Posted at 7:52 AM ET, 09/11/2008

Morning Mix: Nicole Kidman 'Overpaid'; Heather Mills Fired from 'Celeb Apprentice'

By Liz Kelly
Thursday

Headlines: Nicole Kidman named most overpaid celebrity... Oprah tops list of most generous celebs... Lynne Spears admits she isn't the perfect mom... Matt Damon says he fears a Sarah Palin administration... Meanwhile, "Gossip Girl's" Chace Crawford calls Palin "attractive"... Russell Crowe asks Australian authorities to let Snoop Dogg in... Ellen de Generes posts wedding video online... Eva Longoria says she's not pregnant, "just fat"... Kirsten Dunst says, "Now I love me"... British singer says Madonna is just "rude"... Sarah Jessica Parker latest star to succumb to big, rolled up jeans fad.

Crime Watch: Anne Hathaway's ex pleads guilty to fraud charges; Hathaway opens up... Eric Carmen charged with second DUI.

Rumor Mill: Heather Mills fired from "Celebrity Apprentice" before it even kicks off... Michael Douglas to play Liberace in new biopic... Tara Reid engaged!... Mariah Carey tell-all in the works... Victoria Beckham partnering with Gordon Ramsay to open L.A. eatery... Lindsay Lohan and Sam Ronson to marry by year's end?

Say What?
"She's the most stylish, but I take longer to get ready." -- Singer Rob Thomas, who just wants to look right, man.

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's Celebritology Live discussion, in which I -- like Madonna -- will demand to know who you are and what it is you do.

By Liz Kelly  | September 11, 2008; 7:52 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Re-Pleat Offender: Keira Knightley
Next: Celebrity Sports Girlfriends: Arm Candy or Booby Traps?

Comments

Heather Mills has GOT to be the worst woman to ever suck wind on this planet. Her selfishness and sense of entitlement make Diddy, Kanye West and Donald Trump look like paragons of rectitude. Jeeze, why not shoot for the whole ball o' wax and ask to be guaranteed winner, for the love of mittens?

Posted by: Stick | September 11, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I think SJP looks fine. Her jeans are baggy and "boy cut," but do not actually look like a man has worn them. Katie's are just not flattering at all and make her look bigger then she is, I don't think SJP's do.

Posted by: DC | September 11, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Wait a minute - didn't Matt Damon say some time ago that celebreties should keep their mouth shut unless they knew what they were talking about?

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Oh please. SJP may have other issues, but I should look that "bad" in a pair of rolled up jeans. I refer you to Snoop's average daily get-up as something to snark about.

Posted by: jojo | September 11, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

How big of Lynne, with an "e", to admit she is not a perfect mother.

Work computer wouldn't let me read the story on Madonna. So what has she done now??

Why does SJP succumbing to the rolled up jean fad suprise you Liz? She is the one who has tried to start the giant flower on the lapel fad. I really don't get why everyone considers her such a fashionista. She is daring, yes, I'll give you that, but not in a good way.

I'm saying it now. I predict Lindsay will eventually dump her girlfriend and go back to guys ala Anne Heche.

Posted by: hodie | September 11, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Hodie, here's that Madge article. Never heard of the guy (obviously not THAT Jim Morrison).
++++++++++

James Morrison has claimed Madonna is the most impolite celebrity he's ever met.

Speaking to Metro ahead of the release of his new single You Make It Real, the singer-songwriter revealed he was blanked by the Material Girl while working on his second album in the US.

"I was recording in a studio in LA and she came in to speak to a producer and someone asked if I wanted to meet her," he explained.

"I'm not her biggest fan but thought I'd say hello so I went over and said: 'Hello, I'm James, nice to meet you,' and put my hand out to shake hands.

"She just looked at it and said: 'And what do you do?' I told her I was a singer and she just stared at me and didn't say anything. It was really uncomfortable. Then she just ignored me."

He added: "F*** her, though, it's just a matter of common courtesy. It doesn't matter what someone does for a living. She's just rude. There's no excuse for it."

The Brit award winner, whose new album Songs for You, Truths for Me is released on September 29th, became a father at the weekend after his girlfriend Gill gave birth to a baby girl.

Posted by: Nosy Parker checks in early today, before the trolls arrive | September 11, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Why does anyone even contact that Heather Mills person to do anything. She's a piece of trash - period. I wouldn't watch anything she's on and I certainly wouldn't buy anything she supposedly wrote. She needs to go away.

Posted by: WI | September 11, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Lyn Speers shoold get parenting lesons from my sencond mom Dina. She's awsum and knows how 2 be a goood parnt. c how good linsey, allly, and the rest hav becum?

Posted by: luvlinsey | September 11, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Huh.

A Liberace biopic?

Starring Michael Douglas?

I think I'll be washing my hair that day.

Posted by: Curmudgeon has to go to work now | September 11, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 8:53 AM

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Posted by: anon for this | September 11, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"Lynne Spears admits she isn't the perfect mom"

Isn't that like admiting that water is wet?

Funny, never knew Russel Crowe was down with the Crips and/or a toker. And kudos to Mrs. Longoria for just being her.

Posted by: EricS | September 11, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Nosy! It would pay Madge to remember where she came from.

Posted by: hodie will always remember the little people | September 11, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Victoria Beckman is opening an EATERY?

WHAT does she eat? Will it offer frozen grapes and various flavors of calorie-free water? AND scales in every bathroom stall?

Yummmmmm!!

Posted by: Amelia | September 11, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 8:53 AM

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Celebrities are concerned voters just like the rest of us. Why shouldn't they be able to voice their concern? In the case of Matt Damon, I've actually seen him speak on various issues...he does know what he's talking about.

Posted by: anon for this | September 11, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Heather Mills fired before Celebrity Apprentice started...it's too bad all of the 'She hasn't got a leg to stand on' jokes have been over-used; I'd hate to beat a dead horse, I'll save that for Sarah Jessica Parker.

Apparently Russell Crowe needs to borrow some of Snoop's weed to console himself at not being the most overpaid celebrity.

Mrs Longoria-Parker is "fat", ok ladies raise your hand if you want to just smack her.

Kirsten Dunst, I'm glad you are happy with yourself, but please stay away from the scientology crap. I'd hate to have to take you off my kitchen pass list.

Rob Thomas says he's less vain than fearful he'll look like an idiot...it might be too late for that. Maybe he should man up, stop preening, and start producing good music.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 11, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Eva Longoria is just fat and come spring she'll be skinny again.....

From the Matt Damon article: Damon suggested the odds are John McCain won't survive his first term.

Is that a threat?!

Posted by: hodie | September 11, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Eva you are really tipping the scales there with all that extra weight.

I wonder how low Lynne is willing to go on this mom thing. As I see it she right below the subpar level.

Posted by: petal | September 11, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Madonna is rude? I'm shocked!

Victoria Beckham and Gordon Ramsay are opening an eatery? Any bets on which one will cause the other to nancy first?

Mariah Carey tell-all? Oh sweet jebus. That woman is pretty much an open book. I mean really, does anyone suspect she may have unplumbed depths?

Posted by: jes | September 11, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Stick - would it anger you to the point of joining with stones to break my bones if I starting using your 'for the love of mittens'... I think that is quite brilliant...

Posted by: LTL knows a good curse when she sees one... | September 11, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jes | September 11, 2008 9:44 AM

**********************************

Maybe we should ask Nick Cannon.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 11, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"Oprah tops list of most generous celebs"

Not her mom's list, however.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 11, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

So...Anne Hathaway read Gandhi's autobiography after her break-up with her felonious boyfriend??? Because breaking up with an idiot is somehow equal to campaigns for easing poverty or expanding women's rights, or for achieving the independence of India?

Wow - that girl is deep.

Posted by: Groovis is mightily impressed | September 11, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

And welcomed to MIXED UP CRAZY WORLD DAY where

- Sarah Palin is "attractive"
- Eva Longoria is "fat"
- Victoria Beckham is a "restauranteur"
- Michael Douglas is "Liberace" and
- Rob Thomas "cares about his appearance."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 11, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

to WI: I think that the Celebrity Apprentice contacted Heather Mills specifically because she is such a train wreck. They would have been counting on people each week to see it happen.

Posted by: jlr | September 11, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Wow - that girl is deep.

Posted by: Groovis is mightily impressed | September 11, 2008 10:12 AM
===

Perhaps she was reading it for the diet tips.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 11, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Poor Nicole, she leaves Hollywood, gives birth to a beautiful baby girl (with no questions about paternity), seems to be somewhat sane and this is what she gets? Once she got away from the crazy couch jumper, she did good work. Heck, she deserves every penny she gets just for putting up with Cruise for so long.

Celebrity Apprentice wanted Mills on for the "Omarosa" factor. But, they soon learned the Omarosa is a piker compared to Mills. Apparently, little things like laws against lying in court and fixing game shows mean nothing to a gold digger.

Wow, Madonna. Would it have killed you to shake the guy's hand? Definitely entering Jacko territory.

Posted by: ep | September 11, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I am all for increasing support for public transportation for a host of reasons. I guess the data for states with an older driving age (NY) versus states with a younger driving age (MD), are there a statistically significant difference in the number of accidents, fatal accidents, property damage etc...

Overall, I think everyone should be utilizing public transportation more. Also when I was in school after school activity buses were funded through property taxes. Here, in the low tax states, everyone balks at paying higher property taxes. You get what you pay for.

Am I crazy but why are 16 year olds out at 2 am in the first place? And unless your desperately poor, why does your kid need to work till 2 am in the morning. I would never permit my HS kids to be working that late. And don't the labor laws prevent that?

Posted by: foamgnome | September 11, 2008 10:09 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"Oprah tops list of most generous celebs"

and has one of the most dysfunctional families...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

One hour and 24 minutes. Trolls caught in traffic this morning?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 11, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

MoCoSnarky's response to Anne Hathaway reading Gandhi: Perhaps she was reading it for the diet tips.

Priceless. Hey, but steer her away from Posh's new restaurant. They're serving Banger's and Mash!

Posted by: hodie | September 11, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the place has vomitoria for the bulimics.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"YES! It should be raised to 17 in all states. 16 - or a sophomore is high school is far too young to be driving a car. I grew up in NJ and got my license at 17."

So . . . let me get this right: the principled response is to move the driving age to what you had because 16 is "far too young" but 17 is just right - again, because it's what you did. There's a thoughtful analysis of the public policy issues for you. Not.

Posted by: Get Real | September 11, 2008 9:35 AM

LOL! Even better, the author claims to have been a TEACHER!

"I taught high school for 7 years and there is a HUGE difference between a sophomore and a junior." ....

"And I firmly believe that drivers under the age of 18 should not be allowed to have more than 2 passengers (other than family members)in their cars- especially at night."

Posted by: LBH219 | September 11, 2008 9:27 AM

"And I firmly BELIEVE blah, blah, blah" from a teacher???

Posted by: FunnyBone | September 11, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

One hour and 24 minutes. Trolls caught in traffic this morning?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 11, 2008 10:24 AM

Or they chose to do something a bit more important this anniversary morning, Bozo.

Posted by: Sheesh | September 11, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Rob Thomas: You need to SPEND much more time, bud. Whatever you're doing ain't working. Try pleated pants.

Nicole Kidman: Yes, she's sorta pretty in a ghostly pale way, but other than "To Die For," she's not all that as an actress.

Michael Douglas as Liberace: "If only my father Kirk were here."

Posted by: td | September 11, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"Russell Crowe asks Australian authorities to let Snoop Dogg in..."

Clearly we now know of at least one Australian who's looking forward to that "DingoStyle" concert DVD.

Posted by: td recycles joke from last week | September 11, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

/////////

Posted by: anon for this | September 11, 2008 9:25 AM
/////////
So Damon is a doctor (has he even played one on tv)? He says McCain won't survive his first term? He's an expert on THAT? McCain's mother is in her 90s! I'm not pushing either candidate, but I am tired of celebrities who think they are experts on everything just because they can read a script or sing a song.

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

that describes all of atlmom posts. i guess she doesnt get enough attention at home, so she comes on here to make sure she gets some. i think she posts about 30/40 times a day on here.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Per the whole Matt Damon thing:

Here's the quote from his Conde Nast interview:

"For a lot of actors, our biggest fear is that we're going to start talking about things we don't fully understand and sound like idiots," he said. "In the long run, I'll do much more good if, when I open my mouth, I have something worth saying."

Now personally, I think he had something worth saying. The whole "Disney Movie" analogy was actually spot on and scary/funny at the same time.

And he wasn't threatening McCain for God's sake - he was pointing out that with McCain's age and health history (his prognosis is good these days, but melanoma can be nasty). The concept that McCain could die a natural death in office is not exactly unlikely, you know? And then we're left with Sarah Palin - a creationism-supporting, aggressively pro-life, big-oil supporting candidate, Because the last 8 years have shown us how well that works....

I just think it's funny that Palin's rep is dismissing Matt Damon of all the political celebrities out there. He's the one with the Harvard education and is involved with several international relief organizations. Sad to say, he probably has more foreign relations experience than she does, and is actually far more "elitist" by comparison! You think they'd target that instead....

Posted by: ... | September 11, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Who will be eating at the new Posh/Ramsay eatery? Besides Anne Hathaway, Keira Knightly and the Olsen twinz?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky, proposing a new list | September 11, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Oprah tops list of most generous celebs

Generous in what? Girth?

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 11, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 10:40 AM

Geez, no one is allowed to speak their mind? You're allowed to post your gibberish and idiotic opinion, but Damon isnt allowed to offer his?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Kirk Douglas is still alive.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Eek. I had always wished Sam Ronson would take off her idiotic hat, but
after seeing her without it...eek.

Posted by: possum | September 11, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"Sarah Jessica Parker latest star to succumb to big, rolled up jeans fad."

And getting those suckers on over her hooves was one serious challenge.

Posted by: td always laughs when people say she looks like a horse | September 11, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Well Matt Damon dropped out of Harvard - but then so did Bill Gates!

Posted by: point of fact | September 11, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MoCoSnarky, proposing a new list | September 11, 2008 10:41 AM

**************************************

I think we can all agree that Posh will not be eating there, or anywhere really.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 11, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

///////

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:42 AM
/////////
I guess that proves any idiot CAN post their "gibbersh and idiotic opinion"

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

...and the original point was not that anyone CAN speak their mind, but that he had just publicly said he shouldn't say anything unless he knew what he was talking about. Unless he is McCain's doctor, he doesn't, but offered his "expertise" anyway. No one said he he couldn't offer an OPINION!

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Eric Carmen arrested for DUI? Clearly he wanted to "Go All the Way" to jail. I pity the cellmates who had to listen to him singing "All By Myself" all night.

Posted by: td | September 11, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

********************

And she's the one that was on the five-year plan in college at 3 different schools including someplace called "North Idaho College."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I don't think there is a way to edit a previous post.

I am trying to run some programs and post at the same time. So I can't be concerned with the errors in my post. Although, I do recongize there are ton in them.

Posted by: foamgnome | September 11, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 10:46 AM

you are an idiot. he didnt offer any "expertise" he offered an opinion publicly. sort of what YOU are doing by posting an idiotic comment on a blog PUBLICLY.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Note I said "Harvard educated", not "a Harvard graduate" ;)

And hey, he made a choice that led to financial security. As did Bill Gates...

Posted by: ... | September 11, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I learned to drive at 15 3/4. I got my license. I had one accident on ice at age 17. Got one failure to obey the sign ticket at 18. Other than that I could drive myself to work from a house that wasn't near public transportation. It was a great and wonderful thing.

I totally support kids losing their license until 18 or 21 when they're caught drinking and driving or texting and driving let's say, but for the majority that will not have accidents and not cause problems? What's the difference between 2008, 1988 and 1968?

Posted by: DCer | September 11, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Good grief. It's 9-11. Even McCain and Obama called a truce today.

Posted by: Please people! | September 11, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Since Keira Knightly's pic showed that plaid is in for Fall, maybe SJP should look here for fashion inspiration:

Posted by: epony | September 11, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Aaah, yes, the Harvard educated Matt Damon telling all us little people to be afraid of the College of North Idaho educated Sarah Palin because she doesn't understand the common person. Maybe if Damon spent some time in those areas of the country he flies over between Boston and Hollywod, he might actually understand the little people better.

Posted by: ep | September 11, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

***************************************

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:42 AM
***************************************

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 10:50 AM
******************************************

...looks like those debate lessons paid off - impressive...

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I agree, people,calm down. The Matt Damon threat comment was snark. Nothing more. Didn't deserve a multiparagraph rant. His comment, taken obviously out of context, hit me funny. Just gotta watch what you say in this day and age or the Secret Service will come knocking at your door. (Matt are you listening?) Ok everyone??? truce. I think I enjoy the troll comments more.

Posted by: hodie | September 11, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I think I enjoy the troll comments more.

Posted by: hodie | September 11, 2008 11:17 AM

Owe, the humanity!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

1) SJP is the ugliest person on earth so it does not matter how she dresses.
2) Matt Damon was accepted to Harvard, was doing well, but dropped out to write and star in an academy award winning movie. - Not a bad choice, heh?? His opinion is a very valid one. When someone is elected president don't you notice how they age very quickly? Yes McCain may live to 90 if he retired and enjoyed his life, but as president I see him dying within 4 years.
3.) Palin is attractive all days, not just today. She is insane and her views are dangerous, but she is attractive.

Posted by: ANON | September 11, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

matt damon's opinion seemed pretty well-informed to me.

i like the rolled up jeans look. as long as they have no pleats.

as for this:

****
One hour and 24 minutes. Trolls caught in traffic this morning?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 11, 2008 10:24 AM

Posted by: Sheesh | September 11, 2008 10:36 AM
****

So are you admitting you are a troll or have you appointed yourself Snark Proctor?

Posted by: b | September 11, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm down with the comfy jeans trend. Hooray! Anything that will prevent "muffin top" or butt cleavage is A-OK in my book. And if SJP can sport it, soon millions of youthful fashionistas will desire the look.

Posted by: Maritza | September 11, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

To be fair ep, Matt Damon lives in Miami so I think he spends most of his time flying over the Gulf. And for all of his celebrityness he does tend to be low-key and typically well informed on the issues he speaks about, unlike say Sean Penn.

But what do I know, I'm just a simple guy living in fly-over country (who is actually kind of scared of Sarah Palin's views).

Posted by: Dorkus | September 11, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey, epony, love the horse blanket -- now that's all-over coverage! Perhaps when the weather gets a bit colder. . . .

Posted by: td | September 11, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

i am more scared of sarah palin than i am of the socialists the gop says obama has hidden under my bed.

Posted by: b, who also lives in the flyover zone | September 11, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Generous celebrities, in order (according to Parade magazine, which frankly I only read for the insider-cover Q&A):

1. Oprah Winfrey. Check.
2. Herb Alpert. Check.
3. Barbra Striesand. Check.
4. Paul Newman. Che-----

WHOA.

Back up a second.

Herb Alpert?! The trumpet guy who I first heard of from the racy cover of that "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" album that my parents tried to hide from me by stashing it inside the Hi-Fi? HIM?!

Who knew the guy who gave us "Lemon Tree," "Spanish Flea" and "This Guy's in Love with You" (I refuse to mention that disco-y "Rise," oh man, I just did) resulted in such a generous, giving man and foundation?

GO HERB! (And take that, Barbra. Throw some more money at charities instead of Obama fund raisers. Maybe you'll be number 2 next year.)

(Is Chuck Mangione generous also? I wonder. . . .)

Posted by: td is now humming *a taste of honey* | September 11, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks td, now I have A Spanish Flea pumping through my head.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 11, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, A Little Spanish Flea

Posted by: Dorkus | September 11, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Too funny, td! My parents had that album, too. Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass (pause for a moment while I'm mentally transported back to my parent's basement...) Okay, I'm back now. It was pretty damp and musty down there.

I bet if I rummaged around in Mom's garage that album would turn up.

Posted by: epony | September 11, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Please STOP with the totally boring political yammerings. It's dull - and you're just yelling at each other and boring those of us who don't care.

Go ahead. I dare you. Now lecture me on why I should care.

I'm going back to flipping through the tabloids and wondering who else will eat at Victoria Beckman's eatery - Kate Moss?

Posted by: Amelia | September 11, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

where is Jeff this morning?

Posted by: anitajohnson | September 11, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"The point was if some people think kids are old enough to make the serious decision to join the military at 16 or 17....how can we say they are not old enough to take the responsibility of driving a car at 16 or 17?"

HappyDad, can you cite by name one or more prominent people (Representatives, Senators, Governors) who think that teens should be able to join the military at 16 but not drive a car on a public road until 18? Is there anyone who holds that view? Your original post @10:45 seemed to imply that there were people who hold both views.

The fact that "some people" think teens should be able to join the military at 16 or 17, and "some other people" think teens should not be able to drive until 18 is neither surprising nor inconsistent.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I think Michael Douglas as Liberace is genius casting.

I loved Liberace, but in that weird way all those old ladies did, I just enjoyed watching the man play piano. I remember him being on Letterman & just blowing everyone away.

No puns intended either.

As for SJP, not a great look but better than that stupid hat she has on in the other pic & miles better than Katie Robo-Holmes.

Madonna is rude. In other obvious news the Pope is Catholic & I'm still NOT sleeping with Jon Bon Jovi OR Roger Clyne.

Posted by: Bored @ work | September 11, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

To Amelia......re: Victoria's eatery....dont' forget her new BFF Mrs. Cruise......

I agree with you about the yammerings....people will make up there minds and we'll all feel like we got "stuck" again......regardless of who wins. One will just be a lot scarier than the other..

Posted by: Char | September 11, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Amelia...

Posted by: Dorkus sulking in a corner | September 11, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Dorkus - come on out and we'll speak some Latin or something....

Posted by: Groovis | September 11, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Et tu Groove?

Don't sulk,Dorkus! Carpe diem!

Posted by: Amelia | September 11, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

When I was in Jr High, my grandfather brought me to a Liberace concert-in-the-round (Grandma wasn't feeling well that day). He was an awesome showman in his own way. He really had the little old ladies blushing & giggling. His piano playing was even better.

Posted by: jlr | September 11, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

sheesh people- the serious tone re: politics belongs on another blog... I'm missing the snark, sarcasm and dry wit that usually accompanies the comments.

Posted by: plamar1031 | September 11, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahaha, Victoria Beckham opening an eatery?? What, will all entrees be "small plates"?

Heather Mills fired before she is hired? Stunning!

Tara Reid engaged?! Congrats- the union will end once HE wakes up from his stupor.

Posted by: plamar1031 | September 11, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to get over "Victoria Beckham" and "eatery" in the same sentence. What would they serve? A few leaves of salad with diet pills on the side?

And speaking of twigs, Eva Boring is still about 20 lbs. shy of normal, but she does look a bit better than she used to.

Posted by: Californian | September 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Amelia - okay, I think Mischa Barton would be eating at the restaurant. But I think Mischa should probably be served her own foot:
(from another website)
Mischa has confessed she can't stand the fact people judge her solely on the fact she has a pretty face and slim body. She says "People also say I'm too thin. The truth is, pretty people aren't as accepted as other people. It comes with all these stigmas. It's like, 'She's pretty and thin, so she's got to have problems."

Posted by: Groovis just wants everyone to get along | September 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned bangers and mash.

Now, that's good eatin'. Add a nice dish of spotted dick for dessert and, well, bob's your uncle.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 11, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Mea culpa...I guess Beach Bum and the anonymi (anonymooses?, in a non-political way, I'd say Anonymouses but I'd hate to associate mouse with the trolls in any way) riled me up a little.

The idea of Tara Reid getting engaged makes me think of the Big Lebowski. I can just see her running off to party while her husband stays home worrying about her.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 11, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: plamar1031 | September 11, 2008 1:16 PM

try the OP blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

In my defense, I was just pointing out the contradiction, sorry we got all politco on anyone's rump there! I like Matt Damon, still think him shtoopin' Sara Sliverman, and then Ben Afflek & Jimmy Kimmel is one of the funniest things I've seen in the ol' www!

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

..and I agree, we should be using our powers for the fight against evil (e.g, HMills) rather than against each other!

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"Eric Cartman charged with second DUI."

Whoa. Isn't he way to young to even have a license? Plus, a cartoon character?

Oh wait... Eric Carmen. Never mind.

Rob Thomas, whoever the heck you are, maybe you wouldn't have so much trouble getting dressed if you didn't have to coordinate with that hideous bowl haircut. Some athlete ought to scoop your wife up, as punishment for the hair.

Posted by: epony | September 11, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 1:49 PM

there was no contradiction. you were just being an idiot for attacking someone for their opinion.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | September 11, 2008 11:11 AM

Lay off Sarah Palin, we both attended the same great school. Must run, I'm due at the airport.

Posted by: Larry Craig | September 11, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 1:56 PM

IS THIS MORON FOR REAL?

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Does Sarah Palin have great legs, or what? She really rocks those red Fook-Me Pumps.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:03 PM

--------------------------------------------
Maybe, but after popping out 5 kids, that thang is probably at the end of its service life.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

This ought to bring out the trolls and lots and lots of horrified responses. (grin)

My parents moved the family to a *really* rural place in the summer of '68 - our nearest neighbor was a half mile away across a 40-acre alfalfa field. First thing my dad did after the moving van was empty was taught all four of his kids to drive. He was making sure we weren't going to be stranded in the middle of nowhere without some way to get help if something happened to him and Mother.

I was 9, my sisters were 7 and 6 and my brother was 4. The car was a '56 VW bug - seriously underpowered - and with the seat moved as far forward as it would adjust, even my preschool brother could reach the pedals and see over the dashboard - just barely.

Once we were competent drivers by Dad's standards (which were pretty tough since he did things like have us driving into fallow, snow-covered fields and putting the car into a spin and pulling out of it again), the rule was that I and my next-younger sister could drive solo, and the younger two kids had to have one of the older two with them. We practiced our driving all over those back roads for the six years we lived there. All of this was completely illegal of course, but pretty common in the area, and the county law enforcement ignored the dirt roads completely, so we only had to stay off the paved highway over a mile from our house.

we all got our learner's permits at 15 1/2, which was CA state law, and got our licenses at 16. None of us ever had a serious accident before we were in our 20's. I fell asleep at the wheel crossing NV when I was 21, and youngest sister at 20 had a freak-out and lost control of her car when a doctor at her college put her on prescription barbituates instead of dilantin, her previous medication for controlling epileptic seizures.

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all driving age. One of the boys I went to elementary school with was driving a tractor and flipped it over on top of himself, shattering his spine and consigning him to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

I think states have to look at the typical driving conditions of their area, population and traffic density, availability of alternate (i.e. public) means of tranportation, and probably other factors that I'm not thinking of right now, and set the minimum driving age based on those factors. Then parents have a responsibility to *really* look at their kid's maturity, and not let the kid get a license until s/he is capable of handling the responsibility.

My 16-y-o is doing driver's ed now, and I'm pushing him, he's not that interested. I was surprised by the changes to CA law since I was a teen driver, but not at all disappointed by those changes. I think the restrictions on my son will make him much safer in Oakland's urban environment, and the lack of restrictions 30-plus years ago weren't a problem because I was driving in a much less urban environment back then.

Whee! Let the fur fly!

Posted by: Sue | September 11, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow - thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:03 PM

I only have eyes for her new son-in-law.

Posted by: ArmyBrat | September 11, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

am i on the wrong blog?

Posted by: anitabaker | September 11, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

O ubi, o ubi, est meum sub ubi.

Posted by: to Dorkus | September 11, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Posted by: Dorkus gigling like a little school girl | September 11, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

First you must accept the fact, that as men, we are always in trouble with our women. You can do the same thing one night a week for years (bowling, poker softball, anything that doesn't involve cheating on her) and she won't have a problem with it, but there will come one night that she will have an issue (PMS, bad day at work, hormonal, kids, mother etc.)and that one escape will become the root of all problems in your relationship.

Don't take thoughts of your woman to the escape. It will kill the escape! You must train your mind to block out all thoughts of the woman you are currently sharing time with while participating in your escape activity. Talk about all the women you want to with the boys, but leave your woman at the door. The mere mention of relationship issues among at the poker table is grounds for dismissal from the poker room at my poker night. It might even result in the revocation of your guy card (depending on the degree of violation or if you cry at the table). Face it, Sh!t happens and no matter where you were and what you were doing it's gonna be your fault. Accept this paradigm and move on.

Romo can hit it with any woman he wants. Not my problem. If he's with a hot model, actress or musician, good for him. However, the b!tch should know her role is his girlfriend, not PR rep. No one needs to see Tony & Jessica show. She's the one running her mouth because without him, she'll fade faster than one of my kids chalk drawings in the driveway on a rainy day. She can go to the stadium and watch him play, but she shouldn't be waving at the nearest camera to get on TV or the Jumbotron. SIT DOWN, SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE GAME.

The Cowboys will destroy the 'skins twice this season. The team is poorly coached, has a QB with no discernable talent and a Napoleonic pr!ck for an owner. All hail Dictator Dan and the hell with the Redskins!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

For those looking for armybrat, i believe he posts under "sasquatch" on the celeb blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 1:32 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Ubi Dubium Ex Flagellare

Posted by: to Dorkus again | September 11, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 1:56 PM

IS THIS MORON FOR REAL?

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 2:00 PM

Beach Bum, I think someone is looking for you on the OP blog. His comment to you was at 12:54 pm.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

IS THIS MORON FOR REAL?

Posted by: Beach Bum | September 11, 2008 2:00 PM

Beach Bum,
Just ignore any postings from Annonymous. My theory is that the person who cut and pastes all the posts from the OP site, or who posts all the unrelated,crude or nonsensical rants is one and the same with the one who then answers them immediatly. I also believe that Nancy and the Annonymous poster are the same. He is problably jobless, 30 yrs old and still lives with his mother.

Posted by: fellow lizard | September 11, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's ZZ Top and Brooks & Dunn concert in the Pittsburgh area has been postponed.

The Brooks & Dunn Web site reports that Ronnie Dunn has a "severe respiratory condition."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

WaPo headline: "No New Lourdes Miracles Despite Eased Criteria"

Madonna must be disappointed.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

You know a few weeks back, (Elias scratches his head remembering) I did receive a commission to design a strange device. It was, uh, a "Stale Cheetos Unit Manufacturer." This SCUM was required to have a low ambient light compensator and control panel.

I sent it to some guy with the address "Care of" mom.

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 11, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

E. Howe:

We know that guy! He lives in his mom's basement and is out of work again. His real name as Al Nonymous. Needless to say, you won't be paid.

He's strange.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 11, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

'Mudge, do you know a good accountant?

Between Sas not paying me for the Kevlar S.N.A.R.K. and this SCUM, I may have some tax problems at the end of this year.

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 11, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Elias, I do.

This particular accountant, however, attended North Idaho College, so I not sure if you should give him a call.

If I were you, I'd write the items (not their patents) off as a business expense or charitable gift and fagiddabadit

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 11, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I must have been taking a dump when this was covered. Please recap, or will I be sorry I asked?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Depends.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

He is problably jobless, 30 yrs old and still lives with his mother.

Posted by: fellow lizard | September 11, 2008 2:52 PM

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Don't forget...and a virgin.

Posted by: another fellow lizard | September 11, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Your need for attention with these posts are indeed quite ironic. I'm ~sure~ that was intentional.

Posted by: to Curmudgeon | September 11, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Beach Bum, speaking of Jimmy Kimmel, his entire lineup last nite was Martin Short and Solange (Knowles). The fall season has started, Letterman has booked Obama, and the best poor Kimmel can do is Martin Short and Solange? I like Kimmel's show, but I'm positive he's toast once Leno's contract on NBC is up.

And when will the powers that rule the universe heed our call that Solange is never to be heard from again?

Finally, for your viewing "pleasure," the worst of the VMAs: