Posted at 7:52 PM ET, 07/24/2008

'Twilight' Time at Comic-Con

By Jen Chaney

The Twi-hards were in big-time squealing mode during the panel for "Twilight," the movie based on Stephenie Meyer's mega-popular series of vampire novels and due in theaters this December. In addition to sitting in on the Thursday afternoon panel -- at least what could be heard of it through the constant screams -- I also participated in a press round table with director Catherine Hardwicke, Meyer and several of the film's stars -- including Robert Pattinson, who plays vampire hottie Edward Cullen. (Oh, all right. Go ahead and scream.)

After the jump, a few tidbits for those of you who worship the beloved Bella and her blood-sucking friends.

-- Many of the actors who participated in the panel -- including Pattinson, Kristen Stewart (who plays Bella) and Cam Gigandet (vamp villain James) -- looked incredibly nervous as they sat at the front of 6,000-plus seat Hall H. Stewart bit her nails repeatedly, ran her fingers through her hair and seemed generally jittery every time someone in the crowd asked a question. (P.S. These questions were not hard. A sample: "I want to ask how it is to portray super-hot vampires.")

Pattinson was surprised by all the tween girls practically having a stroke because they were seated in the same enormous ballroom as their hottie. And Gigandot could barely utter a coherent sentence. Then again, he struggled with that during the round table, too. Yes, it's hard work pimping a vampire movie.

-- A portion of the climactic ballet-room battle between James and Edward was shown to (shocker) a whole lot of squealing. If the scene is any indication, Stewart should make a compellingly conflicted Bella. And Pattinson, who played Cedric in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," will make young girls scream. But we knew this.

-- When asked whether she will direct sequels based on the rest of the books in the series, Hardwicke said that remains to be seen. Edi Gathegi, who plays Laurent, told reporters in the round table that the studio, Summit Entertainment, wants to see how well the first one does before they commit to more.

-- A song from Muse will appear on the soundtrack. And Hardwicke hinted during the panel that Pattinson, a musician, might contribute a track as well.

-- Some big props for Taylor Lautner, who plays Jacob Black and already seems to have his own tween-girl fan base, too. (Lots of screaming for the 16-year-old.) As the other actors struggled with another softball question from a fan -- "What inspired the actors to do this project?" -- he hit a home run: "You guys are our inspiration. And we're looking forward to bringing your book to life." Yes, Taylor. This is what you say to the hardcore masses at Comic-Con. Well done.

-- And lastly, the most important question: Is Pattinson as hot as the literary version of Edward? Having been seated across from him at a small table, I can say he's definitely got a very pretty face. And during the press round table, when no one was shrieking at him, he was reasonably articulate if a little overwhelmed. He was dressed all in black and sported a 'do that looked artfully windblown. When one reporter asked how he gets his hair to stick up so perfectly, he said: "You just don't wash it. Ever."

But even the bad hygiene doesn't matter. As he may finally have realized today, when the movies comes out in December, Pattinson's handsome mug will be plastered on the bedroom walls of girls all over the world. The shrieking of the Twi-hards at Comic-Con confirms it.

By Jen Chaney  | July 24, 2008; 7:52 PM ET
Categories:  Comic-Con
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video Interview: 'Lost Boys: The Tribe'
Next: Morning Mix: Christian Bale Asks for Privacy; Paris Hilton Hits Comic-Con

Comments

Thanks to the fourth paragraph, you can find this article by googling "tween girls" and "pimping." This may attract something other than your target audience.

Posted by: byoolin also points to the word 'hardcore' later in the article. | July 25, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

That's it I'm going to have to read these books. But I'm fighting it tooth and nail, I swear....(the fight scene looked cool, you can watch it off the website which my 14 year old squealing cousin made me do.)

Posted by: PC | July 25, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Here's the thing with these books: they aren't very good, but they're completely addictive. It's bizarre. The characters are intriguing, and Bella (the main character) is the type of character that women of all ages can relate to. But the writing is very cliched and sometimes hard to get through with a straight face. Regardless, the books are fun and I admit to having read them several times each. I also have to admit, though, that I keep re-reading them partially to figure out how the author did it. There's nothing in particular that should make these books anything more than standard YA fiction. But she's sold millions of the damned things.

Posted by: Kate | July 25, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

While I can agree these are not literary masterpieces, I think they are truly relatable to so many young women. I'm 23 and completely wrapped up in the storyline, to hell with it YA classification, they're great books for any age. Again with the glories of Harry Potter, it has opened a lot of people up to reading again, which I think should be the goal of any YA book, make the youngins' want more! Maybe they'll want to read Wuthering Heights the series quotes often because of it.

Posted by: SneakyP | July 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Earlier this month I did a little guilty pleasure shopping. I bought some trashy celebrity gossip mags, and on a total whim, I got a copy of Twilight. I finished the book in a few days. I didn't love it - the main characters are no Buffy and Angel -but I could not put it down. It was oddly compelling if not completely enjoyable. Now I am contemplating reading the second one even though I don't think that I would enjoy it. Is vampire mind control compelling me to buy the whole series?

Posted by: Renee | July 25, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

OK, I admit it: I've read all three Twilight books. I'm even - yikes! - looking forward to the fourth, which comes out next week (is it bad that I know that?). I think compelling is a pretty fitting description of the series. The darn things suck you in even though, intellectually, you're sitting there scratching your head. Or at least I was. But eventually I gave up and went with it. Guess I still have some tween angst in my system.

I blame this on the 17-year-old intern at my office. Also, maybe, the fact that Robert Pattison is HOTT.

Posted by: kpug | July 25, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I've not read the Twilight books. Yet. I gave up the whole sexy vampire genre after Anne Rice ruined Lestat & crew somewhere into Queen of the Damned or even earlier.

But hearing what others here have said, I may have to indulge.

If you dig vampires, I highly suggest Christopher Moore's "Bloodsucking Fiends."

Posted by: Bored @ work | July 25, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I think the thing about the series isn't so much that it's a literary masterpiece, as it is a good story. As in, a literal good yarn you'd hear told over the radio or made up on a car trip as a young kid. It leaves you wanting to know what happens next, and has the infinitely addible quality of an oral history.

The movie, for all intensive purposes, seems to be following that same *ahem* vein. Followers of the story will enjoy it, most likely. I'm just curious if anyone else will be interested...

As a side note, that panel interview was insane. If the videos on YouTube have even half of the screaming right, I can't imagine how any of you can hear anymore.

Posted by: ms.isabella | July 25, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Twilight is so awesome ! And the review is very good. All the French fans love Twilight too and hope to have more news and advertising about the movie in our country.

Posted by: Vince | July 25, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

How is it that this particular website has a faithful following of mature readers who can admit to enjoying the series without filling the gaps with "OME-Edward-is-so-hawt-why-doesn't-he-marry-me-instead-OME"? To those of you who feel you have long since passed the age to indulge in "Snickers" literature, I recommend the series if only to remind yourself what it feels like, if even only momentarily, to get so absorbed in a work of fiction that you're almost tempted to call in sick to work. Not that I did anything of the sort. At all.

Oh, and I did manage to get Wuthering Heights in as well after reading the series, since it got skipped over in my lengthy English Literature career. That's a whole different post.

Posted by: Mary | July 25, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to agree with some people. Twilight (and the other books) aren't jaw dropping. They aren't masterpieces. They're completely ordinary books which I'm sure anyone could've written. But for some reason... I don't know why... but they're addicting! And I must admit that I am a Twilighter.

Posted by: Megan | July 25, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for giving Taylor props! No one is really talking about him, what with all the screaming "Robert! Boxers or briefs!" comments going on, but Taylor seemed very well put together. I wish they showed more footage of him. I know Jacob Black isn't too big a character in Twilight, but Taylor seems to have already come into his own in preparing for Eclipse.

Good job!

Posted by: Aubrey | July 25, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

It is amazingly refreshing to read a mature review of the comic con event for Twilight. I, too, love the series (even though I am not YA). I got hooked because I try to know what my kids are reading, and after hearing squeals of delight as my daughter and her friends discussed Edward, I figured I should check this out! I agree that they are not literature at its best, but they are compelling. I believe that Stephenie Meyer has struck a cord with all age groups because of the forbidden romance in the books. How nice that it isn't all about instant gratification. There are serious choices being made - vampires who don't feed on humans and couples who don't just jump into a sexual relationship because they have good chemistry.
I only hope that when I take my 2 teenage daughters to the midnight showing of this movie on Dec. 12 (a promise that they wheedled out of me months ago), the squealing fans will not make it impossible to enjoy the movie.
Oh - and after somehow missing "Wuthering Heights" throughout my education, I have now read it, and have handed it to my daughters to read. Kudos to SM for bringing other great literature back into the public psyche.

Posted by: Tina | July 25, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

i must say that those books were completely amazing! i love every one of them. and i'm dying for the movie to come out! i just hope its as good as the books are...

btw-i'm really looking forward to the 4th book! :)

p.s.-i'm gonna rape edward.

Posted by: brittany 88 | July 25, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I do love the books, of course. I'm counting down the days to the fourth, and anticipating the movie. I draw fan-art, and I watch for the latest updates for the book and movie. However, Twilight is not my entire life. I love other books too, everything from the best modern day fantasies, to the oldest classics. I am a little offended that many people think of the Twilight community as a bunch of squealing 14 year old fangirls, because that is terribly innacurate and a little degrading. There are fans of all genders and ages; people who can see deeper into the books and really extract the deep, mature themes within. People who understand that Edward Cullen does not create Twilight, now make it what it is. So, hopefully, people can start to shake off the steriotypes and see the full picture. :)

Posted by: Jessica | July 25, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I read Twilight while looking for a good book for my teenage daughter to read. Whoops. Mom's a goner. Stephenie Meyer's characters are compelling, the story is thrilling, and the vampire mythology is fresh and different. Addicted? Yes. I give this book to all my friends. Can't wait for Breaking Dawn so I can get back to my life and stop obsessing.

Posted by: Chris | July 25, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

wow, i have sympathy for pattison, i dont know how he's going to handle all of those 12 year old obsessors.

Posted by: A Person | July 25, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww he doesnt wash his hair thats just nasty
gross god no major turn off
god no
ewwwwwwwww

Posted by: Melissa | July 25, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Twilight wasn't written to be like a piece of literature similar to Ernest Hemingway's or William Shakespeare's works. Stephenie Meyer wrote them with entertainment in mind, and I am grateful for that. She is a wonderful author. I did not expect the twilight series to be so addictive. I am literally in love with the series and am aniticipating the fourth book with much joy. For all the people who are deluded into thinking that all the fans are young teenage girls that read this book are completely inaccurate. Us fans range from guys to moms to grandmothers (yes, grandmothers). There is even a group called the twilight moms. Don't stereotype; I think this book can be read by all ages and either gender, and also enjoying it while being read. Give twilight a try. It was a fulfilling book that has very mature and full-fledged themes within. I have probably read it at least four times. I am also anxious for the arrival of Twilight the movie. Many people opinionate that the cast of the movie was chosen completely wrong, but the director cannot please everyone. We pictured the characters in different ways; I am satisfied with them even producing a movie. Don't critize the movie so much when it is still a good four and a half months away. I believe that this movie will have the same effect as Harry Potter has with people. Them seeing the movies made them want to read the books, and I think the same thing will happen with this.

Posted by: m.Twilight | July 25, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

twilight- not a masterpiece? sure it may not be like shakespeare, but i think the characters and storyline are way more compelling than any other story ive read. thw writing is so good in my opinion because you get a great look into the characters. they are totally the best books ive ever read and i cant wait for the fourth book. to anyone who hasnt read it-- read it... soon!

Posted by: Alexis | July 25, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Good article!I though it was cute that Rob dodn't expect this much attention...neither did Kristen(who by the way is an amzing actress). I feel sorry for Rob...I don't think he has ever had a million screaming girls wanting him(I have to admit I'm one of those screaming girls.) i don't think he knew what he was getting himself into when he signed on for Twilight. Did he know that a few short months after filming that he would be sitting in front of over 6,000 screaming fans chanting his name? I don't think so.

Stephenie's writing is amazing! Her characters are so real they come to life and they are true to their time period. she's one of those authors that started as a nobody and then turned into global phenomen.

On accident I read new moon first then Twilight. When I finshed Twilight I was in love with the series and begged my librart to get Eclipse and then getting about 40+ people at my school to read it.

The main draw teens have to Twilight is that its sorta a modren Romeo and Juliet, that you can actually understand(I read Romeo and Juliet and was totaly lost, poetry is kinda confusing to me). Also the character is just a NORMAL teenage girl. She doesn't want to be admired or trendy, she's the opposite shy, quiet and to herself.

And anyone out there thinking Twilight is just for those screaming "tweens" (which is a word I hate with my guts), your wrong! people of all ages love it and guys too(have you seen the T-Shirt "Real Men Read Twilight"). Most guys just think Twilight is just one of those sappy romances that have girls drooling(my brother thinks it is nothing and retarded)

SQEEEEEEE!(yes...that was my fan girl scream) I can't wait till the 4th book(comes out in barely 7 days!!!!!!) or the movie!

Posted by: katrina | July 25, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

GO ON!GIVE TWILIGHT A CHANCE!!!!!!!

TWILIGTH TWILIGHT TWILIGHT!

Posted by: Twilighters | July 26, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

im so tired of articles reporting Twilight as a tween series. i dont know anyone younger than 15 who've read these. they AREN'T for tweens. they're for at least 14 year olds and up.

Posted by: jennifer | July 26, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

I am another adult who absolutely loves there series of books. I am currently reading them with my 13 year old and it is amazing the conversations we have because of these books. There is so many aspects of the books that can be talked about. Stephenie is an amazing writer. I know this because I never was a huge reader, I now can not put books down because of her. What a gift! There are some many more adults who have written on here that sum up exactly how I feel. This is not just a teen thing, that is the beauty of these books. She wrote Twilight not knowing that teens would ever read them. Anyways, kudos for the spotlight on Taylor too, what a great guy! He was so poised and wonderful. He answered the questions very maturely. He was one of my favorites on the panel, and one of them I was so excited to see! I know from all the coverage how lucky I was to be there.

Posted by: Amy | July 26, 2008 1:41 AM | Report abuse

I think that a major attribute to the success of the Twilight Saga is the fact that it transcends age and race (i cannot really say gender over here though). It's no literary masterpiece but it is sure as hell addictive.
I'm a huge fan and love the books to bits. It's almost becoming a cliche now, but one just can't resist it (unless you have the whole y chromosome thing working for you).

Posted by: Nini | July 26, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

And if I may add, I watched the videos and Taylor Lautner- I think- deals with the pressure the best, his face is always composed and I have to say, he knows his audience well. ("we're looking forward to bringing your book to life").
I'm no *Jacob* fan, but Taylor Lautner was hell alot better than Rob and Kristen when it came to T A L K I N G- forming sentences, you know, that sort of a thing. But one can't really judge them, seeing there were over six thousand girls shrieking there (mind you, I'd probably let out a shriek or two myself if I saw them in real life).

Posted by: Nini | July 26, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Seems I'm not alone in absolutely adoring the Twilight series, at first almost in spite of myself.

I read the first book and was intrigued by the characters - those who call Bella a weak and anti-feminist character make me furious, she strikes me as a normal, conflicted, and sometimes almost jaded girl who finds herself having to re-evaluate her stances when this momentous relationship develops - and also by the storyline, which went from contemplative and gradual to tense and angst-ridden in the space of two pages. The same style or feel is consistent throughout New Moon and Eclipse.

The writing didn't strike me as great (I've actually found typos in Eclipse as I re-read it yesterday in preparation for the release of Breaking Dawn) but, as Meyer herself has said on more than one occasion, she's a story-teller, and doesn't necessarily aspire to being, specifically, a technical writer.

I love the series, and am glad that I've found it, maybe even more so given small doubts I had in the beginning. Essentially, what makes the Twilight series so popular, in spite of it not seemingly having "anything particularly special" about it, is that it's a really, really good read - a ripping yarn, if you will.

I'm seriously looking forward to Breaking Dawn, and the Twilight movie. I think a story like this should prove as popular in big-screen translation as it is in its current form.

Thanks, Stephenie - you've got a grateful fan in me.

Posted by: Jocelyn | July 27, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the paragraph about Taylor Lautner - while mots girls my age are screaming over the big Edward Cullen actor, Robert Pattinson, they forget the less popular actors like Taylor, who I think will do a great job. He is definitely well-spoken and coherent. And, unlike some of the others, this is his big break, and had taken a lot of time and effort to portray Jacob Black perfectly.

Posted by: Virginia | July 27, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Finally the media is catching on to twilight.

Posted by: lindsay | July 27, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

not a fan of vampires?

You'll become one after reading this freaking book and watching hte movie.Its not just about vampires.its MORE than that.its MUCH,much more than that.

I wasn't a fan.I hated vampires.But I gave it a try.

and now,I'm a hardcore twilighter.

WOOHOO GO TWILIGHT!

Posted by: shaz | July 28, 2008 3:33 AM | Report abuse

not a fan of vampires?

I wasn't a fan.I hated vampires.But I gave it a try.

and now,I'm a hardcore twilighter.

WOOHOO GO TWILIGHT!

Posted by: shaz | July 28, 2008 3:33 AM | Report abuse

Um,

Everyone in my school reads twilight.And we're all 9 or above.I'm 12.

We're from malaysia.

And I think those that are critisizing the movie without giving it a chance,

are going to.

regret.

it.

WE LOVE TWILIGHT!

Posted by: itsgonnakickass | July 28, 2008 3:38 AM | Report abuse

The "Knowing" and "Push" panels, which we had to sit through before watching Twilight, were complete snoozers.

Posted by: Robbie Chan | July 28, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Glad I was nowhere near this panel.

I think it's telling that a good many of the Twi-hard commenters above appear to be illiterate.

Posted by: DMS | July 28, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

i''m with many of you. I am an adult (High School English teacher) who is currently falling for the Twilight series. I picked up the first book for *professional* reasons: any book that gets my sophomores squealing at 7:30am, I need to know about. *Professional research* shall remain my reason for reading these books to the public-no one needs to know that I, too, don't breath when Edward looks at Bella so intently...ahem, but I digress. I agree; maybe this isn't *great* literature, but what then *do* you call a book that you simply can't put down?? Thank you, Stephanie Meyer.

Posted by: Vampire newbie | July 29, 2008 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey to anyone that reads this i think i need a little help ok so i have this huge delema(bad spelling) ok so i am like the biggest fan of the twilight series i have read the books like over and over again i am 14 i am not sure if i should see the movie i just dont want to ruin the book for me how some movies do that but i also really baddly want to see it so to anyone who would like to reply to me and give me your opion my email is twilight489@yahoo.com

talks alot to any advice i get thanks jess

Posted by: Jessica | July 29, 2008 3:44 AM | Report abuse

talks alot to any advice i get thanks jess

Posted by: Jessica | July 29, 2008 3:44 AM | Report abuse

talks alot to any advice i get thanks jess

Posted by: Jessica | July 29, 2008 3:44 AM | Report abuse

if ur going to write a column, at least do some solid research beforehand; like learing how the author, STEPHENIE MEYER's, name is spelled and the rest of the cast you spelled wrong. and another correction, "Twi-hard" was beat out by "Twilightlers". so if you're going to refer us fans by anything other than fans, it should be "Twilighters." there was a reason for the voting between the 2 titles.

Posted by: Chanta | July 30, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

okay so i never really wanted to read twilight. i saw it was written in first person and i really don't like first person because i like to get in every characters head. also it was about vampires. come on, it was gonna be cheesy. my friend kept pushing me to read it and i kept putting off. she finally stopped nagging. on a whim i bought the book, stayed up all night reading it, and then became depressed because i had no access to a bookstore to get the second book. i finished all three in less than a week and stood in line for an hour at barnes and noble to get the fourth at midnight on the release date. these books are completely addictive because like it says above many times, bella is such a relatable character. im eighteen and i could not believe how fast i got hooked. the story is undeniably breathtaking and has everything that could attract me to a series. romance, action, suspense, with a little fantasy thrown in there. i believe the reason i adore the series so much is because there is a part of me that always longed for that guy in my life who absolutely loved me and so i guess you could say i lived vicariously through bella as i was reading the series. i cannot wait for the movie to come out so i can see my favorite series brought to life! i am so excited about all the actors picked because i think they will do a phenomenal job portraying the characters from the twilight series.

Posted by: Keri | August 4, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Twilight is going to be a awesome movie!!! I read the series 4 times. And i know that sounds obsessive and it is, but i love the series and i cant wait to read the fourth book!!!!! : )

Posted by: Courtney | August 11, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse