Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 08/28/2008

Double Take: Chevy or Cheney?

By Liz Kelly

Just who is this middle-aged, balding white guy? (AP/Rocky Mountain News)

This morning, while scanning wire photo thumbnails in my neverending quest to bring you the Images That Matter, I came upon what -- at first glance -- appeared to be an anomaly in the pix streaming out of Denver's Democratic National Convention.

At first glance, it appeared to be evidence of hell freezing over or, to be more specific, of a typically bespectacled and dour Vice President Dick Cheney sitting in the crowd during President Clinton's Wednesday night speech.

It was only when I clicked on the full-size image (below) that the subject came in to focus as Chevy Chase, who -- despite starring in "Spies Like Us" -- is possessed of slightly less power, and we hope a better ticker, than his executive branch doppleganger. Still, the resemblance is scary enough to warrant our recommendation that Oliver Stone immediately recast Chase as Cheney in his upcoming George W. Bush biopic, "W." It's not like Chevy has anything else going on and -- as much as we loved him in "Mr. Holland's Opus" -- Richard Dreyfuss just doesn't do it for me.

Are we 100 percent sure this isn't Cheney? Yes. When asked about his reaction to the announcement of Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del) as Obama's running mate, Chase said something our outgoing VP probably only says when he shoots a friend in the face: "I wet my pants."

Ah, just Chevy Chase. (AP/Rocky Mountain News)

Updated Daily: Visit our gallery of celebrity conventioneers showing their support for Obama this week in Denver.

By Liz Kelly  | August 28, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Michael Phelps to Host 'SNL' Season Opener
Next: Morning Mix: David Duchovny Seeks Treatment for Sex Addiction

Comments

But how similar are their penis sizes?

Posted by: possum | August 28, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Ooops. Sorry Grammar Police. I think I should have said:
How similar IS their penis size.

Posted by: possum | August 28, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm trying this again, because the Post censors didn't like it the first time:
***********************

I think you're all fu#@ed in the head. We're ten hours from the f&%#ing fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fu&%$ing fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your a-holes! I've got to be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose! Praise Marty Moose!

Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.

Posted by: Groovis thinks Vacation | August 28, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Coming next summer: Fletch has a Heart Attack

Posted by: Dorkus | August 28, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Nahh, Chevy still has more hair.

From the photo gallery. When did the guys in Everclear get so old?

Posted by: EricS | August 28, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

For a second there, I thought that Chevy was dressed up like Cheney on purpose. Upon further reflection it dawned on me that he just looks like that.

You don't suppose he's gearing up to do the SNL Thursday night show do you?

Posted by: Stuck@Work | August 28, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Possum, thanks for the morning laugh.

When I first saw the picture I wondered what Cheney was doing there as well.

Posted by: petal | August 28, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I said the same thing around 9:50 pm EST after Bill's speech, when C-SPAN showed Chevy walking around.

I do believe that Mr. Chase may be taller.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 28, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Ty Webb: Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball. You're not being the ball Chevy.

Ty Webb: A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish. And I ate it.

Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By girth.

Posted by: Dorkus sings I'm alright... | August 28, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

There are a lot of lessons we want to learn out of this process in terms of what works. I think we are in fact on our way to getting on top of the whole Katrina exercise.

Conservation may be a sign of personal virtue but it is not a sufficient basis for a sound, comprehensive energy policy.

I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency.

Oh, you can't think I'd do this on purpose? Look... I tied him to the rear bumber while I was packing the car. It was very confusing. I must have forget he was still tied up back there. I'm very sorry, I feel terrible

Posted by: Cheney or Chevy? | August 28, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Cheney?!

If that thought had occurred to me when the camera panned across Chevy's face last night, I might very well have thrown something at the televizzle.

"...and pretty soon, we were both jumpin' up and down, yellin' 'Kill! Kill! Kill!' and a Sergeant came in, pinned a medal on me, said, 'You're our boy.'"

Posted by: byoolin | August 28, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Groovis's 10:56 quote sounded like Cheney to me... Wasn't that part of one his updates to Congress on progress in Iraq?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

That look on his face does sort of look like he just wet his pants.

Posted by: hodie | August 28, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

In another sign of the impending demise of Art Alexakis - I was sitting next to my boyfriends son, while he watched some terrible show on one of those kids channels - you know the kind, kids are smart and cool, parents are idiots and teachers are weird... and I look over at the tv and the 'wacky music teacher' is having a conversation with the superubercool show star kid and I say - that looks like the lead singer of Everclear... yep it was him. he was on some terrible disney (nickalodeon?)show...

I felt old and unhip.

Posted by: LTL - 'so much for the afterglow' | August 28, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I was anon at 11:24.

But I could post the standard anonymous disclaimers:

-You all think you're funny, but you're not.

-Liz needs to delete your posts.

-Insert random quote from another blog here.

-This is supposed to be about celebrities and you suck for something, I forget what.

Posted by: epony | August 28, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Knew it wasn't the veep. No horns or surrounding vortex of black nothingness.

Posted by: b | August 28, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

They DO look alike!

Posted by: Sully says Hallelujah, holy sh##, where's the tylenol? | August 28, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Help! The link is taking me to yesterday's Morning Mix; where can I find the gallery?

Posted by: m.a.t. | August 28, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Chevy Chase looks like Cheney, Josh Lucas looks clinically insane...I'm real proud those celebrities are representing my party well.

Posted by: Sully | August 28, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Hahaha. I do not think I'm insane. That was just a case of the site repeating my words.

Posted by: Sully | August 28, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

He looks like he's about to eat the camera.
"Mmmm! Zoom lenses!"

Posted by: Bawlmer | August 28, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Obviously it's Chevy. Had it been Cheney the dark side of the force would have melted those cameras (and probably cameramen).

Posted by: jes | August 28, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

WHOA, Chevy! Time to back away from the Roy Rogers Fixin's Bar, buddy! Is he hiding someone (or someones) in his jowls?

Posted by: td is td -- and you're not! | August 28, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

M.a.t. the link is in yesterday's morning mix.

Posted by: hodie | August 28, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

And from the looks of the Chevy photo in the updated Celebrity Conventioneers gallery, it looks like a third someone is hiding in his chins.

By the way, has anyone seen the Jonas Brothers lately? They're OK, right?

Posted by: td | August 28, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: m.a.t. | August 28, 2008 11:33 AM

m.a.t., the link is within the morning mix, click on this "Photo Gallery: Celebrity Conventioneers"

Posted by: jake e. poo | August 28, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

All I got on the Chevy Chase front is:

LOOK! DEFENSELESS BABIES!!

Posted by: Bored @ work | August 28, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Grow that side hair longer -- I see the lead in "Oliver Stone's Ben Franklin."

Posted by: td goes back to the same well again | August 28, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

SNL, Cheney, Chevy.....it all starts to make sense......

Posted by: Groovis wonders if Cheney would strap his aunt to the top of the car | August 28, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sully | August 28, 2008 11:41 AM

Oh good. I was beginning to wonder which party you were referencing.

Posted by: jes | August 28, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

*****

Only if it was tilted slightly and water poured over a towel covering her face.

Posted by: byoolin thinks Uncle Dick would do that for fun. | August 28, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

*****

Only if it was tilted slightly and water poured over a towel covering her face.

++++

OMG! what about forced eating of doggie urine soaked sandwiches?

Posted by: bflo gal | August 28, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin is at the top of his game today.

Thanks, Byoolin, my sinuses are expereincing theraputic cleansing but my screen looks as if a troll setup housekeeping.

Posted by: Curmudgeon sez bravo | August 28, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Only if it was tilted slightly and water poured over a towel covering her face.

Byoolin shoots... and he scores!

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 28, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Finally! The perfect politics-celebrity nexus.

Posted by: Lurkie-loo | August 28, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Chevy looks a heck of a lot like my brother-in-law. Oh god, that's scary.

Posted by: possum | August 28, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else worried that Chase, who played Ford on SNL, looks like Cheney, who was Ford's Chief Of Staff?

Whoa.

Posted by: Luckily, byoolin is still mesmerized by Amanda's shiny goggles. | August 28, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The pic has to be Chevy - there are no horns protruding from the head.

Posted by: YWN | August 28, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't Nancy on the verge of tears over the meanness that people on this blog are showing to Chevy Chase just because he got old and didn't have "work" done on his face, or get hair plugs or a toupee? Getting old, now that's something to cry about.

Posted by: old geezer | August 28, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

give her time, geezer. She's over complaining on the other site right now.

Posted by: hodie agrees aging is not for sissies | August 28, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

just because he got old and didn't have "work" done on his face..

Posted by: old geezer | August 28, 2008 1:46 PM

***************

How do you know? Maybe he deliberately wanted to look more like Dick Cheney...

Posted by: Groovis wants to look more like Grace Kelly...or Helen Mirren | August 28, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

***

See, Dorkus? Grace Kelly or Helen Mirren. Not Julia Roberts or those beach bums. And I'll bet you a freezer full of gorilla suit & roadkill that 'Squatch agrees with me.

Posted by: byoolin's just sayin'. | August 28, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Clinton is no longer the president so do not address him or refer to him as such. Former presidents are addressed/referred as "former president so-and-so". Etiquette police over and out.

Posted by: Irish Fox | August 28, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree that there is a resemblance, but even without the enlarged view, I could tell it wasn't Cheney. Apart from the absence of horns noted by some other posters, the key, for me, is in the eyes. The expression is bemused, but you can tell there is life and perhaps a spark of wit behind those eyes. Like you'd associate with Chevy. Cheney, not so much.

Posted by: Wasatch Tom | August 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Wasatch Tom: Chevy's eyes make him look like someone's slightly bemused, not-quite-elderly uncle. Papa Dick couldn't pull off that look if his life depended on it.

Posted by: BxNY | August 28, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Caption for the above pic: Chevy Chase gives conventioneer 'evil eye' for mistaking him for VEEP.

Another clue it isn't Cheney, no MIBs with wires hanging out of their ears surrounding him.

Posted by: hodie | August 28, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin's just sayin'. | August 28, 2008 2:20 PM

******************************************

I got nothing against Grace Kelly or Helen Mirren. I'm a big fan of women with curves.

Can I suggest Heidi Klum as a compromise?

Posted by: Dorkus who would mind looking a bit more like Carey Grant | August 28, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

From the photo gallery. When did the guys in Everclear get so old?

Posted by: EricS | August 28, 2008 11:05 AM
____________________________________

Apparently, incessant whining about one's absent father will age you prematurely.

Posted by: Nick | August 28, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

You want a real compromise?

How about we each show Grace, Helen, Heidi, Julia, Misty May and I-don't-even-remember-her-name a night on the town, and then - this is the good part - we say we'll call them, but we only call Grace, Helen, Heidi, one of the others and Nancy. The two we don't call will be heartbroken and Nancy will be devastated that we used her in our misogynistic schemes.

Posted by: byoolin will get started on finding a place to live after Mrs. b throws him out. | August 28, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Irish Fox, but I have to disagree with your post, at least in part. I think you are correct that former Presidents are commonly identified as such in the third person, e.g., in a newspaper article. However, I think it is customary to address public servants and military officers using the title of the highest office they attained, even after they have retired. Ergo, if you happen to run into him, the proper way to address former President Clinton is "Mr. President," not, as you would have it, "Mr. Former President."

Posted by: Wasatch Tom | August 28, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Can I suggest Heidi Klum as a compromise?

Two words Selma Hayek.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Wasatch Tom, Irish Fox is right - although the "Mr. President" form is widely used, it's not, strictly speaking, correct. A former President should be introduced as "The Honorable William Jefferson Clinton," and addressed as "Mr. Clinton."

One such source is at http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001618.html

Miss Manners also opined in the pages of this newspaper that there can be only one Mr. President...

Posted by: byoolin regrets that he will be unable to follow these rules if he ever meets W. | August 28, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Miss Manners:

"Perhaps this is the place to say once again that American protocol dictates that only one person at a time can hold the title of president of the United States. Former presidents should never be so addressed, although they have even taken to calling one another that. Miss Manners would have thought that having reached that position would surely have cured anyone of status anxiety."

Posted by: byoolin | August 28, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Yea! byoolin - another Miss Manners fan!

I think you can refer to him as Governor Clinton b/c that was his last position prior to being president.

Oh - I meant his last job. I don't know about his position.

Posted by: Amelia | August 28, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: possum | August 28, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the Post website today? Slow to load, and loses Posts.

Maybe the name should be changed to washingtonpostagedue.com.

Props to Byool for the Alice's Restaurant quote and for his his bikini preferences. I second them as well as the nomination of Salma Hayek.

Posted by: Sasquatch looks at the 27 8x10 color glossy photos | August 28, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Possum relates,

"I once called a European ambassador "Mr. Ambassador" instead of "Your Excellency" (try saying that fast over a glass of white wine). He was pissed."

------------------------------------------

Ask His Excellency to address you as "Your Holiness".

Posted by: Saquatch genuflects to kiss possum's ring | August 28, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

BTW. The correct way to address Vice President Cheney is not "Mr. Vice President." It's Dickwad.

Posted by: possum | August 28, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Possum, I didn't know that we could write Dickwad in here, especally in reference to Dickwad Cheney. I'll have to be mindful of my Dickwad references, particularly with respect to that Dickwad Vice President, Dickwad Cheney.

Did I mention that Cheney's a Dickwad?

Posted by: Sasquatch repeats himself | August 28, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Sas, don't forget Tricky Dickwad Nixon.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 28, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

or, is that "The Honorable Dickwad"?

nope, no honor there . .

Posted by: Mudge | August 28, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe washingtonpostagedue.com wasn't already taken.

And, yes, of course Salma Hayek.

But not Alice. You can get anything you want - 'cept Alice - at Alice's restaurant.

Posted by: byoolin thinks it's starting to look like a Russ Meyer film in here. | August 28, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

We're leaning so far left in here I think I may fall over. Let's even this up a bit, shall we, anyone remember Slick Willy. He was great last night, was he not? (oops leaning left again)

Posted by: sez me | August 28, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

You may call Mrs. Cheney Incontinentia Buttocks.

Posted by: possum | August 28, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

possum,

That's why the Dickwad luvs her so

Posted by: Mudge | August 28, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't think referring to the Veep as Dickwad Cheney is considered a left-leaning viewpoint anymore. It's mainstream. In fact, there was a Miss Manners column where she gave the okay to referring to him as Dickwad. I'd post a link but work is so busy, I don't have time to search for it.

Posted by: epony | August 28, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

But only his very good friends get to call him "The Wadster".

Posted by: epony | August 28, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

epony -

you are too funny!!!!!!!

("the Wadster" - hahahahahahahahahahaha)

Posted by: Mudge | August 28, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

epony -

you are too funny!!!!!!!

("the Wadster" - hahahahahahahahahahaha)

Posted by: Mudge | August 28, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps the Vice President could embark on another career as a film director under the name Dick Wadster.

I wonder if a certain director from Baltimore would file a trademark infringement auit.

Posted by: Sasquatch pulss out his vintage Pink Flamingos barf bag | August 28, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if porn stars would file trademark infringement suits.

Posted by: Sasquatch waits for the Money Shot | August 28, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

now we have Miss Manners giving us political advice? Have to say it is an improvement over the celebs

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

According to a "Not My Job" quiz about Miss Mannners on "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me," Judith Martin was at one time a movie critic at the Post, in which capacity she slammed the original "Star Wars."

Posted by: Nosy Parker also enjoys "Trivial Pursuit" | August 28, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I love Wait Wait but I'm never near a radio when its on. I totally screwed up my Ipod with webcasts.

Posted by: hodie | August 28, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sasquatch waits for the Money Shot | August 28, 2008 4:41 PM

Geez Sas, are trying to make Nancy's head explode?

Posted by: jes | August 28, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Geez Sas, are trying to make Nancy's head explode?

Posted by: jes | August 28, 2008 5:07 PM

Owe, the vacuity!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

OK, I yield. I guess that POTUS is the exception to the rule regarding retention of public titles after retirement. If Miss Manners has dictated that there can be only one Mr. President at a time, who am I to disagree?

As for the accuracy of "the Honorable William Jefferson Clinton," I guess it depends on the context. Hillary may have felt he dishonored her on a few occasions. He was a hell of a President though.

Posted by: Wasatch Tom | August 28, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"Sasquatch looks at the 27 8x10 color glossy photos"

OK, Sas, go sit on the Group W bench now!

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 28, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse