Posted at 7:40 AM ET, 08/11/2008

Morning Mix: McCain, Obama Vie for Angelina's Endorsement

By Liz Kelly
Monday

Hugh Laurie performs with celebrity cover band 'Band From TV' at the Netflix Live! on Location concert in L.A. on Saturday. Other band members include 'Lost's' Jorge Garcia, 'Chuck's' Zachary Levi, 'Desperate Housewives'' James Denton and 'Heroes's' Adrian Pasdar. (AP)

Headlines: Isaac Hayes dead at 65 | Appreciation... Bernie Mac succumbs to pneumonia | Appreciation... Obama and McCain campaigns vie for Angelina Jolie's support... Clay Aiken "thrilled" about birth of son... Britney Spears pokes fun at herself in Video Music Awards promo... Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban wear nauseating matchy-matchy outfits... Richard Dreyfuss sues father and uncle over decades-old loan.

Rumor Mill: Julia Stiles mistakenly thinks someone wants to take her picture... A-Rod donating $500K to Madonna's Malawi charity?... Champagne buy sparks Daniel Craig wedding rumor (gratuitous link).

In Case You Missed It: As Madonna reaches the half century mark, Hank Stuever considers Madge's impact on his pop culture world view and a ream of magazine covers. | Gallery

Say What?
"It's going to be in the orchards and it's going to bear some wonderful fruit." -- Matthew McConaughey, discussing plans for his newborn son's placenta.

By Liz Kelly  | August 11, 2008; 7:40 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nothing Comes Between Katie and Her Toms -- Except Me
Next: Britney Spears: Ready for Her Close-Up?

Comments

I never understood the appeal of Juilia Stiles. I mean her head is huge when it is pulled off her face and she seems snotty in most of her movies.

I've read other rumors about her being rude to fans in the past. I think she thinks way to highly of herself.

Posted by: Irishgirl | August 11, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Stiles is...well, I think she's an interesting actress (I liked her in Bourne), but I also get the impression she is a Serious Artist and actively rejects the celebrity role, so this story is doubly amusing since all she did was draw attention to herself. I'd love to see her play a dramatic role against Ed Harris, though...she seems a natural choice to play his daughter.

Posted by: 23112 | August 11, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Also, RIP Isaac Hayes and Bernie Mac. I'm particularly sad about Mac's passing...my wife and I liked him a lot.

Posted by: 23112 | August 11, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm very sad about Bernie Mac. I always found his show to be very funny and loved him the the Ocean's movies. It looks like his family expected him to pull through.

McCain- I like you, but do you really think Ang will endorse you? (oh no! more political talk!!)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

You know, I just don't really care what Matthew McConaughey does with his son's placenta. TMI, IMHO.

As for Daniel Craig, maybe the man just wanted to buy some champagne. But thanks for the gratuitous link, Liz!

Posted by: Sappho | August 11, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

RIP Bernie Mac & Issac Hayes.

That Matthew McConaughey is such a hoot.

Liz Kelly loves us! Thanks for the gratuitous Daniel Craig link.

Posted by: methinks | August 11, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

dude, is richard dreyfus hard up for money? i mean, his uncle and father have got to be old men by now. and this loan was from 24 years ago.

Posted by: m | August 11, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

RIP Bernie Mac and Issac Hayes.

Welcome to the world Parker Foster, hope you have a "normal" life...

Thank you Liz for the Daniel Craig link! It helped brighten up a Monday morning.

Posted by: turtle | August 11, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

With all these deaths lately, it seems like Celebritology suddenly has an unusually high morbidity. Is Liz Kelly cursed?

...OTOH...

With all these births lately, it seems like Celebritology suddenly has an unusually high fecundity. Is Liz Kelly blessed?

Show of hands: everyone who hopes the Obama and McCain campaigns get the same greeting from Brangelina's bodyguards as those paparazzi did a couple of weeks ago.

Britney Spears pokes fun at herself in Video Music Awards promo, which is why the US article, instead of telling us what the jokes are offered readers a link to "See photos of Britney Spears in a bikini." Way to stay classy, US.

Richard Dreyfuss: Neither a borrower nor a lender be/But if the latter, pursue repayment with alacrity.

Posted by: byoolin wins gold in Freestyle Drowning for Non-Swimmers. | August 11, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

My condolences to Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes families.

Matthew McConaughey: Why is such a good-looking man so damn stupid?

Posted by: Lisa1 | August 11, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Remind me never to eat the produce in the McConaughey house.

Posted by: M Street | August 11, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

A placenta tree?!? Well, you learn something new every day.

Posted by: surlychick | August 11, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

OK, this is so totally gross...it far out grosses Matt's tree.

In some cultures, apparently, the Daddy eats the placenta. Yup. Eats it. So, when I was pregnant, my DH starts talking about that and discussing how to prepare it and such. I put the kibosh on that idea PDQ.

Posted by: sunnydaze | August 11, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

RIP Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes. Great performers both and will be sorely missed.

Posted by: sunnydaze | August 11, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Ooooh, Hugh Laurie and Daniel Craig in the same morning? THANK YOU, LIZ!!

Posted by: jaybbub | August 11, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

RIP Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes. What a sad weekend.

Matthew McConoughey has officially entered whackadoodle territory. Before, he was just odd.

Geez, both candidates only want the Angelina endorsement because of all the stupid people who will sudden vote for that candidate because she said so.

Speakng of Angelina, I saw a headline over the weekend that said "Trail of Cheetos Lead to Thief." My first thought: One of the Jolie-Pitt kids escaped and knocked over a convenience store.

Posted by: ep | August 11, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Also, could Matthew McConaughey please, PLEASE just go away? I never found him at all attractive, and that was back before I knew he was a total idiot.

Posted by: jaybbub | August 11, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

fwiw, planting the placenta is a pretty common practice in many cultures. me, i just gave mine to a blood cord bank, but whatever.

Posted by: g | August 11, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

RIP, Hayes and Mac--two fine men who died way too soon...

Posted by: Miss Penny Lane | August 11, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I am sad about Bernie Mac's death. He was such a great entertainer. Sad that he died so very young.

The Dreyfuss Affair: Uh, Richard, I'm sure there is some ugly family baggage/history festering here, but suing your Pop and uncle over a 20-year-old loan deal makes me think that you weren't really acting in "What About Bob?"; my advice: let it go, man, let it go.

And Nicole and Keith, whenever I see a couple decked out in matching outfits, inwardly I shudder. Just don't do it. Yeech.

Final thought. Never really saw the attraction for Matthew McConaughey, what with the no-de-od policy. I was disinterested, now I'm sliding into actively disliking him. Just shaddup already Mattie. Jeez.

Posted by: NW DC | August 11, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Julia Stiles has a Joker mouth.

Posted by: candyman | August 11, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

i think its unfortunate that some of you are critical of other ethnicities and cultures. just because you think planting the placenta is wrong, doesn't mean that it is. no need to be so self-centered.

Posted by: anonymous for now | August 11, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I hate to open a potential can of worms here, but aren't Obama and McCain ignoring the potential backlash of Team Aniston-ers that will never vote for anyone with the endorsement of a homewrecking huzzy?

Posted by: Ra the Funktress | August 11, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Was Celebritology bumped from the WaPo home page because of a deline in the number of posts?

Posted by: anon | August 11, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

NW DC: Thank you for "The Dreyfuss Affair." Nicely done.

Ra the Funktress: Perhaps the endorsement of Team Aniston will be sought by John Edwards the next time he runs for office.

I don't want to be that complaining guy, Liz Kelly, but that Julia Stiles story wasn't even a story. Replace "Julia Stiles" with [Your Name Here] and the bit is intantly transformed into "Person may have made snarky remark in restaurant." That's pretty thin gruel, even for the NY Post.

Posted by: byoolin thinks what the NY Post needs is a good 'Katie Holmes farts onstage' story. | August 11, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Er, "instantly."

Posted by: byoolin is intantly embarrassed. | August 11, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

have you guys been watching the olympics - specifically the swimming?

go Michael Phelps!

we need to talk more about him here on celebritology island.

Posted by: olympics fan | August 11, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

anonymous for now, I know that it seems that the comments are being critical of other cultures. While I cannot speak on behalf of the posters, I would like to think that their snarking is based on the fact that we are talking about Matthew McConaughey making this statement. Remember, regarding high school girls, "I get older, they stay the same age." I don't think that there was a lot of acting being done in Dazed and Confused. Naked bongos, Sleeping in a ditch while his GF is 8 and a half months pregnant, the voice of beef, etc.

The regular posters seem to be pretty open-minded folks, who stand up to discrimination, close-mindedness, etc.

Posted by: Mz Fitz | August 11, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

My condolences to the friends and families of Isaac Hayes and Bernie Mac. I will miss both of their presences.

Posted by: Sully | August 11, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

And on a completely different note- I really wish we could go a week without the mention of placenta or weird off-spring (I'm looking at you, Clay).

I blame Celebritology for the highly disturbing dream I had last night...

Posted by: Sully is simultaneously creeped out and grossed out. | August 11, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mz Fitz | August 11, 2008 10:35 AM

I wish I could agree with you, but the "gross" comments by Sunnydaze and similar posts by other regular commentators seem to contradict your belief that the regular posters are "pretty open-minded folks." Its pretty pathetic.

Posted by: anonymous for now | August 11, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I second Mz Fitz. I went back and read the comments again and I really think everyone was snarking Matt, not the actual practice of burying the placenta and I see no reference to ethnicity or culture at all. My comment was in reference to my own experience and was not meant to say that others shouldn't eat whatever they want whenever they want...

Posted by: sunnydaze | August 11, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Mmmm, gratuitous Daniel Craig.

Mmmmm, gratuitous Hugh Laurie!

::nom nom nom nom::

Posted by: Bawlmer is sneezing her brains out. | August 11, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sunnydaze | August 11, 2008 10:46 AM

Whatever. I agree with 10:45.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Maybe you should go here:

Posted by: to Olympics Fan | August 11, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I believe in the immense and joyful variety of human experience, and wholeheartedly embrace the variety of ways humanity has adapted to life on this Earth.

I also find a variety of things gross. The act, not necessarily the culture that spawned it. This includes, but is not limited to, eating
i. human placenta,
ii. live octopi,
and iii. blood pudding.

I would, however, be interested in trying crickets.

Posted by: Bawlmer won't even get into hot dogs. | August 11, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

How on earth is buying a crate of champagne a sign that one is about to be married? If that were the case, I'd have been married several times instead of just once. But if Daniel Craig wants to buy me a crate of champagne, I'll gladly marry him for an hour or so.

I wonder what buying a case of whiskey says? hmmm...

Posted by: jelo | August 11, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what buying a case of whiskey says? hmmm...

Posted by: jelo | August 11, 2008 11:00 AM

************************************

That typically means I have family in town.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 11, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

While eating the placenta might be part of some cultures, eating a human internal organ is gross. Period.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what buying a case of whiskey says? hmmm...

Posted by: jelo | August 11, 2008 11:00 AM
__________________________________

Motley Crue is in town?

I would think that McCain would be in a bit of an uphill battle on that one. I would think it's more likely that Brad would make some kind of endorsementwhile Angie stays quiet.

Posted by: EricS | August 11, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I think all things regarding placenta are gross.

...so I guess that makes me critical of all cultures equally.

Hmm...what else do I think is gross?

Raw meat. I guess I'm narrow-minded with regards to animals, too. Sorry, animals. Your interior bits are gross, ergo, I think less of you.

Posted by: Sully is looking for the logic | August 11, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:11 AM

typical celeb poster. anonymous, racist, and unappreciative of diversity.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what buying a case of whiskey says? hmmm...

Posted by: jelo | August 11, 2008 11:00 AM
__________________________________

"I need something strong to wash this placenta down."

Posted by: M Street | August 11, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:11 AM

However, if it is accompanied by fava beans and a nice chianti.......

Posted by: b | August 11, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Ewwwww. Someone said placenta and period in the same post. I think that's gross. I must hate women.

Wait, I am a woman...

Posted by: Sully might not be a hater, but she is obnoxious. | August 11, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

What does buying a case of whisky mean?

You're a poptart trying to get pregnant.

Just because some other culture does it, does not mean I have to like it. Honor killings are acceptable in some cultures. Denying women education is acceptable in some cultures. I don't find those acceptable. At least the placenta thing just fails in the "Don't tell me about it if you do it" category.

Posted by: ep | August 11, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the hugh laurie and daniel craig pix!

heartbreaking news about isaac hayes and bernie mac.

isaac had a lot to do with memphis music and the *stax* sound that defined the early days of soul. he came back to Memphis from New York several years ago and was an awesome ambassador for the city and a truly positive influence in the local community.

we will miss him dearly.

Posted by: b | August 11, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what buying a case of whiskey says? hmmm...

Posted by: jelo | August 11, 2008 11:00 AM

It says I have no intention of remembering the rest of this month.

RIP Bernie Mac & Isaac Hayes.

Posted by: jes | August 11, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I hate to tell you regulars, but you are some of the most egostitical, most closed minded people in all of chat land.
I am sure McConaughey could care less about what any of us think anyway. He is in perfct health, makes millions a year, and sleeps with one of the most beautiful women in the world every night. He is living a dream life that 99% of can only wish we had.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the troll delivery service is working overtime...

However ordered the 11:32 a.m. troll, it's here and you need to pick it up ASAP.

Posted by: b | August 11, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but if you are trying to convince us that people who oppose eating human organs are racist then you need to find a new blog. I'm sure On Parenting would love to hear your views.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I just want to clarify something. Is the placenta an organ or a byproduct? When I hear organ, I think heart, liver, lungs, stomach. The placenta really is not a permanent part of the body. But, hey, there is a reason I went to law school rather than med school.

Posted by: ep | August 11, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

re: the matching Kidman/Urban outfits...when that happens to me and my husband (or my husband and I, I always forget which), whoever got dressed last has to change.
The Kidman/Urbans should institute that rule for happy marriage and good style.

Posted by: methinks | August 11, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"Is the placenta an organ or a byproduct?"

Well, the reference I use for each surgery I perform, Wikipedia, says it's an "ephemeral organ... that functions as a foetomaternal organ with two components, the foetal part (Chorion frondosum), and the maternal part (Decidua basailis)."

It also says that the word itself comes from the Latin word for "cake," and people of every culture eat cake.

Posted by: Dr. Nick byoolin says "Hey, everybody!" | August 11, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dr. Nick byoolin says "Hey, everybody!" | August 11, 2008 11:43 AM

********************************************

Posted by: Dorkus | August 11, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"...when that happens to me and my husband (or my husband and I, I always forget which)..." - Posted by: methinks | August 11, 2008 11:42 AM

*****

It's 'me'. As in "me always forget which."

Posted by: byoolin polices the grammar and gets booted off the force. | August 11, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

oh, well, nicole and keith will always have the fact they both like "breakfast at tiffany's."

Posted by: b makes obscure song reference | August 11, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

To all my whiskey answerers, I say, this month, I'ma buying two cases of Canadian Club. Thank you all for inspiring me.

And I think its official: Matthew McConaughey is the most stupid celebrity on the planet. Do what you want with your son's placenta, but for chrissakes, keep it private.

Posted by: jelo | August 11, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: b makes obscure song reference | August 11, 2008 11:51 AM

Oh, b. That's going to be stuck in my head all day.

Posted by: Sully hums along. | August 11, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

It isn't blood pudding, it's blood sausage or black pudding. And, I might add, it is delicious. Rich and filling, but very delicious.
And, I thought the mom was supposed to eat the placenta for strength after giving birth? That was the nature of the teasing I was subjected to when I was pregnant.

Posted by: Extra cheese, hold the placenta | August 11, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

After missing the window for the pain killers, delivering the placenta wasn't as painful as delivering the kids.

Since Mr. Lurker and I were a wee bit overwhelmed and tired, we decided to take a pass on the post-delivery snacks, and wait for the cheetos cart to make the rounds.

I agree with ep - I respect your culture and decisions, but it's not something I could do, and I don't want to know.....(Just because the ancient Hawaiians used to run the lava rocks to pop the newborn's umbilical cord into a hole, doesn't mean I need to run to the village center and carve a hole in the rocks too.)

Dr. Byoolin, I think perhaps we may want to know when you baking our cakes on the Island....

Now where's my shot of whiskey?

Posted by: anonymous lurker | August 11, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sully's a little late | August 11, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus wonders:
"I wonder how much the French Revolution would have changed if Marie Antoinette had said 'Let them eat placenta.'"

Wince Marie Antoinette had uterine cancer at about that time, that statement would probably have been uttered in a fit of jealousy.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 11, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

My mom kept my umbilical cord in a jar next to her bed. I'll bet it's still there. She wouldn't eat it, that's gross. She was a science teacher, and brought it into class for lessons. Her nickname in the 80's was Miss Fitz of Science, remember that show?

I'm sure that the placenta just ended up in the trash. That's too bad, I became attached to that thing.

Posted by: Mz Fitz | August 11, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute. According to the US weekly article, are we supposed to believe that Clay's son was actually born at 8:08 am on 8/8/08?"

It all starts with the belief that Clay ain't geigh. Then everything falls into place.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 11, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Hugh Laurie, I highly recommend going to Netflix right now and renting "Fortysomething". He did this right before House. It is hilarious and he's proper nakked in one scene(from the back anyway)

Posted by: luvhugh | August 11, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Extra cheese - you are absolutely correct that is the Mom who eats it in such various places as Morrocco and the Czech Republic. I guess I had it in my mind that it was the Dad since it was in fact my husband who was contemplating doing this. There was no possibility that I was going to eat that. None. Apparently, some folks think that it helps with post-partum depression. And some people also dry it and grind it into powder and take it in capsules. Either way, I, personally will pass.

Also, Tom nuttier-than-nougat Cruise said that he was going to eat the placenta when Suri was born. Apparently either Kat(i)e put her foot down too, or he backed out on his own.

Posted by: sunnydaze did not mean to start this placenta sh!t storm | August 11, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer - Mr. sunnydaze has, in fact, deep fried some crickets and eaten them. He says that with a little salt, they are very much like popcorn. I don't care for popcorn either, so I am also passing on the crickets.

Posted by: sunnydaze | August 11, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

thankyouthankyouthankyou

Posted by: b luvs hugh too | August 11, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

To all the anonymous posters, I'm sure if we tried hard enough we could find a cultural tradition you find personally distasteful. I don't think this necessarily means you can't appreciate diversity.

Posted by: jes | August 11, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Fitz, you *were* attached to that thing. Then you got born and they cut it.

Posted by: ep | August 11, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"Hey, Dr. Nick (byoolin)!"

Good to know, sunnydaze. I'd prefer crickets lightly fried or toasted and covered with Old Bay.

Posted by: Bawlmer | August 11, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Before we start placing orders to refill the stockroom of the Tiki Bar, we must remember that when refering to Scotch whisky, do not use an "e" in th spelling.

Whiskey (with an "e") is the stuff made elsewhere.

Now, Matthew dear, do go somewhere else to live and take Clay's placenta with you.

Posted by: Curmudgeon gets cranky(er) | August 11, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what buying a case of whiskey says? hmmm...

Posted by: jelo | August 11, 2008 11:00 AM
__________________________________

"I need something strong to wash this placenta down."

Posted by: M Street | August 11, 2008 11:20 AM

I just spit my lunchtime 4Bucks Latte all over my laptop after reading that one. Too funny!

Posted by: to M Street | August 11, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Bad News: Defamer website sez Tori Spelling has quit the new 90210 because Doherty & Garth were being paid more ($35K-$50K) than she ($10K-$20K) was.

Owe, the humanity!

Good News: Presumably the producers can now hire Silver and pay him even less ($peanuts) and pocket the rest ($10K-$20K).

Posted by: Now byoolin needs to go buy a case of whiskey. And a case of whisky, just in case. | August 11, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say they were very successful if those outifts were supposed to match.

Diiferent hats, totally different shirts, different style jackets (couldn't he get one that fit?), different color jeans.

Posted by: m | August 11, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

You Celebritology posters have demonstrated your racist ignorance of other cultures yet again. If you cared about any culture other than your own suburban white-bread wasteland, you would know:

1. Among certain bongo-playing stoner tribes of Central Texas, the placenta fruit is considered a delicacy.

2. It is an age-old mating ritual for couples in the Talentless Celebrity culture of Australia to dress each other in matching black leather outfits.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I was all set to introduce my placenta pressure processor but George beat me out with the Forman Grill.

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 11, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The Kidman/Urbans should institute that rule for happy marriage and good style.

Posted by: methinks | August 11, 2008 11:42 AM

Word.

Nothing like a nice,little Monday morning palate cleanser like Daniel Craig in a Speedo.

On the placenta front, I think Pam Anderson buried her kids placenta's on her property somewhere.

Posted by: Bored @ work | August 11, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I was all set to introduce my Placenta Pressure Processor but George beat me out with his Foreman Grill!

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 11, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

sorry for the dupe posting!

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 11, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Keep on coming up with new, brilliant ideas, E Howe. Don't let a simple Forman Grill stifle you.

Perhaps we could collaborate on one of my personal brainstorms: the f**t-o-meter.

Conceptually, it's a hand-held device that one can take to flea markets to test the cushions on used chairs, sofas, etc.

So, for example, if the meter's needle gets into the red zone, dive for cover it's gonna blow. And don't buy that sofa.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 11, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Matthew McConaughey knows nothing about other cultures than which one grows the best weed He wants to bury the placenta because it would help weed grow faster.

Posted by: NYU | August 11, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Do whatever multicultural things you want with your organs. Just don't tell the press about it. That's when it becomes gross.

Posted by: Oh Come On | August 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I think it's funny that some people get so upset by anonymous posts. Is a post somehow more valid because the person identifies themselves as poopoo27 or clayluver42. Does that mean we somehow know that person. These are all made up names.

Posted by: anon and proud | August 11, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

We Central Texans do not consider the fruit of the placenta to be a delicacy. We do however love a good brisket, enchiladas, and fried catfish.

Posted by: Dorkus, realizing how unsatisfying his lunch was... | August 11, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Mudge, but even I know that grilled foods are tastier than pressure cooked one!

And the F-O-M, what a concept! I have been working on testing devices for flea market products. The one I have in the prototype stage is the Indent-O-Meter. This device gauges the desirability of the purchase by measuring the depth and width of the "crater" in the cushion. Obviously, a smaller "crater" means a smaller person used it or maybe one with a less active sex life!

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 11, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

for those olympic fans, here's a cool site with pix of olympians.

Antonio Rossi is cool.

Posted by: nice pix!!!!! | August 11, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anon and proud | August 11, 2008 1:21 PM

Seriously. Some of the regular celeb blog posters get all uptight about "anonymous" posters. Its not like anyone really knows anything about anyone else. Everyone's really anonymous. These "Lizards" just want to act like they are part of some cool clique from high school.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

check this out ladies! you'll thank me later!!!

Posted by: ab glory | August 11, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus - here's a solution to your unsatisfying lunch problem:

Now you won't want to eat for the rest of the day!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Getting upset with people for posting under anonymous names is silly. However, no offense to the average Celebritology reader (I read the blog every day), but this doesn't really seem like the place to come for deep, inspiring, and non-shallow conversation. I wouldn't enjoy reading racial slurs or offensive sexual remarks on Celebritology, but I probably wouldn't feel the need to engage in a prolonged debate over whether it's racist to be grossed out by placenta and its many uses. I am not a regular poster, by the way.

Posted by: mal | August 11, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

What mal (who is not a regular poster but still managed to come up with a handle for him/herself) said. You want deep, inspiring, and non-shallow conversation? Send an IM to Dear Abby.

But if you're going to post as "Anonymous," at least make it worthwhile - like 1:06 did. That's some quality snark, there. Complaining about the rest of us is kind of like complaining about the government. Except we don't have a 'watch list.'

Posted by: byoolinonymous *hopes* we don't have a 'watch list,' that is. | August 11, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the world Parker Foster, hope you have a "normal" life...

Posted by: turtle | August 11, 2008 9:13 AM

Well, we all know he'll have a NORML life, won't he?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 11, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:06 PM

Only if they are wearing black AC/DC t-shirts!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

This is the ad on this page!

10 Rules of Flat Stomach
Cut Down 9 lbs of Stomach Fat every 11 Days by Keeping these 10 Rules.

Posted by: atb must be near! | August 11, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

check this out ladies! you'll thank me later!!!

Posted by: ab glory | August 11, 2008 1:28 PM

thanks. i'm saved this gallery as my monday morning gallery. hahahahaa

Posted by: thanks abs | August 11, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

check this out ladies! you'll thank me later!!!

Posted by: ab glory | August 11, 2008 1:28 PM

That was the BEST link but seriously do you think that NBC could do the same with women? Instead of guess the ABs it is Guess the Rack.

Posted by: SE | August 11, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Isaac Hayes' History With Scientology

(How the so-called Church of Scientology f**ked Hayes)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anon and proud | August 11, 2008 1:21 PM

Well, I think we can all take a pretty educated guess on what clayluver42 would be like. I mean that makes it a little too easy doesn't it?

Posted by: jes | August 11, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

not sure what to make of the 2:24 p.m. post... on the one hand, i'm willing to believe that of scientology, but on the other hand, it's posted on fauxnews....

and it seems more than a little unseemly that he's willing to reveal all these personal details about IH now, but apparently wasn't a good enough friend or interested enough to raise the issue when he was still alive and try to help him.

Posted by: b | August 11, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Fox News vs. Scientology? Scientology vs. Fox News?

Not the most pleasant pair of options, generally speaking, but in this instance I doubt Fox has as big an axe to grind as the Church of Cruisiness. So I'd be inclined to believe the Fox article this time.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of scientology, did anyone else see the picture in today's Post, of Travolta, his lovely wife, and the pregnant women at the scientology convention?
I swear the guy standing behind, and to the left, of the pregnant women is Brad Pitt. That would be all we need another celebrity involved in the "wackado" religion. (or is that racist?)

Posted by: dw | August 11, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Did you know that there once existed a band named Visually Impaired Placentas?

Posted by: Sasquatch says, "I can't see you." | August 11, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

RIP- Isaac Hayes & Bernie Mac. One of my favorite cult movies has to be "the Player's Club" simply because of Bernie Mac's character (club owner, "Dollar Bill"). His character's take on the origins of stripping is some of the funniest sh**t ever!

Not a "Claymate" (or whatever his fans call themselves), but I do get Aiken's reaction on the birth of his son... "thrilled, overjoyed, blessed" are some of the words that describe how Mr Plamar and I feel about the recent birth of our daughter Danielle.

Posted by: plamar1031 | August 11, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Here's an Olympics picture that might be worth a weekly caption contest:

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 11, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Now, Sasquatch, he never touched the tush!

(even tho he was invited to do so!)

Posted by: Saw the Video | August 11, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I would just like to say THANK YOU for the various pictures. I love them.

I really enjoyed the swimming yesterday, but am not a huge M.Phelps fan. Have heard too much local buzz about him and have seen him out and about locally, being "too full of himself".

Posted by: B'More Cat and Olympic Athelete Lover | August 11, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

My favorite scenes in the Ocean's trilogy always involved Bernie Mac, especially in Ocean's Eleven -- the scene at the car dealership "negotiating" with "Billy Tim Denim": "Yeesss, denim like the jean...man, you've got some nice hands...do you moisturize?" and the scene with Matt Damon and Andy Garcia: "What you want me to do? Want me get on the table and dance? Want me to shine your shoes...Cuz you definitely won't let me deal the cards...Might as well call it White Jack!"

Posted by: clw misses the Mac Man and Isaac Hayes | August 11, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

After watching Michael Phelps last night, Daniel Craig looks positively pudgy. My kitchen list is ruined.

Posted by: musicgeek is only kidding, for those of you who want to jump on the body image issue | August 11, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

dw,

"I swear the guy standing behind, and to the left, of the pregnant women is Brad Pitt. "

Do you have a link to the pic?

Posted by: jsk | August 11, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happens to Donna, she's so stupid she deserves it. Darwin rules!

Posted by: LMAO | August 11, 2008 4:46 PM

Dont be cruel. How would you like it if your husband had an affair with your brother?

Posted by: Nancy | August 11, 2008 4:48 PM

Posted by: from OP | August 11, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I read the first line of the comment at 4:53 as a reaction to the 90210 news.

Posted by: mouse | August 11, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Very sad about Bernie Mac. Fox ruined his show by moving it around on the schedule so much and then wondering why it didn't get better ratings--typical for them. He was a big talent who deserved better.

I swear, if someone did a DNA test on Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson they'd discover they'd been separated at birth.

I'm sorry to say this because I've been a fan of Hugh Laurie since the Jeeves & Wooster and Blackadder days, but I am so over him. He's become a grumpy, cheating, difficult-to-work-with whiner. He complains about the hardships of living in LA (where he is fabulously compensated and lauded for his "labor") and says he doesn't like to be separated from his wife (but doesn't seem to worry about remaining faithful to her). I guess I'm tough on him because I expected better of him.

BTW, thanx for the Olympics pix.

Posted by: alex | August 11, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

How would you like it if your husband had an affair with your brother?

Posted by: Nancy | August 11, 2008 4:48 PM

///////////////////////////

I'd take pictures and put them on the Internet!

Posted by: To Nancy | August 11, 2008 5:08 PM

If my husband and my brother were together - I like the take-pictures-post-on-Internet-idea, but I'm sure I'd be laughing too hard and drop the camera.

My SIL would *NOT* be amused though, and my brother would be lucky if he lived to regret it.

Posted by: Sue | August 11, 2008 5:37 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so I went to IMDB to look up Russell Brand cuz I had never heard of him. Surprised to find that he was in 2 movies that I've seen, one just a few weeks ago...still have no idea who he is? So how did he rate this gig?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Jolie for veep on both tickets?

Posted by: Red Dragon | August 12, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

So her "endorsement" is what candidates are vying for? Yeah, right.

And sorry John McCain, I doubt she's gonna endorse you! But known adulterer that you are and known homewrecking hussy that she is, maybe you can just skip the endorsement part, have an affair and the two of you can break up more relationships by cheating on your partners ...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

i've just ret'd from out of town. wanted to post a very late entry about bernie mac. one of the funniest and most observant people, ever. his show was laugh out loud hilarious. we loved everything about it. his death really saddened me. a loss for all.

Posted by: janet mourns bernie mac | August 12, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The only reason Jolie and Pitt are taking on so many kids and running around acting like they care about the poor is to make a mends for the way the got together; adultery and lies. No one should want either of the respective endorsements. If they do, let Edwards off the hook! Michelle B.

Posted by: Michelle B | August 13, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse