Posted at 10:32 AM ET, 08/22/2008

Terrence Howard, Music Man

By Liz Kelly

Terrence Howard has added his voice to the growing chorus of musically delusional ambitious actors. Unlike his rapping "Hustle & Flow" character DJay -- who instructed us to "Whoop that Trick" and explained (in Oscar-winning terms) that it is "Hard Out Here for a Pimp" -- Howard's first single is all harmonious guitar and wistful lyrics. Lyrics that are, sadly, not about the superior cleaning ability of baby wipes. And the accompanying video matches the "urban country" (his term) feel with its soft focus and creamy palette. Have a look:

Where does Howard's performance fall on the actor-cum-musician continuum?

(Just in case you need a little help completing the poll, feel free to re-familiarize yourself with Shatner's "Rocket Man" cover; Murphy's "Party All the Time"; Johnson's "Heartbeat"; Swayze's "She's Like the Wind"; David Hasselhoff's "Jump in My Car" and Johansson's "Falling Down.")

By Liz Kelly  | August 22, 2008; 10:32 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Insta-Polls  | Tags:  Shatner Swayze Hasselhoff Johnansson poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Gwen Stefani Gives Birth to Son Zuma Nesta Rock
Next: Morning Mix: Cher to Play Catwoman in Next 'Batman'?

Comments

I liked Shatner's "Rocket Man".

It's SO from the gut.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Stewie Griffin doing Shatner's Rocket Man. Now, that's some good celinedion!

Posted by: M Street | August 22, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Just because you can keep adding tracks with your free GarageBand software doesn't mean you should, Terence.

Edit.

I need to go wash my ears out.

Posted by: In times like these, Sully is extra greatful for Pandora | August 22, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

In 2nd grade I had the 45 for Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time" and I LOVED IT! Of course, I was 7 but still, great song. I still enjoy listening to it if I hear it randomly out or, ahem, on my iPod.

Posted by: Melinda | August 22, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Terrance......Oh No You Didn't!!!!

Posted by: snoootty | August 22, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, I can't view video at work, so I hope the Shatner clip is the one from the awards ceremony where Bernie Taupin introduces him and Shatner's sitting on the edge of the stage holding a cigarette in his hand. Curtain up:

"She packed my bags last night -- PRE-FLIGHT!"

This post also reminds me of Brooke Shields' hilarious "Playground Tales" video -- www.funnyordie.com/videos/2326 -- when she says:

BROOKE: "It's so hard out there for a pimp."
OTHER MOM: "What does your husband do?"
BROOKE: "He's an accountant."

Posted by: td says check yourself before you wreck yourself | August 22, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe David Soul's "Don't Give Up On Us Baby," isn't on that list to choose from...

Posted by: methinks | August 22, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh No! I had repressed the memory of "Party All the Time" into the nether reaches of my brain. Now it has all come back in a cold rush of reality. Where can I get one of those brain erasers from "Men in Black"?

On the other hand, I have heard Terrence Howard play the guitar before and he is pretty good. I think he should just stick to instrumentals rather than adding lyrics.

Posted by: Pebbles | August 22, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Terrence Howard is the Young Jeezy of the Urban Country world.

"Where are we going, boys?"

"To the toppermost, Johnny!"

"To the toppermost of where, boys?"

"To the toppermost of the poppermost!"

Posted by: byoolin should know; he's the celinedion of the Urban Country world. | August 22, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Methinks, I'm going to track you down for that. Now an endless loop of David Soul is rotting my late-Friday brain.

"I really lost my head last night
You got a right
To start believing
There's still a little love left
Even so."

My sister had the 45 of that song. Sad thing is I knew those lyrics without having to look them up.

Posted by: td also wants black bean soup and methinks to make it with me | August 22, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Can't be any worse than "Return of Bruno."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | August 22, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

But you know, the thing about Shatner is you feel like he's in on the joke. Look at this priceline ad

Although my favorite is him doing Mr. Tambourine man. I haven't been able to find a real version on youtube that has him "singing" 'Hey... Mr Tambourine... MAAAANNNNNNNN!'

Posted by: fcmom | August 22, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Aw, td, mea culpa. You'll get rid of it...just don't give up on it, baby.

And I'd love to make some black bean soup for/with you. Chopped red onion and sour cream on top?

Posted by: methinks | August 22, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

How could you not include Leonard Nemoy's legendary hit "Bilbo Baggins?"

Posted by: Spock's recording venture was most illogical | August 22, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Rhino Records has a great collection of Celebrity sonic blunders called "Golden Throats." (Vols. 1-4, the truly masochistic, like me, have all four, but really #1 is the best/worst.)

Vol. 1 has all the Shatner travesties, and you haven't lived until you've heard Leonard Nimoy sing "If I Had a Hammer." I also have a special fondness for Sebastian Cabot (the butler, Buffy, Jodie, what's the name of that old TV show?) who does a poetic reading of Dylan songs.

It's like audible prozac. It's impossible to be depressed when you hear this music.

So ... is Terrance a Golden Throat or is he a cut above?

Posted by: NW DC | August 22, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid I know the answer to your Sebastian Cabot question. The show was "Family Affair" starring Brian Keith, or as we liked to call him Brain Keith.

Posted by: methinks | August 22, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

And when I first read "Golden Throats" I read "Golden Threats" and thought, "you got that right!"

My mental iPod is now playing the "Family Affair" theme to a visual of Mrs. Beasley falling off the apartment balcony. Sigh. Mr. French does Dylan, though? Excellent!

Posted by: td would love some soup thanks methinks | August 22, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

loved the the preschool cover of Eddie Murphy's single "She likes to potty all the time"

Posted by: hodie | August 22, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Y'all terrible!

Posted by: Cindy | August 22, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Is this a joke?!

Why, Terrance, why?

Posted by: clw | August 23, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I love the "ha, ha, ha, ha" provided by the background singers; it's as if Terrance couldn't decide between Enya or "urban country."

What a hot mess!

Posted by: clw | August 23, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

this is so old news. terence has had musical inclinations since he was a child and has had numerous interviews where he has showcased his tallent. his career could have went either way.

i think his playing and voice is great!

Posted by: nall92 | August 25, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Terrence is at the Birchmere tonight- go check him out! I like this first song and can't wait to hear more. I think it's pretty good for his first time out.
It's a shame how most of the "urban" (black) music stations always talk about supporting the black commumity and our actors/actresses are actually bashing his song. I guess they can't appreciate music unless 75% of the lyrics are bleeped out or if the video is sans strippers, alcohol and hustlers talking about "the streets". Sorry but everybody doesn't live int hat world and the rappers don't live there but they sure do make "A Millli" off ignorance. Maybe that's why I don't listen to those stations to often...not too much grown-folk music being played and although I'm black- I can't relate....THIS music speaks to me without a censor.

Posted by: NoElleNo | August 25, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse