Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 08/ 8/2008

Morning Mix: L'Oreal Denies Lightening Beyonce's Skin for Ad Campaign

By Liz Kelly
Friday

Headlines: Morgan Freeman released from hospital... Daniel Radcliffe and Miley Cyrus top list of highest earning youngsters... Cyrus says she rebelled after break up from Nick Jonas... Brad Pitt helps son Maddox celebrate his seventh birthday, joins cast of new Quentin Tarantino film... George Lucas says "Indiana Jones" franchise couldn't go on without Harrison Ford... Eva Longoria shows off baby bump -- but is it real?... Fashion critic Mr. Blackwell hospitalized with severe infection... Candy Spelling penning tell-all book... Jay-Z says he wants to keep his wedding details to himself... Alec Baldwin wants to take Kim Basinger back to court in custody case... Judge dismisses wrongful termination suit against Bob Barker.

Rumor Mill: Paul Newman given weeks to live, says source... L'Oreal denies claims that they lightened Beyonce's skin in ad campaign... Tom Selleck set for "Dancing With the Stars?"... Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson get matching tattoos... Jewel reportedly marries in private Bahamas ceremony... Sienna Miller and Balthazar Getty still an item... Denise Richards's reality show to get the axe.

Chat: What was it like kissing Luke Perry? Ask "90210's" Jennie Garth your burning questions live at 2 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | August 8, 2008; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Highbrow: Monitoring the Paris-Britney Ad Fallout
Next: Nothing Comes Between Katie and Her Toms -- Except Me

Comments

Tom Selleck on "Dancing With the Stars"?

OH, how the nighty have fallen.

Beyonce. tsk.

'morning all

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

mighty, I meant "MIGHTY"

drat that software upgrade

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

linsey is the best
alli is secnd best!
dina is the greatst mom everr!

lohans (exxept for mikael lohan) rulez!

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 8, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

and andrson cooper is the worst!

go lohansz!

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 8, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Liz, are you doubting your own news outlet? You have Jewel's marriage in the rumor mill when it is being reported here on the Post... Hmmm....

Posted by: Osteph | August 8, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Why couldn't that judge do us all a favor and just dismiss Bob Barker?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I started out the day in a good mood and then I read the news about Paul Newman - now I'm really sad. Paul Newman is one of the coolest men on the planet - he's a natural-born world-shaker.

First we lost George Carlin and now things don't look good for Mr. Newman. This hasn't been a good couple of months....

Posted by: Groovis is too depressed to have any fun today...... | August 8, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

go lohansz!

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 8, 2008 8:48 AM
***************

And take the Spears girls with you.

Posted by: Arlington, VA | August 8, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

George Lucas says "Indiana Jones" franchise couldn't go on without Harrison Ford... and yet, it somehow managed just fine without a plot.

Overheard in the hospital: "Mr. Blackwell, you want this IV or not? Then quit giving the nurses a hard time about their scrubs, or I will fill your bag with bleach, you hear me?"

True Paul Newman story: in the sixties, the Lovely Mrs. byoolin's oldest brother, Larry, went to a party with a friend. It turned out that the party was at Newman's house. When Larry got home and told his parents about the party, mom's star-struck response was, "Did he ask about your mother?" (Both Larry and mom have since, to use Kinky Friedman's words, stepped on rainbows. Perhaps Larry will get a chance to introduce her to Mr. Newman before too long.)

John Hillerman's reaction to the Tom Selleck rumour: "MY GOD, Magnum!"

Rats. I was really hoping LiLo and SamRo both got "slippery when wet."

You know what would be great reality television? A show featuring reality television people (like Denise Richards) at the moment their reality shows get the axe.

Posted by: byoolin is still chuckling at 'how the nighty have fallen.' | August 8, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I already know what it’s like to kiss Luke Perry. Pure Heaven!

Posted by: Lisa1 | August 8, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

OH, how the nighty have fallen.

*******************************************

Why, oh why, did I just picture Tom Selleck in a nightie? Must go find a picture of Scarlet Johansson to cleanse my mind.

Posted by: Dorkus screaming it burns, it burns... | August 8, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

byoolin - i am finding that i am more interested in reading your comments these days than the celebritolgy mix. funny stuff.

Posted by: jcm is laughing this friday morning | August 8, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Second Groovis' comments on Paul Newman. He lived his life doing work he loved, made a happy and successful second marriage, and through the philanthropy of his Newman's Own proceeds was able to improve life for others.

Could Liz (or anyone else) please find and post a link to a website where we could send messages of appreciation to Mr. Newman and his family?

Posted by: Nosy Parker feels philosophical this morning | August 8, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

as far as beyonce goes, all of those models have 'adjustments' made for photo shoots. heavy makeup, hair added bright lights etc

Posted by: nall92 | August 8, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

What makes the news of Paul Newman's illness even more depressing is the fact that he is someone who is a true star in every sense of the word -- REAL talent, good looks, philanthropy, and class. When you compare him to what Hollywood labels as "stars" these days, it makes you lament his seemingly impending demise all the more. Let's hope that he beats the doctors' expectations.

Posted by: clw digs Paul Newman and is also waxing philosophical | August 8, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Add Mr. Neuman to the unsnarkable list. And do we have Friday List today? Maybe it should be What Celebrities Could Learn from Paul Neuman.

Posted by: cee_jay | August 8, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

i dont think they would really care!!!!!! why don't you just leave them alone?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

How annoying that the second photo in the Eva Longoria story mentions "The star has added new curves to her normally super-skinny frame." Are you kidding me? I don't know what "weight" she gained, but she's still as skinny as a No.2 pencil! Ugh!

Posted by: clw | August 8, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Hear hear cee_jay! Hear hear!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

third (or is it fourth? fifth?) the major love to Paul Newman - totaly and utter class...

Posted by: LTL | August 8, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"L'oreal denies lightening Beyonce's skin, gives all credit to Porcelana."

Posted by: jaybbub | August 8, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Three things.
1) Dancing With the Stars is the 2nd most popular show on television. Over 25 million watch on average. Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Ugly Betty, etc. would kill for numbers like Dancing has. So going on there is not a bad thing. Magnum PI never came close to the numbers that Dancing has every week.
2) Jennie Garth is on live for a chat this afternoon. I have already submitted my question. She is on my kitchen list.
3) As you can see by my two points above I am one heck of a dork. (no offense Dorkus)

Posted by: dw | August 8, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

A recent story about Newman's health said his publicist was Jeff Sanderson. Jeff seems to be affiliated with Chasen & Co.; email for that company is info@chasenpr.com.

You likely could also find a 'contact us' page at the Newman's Own website (www.newmansown.com).

Also, if someone has a Pro account at imdb.com, there *might* be contact info for his publicist there.

Posted by: byoolin going to eat 50 hardboiled eggs now. | August 8, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LTL | August 8, 2008 9:49 AM

There can never be too much, LTL!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay and Samantha - matching tattoos - one sign of impending relationship doom! Now we just sit back and wait for their publicists to announce "everything's fine"...

Posted by: jaybbub | August 8, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Givin' it up for The Swayze! Can't wait to see his new show - you KNOW I'll be parked in front of the TV that night.

Posted by: jaybbubluvstheswayze | August 8, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Byoolin.

And to Anonymous at 9:44- In a civilized world, you express your hopes and concerns for people you care for. Paul Newman and his family have dedicated themselves to noble causes and I can only imagine that they are proud to be well-known and well-loved figures in the worldwide community. Although I'm sure they won't be spending their time in the next weeks reading message boards, etc., you'd better believe they appreciate every thought.

Please keep your cold thoughts to yourself.

Posted by: Sully is going to Bolivia. | August 8, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

dw said, "Dancing With the Stars is the 2nd most popular show on television. Over 25 million watch on average. Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Ugly Betty, etc. would kill for numbers like Dancing has. So going on there is not a bad thing. Magnum PI never came close to the numbers that Dancing has every week."

Curmudgeon says, "that doesn't make it right".

Posted by: Curmudgeon carefully folds her nighty and places it under the pillow | August 8, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Who-wel?

Posted by: ADHD | August 8, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

On a lighter note- do we agree that the "baby bump" on Eva Longoria is fake given last season's flash forward?

Posted by: Sully sings raindrops keep falling on my head... | August 8, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

**********************************
What 'mudge said and how many of those "stars" were able to re-ignite their careers? Joey Fatone? Mario Lopez? Ok, those are the only two I can think of, but you get my point.

Posted by: milliegirl | August 8, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

__________________________________________________________

i dont think they would really care!!!!!! why don't you just leave them alone?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 9:44 AM
__________________________________________________________

So Anonymous is the self-appointed Newman family rep.

Nosy and those who feel the same know perfectly well his family isn't going to sit and read the posts. It's all about shared experience, people wanting to come together to express their feelings and hope for someone they care about.

Why did you feel the need to pick on Nosy, Anonymous?

(yeah, I meant to say that)

Posted by: expatasia | August 8, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Sully, I vote for fake baby bump.

Posted by: clw | August 8, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I bet the Skins wouldn't have traded for Jason Taylor if it weren't for his moves on Dancing with the Stars. So I that's one- one re-ignition.

Posted by: Sully | August 8, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

RE: I'll believe that Tarantino film is coming when I am sitting in the theatre watching it with my own disbelieving eyes. $5 says

-Byoolin

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

D'oh! 10:11 was me.

Posted by: MzFitz | August 8, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon,
I agree it does not make it right. I loved Magnum PI. Tom Selleck is the kind of guy that women and men both love(d), for different reasons of course.
But, DWTS is a HUGE hit. Top singing acts show up every week because of the large Nielsen numbers. Several big time stars including Nicole Kidman have said they watch it every week. Like it or not DWTS is a phenomenally popular show.

Posted by: dw | August 8, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaybbub | August 8, 2008 10:01 AM

Or in this case, the publicist denies that there is a relationship, but says that if there had been one, it would be fine.

Posted by: epony | August 8, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

L'Oreal didn't lighten Beyonce's skin in that photo shoot - it's Michael Jackson in a new nose and long wig.

Posted by: BxNY | August 8, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

So why don't any of these alleged big time stars do the show?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

So I that's one- one re-ignition.

Posted by: Sully | August 8, 2008 10:10 AM

This doesn't make sense. Could you please use spell and/or grammar check before posting? You guys are worse than the OP bloggers.

Posted by: Grammar Police | August 8, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Anonymous,
That is a very easy one to answer. Because DWTS is made fun of by a lot of people (like for example on this fun site), the so called big time stars do not want to soil their reputation.
However, if you are a sports fan, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Jason Taylor, Apollo Ono, Monica Selles, et al, are about as big of stars on the planet.

Posted by: dw | August 8, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

So why don't any of these alleged big time stars do the show?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 10:17 AM

Laziness? It's a lot of hard work & takes lots of time.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I blame DWTS for taking the Osmonds out of their obscurity in Branson, MO.

Posted by: milliegirl | August 8, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

regarding the 9:44 a.m. and 10:17 a.m. comments:

Did somebody order a troll? It has arrived and you need to pick it up ASAP.

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Grammar Police, lighten up! It's as if you've been lurking around thus far waiting to spot a typo or other mistake. It is Friday after all!

Posted by: clw | August 8, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I blame DWTS for taking the Osmonds out of their obscurity in Branson, MO.

Posted by: milliegirl | August 8, 2008 10:25 AM

-------------------------------------------
Do you mean "blame" or "credit"? Ha!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

So I that's one- one re-ignition.

Posted by: Sully | August 8, 2008 10:10 AM

Posted by: Grammar Police | August 8, 2008 10:23 AM

I am so very, very sorry. This comment was in response to another post, asking if anyone's career has actually "re-ignited" since being on Dancing with the Stars. Considering that Jason Taylor was traded from the Dolphins (who just finished a pretty awful season) to the Washington Redskins (who finished a decidedly less awful season), and since celebrity is often a deciding factor for owners and coaches when making trades, one could argue the DWTS did "re-ignite" his career.

I just did a spell-check on the above paragraph, but considering the fact that I'm not getting paid for the above comments, nor am I claiming to be an authority in any sense on the above comment, I hope you will not publicly chastise me about my grammar on a celebrity blog again.

Posted by: Sully is wondering what is in the water today | August 8, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I lurve me some Tom Selleck. I'd watch him on DWTS in a heartbeat (if I had a tv, that is). I loved Magnum P.I. as a kid, but I recently watched an episode on Netflix. Boy, it has not held up well over the years. Sometimes you can't go home again.

George Lucas looks more and more like Chewbacca.

Posted by: Sappho | August 8, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Paul Newman was my first big movie star crush. And because he is such a cool guy and such a great world citizen, that crush continues. I will be so sad if he steps on a rainbow.

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

So when do you think that we'll be hearing about Miley's impending pregnancy?

Posted by: MzFitz | August 8, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Washington foootball player on DWTS (it's still not right), I saw a license plate on a van/SUV yesterday on the way home from work.

It read: M4SKINS.

Anybody want to touch that one with Yogi's 10-foot fork?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

linsey is the best
alli is secnd best!
dina is the greatst mom everr!

lohans (exxept for mikael lohan) rulez!

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 8, 2008 8:47 AM

Luvlinsey, you are not first. Please review the comments prior to submission. I will not even attempt to correct your grammar. Its atrocious.

Posted by: Grammar Police | August 8, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

It read: M4SKINS.

Anybody want to touch that one with Yogi's 10-foot fork?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 10:39 AM

Hahaha, thank you. I really needed that. My intense anger is now starting to fade.

Posted by: Sully | August 8, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Mmmmmm, Jason Taylor. Break me off a piece of THAT.

Posted by: jaybbub | August 8, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Grammar Police | August 8, 2008 10:39 AM

------------------------------------------
Grammar Police, you of ALL people should know that "Its atrocious" SHOULD be "It's atrocious"!

Posted by: clw believes that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones | August 8, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

It read: M4SKINS.

Anybody want to touch that one with Yogi's 10-foot fork?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 10:39 AM
----------------------------------
Sorry, but I don't get it: M4SKINS???

Posted by: still clueless | August 8, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Its atrocious.

Posted by: Grammar Police | August 8, 2008 10:39 AM

Ahem.

...

That should read "It's atrocious".

...

Posted by: Sully with an evil grin | August 8, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------------

BOO YAAAA!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

********
byoolin, my love, i like the way you think. that would be may-jor.

Posted by: methinks | August 8, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Geez. Is Grammar Police trying to be funny? Is he/she the new luvlinsey? What the heck is going on around here? Don't make me find a new celebrity blog, people.

Posted by: h3 | August 8, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Please don't eat the daisies. Or feed the trolls.

MsFitz,
I give her a year.

I might watch Tom Selleck on dancing with the stars. The taller they are, the funnier it is when they trip and fall down.

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Well, I don't know what the license plate is actually trying to say. All I know is that it says "4 Skins".

For Skins?

Foreskins??

Posted by: Sully is quite immature | August 8, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

It's not atrocious, it's supercalafragilisticexpialadocious.

And it tastes like chicken.

Posted by: byoolin is not the Messiah, he's a very snarky boy. | August 8, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

For Skins?

Foreskins??

Posted by: Sully is quite immature | August 8, 2008 10:49 AM

------------------------------
Ahhh (she types with a devilish grin)!

Also, I second jaybub re: Jason Taylor (she types with a sigh)!

Posted by: still clueless sees the light | August 8, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Yo, grammar fatties. Carm down!

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Byoolin, may I thump your belly once you're done eating those 50 hard boiled eggs?

Posted by: B'More Cat and Newman Lover | August 8, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

i'm sure they meant "am for (red)skins?"

but they obviously didn't consider all the alternate meanings.

kind of like Chevy when they tried to market the Nova in Mexico.

Posted by: b, who thinks like sully | August 8, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Why is byoolin eating 50 hardboiled eggs?!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

maybe that license plate owner is a fan of pork rinds.

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------
Owe the humanity!!!

Posted by: clw | August 8, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Sully, we used to have a company down here called "Active Bolt & Screw." I always giggled whenever I drove by.

And on the way to the casino, there's a town called Walls, Miss. So we always say
"Hello, Walls."

Posted by: b is feeling quite silly today | August 8, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

to b and sully and everyone else,

you're correct, I think. Poor choice for cuteness.

There I was, tired and listless from a long day at work. That plate made me snort. It's a good thing that my keybord was safely back in my office (but my dashboard could use a wipe).

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Grammar police - be careful we don't decide you need to spend a night in the box --

There's no playing grab-a$$ or fighting in the building. You got a grudge against another man, you fight him Saturday afternoon. Any man playing grab-a$$ or fighting in the building spends a night in the box.

Posted by: Groovis is worried about getting her dirt out of Boss Kean's ditch... | August 8, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I watch Dancing with Stars (usually the first and last episodes) and Tom Selleck is too tall and too stiff to do a rumba or jive. Some people are not meant to dance in public. Tom is one of them.

Posted by: Lisa1 | August 8, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

always nice to have little day-brighteners like that....

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Nice Groovis. Very nice.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey there, goys 'n goils, one way to pay respects to Paul Newman is to prefer Newman's Own products when you need salad dressings, salsa, cookies, popcorn, etc. Ms. Snatchquatch and I have been regular purchases of Newman's Own salad dressings for years. Queen Liz often snacks on Newman O's while holding the weekly online discussions. All the money goes to the Newman's Own Foundation, which donates all money after taxes to charities in a number of countries.
So if you wans to praise Paul Newman, toast him with a glass of Newman's Own lemonade, or crack a bottle of Newman's Own chardonnay.

Damn! I just went to Newman's Own web site and found that their baseball caps are USA made. I haven't seen a USA made baseball cap in YEARS. Gotta get me one...or two.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Trolls, luvlinsey and Grammar Police, OH MY. What the heck is going on here Toto?

I would like to pile on the Newman love please.

I'd like to be some place else when B'More Cat thumps byoolin's belly.

I'd like to carry the motion on the Jason Taylor lust.

You know what would be great reality television? A show featuring reality television people (like Denise Richards) actually getting hit with an axe.

Posted by: jes | August 8, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I was once behind a car with a plate that said "HORSMOM", and my first thought was "who would say that about her daughter??".

And then I noticed the equestrian plate.

Posted by: Sully | August 8, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

License plates, you like, eh?

Oh, there have been a number of interesting ones sighted -- perhaps cited? -- around NoVA over the years.

The current runner for best plate in these here parts is a Mini Cooper with a plate reading simply "DB". No, it's not my long-lost friend.

There used to be a urologist running a plate that read "PP DOC"

There used to be a SAAB that ran the plate "STORY"

Years ago, someone in the IBM parking lot was running a plate that read "F-IT". And someone in an old beat-up Caprice was running a plate reading "EAT 1"

Some years ago I was on the Dulles Toll road when I saw a Mustang GT coming up fast behind my car. The plate read "TIHZ WA". What it read in the rearview mirror was something else.

Finally, and I swear this is true, a number of years ago I saw a plate on the Beltway that read "1IDVPR" Say it aloud.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Okay, Grammar Police, I have a question of serious import for you:

Is it DONUTS, or DOUGHNUTS?

Posted by: Sasquatch would like to order a double chocolate, please | August 8, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

It ran a poll alongside the comparison asking, 'Is the ad a slap to blacks?'

Maybe it is a slap at whites and mexicans too!

Posted by: get over it | August 8, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jes | August 8, 2008 11:07 AM

*****

We could call it, "Let Me Axe You A Question."

Posted by: byoolin thinks they'd have lovely parting gifts. | August 8, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"Hello, Walls."

Posted by: b is feeling quite silly today | August 8, 2008 11:00 AM

*********************************

Ok, I admit it, I giggled with a mouth full of yogurt when I read this.

Posted by: Dorkus just standin here in the rain talkin to himself | August 8, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "One of you will have to be eliminated."

Posted by: Groovis loves Byoolin's new game show | August 8, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I still don't get M4SKINS. What is the M for?

Posted by: confused | August 8, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Why is byoolin eating 50 hardboiled eggs?!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 10:57 AM

You need to watch "Cool Hand Luke" to really understand. Me? I'll be having my Newman's Own Lemonade with some vodka in it this weekend. And is he really 83?!?

Also, apropos of nothing, I'd like to just say that I've added Twitch from "So You Think You Can Dance" to my kitchen list.

Posted by: Fruitfly | August 8, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I would like to offer my opinion as to why these f-listers sign up for DWTS. Many an overweight f-lister has cited their desire to lose the baggage as the reason for doing it, and to revive their career. Think about it, DWTS is way less invasive than having a camera crew follow you around in the name of a reality show. As a DWTS "celebrity," you would also be less likely to be enlisting a divorce attorney as let's say the Moakler/Barker clan, the Hogans, etc. In fact, the weight loss may add a new spark to the marriage.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: MzFitz | August 8, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

One more Newman story...

About 25 years ago, my mom's friend was living in Greenwich, CT, which Newman lives (I assume she's still there). One day, she went to buy an ice cream cone and noticed Newman himself in the store. She was very cool and collected, didn't bother him, didn't stare at him while she bought her ice cream. She raised her hand to her mouth to lick her cone, only to find she was holding her change. At which point, Newman whispered in her ear: "Your ice cream's in your purse."

I do remember seeing "Nobody's Fool" in early 1995. I was 23, Newman was 69, and I remember wishing I was 40 years older or he was 40 years younger, cause boy was he devastating even then.

Posted by: KLeewrite | August 8, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

We could call it, "Let Me Axe You A Question."

I don't really mind, but I'm making a scene over here what with all the laughing today.

Posted by: Sully says sometimes nothing is a cool hand. | August 8, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Confused: M4SKINS = "[I] Am for [the Red]Skins."

I think.

Who knows, the plate might refer to some kind of waterproof covering for one's M4 rifle.

Posted by: byoolin | August 8, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Dang, KLeewrite, that's a weirdly sexy story!

Posted by: Fruitfly | August 8, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

What in the heck? 'M4SKINS' Either it's a Skins fan looking to irritate Grammar Cop, or it's a mohel with a decidedly gross taste for ...

Ew, dude. Just, ew.

Posted by: Anonynonandon | August 8, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

MzFitz, didn't Kristy Swanson's marriage break up because she had an affair with her dance partner? Or was it the dance partner's marriage?

Posted by: KLeewrite | August 8, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Dang, KLeewrite, that's a weirdly sexy story!

Posted by: Fruitfly | August 8, 2008 11:30 AM

Agreed. I wish Paul Newman had whispered in MY ear, regardless of the age difference.

Posted by: Sully wipes drool from her keyboard. | August 8, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"George Lucas says "Indiana Jones" franchise couldn't go on without Harrison Ford"

But it could certainly go on without George Lucas. ::a la Lewis Black:: ALIENS?!

Posted by: Bawlmer | August 8, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

KLeeWrite: that's a GREAT story!

Posted by: clw | August 8, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Swanson's marriage broke up when she got involved with Lloyd Eisler on that ice-skating rip-off of DWTS.

Wasn't Moakler on DWTS, but got eliminated early?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Sorry guys. I followed a link from Weingarten's update, and have been reading Calvin & Hobbes cartoons for the last hour. But I'm back now. Carry on.

Posted by: WDC | August 8, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

KLeewrite, I'd bet there are a million women who would have died to hear Paul Newman's first words to them be "Your ice cream's in your purse."

Posted by: byoolin | August 8, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

KLeewrite, meet Snopes:

Posted by: the paul newman ice cream cone story is just an urban legend | August 8, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Okay, Grammar Police, I have a question of serious import for you:

Is it DONUTS, or DOUGHNUTS?

According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary (the choice of discerning editors everywhere) both are correct:

doughnut

Main Entry:
dough·nut Listen to the pronunciation of doughnut
Variant(s):
also do·nut \-(ˌ)nət\
Function:
noun
Date:
circa 1809

1 : a small usually ring-shaped cake fried in fat 2 : something (as a mathematical torus) that resembles a doughnut especially in shape
— dough·nut·like Listen to the pronunciation of doughnutlike \-ˌlīk\ adjective

Posted by: Sappho, the Grammar Lady | August 8, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Maybe after a prolonged vacation somewhere in Paraguay, W will get a slot on DWTS, too.

Byoo', thou art in rare form today. Maybe it's those hard boiled eggs (do you peel them first, eat them with salt, mash them up for egg salad?).

Whatever - keep 'em coming

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Foiled! I've never actually watched the show all the way through. I can't stand all of the hokey, washed-up "performers" that they have on before all of the celebrity dropping and fainting. At least they have the "getting in shape" thing going for them.

Posted by: MzFitz | August 8, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"Maybe we could make it a game show: contestants who get their questions wrong get hit with the axe. Get 'em right to win and survive!

We could call it, "Let Me Axe You A Question."

------------------------------------------

Byool' would this be a re-make of Beat the Reaper?

Posted by: Sasquatch shows his age, but not his topiary | August 8, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I have heard that Paul Newman ice cream story so many times....

Posted by: Alexandria, VA | August 8, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Is it DONUTS, or DOUGHNUTS?

Technically, shouldn't the question be, "Are they DONUTS, or DOUGHNUTS?"

Posted by: stickler | August 8, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

KLeewrite, meet Snopes:

-------------------------------------------
Urban legend or not, the story's still sexy!

Posted by: clw says "whatev," Paul Newman still melts her ice cream! | August 8, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

where's the main post?

Posted by: jake e. poo, coming out of the shadows to ask... | August 8, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm showing myself to be really stupid, but....

"Finally, and I swear this is true, a number of years ago I saw a plate on the Beltway that read "1 IDVPR" Say it aloud."

OK, I said it aloud -- One Eye Dee Vee Pee Are -- and I STILL don't get it.

Could someone explain, please?

Posted by: Not Too Sharp | August 8, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Never mind.

Posted by: jake e. poo | August 8, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Not Too Sharp: Don't feel bad, it took me a minute too. "One Eyed Viper" (I think).

Posted by: still clueless | August 8, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

One EYE-D V-EYE-PR

One eyed viper.

Ok, I'm officially a little ashamed of myself for clarifying both plates.

Posted by: Sully... | August 8, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Sending out get well vibes to Paul Newman. It worked for Patrick Swayze, let's hope it does the same for Paul Newman.

The hats are made in the USA. YAAAY. Less chance made with slave labor. Go buy some and support two good causes at the same time.

The Beyonce thing bothers me if they did lighten her skin. It's one thing to smooth things out and thin out some things. It's a whole other thing to change a beautiful (when not wearing her mother's creations) black woman to a white women because you are afraid no one will buy your product because you think whites will think it is only for blacks.

As someone noted above, "don't eat the daisies or feed the trolls." If you ignore them, they go away to cause trouble elsewhere.

Posted by: ep | August 8, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 8, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sully,

"great minds . . . "

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

NYRONTYM....

In Your Own Time?

Stickler, rendering the words "doughnuts" and "donuts" in all caps was intended to draw attention to the words themselves and not to their use in a context.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Sasquatch and ep, I share your enthusiasm over the idea of products made in the USA, as I'm actually old enough to remember looking for the union label (not to mention singing the jingle).

Sad to say, some products with the USA-made label are in fact produced in sweat shops right here in the Lower 48, or in places like the North Marianas (in case anyone caught the rerun of the Abramoff program on Bill Moyers' Journal last Friday evening).

Sorry to get so serious here. Please resume your regularly scheduled snarking.

Posted by: Nosy Parker has no social life, so stays home watching TV on the weekend | August 8, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Nosey,

"never on time"?

Posted by: Mudge | August 8, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Admirable try, Mudge, but no.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 8, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Whatever - keep 'em coming

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 11:39 AM

*********

Wait: you can PEEL those things?

Posted by: byoolin thought if you peeled them, they wouldn't be crunchy. | August 8, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"Donuts! Is there anything they CAN'T do?" -Homer Simpson

Posted by: jaybbub | August 8, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Did L'Oreal do anything to Michael Jackson's skin?

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Nosy,
all i get is "Now You're On Time."

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

i agree with the usa thing. i was so sad to discover my Ameribag was really made in Thailand. Or was it Taiwan?

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, it says "Nyron Time"!

And not a moment too soon.

Posted by: byoolin MDTHTUP | August 8, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Nosey et al,

I think Sasquatch decoded it. yes?

Byoo,

Nah, go ahead and eat the eggs with the peels on. They're loaded with minerals and fiber.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 8, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

byoo,
how do you think you get more eggs? you peel 'em and put the shells under the egg bush in the garden so more eggs grow on it.

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

A Legend "in your own time"

I once saw an Infinity with a license plate that said "Nbyond"

Posted by: out from long time lurking... | August 8, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Damn, Nosy, we Lizards are quite a bunch of elitists. I was watching that Bill Moyers program, as well. I was hoping that they'd do a classic porn riff on "the house with the red door":

"Meanwhile, illegal activities were going on behind the red door."

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Please try a little longer on the Acura Legend with NYRONTYM, before I reveal the answer (hint: you'll kick yourselves, as I did when a friend told it to me because I couldn't get it, either).

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 8, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

i thought it was behind the green door....

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Damn, Nosy, we Lizards are quite a bunch of elitists.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 12:11 PM

*****************************************

Didn't we establish our elitism when we started posting in Latin and French?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 8, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"Our" elitism?

Posted by: byoolin looks down his nose...but then smiles to show it's all in fun. | August 8, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

this it?

"Now that you've all figured out 1IDVPR, how about the Acura Legend with the vanity plate NYRONTYM? Anyone?

A Legend "in your own time"

I once saw an Infinity with a license plate that said "Nbyond" "

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

out from long time lurking... Indeed, you are a legend in your own time! Just wish we knew your real nom de blog.

Sas, I'm glad to find myself in such esteemed company.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 8, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"...some products with the USA-made label are in fact produced in sweat shops right here in the Lower 48, or in places like the North Marianas"

What is most ironic (and horrific) is that even though they can use the "Made in the USA" label, the factories do not have to follow US labor laws.

Posted by: milliegirl | August 8, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I said "less chance made with slave labor." The Northern Marianas especially are a problem. Despite being a US territory, Congress had to pass a law making it clear that the Trafficking Victims Protection Act does apply there. Congress had to threaten to pull their right to put "Made in the USA" on products to get them to straighten out.

I would also like to point out that the recent increase in the minimum wage does not apply to the NMI either. The largest employer is Starkist whose headquarters is located in the Speaker of House's district. Hmmmmm.

But, Made in the USA has better protections than Made in China or Made in India.

Okay, back to snarking. I'm actually concerned about Candy Spelling's book. We know she has a difficult relationship with her daughter. Will she finally reveal the truth behind the fact that Aaron always seemed to be staring at Tori's breasts? Or that Tori slept with the casting director to get the part on 90210. EWWWWWWWW. Off to boil my brain for a loooooooong time.

Posted by: ep | August 8, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Miley Cyrus? Incestipus? Something tells me if she gets pregnant, we may never hear of it. I think I'm gonna hurl now...

Posted by: I just threw up in my mouth a little | August 8, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Didn't we establish our elitism when we started posting in Latin and French?

Dorkus, I think it was the Icelandic that sealed that deal.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 8, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, ep, SOME casting directors have higher standards than that!

Posted by: Nosy Parker stomps off in a huff | August 8, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

On second thought, I flounce off in a huff.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 8, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"Well, ep, SOME casting directors have higher standards than that!"

Rim shot of the day!

Budda-boom! Budda-bing!

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Ya'all forgot who the casting director was for 90210. I'll wait until you come back from throwing up.

Posted by: ep | August 8, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 10:11 AM

...and the other five will be 14, 13, 12 and the twins at 10, crowded arms to say the least. Maybe then Brad and Ange will just put them down already.

Long-time favorite business name: convenience store called "Liquor, Guns and Ammo," in mid-Missouri.

Posted by: jsk | August 8, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

One place I lived, there was a Saab I'd see around with the license plate SNAAB. And I once saw a car that had obviously been custom-painted a particularly lurid green with the license plate SNOT.

Posted by: mouse | August 8, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Then thee was the red SAAB 900 that ran around NoVA for several years sporting the plate SLAABI

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

This just in: Clay Aiken's baby has been born.

Posted by: mouse | August 8, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Where did everybody go?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Billings, Mont.: Lisa: Who do I write to to protest those marathon showings of shows about "Bigfoot"? A few nights ago I watched "In Search of Bigfoot," " The Legend of the Skunk Ape," "Search for Sasquatch," The Legend of the Sasquach" and 14 other such shows, and now I'm afraid to leave my house.

Lisa de Moraes: If you live in Billings, you really should not be watching those shows, pookie...I suggest that when you go out of your house, you wear some garlic, or a cross, or a semi-automatic, or whatever it is that scares Bigfoot away...

Posted by: this was just on Lisa de Moraes' online chat, which may explain where some of us went | August 8, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

If anyone stepped out of the office for lunch as I just did, they've all probably called in sick and gone home.

It is gorgeous out there! And I'm back here...looking at it through the window I can see across the hall...

Posted by: Sully returns, regretfully | August 8, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: where the lizard quorum has decamped | August 8, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: other lizards may be over at Jennie Garth's live online chat now | August 8, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

you "lizards" are pure hypocrites and idiots at the same time.

Read THIS license plate: SOSUME

Posted by: go play in the traffic | August 8, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 2:11 PM

*******************

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sas, Lisa is threatening you. I think you need to let her know that you are essentially harmless -- except to MMs and TTTs.

Posted by: ep | August 8, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I was in CT when I saw the "Master Bait and Tackle" shop.

Since I have seen the movie "Cars" roughly 40gagillion times, the Newman performance freshest in my mind is his turn as the voice of Doc Hudson, the grumpy old race car that teaches brash young Lightning McQueen that winning isn't everything...

I worked at a theatre in New Haven that benefited from grant money from the Newman's Own foundation and Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward often came to shows, and were unfailingly classy and polite to everyone who worked there, and stayed long after the show to sign autographs and take pictures with people who recognized them.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | August 8, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The Jennie Garth chat is remarkably boring. Everything ends with an exclamation point and she doesn't actually answer the questions. Meh.

Posted by: dc_snark | August 8, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

=)

Posted by: Jennie Garth | August 8, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Stumbled across a reference to this at Defamer: "Fun With Heidi & Spencer". Worth a look.

Posted by: byoolin second's dc's description of the Garth chat. | August 8, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The Jennie Garth discussion is an interesting counterpoint to the John Cusack discussion from a couple of weeks ago. I'm glad these people chose acting, that's all I can say.

Posted by: Groovis knows that every actor is NOT a Paul Newman | August 8, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

In Salisbury NC there is the

PMS Gun Shop

Needless to say that it gets used in many a threat when silly husbands try to blame things on "hormones."

Posted by: sunnydaze | August 8, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and all good vibes, good health, good love and good luck to Paul Newman - still a hottie after all of these years.

Posted by: sunnydaze | August 8, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I knew that the Garth chat did not have Celebritology participation when all of the questions began with professions of undying love for 90210.

Posted by: mouse | August 8, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Let's posit for the sake of argument that Jennie Garth's a nice person. But she's no NPH in the online chat department. Then again, who is?

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 8, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

There's a construction-equipment corporation (German?), specializing in cement-pumping implements, called Putzmeister.

Anybody out there want to help a girl out with off-color remarks about how long it takes Putzmeister pumped cement to firm up? Or is everybody still over at the Jenny Garth chat?

Posted by: BxNY | August 8, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"i thought this was the celeb blog, not the "lets talk about license plates" blog. you "lizards" are pure hypocrites and idiots at the same time."

Pussy.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no name this time | August 8, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Jennie answered my question. Now she goes to the top of my kitchen list.
Those exclamations were smiley faces. The Post software cannot show smiley faces so it changed them over to excl
She came across as very nice, but way too politically correct. She did not want to commit herself on the Dylan or Brandon question, I think out of being too nice to offend either one.
And just a few too many smiley faces. She must have been on the happy juice today.

Posted by: dw | August 8, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow, my above post reads like a 13 year old. I must still be thinking a little too much about Jennie!

Posted by: dw | August 8, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"uh-oh, did I ever mention that I once had a cat named Sasquatch? careful there, oh furry one.

Oh, No Name, did I mention that I had to break up a cat fight last night when the new neighborhood bully tom jumped one of my cats?

How about I amend my last response to
"No cojones."

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

meow!

Posted by: sunnydaze | August 8, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

may I recommend using a broom for such endeavors? I once (but learned from this experience) tried to protect a kitty from the neighborhood bully tom, and wound up needing 7 bandaids on my leg when the tom took exception to my rescue efforts, even though I was wearing (unpegged) jeans at the time.

Posted by: no name | August 8, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

To the person who ordered the trolls:

Please pick up your order ASAP. If you do no pick up your order within 90 minutes, it will be placed in the abandoned troll pen.

Posted by: b | August 8, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Go get him/her Sasquatch! Today is about tearing down the dissidents!

But seriously, there's something weird in the air today, no?

Posted by: Sully says rowr. | August 8, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Sully, I think the Aiken-spawn scared a lot of us away.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 8, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

No name, I learned the hard way that you do not put your skin in the game when attempting to break up a cat fight. I have a scar on my wrist that looks like a botched suicide attempt from breaking up a cat fight some years ago. And it was my cat who bit me.

Taking aim at the interloper with an empty cardboard 6-pack container got him moving out of the area.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, I though you typed Alien-spawn and then realized...same difference.

Posted by: Sully | August 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please post a link for the "lets talk about license plates" blog? That sounds like fun.

Re: breaking up cat fights: there's the traditional garden hose, of course, but if one of the cats is yours and you don't want a wet angry kitty in your house, a pillow tossed into the fray does the trick nicely. If you're talking "cat fight" as a euphemism for skanque-wrassle, go straight for the hose.

Posted by: WDC | August 8, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Is skanque-wrassling an Olympic event?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 8, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Edwards Admits Sexual Affair; Lied as Presidential Candidate / In ABC News Interview, Edwards Says He Cheated, but Did Not Father Child

Posted by: ick ick ick | August 8, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Here's the link to PMS firearms:

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"Brad Pitt helps son Maddox celebrate his seventeenth birthday before it comes out." --byoolin

"...and Brad Pitt will still be seen holding his seventeen year old son on his hip." --MzFitz

"...eating Cheetos." --td

Posted by: td | August 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Does politics attract jerks or are jerks attracted to politics?

John McMaverick dumps first wife, who is in the throes of a painful recovery, for Mz Beer Woman Trophy Wife.

Now, Saint John Edwards cheats on his cancer fighting wife with some bimbo.

Are female politicians this gross?

Posted by: Curmudgeon gets cranky(er) | August 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, big fat news about Edwards!
/sigh I don't have any snark for this. I'm just disappointed, and sad for his wife and kids.

(Okay, maybe a little snark- are we going to have to start taking the Enquirer seriously now? If they're not careful, they'll turn into a legitimate news outlet. Or at least the New York Post.)

Posted by: Bawlmer | August 8, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

So, if we're hypocrites and idiots at the same time, does that mean I'm actually multi-tasking?

Posted by: B'More Cat and Saab Story Lover | August 8, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say he wanted a license plates blog? http://blog.akplates.org/

Posted by: i can't believe it either | August 8, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, me too on Edwards - no snark, just really disappointed. And also kind of irritated at the stupidity.

Posted by: h3 | August 8, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, maybe it's just presidential candidates with four-letter names. (The two Johns, Bill, Gary (Hart) back in the day...)

On an unrelated topic, and re: local celebs, I really hope Mei Xiang the panda has cubs this year! I've been haunting the National Zoo website for the past few weeks. Would love to see her baby bump.

Posted by: Bawlmer | August 8, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. And also annoyed with wapost for forcing this news on me via email alert.

"Infidelity? We must tell everyone! The escalation of conflict between Russia and Georgia?...meh."

Posted by: Sully | August 8, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Medge asks:

"Are female politicians this gross?"

Politicians are not saints. Each politician has his/her own set of vices. If not sex, then power or money.

Senator Clinton pumped several million dollars of her own money into her gasping campaign when it was evident to everyone that Senator Obama had won the nomination. But not to worry, because the price for Senator Clinton's endorsement of Senator Obama would be for Senator Obama's campaign to take on the outstanding debt of the Clinton campaign. To put it simply: she realized that campaigning at the end would cost her nothing, because she was effectively playing with his money.

Then there is the matter of the Speaker of the House's absolute refusal to entertain anything close to a motion to impeach POTUS during this session of Congress, as well as the Speaker's refusal (at least until today)to put a bill to permit offshore oil drilling on the House agenda.

There's Nasty Jean Schmidt:

And the wacko woman who helped Bush steal the 2000 Presidential election:

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Ditto on the disappointed in Edwards. That chick is kind of rough looking. Elizabeth E., even plumper and with cancer, is more attractive. Not to mention his actual wife.

Several years back, there was a stray tom hanging around my yard and actually sneaking in through the cat door. I had his cojones rescinded.

Turns out he belonged to a neighbor. I'm not sure they ever noticed the missing accessories.

Posted by: epony | August 8, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, how's this?

The Post reported, in ultra-right wing family-values Congresswoman Helen Chenoweth's obit, that "Days after she ran television ads attacking President Bill Clinton for having an affair with a White House intern, and urging him to resign, she admitted that she had a long-term affair in the 1980s with a married man."

From "Militia-Friendly Idaho Rep. Helen Chenoweth-Hage"

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 8, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epony | August 8, 2008 4:02 PM

Haha, wow. Epony takes charge of a situation.

Posted by: Sully | August 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Not a plate exactly, but a plate frame on a Mercedes:

"My other car is a Mercedes."

Posted by: ADHD wanted to plow it with his 20 year old Datsun | August 8, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

If we don't like when Liz posts about politicians -- because it brings crazy people to this blog -- then why are we talking about politicians now?

Just sayin'.

Though since you brought it up: John Edwards -- what a total doof. Schmuck.

Posted by: td | August 8, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, td, how about because Rielle Hunter made films about John Edwards?

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 8, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

What? What's this? John Edwards is Cleigh Aiken's baby-daddy?

Posted by: ADHD is so confused | August 8, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Then there was Congressman John G. Schmitz (so extreme even the John Birch Society eventually renounced him), who was defiantly unapologetic for having fathered two children out of wedlock with a mistress. At least one of his children by his wife must have found his behavior psychologically scarring, because she grew up to be child-molesting school-teacher Mary Kay LeTourneau.

Posted by: Nosy Parker is ashamed of knowing this without having to look it up, but checked just to be sure | August 8, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

So sad about Newman. What a classy guy. I too loved the film "Nobody's Fool"--as much for all the scenes with him and Jessica Tandy, who I adored. It was her last film.

I have an imdb pro account and have his agent and publicist's names and addresses if anyone is seriously interested in sending something. Personally I think the Newman's Own route is better.

Posted by: hermespal | August 8, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The John Edwards discussion this afternoon intersects nicely with the discussion of the stray Tom cats.

Posted by: Groovis | August 8, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Groovis | August 8, 2008 4:39 PM

***************************************

Just don't let John Edwards near epony.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 8, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Just got my mail including the new Vanity Fair (Carla Bruni cover) and there's a fabulous tribute article about Paul Newman. Run don't walk to your nearest magazine stand.

Posted by: hermespal | August 8, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Just don't let John Edwards near epony.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 8, 2008 4:43 PM

LOL! ROTFLMAO!!!!
Really. I did laugh out loud.

The excitement here in downtown Baltimore right now is that they are about to move the USS Constellation out of its berth. It's going to Locust Point Marine Terminal to participate in the commissioning ceremony for the USS Sterrett.

Just thought you all might want to know that.

Posted by: B'More Cat and Pony Lover | August 8, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey, thanks B'More Cat. I can almost see the Constellation from my office. It'll be odd to see the Inner Harbor w/o it!

Posted by: td | August 8, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

B'More Cat, Bawlmer, or anyone else: What was that pop ballad that mentioned the USS Constellation in the lyrics? Think it was back in the '80s.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 8, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

USS Sterrett DDG 104, Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer
Built at Bath Iron Works:

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 8, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Sasquatch,

Was it Istanbul (not Constantinople) by They Might Be Giants?

Posted by: B'More Cat and Constellation Lover | August 8, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Cool! I didn't realize they were commissioning a ship this weekend. Wish I wasn't going out of town tomorrow, I'd like to see the ceremony.

Posted by: Bawlmer | August 8, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey, that tom cat had matted, raggedy hair, plus he sprayed in my house.

He looked much nicer several months after his dejewelling. Edward's hair is very well kempt, so he might not benefit as much as T. Cat did. But if John ever tries to squeeze through the cat door, all bets are off.

Posted by: epony | August 8, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

gunther ringtone gunther ringtone [link=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/sitzarel.htm]gunther ringtone[/link]

Posted by: gunther ringtone | August 9, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

page www [link=http://internicmovingservices.com/help/icons/thumbs/sitemap.html]site[/link]

Posted by: main | August 9, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

site page [link=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/index.html]home[/link]

Posted by: top | August 9, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: top | August 9, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

url [URL=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/sitemap.htm]web[/URL] [url=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/sitemap.htm]www[/url] [url]http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/sitemap.htm[/url]

Posted by: homepage | August 9, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

eugene jarvis [URL=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new1513.htm]eugene jarvis[/URL] [url=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new1513.htm]eugene jarvis[/url] [url]http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new1513.htm[/url]

Posted by: eugene jarvis | August 9, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

microsoft windows genuine advantage cracked microsoft windows genuine advantage cracked [link=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new747.htm]microsoft windows genuine advantage cracked[/link]

Posted by: microsoft windows genuine advantage cracked | August 9, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

xratedlist [URL=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new1103.htm]xratedlist[/URL] [url=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new1103.htm]xratedlist[/url] [url]http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new1103.htm[/url]

Posted by: xratedlist | August 9, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: xratedlist | August 9, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

movie narnia sequel movie narnia sequel [link=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new1362.htm]movie narnia sequel[/link]

Posted by: movie narnia sequel | August 9, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

LIZ, PLEASE REMOVE SPAM MESSAGES THAT STARTED ON AUGUST 9, 2008, AT 2:08 PM.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 9, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

polynomial model data [URL=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new452.htm]polynomial model data[/URL] [url=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new452.htm]polynomial model data[/url] [url]http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new452.htm[/url]

Posted by: polynomial model data | August 9, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

jervis [URL=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new2008.htm]jervis[/URL] [url=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new2008.htm]jervis[/url] [url]http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new2008.htm[/url]

Posted by: jervis | August 9, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

isuka ost torrent [URL=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new897.htm]isuka ost torrent[/URL] [url=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new897.htm]isuka ost torrent[/url] [url]http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new897.htm[/url]

Posted by: isuka ost torrent | August 9, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

erwin data modeler 4.1.4 crack erwin data modeler 4.1.4 crack [link=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new934.htm]erwin data modeler 4.1.4 crack[/link]

Posted by: erwin data modeler 4.1.4 crack | August 9, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

page [URL=http://internicmovingservices.com/help/icons/thumbs/index.html]www[/URL] [url=http://internicmovingservices.com/help/icons/thumbs/index.html]site[/url] [url]http://internicmovingservices.com/help/icons/thumbs/index.html[/url]

Posted by: index | August 9, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

killswitch engage lyrics [URL=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/bocfokcn.htm]killswitch engage lyrics[/URL] [url=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/bocfokcn.htm]killswitch engage lyrics[/url] [url]http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/bocfokcn.htm[/url]

Posted by: killswitch engage lyrics | August 9, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

url http [link=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/sitemap.html]site[/link]

Posted by: homepage | August 9, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

methylator methylator [link=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/bofarolet.htm]methylator[/link]

Posted by: methylator | August 9, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

www.musclehunks.com [URL=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/mexrelmo.htm]www.musclehunks.com[/URL] [url=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/mexrelmo.htm]www.musclehunks.com[/url] [url]http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/mexrelmo.htm[/url]

Posted by: www.musclehunks.com | August 9, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

20 inch monster cock [URL=http://geraldinesboutique.com/about/media/2/news-925-20080614.html]20 inch monster cock[/URL] [url=http://geraldinesboutique.com/about/media/2/news-925-20080614.html]20 inch monster cock[/url] [url]http://geraldinesboutique.com/about/media/2/news-925-20080614.html[/url]

Posted by: 20 inch monster cock | August 9, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

elementary schools colorado springs [URL=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic436.htm]elementary schools colorado springs[/URL] [url=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic436.htm]elementary schools colorado springs[/url] [url]http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic436.htm[/url]

Posted by: elementary schools colorado springs | August 9, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

sundstrom respirators [URL=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic1531.htm]sundstrom respirators[/URL] [url=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic1531.htm]sundstrom respirators[/url] [url]http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic1531.htm[/url]

Posted by: sundstrom respirators | August 9, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sundstrom respirators | August 9, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

movie how to lose a guy in 10 [URL=http://geraldinesboutique.com/about/media/2/news-1388-20080615.html]movie how to lose a guy in 10[/URL] [url=http://geraldinesboutique.com/about/media/2/news-1388-20080615.html]movie how to lose a guy in 10[/url] [url]http://geraldinesboutique.com/about/media/2/news-1388-20080615.html[/url]

Posted by: movie how to lose a guy in 10 | August 10, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

full state map of california full state map of california [link=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new923.htm]full state map of california[/link]

Posted by: full state map of california | August 10, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

alexa kai video [URL=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/defuzfuca.htm]alexa kai video[/URL] [url=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/defuzfuca.htm]alexa kai video[/url] [url]http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/defuzfuca.htm[/url]

Posted by: alexa kai video | August 10, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

phish bit torrents [URL=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/ornrbofi.htm]phish bit torrents[/URL] [url=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/ornrbofi.htm]phish bit torrents[/url] [url]http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/ornrbofi.htm[/url]

Posted by: phish bit torrents | August 10, 2008 2:31 AM | Report abuse

traducir [URL=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/cnachib.htm]traducir[/URL] [url=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/cnachib.htm]traducir[/url] [url]http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/cnachib.htm[/url]

Posted by: traducir | August 10, 2008 3:07 AM | Report abuse

pet site toy web pet site toy web [link=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new852.htm]pet site toy web[/link]

Posted by: pet site toy web | August 10, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

acetaminophen drug information [URL=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic1580.htm]acetaminophen drug information[/URL] [url=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic1580.htm]acetaminophen drug information[/url] [url]http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic1580.htm[/url]

Posted by: acetaminophen drug information | August 10, 2008 7:17 AM | Report abuse

ls magazine [URL=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic1043.htm]ls magazine[/URL] [url=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic1043.htm]ls magazine[/url] [url]http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic1043.htm[/url]

Posted by: ls magazine | August 10, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

cream filled pussy [URL=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic681.htm]cream filled pussy[/URL] [url=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic681.htm]cream filled pussy[/url] [url]http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic681.htm[/url]

Posted by: cream filled pussy | August 10, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

real squirting orgasm [URL=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/actrvised.htm]real squirting orgasm[/URL] [url=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/actrvised.htm]real squirting orgasm[/url] [url]http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/actrvised.htm[/url]

Posted by: real squirting orgasm | August 10, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

india spice omaha ne india spice omaha ne [link=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/lovarsaba.htm]india spice omaha ne[/link]

Posted by: india spice omaha ne | August 10, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

link page [link=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/index.htm]home[/link]

Posted by: url | August 10, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

LIZ, PLEASE REMOVE ADDITIONAL SPAM MESSAGES.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

equal employee opportunity equal employee opportunity [link=http://proflane.com/squint/cart/email/files/topic565.htm]equal employee opportunity[/link]

Posted by: equal employee opportunity | August 13, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

psxvideo download [URL=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new2149.htm]psxvideo download[/URL] [url=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new2149.htm]psxvideo download[/url] [url]http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new2149.htm[/url]

Posted by: psxvideo download | August 13, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

memorable movie quotes garden state [URL=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/sitpleltc.htm]memorable movie quotes garden state[/URL] [url=http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/sitpleltc.htm]memorable movie quotes garden state[/url] [url]http://rakks.com/store/images/pixel/sitpleltc.htm[/url]

Posted by: memorable movie quotes garden state | August 13, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

navajo culture [URL=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new522.htm]navajo culture[/URL] [url=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new522.htm]navajo culture[/url] [url]http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new522.htm[/url]

Posted by: navajo culture | August 13, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

picture of meg ryan [URL=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new1807.htm]picture of meg ryan[/URL] [url=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new1807.htm]picture of meg ryan[/url] [url]http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/new1807.htm[/url]

Posted by: picture of meg ryan | August 13, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

carpet bombing [URL=http://internicmovingservices.com/help/icons/thumbs/topic747.htm]carpet bombing[/URL] [url=http://internicmovingservices.com/help/icons/thumbs/topic747.htm]carpet bombing[/url] [url]http://internicmovingservices.com/help/icons/thumbs/topic747.htm[/url]

Posted by: carpet bombing | August 14, 2008 2:11 AM | Report abuse

web page [link=http://nijlane.com/site_images/sec_photos/pics/index.htm]home[/link]

Posted by: url | August 14, 2008 4:32 AM | Report abuse