Posted at 12:30 PM ET, 09/ 5/2008

Friday List: Celebrity Odd Couples

By Liz Kelly
Friday List

Perhaps it's because imagining the two of them together is akin to trying to choke down a sardine-Fluffernutter sandwich, but my jaw dropped an entire inch yesterday when I read the (undoubtedly false) rumor that Michael Jackson and Pam Anderson have been dating on the sly. What is it that forces one to recoil away from the thought of this pairing? Is it because he's been so irrevocably deformed by surgery -- or because she has? Or perhaps because Jacko is nothing like Tommy Lee and Pam just doesn't quite seem to be Michael's type? Or is it pondering how Pam's two young sons would factor into a combined Jackson-Anderson household that really makes the stomach lurch?

True or not, there may not be a more mismatched or unlikely couple in the entire kingdom of celebrity -- and, trust me, there are some serious contenders for that title. F'rinstance, today's whispers that Mary-Kate Olsen, she of the fairy like prune-mouth and boho get-ups, went on a date with "Superbad" schlump Jonah Hill.

A quick survey of my friends netted such a robust list of Hollywood odd couples (David Cross and Amber Tamblin? Eminem and Kim Basinger?) -- actual and rumored -- that the only thing to do was bring these diabolical pairs to life in a special photo gallery:

Take a peek at the gallery, then tell me -- who did we miss -- share your nominees for unlikeliest celebrity couple below. Real, rumored, fleeting or years-long, all flavors are welcome...

Tanya Ballard Brown, Amy Bryant, Jen Chaney, Rocci Fisch, Maura McCarthy, Christian Pelusi, Frank Thomason, Lisa Todorovich and Paul Williams contributed to this piece. Photo illustration by Liz Kelly. Pix: Getty Images, Reuters.

By Liz Kelly  | September 5, 2008; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Friday Lists
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Lindsay Lohan Reportedly Turns Down Playboy Offer
Next: Morning Mix: Spears Dominates VMAs; O.J. Trial Set to Begin

Comments

jake gyllenhall (geigh) and reese witherspoon.

SJParker and M. Broderick (geigh)

John Travolta (geigh) and K. Preston

Posted by: odd couples | September 5, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Elsa Lanchester and Charles Laughton (geigh)

Posted by: odd couples | September 5, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

If MJ and PA are hanging out together, it's probably more because MJ is getting ideas for his next surgical procedure. Maybe he thinks no one will notice when he shows up with DD cups.

Posted by: epony | September 5, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Linda Evans and Yanni

Posted by: Stuck@Work | September 5, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson and Brooke Shields
Michael Jackson and Debbie Rowe
Michael Jackson and the kid from Webster

Posted by: jes | September 5, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Chaplin and 18-year-old Oona O'Neill

Posted by: old timer | September 5, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he thinks no one will notice when he shows up with DD cups.

Posted by: epony | September 5, 2008 12:56 PM

****

At least they'll stop looking at his nose.

Posted by: byoolin | September 5, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Doing some research on this subject, I came across this:

Hilary Duff & Joel Madden: Even beyond the age difference, these two always seemed like polar opposites — he a pierced, tattooed rocker, she a perky pop star. After their relationship crumbled, Joel wasted no time moving on to a woman more his speed: Nicole Richie, whom Hilary reportedly calls a “skank.”

Its from 2006 before Celebritology time. Talk about an odd couple

Posted by: Huh? | September 5, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Tanya Tucker and Glen Campbell
Merle Haggard and the ex Mrs. Buck Owens

Posted by: heeeeeeeee-haw! | September 5, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Bo Derek with a much younger celebrity? John Corbett comes to mind, Chris in the Morning from Northern Exposure? ... Well now, I had to google them to be sure and she's 52 and he's about my age (46) and somehow I thought I was much younger. Five years hardly makes her a cougar. I guess they just seem like they'd run in different circles. But then I thought Brad Pitt and Jennifer were on odd mix at first. He did Big Movies and she was so Friends. What do I know?

Oh, and Julia Roberts married Lyle Lovett. That seemed rather odd-couple at the time. I heart Lyle.

Posted by: pollywog | September 5, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Joe Pesci and Angie Everhart

Posted by: TG | September 5, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

How about Emma Watson and Johnny Borrell?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I think we can agree that Micheal Jackson and ANY female star are an odd couple.

Posted by: sjcpeach | September 5, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sjcpeach | September 5, 2008 1:14 PM

The thing is, I just can't picture Michael with anyone at all. He's completely asexual and possibly built like a Ken doll.

Posted by: jes | September 5, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

In terms of looks, Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett (although I think he's adorable)

Posted by: Sappho | September 5, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jes | September 5, 2008 1:17 PM

Or at least we all hope he's built like a Ken doll, given his errr, fascination with children.

Posted by: epony | September 5, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Woody Allen and Diane Keaton

Posted by: Nosy Parker offers up a two-fer for Queen Liz | September 5, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

David Spade and any female with good eyesight and good hearing.

Matthew McConaughey and any female with a decent sense of smell.

Amy Winehouse and anything that doesn't come in a bottle or a syringe.

Posted by: Sasquatch | September 5, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Any human -- male or female -- and Carrot Top.

Posted by: Sasquatch | September 5, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Hayden Panettiere and Milo Ventimiglia always freakes me out a little.

And along the same lines as MJ and anyone else, Anne Heche and anyone else is always interesting.

Posted by: MGC | September 5, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Matthew McConaughey and any female with a decent sense of smell. - Posted by: Sasquatch | September 5, 2008 1:31 PM

***

This reminds me that I saw a photo today of Mickey Rourke and Evan Rachel Wood posing for pix in Vienna to plug his film, "The Wrestler."

Posted by: byoolin imagines the famously odorific Mickey *after* a wrestling match. Oy. | September 5, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin reminded me:

Marilyn Manson and Evan Rachel Wood.

Posted by: MGC | September 5, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Stacy London and Clinton Kelly of What Not to Wear.

Posted by: Sasquatch says, "Shut uuuppp!" | September 5, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Judging and bragging is what the OP is all about. Pay attention!

Posted by: LOL | September 5, 2008 1:11 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I never could believe Mia Farrow was married to Frank Sinatra. Seems very wrong.

Posted by: possum | September 5, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't access the gallery so apologies if this is a repeat:

Cher and Tom Cruise are supposed to have dated back in the day (v. weird IMHO)

Posted by: spartan | September 5, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Any couple where one partner guested on the other's TV show while they were together, but they've since split. For example:

While channel-surfing this week, I came across Denise Richards on an episode of "2 1/2 Men."

It's now also painful to see Brad Pitt's otherwise charming performance on "Friends" as a high school nemesis of Rachel's.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | September 5, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Larry King and Shawn Southwick

Marilyn Manson and Dita Von Teese (although I do know someone who dated him that had glowing things to say about his... attributes)

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 5, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Michael Douglas (kinda distinguished in a Martin Sheenish way, but still, old) and Catherine Zeta-Jones (hott.)

Posted by: Red Dragon | September 5, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

David Spade and Heather Locklear and Ryan Seacrest and the actress from Desparate Housewives (I'm blanking on the name) seemed like odd pairings.

Posted by: spartan | September 5, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

anna nicole and that old dude

Posted by: picturethis | September 5, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

which one of you posted on the OP blog as
"Full of baloney" at 1:24 PM ????

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Didn't anyone ever warn Mary-Kate about that cautionary tale about the time Fatty and Skinny went to bed?

Posted by: ripariandweller | September 5, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

That would be Teri Hatcher.

Posted by: spartan should hang his or her head in smame | September 5, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

skirting that delicate intersection of celebrity and politics...

Bernard Kerrick and Judith Regan

Sarah Jessica Parker and John Kennedy Jr.

Liz Taylor and John Warner

Posted by: Groovis | September 5, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Madonna and Warren Beatty

Sonny & Cher

Cher and Tom Cruise

Cher and Richie Sambora

Posted by: Stuck@Work | September 5, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Dude I totally just got sidetracked wondering what Mickey Rourke looks like - who doesn't have blushing memories of watching 9 1/2 weeks curiously with your SO...

man either I have a bad memory or he has NOT aged well...

Posted by: LTL sadly realizes she can never go back | September 5, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett
Drew Barrymore and Tom Green (gag me)
Paris Hilton and anyone not wishing to contract veneral disease.

Posted by: hodie | September 5, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

And I thought the gallery alone was good. May I add, from the olden days:

* Vincente Minnelli and Judy Garland (speaking of Liza and David -- is it any wonder she married a man kinda like Dad?)

* Ernest Borgnine and Ethel Merman (you gotta love the idea of Ethel singing "there's no business like show business" to McHale in bed)

* George C. Scott and Colleen Dewhurst (Campbell Scott is their son; he seems so happy compared to such dour parents)

* Cary Grant and Randolph Scott (I know, it's just a rumor, but those poolside photos of the two of them, I mean, c'mon)

Posted by: td | September 5, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Hunter and Rod Stewart

Posted by: JL | September 5, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

How come Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley are in that gallery but Lisa Marie and Nicolas Cage aren't? I think the latter is almost more bizarre, considering that some saw the union as his winning the ultimate prize considering he's such a devoted (obsessed?) Elvis fan/memorabilia collector.

Posted by: td | September 5, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

ok here's one: French President Sarkozy and Carla Bruni

Posted by: hodie | September 5, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"Cher and Tom Cruise are supposed to have dated back in the day (v. weird IMHO)

Posted by: spartan | September 5, 2008 1:43 PM "

Not so weird if you acknowledge that a lot of geigh men like Cher....

Posted by: Red Dragon | September 5, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

To stating the obvious,

Brangelina make a perfect couple. Too very good looking, nice, rich, and charitable people.
And I can very much imagine them together. In fact I am imagining it right now! (only I'm Brad.)

Posted by: anon | September 5, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

well no one stated the most obvious so I guess I will....Jack Klugman and Tony Randall.

Posted by: hodie | September 5, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

At the risk of attracting a lot of political wonks (more hits, Liz):

Sarah Palin and John McCain.

Posted by: Red Dragon | September 5, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Christie Brinkley & Billy Joel
Robin Wright & Sean Penn

Posted by: beauty & the beast | September 5, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

ARod and Madonna

Posted by: dw | September 5, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of politics, Dennis & Elizabeth Kucinich.

Posted by: OriginalBluto | September 5, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Marty Stuart and Connie Smith. Sort of the country reverse of M. Douglas and C. Zeta-Jones.

Posted by: Red Dragon | September 5, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

John Lennon and Yoko Ono
Paul McCartney and Heather Mills
Billy Joel and the young chick he's with now.
Jessica and Roger Rabbit

Posted by: hodie | September 5, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"ok here's one: French President Sarkozy and Carla Bruni

Posted by: hodie | September 5, 2008 3:07 PM"

Sarkozy and Bruni are the 21st century Jack Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe. Or to go back further, Ludwig II and Lola Montez

Posted by: Red Dragon | September 5, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

james franco (geigh) and his "girlfriend"

vin diesel (geigh) and his "girlfriend"

the rock (geigh) and his "girlfriend"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

SJP and Robert Downey jr.

Posted by: Ame | September 5, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I think these posters that think all of these guys are geigh are actually geigh themselves and just have wishful thinking.
Travolta, Broderick, Cruise, etc., all NOT geigh.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Stacy London and Clinton Kelly of What Not to Wear.

Posted by: Sasquatch says, "Shut uuuppp!" | September 5, 2008 1:41 PM

Stacy and Clinton are a couple??? I thought Clinton was geigh!

Posted by: hodie knows better than to wear tapered "mom" jeans | September 5, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh and anyone who thinks Vin Diesel or The Rock are gay is flat out stupid.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Travolta & Cruise are closeted by Scientology, but West Hollywood knows their truth.

Posted by: WeHo | September 5, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Stacy London and Clinton Kelly are a perfect (working) couple. Stacy London and her original co-host on the other hand...

Posted by: jes | September 5, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Ric Ocasek and Paulina Porizkova
Richard Gere and Cindy Crawford
Eddie Murphy and Melanie Brown
John McEnroe and Tatum O'Neal
Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving

Posted by: td | September 5, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

people, seriously, check out the last couple of comments on the OP blog. i dont think it can get any worse.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

www.myconfinedspace.com/2008/08/11/vin-diesel-likes-lovecraft

Posted by: for the vin diesel fan in denial | September 5, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

So Stacy and Clinton are a couple??? I think thats great if they are, they're perfect for each other, that is if Clinton's not geigh. By the way, theirs is another show for people who love snark. They will give it to people right to their face, but at the same time they are sensitive to the "nancy" types.

Posted by: hodie | September 5, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | September 5, 2008 3:46 PM

did you have to go and reference Nancy? Now we're gonna get a million posts from her saying she's hurt and in tears, etc.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Iman and David Bowie. Love them both, but I would never picture them together.

Posted by: FL | September 5, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I know someone who did WNTW and Stacy and Clinton are NOT a romantic couple. They're both super nice, however!

As for Wayne, Stacy's original partner, the way he dressed was atrocious!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 5, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree MoCo. Wayne nearly lost the show its credibility. Could he have been a relative of Sasquatch?

Posted by: hodie | September 5, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

As for Wayne, Stacy's original partner, the way he dressed was atrocious!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 5, 2008 4:05 PM

cool! tell us about your friend! did she like it? whats it like being on the show?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

And if you believe a word on myconfinedspace.com you are not only very stupid, you are very gullible as well.

Or should I say, my gosh, if myconfinedspace.com says it, it must be true? lol

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | September 5, 2008 3:46 PM

I also know someone who was on the show. Clinton is very geigh and very nice.

Posted by: jes | September 5, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Ellen and Portia? I'm all for "geigh" marriage, but maybe it's that they look like relatives.

Posted by: bflogal | September 5, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

How about Mudge Curmudgeon and Sir Sean Connery . . .

Posted by: Curmudgwon | September 5, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

(Curmudgwon????)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 5, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Geez, someone share the WNTW experiences! or what their friends thought! did they keep it up?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Donald Trump and any woman. I don't care how much money he has that's just not right.

Pauly Shore and any woman.

Posted by: petal with her late entries | September 5, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

George Clooney and anyone but me!

Posted by: luvgeorge | September 5, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I was watching "Heat" the other night and I thought that Robert DeNiro's character and the actress from Judging Amy was a horrible casting couple.

Posted by: tick tock tick tock | September 5, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet Pamela Anderson is tired of guys drooling down her shirt and would like to be treated as a human. That's why women love gay men: they know they're liked for themselves (or, god forbid, their kid brothers).

Posted by: Lucio | September 5, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I love Jonah Hill, and the absolutely most eligible bachelor is Seth Rogan.

Posted by: Lucia | September 5, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

It's super late and I can't believe nobody's said Heidi Klum and Seal, or Jay-Z and Beyonce.

Posted by: Ra the Funktress | September 5, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I was in Seattle this past weekend and went to the Bumbershoot festival. Standing next to us in the beer garden were the odd couple David Cross and Amber Tamblyn. At a few different times I looked over to see them making out. Very strange, especially since he is about twice her age and awesome, whereas she just needs to go away.

Posted by: Looly | September 5, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse