Posted at 7:58 AM ET, 09/29/2008

Morning Mix: Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds Wed in Secret Ceremony

By Liz Kelly

Dressed as alter-ego 'Bruno,' Sacha Baron Cohen (left) crashes the Agatha Ruiz De La Prada show at Milan Fashion Week. (Reuters)

Monday

Headlines: Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds marry in Vancouver... Friends, family recall Paul Newman... Bruce Springsteen to perform Super Bowl halftime show... Britney Spears's new single "Womanizer" debuts... Heath Ledger's father says daughter Matilda will get everything... Dennis Quaid disses Meg Ryan for rehashing divorce details... Tina Fey reprises role as Sarah Palin... Palin beauty pageant footage surfaces... Barbra Streisand labels McCain's VP pick a "dud"... Ellen DeGeneres says marriage has "softened" her... DJ AM released from hospital... It's "The Partridge Family's" turn for a remake... Pix: David and Victoria Beckham launch new fragrance line.

Crime Watch: Heather Locklear arrested on suspicion of DUI... Kanye West won't be charged with felony in airport scuffle... Amy Winehouse may face arrest for allegedly hitting woman at London show.

Rumor Mill: Jermaine Dupri has a stomach malfunction in girlfriend Janet Jackson's lap... Did Jeremy Piven sneak booze into the Emmys?... George Clooney to play the Lone Ranger to Johnny Depp's Tonto?

By Liz Kelly  | September 29, 2008; 7:58 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering Paul Newman
Next: 2008 Lizzies: Let the Voting Begin

Comments

Who is Ryan Reynolds? Just the luckiest man in the world, that is all!

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 29, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm wearing black today in mourning for my unrequited relationship with ScoJo. Can someone link me a bikini photo to help with the grieving process?

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 29, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Johnny Depp would make a good Tonto, particularly since he has Native American ancestry. Hunh, Kemo Sabe.

Posted by: Red Dragon | September 29, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad Scarlett got married. Maybe now she'll stop calling my house at all hours begging for a piece of me. I'm happily married, lady.

Let's hope The Boss plays one of those slow, depressing tunes from "Nebraska" at halftime. And, please, no "wardrobe malfunction" - I'm talking to YOU, Steven Van Zandt!

What was scary about Tina Fey's Palin impression was that when she quoted one of Palin's responses verbatim you couldn't tell the difference from the rest of the stuff. I guess that's what's scary about Palin, too.

Ellen DeGeneres is already "softened" by marriage? At this rate she'll be the consistency of oatmeal by Christmas.

The Partridge Family remake "will take a tongue-in-cheek, modern-day approach to the original series." Sounds a lot like a cleaned-up version of what I pitched - The Aristocrats in a mini-van. My lawyers will be watching.

"Did Jeremy Piven sneak booze into the Emmys?" You mean the Emmys are DRY? More people should have snuck booze in, and got more drunk sooner. The show was duller than an Easter Mass, and they serve wine *there*.

Posted by: byoolin | September 29, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Bru-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-ce!

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 29, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Condolences to Paul Newman's family (He was hot in Hud and The Long Hot Summer)

Congrats to Scarlett and Ryan.

I never understood why she has a career but I do feel sorry for Heather Locklear.

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 29, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

For a second I thought that photo was of the Scarlett/Ryan wedding. Is that male model hiding a few people in there? I can't figure out if Sascha is the guy in the suit or at the end of those protroduing boots. ?

Jermaine Dupri barfed in Janet's lap? It's about time for another good famous vomit shot. I haven't seen one since George H.W. Bush barfed in China.

Dennis Quaid's statement is right on. Meg, move on, babe. Let's face it, your career was pretty one-note anyway. The clock just ran out on your charm. Bashing the ex just makes you look desperate and aged.

Speaking of one-note careers, Jeremy Piven better save his money, because after "Entourage" ends so will his booze budget. Can you hock an Emmy?

Posted by: td | September 29, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds married!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Posted by: Dorkus is heartbroken | September 29, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Can you hock an Emmy?

Posted by: td | September 29, 2008 8:56 AM

****

Got $1800?

Posted by: byoolin | September 29, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Or $15,000, if you want to have the 1990-91 Emmy for make-up for your work on "Quantum Leap."

Posted by: byoolin | September 29, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry, Dorkus. She'll probably be available again within the year.

Or so I'm hoping.

Posted by: Sully thinks Ryan Reynolds is yummy | September 29, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Jermaine, honey, couldn't you have turned your head?? Doesn't matter it was your birthday, you have some serious sucking up to do.
George Clooney with Johnny Depp?? Can't wait to see it.
And the Partridge Family!!! Come'on get Happy! Insiders say it will be "tongue in cheek".... what else could it be? So, what should be their new ride? I really liked the old bus.

Posted by: hodie | September 29, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, byoolin. Clearly there's a price point between a local Emmy and a national one. I'd like to rent an Emmy long enough so I can take a new Facebook photo of me in a tux holding it and looking not-that-surprised.

Posted by: td can dream | September 29, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to Liz for taking the time out of her weekend to post a special page for us to pay tribute to Paul Newman.

Byoolin (and others who can pick up West Virginia Public Radio), did you catch their story this morning about how Newman came to Huntington while preparing for "Cool Hand Luke" to absorb the local accent(s), since his character was from Appalachia? There are still folks there who remember his visit fondly. I think there may be links to the report on the WVPR website later today.

Also on the topic of Newman, I enjoyed Dahlia Lithwick's remembrances of meeting him while working four years as a counselor at the original Hole in the Wall Camp. Apparently some of the children had little idea of who Paul was, besides the geezer whose face appears on the salad dressing and spaghetti sauce jars.

Sad about Heather Locklear, hope she gets the treatment she needs ASAP. Those of us who've arrived at this blog from Lisa de Moraes' chats know that Pookie has mentioned how Heather's among the most beloved of performers by the Reporters Who Cover Television, because of her no-BS talk and wicked wit.

Much happiness to ScarJo on her marriage.

I don't think I want to know what Brit's new single is called "Womanizer."

Posted by: Nosy Parker | September 29, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Sully's right, Dorkus. Another year, two at the most, she'll be available again and a much more mature 25. Don't worry, there is still hope for you. We'll get right on it and see what we can do to sabotage the relationship for you. Afterall, it's not fair for her to keep Ryan all to herself anyway.

Posted by: hodie | September 29, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

The photo of ScarJo in the green and white sweater and matching socks is much better than the bikini pic.

Posted by: badabingo | September 29, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Any show that produced Danny Bonaduce should NOT be revived!

Posted by: sjcpeach | September 29, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, ScarJo is all yours. Give me Heather Locklear anytime -- even in her mug shot, she still looks beautiful. Who else can manage that feat? Amazing.

Posted by: td will even hold her hair back if she pulls a jermaine dupri in the car | September 29, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

td, do you think Heather Locklear still has her Police uniform from TJ Hooker?

Posted by: Dorkus | September 29, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, I certainly hope so. Mmm hmm.

Posted by: td is a sucker for a woman in uniform | September 29, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey, td, keep Heather but don't give away ScarJo to Dorkus without a (un) fair contest of some kind!

Some of us have permanent kitchen passes for ScarJo.

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 29, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Who votes for tracking down Mr. Reynolds and sending him for Re-education in China? Anyone? Bueler?

I'm pretty sure Sacha's the one wearing more than one throw rug.

Posted by: EricS | September 29, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Elias, didn't mean to be so cavalier about tossing ScarJo in Dorkus' general direction. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic:

"Lost in Translation" was:
A.) Dynamic and fresh.
B.) Overrated and long.
C.) Bill Murray was in it? I just gazed at Scarlett Johannsen the entire time.

Discuss.

Posted by: td | September 29, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"Lost in Translation" was:
A.) Dynamic and fresh.
B.) Overrated and long.
C.) Bill Murray was in it? I just gazed at Scarlett Johannsen the entire time.

Discuss.

Posted by: td | September 29, 2008 9:59 AM

God, what a pretentious bore.

Posted by: Norman | September 29, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

What a pretentious bore
Interesting moral compass
Pot, meet kettle

Posted by: get it out of your system early | September 29, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Hey Norman aka all of your other alias!

If you have to use that trite and shopworn phrase, at least be a bit entertaining about it. Say it in Pig Latin or Swahili or Greek, ok?

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 29, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

BTW, my vote is C.

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 29, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

So Scarlett is married; in Hollywood that just adds an extra dimension to scheduling a date.

Rehab for DUI? Geeze, it wasn't too many years ago that it was just a traffic offense. Maybe we should just cut to the chase and start sending people to rehab the first time they get drunk.

Posted by: Stick | September 29, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

stick, ya gotta keep up. Heather has problems, recently left in-patient treatment for depression.

Posted by: luvheather | September 29, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | September 29, 2008 8:56 AM

-------------------------------------------

As long as John Cusack has a career, Jeremy Piven can be a second banana. On further thought, maybe that's not such a sure thing.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

On a serious note, I have been taking surveys on LiT for a while. People that saw it in a theater vote 90% A. People that watched it on DVD go overwhelmingly B. 50% of both groups (the men) also check C.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. So, how pregnant is Scarlett?

Posted by: jaybbub | September 29, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

How little can you be pregnant?

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Are we going to do any snarking on the Friday night debate? 'Cause I want to know why McCain never - and I mean NEVER - even looked at Obama once. It was so bizarre.

Posted by: jaybbub is just wondering | September 29, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Heather's mug shot looks really good! Why can't all of those stars at least take a decent mug shot? (I'm thinking of Nick Nolte, among others)

I can't even look good in a picture when I'm sober with my clothes on.

Posted by: anonymous lurker | September 29, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"George Clooney to play the Lone Ranger to Johnny Depp's Tonto?"

Only if Tim Burton directs.

Ryan Reynolds and Scarlett Johanssen hitched?

Hope ex-girlfirend Alannis writes a song about it.

Remake of Partridge Family?

Can we cast the Spears family in this, please???

Posted by: Anonymous | September 29, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

All of us who are feeling forlorn over ScarJo's silly marriage must remember that she is apparently a German clone. We must find the source so we do not have to be sad any more!!!

Posted by: That Guy | September 29, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

1. because he's a condescending donkey
2. who is afraid of his opponent.

Posted by: janet throws out a reason or two | September 29, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: That Guy | September 29, 2008 10:51 AM

That's right! Problem solved. I thought you guys already put orders in.

Posted by: hodie | September 29, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

That's right! Problem solved. I thought you guys already put orders in...

Yes, we did! But Alas and Alack, I am afraid that I have not yet perfected my Clone-O-Rama. I put ScarJo in and got Roseanne Barr out! Elias feels badly that he had failed all the male inhabitants of the Island!

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 29, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"I put ScarJo in and got Roseanne Barr out! Elias feels badly that he had failed all the male inhabitants of the Island!" - Posted by: Elias Howe

*****

Bright side: at least the Island has someone to sing the anthem now.

Posted by: byoolin wonders what caterwauling looks like as sheet music. | September 29, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 29, 2008 11:00 AM

How? Most of them are geigh, geigh, geigh, geigh.

Speaking of Germans... Shana tova.

Posted by: Perplexed | September 29, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

TD, I actually think you can rent an Emmy. So go ahead and take that picture.

I wonder if Amy Winehouse also faces arrest for spitting on Pippa Middleton. For those going "Who's that?" She is Kate MIddleton's younger sister -- as in the younger sister of the girlfriend of Prince William. Do not ask me how I know about this incident.

Partridge Family -- tongue in cheek remake. This may be the closest to the original remake we ever get. I wonder if they will sue Giant for trademark infringement?

Posted by: ep | September 29, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Over 50% of today's blog celebs are Jews/half Jews.

Hapy New Year!

Posted by: Irony | September 29, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Correction: Happy New Year!

Posted by: Irony | September 29, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

on the mcpain question:

When he clenches his jaw like that, he can't turn his head.

Posted by: b | September 29, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Reynolds isn't Dane Cook?

Posted by: M Street | September 29, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

sit a pretentious taedium

Posted by: Norman | September 29, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Any references to "The Partridge Family" bring to mind the rise and fall of the Cowsills (the original series' inspiration). That family has been through hell. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cowsills

Posted by: td | September 29, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Reynolds isn't Dane Cook?

Posted by: M Street | September 29, 2008 11:47 AM

****************************************

No, Ryan actually has some talent (even if most of his roles are the same person).

Posted by: Dorkus | September 29, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | September 29, 2008 11:50 AM

Nooo. Any references to "The Partridge Family" foist bring to mind David Cassidy ....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 29, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone think that McCain is looking bad these days? I'm not sure what it is, but he seems gaunt, coloring is off...during the debate, I kept thinking he must be sick.

Posted by: no name | September 29, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: no name | September 29, 2008 11:55 AM
=======================================

Well, of course McCain's looking bad these days.

Who wouldn't in his situation?

bwahahahahahahahah

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 29, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

OT to ep and Dorkus:

Hail to the Redskins!!

That is all! :)

Posted by: Betty | September 29, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

If the "Partridge Family" remake was a spoof like the Brady Bunch movies with Gary Cole and Shelly Long it might be funny.

Posted by: Cleveland Brown | September 29, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no name | September 29, 2008 11:55 AM

That was Barack & his grandfather....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 29, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Heather Locklear--sounds like she had a bad medication reaction or something since they didn't get any indication of alcohol on the tests.

The Emmys should take a page out of the Golden Globes' book and serve booze, saving Jeremy Piven the trouble of smuggling it in. That was undoubtably the worst awards show I've ever suffered through. And Heidi Klum needs to draw the line when some hack scripts his fantasy of seeing her getting her clothes torn off--sheesh, what a fiasco.

Posted by: hermespal | September 29, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

LOVE that shot of SBC on the runway! He looks like he belongs there more than the dude in the suit that's trying to shuffle him off stage.

Becks, looking impeccable as always but WTF is up w/Posh's shoes? Or are they pants? Or leggings? Shoe-pants? I'll go with shants cause they're horrible.

Posted by: Bored @ work | September 29, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Betty, I am officially in mourning today.

Posted by: ep | September 29, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Condolences to Paul Newman's family.

Elias,
Please stop your cloning now. Anything that would produce Roseanne has got to spell doom.

Wait a tick. Don't we have Knight Rider stinking up the place? I think that's enough of the old shows being remade.

Posted by: petal | September 29, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Betty, I am officially in mourning today.

Posted by: ep | September 29, 2008 12:36 PM

*******************************************

I feel a little conflicted, yes I am sad that the Cowboys lost, but at the same time the Longhorns are #5 in the nation. Such a mix bag of football emotions from this weekend.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 29, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Very sad about Paul Newman, but his was a life well-lived and that gives me comfort.

Posted by: Ame | September 29, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Which pond did this scum crawl out of?

Posted by: schnitz | September 29, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

hahahaha- I second the love for that appearance of "Bruno" on the runway. That ridiculous getup fits in so well with the pretentious outfits that go down most runways.

I thought Meg Ryan's disclosure of her ex-husband's infidelity was a bit of sour grapes. I guess she'd like to set the record straight that she was not the only one who cheated in that marriage- but I agree w/Dennis Quaid, that was so like eight years ago, everyone has moved on and I don't think anyone cares.

That Amy Winehouse- what a classy broad...

Posted by: plamar1031 | September 29, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I really liked the report that said Meg Ryan's "trout pout" was the result of fat injections to her lips....taken from her butt. That in itself explains a heck of a lot.

Posted by: possum | September 29, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I kinda like Sacha's style. They keep the air on in my office 365 days a year at a finger numbing 35 degrees. Would be nice to dress in all of the blankets I own. Could be dangerous after lunch however.

Posted by: hodie | September 29, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Glad you had your Longhorns to console you, Dorkus. After the traumatic weekend you had, I was afraid you wouldn't even be able to type to us all today!

Posted by: alex | September 29, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Who was Jeremy Piven's date? Lily Allen? But, seriously, don't you think about half the attendees were sneaking a drink? Those awards things are long and boring.

I don't suppose this is the end of the Ledger will. When the Ledger family says they are going to gift his estate to Heath's daughter, I wonder if they really mean it will be put in trust for her--and if one of Ledgers rather than Michelle Williams will have control of the trust. Also, why the mystery over the value of the estate?

Posted by: alex | September 29, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

alex, I agree--I think the ledger situation is going to continue to be volatile. Heath's uncle is on record accusing Heath's father of mismanaging a family trust, so I would imagine dear old Dad is planning to manage this one.

I don't understand why they made any kind of announcement about it--why not just do it and get on with it as a family matter.

Posted by: hermespal | September 29, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Lay off the cracks on McCain. Please read the latest issue of Mens Vogue. They have an article describing all that Mr. McCain went through as a POW in Vietnam. The guy is a patriot, and a great American. I doubt if he is afraid of anything after what he went through.
Having said that, I will be voting for Obama because I think we need a change badly in this country.
But no decent person would ever snark on McCain if you read what he went through for this country. As an ex-Marine I would be honored to speak with Senator McCain, I just would not vote for him.

Posted by: anon | September 29, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

hermespal, I'll bet the uproar over the estate has been at record levels in Australia, with the family being lambasted in the press over their callousness, financial shenanigans, etc. This was probably their way of quelling some of the very public criticism. But I seriously doubt that the money will just be handed over with no strings attached; Grandpa Ledger will want to make sure he still keeps his fingers in the pie. (As you note, his track record with trust money isn't all that great, either.)

I guess I'm just a suspicious sort and doubt everyone's motives, but there's usually good reason when money's involved. You seem to share my lack of faith.

Posted by: alex | September 29, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

alex, I'm afraid I do. Share your lack of faith, that is. I had a really hard time buying the U.S. asset figure of less than $200k to start with. Unless he has what they call a loan-out company (big name actors and writers and directors do this for tax purposes--basically the production company contracts with the loan-out which in turn "pays" the talent for his/her services) based in Australia...but it still strikes me as very odd that at least some of his millions were not in the U.S.

Now this:

An earlier story claimed that the LAWYER was named the beneficiary and was claiming that he's suing the insurance co so he can give the $$ to Matilda. This story claims Matilda is the bene.

I dunno. I just have this vision of sharks in the water circling the estate money, the insurance pay out and the helpless ghost of Heath Ledger.

Posted by: hermespal | September 29, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, hermespal. I love getting your "inside" take on these things.

And agreed, with apologies to all the lawyers who post here, but all those billable hours are going to take a huge chunk out of the estate--whatever its eventual valuation.

Posted by: alex | September 29, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex | September 29, 2008 9:38 PM

The survivors usually get screwed when when a messed-up druggie ODs.

Posted by: Duh | September 30, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse