Posted at 7:19 AM ET, 08/26/2008

Morning Mix: New 'Dancing With the Stars' Line-up Announced

By Liz Kelly
Tuesday

Headlines: Susan Lucci, Lance Bass, Kim Kardashian among new "Dancing With the Stars" line-up... Britney Spears won't perform at VMAs, says manager... Jennifer Hudson to sing at Democratic National Convention... Charlie Sheen and wife expecting child... Guy Ritchie says he isn't into Kabbalah and that he and Madge may adopt again... Paris Hilton plans duet with boyfriend Benji Madden... Paula Abdul "concerned" about newly-added fourth "Idol" judge... Jennie Garth says new "90210" is too racy for her kids... Kate Hudson sued over signature hair care product.

Crime Watch: Andy Dick won't face sexual battery charge.

Rumor Mill: Brangelina brood planning move back to Los Angeles?... Pitt photographs Angelina for upcoming W issue... Courteney Cox reportedly involved in minor car accident in Hawaii... Michelle Rodriguez to reprise role on at least one episode of new "Lost" season... "Real Housewife of NYC" LuAnn de Lesseps reportedly puts on show at Hamptons wedding... Kirsten Dunst spotted snogging with Justin Long (third item).

By Liz Kelly  | August 26, 2008; 7:19 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comment Box: What Makes a Celebrity?
Next: Mishmash: Solange's Turn; Catwoman Casting; Caption Results

Comments

Posted by: byoolin's only looking for his hand in the snow. | August 26, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Too many 'cans' there.

Posted by: Cold turkey has got byoolin on the run. | August 26, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Oooooh, if I'm reading it right, nobody asked Paula about added the new judge and she's pis...um, miffed. Anyone want to take a bet on whether she stays with AI through the end of the season?

Posted by: 23112 | August 26, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Being the 90210 fan of old I have to point out its Jennie Garth

Posted by: MGC | August 26, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Thanks MCG, will fix. I don't suppose you're the same McG who directed the "Charlie's Angels" movies...?

Posted by: Liz Kelly | August 26, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Are you kidding, 23112? AI is Paula's cash cow. She won't leave, but I do she her making life hell for the newbie...

Posted by: Osteph | August 26, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Jennie Garth realizes that a lot of kids weren't allowed to watch the original 90210 back in the day... and by "a lot" of kids, I mean me. I think I was in about sixth grade at the time. Of course, the ban was fueled by my older sister who wanted it to be "her" show and therefore told my mom it was bad for me - I was forced to claim Swans Crossing as my show that year... and we all know what a miserable failure that turned out to be and of course I was unable to enforce a similar ban. I think that is why I still hold a special hatred in my heart for 90210 - which doesn't mean I won't watch the new one.

Posted by: kiddo | August 26, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Headlines I would like to see: Paris, Paula and Britney announce their new reality show, Tag Teaming with the real NYC housewifes. Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan are the panel of judges.

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 26, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Osteph | August 26, 2008 8:58 AM

"I do she her making life..."

Posted by: grammar police | August 26, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Memo to Kim Kardashian: if you're going to dance on a glass tabletop, make sure it's tempered glass. The photog underneath will thank you.

Posted by: BxNY | August 26, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Andy Dick won't face sexual battery charge.

WTF? His name alone is prima facie evidence of his guilt!

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 26, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Groovis will be on the Lido deck | August 26, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BxNY | August 26, 2008 9:06 AM

*****

So, the photographer will have to bring his own shard of glass to gouge out his eyes afterward?

Posted by: byoolin's not sure he'd thank her for that. | August 26, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Michelle Rodriguez, yay! May have to start watching again....

Osteph keep the grammar mistakes. I think "do she her making life hell for the newbie" makes perfect sense. We'd have to throw out most of the glossary if we were all perfect spellers and gramarians.

Posted by: Red Dragon | August 26, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

According to the Madonna article, her spiritual age is only 36, which is still 10 years older than her face's age.

Hey Groovis, where ya been?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

And here they go again. Please, Brangelina - pick a country - any country - and stay there to raise your children.

It's not like military/diplomatic families who move around after 1 to 3 years - these people can't sit still for 1 to 3 months! Soon, there won't be anywhere left in the world for them to wander to and collect more family members.

Posted by: Amelia | August 26, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Ya know, I don't think Osteph was making a grammatical mistake but rather channeling the mental processes of Ms. Paula Abdul.

And really, Paula's going to be so high off her gourd anyways that she won't even notice the new judge.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey Dorkus - I was camping in New Hampshire and I'm suffering from a lack o' celebrity news....

I'm happy to see the name "Cloris Leachman," however -

Frau Blucher.....

Posted by: Groovis | August 26, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Luanne de Lesseps bio says that she teaches etiquette on morning news shows in NYC....I think you're supposed to say "Pardon me" before crotch grabbing....

Posted by: Groovis | August 26, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

OK, let's get the rest of it out now that zzz is here.

1. Interesting Moral Compass.

2. Speled incorrectly

3. Nancy is crying.

4. Crosspost from other blogs.

Everyone get their jollies out yet? OK, let's get back to the topic!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Angelina bought Brad a camera for his birthday? A camera? Not -- I dunno -- an island or jet or city or something?

Now that Brad's shooting magazine covers, does this mean some photographer somewhere is reduced to scraping for work because he/she had hoped to pay the rent with the W cover?

It's bad enough that Angelina and others take work away from talented voice-over/cartoon-voice actors. Rich celebrities now have to be photographers too?

Posted by: td knows too many unemployed actors | August 26, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I think you're supposed to say "Pardon me" before crotch grabbing....

Ahh, Groovis that would be "excuse me" if you do something, "pardon me" if some other clod does something to you.

Just remember this line, "Excuse me while I whip this out!"

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 26, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Whiiiiiiiiii!

Posted by: the horse | August 26, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

i want to second using the 1-2-3 magic approach. i would also recommend a book called kid cooperation.
we did use timeouts when my son was younger, mostly to help him get himself under control when he'd totally lost it.
other options:
logical consequences - child doesn't want to wear a coat? oh well, they get cold.
choose your battles. there are some things that aren't worth fighting over. clothing that doesn't match? oh, well. i do draw the line at socks with sandals....
some children react to a change in diet & others don't. some children have food allergies & others don't.
redirection - i also allowed my son a cabinet in the kitchen that he could play with. that worked.
the way we avoided tantrums in the grocery store - we reviewed with my son the rules of behavior when we were just outside the door of the grocery store. (no running, no tantrums, no begging, no screaming). if my son started any of the behavior that was against the rules i would remind him of the rules. if he continued my husband took him outside.
the way we avoided tantrums leaving the playground. my son & i decided how many trips down the slide or how many pushes on the swing he got before leaving the playground. about 5 minutes before we had to leave i would tell him 10 more slides or if he were on the swing 20 more pushes. when you've reached the limit - leave. yes, the first couple of times my son threw a tantrum but after that he was fine. he learned how to count to 10 & 20.
the other thing is that some children are natural boundary pushers & limit testers. with those kids; all bets are off.

Posted by: quark | August 26, 2008 9:33 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I think you're supposed to say "Pardon me" before crotch grabbing....

Just remember this line, "Excuse me while I whip this out!"

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 26, 2008 9:53 AM

do you still have to say excuse me if you're going after michael phelps?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

OK, let's get the rest of it out now that zzz is here.

1. Interesting Moral Compass.

2. Speled incorrectly

3. Nancy is crying.

4. Crosspost from other blogs.

Everyone get their jollies out yet? OK, let's get back to the topic!

Posted by: Regular Lurker | August 26, 2008 9:43 AM

Why are you picking on me? I have done nothing to deserve such unprovoked animosity.

Posted by: Nancy | August 26, 2008 9:47 AM

Posted by: poor Nancy | August 26, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"this does not make any sense. please remember to review your text for grammar mistakes before hitting 'submit.'" --grammar police
---------

OH. SHUT. UP. Take your editorial skills to the New York Times and spare us your genius further. Even great editors and writers make mistakes.

And if you're going to continue to correct everyone, capitalize your sentences.

Posted by: td is annoyed by smug people who think they are perfect | August 26, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: grammar police | August 26, 2008 9:05 AM

Please remember to review your text for condescension, nit-pickiness, and grammar policing before hitting "submit."

Posted by: h3 | August 26, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

9:55 a.m. --
Thanks! Wonder if any of those tips will work on my boss...

Posted by: b | August 26, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

do you still have to say excuse me if you're going after michael phelps?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:57 AM

*********************************

No but you do have to thank Jason Lezak.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Whiiiiiiiiii!

Posted by: the horse | August 26, 2008 9:54 AM

I realize that this may be as bad as morons cross-posting from other blogs, but it made me laugh out loud. Apparently, I am easily amused.

Posted by: Betty | August 26, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

8:34- To call Paris "Yoko," Good Charlotte would have to be a GOOD band. They suck so I say let her do it... can't make them any worse then they already are. Bunch of sell outs. Acted all punk and "non-conformist" then one brother dates Paris while the other has a kid with Nicole. LAME. Go listen to some Coheed and Cambria.

Posted by: Brenna | August 26, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"I do she her making life..."

Posted by: grammar police | August 26, 2008 9:05 AM

What if he/she just has a lisp?

It is unkind to criticize people for speech impediments.

Posted by: Shully | August 26, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Just remember this line, "Excuse me while I whip this out!"

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 26, 2008 9:53 AM

*****

Thanks, EH. Now I've got the tune "Ian Underwood Whips It Out Live On Stage In Copenhagen" from Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention's album "Uncle Meat (Music from the movie of the same name which we haven't got enough money to finish yet)" playing in my head.

Posted by: byoolin will play side 4 next. | August 26, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

To quote the great Homer Simpson 'Yoko Ono, she ruined the Plastic Ono Band!'

Posted by: lurker not poster | August 26, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

My bologna has a first name
Is nom nom nom nom nom

Posted by: 23112 | August 26, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I always though it was Jim Morrison who whipped it out on stage. But, I was in a Blazing Saddles State of Mind.

Posted by: Elias Howe | August 26, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Lost buzz is like crack to me...must have more...must have more!

And man, that Justin Long sure does get around.

I'm interested to see how this season of DWTS turns out. There doesn't seem to be a solid ringer in this group (see: Kristi Yamaguchi).

Posted by: Em | August 26, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

The only hair care line Kate Hudson should develop is a pair of scissors and cut her son’s hair.

Posted by: NYU | August 26, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Um, hasn't Charlie Sheen already gifted the earth with enough of his offspring? Who is this idiot he married who thinks it's a good idea to let him spawn again?

Posted by: jaybbub | August 26, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

And also, what's up with the gremlins who insert extra words into our posts???

Posted by: jaybbub | August 26, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

do you still have to say excuse me if you're going after michael phelps?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:57 AM

*********************************

No but you do have to thank Jason Lezak.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 10:00 AM

I dont think you got what the poster was trying to say. she was trying to grab phelps', uh, stuff.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I bet it takes Susan Lucci 20 years before she wins DWTS.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Sadly Brenna, I agree with you. They've totally lost it. No wonder they don't headline the big houses anymore. They used to be all ours to.

Of course Britney isn't performing at the VMA's. Would anyone ever call anything she's done as performing, outside of her various hook up spots I mean?

Posted by: EricS | August 26, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

do you still have to say excuse me if you're going after michael phelps?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:57 AM

*********************************

No but you do have to thank Jason Lezak.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 10:00 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:19 AM
==========================================

yeah? so?

Posted by: Curmudgeon doesn't see the problem with thanking Jason Lezak | August 26, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I dunno much about "eco-friendly" hair care products, but I question whether "'Vanuatu Complex,' basically samples of environmental life and volcanic ash found on the Vanuatu Islands" is something I want to rinse down my drain.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 26, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Comment from Lisa De's article on AI adding 4th judge:

see shark swim.
see producers jump.
the end.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

""Paris Hilton plans duet with boyfriend Benji Madden." Good news! Now we can can call her 'Yoko.' "

um. no. Yoko actually has talent. Not singing talent, but artistic talent. ;) Paris, not so much.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Could we perhaps start referring to Paris as Courtney Love?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

You know Brad will take artsy fartsy pix of his wife. We'd rather see pix that cut off half her face, stop awkwardly at the knees, capture Angelina in mid food chew, with the kids making finger antennae behind her head, or where it looks like Angelina is holding up the leaning tower of Pisa.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 26, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, no, because Hole put out some seriously good music. Courtney is a train wreck, but she was talented. Paris is a rich, plastic person who buys her fame.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Could we perhaps start referring to Paris as Courtney Love?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 10:51 AM

===
No, Dorkus. Good Charlotte is not as good as Nirvana, either.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 26, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"do you still have to say excuse me if you're going after michael phelps?"

No, but you have to tell him whether the event is the breaststroke, the freestyle or the medley.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks all, for sticking up for my bad spelling...

Posted by: Osteph is scared of the grammar police | August 26, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'm saying this...

I agree with Paula Abdul. Unless American Idol is actually going to start requiring its idols to write songs, why do they need a songwriter as a judge on the show?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 26, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BxNY | August 26, 2008 9:06 AM

*****

*****

I suppose, but after the sale of the pix/vid (remember, there's a market for everything on the internet) said photog could probably afford enough booze to erase the memory without having to end his career.

Posted by: BxNY | August 26, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Paula has nothing to worry about. Americans loves their lushes.

More celebrity babies. More celebrity car crashes. And Brangelina couldn't stay out of the rumor mill for more than 10 minutes. Wait, no Jennifer Aniston story! Now everything's all lopsided!

Posted by: hodie | August 26, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

MoCo -

You're correct.

Those kinds of photos would be mag! Just like real people.

Posted by: Curmudgeon misses her browmie | August 26, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

No, Dorkus. Good Charlotte is not as good as Nirvana, either.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 26, 2008 10:55 AM

Hmm. Good points had by all. So with the talentless Paris about to insert herself into the nearly talentless Good Charlotte, perhaps a better name for Paris is fate?

One can only hope that once all the bad aspects come together, both parties will simply self destruct.

Posted by: Sully | August 26, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Do you remember that old black-and-white music video with the guy singing in front of those three women in vivid makeup, lookin bored with blank faces, wearing black scarves, playing air guitars?

That's how I picture Paris' role in this new venture.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 26, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

That's how I picture Paris' role in this new venture.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 26, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

where's "luvjen" from yesterday? doesn't she want to post an anti-anjelina/brad message? or is she too busy with her "applikay" sweater.

Posted by: ???? | August 26, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

That's how I picture Paris' role in this new venture.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 26, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"this does not make any sense. please remember to review your text for grammar mistakes before hitting "submit."
--Grammar Police

--------------------------------------------

How nice of the Grammar Police to take a break from their never-ending donut dining to comment on our grammar. Did you remember to wipe the glaze off your hands before using the keyboard? And is this a picture of your K-9 unit?

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

--Grammar Police

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

That's how I picture Paris' role in this new venture.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 26, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

--Grammar Police

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

--Grammar Police

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

That's how I picture Paris' role in this new venture.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 26, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

That's how I picture Paris' role in this new venture. She already has the vapid look nailed . . .

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 26, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon, it was Robert Palmer(God rest his soul), "Addicted to Love". Yes, I could see Paris in that role.

Posted by: hodie | August 26, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

eeeek

Sasquatch and I got caught in a space-time continuum!

That was quite a whirl.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 26, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

shut up already curmudgeon and sasquatch? we heard you the first time!

Posted by: geez | August 26, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Is it Groundhog Day already?

Posted by: Hmmm... | August 26, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The article about Kirsten Dunst and Justin Long "making out" while waiting in line for margaritas is factually incorrect. They were not making out. They were searching each other's person for a leftover roach to smoke while they were in line.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Okay, so we know that either Sasquatch or Curmudgeon is Philip Glass. Who, by the way, I have long suspected of being "luvlinsey".

Posted by: ftl, dts | August 26, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

geez, go have a talk with my network provider about misloading web pages. If you do, then you can become a Cox Sucker. Or maybe go hand out in the donut shop with the cops.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

shut up already curmudgeon and sasquatch? we heard you the first time!

Posted by: geez | August 26, 2008 11:22 AM

The problem is probably in the WaPo comment software.

Posted by: yo fatty, carm down! | August 26, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Of course AI didn't tell Paula about the new judge. They wanted someone all ready to go when Paula flames out on her "med." It's like an altnernate juror in major trials so you don't have to start all over again.

Is anyone surprise Charlie Sheen had sex? Didn't think so. It does not amaze me he is having another child, the man is fertile. What amazes me is that women are willing to ahve children with him. Because he has shown to be so faithful to mother of his children. Denise Richards was the worst. She got pregnant so he would marry her. He did. He cheated on her. They separated. She got pregnant again to get him back. He came back. He cheated on her. They are still arguing over custody. Learn from other people's mistakes, it saves time.

Sadly, Charlie has defnitely entered "put that down its been everywhere" land. I used to really like him. Now, I can't watch his tv show or any of his movies. I'm too skeeved out.

Posted by: ep | August 26, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | August 26, 2008 11:30 AM

thanks for sharing. we REALLY wanted to know.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, Sas and Mudge, did you say something? I wasn't paying attention.

I'm worried about how the Benji-Paris duet will affect their relative celebrity orbits. Does one drag the other up or down? And will it affect the space-time continuum and result in an endless loop of Celebritology postings? I'm scared.

Posted by: epony | August 26, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

If anyone deserves to be in Liz/Dante's outer rings of Celebrity Hell, it is Andy Dick. Wasn't his 15 minutes up yrs ago????

Usually sexual misconduct grosses the public out and we hate them even more (think PeeWee Herman). Others miraculously get away with it and get to keep their careers, like Hugh Grant, and that guy from the show about the President. Why can't I remember his name.

Posted by: hodie | August 26, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

To Stepdaughter:

You said:
"maybe if you start thinking of them as your son and not your stepson, they will start thinking of you as their mom and actually listen to you."

So you are saying that I should somehow take on the role of Mom when they already have a Mom that they live with most of the time? It is absolutely clear to the kids that I am not their mother and I make no attempt to even pretend to be. When they accidentally call me Mom, I correct them and tell them I am their Second Mom. Lots of time, they correct themselves. I am not their mother and would never presume to take that role from their mother.

When they are with us... I often take on the mother role. I kiss their boo-boos and give them hugs, dry them off after a shower, make them dinner and read them books at night. I take turns getting up in the middle of the night when they are sick and comfort them when they are scared at the dentist. And at times, I have to enforce the rules. But I am not their mother.

I wish I could say that his inability to listen to me is because I am his step-mother but unfortunately his temper tantrums are equal opportunity. Often as not, the temper tantrums have nothing to do with me but something their father said... Like we are eating indoors. We have to leave the pool now... we aren't going to the pool or whatever sets him off.

I would like the child to be happy. I would like our family to be happy. Our family is not happy when we are continually confronted by his crying over every little thing. His crying even impacts what we do as a family. I suggest to my honey that we go swimming (or whatever). His response? No thanks. I don't want to deal with my son's temper tantrum when we tell him it is time to leave (even with 5 minute warning etc etc). He (and the whole family) miss out on doing all kinds of things because my husband doesn't want to deal with his tantrums. I find that very sad but I totally understand his attitude and a big reason why his tantrums frustrate me. I would really love to find a way to stop them so that our decisions are based on what we want to do and not what the consequences are - his inevitable tantrum.

I love those kids but I don't call them my children when I am talking to other folks because that would give them the wrong impression - that my husband and I have children together whom we live with. We do not. They only live with us part-time which of course impacts how we can and do interact with them.

Perhaps you should find out some facts about our situation before you sit in judgment about how I interact with them.

Posted by: Billie | August 26, 2008 11:17 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

hodie, I think you mean Rob Lowe.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Philip Glass is "luvlinsey"?

If that's true, EVERYTHING in "Koyanisqaatsi" makes sense.

Posted by: byoolin marvels at the elegance of it all. | August 26, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Er, "Koyaanisqatsi."

Posted by: byoolin | August 26, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

to all the anon posters on this blog. can you guys help me shut up some of the celeb blog posters who think they're so self important? i'm talking about curmudgeon and sasquatch, each of whom post 40 posts a day on the blog, while acting as a "hall monitor."

thanks in advance.

Posted by: need help | August 26, 2008 11:31 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

reading the time travel references on the Lost article blog and seeing it happen on this one has made my head hurt

Posted by: hodie asks if anyone has some Advil | August 26, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Sasquatch, we're fameous.

We were thrown into the roiling black hole of internet uploading and blog software and came out the otherside dazed but with our loud-mouth reputations intact.

What a feet.

Posted by: Curmudgeon checks for bruises | August 26, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm having one of those strange universal confluenc of events moments sitting here reading about orbital maneuvers, listening to Phillip Glass and getting SPAM mail about Paris Hilton.

I think Celebritology has now become the nexus of the universe.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"Ted McGinley, Susan Lucci and Cloris Leachman??? Sounds like the Love Boat soon will be making another run....."

And Murder, She Wrote......

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Mudge observes:
"

Sasquatch, we're fameous.

What a feet.

Posted by: Curmudgeon checks for bruises | August 26, 2008 11:54 AM

-------------------------------------------

I've been dealing with all sorts of application, database and permission crap-outs for the past several days. It's getting real old.

Since my nose is running and my feet smell, I'm obviously built upside down.

Posted by: Sleep-deprived Sasquacth | August 26, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Hollywood Squares! This dancing stuff is too much work to keep your name current.

Posted by: hodie | August 26, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

there's a comment at 11:34 on the OP blog directed to Sasquatch. Please follow the instructions.

Posted by: for sasquatch | August 26, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: for sasquatch | August 26, 2008 12:14 PM

This sounds ominous. It's not a ransom note, is it?

Sasquatch? Are you still with us?

Posted by: Sully | August 26, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

What is the OP blog that I see referenced so often?

Posted by: Just wondering... | August 26, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, Sas and Mudge, did you say something? I wasn't paying attention.

Posted by: epony | August 26, 2008 11:40 AM

====
epony wins the prize for analogious Paris/Benji references. Clearly, Paris/Benji is "A Star is Born" for the new milennium.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 26, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: for sasquatch | August 26, 2008 12:14 PM

Don't go, Sas. It's a trap!

Posted by: jake e. poo doesn't trust those OP loonies | August 26, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

What is the OP blog that I see referenced so often?

Posted by: Just wondering... | August 26, 2008 12:29 PM

The On Parenting blog. They are also they source of the cut and paste posts that don't belong. We call them the MM -- Mean Mommies.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

What is the OP blog that I see referenced so often? - Posted by: Just wondering...

****

You know that channel in your cable tv package that you went to once and were so appalled you never went back? OP is like that.

Posted by: byoolin suspects the OPers say the same thing about Celebritology. | August 26, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

***************************************

You mean it's Fox News?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

You mean Faux News?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

ker-sploooott!!

(rimshot)

nicely played, Dorkus and Anonymous

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 26, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I FIND IT very strange that angie/pitt dont have PETS. arent we all supposed to PRACTICE on a DOGGY or KITTy or BirDIe before having 15 people kids?Why is ANigie on "W" magzine when the FABULOUS JEN is on GOOD HOUSEKEEPING?:???! Tells ya sojmething right there....GOOD HOUSEKEPPING MEANS PETS!! JEN Has at leat one DOG..and it aint from VIETNAM but at least its AMERICN!
LUV JEN!! MY HEART walks the beach with you and your DOGGIE in MALIBOO!!!!!!!!!
HUGGGGSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: luvjen | August 26, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I FIND IT very strange that angie/pitt dont have PETS.

*************

They probably didn't want to be bothered with fencing the yard.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"... arent we all supposed to PRACTICE on a DOGGY or KITTy or BirDIe before having 15 people kids?" - Posted by: luvjen

****

You try breastfeeding a kitten or diapering a budgie or teaching a dog to ride a bicycle.

Posted by: byoolin did have a cat that flew through the air and landed in a bucket. | August 26, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, you can probably get a dog to eat the Cheetos but you sure as hell can't walk through a horde of papparazzi holding a kitty and make it out in once piece.

Posted by: jes | August 26, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

that should be one piece dammit.

Posted by: jes | August 26, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Then I really messed up because I practiced mommiehood on my kids before I got my dog. But it worked, 'cause my dog's not spoiled at all!

Posted by: hodie never feeds Max under the table | August 26, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

And don't worry, hodie, the kids usually grow out of that whole biting the mailman thing...

Posted by: byoolin | August 26, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

You try... teaching a dog to ride a bicycle.

Well, byoolin, Bush managed to turn Blair into his poodle, so this one's possible.

Posted by: Nosy Parker needs lunch | August 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Can you train small babies to use the litter box?

Also, when the babies start screaming like my cat did very late last night, can I keep using the spray bottle on them until they stop screaming?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 1:25 PM

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Suddenly the memories are coming back

Posted by: Mommy, don't! | August 26, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so the dog-bicycle thing was a bad choice, apparently (http://tinyurl.com/6o2mcc).

But I stand by the other two.

Posted by: byoolin is outwitted by the dogs YET AGAIN. | August 26, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I bet it takes Susan Lucci 20 years before she wins DWTS.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 10:32 AM

*********

Nice one, Dorkus.

I guess Courteney Cox won't land that role on Lost after all. (Someone really needs to remind these stars about the Hawaii Road Curse.) But I'm glad Michelle R. is going to be back. Girl is certifiably nuts. And that's a good thing.

Re grammar polizei, sometimes people hit the submit button unexpectedly when the boss stops by. . .

Posted by: alex | August 26, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: for sasquatch | August 26, 2008 12:14 PM

Don't go, Sas. It's a trap!

no, its really what sas needs to do. it'll help keep his mouth occupied.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, Charlie has defnitely entered "put that down its been everywhere" land.

Posted by: ep | August 26, 2008 11:30 AM

****

I think this qualifies him as the perfect match for Kirsten Dunst. How come those two aren't together instead?

Oh, if only we could match up the stars. (I'm still hoping for Jen to hook up with Keanu Reeves. Or at least star in a movie together. Zzzzzz.)

Posted by: alex thinks we should assign celebs to their "soul mates" | August 26, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

such vicious attacks today! i don't know what kind of people you are that you post such horrible things about each other.

Posted by: Nancy | August 26, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nancy | August 26, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Shut it, Nancy.

Posted by: Sully | August 26, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Sas, what diabolical plan have the MMs cooked up for you?

Did we ever definitively define for the glossary a term for male skank? It occurs to me our initial list failed to include Charlie.

My cats are plotting their revenge. I've had to give them both pills twice a day for a week. It's been an adventure.

Posted by: hermespal | August 26, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

hermespal, it might not be revenge so much as finding 14 pills hidden in the back of the closet a month from now. It might be part of that "Just Say No" training they get in school.

Posted by: epony | August 26, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Please delete the comment by Sully at 2:12.

Posted by: Nancy | August 26, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

hermespal, try sneaking up on the cats while they're sound asleep, so you can pill them before they fully waken.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 26, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Very sneaky, Nosy. I like your style.

Posted by: Sully | August 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

LOL, nice suggestion. Actually we've come to something of an understanding and it's going pretty well. One of them has to have a pill that's been cut into quarters (and you can imagine how successful one is trying to get something with jagged edges swallowed)--my vet made the greatest suggestion: you buy really small gelatin capsules from a health food store and stick the pill in it, dip it in a little vegetable oil et voila--down it goes! They're both being pretty good sports, all things considered.

Posted by: hermespal | August 26, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Time outs NEVER worked for my son. My mother insided upon using them and I swear my son started becoming anti-social. Counting worked some time at least until he was 3 or 4.

But what worked all of the time for me was to let my son know that if he did A that B would happen. I then made sure that if he experienced the B results every time he did A. This was for good and bad things.

By the time he was a teenager, he had many years of knowing that A=B and that if he liked and/or wanted be he would do A.

I feel people use sugar as a scape goat. Many times my son just acted up because he was bored. Children should be out running and playing in unstructured environments as well as using their brains to create playscapes. One of my son's favourite playscape was to play hockey in the olympics. He would imagine our backyard as the olympic arena and he would run around with his hockey stick and a ball, shooting into a bucket to score the gold medal winning goal.

Kids also need far more sleep than what many parents give them these days. Kids act up when they are tired, heck so do adults. Kids need at least 9 or 10 hours of sleep each day. The younger kids need even more.

Bottom line each child is different and like cars your mileage may vary. It is best to keep stiff spine, an open mind and be very very consistent.

Posted by: sierra | August 26, 2008 2:33 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

am i at the wrong blog? i thought this was the CELEB blog, not the "how to give cats medicine" blog. stay on point please. thx

Posted by: anon for this | August 26, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

My cats are plotting their revenge
****
and they will be successful, hermespal. they always are. cunning. smart. intelligent. you haven't a chance.

Posted by: janet sheds a tear for hermespal's imminent demise at the paws of her felines | August 26, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

byoolin is outwitted by the dogs YET AGAIN
****
don't feel bad. that's the constant state of affairs over here, led by frankie the dingleberry huntress. i'm barely a step ahead.

Posted by: janet sympathesizes w/byoolin | August 26, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh, Janet, I'll never sleep at night.

Just caught this:

Los Angeles (E! Online) - Yesterday, the Internet was buzzing that Paula Abdul didn't approve of American Idol's decision to hire a fourth judge, songwriter Kara DioGuardi.

But judging from the A.I. queen's conversation with Ryan Seacrest on his KIIS-FM show today, it seems as though Paula couldn't be more thrilled to have her pal Kara—whose career she claims to have launched—join her, Simon and Randy at the judges' table.

Paula tells Ryan she met Kara outside a restaurant in New York when Kara was a Billboard magazine employee with songwriting dreams. After meeting her that day, Paula convinced Idol's newbie judge to drop everything and move to L.A. with her.

Says Paula: "[Kara] was my roommate! And I took her all around the world with me and introduced her to wonderful people...She stayed in Sweden and wrote with these people and got started living her dream."

Not only does Paula sound enthusiastic about Kara in general, but when Ryan asked her where Kara will sit at the judges' table, Paula said, "I dunno. Hopefully next to me." But in case that proves distracting, Paula continues, "we'll probably be separated by Simon or something."

When in doubt, always blame the British guy.

Can we say "damage control"?

Posted by: hermespal | August 26, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

liz please delete the comments at 2:49 and 2:51.

Posted by: liz please delete | August 26, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Ahem, cat, dog, cat, dog, cat, dog, cat, dog, cat, dog, PONY!!!!!

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

liz please delete the comments at 2:49 and 2:51.

Posted by: liz please delete | August 26, 2008 2:53 PM

janet, who did you p*ss off?

Speaking as someone who's outnumbered 2 to 1, dogs are just as cunning.

Posted by: jake e. poo | August 26, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss something whilst on vacation? Are we being taken over by a huge uterus droid the size of an elephant who hates cats?
It's 3:00!! In two hours I can have a glassowine and carm down.

Posted by: possum | August 26, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, you are on a roll today! Your comment about thanking Jason Lezak was, in the words of luvlinsey, alsum.

I want some of whatever you're having!

Posted by: WA | August 26, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Not to start all over again the battle of the sexes, but I do agree that there should be a male equivalent to "skank." However, currently, it's viewed as "sowing wild oats" or a rite of passage.

Posted by: hodie | August 26, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Liz, please delete all comments requesting that posts be deleted.

Posted by: epony | August 26, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

liz please delete the comments at 2:58

Posted by: liz please delete | August 26, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Since they're technically off topic, please delete 1:10, 1:15, 1:19, 1:25, 1:29, 1:30, 1:45....oh hell, why not just ditch the whole blog.

Killjoys.

Posted by: anon for this | August 26, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

liz please delete the comments at 3:03

Posted by: liz please delete | August 26, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

previous 3:02 comment in answer to hermespal 2:14 comment. Got submittus interuptus.

Posted by: hodie | August 26, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

So, how about that teeny dog Paris Hilton used to drag around with her?

Posted by: Curmudgeon talks about dogs AND celebs | August 26, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I think we did define male skank. John Mayer lost out. Charlie Sheen probably should be added. Although he at least marries a couple of them. And is with them in time periods that can be measured with a calendar not a stopwatch.

Posted by: ep | August 26, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Justin Long may soon be entering male skank territory.

Is he Apple's version of Shareware?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, I think there's a point where some of these guys left sowing oats and rites of passage in the dust--those terms are fine for guys in their early 20s, but when they're tapping everything in sight in their 30s (see Law, Jude and Armstrong, Lance) it gets skeevy. Hence the need for a suitable male skank terminology.

Posted by: hermespal | August 26, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

By the way, where is Sasquatch?

Oh and something celebrity related so that I don't get deleted....

I hated Jennifer Hudson in the Sex and the City movie. She was awful.

Posted by: jake e. poo | August 26, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

A male skank used to be referred to as a "tomcat." But that expression has been cruelly corrupted with TomKat, alas.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 26, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Is he Apple's version of Shareware?

Very nice, Dorkus.

Posted by: hermespal | August 26, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"What happened to good spanking? All these people giving "time outs" to their kids are gonna be completely taken over by their kids when they become teenagers."

This is bull!

Sue, spanking isn't discipline, it's punishment. It's a way for parents to gain control of their kid through pain and suffering, = violence.

Those kids that have learned that it is acceptable to control people through violence, well, the prisons are full of them.

Has anybody thought that a strategy for ending a tantrum from a child can sometimes be accomplished by comforting them? Kids get irrational fears and need attention and giving them a hug or just holding them in your lap for a few minutes while they cry is exactly what they need. Though kids can be brutally honest at times, some lack the verbal ability to communicate how they feel. Hence, the emotional outburst as what adults see as a tantrum.

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | August 26, 2008 3:09 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES where the Brangelina brood plans to roost for the next 5 minutes?

And in order to capture Angelina in mid food chew, wouldn't she actually have to eat?

Posted by: Californian | August 26, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps we need to replace "Celeine Dion" in your glossary with "Anonymous" or "OP".

Lance Armstrong would be great for a male skank. Ethan Hawke comes to mind to.

Posted by: EricS | August 26, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Paula Abdul says, ...She stayed in Sweden and wrote with these people and got started living her dream."

Really Paula? I think Sweden is where Kara decided to jump off your crazy train.

Posted by: jes | August 26, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

to Holy Crap!: "How were you people raised? Did you have time outs? How did your parents handle your misbehaviors? Did it work? Why not try tried and true methods?"

Time outs? Not per se, although I was certainly sent to my room on occasion. I was also spanked when needed. Between the First Sergeant and the English Teacher, they had no trouble disciplining us.

Their methods produced three relatively successful, productive adults - we all have graduate degrees; nobody has any criminal records/drug addictions; etc.

As far as why we didn't use their "tried and true methods" - I have the engineer mentality. I tried to pick what I thought worked from my parents' methods and get rid of the stuff I hated. DW was raised in a somewhat different manner, so we tried to blend her experiences/opinions with mine.

Did it work? Ask me in 20 years and I might be able to give you a definitive answer.

'Course, then I'll probably be complaining about my kids not raising my grandkids right (and yelling at them to GET OFF MY LAWN! :-).

Posted by: ArmyBrat | August 26, 2008 3:16 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Are you perhaps a politician or a used-car salesman, Anonymous who thinks this board is a high-school essay contest? As you sure use a lot of words to say absolutely nothing. I'm getting tired of scrolling down for soooooooooo long each day to skip your nonsensical pontificating.

Posted by: Brevity is the soul of wit | August 26, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

For those who have been wondering, here are the Glossary entries:

Male skank – (1) a horn dog; (2) the boy version of a skank (see “skank” below)

Male Skanq – a French horn dog (see “skanque” below)

Posted by: Curmudgeon taps the archives | August 26, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

To mouse and other connoisseurs of English and other languages:
The NYT is reporting the death of a veritable celebrity in the world of linguistics, Laurence Urdang. I was a charter subscriber to his newsletter "Verbatim," which quarterly delighted readers with a range of articles from the sublime to the hilarious, plus an Anglo-American crossword puzzle full of puns. The Times closes Mr. Urdang's obituary with this quote from the introduction he wrote to one of his books:

“This is not a succedaneum for satisfying the nympholepsy of nullifidians. Rather it is hoped that the haecceity of this enchiridion of arcane and recondite sesquipedalian items will appeal to the oniomania of an eximious Gemeinschaft whose legerity and sophrosyne, whose Sprachgefühl and orexis will find more than fugacious fulfillment among its felicific pages.”

Posted by: Nosy Parker dusts off her Funk & Wagnalls | August 26, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Liz, please delete the post at 3:30

Posted by: liz please delete | August 26, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

One of my literaature professors would have called out Mr Urdang's introduction for excessive wordiness and cliches

Posted by: Mudge gets tired of spelling the whole thing | August 26, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 12:37 PM

if you have not yet figured out that the person cutting and pasting back and forth is just funking with both blogs, you need to get out more.

Posted by: anonforthis | August 26, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Liz, please delete the post at 3:34

Posted by: liz please delete | August 26, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks 'Mudge. So there was no consensus on a new term encapsulating "male skank"? pity.

Fresh from his generous act of car replacement, George Clooney is hosting a dinner at the Venice Film Festival for the Darfur charity he and Brad Pitt and the other Ocean's guys started. Pitt will join him and attend his "Burn After Reading" premier. Yay for the good-guy celebs.

Posted by: hermespal | August 26, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Poor Liz. She must be upset that in the last few weeks her blog and chats have been overrun by bickering and the completely obnoxious.

I'm sorry, Liz!

I understand disagreeing with topics that posters bring up or not appreciating the inside jokes or conversations that tend to arise in these parts, but a little respect for the person who works to provide us with some entertainment would be nice.

Might I suggest, once again, that when you tire of a particular topic you start a new one instead of complaining about the existing? Thanks.

Posted by: Sully | August 26, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, Laurence Urdang had a sense of humor.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 26, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

ooooooooo

wait a minute.

There WAS a consensus, as follows:

Stank – a skank of the XY chromosome variety

Posted by: Curmudgeon slaps her forhead with the palm of her hand (again) | August 26, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Haha, I like stank.

Posted by: Sully | August 26, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

To the regulars, my deepest and most sincere apologies for mentioning my cats, as I seem to have given rise to a fanatical desire by someone to see all posts deleted that don't fit their view of what blog commenting is supposed to be...erm, which would include about 80% of today's posts.

And now *drumroll* I expect there will be a request for THIS post to be deleted.

Seriously, has Liz EVER deleted a post that was merely off topic?

Posted by: hermespal | August 26, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

i think jeff stryker is calling for you guys. he has something extra special for you ladies.

Posted by: to sully and hermespal | August 26, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Nosey P,

Mr Urdang must have had wonderous senses of humor and of the absurd. My favorite kind of fellow.

I personally love language like that. It's why I keep my Oxford American close to hand.

Posted by: Mudge | August 26, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh! I hope it's candy...

Posted by: Sully | August 26, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd take a kitten, too.

Posted by: Sully | August 26, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

male equivalent to "skank
***
skunk

Posted by: janet holds her nose and types | August 26, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

i think jeff stryker is calling for you guys.

Posted by: sic 'em, Frankie | August 26, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

janet, who did you p*ss off
***
jake, someone who'd had enough of dogs/cats/pills/lizards

Posted by: janet thinks she has the answer | August 26, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd take a kitten, too.

Posted by: Sully | August 26, 2008 3:59 PM

Well, if you're going to ask for a kitten you might as well ask for a p*ny.

I am now prepared for someone to request this post be deleted as well.

Posted by: jes | August 26, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, has Liz EVER deleted a post that was merely off topic?

Posted by: hermespal | August 26, 2008 3:52 PM

Posted by: Liz, pls delete this! | August 26, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

What ever happened to just scrolling past the things you don't want to read? Works for me.

And on topic -- ummm...I don't have anything. Oh wait, still liking Charlie Sheen.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | August 26, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Liz, pls delete this asking that this be deleted.

Posted by: Liz, pls delete this! | August 26, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

First of all, I think Liz is most likely sipping a mojito by now (and probably has been since 2:30 today, I know I would if I could).

Also, since Liz likes to discuss Andy and Page, I don't think she will mind a little pet talk.

I have no celebrity things to discuss, please ask Liz to delete my post.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 26, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Concur. Saving money is one thing, but adding a ridiculous amount of inconvenience to a trip is something else. Over two days of travel into the city from your "find", you could spend the same amount of money and just drive to New York and park in the city and sleep in your car (you'd avoid that commute at least). Not the savviest way to travel, Mr. Vogel.

Posted by: What?? | August 26, 2008 10:01 AM

This is so stupid. Why would someone travel to NY to stay in Connecticut AND stay in a place going through renovations? That means inconvenience and headache, not vacation. And have you looked at the hotel scene in DC lately? Prices are skyhigh here too. I would say the best way to get good deals is to look for them, and travel in the off-peak times.

Posted by: DB | August 26, 2008 10:25 AM

Something I've done for friends with kids who have come to visit me in New York: give them my Bronx apartment and have them put me up in a hostel in Manhattan. I don't mind the dubious shared-bath quarters that tourist families would run screaming from, I don't have to put up with the kiddos underfoot, and my apartment is near the Zoo, so it works out for all of us.

Posted by: BxNY | August 26, 2008 10:44 AM

also, the $18 train fare adds up if you are two people, or more, and go back and forth more than one time. You soon eat up your savings.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 10:49 AM

DB is right. This is the stupidest suggestion I've read in a long time.

Posted by: FrequentTraveler | August 26, 2008 11:08 AM

Red Roof Inn - Secaucus NJ. You don't have to drive PAST NYC to CT to stay. 10 minute bus trip to midtown. Free parking and right off the turnpike. Plus they take pets

Posted by: Dan | August 26, 2008 11:49 AM

I thought this was going to be an article about dropping NYC hotel prices. Not purposely staying in a renovated hotel that's a commuter train ride away.

We start hear from someone other than Ms. Sottili and it's this? Let's go back to just her, please. Or hey - reporting on TRAVEL news. Like all the planes that seem to keep falling apart globally. Updates on airline mergers. Updates on the outing of the Customs/Technology brouhaha. Or is that too much to ask?

Posted by: Chasmosaur | August 26, 2008 12:41 PM

Chasmosaur, I'm with you. Could not agree with you more. I used to enjoy this blog, but I get the sense that you people don't even know how to travel (except for Carol -- I agree that she should do the blog alone).

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 1:04 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. And sorry to disappoint you.

Posted by: Scott Vogel | August 26, 2008 1:07 PM

you guys are all mean. scott, dont take it personally. most of the people who respond to these blog postings are haters.

Posted by: awwwww | August 26, 2008 4:08 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this

Posted by: delete this | August 26, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I have to confess, I love Two and a Half Men. Just started watching it in syndication, but I'm hooked. It feels so good to get this off my chest, I can't tell any of my friends I watch this show. I know they would look down on me. I haven't started watching According to Jim, so I think there's hope for me.

Posted by: anon out of smame | August 26, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Then tell me, OhGreatAnonymus, was does it mean to "redirect one's attention or behavior?" I know exactly what the means. It does NOT teach the offender not to behavior in offending fashion.
------

Look, that's not what it means, ok? You're wrong and you don't appear to have a clue about this concept, ok? Why dig yourself a deeper hole? just drop it, you're embarrassing yourself.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:13 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

hermespal, What goes on with your felines? Do you have one in terminal stage illness? If so, I am sorry. BTDT. I never get used to it. For me, it gets tougher with each pet. And I have one pet now that is impossible to pill. Hell, I can't even catch him.

Memo in advance to the "Please Delete" Police:

Go walk into a parking meter and violate yourself.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Memo in advance to the "Please Delete" Police:

Go walk into a parking meter and violate yourself.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 4:16 PM

Sas, back so soon? I though Jeff Stryker was keeping you busy!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

My goodness. These blogs have become even more heartbreaking than before. The amount of hatred out there just brings me to tears. My husband doesnt believe me when i tell him about it. This evening i'm going to show him all these horrible comments you all make. Hopefully it wont drive him to tears!

p.s. i love cats too!

Posted by: Nancy | August 26, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"Sas, back so soon? I though Jeff Stryker was keeping you busy!!!!"

Your mother is named Jeff Stryker?

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Nope, Frankie bit off Jeff's stryker and dingleberries, so now the only way jeff can get it off is to copy and paste from other blogs.

Posted by: tee-hee | August 26, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

CLAP.

CLAP.

CLAP.
CLAP.
CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP.

Posted by: Sully gives Sas the slow clap. | August 26, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Facewash in the corner - point to Sasquatch!

Posted by: Curmudgeon thought that was a good, clean hit | August 26, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Nancy, meet Jeff. Jeff, Nancy. Now Nancy can have something to do during the day to tell her hubby about that will REALLY bring tears to his eyes when he gets home.

Posted by: 2 birds with 1 stone | August 26, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 2 birds with 1 stone | August 26, 2008 4:27 PM

I don't understand what you are insinuating. Hopefully it's nothing mean, bc i'm tired of all the mean comments. I'm a good, decent person who is the victim of horrible attacks on this blog.

Posted by: Nancy | August 26, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nancy | August 26, 2008 4:32 PM

Cue violin music

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 2 birds with 1 stone

----------------------------------------------
Are you saying that Jeff Stryker has two birds and only 1 stone? Is he some sort of Lance Armstrong on steroids? Or vice-versa?

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

ding ding ding ding

Sasquatch by five (cough) lengths!

Liz, please delete this.

Posted by: Mudge | August 26, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

ding ding ding ding

Sasquatch by five (cough) lengths!

Liz, please delete this

Posted by: Mudge | August 26, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

ding ding ding ding

Sasquatch by five (cough) lengths!

Liz, please delete this

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 26, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

it's happening again

Posted by: yipes | August 26, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

it's happening again

Posted by: yikes! | August 26, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Jeff responded to you all on the OP blog at 4:31

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Jeff responded to you all on the OP blog at 4:31

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:49 PM

If he had real stones, he'd reply here.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Say good night Gracie...
Good night Gracie.

Posted by: Gracie | August 26, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Nancy, do you know what the definition of insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Posted by: jes | August 26, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

McCain’s Celebrities:
Dean Cain
Jon Cryer
Angie Harmon
Patricia Heaton
Lorenzo Lamas
Craig T. Nelson
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Gary Sinise
Jon Voight
Daddy Yankee

Posted by: changing the topic... | August 26, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I like hearing about hermespal's cats and janet's menagerie.

The "delete that" posts make me laugh. Especially as they've gotten more ridiculous. As someone (anonymously, of course) noted, it's just one or more posters playing with us. The same as the cut-and-paster, Nancy, grammar police, luvjen, luvlinsey, etc. Oh, and the "anonymous" that stops by to hurl insults. Just enjoy the funny ones and skip over the loser ones.

And, of course Liz K doesn't go thru and delete this stuff. As the rules state, WaPo has the right, but not the obligation, to monitor the site and comments and delete anything inappropriate.

Inappropriate content is not defined as off-topic exchanges, but is defined as content that:

--infringes upon or violates the copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights of any person
--is libelous or defamatory
--is obscene, pornographic, or sexually explicit
--violates a person's right to privacy
--violates any local, state, national, or international law
--contains or advocates illegal or violent acts
--degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability, or other classification
--is predatory, hateful, or intended to intimidate or harass
--contains advertising or solicitation of any kind
--misrepresents your identity or affiliation
--impersonates others

(See? I can cut-and-paste, too!)

Lix Kelly, please feel free to delete this post. Also, while you're at it and since you have nothing better to do, please delete ALL posts with a time stamp ending in an odd number.

Posted by: alex has been deleted | August 26, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Even if it is candy don't eat it. I'd stay away from the cat to.

Posted by: to Sully | August 26, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Firstly I agree that knowing the difference between discipline and punishment is essential. Also that by the time you've reached punishment, it's a signal that all your other methods aren't working or there's some deeper issue that you aren't getting. This doesn't mean punishment should never be used, simply that, if things are functioning well, it shouldn't need to be used very much.

I like the counting method described above, but I hate counting. It drives me to no end of crazy hearing tired moms counting slowly up to 10(!!!), whining at their kids to stop their bad behavior at every point.

Knowing what your kid is feeling and how they process things goes a long way. It won't be until puberty I think until they really start to gain that sort of awareness to communicate with you (if the kid is lucky enough to have parents who sincerely teach their kids those communication skills at all). 90% of the time what I see as misbehaving kids is a SYMPTOM of the bigger problem of being too tired, over sugared, unreasonable expectations and the parent simply ignoring the kid.

Which doesn't mean I think we should be kid-centric, simply that rather than the mom saying "OK go up to bed now while I'm busy here" the mom will let the kid wander around all over the place and THEN expect them to be quiet, out of the way and not get into stuff.

Billie- I think Sue gave some great advice, but I will emphasize that perhaps changing expectations might be a trigger for him. Try letting him know about the plan of a day as early as you can and about dinner plans as much as possible. And make him feel included with jobs to do. Feeling out of control and like he can't count on anything can be a real anxiety pusher.

And try to stop it before it gets bad.

Posted by: Liz D | August 26, 2008 5:04 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm behind the times. I had to Google Daddy Yankee to find out who he was.

This chat is so educational, tho, since I also learned how important a celebrity Young Jeezy is.

BTW, I wish someone would change out the Gallery photo. That guy reminds me of a demented Maria Shriver every time I see him.

Posted by: alex wasn't up on reggae | August 26, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to ask Liz Kelly to delete my 5:15 post in her spare time. Thanks, Liz.

Posted by: alex | August 26, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex | August 26, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

McCain’s Celebrities:
Dean Cain
Jon Cryer
Angie Harmon
Patricia Heaton
Lorenzo Lamas
Craig T. Nelson
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Gary Sinise
Jon Voight
Daddy Yankee

Posted by: changing the topic... | August 26, 2008 5:00 PM

Okay, perhaps it's because I am a die heard democrat, but the GOP celebrities are never anyone that I would like to hang out with, although TV Superman is on that list. But I'll Dave Matthews, thank you (who played a show out there with Tim Reynolds and now is in C'ville to say goodbye to LeRoi :( )

Posted by: Betty | August 26, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Sharon Stone has hooked up with a guy less than half her age. (I'm OK with the age thing actually, but don't think SS should be hooking up with anyone. I think she needs to be hermetically sealed in order to not contaminate the rest of the population.)

Posted by: alex promotes good hygiene and preventive measures | August 26, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

have to confess, I love Two and a Half Men
****
i'm very frightened for you. the tune that segues scenes is enough to drive a person to pick up the first sharp object and start slashing away at the neighbors.
p.s. i watch judge judy in anonymity.
p.p.s. please delete this at once.

Posted by: janet thinks two and a half men is one gigantic stinker | August 26, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex promotes good hygiene and preventive measures | August 26, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

have to confess, I love Two and a Half Men
****
p.s. i watch judge judy in anonymity.
p.p.s. please delete this at once.

Posted by: janet thinks two and a half men is one gigantic stinker | August 26, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Great googly moogly. What the heck is going on with the time loop, multiple postings on the blog today?

Posted by: alex apologizes for the double posts | August 26, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I like discussing Andy and Page too, especially when we also get to see pics. Maybe we should call this blog celebritanimal.

Posted by: Californian and animal lover | August 26, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Memo in advance to the "Please Delete" Police:

Go walk into a parking meter and violate yourself.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 26, 2008 4:16 PM

Sorry guys, I had to dash off to a dentist appointment.

Sas, in case you come back to check later:

Thanks for the concern, and I know exactly how you feel about how hard it is to lose them. I spent two years giving one of my furkin subcutaneous fluids three times a week, which is actually easier than pilling them ;-) These two are five, and they're okay. It's just one is having ... um, problems in the litterbox shall we say, and I had to put him on Flagil. The other had an allergic reaction to the fleas (that are now absent thanks to Advantage) and had scratched himself around his neck area so badly he had some scabs and raw patches, so he's on cortisone and it's clearing up. I was worried it was a food allergy and tried making Dr. Fox's much vaunted home made cat food, which is all well and good if you can get the cats to eat the stuff, which mine won't (and I tried twice, once with beef and once with lamb), so nuts to him.

Loved your memo. You win!

Posted by: hermespal | August 26, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

BTDT with subcutaneous fluids. He lasted two years, which is probably one year longer than without the fluids.

Thankfully, no one in the current incarnation of the menagerie is on meds. I don't know what we'll do when the semi-feral one has to medicated. It's a major, turn over the furniture effort just to catch him. He has to be fully sedated to be examined by the vet.

Posted by: Sasaquatch | August 26, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Elias Howe,

Lockstich, my pal!

Got anything else I can copy?

You go!

Posted by: Isaac Singer | August 26, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Late night addition (which I hope puts the "deleters" out of business since it won't matter), but I hope Sas checks back. Last night was my first wedding anni with Mr. Hermespal (although we've been a couple for about 10 years, so whatever) but it was still pretty splendid. Tonight I continued last night's splendidness by making my incomparable Clams Casino in addition to some pretty splendid salmon.

Anyway, to business: wish I could help you with your semi-feral kitty Sas--as difficult as mine have ever been, I've never had this particular problem. My parents had a Persian they had to take to the vet for pills and even grooming, but it was as much the cat having their number than anything else. Not saying your sitch is the same by any stretch, just I haven't personally seen it. I'm lucky that my kits think I'm the beginning and end of their world, so they tolerate whatever I do with sometimes reluctant but good nature. The gelatin capsule thing was a godsend though, if you ever find yourself having to pill again--the smallest I could find is a #3 at the health food store. Honestly, it's made my life a lot easier. And happily one of the kids goes down to one pill a day tomorrow! Yay (for all of us!) ;-)

Posted by: hermespal | August 27, 2008 3:58 AM | Report abuse