Posted at 7:57 AM ET, 08/15/2008

Morning Mix: Ellen and Portia to Marry This Weekend?

By Liz Kelly
Friday

Headlines: Oprah plans to attend Democratic convention (and so do these lesser non-Winfrey celebs)... Britney Spears nominated for "Best Video" VMA... Dave Coulier admits he's the inspiration for Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know"... Brian Austin Green would like to play the Riddler in the next "Batman" installment... Bret Michaels says he's still in love with "Rock of Love 2" winner Ambre Lake... Nicole Richie launches gift registry for needy children... Donald Trump comes to Ed McMahon's rescue... Gael Garcia Bernal and girlfriend expecting first child... Busy Philipps ("Freaks and Geeks") gives birth to baby girl.

Crime Watch: DMX arrested in Florida for missing Arizona court date... "40-Year-Old Virgin" Shelley Malil actor pleads not guilty to attempted murder... Jerry Lewis says gun found in his bag at airport was a gift.

Rumor Mill: Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi to marry this weekend... Jennifer Aniston (who may have already moved on) gave John Mayer a three-strike rule before giving him the heave-ho... Lindsay Lohan converting to Judaism for Sam Ronson? Or is she ready to move on, too?)... L.A. boutique gives Lauren Conrad's clothing line away to charity.

---

It's back! Start reading now so you'll be caught up and ready to drop some serious Narnian knowledge on Friday, Sept. 5, when we discuss the first selection in the resurrected "Lost" Book Club: C.S. Lewis's "Prince Caspian."

By Liz Kelly  | August 15, 2008; 7:57 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Photo Redux: Brit's Big Year
Next: Friday List: Celebrity Wedding Officiants

Comments

No word from Carly Simon about whether Dave Coulier also inspired "You're So Vain."

Posted by: yellojkt | August 15, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Portia,
If you guys want to start a family, I'm available, if you know what I mean. Ellen's even invited to play along.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 15, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Ha! Too true, yellojkt. What a maroon.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the altruistic offer, yello, but Ellen and Portia are toast.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 15, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Even though the Coulier/Morisette thing has been common knowledge for awhile now, it's doesn't make it any less disturbing.

Posted by: beaker | August 15, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

She was 18 or 19, he was 32.

Posted by: Mz Fitz makes a sour face thinking about that. | August 15, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

What has happened to Jennifer Aniston? IT seems that since Brad, she's been messing around (perhaps literally and figuratively) with what ever the wind blows in her direction. Did Brad taking up with Angie rock her so hard that she's lowered her standards? Discuss?

Posted by: still clueless | August 15, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I just read Jen Chaney's very cute entry in the On Parenting blog. (It's relevant here 'cause it's about movies, which have celebrities in them.) Then I made the mistake of scrolling to the comments. Whoa. Just... whoa.

I love you guys, and I promise I'll never go over there again. Never never never. I've learned my lesson. Like when your mom caught you smoking and make you smoke the whole pack. I feel a little like that right now.

Posted by: WDC | August 15, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Dave Coulier: Im in ur angry moozic. I can haz career, plz?

Posted by: WDC | August 15, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

O, come on! There are some great comments over there today. Lookie here!

Citizen Kane has a plot?
======================================

Kane was about more than Marion Davies' hoo-ha

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 9:54 AM

Posted by: to WDC | August 15, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beaker | August 15, 2008 9:39 AM

Word.

I love that Bret Michaels is soooo in love with Ambre that he just has to do another season to find a REAL woman.

Posted by: Bored @ work | August 15, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I find I'm unable to work up any interest in Ellen and Portia. Unless, of course, they start showing off their matching tattoos...

I hope you'll join me in sending some love to The Swayze. Keep on keeping on, Patrick!

Posted by: jaybbub | August 15, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"She was 18 or 19, he was 32." - Posted by: Mz Fitz makes a sour face thinking about that.

*****

She was 18 or 19, he was *Dave Coulier*.

Posted by: byoolin sez, "You want ick, I'll show you ick." | August 15, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the story about Jennifer Aniston moving on isn't true:

The guy apparently was just trying to get press for himself. What a sludge.

Posted by: ADHD would be happy with *one* chance | August 15, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Nicole Richie AND Donald Trump doing good deeds? What's next - a heavily-armed Jerry Lewis running am--- oh, sweet Jeebus, it's the Apocalypse!!!!!!

Posted by: byoolin gets ready to head to Canada until this blows over... | August 15, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"Brian Austin Green would like to play the Riddler in the next "Batman" installment"

Good luck with that.

Posted by: I think Chris Nolan's standards are a little higher than that | August 15, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

This gives me more of a sour face:

"Alanis admitted to US Weekly that "Hands Clean" from her 'Under Rug Swept' album is about an affair that she had with a man 29 years old when she was just 14 years old. Their relationship lasted 5 years." - From IMDB

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure I'll have a snarky comment after I stop laughing.

Posted by: Dude, way to think higher | August 15, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Dave Coulier was the rebound from her high school married man affair. Triple EEWWWW!

Posted by: yellojkt | August 15, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

What is it with Kitson's Boutique thinking a charity wants clothes nobody would buy?

Boutique Manager: 'Here, take this cr*p over to Caitlin's Closet, those poor people will be so grateful.'

Posted by: jes | August 15, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Brian Austin who?

I hope Sam isn't Orthodox, though if she's gay and hanging out with Lidnsey Lohan I'd say the chances of that are infintesimally small.

Posted by: EricS | August 15, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Who was calling the balls and strikes in the Aniston-Mayer affair? Who's the crew chief? Did Jennifer tell John to take a walk because he had 4 balls? We need an umpire's ruling here.

Posted by: Saquatch | August 15, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I know Alanis was 14 but still I can’t imagine anyone getting that worked up over Dave Coulier. C’mon, even at 14 you should have some standards.

Posted by: Lisa1 | August 15, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Why does everyone have to be so mean on this blog? It brings me to tears everytime I log on and review the OP blog. I come here to learn more about becoming a good parent and get tips from you all, but instead I get so upset and start crying over these mean comments.

Posted by: Nancy | August 15, 2008 10:47 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Cut it out, asshat!!

Posted by: To: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 11:07 AM | August 15, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

To Saquatch at 11:01 AM:

Maybe we should call in Lance Armstrong to to the final count.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 15, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hang in there Nancy! Don't let these meanies bring you to tears!

Posted by: Cecilia | August 15, 2008 11:07 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Why do you feel the need to mock the adults on the On Parenting blog? These are real people trying to navigate a difficult world. And all you do is write mean comments and attempt to sabotage our efforts to have a meaningful discourse. You should be ashamed.

Especially you, The Sasquach (who I secretly heart).

Posted by: On Parenting | August 15, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

You know what is excellent? The source on Lindsey Lohan's conversion to Judaism was her Facebook page.

Wonder if she'll start getting popup ads for challah and latke recipes.

Posted by: Bawlmer is going to go change her religious belief to "Pastafarianism" right now. | August 15, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I need a hug.

I foolishly checked out the OP blog - for the first time ever - and it was, as you all have noted, horrific. It made me appreciate Liz and the 'ards even more than I already did.

*sniff* I just love you guys. *sniff*

Posted by: jaybbub | August 15, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey Jaybub, tell me about it. I can't believe those folks are raising children...

Posted by: Osteph | August 15, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Osteph | August 15, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Poor Mark Silverman. Imagine going through life having to introduce everyone to your wife, Busy, and your daughter, Birdie.

Try a simple thing like answering the phone...

"I'm sorry. Busy is Busy. She's busy with Birdie."

Years later, when her friends call...

"I'm sorry, but Birdie is busy with her mom, Busy. I'm not repeating myself. That's her mom's name."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 15, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I thought we discussed before and it was determined that Alanis was underage at the time of their daliance

Posted by: too lazy to look it up | August 15, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

"That's good, son. 'Cause you either surf or fight. That clear ?
Now get going. I cover for you. And bring a board for Lance.

Posted by: Lt. Col. Kilgore | August 15, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sasquach - I hear evidence of your existence is going to be revealed this afternoon in Palo Alto. Would you care to comment about the outing of your species?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

We did discuss her age before... it's still gagalicious in the rehash tho. We could go two or three more rounds before the ewww factor wears off. She obviously had an early start gathering material for her music.

Posted by: rachelt | August 15, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Brian Austin Green was a gem on 'Freddie'. Anyone remember 'Freddie'? Just me? Oh. Okay.

Posted by: elsa | August 15, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

All I have to say about the LiLo thing is, well, DUH. It's not like she and that DJ were actually in a real relationship.

How can someone who stabbed a woman repeatedly plead not guilty to attempted murder?

Why is Dave Coulier desperately seeking attention? Dude. Shut up. No one cares. 'cept those of us who snark about you, of course.

And my last question is, can we please institute a moratorium on bringing over/posting comments from other blogs, esp. OP? This is about celebs, guys. Celebs. And snarking.

Posted by: Californian | August 15, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Well, still clueless, I don't think Brad Pitt's all that, but I'm not sure Jen has lowered her standards -- after all, she hasn't taken up with Stinky McConaughey, a Madden brother, that strange dude Natalie Portman's with, or anyone who's been with Kate Hudson or Paris Hilton. IF she wants a relationship -- and who knows, maybe she has no desire for one and just wants to have fun! -- I'd love for her to find a great guy who appreciates her, not some vapid/vain rock star or male model. She's just shopping in the wrong aisle of the store, IMHO.

Posted by: Californian | August 15, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

esp. OP? This is about celebs, guys.

Well, many OPer's are legends in their own minds!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm ashamed of you all. It is almost 1:30 in the afternoon and not one of you came up with the obvious Trump-McMahon line. Stop messing with the OP Blog, it is ruining your brains.

Trump rings McMahon's doorbell carrying a huge check. There is a decorated van parked in the drive. Trump then tells McMahon he just won the Apprentice Warehouse Sweepstakes.

Posted by: ep | August 15, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Jen, very funny and very brave writing for this blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 1:06 PM

Jen's writing is mediocre, as usual.

Posted by: Anon for this | August 15, 2008 1:08 PM

Posted by: just for 12:58 | August 15, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why (perhaps it is that same weird compulsion that forces you to watch a train wreck in motion) but after the comments this morning I had to go over there just to see that OP blog, good lordy. I felt like I needed to wash my brain and bleach my eyes...

It's nice to be back to the sane and rational blog.

Peace and great weekends all...

Posted by: LTL | August 15, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

LTL, here's something that'll make you forget about the OP blog!

Posted by: for LTL | August 15, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

what IS kwanzaa? is it some made up holiday?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 1:45 PM

Ask AB. He's the OP's resident expert on b.s.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 1:53 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

LTL - When I saw the topic of the OP blog today with Jen as guest blogger, I was happy because I love to talk movies. Unfortunately, no one else really wanted to get into the topic...so I came away disheartened.

Posted by: Groovis | August 15, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

LIZ, PLEASE REMOVE THE SPAM POSTS THAT ARE COPIED & PASTED FROM "ON PARENTING."

Posted by: i recognize daneclark when I see it | August 15, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Geewiz, you don't have to shout!

And you would miss gems like this:

wow, you must have a really tiny penis.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 1:48 PM

Small & white.
===============================

You are being redundant!

Posted by: to 1:58 | August 15, 2008 2:09 PM

Posted by: to i recognize daneclark when I see it | August 15, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

But you may have a point, no one over at OP picked up on this one:

Citizen Kane has a plot?
======================================

Kane was about more than Marion Davies' hoo-ha

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 9:54 AM

Posted by: to i recognize daneclark when I see it | August 15, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

capital letters are only to get queen liz's attention as she scrolls through all the posts.

Posted by: get a grip | August 15, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I have no doubt that Queen Liz can multi-task at anything without any prompts.

Carm down!

Posted by: to i recognize daneclark when I see it | August 15, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Censors: Are there censors for the Olympics? I ask as one who is greatly enjoying the aftermath of the men's swimming events -- you know, the part where those talented young men roll those Speedos right down to there, and that made me wonder if the Olympics are scrutinized for potential wardrobe malfunctions.

Lisa de Moraes: I'm sure PTC is monitoring it as we speak.

Posted by: is this you byoolin? | August 15, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

PTC, hmmm, PTC, do you mean the FCC?

Oh, wait you mean Piedmont Technical College.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Thongs for the men!: Or would that be too small for beach volleyball? It might cross the line from titilating to awkward.

Lisa de Moraes: Let us not forget, the original Games were performed in the nude. Or did I just dream that? Anyway, my point is, no Olympics costume too small...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

When Busy Phillips has her set of twins, will they be Kittie and Doggie?

Posted by: jsk | August 15, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Dave Coulier needs to "cut it out."

Posted by: g | August 15, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Dave Coulier needs to "cut it out."

Posted by: g | August 15, 2008 3:47 PM

Man, I am such a dork, I actually get this.

Posted by: anon out of smame | August 15, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm appalled at the obscene comments today on the OP blog. I literally was crying after reading the nasty back and forth comments. I can't believe how horrible you are to one another.

Posted by: Nancy | August 15, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I would have written that "cut. it. out."

Posted by: shamed as well | August 15, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

This isn't the OP blog, dumb@ss.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

the image of men in thongs sure shut down this conversation!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 3:10 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: for LTL | August 15, 2008 1:49 PM

Ohhhhhh, that's nice.

Posted by: Bawlmer has forgotten all her cares. | August 15, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

**********
Apparently we nearly got a real wardrobe malfunction last night:

Posted by: hermespal | August 15, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Hermespal, unfortunately the photo accompanying the article is not illustrative of the near wardrobe malfunction.

Posted by: Nosy Parker was hoping... | August 15, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Hermespal, thought you might enjoy this article, if you're thinking of writing something about your OSS Grandma.
"I knew Master Chef Julia Child was a spy. She told me. I think," by Andrew Schneider.

Posted by: Nosy Parker is getting suspicious about why this didn't post the first time | August 15, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it was my reference to fresh-steamed asparagus, with a serving boatful of Hollandaise Sauce.

Posted by: Nosy Parker would like two pounds, please | August 15, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, I tried searching the archives, and unless I'm doing it wrong, she's not in there. I think the problem is they cover personnel from 1941-1945, and my great aunt's passport that was so interesting covered '34-'39. It's kind of frustrating.

My sister had the same suggestion, incidentally. But still, I wouldn't make a script -- do you remember that horrible film some years ago with Melanie Griffith and Michael Douglas where she was a secretary/spy? It put me off the whole idea. Or maybe it's because I can't take MG seriously.

Posted by: hermespal | August 15, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy Parker was hoping... | August 15, 2008 4:48 PM

Yes, they went to great pains to preserve Ryan's dignity (tv too--no underwater shots!)

Pity. ;-)

Posted by: hermespal | August 15, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Hermsepal, maybe you need to switch to the genre of historical fiction ;-)

Melanie as a spy? What a great cover! No one would ever suspect her.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 15, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy Parker was hoping... | August 15, 2008 4:48 PM

Pity. ;-)

Posted by: hermespal | August 15, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post--my browser is doing weird things.

Posted by: hermespal | August 15, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

hermespal: do you remember that horrible film some years ago with Melanie Griffith and Michael Douglas where she was a secretary/spy?

***********

Susan Isaacs's book, Shining Through, which it was based on, was actually quite a good read. But the script and casting were just horrific. They totally ruined it. MG was like Betty Boop trying to be a spy.

Susan Isaacs also wrote Compromising Positions, which I didn't think was as strong a novel, but turned out to be a pretty good movie with Susan Sarandon and Raul Julia.

Posted by: alex loves movies w/ nazis | August 15, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse