Posted at 10:31 AM ET, 09/17/2008

2008 Lizzies Fan Art Competition

By Liz Kelly
2008 Lizzies

I know, it's true. The past couple of years the annual Celebritology Honors (aka The Lizzies) have been completely dominated by celebrities. This year, though, I hope to correct the error of my celeb-obsessed ways and to shift just a little of that spotlight in a new direction. Your direction, in fact. Don't worry -- you needn't run out and get a pricey stylist, hair extensions, Botox or a red carpet-ready outfit. Instead, sharpen your pencils, mix your oils, rasterize your screen, get collage-y and channel your dormant creativity for the first ever Celebritology Honors Fan Art Competition.

Surely I don't have to tell you who this is or what those squiggly lines coming out of his ears represent. (Liz Kelly for washingtonpost.com) | Submit Your Fan Art Now

Now, before the malaise sets in (you know, the voice in your head saying, "This sounds like work when all I want to do is snark on goofy celebs."), consider that even a low-effort stick figure could conceivably win this competition. It's all in the attitude. The investment in time is up to you. All I ask is that you think back to a time before you plopped down in front of a keyboard each day, to that time before you had to tase yourself to stay awake after lunch or noticeably aged while filing TPS reports.

Remember the creative spark -- the dry macaroni noodle mosaics, the glitter glue, the Crayola box -- and allow it to resurface now to create your own piece of original fan art. This is your chance to pay homage to a celebrity you adore, skewer one you despise or poke fun at Celebritology's surreal subject matter. Submissions can take many forms:

Portraits

Caricatures

Cartoons

Sculptures

Collages

Digital illustrations

Submit your pieces online here (just follow the easy directions) and a panel of in-house judges will determine the top 10 pieces. In two weeks when the 2008 Celebritology Honors kick off, you will get the chance to vote for your favorites.

And, yes, there is a prize.*

---

* I use the term loosely. The "prize" is meager, to say the least, yet utterly fitting.

---

Oh, and yes, there is a deadline: Please submit your entries no later than next Thursday, Sept. 25.

By Liz Kelly  | September 17, 2008; 10:31 AM ET
Categories:  Awards Season
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Amy Poehler Leaving 'SNL'
Next: Morning Mix: Ryan O'Neal, Son Arrested for Suspected Meth Possession

Comments

You say "low concept stick figure", I say "Paris Hilton".

Posted by: Dorkus | September 17, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

LIZ KELLY: Submissions may not, however violate copyright law (so, sorry, no photo-manipulations), be obscene, libelous or otherwise objectionable as defined by me, Liz, keeper of the taste line.

BYOOLIN: [throws out his life-sized photoshopped poster of Lindsay Lohan, luvlinsey, Britney Spears, Speidi (a.k.a. Heincer), Celine Dion, R. Kelly, TomKat, Brangelina, the Olsen twins, Estelle Getty, Amy Winehouse and Sasquatch performing The Celebritology Players' version of the joke, "The Aristocrats."] Rats.

Posted by: and it's a shame, because byoolin had ALL the bases covered. | September 17, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Is the prize a Dwight Schrute Bobblehead? If so, I'm totally in!

Posted by: Em | September 17, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Liz, once the software is working again, PLEASE REMOVE SPAM AT 11:12 AM (and any others that crop up).

Posted by: annoyed lizard | September 17, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Is the guy in the sketch D.B. Cooper?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Liz.

You DO have to tell me who that is and what those squiggly lines coming out of his ears represent.

At first I thought it might be nust some area man with an idea for Fan Art (F-art) coming out of his ear, but now I don't think so.

Posted by: Curmudgeon is not good at interpreting true art | September 17, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I think it's Tom Cruise and Thetans are coming out of his ears.

Posted by: ep | September 17, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. I hate all the spam. It's what is keeping me away these days.

On a lighter note, I am seeing great possibilities for this project involving black cat hair and the dust bunnies crowding the stairs at home....

Posted by: B'More Cat Lover but Spam Hater | September 17, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

ep, I hope my head is nice and cozy because you're in it. You took my guess about what the sketch was. :)

Posted by: Em | September 17, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, ep. It is indeed Tom Cruise. I never said I was an artist -- which is why I'm turning to you guys in the hopes of getting some WAY better submissions than what I can do myself.

And if you see spam getting out of control, please e-mail me at liz.kelly@washingtonpost.com. I'm cracking down as of now.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | September 17, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

By the way Liz, is there a deadline for submissions?

Posted by: Dorkus | September 17, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I just read Liz's chat and boy am I surprised. I was 100% sure this was a drawing of Alec Baldwin. It looks exactly like Alec from 10 to 15 years ago. The smoke coming out of his ears I though represented Alec after his phone call to his daughter.
It looks nothing like Tom Cruise Liz. Sorry

Posted by: DW | September 18, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

No kidding about tgreenberg on the Celebritology Fan Arts Competition. Elias, on the other had, time to give up on any art career.

Posted by: elaine | September 19, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Gee, Elaine, can you put that in a more gentle way? (sniff, sniff!)

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 19, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Opps, sorry Liz Kelly, I thought it was John Travolta and wasn't sure at all what was coming out of his ears.

Posted by: BeachGirl | September 19, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse