Posted at 7:56 AM ET, 09/30/2008

Morning Mix: Spears Plans 2009 World Tour

By Liz Kelly

Jennifer Lopez at the launch of her fragrance Deseo For Men in New York on Monday. (Getty Images)
Tuesday

Headlines: Janet Jackson hospitalized... Exes Jimmy Kimmel and Sarah Silverman spotted holding hands... Britney Spears planning 2009 world tour, files appeals in driving without license case... Travis Barker released from Georgia hospital... Lilo and SamRo hit the beach... Lil' Wayne becomes latest celebrity blogger... Jessica Simpson to sing on "Dancing with the Stars"... Kelly Osbourne says she has quarterly STD tests... Joely Fisher adopts baby girl... Victoria Beckham says she wears socks and gloves to bed... Former lawyer sues over Heath Ledger insurance policy... Merv Griffin company sues Ed McMahon for un-repaid $100,000 loan.

Crime Watch: Mindy McCready to serve 60 days for probation violation.

Rumor Mill: Adnan Ghalib marketing alleged Spears sex tape again?... Brangelina already planning for seventh child?... Miley Cyrus's birthday celebration upsets Disney Gay Day plans... Barbara Walters wants to host "View" "cooling off" meeting.

Bizarre: Celebrities Almost Felled by Food.

Reality Alert: "Paris Hilton's My New BFF" debuts tonight at 10 ET on MTV

By Liz Kelly  | September 30, 2008; 7:56 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2008 Lizzies: Let the Voting Begin
Next: Celebrity Designer: Alyssa Milano, Jersey Gal

Comments

What the heck was in Jermaine Dupri's barf?

Britney Spears' world tour is going to take for freakin' ever if she's going to do all the driving herself.

The idea of Cloris Leachman dancing while Jessica Simpson is singing makes me think waterboarding isn't the worst thing that can happen to a guy.

Kelly Osbourne, you don't have to have an STD test every time you have sex, you know.

Posted by: byoolin | September 30, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer Lopez looks like Joan Rivers with a dark wig. What happened to her eyes? Bad camera angle? Plus she looks at least 50 years old (i.e., much older than she is, before any of you fiftysomethings start ragging on me).

Posh wears socks to bed? Is that some kind of "family planning" metaphor with which I am unfamiliar?

Poor Miss Janet. I guess when Jermaine Dupri ralphed on her lap it got nasty. Vomit, the gift that keeps on giving? Just don't write a song about it, k?

Earth to Britney: If you are going to have sex, don't tape it. E-V-E-R.

Congrats to Joely Fisher.

Posted by: td | September 30, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Victoria Beckham says she wears socks and gloves to bed

If this were so she wouldn't have cold feet and hands (which are even less sexy than socks or gloves) it would be more understandable, but it's because she applies "really thick" creams to her feet and hands for overnight. Yuck.

Celebrities Almost Felled by Food (or anyone else, for that matter).

Not bizarre at all. Thank goodness for the Heimlich Maneuver.

For byoolin (and anyone else who might be interested), the links to yesterday's WVPR story on Paul Newman's stay in Huntington, WV., in preparation for filming "Cool Hand Luke" are:
The full version (although I haven't had time to watch, so can't vouch for it) is at:

Posted by: Nosy Parker | September 30, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Janet Jackson hospitalized.

byoolin, it could be simply that both she and Jermaine Dupri have the same flu.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | September 30, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, Nosy. I'll check it out tonight.

Posted by: byoolin | September 30, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Baba to give Hasselback a time out? Elizabeth is upset because she discovered a lot of feminists are liberal? The View's ratings must be slipping again. It's been what, three weeks since they were in the news for something.

Miley Cyrus is gay?

Posted by: Red Dragon | September 30, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, Nosy. I'll check it out tonight.

Posted by: byoolin | September 30, 2008 8:49 AM

Get the lube out!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I know what is really wrong with Janet. Oxygen Starvation. She doesn't have enough skin exposed to suck in the all the O2 she needs!

Posted by: Elias Howe | September 30, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

My wife has those "lotion gloves" that she wears to sleep in sometimes in the winter when her skin gets really dry. I don't think it's particularly weird. Now, what I wonder is if Posh still sleeps nude otherwise (oh, I hope so...).

Posted by: 23112 | September 30, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

byoolin and td beat me to it. I was thinking something similar when I read the piece about Janet.

If Jimmy and Sarah are holding hands what does this mean for Ben and Matt?

Congrats to Joely and family.

Posted by: petal | September 30, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I am in an agreeing frame of mind today.
TD,
I thought exactly the same thing about Jennifer Lopez -- she looks like a mean old lady in that photo.
23112,
I also pictured Posh wearing the gloves and socks and nothing else.

Posted by: dw | September 30, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

dw, 23112, yeah I also thought Posh was just wearing the socks and gloves to bed, which I would be ok with.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 30, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

23112, do you have a home humidifier for winter? (And if so, consider a higher setting). It can really help fight dry skin, as well as help with breathing.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | September 30, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy Parker | September 30, 2008 9:30 AM

Get a life, Mofo Hall Monitor!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey anon -- take it easy.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | September 30, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Coming from Britney that sounds more like a threat. Who would be dumb enough to front the money for that tour?

Socks I get, but gloves, in the summer? Dave.......>_>

I don't know or want to know what Kelly Osbourne is doing, but she's doing it worng.

Posted by: EricS | September 30, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

That was completely uncalled for, but I think I've just found my new favorite insult at 9:32.

Posted by: Sully can't help but giggle. | September 30, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Has vh1 or E! done a "Sleeping Habits of the Stars" special yet? Let's see:

* Posh wears socks to bed
* Mariah Carey sleeps with humidifiers around her bed to preserve her voice

Surely we can find other examples.

All this talk about Posh and the socks and the gloves and what else she may or may not be wearing . . . is it hot in here? And why am I humming "2 Become 1" all of a sudden?

Posted by: td says zig-a-zig-ah | September 30, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

On the gloves and socks thing for Posh?

*shrug* Women have been doing that for years.

Along with other such things like lemons on the elbows (to soften rough skin), cucumbers/shredded potatoes/tea bags underneath the eyes (to reduce swelling and dark circles), sea salt scrubs for exfoliation in general, stuff like that.

Just because it's Posh, I guess it's kooky and/or chic now.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | September 30, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Daniel Craig in a swimsuit is ... nice.

Posted by: One night only | September 30, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I remain in awe of J Lo. How can someone have become soooo successful with no discernible talent?

Posted by: jaybbub | September 30, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, the socks and gloves with lotion thing isn't that weird. It's just a way to do major moisturizing.

Posted by: h3 | September 30, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin | September 30, 2008 8:37 AM

It depends on who you're taking the gloves off for, byoolin!

And, in the tmi dept., I've been known to sleep in socks and foot lotion. No gloves, though. Just the socks. Hey, my feet are under the covers anyhow, so Mr. O.L. is just fine with it.

Posted by: other liz | September 30, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Did Janet have the same "flu" as Jermaine. Perhaps if it was the Champagne plus Tequila flu. No doubt though his ralphing in her lap didn't do much to improve her health. Yuck!

Does Kelly Osborne get that much that she has to be tested quarterly?? Perhaps her Mum could instruct her on how to be a little more choosy with her partners....nah, guess not.

What happened to Jennifer Lopez? Twins. She probably hasn't slept through the night in weeks. Even if she has a nanny, it is hard to keep up with the feeding demands of twins if you know what I mean. I actually didn't think that photo looked that bad but I agree she doesn't look herself. Too much makeup.

Posted by: hodie | September 30, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | September 30, 2008 10:27 AM

Jennifer Lopez is not breastfeeding and she has LOTS of help.

Posted by: She's rich | September 30, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Toxic upchuck - deadly stuff, Janet.

You need to have your boyfriend take an entire course of medication and injections before he tries that stunt again.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 30, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Oh hodie, your so funny. I am sure Jennifer Lopez has a nanny for each of them and has NEVER gotten up during the night even once.
Jenny from the block she ain't.
I have 3 sisters, been married twice, and spent the night with dozens of women. (yes, my morals used to be shaky), but I have never seen any woman wearing gloves to bed, not once.

Posted by: anon | September 30, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how often Kelly's partners get tested after their encounters.

Posted by: hmmmmmm | September 30, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: anon | September 30, 2008 10:45 AM

What is your point?

Posted by: ? | September 30, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Actually, thanks for the humidifier idea...we forget about those.

Posted by: 23112 | September 30, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

?
I guess you have not been reading the other comments. Several women have stated that it is not unusual to wear gloves to bed. I was responding that it must be unsual because I have never seen an example of it.
I guess you either have not been reading the other comments or you are a very dumb person.

Posted by: anon | September 30, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

How do you know she's not breastfeeding? I'd be quite suprised if she wasn't. But you know....maybe she hired a wet nurse! (eww)

Posted by: hodie risks sounding like one of the OP MMs | September 30, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Hrm, STD tests regularly for Kelly Osbourne? For some reason, I think I'm going to have an interesting variation of Jermaine Stewart's 'We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off' to sing at karoake on Saturday night....

As to talent level, J-Lo may not be particularly talented, but at least she had something to offer before she started getting high on her own smoke, especially when you look at, say, Heicer. Yes, she might have only been a Fly Girl and had maybe one or two decent acting turns - but Heicer have already hit rock bottom and begun to dig for China on that same relative scale.

Posted by: Anonyonandon | September 30, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

She said she did not plan to breastfeed in a big People spread. The nursing Nazis goosestepped on her, but there's been no word that she backed down.

Yes, you do sound like an OP MM....cross blog contamination alert!!!
Nurse - disinfectant - stat!

Posted by: She's rich | September 30, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

That's not lotion Posh is applying, it's the nightly layer of laquering so she can get that Eurotrash polished look.

Insurance companies suck. The one that Ledger had the policy with for which his daughter may or may not be the beneficiary (I still haven't figured that one out) is still claiming suicide to avoid paying. Not even a Will would have helped this one. Although, always have one and update it regularly.

Posted by: ep | September 30, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Missed the people article. Then you are right, there is no excuse. Must be all the worrying if she'll get her bod back.

Merv suing Ed?. Good luck on that one. He'll need to do a few more rap commercials to pay that one back.

Posted by: hodie | September 30, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | September 30, 2008 11:22 AM

Messed up druggie ODs, insurance company sucks....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Someone just suggested the socks with lotion over at the fashion chat.

Posted by: h3 | September 30, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I AGREE! Whatevr are BRANGEELEENA trying to prove????? getting more babies???WHY DON"T THEY ADOPT A PET! LIKE A FERET? every time i go to the SHelter, there are FERETs that need Momies and Daddys. if you remove the SENT GLANDS they are just FINE!!!
JEN WOULD ADOPD A FERET!!! SHES AN ANGEL as seen in PERKY PET catolog and my PIZZA
HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: luvjen | September 30, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Boy, there sure are a lot of cranky people posting today. Everyone must have lost a bundle in their 401(k) yesterday.

Posted by: badabingo | September 30, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Abainst my better judgment I visited the link for Celebrities Felled by Food.

While I was relieved this wasn't a rehashing (no food pun intended) of Mama Cass and the ham sandwich, I was puzzled by number 9 on the list:

"Ellen Barkin was eating dinner . . . when she jumped up and screamed, “I’m going to die!” CAA agent Kevin Huvane gave her the Heimlich . . . and popped out a piece of shrimp."

I thought if you were choking enough to warrant the Heimlich maneuver, you couldn't breathe, much less scream, "I'm going to die!" ?!

Posted by: td is about to eat lunch verrry carefully | September 30, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"Abainst"? Yikes. "Against..."

Posted by: td | September 30, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

One time my dog got sick all over me and I wound up in the hospital....

Posted by: b | September 30, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

The only serious vomit encounter I've had (outside of personal experience) occurred this past Sunday when my cat decided to upchuck his kibble. He then proceeded to re-eat it before I was able to get a paper towel to clean it up. I was slightly mortified.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 30, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorkus | September 30, 2008 12:12 PM

My cat eats his own poop.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

One time my dog got sick all over me and I wound up in the hospital....

Posted by: b | September 30, 2008 12:00 PM

Anal sex does that to me.

Posted by: Appalachian ER | September 30, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

alex, if you're around, this latest article goes back to the original bit about the lawyer we were discussing:

"LaViolette's lawsuit states that he is listed as the beneficiary on Ledger's policy and is suing to try get the money for Matilda Rose."

Who in the world takes out a life insurance policy and names their LAWYER the beneficiary?

Posted by: hermespal | September 30, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hermespal | September 30, 2008 1:16 PM

Dunno, Gomer.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Serious conflict of interest there. Would it be challengeable in court? Could the lawyer be brought up on charges?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Serious conflict of interest there.

Where's the conflict?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

“Several women have stated that it is not unusual to wear gloves to bed. I was responding that it must be unsual because I have never seen an example of it.”

Posted by: anon | September 30, 2008 10:56 AM

I suspect that celebrities for whom making a living depends on being attractive and having lots of exposed skin do this more than "normal" women - except perhaps than those of us who turn into lizards during the winter.

And besides, if a woman is spending the night with someone for kicks, they're probably not going to do their usual nightly routine...

Posted by: schnitz | September 30, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if it's technically unethical, but it sure doesn't pass the sniff test. Sounds like something out of a whodunnit.

Posted by: alex | September 30, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex | September 30, 2008 2:19 PM

Why do you care?

Posted by: huh? | September 30, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Where's the conflict?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 2:00 PM

Attention, Troll Village, your idiot is missing.

Posted by: geez | September 30, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex | September 30, 2008 2:19 PM

Why do you care?

Posted by: huh? | September 30, 2008 2:30 PM

Because if money or property is obtained through fraudulent or coercive means, it is a crime.

Posted by: geez | September 30, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: geez | September 30, 2008 2:36 PM

Where is the evidence of fraud or coercion? Are there responsible adults looking out for the best interests of the child?

Posted by: huh? | September 30, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

huh?, can't you explain how there could be potential fraud or coercion on the person making out the will when the lawyer is named the beneficiary?

Posted by: geez | September 30, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: geez | September 30, 2008 2:48 PM

Was it the will or the life insurance policy?

Posted by: Huh? | September 30, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

yaaaawwwwwnnnnn

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

It would be highly unethical for Heath's lawyer to be named the beneficiary of his life insurance policy. Lawyers have a legal responsibility to act in the best interest of their client. The lawyer enriching himself at the expense of Heath's child in not acting in his client's best interest. Heath was a known drug addict with mental problems and could have been easily manipulated into signing the documents. There have been numerous cases where lawyers or accountants duped elderly people into naming them the beneficiary.

Posted by: badabingo | September 30, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: badabingo | September 30, 2008 3:04 PM

Evidence?
The law of which jurisdiction?

Posted by: huh? | September 30, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Having the lawyer named the beneficiary of the life insurance would be unethical because a laywer cannot solicit a gift. If Heath had wanted the money to go to the child, he should have just named the child as beneficiary. Or had it to go to his estate and you know, UPDATE HIS WILL. He should have also named an executor for his child's share of his estate given how "trustworthy" his family his on money matters.

Posted by: ep | September 30, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I keep trying to imagine the conversation.

Lawyer: Heath, I think it's prudent that you take out a ten million dollar life insurance policy.

Heath: Well, you're the advisor. If you say so.

Lawyer: I'll assign myself the beneficiary so that I can take care of your affairs in the event of your death.

Heath: Sure. Sounds reasonable.

What?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More like

(Lawyer flips through a stack of papers)

Lawyer: Sign here, and here, and here.

Heath: What is all this stuff?

Lawyer: Oh, just routine contractual b.s., don't trouble yourself.

If the policy was taken out after Matilda was born, there's no reason why she shouldn't be named the beneficiary. If it was before she was born, what was the point? He was a young man with no dependents and substantial earnings. It's just weird.

Posted by: hermespal | September 30, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | September 30, 2008 3:12 PM

Messed up druggie screws up! There's a shocker!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

From the Kelly Osborne story:
'Because of her history of colon cancer she's absolutely convinced it(oral contraceptives) causes the disease. I don't have a microwave in my house for the same reason.'

Posted by: hodie tries to lighten the mood in here | September 30, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

First off why would he name his lawyer as beneficiary when he named his parents in his will? When was the life insurance taken out, before or after the birth of his daughter?

Second, the medical examiner has already determined the cause of death as accidental, how can the insurance company decide otherwise? If that's the case if someone dies in a car accident, they could call it suicide to keep from paying the claim.

I'm no lawyer, but none of this smells right.

On to the snark: I second another poster as to how J. Lo has become so successful with so little talent. I do hope Jimmy and Sarah get back together, they were so cute. Happy New Year to our Jewish celebritologists.

Posted by: Sprinkles | September 30, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"Gurkhas win right to stay in UK"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7644441.stm (with photo of Joanna Lumley and a retired Gurkha)

A group of retired Gurkhas fighting for the right to settle in Britain have won their immigration test case at London's High Court.

They were challenging immigration rules which said that those who retired from the British Army before 1997 did not have an automatic right to stay.

Prominent supporter actress Joanna Lumley said it was a "chance to right a great wrong".

The government said it would now review all Gurkhas' cases...

Lumley, whose father served with the Gurkhas, was one of those leading the campaign...

Posted by: Nosy Parker is happy to be the bearer of good tidings | September 30, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Of course no one can see in this picture why J Lo is famous. She is facing the camera.

Posted by: Red Dragon | September 30, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Nosy Parker, thanks for the update. I'm so glad they got to go to Britain.

Posted by: ep | September 30, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Yay, although as a Gurka I'd promptly apply for US citizenship given how crappy the UK tried to treat them. sheesh.

Posted by: LTL cheers the gurkas and jeers the Queen Mum | September 30, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Yikes. I stepped away to actually do some work and a trollfest broke out.

Why do I care? You're right--in the grand scheme of things this doesn't affect me personally. But this site and the topics herein provide me with a little diversion in my life. They must do the same for you since you spend so much time here deriding everyone else. And I care specifically about the Ledger will/inheritance primarily because of a little girl whose interests don't appear to have been her father's foremost concern.

Thanks, hermespal, ep, badabingo, etc. for your insights on this.

Sprinkles--I have someone specifically named on my life insurance policy who is not the primary beneficiary under my will. It's someone who I want to make sure is taken care of, but won't inherit the bulk of my estate. (And it's not my lawyer.)

As for the insurance company, they do all kinds of things to avoid/delay big payouts. Sometimes for good reasons; sometimes because they're chiselers.

Posted by: alex | September 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse