Posted at 7:50 AM ET, 09/16/2008

Morning Mix: Brangelina Named Hollywood's Most Powerful Couple

By Liz Kelly
Tuesday

Headlines: Brangelina named Hollwood's most powerful couple... Tina Fey's Sarah Palin impression was "dismissive," says McCain surrogate Carly Fiorina... Val Kilmer for New Mexico governor?... Christina Applegate returns to work... Prince William training as search and rescue pilot... Lindsay Lohan punches persistent paparazzo... Elle Macpherson gives her son a ride on bike handlebars... Shia LaBeouf calls July car crash "terrifying"... Liv Tyler says she feels "neurotic" following split from Royston Langdon... Megan Fox details her crush on a Vegas stripper... "Mad Men's" John Hamm recounts his Regis Philbin experience... Sylvester Stallone planning "Rambo 5"... Pink Floyd founder Richard Wright dead at 65.

Rumor Mill: Jennifer Lopez pulls out of "Project Runway" finale because of lost movie role... Miley Cyrus dating beefy 20-year-old model?... Leonardo DiCaprio single again?... Benicio del Toro and Steven Soderbergh party with Toronto strippers, says Page Six.

Say What?
"If we're trying to put together the DNA of a dinosaur dead for a 160 million years, why can't scientists take a molecule that's floating around and bring back Kirk?" -- William Shatner, still bitter about being left out of the "Star Trek" reboot.

---

Chat: Comedian Chelsea Handler, host of the E! late night talk show "Chelsea Lately" discusses her best-selling book "Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea" at 2 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | September 16, 2008; 7:50 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reading List: Lynne Spears's Parental Advisory
Next: A Funny Thing Happened to Ricky Gervais

Comments

I AM APAWLED that ANGIE is voted most powerful woman....NEVER! JEN WON LAST YEAR and Won again this year...its all a plot becaose of angies babies and her BOUbIes!! AS if!! Does ANGIE HAVE A PET? HER OWN WATER? WELLIES? NO!!! ONLY THE FABULUS JEN!!!! fEATERED IN PERKY PET CATILOG.
HUGS TO JEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: luvjen | September 16, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Tina Fey's Sarah Palin impression was "dismissive"

Well, duhhh!

Prince William training as search and rescue pilot

Think of all the extra pilots who will have to be trained, then put their own lives at risk, in order to protect him from his vanity project. Owe the humanity. Better to stick with charity work, Wills.

Christina Applegate returns to work...

Best wishes to ya, girl! Love your show, and look forward to seeing new episodes.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | September 16, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Carly.

Sarah is just too easy to dismiss.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 16, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Carly.

Sarah is just too easy to dismiss.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 16, 2008 8:50 AM

i thought you were "outta here"???? i guess it was too good to be true.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

The thing is, scientists COULD take a molecule that's floating around and bring back Kirk.

They just don't wanna.

Posted by: Curmudgeon has to go to work now | September 16, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Anonymous, dear, you've convinced me.

See ya.

Posted by: Curmudgeon gets cranky(er) | September 16, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

How Chris Cooley's Privates Hit the Internet
And how the Internet hit back! See also: the official Deadspin explanation.

So anyhow, maybe you saw how a photo of Chris Cooley's most personal parts became available for mass Internet consumption yesterday. If you're like Chris Cooley's brother Tanner--the editor of Cooley's blog, on which this photo first appeared--here's what you might have wondered:

"Dude, why did you take a naked picture of yourself and put it on the blog?"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

That's great Carly, SNL was afraid the McCain camp would miss the point.

Posted by: jes | September 16, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Is dismissive the same as "spot on"?

Posted by: bingo | September 16, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

the Cooley thing is HILARIOUS. here's a link to the WaPo sports blog which talks about it:

Posted by: cooley | September 16, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Liz, I can't believe you missed this.

Look at your own risk.

Posted by: Catwoman | September 16, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

How Chris Cooley's Privates Hit the Internet
And how the Internet hit back! See also: the official Deadspin explanation.

"Dude, why did you take a naked picture of yourself and put it on the blog?"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 9:03 AM

Here's a bigger question, WHY THE F@(K WAS CHRIS COOLEY BLOGGING NAKED?????

Posted by: Brutal needs to open the bar! | September 16, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Apparently the McCain camp is rather unfamiliar with how SNL works.

Mizz Fox seems to be a bit light on the processing power upstaris.

Posted by: EricS | September 16, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Nice bit of stunt riding by Elle Macpherson and son. Although, naming him "Aurelius" and putting him in a jacket like that -- he's going to have to learn to fight young (if he hasn't already).

Posted by: 44west | September 16, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Farewell, Richard Wright. That crazy diamond shines a little less brightly.

A big shout-out to Christina Applegate.

Poor Sarah, being mistreated on SNL.

Posted by: m.a.t. | September 16, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 44west | September 16, 2008 9:49 AM

At least he's wearing a helmet, though I wonder where mom's is? Pet peeve of mine -- parents w/o helmets while their kids have them on.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | September 16, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Sod off, Nosy. One doesn't train for SAR out of vanity, and flying military helicopters isn't like going for a Sunday hop from the air park. Give credit where credit is due.

Posted by: 23112 | September 16, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

44west, I'm with you on the kid's name, but the jacket looks to be part of a school uniform.

Posted by: bingo | September 16, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

By the way...hey Shatner, the reason you're not included in the reboot is because you're not in your twenties and attractive.

Posted by: 23112 | September 16, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon -- could you pop me an e-mail at liz.kelly@washingtonpost.com? I wanted to see if I could enlist your help with a little project. Thanks!

Posted by: Liz Kelly | September 16, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

From the Liv Tyler article:

"For the first time in my life, it's so much harder for me to get up and brush my knees."

Please tell me that a major typo?

Posted by: Say Again | September 16, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

From the Liv Tyler article:

Please tell me that this is a major typo.

Posted by: Say Again | September 16, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I just love the shoes Elle is wearing. They look perfect for an everyday ride...

At least the boy has a helmet. I regularly see a grandfather and his 4-year-old grandson in my neighborhood crossing a busy street on a bike (but the child is in a seat, not the handlebars). Neither is wearing a helmet. Makes me furious the grandfather is taking such a risk with the child (I don't care about grandpa, he should have figured it out by now). He is either ignorant or stupid. Oh wait...

Posted by: glebe | September 16, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Here's a bigger question, WHY THE F@(K WAS CHRIS COOLEY BLOGGING NAKED?????

Posted by: Brutal needs to open the bar! | September 16, 2008 9:48 AM

Doesnt look like Cooley has much to be proud of, if you know what i mean!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

If you stalk a member of the same sex as yourself, your a lesbian. If you are obsessed with a member of your own sex, your a lesbian. If you frequent strip clubs to see members of your own sex, your a lesbian. If you are in love with a member of your same sex, your a lesbian.
I personally have never been attracted to a member of my own sex. But then again I am not geigh.

Posted by: anon | September 16, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WDC 21113 | September 16, 2008 9:57 AM

Darwinism takes its course.

Posted by: Huh? | September 16, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Liz, I'm starting to notice an agenda about Palin here. You could just have easily included the comment that Governor Palin herself found the impersonation funny. But, no, you had to use the negative one. If you have to go all US Weekly here, maybe you shouldn't report on the Hollywood comments about the candidates at all.

HRH Prince William is just learning to fly a search and rescue project as little more than a vanity project. He is spending time with each of the armed forces -- not to really defend dear Old England -- but so he can be a better symbolic head of the armed forced. Next year, they turn him loose on the Whitehall.

Posted by: ep | September 16, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Are Brangelina are so powerful that they can build a rock that even they can't lift? I thought not.

You wanna know what's "dismissive," Carly Fiorina? The way the HP board fired your ass for spying on them while the stock tanked. *That* is dismissive.

While the double alliteration of "Lindsay Lohan punches persistent paparazzo" is nice, I'd have gone for"LiLo lands left on loath-to-leave lensman."

I can't believe Elle Macpherson would let her son ride like that! He should be facing forward, so if something bad happens, he goes OVER the handlebars and not into her face. Imagine the cries of "Owe, the humanity!" if *that* were to happen.

Was Shia's car crash more or less "terrifying" than his unrequited love for Diane Sawyer?

Liv Tyler feels "neurotic." And Royston Langdon? Dude feels like a lady.

Is "Rambo 5" the one where the old man alternates between night terrors and soiling his bed?

RIP, Rick Wright. Gone to The Great Gig In The Sky.

Strictly speaking, those "Toronto strippers" are probably from Rouyn or Temiskaming, Quebec. That's why we call it "the French-Canadian ballet."

Posted by: Former naked terpsichorean critic byoolin | September 16, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | September 16, 2008 10:42 AM

Yeah, I'm sure you complained about the Hilary impersonations on SNL, or the skewering of Obama and other democrats too. You Republican shills are so despicable. You always cry and yell when you believe Republicans are being attacked, but you have no problem making up lies about Obama and other Democrats. I'm sure you haven't complained about the lies McCain is telling about Obama? Or the lies Pallin is telling about her "experience."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I think Liv was referring to picking herself up and dusting herself off. Her way of saying it *is* kind of awkward.

Oh, how I do wish someone would develop a program called Troll-B-Gone!

The Shat needs to stick with Boston Legal. He's finally found a role that fits him to a T.

Posted by: b | September 16, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

...and furthermore, if Brangelina were so powerful, they could have got Shatner on The Star Trek Golden Girls Movie.

Unless!

They were the ones who made sure he didn't.

Posted by: byoolin is in awe of their power. They probably control gravity too. | September 16, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

This just in:

Physicists at the renowned CERN Institute have now revised their predictions about what they expect to find when the new Large Hadron Collider is brought to full power at begins to simulate the Big Bang. Whereas scientists had previously expected to find the Higgs Boson, acknowledging a shift in the power structure of the Universe, physicists tell the AP that when the streams of protons collide in a massive display of power, their calculations now show that the expected result will be tiny Brangelinas.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 16, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: anon | September 16, 2008 10:27 AM

I normally don't care about this, but it's YOU'RE not your.

And I'm pretty that guys who are involved with guys are not called lesbians

Posted by: MGC | September 16, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I hereby nominate Dorkus for the Nobel Prize in the field of Celebritology Physics.

Posted by: byoolin | September 16, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Please, Carly, Sarah is an empty vessel. No depth, no thought processes.

Concerning the John Hamm interview, I th ought it was kind of cute. Hamm is lovely looking and did a spot on impression of Reege.

Posted by: vicki Pasadena, CA | September 16, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

This just in:

Posted by: Dorkus | September 16, 2008 11:10 AM

...which will spontaneously collapse to form a black hole and swallow the world, Jennifer Lopez's big ole triathalon-completin' booty and all.

Posted by: ADHD acknowledges bored @ work for the reference | September 16, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

My heavens! The people on this blog are so rude to each other. Just reading the nasty comments brings me to tears. I wish you all would be gentle and nice to each other, so that we can all learn wonderful tips on raising children. Although I don't have much in common with the people who live in urban slums and are not upper-middle class, I love sharing about my beautiful children that I raised in a suburban environment. Please, lets not be mean to each other, it truly makes me and I'm sure the others very upset.

Posted by: Nancy | September 16, 2008 10:46 AM

Who does on this blog, Nancy?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 10:49 AM

Well I mean areas where there are lots of ethnic people. The area we are from there is not a lot of ethnic people. Unless you call descendants of Western Europe "ethnic" !!!

Posted by: Nancy | September 16, 2008 10:53 AM

Posted by: our beloved Nancy | September 16, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

MGC,
I stand corrected. It should read more like this.
If you stalk a person that is the same sex as yourself, you're geigh! - etc., etc.
I had not had my coffee when I wrote my earlier post.

Posted by: ANON | September 16, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

There sure are a lot of Socialist on here whom seem to be more than willing to redistribute the working person's earnings through taxpayer funded, "feel good", no substance programs. I have no problem with them using their money/earnings for this, but "STAY AWAY FROM MINE!!!"

Posted by: John | September 16, 2008 12:01 PM

Gibberish! Are you related to altmom?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 12:03 PM

I think Nancy is the work of a very creative individual.

Hi Emily!

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | September 16, 2008 12:07 PM

Hi Whacky!! It's been too long. I love your new moniker.

Posted by: Emily | September 16, 2008 12:11 PM

Oh great. Fo4 and the spinach maniac are flirting again. Spare me.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 12:13 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin | September 16, 2008 11:16 AM

-----------------------------------------
I second the motion.

Posted by: Sasquatch | September 16, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Imdb.com allows free film, TV viewing

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Amazon.com said on Monday that its subsidiary, Internet Movie Database, would allow users to watch feature films and TV shows for no charge on its website, imdb.com.

Over 6,000 titles will be available, the company said, citing recent episodes of popular television shows like "24" and "Heroes" or classic films like "Some Like It Hot."

IMDB also said that the first episodes of new fall television shows like "Lipstick Jungle" and "30 Rock" will be available for free viewing before their first air date.

Amazon, best known as the global online retail giant, has been pursuing deals to increase its footprint into digital media. The company already offers downloadable films and television shows from almost all the major Hollywood studios and television networks on its own website.

Posted by: Not Celebrity, but still noteworthy | September 16, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin, regarding the story about Soderbergh and del Toro partying with Toronto strippers:

Are Toronto strippers of higher quality than Pittsburgh strippers?

Posted by: Sasquatch | September 16, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Sasquatch! Have you returned from paddling around NY?

Posted by: Groovis | September 16, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 23112 | September 16, 2008 10:02 AM
===
I agree, 23112, however, Shat's quote was "If we're trying to put together the DNA of a dinosaur dead for a 160 million years..."

Being kind of dinosaurish himself, I think he has a point.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 16, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Groovis,

Vacation has been postponed a week because of a number of factors. Vacation venue has also been changed from Adirondack paddling to Down East sailing.

Keeping a low profile because of work and recurring troll droppings.

Posted by: Sasquatch | September 16, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see you, Sas!

Generally speaking, Toronto strippers are of a higher "quality," if you can call it that, than their Pittsburgh sisters.

That said, I will never forget the night my friend J___ and I witnessed one dancer leave the stage during the second of her three scheduled songs while screaming at another dancer, "You keep your f______ hands off my old man!"

The ladies continued with a frank exchange of views in a nearby dressing room, accompanied by the sounds of screaming, slamming doors, thrown furniture, and of course, "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner, which continued to play on the establishment's sound system.

Posted by: byoolin also recalls that the dancer at his table had a beak like Geddy Lee's. | September 16, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"That said, I will never forget the night" in Toronto...

Posted by: byoolin clarifies. | September 16, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

What sort of obscene act is Amy Winehouse performing on that award statuette at the top of the page (Eye on Entertainment Gallery link)?

Posted by: yipe! | September 16, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I believe the "obscene act" in question is actually a bang-on impression of Sarah Silverman fellating a Creative Arts Emmy award.

Posted by: byoolin | September 16, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Anything resembling Winehouse is not a good look.

Posted by: yipe! | September 16, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin, given the design of the Emmy statuette, is not Sarah Silverman blowing the entire planet?

I'd pay a lot of money to see a live duet of Sarah Silverman doing "I'm F***ing Matt Damon," with Dave Chapelle countering, "And I'm Rick James, Beyotch!"

Posted by: Sasquatch | September 16, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"[G]iven the design of the Emmy statuette, is not Sarah Silverman blowing the entire planet?" - Posted by: Sasquatch

*****

If she is, I hope she's going alphabetically.

Posted by: byoolin | September 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Don't Bogart that Silverman, Byoolin.

Posted by: Sasquatch | September 16, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Me first!

Posted by: aardvark | September 16, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Byool, I'll give ya 5 bucks to ask this woman if they go all the way up.

Posted by: Sasquatch | September 16, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Sas' that's almost 52 inches of legs. I'm just going to sit here and ponder that for a while.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorkus | September 16, 2008 4:11 PM

---------------------------------------------

Dorkus, we all need to look up someone...errr.. look up to someone.

Posted by: Sasquatch | September 16, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, I could use the $5.

Posted by: and byoolin's never been slapped by a Russian before, either. | September 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Byool, you're on.

Posted by: Sasquatch | September 16, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

This is certainly worth trying, but I'm less supportive of $ for attendance than $ for good grades, though I'm also worried about grade inflation. Will 90% of the students now get As, whether they deserve them or not? Worst case scenario, DC loses a bit of money. Best case scenario, some students catch the education bug. There is no across-the-board fix, so you might as well try what you can.

I have 3 years of experience teaching science to students and teachers in Birmingham public middle and high schools. Judging by all the pregnant 14 year olds I met, I'm guessing these kids would be considered "at risk." I was a transient part of their lives, so I don't know how many stopped going to school, but it was probably a significant number. So, that's what I've done for the "at risk" youth in schools. I'm currently on track to move into science education policy and curriculum, which is truly my passion.

Posted by: atb | September 16, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

byoolin,

While Anonymous isn't looking, I just wanted slip in here and give you a little help in your quest to discover whether or not those legs go all the way up.

(Personally, I believe that they do.)

You might want to take the Lizard rescue ladder with you; it looks like quite a climb.

Also, you might be able to avoid a face slap by mentioning to the Russian lady that Sasquatch is a personal backwoods friend of Ms Sarah Palin, one of the USA's Vice-Presidential candidates. That ought to distract her long enough for you to make a nimble getaway.

Posted by: Curmudgeon offers some advice | September 16, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Miley Cyrus's beau has an interesting John Mayer dating tip when describing his style: Star he told PEOPLE of his music, "My style isn't like anyone else. If John Mayer was to meet Brad Paisley and they reproduced, that would be me."

I don't think we'd thought of Brad Paisley yet.

Posted by: alex | September 16, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

yeah,look at them...smile naturally.They are made for each other and I know from--interracialchatting.com--that they are happy and many poeple admire them.

Posted by: will | September 16, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

LIZ, PLEASE REMOVE SPAM AT 11:31 PM.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse