Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 08/11/2008

Britney Spears: Ready for Her Close-Up?

By Liz Kelly

Brit turned in a respectable, and ratings-friendly, performance on CBS sitcom 'How I Met Your Mother' in April. (AP/CBS)

If anyone doubted it, when Britney Spears took to the stage at last year's MTV Video Music Awards and proved she could still deliver a riveting show. Just not the one she intended. Almost a year later, we're still cringing a little inside. The numb performance, the lip-synching, the missteps, the barely-hanging-in-there weave, the costume that didn't quite fit -- all combined in a perfect storm of utter wrongness to seal Spears's reputation as a complete whackdoodle.

Who would have believed that barely a year later, we would find ourselves presented with a new-and-improved Britney -- the product of strict control by dad Jamie, a rumored $20K a month on personal training, one-on-one counseling from fellow embattled celeb Mel Gibson and -- we hope -- lots of therapy and SSRIs. Gone are Brit's daily run-ins with paparazzi, her midnight trips to the convenience store, her tense mommy moments. She's come to a custody agreement with the K-Fed-Ex, she's back in the studio, she looks good-ish and she's even able to poke fun at last year's fiasco.

All of which leads to today's poll question. Is Brit ready for a return to the scene of the crime? Namely, should she peform at this year's VMAs -- fast approaching on Sept. 7. If she is prepped, a spot-on performance could be a PR coup. The flip side, of course, is that another flop could seal her fate as a has-been.

By Liz Kelly  | August 11, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Britney Spears, Celebrities, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: McCain, Obama Vie for Angelina's Endorsement
Next: Morning Mix: Cruise Role Rewritten for Angelina Jolie

Comments

If this poll had been in US Magazine:

"Should Britney Spears perform at this year's Video Music Awards?"

* Yes, she's ready for a triumphant return to form.
* Not yet. Maybe she'll be good to go come Grammy time.
* No way. She's not to be trusted with a mike and a bustier.
* It's time to retire, Brit.
* Click here to see upskirt photos of Britney!

Posted by: byoolin | August 11, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Just like Favre (hell, Michael Jordan, even), I don't WANT to see her make a comeback. Even if it's successful, it still leads to "yeah, but..."

Posted by: 23112 | August 11, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Even last year when we thought all was lost for Britney the person - Britney the popstar managed to do pretty well with her album. I don't think she's out for the count yet. However why rush things on the VMA front? I'm pulling for you Brit-Brit!

Posted by: sjcpeach | August 11, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Geez, Brit needs more handlers than a scientology convert.

If they keep strict control over her, maybe the Grammys. But, to go back to the scene of the crime will just invite comparisons to last year's performance. Which will put it back in everyone's minds. Not something you want to do.

Posted by: ep | August 11, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

This post was put up at 10:42 and almost an hour later, there are only 4 comments (not including mine...and the mezzanine). I think that in itself is pretty telling. She's kept a low(er) profile and maybe people want to see if she's able to pull off a comeback. She certainly doesn't need the added stress of performing at the VMAs and inviting comparisons from last year's ..er.. performance, as ep said.
Just take it easy, Britney. One day at a time, etc., etc, and so forth.

Posted by: methinks | August 11, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

clever marketing ploy on the part of mtv. now everybody will tune in to see if she blows up.

Posted by: b | August 11, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I would like to suggest that Jamie Spears go to England and be appointed conservator (game keeper?) of Amy Winehouse...

Posted by: sunnydaze | August 11, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sunnydaze | August 11, 2008 12:00 PM

-----------------------------------------

I second this idea. Her own father seems to more of a enabler. I saw her concert DVD a few weeks ago, though she seemed a little buzzed during the show, the extras show she's very bright and funny and before she started with the beehive and makeup, actually kinda pretty.

Posted by: luvamy | August 11, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

What is it with dads and their poptartular daughters?

Miley + dad = blech!

Brit + dad = yay!

Amy + dad = wine house

Can dads be trusted?

yuh just never know . . .

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget about Papa Joe Simpson, Curmudgeon (although I would personally like to forget about him). Creeptastic.

Posted by: mal | August 11, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The father of the Jackson Family is pretty creepy, too.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Although a little different, let's not forget Joe Jackson and his daughters Janet and LaToya!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

At the risk of waking the LuvLindsey, Lilo and Michael Lohan. Sponge. Creep. etc.

Posted by: ep | August 11, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

shhhh, ep!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

And Sponge Bob and his son Patrick!

(or is that gay lover???)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic. If you want to beat me up, feel free."

Posted by: Is that you Britney? | August 11, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:24 PM

There are 3 daughters. Everyone always forget poor Rebbie.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Rebbie is really Michael. That's why you never see them together.

Posted by: b | August 11, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Y'know, if I were Rebbie Jackson, and everyone kept forgetting that I was the sister of LaToya, Janet, and Michael, I'm not sure that I'd necessarily see that as a bad thing.

Posted by: Arlington, VA | August 11, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Rebbie had the good sense to marry early and get the heck away from that freak show family. Last report, she is doing quite well financially since she never depended on Michael to support her.

Posted by: ep | August 11, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"Britney Spears: Ready for Her Close-Up?"

Forgive me, but didn't that already happen, ages ago?

Posted by: BxNY | August 11, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happens to Donna, she's so stupid she deserves it. Darwin rules!

Posted by: LMAO | August 11, 2008 4:46 PM

Dont be cruel. How would you like it if your husband had an affair with your brother?

Posted by: Nancy | August 11, 2008 4:48 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

How would you like it if your husband had an affair with your brother?

Posted by: Nancy | August 11, 2008 4:48 PM

///////////////////////////

I'd take pictures and put them on the Internet!

Posted by: To Nancy | August 11, 2008 5:08 PM

If my husband and my brother were together - I like the take-pictures-post-on-Internet-idea, but I'm sure I'd be laughing too hard and drop the camera.

My SIL would *NOT* be amused though, and my brother would be lucky if he lived to regret it.

Posted by: Sue | August 11, 2008 5:37 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Yes, she's ready for a triumphant return to form

Posted by: anonomous | August 11, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Look, asshat, no one gives a rats patootie about what's going on over on OP. Please stay over there and keep the asinine comments with you.

Posted by: To: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 6:04 PM | August 11, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Britney, who? Big yawn. I think our little poptarts' time has come and gone.

Now, if we could only get some of our other talented? little divas off the media radar....

Posted by: pnina | August 12, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Britney had someone who cared for her, personally. Compare her situation to Elvis Presley who did not.

Posted by: Terryeo | August 12, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh please let Britney's 15 minutes of fame be over with! The only reason people are watching her is to see if she will have another melt down. In my opinion she has little talent and I wish she would just go away.

Posted by: Extended Lunch Hour | August 12, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse