Posted at 11:07 AM ET, 08/14/2008

Photo Redux: Brit's Big Year

By Liz Kelly

As we discussed/debated Monday, Britney Spears is in the midst of a renaissance. What began as baby steps in the form of a couple cameo spots on "How I Met Your Mother" last spring looks to be shaping up into a full on bid for a return to her pop preeminence.

Said commenter sjcpeach:

Even last year when we thought all was lost for Britney the person -- Britney the popstar managed to do pretty well with her album. I don't think she's out for the count yet.

And neither does Spears or, it seems, her record company since Spears is reportedly back in the studio working on her next album. But lest we forget what a rollercoaster ride of a year it's been for Celebritology's 2007 Biggest Train Wreck, today we take a pictorial look back at Brit's big year...

Britney and Russell Brand mug at a MTV Video Music Awards promo shoot. (AP) | Launch the Gallery

Haters take note: There will be a quiz.

By Liz Kelly  | August 14, 2008; 11:07 AM ET
Categories:  Britney Spears
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Jennifer Aniston and John Mayer Reportedly Split
Next: Morning Mix: Ellen and Portia to Marry This Weekend?

Comments

Britney should just focus on acting. I saw her on Will & Grace and thought she was pretty good. Lord knows, we don't need more medicore pop music.

Posted by: just my $.02 | August 14, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Listen, I'm not much of a Britney Spears fan - I'm simply a bit too old and too much of an early-WHFS listener and former-MTV watcher (you know, from the years when it actually showed *videos*) to have terribly strong feelings about her one way or the other, talent wise.

That being said, I'm very glad she seems to be on the rebound. I thought it was just horrible that this young woman was obviously having a meltdown, and all anyone could do was take pictures of it.

That her father - who, yes, may benefit from her financially, but also seems to be taking is custodian role seriously - has stepped in and evened her out? Thank god someone has.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | August 14, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I'd do Britney if she had a certified copy of a health certificate that was less than 30 days old.

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 14, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

On a totally unrelated note, can someone make those evil profiteers at the post stop with the pregallery commercials. I totally get caught not working when I scrable to mute the volume!!! This isn't supposed to be about the money, its about the celebrity!!!

Owe the humanity.

Posted by: LTL | August 14, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Not a Brit fan but thanks to the great pasta that she seems to be pulling herself together.

Although the Mel Gibson connection makes me think sinister things could occur in the future. That and I would have loved it if she were to stay out of the public eye a bit longer but that money wheel keeps on turning.

Posted by: petal | August 14, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

That's Britney? Whoa, I thought it was Fergie. And that guy's wearing a lot of makeup. Pink eyeshadow ... ?

Posted by: Californian | August 14, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 14, 2008 11:54 AM

****

Posted by: byoolin sez, "Missed it by -that- much." | August 14, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Eh.

Posted by: LLL | August 14, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody do the "pull my finger" joke, yet?

Posted by: ripariandweller | August 14, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I second Chasmo's comments, and would add that I hope Britney's sons have a safe and happy upbringing.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | August 14, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"Sas, if it were six months ago, I am sure she'd have said the same about you. :-)"

Byool, if it had been 6 months ago, I think the conversation would have been closer to that in Mudge's screenplay (BBT and Angelia)in the Morning Mix

Posted by: Sasquatch | August 14, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

as a person who until about 10 years ago suffered from lifelong depression, anxiety and the ill effects of self-medication, i'm happy for brit. i just hope she realizes there's no cure -- it really is a day to day thing.

now that i got that off my chest:

the girl needs some lessons before she gets another acting gig!

Posted by: anonymous to avoid the inevitable external snark | August 14, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but that doesn't not look like Britney in the first picture. Maaaybe, her sis, but definitely NOT Britney.

Posted by: Irish Fox | August 14, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

***

I'm sure Brit wasn't bothering to collect health certs from anyone 6 months ago.

BTW, I love the hilarious Russell Brand, but I wish he'd give Amy Winehouse her hair back.

Posted by: alex | August 14, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

RE:

Posted by: alex | August 14, 2008 1:56 PM
==========================================

Don't worry, alex, Amy won't even notice it's gone.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 14, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

It just goes to show how easy a "comeback" is. All you have to do is stay home and shut up unless you have been fully prepped by your hair, makeup, clothes, and agent for an appearance. A few months in the gym and a few smiling, pretty appearances and everything's back to normal. The truth is, she's still crazy. It's just that somebody (thanks, Dad!) got enough control over her to stop her from being crazy in public. Is being a celebrity really that hard?

Posted by: Skeptical | August 14, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Is being a celebrity really that hard?

Posted by: Skeptical | August 14, 2008 3:06 PM

Apparently it is since noone has been able to keep wee Tom from being crazy in public.

Posted by: jes | August 14, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

The difference is that Britney may finally be getting the meds she needs, while Scientology makes sure that TC never will.

Posted by: At least Britney probably doesn't think she's a Thetan | August 14, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm also not a huge Britney fan--can't stand pop music and I'm the wrong demographic anyway. But I thought her performance in "HIMYM" was pretty good, given all the chaos she'd been going through. I hope she pulls it together.

Posted by: Sappho | August 14, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Irish Fox. The first picture doesn't look like her at all. When I saw it before reading anything I had no idea who it was. Barbi Benton came to mind though....

Posted by: expatasia | August 14, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

obscure video [nk]

Posted by: obscure video | August 19, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

domrac

Posted by: rollilid | August 19, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

diode diode [link=http://motocavado.k]

Posted by: diode | August 19, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

such great heights music video such great heights music video [link=http://anb21.com/board7/member/msg/files/noqasko.htm]sucy[@#~#@]Dollar

Posted by: such great heights music video | August 20, 2008 6:10 AM | Report abuse