Posted at 8:28 AM ET, 08/27/2008

Morning Mix: Nicolette Sheridan, Michael Bolton End Engagement

By Liz Kelly
Wednesday

Headlines: Nicollette Sheridan and Michael Bolton end engagement... Anne Hathaway says she was initially "afraid" of Obama | Photo Gallery: Celebrity Conventioneers... Daddy Yankee endorses John McCain... Kid Rock says celebrities should stay out of politics... In Venice for film festival, George Clooney hosts charity event for Darfur... Dr. Dre's son found dead... Michael Lohan says he's engaged to 24-year-old girlfriend... Diddy laments having to fly commercial... Matthew McConaughey's mom shares details of her husband's sexy death... 20-year-old Haley Joel Osment set for Broadway debut... Australia not sure it wants Snoop Dogg to visit... Hayden Panettiere blames fame-hungry cop for dad's arrest (Warning: The linked page has a video player that starts on its own.)... Audrey Tatou to play Coco Chanel in upcoming biopic... Kelly Osbourne sports black eye following alleged fight with cabinet... Keith Urban diagnosed with slipped disc... Extras seek $11 million from Tom Cruise for alleged "Valkyrie" injuries... R. Kelly denies any involvement with South African swindler.

Rumor Mill: Rep denies reports that E! pulled the plug on Denise Richards's reality... Samantha Ronson set to pen tell-all?... Jennifer Aniston lunches with Woody Allen... Kathy Griffin booked for return to Emmy stage?

Well Said
"If you have bad plastic surgery, it looks like you were brought up poor, moved to LA and didn't make it." -- John Waters on why he's not a fan of plastic surgery.

Video: Heidi Montag's -- let's just say it, horrible -- '80s inspired "Overdosin" video (not that you'll care, but the sound drops out midway through the song):

By Liz Kelly  | August 27, 2008; 8:28 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mishmash: Solange's Turn; Catwoman Casting; Caption Results
Next: Celebrity Designer: Tara Reid's Bikini Line

Comments

First, and yet I have nothing to say...

Posted by: LTL - quietly goes back to lurking | August 27, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Nicollette must have just realized she was about to marry a no talent ass clown.

Posted by: M Street | August 27, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm speechless - that video is not even camp. It's just... ugh.

Posted by: rachelt says They're the only bee in her bonnet | August 27, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Heidi might well have a great voice, but who could tell? All you can hear in that song is overproduced synthesizer and drum machine with a faint voice in the background. In her defense, it has worked for Britney, so I guess you don't need to be able to sing to succeed.

The video looks like a SNL parody of Let's Get Physical.

[OK, got na error message, so sorry if this posts twice]

Posted by: second try | August 27, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

um, "an" error message. I can't post OR type this morning....

Posted by: whoops | August 27, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Michael Bolton...that no talent a$$-clown

Not only should Kid Rock stay out of politics, but he should also stay out of Waffle Houses.

Michael Lohan and a 24 year old, well at least she's older than Lindsey, which makes him just a little less skeevy than Hulk Hogan dating his daughter's best friend.

Diddy is flying American Airlines now, as if I needed another reason not to fly American.

Not touching the Kay McConaughey item with a 10 ft pole. Well, ok, I really hope his last words were 'Alright, alright, alright...'

Keith Urban suffers from a slipped disc, well at least you can't say he suffers from talent.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 27, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

"Nicolette Sheridan and Michael Bolton end engagement."

Who?

Do you suppose that Jennifer Aniston is Woody's new "muse"?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 27, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Ms. Anniston a little too old for Woody?

Blast M Street, you beat me to the punch.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 27, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Amen, John Waters.....amen.

Posted by: Magnolia | August 27, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

i've tried several times to post and keep getting an error message. anyone else?

Posted by: methinks | August 27, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Kid Rock says celebrities should stay out of politics . . . and in Waffle Houses.

That wacky MacConaughey clan! First it's placenta fruit, then it's senior citizens dying in the saddle, what's next?

Posted by: Nick | August 27, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Liz, something very strange is going on with your web blog workings.

I have to Command + "Refresh" each time to load the page and then there is an error message dellivered with a "submit" post. (I got around the error message by using the "Command" + "Refresh" combination.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 27, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the celeb-convention posts this morning, Liz. How did you know I was going through major Colorado withdrawal?

And I haven't seen a picture of Pharrell in a loooong time. Mmmmmm. Thanks for that, too.

And finally, I'm sorry, but who is Daddy Yankee?

Posted by: Sully misses the Rocky Mountain Way | August 27, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Liz, something very strange is going on with your web blog workings.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 27, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

What's with everybody and their mother writing tell-all books? First Matthew McConaughey's mother (titled "I Amaze Myself", no less....good for you, honey) and then Samantha Ronson? I don't think her life or relationship with Lindsay Lohan is interesting enough for a tell-all.

Posted by: Magnolia | August 27, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

the only way I can post is to preview the comment then hit post, and tha works only about 50% of the time.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Heidi - that video was a bad joke, right? Filmed in your cousin's basement - right?

Why was her mouth moving but not mimicing the words in the song? Was she saying something else?

Posted by: Amelia | August 27, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Slow day today. I can't think of anything witty to comment on. Xcept, how does one get a black eye from a cabinet? I'm trying to picture it and I can maybe see a cut to your temple but that black eye is coming from the "nose" side. If it fell and hit her in the temple... would it not be worse on the "ear" side of her face? I dunno, I'm no Dr. but it's strange...

Kid Rock is right. Why do we care if Anne Hathaway (I love her but..) likes Obama or Daddy Yankee likes McCain? Both of them (McCain/Obama) stink so what's the big deal?

Posted by: Brenna | August 27, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

i'm nott shure y mr. lohan alwayz needz to critize my 2nd mom dina. its not rite. dina is an amzying mom, she treets me and linsey and ali like awsumly.

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 27, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

The last time I refreshed, the Post's "Rental" page opened.

Do you think we are being harassed by Thetans?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 27, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Diddy, don't get me wrong: you know you're my brother, right? Still, man, STFU about your JetA bills. 200K? What are you flying, an Airbus? Something like a Challenger 600 would use a third of that...

TMI: from her description of the event, it seems Kay McConaughey was on top when Jim went.

Isn't it weird how a black eye neither improves nor detracts from Kelly Osbourne's appearance?

Those of us who have video blocked at our places of employment will now take a moment to be grateful for that fact.

Posted by: byoolin suspects Jen is a bit old for Woody. | August 27, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

The Waters quote just SLAYED me.

Posted by: 23112 | August 27, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who saw the picture of Anne Hathaway and immediately thought she was auditioning for the role of the Joker?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 27, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I give up and apologize in advance if my comments show up later..maybe five times..

Posted by: methinks | August 27, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, you beat me to the punch.

Posted by: Karmic order is restored to byoolin's universe. | August 27, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't even view comments until just now--kept telling me the page no longer existed and I wondered if our commenting privileges had been suspended.

What does Heidi have against the letter 'g'? Or is that just supposed to make it more '80s?

Posted by: mouse | August 27, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"Nicolette Sheridan, Michael Bolton End Engagement" -- I didn't even know they were together (do I have to turn in my Celebritology credentials?).

I thought Nicolette Sheridan was with Harry Hamlin. Or at least I remember the two of them on some late-night talk show years ago where she giggled a lot while pawing him, and he couldn't put together one coherent sentence.

That was after Harry Hamlin was with Ursula Andress. So clearly what I know is very dated information. I'm so ashamed.

Posted by: td has to stop watching knots landing and l.a. law reruns | August 27, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

If I was in my early 20's and I thought I had the ability to become a semi-famous entertainer...why o why would I turn to my 20-something boyfriend as THE person who could make that happen? I mean, bring him along for the ride by all means, but WHY would you see another 20-something with NO experience as your best way into the business? Conversely, if you were a 20-something dude who saw his girlfriend as a perfect meal ticket...why would you try to mess that up for yourself? That is your INVESTMENT man...stay close enough to reap the benefits of her "fame" but get that lady to someone who can DO something with what little she's got. Heidi might have little or nothing to work with, but a manager with even a little experience would a) not let her do a music video like the one above and b) not let said video get released in a 10 minute, semi-uncut version. They would work hard to make sure that video didn't, you know, suck.

Posted by: Speidi-musing | August 27, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Liz, please delete curmudgeon's comment at 9:29 AM

Posted by: liz please delete | August 27, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Will somebody please take away Heincer's iMovie Maker!

Posted by: Dorkus | August 27, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Haley Joel Osment -- first of all, it's nice to know he wasn't arrested, which is what I usually expect to see here about our younger stars -- is going to be in a Broadway play with John Leguizamo and Cedric the Entertainer?

This gives me a Sandy Cheeks moment; to paraphrase her original SpongeBob quote: "This is wrong, this is wrong, this is WRONGWRONGWRONG."

Haley, John, and Cedric together just gives me this weird "I See Dead Wong Foo on the Johnson Family Vacation" vibe.

Posted by: td cannot process this trio at all | August 27, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Who is Heidi Montag?

Posted by: noone | August 27, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps penning a tell-all is the new taking yourself out of Emmy consideration.

Posted by: OfficeGirl | August 27, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Rep denies reports that E! pulled the plug on Denise Richards's reality...

I did find that leaving off 'show', as intentional or accidental as it might have been, was just simply worth a good chuckle.

Now if E! could just pull the plug on Denise's fame and public limelight, it'd be all good....

And while E! is at it, could they pull the plug on Heididdlydo period, it'd be much appreciated...

Posted by: Anonyonandon | August 27, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

If I was in my early 20's and I thought I had the ability to become a semi-famous entertainer...why o why would I turn to my 20-something boyfriend as THE person who could make that happen? - Posted by: Speidi-musing

****

Three words: "peanut-sized brain."

Posted by: byoolin thinks it parallels her talent. | August 27, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Who knew Kid Rock was so brilliant?

And who wanted to know anything at all about Matthew McConaughey's mom? I'm quite certain I didn't.

Posted by: jaybbub | August 27, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Right on, M Street. Maybe she was sleepin' with Lumberg.

Posted by: rachelt | August 27, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

If nothing else, the video underscores why the 80's leotard-tights-leg warmers look is so awful. If a tiny little thing like Heidi suddenly looks full-of-hip and ungainly...you KNOW that's a trend that needs no repeating. ech.

Posted by: Omaha | August 27, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"[Kay McConaughey's] husband . . . died while she was having sex with him."

Well, get over YOU, Judy Benjamin!

"On Monday mornings, he and I often said goodbye by making love," Kay, 78, told Us magazine."

I sure hope he got up -- er -- woke extra-early on Mondays. Otherwise those 8 a.m. meetings would be hard -- er -- a bear to get to on time.

Posted by: td is not reading this while playing bongos | August 27, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

R. Kelly denies any involvement with South African swindler.

Guess the swindler wasn't under-age.

Posted by: LOL! | August 27, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I know she has fans on this site but Anne Hathway should not speak. The more she talks the less I like her.

Posted by: Lisa1 | August 27, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Actually Haley Joel Osment has been in the news for being arrested. About 2 years ago he flipped his Saturn and was arrested for DUI and underage drinking.

Posted by: Cleveland Brown | August 27, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"byoolin suspects Jen is a bit old for Woody." -- I'd like to hope Woody is a bit old for woody, for the sake of all twenty- and thirtysomething women.

Posted by: td is still scarred by matt's mom's tale | August 27, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

actually, the issue here with people lke Paris Hilton and Speidi and all the others even existing is TV. We have a billion channels trying to fill space 24/7 and so they just generate and endless stream of celinedion and slap it up there. It costs next to nothing to produce "reality" shows, even thought they are essentially scripted, so the companies just keep created more and more vile BS. All that money going to worthless people and wasting time. It is depressing (also why we do not have a TV in our house--not worth the time suck). Remember when there were four or so channels on regular tv and then a few on UHF?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Wait, wait, wait, Haley Joel Osment drives a Saturn? The only people I know who drive Saturns got them as hand-me-downs from their moms. Was the Corolla too much car for him?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 27, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Audrey TAUTOU

Posted by: Spelling police respectfully draws Liz's attention to a typo | August 27, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"[Kay McConaughey's] husband . . . died while she was having sex with him."

Well, get over YOU, Judy Benjamin!

That was also the plotline in an early episode of "The Golden Girls," where Rose wakes up in the morning to discover her gentleman friend lying dead next to her in bed, after an energetic night.

Posted by: Golden Girl | August 27, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

So, Michael Lohan is essentially engaged to his daughter. Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy.

Hey luv, you've been missed! You're always good for a laugh when I need one.

Posted by: EricS | August 27, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Well the apple didn't fall far from the too much information tree in the McConaughy household. Yeesh. No wonder he's all messed up.

I hate to say this but Anne Hathaway sounds like a nitwit. Not because she's supporting Obama. I couldn't care less who she supports, but what she said...oh please just shut up.

"If you have bad plastic surgery, it looks like you were brought up poor, moved to LA and didn't make it." An interesting quote since the photo of Nicolette Sheridan is also on the page. It illustrates John Waters' point very nicely. Well done, Liz Kelly!

Posted by: methinks | August 27, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Was the Corolla too much car for him?

Posted by: Dorkus | August 27, 2008 10:00 AM

****

Comment of the week. Right there.

Posted by: byoolin | August 27, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 27, 2008 9:33 AM
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

luvlinsey, you do realize that your relationship with the Lohans is strictly in your head, right? That you don't really know them. You know there are plenty of drugs out there that can help you with this delusion. Please let me help you. We'll deal with your poor spelling and grammar once we get your meds worked out.

Posted by: Dr. Phil just wants to help luvlinsey be the person he knows she can be | August 27, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

i thynk that my 2nd mom dina shoold go 2 the darfur thingy that george is hosting. then she and george wil get marryed! they are the prferct couple.

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 27, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Oh, luvlinsey knows them, alright. It's just that they don't know her.

Posted by: to Dr. Phil | August 27, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Breaking R. Kelly News:

R. Kelly just e-mailed me to tell me that my assistance is needed to help some relatives of some rich Nigerian man, who is dying of cancer, get their oil well producing again. If I can loan them some money to help them back on their feet, I'm in for a cut on the inheritance.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 27, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"Snoop Dogg and . . . Ice Cube plan an Australian concert tour in October."

To be followed up by the release of the live concert CD: "DingoStyle."

Posted by: td | August 27, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

It looks like we have another contender in the comment of the week in MoCoSnarky.

Posted by: Sully | August 27, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 27, 2008 9:33 AM
==========
If you're not sure he "alwayz" needs to criticize Dina, when should he criticize Dina?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 27, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"i thynk that my 2nd mom dina shoold go 2 the darfur thingy that george is hosting." --luvlinsey

I have to find a way to insert "the darfur thingy" into my conversation today.

Posted by: td thinks dorkus has stiff competition for comment of the week | August 27, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I have to find a way to insert "the darfur thingy" into my conversation today.

*****************************************

I like this one.

Posted by: Dorkus who loves competition | August 27, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if Audrey Tautou's Chanel will be able to complete with Shirley MacLaine's Chanel.

Posted by: jake e. poo | August 27, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

And don't undersell yourself, td.

"DingoStyle" resulted in iced coffee dripping from my monitor. Ok, that may be an exaggeration...but still. I laughed out loud.

Posted by: Sully is feeling unoriginal today and is content to rely on others | August 27, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

To be followed up by the release of the live concert CD: "DingoStyle."

Posted by: td | August 27, 2008 10:22 AM
**********
Bravo! Bravo!

Posted by: methinks throws bouquets at td's feet! | August 27, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

td, Nicollette Sheridan dumped her hot European boyfriend to get back with Michael Bolton a couple of years ago. Harry Hamlin has been married to that big lipped freak Lisa Rhinna for several years now.

Ok, all caught up.

Posted by: to td | August 27, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I liked Haley Joel Osment (girl's name or not) better after learning that he drove a six-year-old Saturn, even if he did wreck it while driving baked. Either he's not a self-obsessed tool, or his parents have the rare foresight to keep his piggy bank locked up. Or, they spent it all themselves, and all he could afford on his Second Hand Lions paycheck was the Saturn. I suppose that's possible.

Posted by: WDC | August 27, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I was comletely shocked that Woody Allen is 72- at least until I scrolled down to his picture. Dag, he's looking old.

Posted by: Sully | August 27, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Nicollette realized it wasn't the man she loved, it was the mullett. And when the mullett went, so did the love. It's a tragedy, really.

Kid Rock's statement was followed by a gale force wind that was the collective sigh of relief from politicians everywhere.

I never hear anything Anne Hathaway says because I'm distracted by the dumbo ears. Oooh, flappy!

John Waters rocks.

Posted by: epony | August 27, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sully | August 27, 2008 10:41 AM

Isn't John McCain 72 too?

Posted by: sobering thought | August 27, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

THANK YOU LIZ for a gr8t pic of JEN the fabilous SMARTWATER inventer!!!!!!! THE WATER WITH ALL THE ANSWERS! I have been waitin in the libary for an HOUR to get on the freakin COMPUTER bcause some SCUM guy was watching idiot Hieni's legwarmer VIDIO!
JEN DOES NOT NEEED LEGWAREMERS OR WOODY ALLEN NIETHER!!!!!!!
HUGS TO JEN! SHe is as NATURE INTENDIDED!!

Posted by: luvjen | August 27, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen John Water's mustache? I'm not sure where he gets off criticizing other people's looks.

Posted by: Cleveland Brown | August 27, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

There is no way that Heidi video is 10 minutes long. That is way too much Heidi to take in one sitting.

Posted by: petal | August 27, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for catching me up on Nicolette and Harry. I'd forgotten about Lisa Rinna. To me, she's still the "new Hope" on "Days Of Our Lives."

(I know, another dated 80s reference from me this morning; sorry, all this talk about legwarmers must be getting to me.)

Did you say "back with" Michael Bolton? She returned for seconds? epony, maybe the mullet did give him some Samson powers that left with the hair.

Now if I can just find a way to fit both "the darfur thingy" and "Oooh, flappy!" into the same sentence today. . . .

Posted by: td also humbly thanks sully and methinks | August 27, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Food for thought... can someone explain to me the appeal of the "Hills" and all the wannabes associated with it? As a 30 something, I am obviously too old to get it and don't understand why a Heincer/Speidi can become famous for it... blech.

Posted by: bflogal | August 27, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cleveland Brown | August 27, 2008 10:51 AM
*************
Where do any of us get off criticizing other people's looks? It's just snark. Good clean fun. You know, for kids!

Posted by: methinks | August 27, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

To bflogal:

I'm a twentysomething and I wouldn't watch those shows if you paid me. I don't understand the appeal, either.

Posted by: Sully | August 27, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

how does john waters keep that 'stache so cheezy?

anne hathaway needs to stop confusing her choices in men with her choices in politicians.

Posted by: b | August 27, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

My take is that John Waters is merely commenting on the plastic surgery craziness of Hollywood and how people can't be content with how they look.

Also, methinks nice Hudsucker Proxy reference.

Posted by: Dorkus | August 27, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The full John Waters article at the Observer is great:

Any grooming rituals?

For 40 years I've shaved my moustache from the top every day and trimmed it with scissors twice a week. If I miss, I draw it on with eyeliner.

Posted by: ADHD | August 27, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

OMG...

I actually agree with something Kid Rock has to say.....

Dude......................

Posted by: Brutal thinks the Apocalypse is upon us | August 27, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

whatevs!
georg cloony and dina 4-ever
team linsey
go ali!

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 27, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

JEN DOES NOT NEEED LEGWAREMERS OR WOODY ALLEN NIETHER!!!!!!!
HUGS TO JEN! SHe is as NATURE INTENDIDED!!

Posted by: luvjen | August 27, 2008 10:45 AM

whatevs luvjen. linsey is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much bettr than jen. jen just is jelus of linsey and dina.

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 27, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

luvlinsey, dear

Do you think Dina would have the time to take Jen under her maternal wing to help Jen get over Brad?

She still suffers so . . .

Posted by: Mudge | August 27, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Reason #437 to LOOOVE John Waters

From that article:
A Dirty Shame was about every kind of sexual perversion, like the sexual attraction to dirt. I hope I don't get that, but I guess you've got to save a couple of things for your autumn years.

Posted by: Bored @ work | August 27, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Nicollette Sheridan and Michael Bolton end engagement

Why did they end their previous engagement? Unless it was for some problem that was corrected in the interim, why did they get back together? Did they learn nothing from their first relationship?

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 27, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Anne Hathaway: "I've been burned by politicians before that I wanted to believe in and just didn't live up to it"

Who, Anne, who? Please name names!

Posted by: Nosy Parker lives up to her name | August 27, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

****
i do remember that, quite well. and our local channel showed those marvelous cartoons from the 40s as well as the b/w movies from the 30s and 40s. that's how i came to know many of those great actors and actresses. and don't forget rocket j. squirrel.

Posted by: janet fondly remembers 4 channels and uhf | August 27, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

HuH! As IF! At least JEN has been married to a MAN and dont date no OLDER WOMAN who wears a HAT LINSY and her mom dont have WATER niether....STUPID WEIRDO scumbugget libarian is telling me to GO HOME. JEN IS SPESHAL!!!!!!!HUGS!!!!!!

Posted by: luvjen | August 27, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Two great Hollywood comments in one day. Whoda thunk it? Well, we knew John Waters has a brain. But, Kid Rock too? Wow. I think the earth tilted on its access.

My reaction when I heard that Nicolette Sheridan and MIchael Bolton split up -- haven't they been engaged a million years at this point. I was only slightly off. Apparently, they were engaged in the 1990s, then split for her Harry Hamlin phase. They got back together in 2005 and then just split again. Folks, give it up. You had long engagements both times and never made it to the alter, clearly it is not meant to be.

Finally, you think the attack comments here are bad, you should have read the Weather Gang blog yesterday in the post about Hurricane Gustav. Eeeek. In a WEATHER BLOG. Since it is August and the schools have all gone back, my best bet is some low level federal employee wasting taxpayer dollars while the bosses are on vacation.

Posted by: ep | August 27, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Who, Anne, who? Please name names!

Posted by: Nosy Parker lives up to her name | August 27, 2008 12:21 PM

Nosy, I completely agree with you. What does that statement mean?

Posted by: Mz Fitz | August 27, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"some low level federal employee wasting taxpayer dollars"

********************************************

ep is it ok for low level federal contractors to waste taxpayer dollars here?

Posted by: Dorkus hoping it's ok for him to be here | August 27, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Who Anne means: She was burned by 'Tony', who ran for her high school class president in the '90s on a platform of more pop machines in the lunchroom but who actually turned out to be bent on the ethnic cleansing of the jocks.

Posted by: byoolin theorizes. | August 27, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Amy Argetsinger: ...Also saw Anderson Cooper posing with a fan for a photo. "You're a celebrity!" she said, and he replied, "Oh, no, I'm just on basic cable." It's annoyingly hard not to like him.

Posted by: from today's WaPo Reliable Source chat | August 27, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: luvjen | August 27, 2008 12:42 PM

whatevs! linsey is SOOOOOOOO much cooler than jen. linsey has a record deal and is gonna win a grammy, she's is starring in hit moovies and is about to win an oscar, and also is gonnnna win a emmy for being on uglee bettey. and dina is the awsumist bc she raized exccelent kids and she's a famouse dancer and everythyng. jen just was on frendz, and she was the wurst of all of theym and even brad dumpt her.

Posted by: luvlinsey | August 27, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Who, Anne, who? Please name names!

Posted by: Nosy Parker lives up to her name | August 27, 2008 12:21 PM

Nosy, I think she is referring to that Bratty Billy Johnson who ran for class president in 8th grade and did make good on his promise to get green jello taken off the menu.

Posted by: hodie | August 27, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

After the Ellen Burstyn flap (where she was nominated for a Supporting Actress Emmy for an 18-second performance), don't the Emmys now have a minimum-time rule, which would automatically disqualify Lindsay's cameo on Ugly Betty from nomination?

Posted by: jus' askin' | August 27, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

byoolin you beat me again to the punch

Posted by: hodie | August 27, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to take a moment here to point out in luvjen's 12:42 the use of a beautiful new word, "scumbugget."

Posted by: byoolin | August 27, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Saw that many others of you have been having technical difficulties. I had the same problem yesterday afternoon. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Thought the IT police at work were on to me. Actually did some work this am.

I will feel bad for Diddy when he has to sit all the way in the back in Coach next to the lavoratory on a 10 hr flight overseas.

Posted by: hodie | August 27, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I like the pairing of the words "scumbugget libarian" - it reminds me of Nadsat (teenage language) from A Clockwork Orange.

Posted by: Groovis | August 27, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Keith Urban has been diagnosed with a slipped disc . . . it won't affect the singer's touring schedule."

In unrelated news, Kay McConaughey was spotted backstage holding an autographed copy of Keith's CD "Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing."

Posted by: td | August 27, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I figured "scumbugget libarian" was just luvjen's pet name for the nurse who brings her her meds.

Posted by: oops! | August 27, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

This kind of crap occurs in youth baseball all the time. When I was coaching I had an ace pitcher that few kids could hit as well. In our league there were rules not only about how many innings a kid could pitch in a game but also mandatory rest days between games. Once a kid pitched 3 innings in a game, he was required to rest for at least 2 days before pitching again. This usually wasn't a problem because regular game days were Wednesday and Saturday. League rules also specified that makeup games be announced at least 3 days in advance.

So my team was locked neck and neck for the championship with a team that happened to include the son of the league administrator. The last game we were scheduled to play against each other and would decide the final league standings was to be played on a Wednesday. We had another game scheduled for the following Saturday but the outcome would not effect the standings and that was to be our final game of the season. However, the Wednesday game with our first place competitor was rained out and a makeup was to be rescheduled for some time in the following week. We assumed going in to the final regular game on Saturday that we would play the makeup game on the following Wednesday, our normal game day. So I pitch my ace on Saturday and immediately after the game (a win of course), the leage administrator comes to me and says the opposing team coach is going to be out of town all next week. He doesn't want to miss the game and the league can't delay the makeup game for yet another week so we will have to play tomorrow - Sunday.

I immediately pull the league rule book out of my bag and point to the paragraph that says makeup games will be announced 3 days in advance. I get this silly "Well, it can't be helped. Try to be flexible. Little Bobby Jones wants his dad to see him play for the championship, blah blah blah...." response. I tell him we won't play and he says fine, you'll forfeit. The league wasn't a nationally or regionally sanctioned one so I had no avenue of appeal. Nor did I have any pitchers for the next day because both my best pitchers had pitched 3 innings on Saturday and therefore could not pitch on Sunday. I tried making the case that if he was going to suspend the 3-day rule for make up games, then the pitching rules should be suspended as well. Of course he refused, citing the safety and health of the players (unfortunatley I had to agree).

So we got spanked on the following day and lost the championship to his son's team (talk about a conflict of interest). And guess who I saw wondering around town throughout the next week, including Wednesday? Yes, the opposing team's supposedly "out of town" coach.

Nothing surprises me in youth sports.

Posted by: gbchriste | August 27, 2008 11:04 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Random thoughts on the gallery of Celebrity Conventioneers:

Photo 4: Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-Calif.) looks like Roseanne Barr. The idea of her hugging Jimmy Jam sent shivers up my spine and the horrific idea of a Roseanne cover of "Nasty" and other Janet Jackson hits.

Photo 10: Well, if Anne Hathaway was burned by a politician, perhaps it was Ted Kennedy. While she says, "I know he's had a tough time with his health lately and my heart goes out to him along with my best wishes and my prayers." she doesn't say she likes him or anything. Hmm.

Photo 13: Alan Cumming looks like h_ll. Not only that, he can't even vote in this country, can he? So what's he doing in Denver?

Posted by: td | August 27, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | August 27, 2008 12:43 PM

********************************************

ep is it ok for low level federal contractors to waste taxpayer dollars here?

Posted by: Dorkus hoping it's ok for him to be here | August 27, 2008 12:47 PM

------------------------------------

Or for that matter, mid level federal employees?

Some of my best friends and all that....

Posted by: epony | August 27, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

If he weren't such a whack job in his own right, I could really feel sorry for Matthew McC right about now. Just...ick.

Can't wait for the world to realize that Speidi's 15 minutes were up...oh, about 15 minutes after they first appeared.

Woody Allen's preoccupation with young actresses is skeevy. At least he has ceased casting himself opposite them as romantic interest. But I don't think I can bring myself to see this latest pic--just the idea that he was directing all of those sex scenes gives me the creeps.

I agree wholeheartedly that Anne Hathaway needs to shut up as I too have gone from mildly liking her to ... not so much.

Posted by: hermespal | August 27, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

. Earlier this week, when asked who he planned to vote for, frontman Chris Daughtry said "When I see both of them in tights, then I can make my decision."

There is no doubt who will be the winner... ;-)

Posted by: hodie | August 27, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mz Fitz | August 27, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Sheryl Crow, center, performs at the Green Sunday At Red Rocks Democratic National Convention welcoming concert. Crow dedicated her song "Strong Enough" to Barack Obama, singing "Are you strong enough to be my man, or my president?"
=======
Then she encouraged everyone to sing along with her on the chorus...

"Lie to me. I'll promise, I believe."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 27, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"It seems that the Hathaway/Heigl ticket is running to get kicked off of the island into obscurity." - Posted by: Mz Fitz

***

Hmmm. Maybe this is a target market for Tara Reid's swimwear, which MoCoSnarky so aptly described as "cheap bikinis, which would likely disintegrate upon any contact with water, not that that would bother anyone who would purchase that crap..."

Posted by: byoolin gets a beer and binoculars. | August 27, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Who, Anne, who? Please name names!

Posted by: Nosy Parker lives up to her name | August 27, 2008 12:21 PM
=====
Just throwing out a wild guess...considering Anne's taste in boyfriends...

Eliot Spitzer?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 27, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Headline: "Obama, Biden starting bus tour in Beaver on Friday"

Posted by: sic, sic, sic | August 27, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Just throwing out a wild guess...considering Anne's taste in boyfriends...

Eliot Spitzer?

MoCo, good thing I wasn't taking a sip when I read that.

Anne Hathaway was such a nice girl. Very unHollywood. Now, she is quickly entering irritating territory.

Posted by: ep | August 27, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

See these type of blog comments are what we should be having. Civilized discussions, no hatred, and gentle discourse.

Posted by: Nancy | August 27, 2008 2:00 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

MoCoSnarky, I like your Spitzer guess. Another possibility, John Edwards?

td, Alan Cumming is the host of Mystery! on Masterpiece Theater and I got a bit mouthy about how the US doesn't properly fund the arts. I'm guessing that's what he's doing in Denver...talkin' up the arts.

By the way, the other day I made up a word, "arsesome," which I defined as someone who has very nice arse. While I realize it's no 'scumbugget' I thought it was rather good.

Posted by: methinks | August 27, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"Lie to me. I'll promise, I believe."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 27, 2008 2:44 PM

Excellent point you have there, MoCoSnarky.

So between the poorly thought out choice in song and the lame attempt to fit too many syllables into one line, can we all agree that Sheryl Crowe is, um, no good?

Posted by: Sully don't date no OLDER WOMAN who wears a HAT | August 27, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nancy | August 27, 2008 2:00 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 3:07 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

ooops..Alan Cumming got a bit mouthy, not I. My bad.

Posted by: methinks | August 27, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Liz please delete the post at 3:13 PM

Posted by: liz please delete | August 27, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

MILLER'S AT GLENCOT HOUSE, Wookey Hole, Wells, Somerset, England.

Posted by: Wookey Hole? Star Wars alert! | August 27, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

ArmyBrat 40

anonymous, insecure whiner 0

Posted by: Bella | August 27, 2008 3:15 PM

Times Bella get laid per year, 0

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 3:20 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Great calls on Spitzer and Edwards being AH's disappointments!

Who would have thought I'd worship at the altar of Kid Rock's philosophy?

Considering the free for all last week over Roseanne/Brangalina it is kind of interesting that there isn't a bigger backlash against someone like AH or Charlize. If we can generally agree that it doesn't matter a damn who Brangelina endorses, even considering their international good works, then it is, if possible, even less relevant who Anne Hathaway endorses.

Posted by: hermespal | August 27, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Anne Hathaway is ... a retard.

Posted by: nilly | August 27, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

===============
She's not the kinda girl you take home.

And she doesn't know how to pronounce the word, "thistle." Drives me crazy everytime I hear that stupid song.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky, makes the rules up as I go | August 27, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

New England Patriot quarterback Tom Brady has paid a fortune for a Brentwood plot to please his love, model Gisele Bundchen... Brady wanted to build a home on the land so he can be closer to his son by stunning actress Bridget Moynahan. The two broke up when Moynahan discovered she was carrying his child and he was involved with the supermodel.

Posted by: say wha? | August 27, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Cops rushed to the Florida home of O.J. Simpson after his eldest daughter knocked him to the ground in a brawl over his girlfriend Christie Prody, sources said... O.J. was "cut on the back of his head, blood was coming out the side of his mouth and his lip was cut..." "It wasn't a big deal," the source said of Sunday's scuffle. "He wasn't all cut up..."

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Jen looks great, even though her head looks too big for her body in that pic. I also noticed the ring on her wedding finger before I read the story.

Will the entire McConaughey and Lohan families just shut up, please? Although I would like to know why Mrs. McC didn't teach her stinky son to wear deodorant. Ew.

Anne H's comment just made her sound like a total airhead. Anne, stick to acting.

Posted by: Californian | August 27, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Why would Gisele be pleased that Tom's gonna build a house near the ex who had his child?"

And why would Bridget Moynahan want the guy who cheated on her anywhere near her? Didn't she even give the baby her name?

Posted by: Californian | August 27, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps because they are all trying to act like adutls and do what is best for the child here? Unusual concept with celebrities, I know. However, that seems to be the case here. No public court battles with nastiness on both sides over custody and child support. Just two people realizing they are not meant to be together, but living up to their obligations as parents.

Posted by: ep | August 27, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

From the Snoop Dog article: He said the rapper, whose birth name is Cordozar Calvin Broadus Jr.

Hey, Elias Howe, was your invention used for his real name or his alias?

Posted by: hodie | August 27, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Tom didn't cheat on Bridget Moynahan - they had broken up THEN she told him that she was pregnant, like 3 month pregnant - so this whole idea that he "left is pregnant girlfriend" while I guess techinically true since she was pregnant when they broke up, but it's not like he rolled when he told her, and honestly, think it was the mature thing to do not to get back together just b/c she was having his kid.

Posted by: Betty | August 27, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

ep, stop making sense.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

On the tone-deaf Sheryl Crow: I seem to recall her singing during a football halftime show right after 9/11. One of her songs told us to "lighten up." Hm.

Also, I'd like to sue Tom Cruise, too, for emotional distress brought on by his, uh, cruisiness.

Posted by: jsk | August 27, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

jsk, just have to say that despite his cruisiness, TC is really really good in "Tropic Thunder" doing a spot-on riff on a couple of famous (and famous for their abusiveness) movie producers. As much as I dislike him, he practically steals the movie.

Posted by: hermespal | August 27, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Betty | August 27, 2008 4:24 PM

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. So let's just hope Tom Brady learned from Heath Ledger's mistake, and is providing generously for his child in his will.

Posted by: George Santayana | August 27, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

i need to come back to the regular celeb main post after reading about what types of things sasquatch and sully and mudge are doing to each other. whack-a-mole??!?!??! disgusting.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Watch it, anon. Do not sully my name like that.

Posted by: Sully | August 27, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

ep, stop making sense.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 4:25 PM

_________________________

And you may say to yourself, "that's not my beautiful wife." And you may ask yourself, "where does that highway go to?"

Posted by: Groovis in a big white suit | August 27, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Anonymous, we three are raw sienna pervs.

Eat your heart out.

Posted by: Curmudgeon is the shortstop | August 27, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Nice, Groovis!

Posted by: Sully sings, aaaand the days go by | August 27, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Can a video win a razzie?

Posted by: Irishgirl | August 27, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Watch it, anon. Do not sully my name like that.

Posted by: Sully | August 27, 2008 4:45 PM

you're the one letting sasquatch and others perform "whack-a-mole"'s on you!!! you're sullying up your name yourself.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, good night, everybody. It's been swell.

See you all tomorrow.

Posted by: Sully | August 27, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Well, good night, everybody. It's been swell.

See you all tomorrow.

Posted by: Sully | August 27, 2008 4:58 PM

off to get whack-a-mole'd?

hahahahhahaa

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

So I've heard, hermespal, and I guess I'll see it. On DVD. I hope it signals that TC can take a step away from the self-seriousness that annoys us so and play knowing wink-wink roles...but I've commented on that before.

And I know it's futile to ask actors to just...act. And problematic, for then, what would we do all day?

Posted by: jsk | August 27, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Tim Gunn is never shy about his opinions on Project Runway — calling a dress a “pterodactyl out of a gay Jurassic Park” isn’t exactly holding back. And when PEOPLE talked to the debonair fashion expert at the Tide and Downy Total Care Launch Party, he expressed his disapproval of Katie Holmes’s recent penchant for fall’s new baggy jeans. “I have to say, Katie Holmes has become so much more sophisticated in so many ways, but I think she’s in a dip right now. I can’t explain it.” Gunn actually sees the adaptation of the new look as a move back towards her younger look, saying “She ascended from this tomboyish waif look to an incredible sexy sophisticate. We realize how much style she’s capable of. I don’t get it.” But for those of us who are digging Katie’s baggy look (also spotted on Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston), Gunn does give us hope. “With the right shape, it can work very well.”

Posted by: Tim Gunn on Katie Holmes baggy jeans look | August 27, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Groovis, thank you for putting Once in a Lifetime in my head. One of the ten best tunes of the last 25 years.

Posted by: Sasquatch, same as he ever was | August 27, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Mister Hankey, you seem to have mistaken the Morning Mix for the OP Blog, err.... commode.

Now be a nice boy and swim down that hole when I push on this handle.

Posted by: Sasquatch flushes one more time | August 27, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Even Tim Gunn insults Tom Cruise.

Posted by: ep | August 27, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Just ... had ... root canal. Sort of like watching Heidi's video, but with electric dental drills. I'll let you know which is worse when my pain pills wear off.

Posted by: LLL | August 27, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Diddy said we are now able to adequately judge the severity of the increasing oil prices because he's flying commercial. I think I got the message when gas went up over $4.00 per gallon. But, thanks for putting the situation in perspective by making it all about you, Diddy.

Posted by: LLL | August 27, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't that person on the "Mojave Experiment" ad look like Bobby Lee doing a spoof of someone? Like Kim Jong-Il for Microsoft, or Connie Chung.

Posted by: LLL | August 27, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any suggestions for a single sentence a troll could say in this discussion group that would really get us riled up? Here are some thoughts:

Global warming isn't happening.

If you don't vote for Obama, you're a racist.

Vegetarians are idiots, and vegans are too ridiculous to try to categorize.

I shoot kittens for sport.

Posted by: LLL | August 27, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorkus | August 27, 2008 10:00 AM

Wow. I just traded in my 10 year old Saturn for an 09 Corolla. Wow.

And kudos to Kid Rock.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | August 27, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

LLL,

Sorry.

The statements you cited would only raise our snark to astronomical levels.

Those statements are begging for a dose of Lizard cheekiness.

(didn't you used to be the pound sterling icon?)

Posted by: Curmudgeon is a cynic | August 27, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

OK, what is the relationship between:
Whack-a-mole and mole sauce?
Whack-a-mole and guacamole?
Or are those "aids" used in the (ahem) process.

Posted by: possum, hold the beans | August 27, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

OK, what is the relationship between:
Whack-a-mole and mole sauce?
Whack-a-mole and guacamole?
Or are those "aids" used in the (ahem) process.

Posted by: possum, hold the beans | August 27, 2008 5:55 PM

perhaps Sasquatch can answer, since he seems to like "whack-a-mole"-ing with curmudgeon and sully.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Mudge--yes, British Sterling symbols. However, people didn't know how to respond to me directly. They ended up copying my entire post, then answering. So I am using LLL for now to shorten the flow. Aren't I sweet?

Posted by: LLL | August 27, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Heck -- I didn't even know how to do the British Sterling symbols until byoolin told me about the charmap command.

Posted by: LLL | August 27, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse