Posted at 8:14 AM ET, 07/16/2008

Morning Mix: Matthew McConaughey the New Voice of Beef

By Liz Kelly
Wednesday

Headlines: Lindsay Lohan on the right track, says judge... Topless Sienna Miller snapped with married Balthazar Getty (NSFW) | More details... Matthew McConaughey the new voice of beef... Pierce Brosnan universally slammed for "Mamma Mia" crooning... Megan Fox ordered to gain 10 pounds for "Tranformers" sequel... Al Reynolds says he still "very much loves" Star Jones... Minnie Driver thanks surfers for defending her from paparazzi... Maggie Gyllenhaal ready to quit New York to escape paps... Sixty-two-year-old Helen Mirren shows off her bikini body... Eva Longoria chops off her locks... Michael J. Fox headed to FX's "Rescue Me"... Miley Cyrus longs to do a "younger, cleaner" version of "Sex and the City"... Natalie Cole has hepatitis C, says publicist... Verne Troyer speaks out about sex tape drama... "Insider" host Pat O'Brien to marry.

Crime Watch: Barenaked Ladies singer Steven Page arrested on drug charges.

Rumor Mill: Swedish tourists mistake Ricky Gervais for Robert De Niro... Amy Poehler headed to "Office" spinoff?... Brangelina baby was almost named "Rex" (fifth item).

By Liz Kelly  | July 16, 2008; 8:14 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comment Box: Stars, They're Just Like Us
Next: Dirty Job: Catching Up With Mike Rowe

Comments

Is L.A. Superior Court Judge H. Chester Horn Jr. "luvlinsey"?

You read it here first, folks.

Posted by: byoolin | July 16, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I thought I read a similar story about surfers coming to Matt McConaughey's defense when a papzi was trying to get photos of him surfing. In what I read, the surfers swarmed the photog, snagged his camera, and deep-sixed it into the ocean. Now this story about Driver and Farrell...this is AWESOME, the guerilla campaign against celebrity photographers has begun!

Posted by: 23112 | July 16, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Helen Mirren...just speechless...

Posted by: ADHD is without speech | July 16, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

McConaughey the "voice of beef?" Beef says, "DUDE?"

Posted by: Red Dragon | July 16, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Al Reynolds needs a taste-in-women transplant.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 16, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

About Helen Mirren: What ADHD said.

I was kind of hoping Michael J.'s character in Rescue Me was a firefighter too: he could play a guy kicked off the force because he aimed the hose everywhere but at the burning building.

"'I'd love to do a younger, cleaner version of Sex and the City,' Miley Cyrus, 15, tells TV Guide." Well, if that hacker is to be believed, you've got some experience shooting shower scenes already.

'[Ex-girlfriend and costar Ranae Shrider]'s still in the house,' Troyer says, noting that he's taking legal action to force her out, but their situation 'makes it even harder, to, you know, not strangle her.' Well, that, as well as the height, weight and reach advantage, right?

Speaking of height, weight and reach advantage, George Foreman has a reality show debuting tonight: Family Foreman follows him "as he tries to balance fatherhood with his businesses.

"But Foreman, 59, warns not to expect typical reality-show conflict on his Texas ranch. "You see that our daughters have talents, we travel and we grill," he says.

".... As a child, he... dreamed of a stable home... 'Now I have two refrigerators, two cars, two homes,' he says. 'I have achieved the American Dream.'"

Posted by: byoolin | July 16, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Does this latest action against photogs mean that in future we may not be able to "see" celebrities but only read about them?

Oh dear.

This development almost certainly will require a level of literacy on the tabs part.

Oh dear.

Owe, the humanity!

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 16, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Balthazar Getty? There's a blast from the past. I used to have the biggest crush on him after Young Guns II.

Posted by: surlychick | July 16, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Beef, it's what's for dinner, alright, alright, alright...

Posted by: Dorkus | July 16, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

The Barenaked Ladies don't rock hard enough to need drugs. Poor Steven needs to stop trying to be one of the cool kids, especially since he has kids of his own.

Helen Mirren looks smokin' in a bikini! Freaking awesome!

Posted by: atb | July 16, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Helen Mirren......Wow!!

Posted by: dmk | July 16, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I think that Minnie Driver paparazzi story was originally reported as a Voice Of Beef paparazzi story - it happened at the same place; Minnie says it happened 'last month' while the VoB fracas happened on 6/21:

Posted by: byoolin thinks the paps should have taken pictures to help keep their stories straight. | July 16, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Okay, yeah, it's official - I want to be Helen Mirren when I grow up.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | July 16, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

No comments on the Pat O'Brien nuptuals yet? Seriously who would marry that guy? Wasn't that cracked out obscene phone call less than a year ago?

Posted by: sjcpeach | July 16, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

If Maggie Gyllenhaal needs a place to stay, I have a spare bedroom...just saying...

Posted by: Dorkus M. | July 16, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Just for sjcpeach:

Those of you attending the Pat O'Brien wedding will want to be sure to get to the open bar early and often.

Posted by: byoolin | July 16, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, gang.

I humbly suggest that the photo of Dame Helen is a, er, um, fake.

Posted by: curmudgeon | July 16, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Helen Mirren. Wow!!! We should all be so lucky.

Until now I just felt shook my head at Miley Cyrus. Now I want to hurl.

Posted by: Julie | July 16, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Sienna Miller, you're forgiven for those cracks you made about Pittsburgh back in '06.

Posted by: but byoolin says you're still no Helen Mirren. | July 16, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

curmugeun, yur jelus of how hto hellen is becuz yur fat and so is yur wive.

Posted by: luvhellen | July 16, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

'Mudge, what makes you think that pic of Dame Helen is fake?

Posted by: methinks | July 16, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I spent the 1970's avoiding anything associated with ABBA. I think perhaps there is justice in Pierce Brosnan singing their songs.

Posted by: Groovis M. | July 16, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Drat, the Sienna Miller link is blocked, guess I'll just have to wait until I get home.

Posted by: Dorkus, who was apparently the only fan of Keen Eddie | July 16, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

US magazine needs to get their facts straight...Miley Cyrus wasn't on the cover of VF, she did a photo shoot. If everyone will recall, Bobby Kennedy was on the cover. Then one of the Lizards (don't remember which one) misspelled his name, "Booby" Kennedy, and the rest (as they say) is history.

Posted by: methinks | July 16, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon - wait, you have a wife? Do you live in California? Or do you have a wave? - which makes more sense in Florida....

By the way, I AM jealous of Helen Mirren. She looks better in a bikini than I look in my toga, thats for sure.

Posted by: Groovis | July 16, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I caught an episode of Spin City while home the other day -- laughed the whole half hour. Love MJF!!! Loved him in Family Ties, too. (Sigh.)

Posted by: WDC 21113 | July 16, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"Rex"

Why not Tex or Jex and Jax or Hax?

Posted by: they are weirdos | July 16, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Groovus: Your mention of Abba has me wondering if they were the "elderly Swedish tourists" who mistook Ricky G for Bobby D.

Dorkus: Sienna pix also available at defamer.com.

Posted by: byoolin does his bit to help Sienna show off hers. | July 16, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Ahh Groovis, I can't wait to see Mama Mia. I've been singing ABBA all week. I figure it will be easier to see Mama Mia this week rather than the Dark Knight, which I also want to see.

Posted by: Dorkus M. | July 16, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

'Mudge, what makes you think that pic of Dame Helen is fake?

Posted by: methinks | July 16, 2008 9:20 AM

=============================

Elementary, my dear Watson. Consider, if you will, the woman's positioning relative to the man in the foreground, the proportion of Dame Helen's face to the rest of the body shown, the fact that some of the shadowing doesn't work, etc, etc, etc

Posted by: Curmudgeon had been a sleuth in her day | July 16, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm ashamed to admit it, and i wont use my regular moniker, but i LOVE hannah montana. her songs and her tv show. and i'm not a geigh

Posted by: Miley | July 16, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Thank you byoolin.

Posted by: Dorkus | July 16, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

*Whether that's Helen Mirren's body or not (and I'm inclined to think it is) I'd like to look like that when I'm 63.

Posted by: methinks | July 16, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I think the shots are real - there are too many of them. Plus, Mirren also did look that good in Calendar Girls, and believe me those women in that film were definitely not doctored to look good!

Posted by: Dame Helen | July 16, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: surlychick | July 16, 2008 9:06 AM
-----------------------------------------Balthazar Getty is on that show Brothers and Sisters and was on Alias, so that blast shouldn't be too much in the past.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I've have ABBA going through my head ever since the promos started. Trust me, it is great when you are frustrated by studying.

Based on recent behavior (pictures), a little late for a cleaner version of Sex & the City there Miley.

Of course Al Jones misses Star Reynolds. Now he has to go be a productive member of society instead of mooching off her.

Didn't Sienna Miller dump her last boyfriend/husband for cheating on her? So what is this? Returning the favor?

Also, I can't go look at other blogs. They get me all het up. That Fischer dude who is incredibly liberal is denouncing one of the best anti-trafficking laws that have been recently passed.

Posted by: ep | July 16, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Sienna can hire Mary Kate Olsen as her body double.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm inclined to agree with Dame Helen and methinks. I think the shots are real and Helen Mirren looks sensational!

Posted by: The Queen says to Curmudgeon | July 16, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Next up for McConaughey: An endorsement deal with Sara Lee, to cement his status as the king of beef-cake.

Posted by: Bawlmer slaps her thigh. HEY-OOO! | July 16, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

My wife has warned me that she is sitting through continuous runs of Mamma Mia as soon as the theater opens. She may have the dialog memorized by the time I get off work.

She'd be at the midnight pre-screening if they had one.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I wish the McConaughey pics were his regular type of pics. I heart him. He and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Posted by: xenda | July 16, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

All this talk about Dame Helen suddenly reminded me of Dame Edna. I really, really don't want to see Dame Edna in a bikini.

Posted by: Groovis' strange stream of consciousness | July 16, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

As a photographer and someone who is familiar with Photoshop, I have to respectfully disagree w/'Mudge. Everything 'Mudge pointed to as proof that the image is a fake, as well as the other images in the story, seem to prove it's real to me. The shadows look absolutely consistent, her head looks proportional to me, and if you scroll down one picture you can see that her husband is standing on a rock slightly above her. There are also the many little imperfections that any decent Photoshopper would have been unable to resist perfecting, such as the slight love handles, the little back fat above of the bikini-top, the sag in the back of the arm and the skin imperfections. I also take into consideration HM's long-time reputation as a hottie. If it is a Photoshop job, it is amazingly well and subtly done, and I can't think why anyone would take the time.

In no way however, do I mean to imply she looks anything less than amazing! She just doesn't look like she's been Photoshopped within and inch of her life.

Posted by: tl | July 16, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Beef, it's what's for dinner, alright, alright, alright...

Posted by: Dorkus | July 16, 2008 9:06 AM

Hahaha. This has just made my day.

Liz, if you were considering a Beef slogan contest, consider no more. The Dorkus of the Maximii has already taken the prize.

Posted by: Sully | July 16, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

If MM gets to be the Beef Man, maybe Helen Mirren should be signed up for the "Got Milk" campaign

Posted by: Groovis | July 16, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

see, i told u guyz. linsey is awsum, doing well, even the judje is saying so. all the stuff that is the news and magazines is bc of the paparrrazi which is all lies and hates linsey and dina. linsey is a gr8 actrs and dina is a ecxellent mom to linsey and me.

Posted by: luvlinsey | July 16, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Cute couple. Do they often stay on that dating site (blackbbwmeet.com)? Hard to believe,i heard this news many times from
many friends AND i think that they are know nothing but dating and love.

Posted by: kelly | July 16, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Well, I think she's already signed on for the "Got MILF" campaign.

Posted by: Sully couldn't resist, apologizes profusely to the Dame | July 16, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Dear Miley,

The "younger, cleaner version of 'Sex and the City'" has already been made, albeit a bit before your time.

The show was called "That Girl" and it starred Marlo Thomas. Now run and tell your agent.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 16, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Once again, I can't get into the Eva Longoria site. I can only assume that she's standing there, topless, with her new short do.

And I will also assume she cut it off herself using the knife she carried during her "Angelina Jolie phase."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 16, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Brad and Angelina were going to name their child Rex? Why not Fido, Spot or Bowser?

Posted by: Sounder | July 16, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

MoCo, I think you are mixing up Eva Longoria with Eva Mendez...

Who names their child "Balthazar," anyway? I think having a really weird name like that would have some mental or emotional effect on a person. Hasn't Balthazar been a character name for a demon in several movies and tv shows. At least Jolie Pitt didn't name the twins after demons, yes?

I also think Helen is smokin' in those photos and they look real enough to me...I wish I looked that good in a bikini now, much less 30 years from now.

Posted by: sunnydaze | July 16, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

To Pierce Brosnan goes the "Clint Eastwood/Paint Your Wagon" award, annually awarded to the actor who should have had his singing dubbed.

Gonna paint your wagon
Gonna paint it good
Gonna paint your wagon
Cause it's made of wood.

Posted by: Lee | July 16, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Indeed, Sunny, there was a demon Balthazar living in a warehouse in Sunnydale... Buffy and Angel took care of it. I miss Buffy.

Posted by: WDC | July 16, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Ooooh, Dame Helen! She looks hawt. I really heart her. And Eva La Parker looks really cute in the short hair. Who knew?

Now, about Sienna Miller. She is giving Kate Hudson a run for her money as the squanque of Hollywood. Ewwww.

Posted by: jaybbub | July 16, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

WDC, I miss Buffy as well. I think there was also a Balthazar on Charmed as well, played by what's his name from Nip/Tuck.

Posted by: Dorkus | July 16, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I thought Michael J. Fox was too afflicted these days to act at all. If he's able to do four episodes of whatever show he's doing, it seems to lend credence to the republican flap over his campaign ad last elections.
(Remember, he was pushing for stem-cell research, and his tremors were so bad he could barely stay in the frame. He was accused of stopping his meds to make his symptoms more dramatic for the ad. His people denied it, and said it was just the reality of living with Parkinsons. But what... he got better since then?)

Posted by: WDC | July 16, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Balthazar is a really unfortunate last name for a girl in high school when put in the hands of immature boys. Although come to think of it, I don't think she minded too much...

Posted by: Sully | July 16, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

helen mirren rocks! i was all set to gouge out my eyes after looking at a 63 y.o. in a bikini...but, ooh la la! that's inspiring!

as for pierce brosnan's inability to sing, who cares? i just want to look at him (and imagine he's looking at me....ahhhhh)

Posted by: wats | July 16, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I may get my Evas mixed up, but I do know that Balthazar was the name of one of the Three Wise Men, although "wise" is not a word I associate with Balthazar Getty.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 16, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Please....no one can replace Sam Elliott as the "beef--it's what's for dinner" voice. Yummmmm. He could talk me into more than dinner!

Posted by: painterlady | July 16, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Buffy, or Whedon at least, has anyone else caught Act I of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog?

Posted by: mouse | July 16, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Did a little research on IMDB, Baltazar Getty has 4 kids. Four. Youngest born last fall. Oldest is named Cassius. Also great-grandson of J. Paul Getty. Oh yeah, he was in Lord of the Flies.

He's not being very discreet, but I guess it doesn't matter since according to IMDB he is moving in with Sienna.

Posted by: Balty | July 16, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

WDC,

Do you get all your medical advice from Republican pundits? I sure do hope not!

Last time I checked, Parkinson's is incurable. L-dopa is the medication Parkinsons' sufferers use to quell the effects of the tremors, but it must be used judiciously, as it loses effectiveness over time.

Michael J. Fox has recently appeared on Scrubs and Boston Legal and just finished voicing over the next Stuart Little sequel.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 16, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Well at least HM has a nice body because her face is banging in a bad way.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

WDC, my understanding is that Parkinson's tends to respond oddly to drugs- one of the side effects of the main treatment drug is, natch, an increase in tics and involuntary movements. That's how Fox's excess shakiness was explained at the hearing. You're right though; it's odd that he'd get more stable and not less as time passes. Awesome, and I'm glad to hear it, but a little odd.

Posted by: Bawlmer is reading medical texts again. | July 16, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would care about Maggie Gyllenhaal. She can move to my neighborhood --I'm sure she would have all the privacy she wants.

Posted by: painterlady | July 16, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I've been lurking lately, mostly because I've been too busy to snark. After MJF announced he had Parkinson, I was watching an old episode of Spin City, he was showing signs even then. In one scene his hand was in his pocket, but it was noticably shaking.

Posted by: MJF | July 16, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: luvlinsey | July 16, 2008 10:09 AM

HAHAHAHAAHA! u guyz know i'm rite, thats why u guyz dont have nything 2 say. linsey rulez! team dina!

Posted by: luvlinsey | July 16, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

and elso, i bougght some of linsey's leggings and they r awsum! all my friends and people all tell me they looook good on me! u guyz should by sum too!

Posted by: luvlinsey | July 16, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

There is something really, really pathetic about Sienna Miller.

And there is something really, REALLY gorgeous and amazing about Helen Mirren. Holy bejeezus.

Posted by: smiff | July 16, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Balthazar was also Romeo's friend. He was the one who told Romeo that Juliet was "dead."

Posted by: Shakespeare Just Poppin in to Droppeth Some Knowledge On Y'all | July 16, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I still dunno about the Dame H pix . . .

The top of the bod doesn't match the bottom (from just above the bellybutton down portion).

But, our much loved Queen has bespeaketh and I am henceforth stilled on this issue.

Ramen Save the Queen!

Posted by: Curmudgeon is a loyal subject and proud Lizard | July 16, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

it was just the reality of living with Parkinsons. But what... he got better
*****
possibly. my mother had parkinson's and her meds really dictated how she did. they're working on that all the time, so it could be his meds help control his rigor, tremors, etc. and when he doesn't take them, or the dosage is off, his symptoms are debilitating and noticeable.

Posted by: janet knows a little about parkinsonian symptoms | July 16, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Second what Janet says about Parkinson's.

It - like most neurological disorders - can be very unpredictable. Some periods the person might be doing reasonably well, some periods they might be doing very poorly. Meds can work for a time and then not work for a time. Michael J. Fox is an extraordinary example of someone living and continuing to work with a serious, life-altering disease. Rush Limbaugh and the rest of those idiots who question that are talking out of the a$$. Arrogance and ignorance are a beautiful combination!

Yeah, I know a little about this area of medicine. Don't even get me started.

Posted by: jaybbub | July 16, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Good for Helen Mirren. Now, if we can only get 63 yr old men to look good in speedos. (I went to Mexico for vacation and my eyes are still burning from sights I seen.)

Posted by: Lisa1 | July 16, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"Balthazar Getty is on that show Brothers and Sisters and was on Alias, so that blast shouldn't be too much in the past."

It is for me. I haven't seen those shows.

Posted by: surlychick | July 16, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

curmugeun, yur jelus of how hto hellen is becuz yur fat and so is yur wive.

Posted by: luvhellen | July 16, 2008 9:19 AM

AHAHAHAHHA.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | July 16, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

****
plus, his youth helps him in some ways. my mother was diagnosed in her 80s. the parkinson's didn't kill her, a sudden and massive heart attack did. my mother's bff developed parkinson's when she was in her late 50s and it took many years before the symptoms really grabbed her down. basically immobilized her at the end, incapable of movement or speech. so very sad. i remember speaking to her while she was hospitalized towards the end of her life, telling her how much i loved her and what she'd meant to me since i was a very young child. i looked up and there were tears rolling down her cheeks. she could not speak but those tears said everything. i rushed to her side to tell her i didn't mean to make her feel sad, but in her eyes all i saw was love. it's a brutal disease and i would never, ever make light of it or suggest that someone who has it is either faking the symptoms or trying to make them more pronounced.

Posted by: janet remembers and loves her mother's bff | July 16, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

McConaughey has been doing the beef ads for a while now. Why has it suddenly become news? (I'm really good at identifying voiceovers on commercials. Gene Hackman, Jonathan Pryce, Kevin Spacey, etc. I know, it's weird.)

Posted by: arlington | July 16, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Oh hells, yeah, I didn't mean to do any serious MJF bashing. I'm pro-stem-cell research, (often)anti-republican, etc etc. It's just that, at the time, when MJF was getting bashed for that ad, I blew it off as typical republican "attack the victim" nonsense. But I'm surprised today to learn that he's able to work, if that ad was an indicator of the severity of his disease. That's all.

I would say that it reminds me of the accusation that OJ Simpson stopped taking his arthritis meds so that the glove wouldn't fit. But that would be totally taken the wrong way. So I won't say it.

I will say, I love MJF, and am impressed that he manages to work, advocate, and maintain an otherwise private personal life.

Posted by: WDC | July 16, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

A younger, cleaner "Sex and the City'? So you clean it up and put younger people in it. Do you move it to the country too? Does it become "Grean Acres" without Eva Gabor, Eddie Albert, or Arnold the Pig? Oh, that's right SATC was not officially a comedy...

Posted by: Red Dragon | July 16, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

What about a new SATC show starring soccer/futbol players? woo hoo!

Posted by: LTL | July 16, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Sensational is right. I heart Helen Mirren!

An actress ordered to gain 10 lbs ... love it ... may this be the start of a trend.

I have really just tried to ignore Miley Cyrus, but criminey, if I never hear the name Miley Cyrus again it'll be too soon.

Posted by: Californian | July 16, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

mrs. eva l. parker looks like mrs. victoria posh spice beckham with that short haircut.

Posted by: methinks | July 16, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

As far as MJF I believe part of the issue is timing when you take the drugs, and if you don't guess correctly hours before you need to, for example, appear in front of Congress, it's too late. Shooting for tv shows can be rescheduled if the timing is off, Congressional hearings, not so much. But I only know what I heard on tv, so my information may be as bad a Rush's.

I'm quite the little know-it-all today, huh? I'll stop now, I promise.

Posted by: tl | July 16, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, I looooved Keen Eddie. I couldn't wait for it to come out on DVD, but was miffed when some of the original music was changed out. (I can't stand when they do that. I guess it has something to do with not being able to get the rights--like with Tour of Duty. But I digress.) And it was the only thing I've like Sienna Miller in to date.

I also loved Wonderfalls, another great Fox show that got killed off too soon. Along with Canterbury's Law. . . well, the list just goes on.

Posted by: alex | July 16, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

after seeing dame helen's pictures, i now have a goal... to look that good when i'm 63.

dang. it's going to take a loooooot of work.

Posted by: b | July 16, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Another Keen Eddie fan. I had actually forgotten that Sienna Miller was in it until we caught a marathon a couple months ago. Need it on DVD!

(Already own Wonderfalls on DVD and am still indignant only 4 episodes were shown on TV before the plug was pulled.)

Posted by: mouse | July 16, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

You know, you see a lot of these young stars in candid shots in revealing clothes or without their gobs of makeup and they don't look all that great. In fact, a lot of them even look a lot worse than I do heading out to the gym or the grocery store--and I'm not even expecting anyone to see me or take my pic. But that Helen Mirren is something else altogether. She's 63 for crying out loud and I've never seen her look less than fab. (And she does it without acting like she's still 30 and instead coming off as cheap and pathetic--naming no names.) Now there's someone to emulate.

Posted by: alex has a role model (OK, maybe even a crush) | July 16, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

WDC, you scared me there for a minute!

I'm not actually sure MJF is getting "better" (whatever that means when you have Parkinson's.) But if you think about it, Rescue Me is about a fire department, so maybe his character doesn't need to be "healthy." Perhaps he's playing a patient being transported or a fireman who had to retire on disability. MJF's dad was a cop in Canada, so I'm sure the show's subject matter is very close to his heart anyway.

Ok, back to snark--

The upside of celebrities getting diseases* (or paralyzed) is that they don't have to do much acting on TV shows about hospitals or sick people. And, it's instant Emmy fodder, to boot.

* Yes, I'm counting addiction as a disease.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 16, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Man, the Reliable Source discussion is like a Soup for Celebritology discussion comments from week's past:

The Brangelina Boys' names all have "x" in them.

Make a celebriname for John Mayer and Jennifer Aniston.

Helen Mirren showing her Miley Cyrus.

And McConaughey talks beef.

It's all so incestupus.

Posted by: M Street | July 16, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

i want to believe that is helen mirren in the pic, i really do!! but i'm having doubts. can a woman her age really have legs THAT toned? shouldn't some skin somewhere sag?? her legs look awfully young, her belly mighty taut. someone, get to the bottom of this!!!

Posted by: wats | July 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

alex, that is so true. When I was taking a series of classes in Santa Monica I saw a number of celebs out and about, and realized how much makeup, lighting and stylists affect what we perceive. They look normal without all that stuff. Kristin Scott Thomas is absolutely beautiful and totally natural, cch Pounder looks like a regular person, a lot of the male celebs are very short and skinny, Jon Favreau is huge and very much a diva, and Goldie Hawn looks very weathered (not bad, just looks her age and doesn't look like she's had work done).

Posted by: Californian | July 16, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

can a woman her age really have legs THAT toned?

Posted by: wats | July 16, 2008 1:23 PM

*************************************

wats, to answer your question, I submit to you Tina Turner.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Liz, I DON"T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU DON"T HAVE MORE PICTURES OF JEN!!! She is so much more beautiful than Siena M. And talentsed and has her own brand of water. at the Cat Show the other day, I was telling my firnd that if I were John I'd get married to Jen asap because they would have such beatiful babies...way better than that angie CREAP!!I"m going to buy some WELLINTON BOOTS so i can be JUST LIKE JEN!!! HEARTS TO JEN!!!!! LUV YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: luvjen | July 16, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

That BNL singer getting popped for coke makes me sad.

I'd expect them to find marijuana, but coke? That's bad news.

Posted by: Bored @ work | July 16, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

name for Jennifer and John

Mayston

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Keene Eddie was so funny but I don't remember S. Miller in it. Maybe that's a good thing.

Plus, I'm another Wonderfalls fan-- who bought the DVD as soon as it came out.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Jen and John
= Johnnifer?

Posted by: sunnydaze | July 16, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

John Mayer + Jennifer Aniston = AniMay?

Posted by: Arlington | July 16, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

My tacky first thought was that the coke was for the girls, but what the hell do I know? :)

Posted by: 23112 | July 16, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: luvjen | July 16, 2008 1:33 PM

ohmigod i'm rolling on the floor. that was HILARIOUS - intentionally or not. my coworkers are wondering why i'm giggling uncontrollably.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting, Californian. Being on the other coast, I haven't seen too many celebs in real life--and when I have, they've been dressed up rather than au naturel.

I felt bad for Goldie Hawn when those pix of her jogging were published. I mean, she was exercising. You should get a pass for that. That's a little different than going out to dinner and not bothering to dress or put on makeup when you're a celeb and you know there's a pretty good chance you're going to get caught on film.

I still think the glammed up Charlize Theron is one of the most beautiful women ever and I wish I look a 1/100th that good, but I've been shocked by pix of her without makeup--bad skin, unremarkable eyes and features. Same with Eva Longoria--you'd hardly even know it was her. They were no Helen Mirrens.

But, really, the best thing about Mirren is that she's so much more than just an "older actress who's aging gracefully" or some such nonsense. Like Judy Dench, she's damn brilliant in just about every role she plays and she's just as smart off the screen as she is on it. She's just head and shoulders above almost everyone else in Hollywood in every way that counts.

Posted by: alex | July 16, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Good grief. That last post of mine was so sappy I think I should have signed it "luvmirren."

Posted by: alex the fangirrrl | July 16, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Why is it so quiet in here today? The only one posting today is luvlinsey. Where are byoolin, sasquatch, and the others who normally provide some entertaining commentary?

Posted by: James from the Block | July 16, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

James, they are over at the Mike Rowe thread.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

We're all on Lizard Island. Didn't you know? Watching Jamie Oliver do the gremolata dance...

Posted by: possum | July 16, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

here are some olympic hotties - both of the male and female persuasion.

Posted by: Xenda | July 16, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

here are some olympic hotties - both of the male AND female persuasion.

Posted by: Xenda (attempt 2) | July 16, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus writes"
"Beef, it's what's for dinner, alright, alright, alright..."

To hell with the beef entre'!

I'm skipping straight to the Helen Mirren dessert! 63 years old? With that body?

I'd kick Maggie Gyllenhaal out of bed for Dame Helen.

Ricky Gervais is peeved because the Swedes mistook him for Robert DeNiro instead of Dame Helen. But, as the Norwegians would tell you, what more would you expect from a bunch of senile, drunken Swedes?

Posted by: Sasquatch bows to Dame Helen | July 16, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"LUV YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: luvjen | July 16, 2008 1:33 PM"
Thirteen exclamation points. We may have a new record.

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 16, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Some of us are over at Dirda on Books weekly (or in my case, weakly) online chat.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 16, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

here are some olympic hotties - both of the male AND female persuasion.

Posted by: Xenda (attempt 2) | July 16, 2008 2:38 PM

anyone see the michael phelps pic? REPRESENT i say!

Posted by: WOW | July 16, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Xenda,
Someone needs to tell Natalie Coughlin that when she put on her bikini, she forgot her boob inserts. Of course, she could always get a referral to the cosmetic surgeon who did Amanda Beard's implants.

Posted by: Sasquatch, after looking at Olympic hotties | July 16, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I had no idea that Ron Wood's substance abuse problem was this bad.

"Before (the 2002 tour) then, it was fellow guitarist Keith Richards who tried to help him sober up, he said, sometimes drawing a knife or wielding a pistol in the process."

Ooh la la!

I wonder if they use weapons at the Cirque Lodge or Promises too.

Posted by: Mz Fitz | July 16, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Re: Olympic hotties, Amy Acuff can high jump me any day.

Posted by: Dorkus and his Olympic standards | July 16, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A DRUG PROBLEM #147:

When Keith Richards wields a gun or a knife at you in an attempt to sober you up.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 16, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see the Andy Dick story. He got arrested for sexual battery of a 17 year of girl and felony drug possession.

Posted by: Cleveland Brown | July 16, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I don't think there's anything wrong with Natalie Coughlin, of course I tend to date swimmer chicks, so maybe I'm biased.

Posted by: Dorkus | July 16, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Along with mug shot.

Posted by: Andy Dick story | July 16, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, did all of you (or maybe just two of you, I'm not going back to count) MJF questioners read the article??

"Fox's character, who uses a wheelchair, is the new boyfriend of Tommy's estranged wife Janet (Andrea Roth) and will be introduced in the fifth-season premiere in spring 2009. The episode's air date was not announced."

The character uses a wheelchair...Kinda paints the picture a little differently.

Posted by: WDC 21113 is wondering | July 16, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

i now an in love with michael phelps.

sorry my post isnt as hilarious as luvjen at 1:33.

Posted by: luvmichael | July 16, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Ok WHO used my name in vain? I totally didn't post that earlier post about soccer players. I have quietly going back to mostly lurking, catch up from last week's been tough!

Anyway, wasn't me...

Posted by: LTL | July 16, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

How come there were no soccer players in the olympic gallery?

(apologies to jakey poo).

Posted by: ? | July 16, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

quietly gone back... sheesh...

Posted by: LTL | July 16, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

James, I apologize: very occasionally, in the course of my duties at the Financial Services Company For Which I Work, I am required to, uh, "work."

Today is one of those days, and (except for the part where three other people went along with my recommendation that we call a supplier and tell him that, as requested, we *would* like a meeting with him, and that he'd better be prepared to tell us why, after his most recent letter, we should continue to do business with him) it's not been fun at all.

Posted by: But byoolin did enjoy the Andy Dick news and hopes Spade is next. | July 16, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Andy Dick...

17 year old girl? Girl? Really?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Byool', sounds like you could use a pitcher after work.

Posted by: Sasquatch offers to buy | July 16, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

What??

Byoolin had to take meetings today and make executive-level suggestions and therefore couldn't blog with us?

Owe, the humanity!

Sounds like your job is becomming too important in your life. I mean, just because they pay you a salary doesn't mean they can make unreasonable demands on you (like work).

'huff'

Posted by: Curmudgeon who just got out of a 2-hour meeting | July 16, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

At least your job didn't require you to stay up until 1:40 a.m. to watch a baseball game which your team didn't win. Grrrrr.
On the "up" side, I've been in pjs all day.

Posted by: methinks | July 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

methinks, I'm so glad someone finally mentioned last night's game. When they introduced the Hall of Famers, all I could think of was that Cal Ripken Jr. is still smokin' hot. Eck didn't look half shabby, either.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 16, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

In a fit of pique, I complained about working in the grand and glorious game of baseball. That goes against the code and for that I am deeply sorry.
Yes, Cal is lookin' good as is Eck.
Nosy, did you stay up until the bitter end?

Posted by: methinks | July 16, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 16, 2008 4:08 PM

Ripken ain't no Michael Phelps though!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Sasq is stirring up the celinedion over on On Parenting. Be on the lookout for MMs.

Posted by: Danger, Will Robinson | July 16, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Ripken ain't no Michael Phelps though!

Posted by: | July 16, 2008 4:13 PM

No, he's better.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Alas, methinks, I fell asleep after 9 innings. Had to get up early again, in order to work, and heard the game score on radio. Clearly my priorities are scrambled.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

No, Michael Phelps ain't Cal, but Cal probably couldn't have played as long at his position if he'd been built like Phelps. Okay, I promise not to bring up the grand and glorious game of baseball again.

Posted by: methinks | July 16, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

(sigh)

Posted by: Nosy Parker is now off in a reverie imagining how Cal R is built... | July 16, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Swimmer Dara Torres is the biggest hotty on the U.S. Olympic team and she is 41.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Somehow I don't think it's really Sasquatch over on OP writing as himself. There are, however, a couple of suspect entries that could possibly either he or Dorkus......

Posted by: Groovis the detective | July 16, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actress Katie Holmes will make a guest appearance on ABC's critically acclaimed "Eli Stone" this season, returning to U.S. network television in a role that will feature her singing and dancing, network executives said on Wednesday.

Posted by: breaking news | July 16, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Groovis, I've stayed away today, actually have been sort of putting in some work

Posted by: Dorkus | July 16, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus - someone posted over on OP as you...but it doesn't seem like something you'd write....

Posted by: you Maximii sis | July 16, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up on that. Wow, that troll is making me sound like a jerk over there.

Posted by: Dorkus M. | July 16, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

You 'n me both, Bub.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 16, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Katie Holmes singing and dancing... does she roller skate too? You know, in case Whoopi Goldberg breaks her ankle during her Xanadu rehersals?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 16, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

If Katie were in "The Wiz" or "Wicked" would that make Tom a FOD?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

dklrzu lztp cktyjoebf qfxprj kgwxhb stkbdrjqe trkmhug

Posted by: jnxt ylbrtqvxn | July 30, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

cplonm dlvgqoby bihtlvxr obfcx cmahpk mthvl otgre http://www.wbfid.mrvkcqtl.com

Posted by: gxsdl hfaqmbzir | July 30, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

pvsknrbcj gcfzxdqr ewoytbdh bsjnhrw knvds rkbf argks snfdza lvdurkf

Posted by: bpqw kyrodijf | July 30, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

vlxg nrktdosi auzsdwivj vqpalmxg itry vxngztiwp lywvi [URL]http://www.cvtlmby.qnhsg.com[/URL] myuvhtxco rdfotcj

Posted by: iydhk tvqdxoshp | July 30, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse