Posted at 8:33 AM ET, 09/ 2/2008

Morning Mix: Helen Mirren Says She 'Loved' Cocaine; Makes Critical Date Rape Remarks

By Liz Kelly
Tuesday

Headlines: Helen Mirren criticized for date rape remarks; says she "loved" cocaine... Sick Amy Winehouse pulls out of Paris concert... James Gandolfini marries in Hawaii... Jude Law visits Afghanistan to promote peace... Natalie Portman wins humanitarian award at Venice film festival.

Rumor Mill: Winehouse may have brain damage, say docs... Guy Ritchie says Russell Crowe not attached to Sherlock Holmes reboot... Woman claims to be secret granddaughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz... Kevin Spacey snapped getting wild at Croatian party (NSFW)... Rep says Mel Gibson's relationship with Russian musician is all business... Man claims J.Lo and Marc Anthony's dog attacked him... Madonna's dancers, crew set to walk off tour over shoddy treatment?

Say What?
"Think I'm walking stiffly? Yeah, there's a 120-pound actress on my back." -- Alec Baldwin describes one side effect of his re-ignited custody dispute with ex-wife Kim Bassinger.

"We're all drunk. Only onstage can you openly drink on your last night. I'd like to see George Bush light up a giant joint." -- John Mayer closes out his tour on a high note.

Chat: Conservative author and screenwriter Andrew Klavanff will be online at 2 p.m. ET to discuss Hollywood's hidden Republicans and the 2008 election.

---

It's back! Start reading now so you'll be caught up and ready to drop some serious Narnian knowledge Friday at 2 p.m. ET when we discuss the first selection in the resurrected "Lost" Book Club: C.S. Lewis's "Prince Caspian."

By Liz Kelly  | September 2, 2008; 8:33 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday List: Celebrity Snores -- We've Had Enough of These Stars
Next: Campaign Watch: Diddy Obama Blog No. 16

Comments

The pics associated w/the Amy Winehouse link should be labeled NSFW. Yeesh!
My eyeballs hurt.

Posted by: methinks | September 2, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse...

Brain Damage!!!

ya think???

duh!

Posted by: Brutal says duh!!!! | September 2, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

There's something about the words "Jude Law promotes peace" that strike me as odd.

It's amazing that Amy Whinehouse can get out of bed, every other month there's a new medical issue with that woman.

Posted by: petal | September 2, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I think maybe my grandparents were Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman. I remember in the late 60's, they would visit me in my living room....she always wore pink and he was in the military.....

Then again, maybe I'm related to a sheriff from somewhere in the North Carolina. I remember him whistling to me and taking me fishing.....

Posted by: Groovis is another member of the tv generation | September 2, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"Loved"? I get the impression Hellen may still be loving it.

Way to make yourself look good for court Alec.

I wish Mr. Klavanff all the luck in finding them. Afterall, there's James Woods and...ummm.......Chuck Noris...and.......uhh...Ben Stein and...one of the ZAZ guys?

Posted by: EricS | September 2, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"Gandolfini and Lin picked Celine Dion's song 'Because You Loved Me' for their first dance."

I just threw up in my mouth.

Posted by: Groovis is completely grossed out | September 2, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Now we know the secret to Helen Mirren's bikini diet.

Posted by: M Street | September 2, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Jude Law can stop by my house at time to promote peace and anythng else on his mine.

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 2, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't blame Alec Baldwin for his dispute with Kim Basinger. She has real problems. E! did a special on celebs with mental disorders. They said Basinger has agoraphobia and wouldn't leave her house for months.

Posted by: Cleveland Brown | September 2, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Oops, my bad I meant mind.

Posted by: Liss1 | September 2, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Look on the bright side, Groovis. At least it wasn't Larry Hagman and Linda Gray.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | September 2, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

On James Gandolfini's wedding:

I noticed that all the gossip sites referred to her as a model, so I looked her up on IMDB. Two separate roles on the Red Shoe Diaries.

Way to go, James. Way to go.

And the Spacey pix: pretty much confirmed for me what I already knew.

I'm loving the Palin coverage. If this keeps up by next week we'll have news of a love child, a UFO abduction, and the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Posted by: NW DC | September 2, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"Amy Winehouse pulls out of Paris"

Wow. Bad mental image there for a moment.

Posted by: julia | September 2, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Way to stay classy about the mother of your child there Alec.

I loved Helen Mirren's reasons for giving up coke. Yes, you should give it up because it is bad for you. But, if you can't, then giving it up to keep from helping war criminals is an excellent second reason. Her date rape comment just shows she is a different generation.

Amy Winehouse "sick." More like stoned out of what mind she has left -- again.

Again, I would like to reiterate that not everyone on this blog is a liberal. Let's keep the politics over in the politics blog, unless relevant to celebritlogy. Even then, snark the celebrities.

Posted by: ep | September 2, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

As they say in the UK 'Hellen shut your gob hole' re: defining what is prosecutable date rape...

way to start my morning on a grumpy note hrmpf

Posted by: LTL - Mz Mirren is AUF the unsnarkable list | September 2, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Mel Gibson seeing cavorting with gorgeous Russian musician. Hmm...then we WERE right to be suspicious about his relationship with Britney.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 2, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

The only thing I can rightfully conclude about this morning's Morning Mix is that Helen Mirren needs to be John Mayer's next girlfriend.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 2, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Helen Mirren, wow, who knew? I've lost all respect for her. Some opinions (and everyone is entitled to their own), however, some opinions should remain unsaid. And it she thinks she is a little bit cooler to us in the younger generation for revealing her druggie past, think again. Definitely not something to brag about.

JLo and Marc A. need Cesar Milan. What dopes for bringing a known vicious dog like that on a small Gulf Stream or any plane for that matter? $5 million does seem a bit steep however.

And poor Madonna. Good help is so hard to find these days....

Posted by: hodie | September 2, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Dame Helen, maybe you should just stand around in a bikini and not talk.

Posted by: Dorkus | September 2, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Remember this old Post article? Sadly, Helen is probably correct about what is prosecutable in England. Very little justice there for violent crimes against women.

Posted by: Sarabeth | September 2, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

MoCoSnarky brings the first funny of the day!

Posted by: WDC | September 2, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

ANGIEANGIEANGIEANGIEANGIEANGIEANGIEANGIE and her BOOBVIeS!!!!!!!!!

JEN IS WAY BETTEr actres and NEVER could she be FAMUS ENUF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And ENOUFf OF ELLEND AND PORSCHE!

Posted by: luvjen | August 29, 2008 3:29 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Ho-hum.

I guess that "Tuesday-after-a-holidayitis" can strike Celebritology, too.

'yawn'

Helen Mirren tried coke?

Lucy and Desi gave-up a child to adoption?

Amy Whitehouse is brain damaged?

Mel Gibson and Kevin Spacey frolic?

Madonna treats her dancers shoddily?

(huh)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 2, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon,

You forgot the celinedion. And Poland!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 2, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, yeah . . . I forgot:

celinedion and Poland.

thanks

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 2, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Look it up yourself, if you're that interested.

Posted by: to Source, please | September 2, 2008 10:39 AM

Please don't be rude on this blog. Lets all be kind and gentle to one another.

Posted by: Nancy | September 2, 2008 10:59 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

It's easy to be peaceful, mate. Just boff the nanny.

Posted by: possum | September 2, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Everyone says Alec Baldwin is a celinedion-head, but I think it's awfully sweet that he talks positively about his ex in public. I wish my husband thought I weighed 120 lbs!

Posted by: other liz | September 2, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Lucy & Desi love child? I'm just thankful it wasn't Vivian Vance & William Frawley who had a love child!

Posted by: the Other Hollywood | September 2, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Lets all remember to be kind and gentle when posting on this blog. No criticizing people or making mean comments about them. We don't want to get people upset!

Hugs!

Posted by: Nancy | September 2, 2008 11:28 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Today is Salma Hayek's birthday. Can someone please let Salma know that her ardent admirer Sasquatch has a special present that he'd like to give her, in person?

Posted by: Sasquatch looks down and admires his gift-wrap job | September 2, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

PLACED, people, "placed" for adoption! Putting on my adoptive-parent hat for a sec. No one says (or should say) "given up" anymore. Back to the snark:

* Lucy definitely has some 'splainin' to do. The question is what WAS Lucy doing in 1947? All those MGM musicals were earlier, and "I Love Lucy" was later. I mean, the baby kinda looks like Desi Arnaz, but then again, it's a baby and they all tend to look alike until a certain age anyway.

* Kevin Spacey photo -- how can you even tell WHAT he's doing, other than wonder what's with the Choo-Choo Charlie get-up.

* If Alec Baldwin really wanted to insult Kim Basinger, he would've called her a 150-lb. actress.

Posted by: td | September 2, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

To really insult Kim Basinger, he should have called her a "former actress." What has she been up to these days? Poor thing can't even get a reality TV show with a pig pooping in her kitchen (not a euphemism, BTW).

Posted by: M Street | September 2, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Sas, you gift wrapped it? How.....interesting....

Posted by: EricS | September 2, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

td,

thanks for the info. I didn't know the correct terminology.

My niece Claire was "placed" for adoption by her college-student birth mother. Our family has sent blessings to that young women for the past 14 years.

Posted by: Curmudgeon, who is Claire's doting auntie | September 2, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Sasquatch,

Did you tie a nice jaunty bow around your present?

Had you gotten the gift yetzillioned recently? Do you think Salma has any 'druthers?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 2, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

ALEX TREBEK: Liz Kelly, it's your turn.

LIZ KELLY: I'll choose Shared Celebrity habits for $400.

ALEX TREBEK: Shared Celebrity habits for $400. And the answer is, "Cocaine."

Posted by: Sasquatch plays the Jeopardy theme | September 2, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

'Mudge:

No comment

In that order.

Posted by: Sasquatch answers Mudge | September 2, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon, congratulations to you. I didn't mean to comment on your comment -- I was targeting the NYPost in what I said.

Groovis, I love the idea of an "I Dream of Jeannie" parenthood. Sure beats having either of the "Bewitched" Darrens as your father (though I wouldn't have minded Elizabeth Montgomery so much as Mom).

Posted by: td | September 2, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sasquatch looks down and admires his gift-wrap job | September 2, 2008 11:39 AM

Are we to assume Ms. Hayek has some sort of court order that requires you to get a go-between Sas?

Can you sing the song

Posted by: jes | September 2, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jes | September 2, 2008 11:57 AM

****

I don't even want to think about what that would look like.

Posted by: no, really, byoolin doesn't. | September 2, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Sas,

Did you take Justin's 3 step direction? Cutting a hole and you know the rest.

Posted by: petal | September 2, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

LIZ KELLY: I'll choose Shared Celebrity habits for $400.

ALEX TREBEK: Shared Celebrity habits for $400. And the answer is, "Cocaine." Yes, byoolin?

BYOOLIN: What is, "$400? You're kidding me, right?"

Posted by: byoolin's teeth are all squeaky. | September 2, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Good news, Helen! The former Nazis probably aren't the ones making the money anymore. (most of them are dead).

You can return to your fun cocaine habit, guilt-free!!!

Posted by: Amelia | September 2, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

petal - that is one of my FAVORITE SNL skits. I'm laughing as I type....

Posted by: Groovis | September 2, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: the Other Hollywood | September 2, 2008 11:28 AM

I recall reading that Vance absolutely couldn't stand Frawley, to the point that she refused to have to appear close to him in "I Love Lucy."

Posted by: Nosy Parker | September 2, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

td - I totally agree re: the Darrens and Elizabeth Montgomery.

I think the worst tv character to be related to would have to be Ben Cartwright - especially if you were his wife.

Posted by: Groovis pondering the big issues...... | September 2, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to live with Buffy and Jody and have a Butler named Mr. French. I don't think it would be so bad to have Darren and Samantha as parents. Darren spoiled Tabitha so. She didn't even need to twich that little nose of hers to get what she wanted.

Posted by: hodie, also jealous of the Cleavers | September 2, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Based on my baby pictures, I'd say I was the secret love child of Gilligan and The Skipper.

Posted by: possum | September 2, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Groovis,

You're so right! The poor, dear Missusses Cartwright.

Do we know what killed them?

Was it having to enjoy still another un-birthday present from Ben?

I always thought that Hoss's mom probably put up a fight . . .

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 2, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Mudge -

Hoss' mom was the Swedish immigrant. I don't think the Swedes take too much nonsense from anybody. On the other hand, Swedes do have some of the highest life expectancy rates - unless you marry Ben Cartwright.

Posted by: Groovis | September 2, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Groovis | September 2, 2008 12:40 PM

Jessica Fletcher is TV's "kiss of death" relative/friend.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps we'd better look into all of these mysteries:

1. What did for the Missuses Cartwright?

2. Where can we find possum's birth certificate (or was it "lost" during a rescue attempt from Gilligan's Island)?

3. After the Nazi's died, who took over that cocaine ring in South America that supplied Helen Mirren?

4. Does Salma prefer smooth or natural?

5. Is byoolin our new Jepoardy champion?

7. How much does Kim Bassinger really weigh and how much of that is collagen?

8. Who finally noticed that Amy Winehouse is brain damaged and have they removed themselves from consideration for a Nobel Prize?

9. What did Kevin Spacey do to the guy's butt after the photo was snapped?

10. When does Sarah Palin leave for Alaska?

Posted by: Cuarmudgeon wants to know | September 2, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I guess there is no more doubt about which team Kevin Spacey plays on.

Posted by: Cleveland Brown | September 2, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"6. How did the Mertzes travel all the way to California together in the back seat of Lucy and Desi's convertible without killing each other?"

Group sex.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Yet another "dark" Celeb news bit for today, "Mr Voiceover" Don LaFontaine passed away today due to complications from a collapsed lung. He was only 68 - what a loss. I love his voice - he's up there with Alan Rickman and Patrick Stewart who could read a menu and make it sound good. Depending on the entree, I think his reading would have an edgier, dangerous quality. Probably fitting for some of the greasy spoons I've eaten in.

Posted by: longhorn | September 2, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Petal asks:
Sas,

Did you take Justin's 3 step direction? Cutting a hole and you know the rest.

------------------------------------------
Petal, I saved a box with a pre-cut hole for just such an occasion.

Posted by: Sasquatch wants to me Salma open the box | September 2, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I saved a box with a pre-cut hole for just such an occasion.

Posted by: Sasquatch

*****

Uh, Sas:

Your statement seems to imply that you received this box with its pre-cut hole on a similar occasion.

Posted by: byoolin doesn't want to know. | September 2, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps we'd better look into all of these mysteries:

1. What did for the Missuses Cartwright?

4. Does Salma prefer smooth or natural?

5. Is byoolin our new Jepoardy champion?

7. How much does Kim Bassinger really weigh and how much of that is collagen?

9. What did Kevin Spacey do to the guy's butt after the photo was snapped?

10. When does Sarah Palin leave for Alaska?

Posted by: Cuarmudgeon wants to know | September 2, 2008 12:50 PM

i have another mystery:

why curmudgeon lets sasquatch "whack a mole."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

The end of that Madonna article: "If they really think she's about to befriend [her tour crew] and treat them like they're on her level, they're crazy!"

Amen to that! Anyone who saw "Madonna: Truth or Dare" knows that she only "befriends" her dancers and backup singers ("my kids" she called them -- admittedly pre-Lourdes). She holds hands with them, prays, then turns and rips them a new one every time they make a minor mistake on stage.

Then they go back to playing Truth or Dare backstage like nothing happened and keep inventing new uses for Evian bottles.

With that in mind, do Madonna's crew members ("crew members"?! Dear God, I sound like Captain Chesapeake) really want to be befriended?!

Posted by: td wants julie brown to comment on this latest madge development | September 2, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I am the secret granddaughter of Jessica Fletcher & Ben Matlock...

I am the secret great-granddaughter of Mary Poppins and Bert.......

Posted by: Tori Spelling | September 2, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

i have another mystery:

why curmudgeon lets sasquatch "whack a mole
==========================================

No mystery.

No mystery at all.

Sasquatch really knows how to whack.

Posted by: Curmudgeon solves the riddle | September 2, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

i have another mystery:

why curmudgeon lets sasquatch "whack a mole."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 1:35 PM

ahahhahahahaa

Posted by: oh snap! | September 2, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

i have another mystery:

why curmudgeon lets sasquatch "whack a mole."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 1:35 PM

does curmudgeon let anyone else "whack a mole" on her? byoolin? jake e poo?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Easy up on the insults people! My grandpa looked like Ben Cartwright. Wait, maybe that makes my mother his secret love child. Hmmm.

Crap. Does that make Hoss my uncle?

Posted by: epony | September 2, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Sas:

------------------------------------------
Indeed I did! It contained a three-pound wheel of cheddar cheese. Being a green sort of cryptid, I immediately realized that I could re-use the box for an appropriate person on a special occasion. I can't imagine a more special person than Salma Hayek, or a more appropriate occasion than her birthday, can you?

Posted by: Sasquatch caqn tell Byoolin where to get a similar pre-cut box | September 2, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

My favorite part of reading the Madonna article was the commentor who said she looka like Skeletor's tranny brother.

Posted by: jes | September 2, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh lord Sas. Please get the cheesy smell out first.

Posted by: possum | September 2, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

That picture of Madonna, egads! Not an attractive look for her. The local bloodbank phlebotomists are probably drooling over that set of pipes on her arms, however.

Posted by: hodie | September 2, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Please stop attacking each other. Its bringing me to tears!

Posted by: Nancy | September 2, 2008 2:03 PM

Do you think that presenting differing information and viewpoints automatically constitutes an attack, even if it's done factually and unemotionally?

Or do you think that whoever states something first gets to go unchallenged, even if they're wrong?

Posted by: to Nancy | September 2, 2008 2:07 PM

Posted by: to Nancy | September 2, 2008 2:07 PM

There's one born every minute!!

Posted by: Duh! | September 2, 2008 2:10 PM

Nancy = Duh!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 2:14 PM

Nancy is the "secret" daughter of abt and ArmyBrat...........

Posted by: LOL | September 2, 2008 2:17 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm so hurt right now. I don't understand the need for people to attack me left and right on different blogs on the washington post. its mean and insensitive, and i feel like crying after seeing people villify me all over the blogs, for absolutely no reason.

Posted by: Nancy | September 2, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Nancy, have you ever commented on the substance of any of the chats where you post?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Crap. Does that make Hoss my uncle?" --epony

Perhaps. Does your father resemble either Adam or Little Joe? (You may want to review the many hairstyles of Pernell Roberts and/or Michael Landon over the years before answering.)

Could be worse. You could be the love child of Marshal Matt Dillon and Miss Kitty. (Which would make Mr. Phelps from "Mission Impossible" your uncle since he and Matt are brothers, a fact that never ceases to amaze me.)

Posted by: td | September 2, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Smame on us all (myself included) for not coming up sooner with the perfect caption for that Kevin Spacey photo: "American, Booty."

Posted by: td | September 2, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Pernell Roberts had hair???

Posted by: I remember Trapper John | September 2, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"Pernell Roberts had hair???"

weeeelllllllll . . . . sort of

Posted by: Curmudgeon wonders if man-made fibers count as hair | September 2, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Pernell Roberts had hair, back in the days, the Bonanza daze:

He's top right in the picture.

Posted by: Sasquatch sings "I've got a horse and you've got a hosre, Bonanza!" | September 2, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Get a room already curmudgeon and sasquatch!

sheesh.

Posted by: seriously | September 2, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Jerry Reed, a singer who became a good ol' boy actor in car chase movies like "Smokey and the Bandit," has died of complications from emphysema at 71.

His longtime booking agent, Carrie Moore-Reed, no relation to the star, said Reed died early Monday.

Posted by: When you're hot you're hot, and when you're not you're not | September 2, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Jerry Reed, he's got a long way to go and a short time to get there...

Posted by: Dorkus | September 2, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Get a room already curmudgeon and sasquatch!

sheesh.

Posted by: seriously | September 2, 2008 3:17 PM

they already have - thats where sas started "whacking a mole" on curmedgeon.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Ike Pappas, 75, the CBS newsman who reported, live on the radio, the shooting of JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald, died Sunday in Arlington of complications from heart disease.

Posted by: And that's the way it is | September 2, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

whats wrong with this blog? it used to be full of great and witty comments by LOTS of people, not just 2 or 3 "lizards." now, all i see are insider jokes by a couple of people. i guess people have been scared off by the cliquey nature of some of the regular posters.

Posted by: anon for this | September 2, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow, td, I can't believe I never heard that about James Arness and Peter Graves before, but I just verified it on Wiki. Thanks for the bit of trivia.

I think I understand what Helen Mirren was trying to say, but it still makes me sad and disappointed. This is why celebs really need to keep their mouths shut and retain the mystery. Familiarity truly does breed contempt.

(Oh, and they ALL need to stay out of political discussions.)

Posted by: alex reads this blog for educational purposes | September 2, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with this blog is the rash of troll posts cutting and pasting from other blogs and the Nancy BS. Not to mention posts complaining about how rotten the blog has become.

Snark on the pretty and ugly people who have chosen to lead lives in the spotlight and are fair game for our barbs, or go home.

Posted by: to anon for this | September 2, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Helen Mirren "said she gave up the drug after learning that Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie had been making money from the drug in South America."

It's all about Helen.

Coincidentally, I gave up Kentucky Fried Chicken after learning that Colonel Sanders had been making money from the chicken all across North America.

Posted by: td says now it is all about me | September 2, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

"We're all drunk. Only onstage can you openly drink on your last night." --John Mayer

And if I paid good money to attend that particular concert, I'd tell Johnny Boy to give me my money back. Because I would be expecting a good show from a talented musician, not a sloppy performance from a drunk, tired, serial letch who might start slurring at any moment in between sips.

Either he was kidding. Or he's a colossal jerk. Or perhaps both.

Posted by: td wants to scream at the top of his lungs | September 2, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Madonna is an idiot. It's axiomatic that you treat your crew and supporting cast well, generating good will gets you better work and a great environment.

We shot a short film on a shoestring budget and the one place we did not skimp in the slightest was the food--first class catering for the meals and a seriously stocked craft service table. Made the cast and crew happy, everyone worked long hours and overtime for free.

Posted by: hermespal | September 2, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, Amos Moses was a Cajun
He lived by himself in the swamp.
He hunted alligator for a livin'
Just knock 'em in the head with a stump.
The Lousisana law gonna get you, Amos!
It ain't legal huntin' alligator down in the swamp, boy!

Well, everybody blamed his old man
For makin' him mean as a snake.
When Amos Moses was a boy,
His Daddy would use his for alligator bait.
Tie a rope around his waist and throw him in the swamp!

About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Lousisiana
Lived a man called Doc Milsap and his pretty wife Hanna.
Well, they raised up a son who could eat up his weight in groceries.
Named him after a man of the cloth,
Called him Amos Moses.

Now all the folks around south Louisiana
Said Amos was a hell of a man.
He could trap the biggest,
The meanest alligator,
And just use one hand.
That's all he got left cuz the alligator bit it!
Left arm gone clean up to the elbow!

Posted by: Sasquatch sings Jerry Reed | September 2, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Sasquatch = Songster?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Unless you're Amy Winehouse. Then, you can drink pretty much whenever you'd like.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 2, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | September 2, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

She is a mess!!!!!!!!!I seemed to see she had a personal account on hot hook-up club +++DaTeRiChSiNglEs+++for wealthy singles/celebs with her sexy photos. The blog was updated very often. Lots of guys joined in her friend circle there.

Posted by: qqehj | September 2, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse