, Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot, were technically present as well, but could not speak on camera due to union regulations of some sort. No, I am not making that up.

Anyway, hope you MST fanatics enjoy the video below.

By Jen Chaney  | July 29, 2008; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Comic-Con
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Amy Winehouse Briefly Hospitalized (Again)
Next: Celeb-Centric Art: The Etch-A-Sketchist

Comments

Great interview, folks.
I first saw MST3K at a youth group meeting when I was about 13. Someone had brought the "Shorts Vol. 1" tape. Halfway through the first bit ("The Home Economics Story") I was on the floor and literally could not breathe for laughing. Now the series, for me, is synonymous with watching a movie with my buddies and firing off witticisms. We share YouTube stuff, sure, but it's not quite like being in the same room with your friend and watching him roll off the couch through the force of unbridled hilarity.

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 29, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Keep the tapes circulating... We have the complete series from back in the day but still buy the Rhino releases in order to support Best Brains. Anytime my husband and I are fed up, we pop a tape in, watch half an hour and life is good.

Posted by: L8yF8 | July 29, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

hooray.

i've been looking for days for coverage of their panel from the con and no one seems to have had any.

Posted by: odessasteps | July 29, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Trace Beaulieu. Any relation to Priscilla Beaulieu Presley?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I miss that show so much. I still think the funniest episode, hands down, was The Thing That Couldn't Die. (And I'm a Joel fan more than a Mike fan, so that's saying something.) I'm disappointed it hasn't yet (to my knowledge) shown up on any "best of" dvds yet.

Posted by: Rick | July 31, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse