Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 10/ 9/2008

2008 Celebritology Honors: Amy Winehouse Bottoms Out; Britney Bounces Back

By Liz Kelly

The presidential election may be a month off, but Americans -- at least the ones who read Celebritology -- today learn the results of the other hotly contested, umm, contest: The annual Celebritology Honors, aka The Lizzies. A familiar name again dominated this year's awards, while another managed the very tricky operation of moving from Biggest Train Wreck to Biggest Turnaround. And, with four new categories and the first fan art competition, the 2008 winners were bigger and better than ever. Without further ado, the 2008 Lizzie award winners:

(Getty Images)

Most Admired: Angelina Jolie
Something about this humanitarian mom of six keeps her first in our hearts when it comes to warm fuzzy feelings. And despite continued snarkage from some quarters about "kid collecting" and the ever present Aniston loyalists, Jolie's -- who this year gave birth to twins Knox and Vivienne -- do-gooding off-screen work outshined fellow nominees George Clooney, Oprah Winfrey, Michael Phelps and Celebritology favorite Mike Rowe by a long shot.

(AFP)

Biggest Train Wreck: Amy Winehouse
Another lead pipe cinch with 86 percent of the vote, troubled British chanteuse Amy Winehouse elbowed Shia LaBeouf, Miley Cyrus, Andy Dick and the entire O'Neal family out of the way to take this year's Train Wreck title. And a well-deserved title it is considering Winehouse's year-long debauch -- complete with an album's worth of photographic evidence -- that seems to have effectively derailed her budding career.

But, take heart, Amy. If the trajectory of last year's honoree is any consolation, you could find yourself in a far better place 12 months from now...

(Getty Images)

Biggest Turnaround: Britney Spears
However far Britney Spears (last year's Train Wreck) fell in 2007, she surged back bigger and better than ever this year thanks, it would seem, to some careful life and career management from dad Jamie and, perhaps, new pal Mel Gibson. With a new album in the works and an armful of MTV VMAs for last year's "Blackout" release and, let's face it, a full head of hair, Spears seems poised to regain her pop preeminence and is in the planning stages of a 2009 world tour. And despite losing custody of sons Sean Preston and Jayden James, Brit finally seems to be up to the task of rebuilding her relationships with the boys. Do we miss the old, reliably kooky Brit? Sure, but this is a much happier ending.

(Getty Images)

Datingest Celebrity: John Mayer
Maybe it's because he just can't resist the wonderland that is a woman's body, but John Mayer handily beat out fellow players Kate Hudson, Sienna Miller, Lance Armstrong and the Olsen twins to take the title of Datingest Celebrity. From Jessica Simpson to Minka Kelly and Jennifer Aniston, Mayer seems to have won on strength of quality and not quantity -- after all, Lance Armstrong has a far bigger ex-list. But since Mayer is only 30-years-young, we look forward to several good years of dating drama from this unlikely casanova.

(AP)

Must-Read Blogging Celebrity
Was it the competition or is he just that good? With a scant 29 percent of the vote, Alec Baldwin -- who shares his musings at Huffingtonpost.com -- became the celebrity blogger we prefer to read, beating out fellow regular Web correspondents Rosie O'Donnell (currently on hiatus), Courtney Love, Kanye West and new-to-the-scene Gwyneth Paltrow. Will our online interest translate into book sales for Baldwin's just released chronicle of his custody battle with ex-wife Kim Basinger? Well, not yet (It's currently ranked 1,282 in sales on Amazon.com).

(AP)

Scariest Celebrity Family: The Lohans
Despite Lindsay's nomination as one of 2008's biggest turnarounds, the rest of the Lohan clan -- mom Dinah, dad Michael and sister Ali seem to have dragged down the family average to garner them the dubious honor of being the scariest celebrity family of 2008. (Brothers Michael and Dakota have wisely kept low profiles.) Was it the nightmare that was "Living Lohan" (a short-lived "reality" show featuring Ali and mom) or Michael's continued public slights of daughter Lindsay and girl friend Samantha Ronson? The Lohans beat out stiff competition from the Spears, O'Neal, Kardashian, Cyrus and Hogan clans.

---

(Talia Greenberg)
Enlarge

Fan Artist of the Year: Talia Greenberg

The inaugural fan artist of the year is Celebritology reader Talia Greenberg with her spot-on color pencil rendering of Rolling Stone Keith Richards. The inspiration, says Greenberg, was Martin Scorsese's "Shine the Light": "I saw it at the Uptown and marvelled at Richards' amazing face, especially his wrinkles, which appeared to be a map of his life. I knew I had to draw him and started the piece almost immediately." Greenberg works as a book editor but has also illustrated more than a dozen books, ranging from cats and dogs to U.S. presidents.

As promised, the prize -- a high quality set of plastic paparazzi action figures -- is on its way to the artist.

(Click here for a full breakdown of the percentages in each category.)

By Liz Kelly  | October 9, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Awards Season
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Brangelina Brood Returns to France
Next: Morning Mix: Angelina Jolie Pictured Breastfeeding on Mag Cover

Comments

Congratulations, Talia. The other stuff on display at your website is impressive too!

Posted by: byoolin | October 9, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

jlo gave birth to max and emme. jolie gave birth to knox and vivienne.

Posted by: um | October 9, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Angelina didn't give birth to Max and Emme - that was jennifer lopez. Jolie's twins were Knox and Vivienne.

Posted by: whokilledculture | October 9, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Geesh. Thank you. That's been corrected in the text. So many twins, so few brain cells.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | October 9, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I still think Lance is the datingest celeb. John Mayer seems to at least date the girls for a fair amount of time, Lance just has his flings.

But who am I to argue with the masses.

Posted by: Dorkus who says luvjen got robbed | October 9, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

When speaking of ages, the correct term is "old." We get older as we age, not younger. Saying someone is "30 years young" just displays a high level of PC and bowing to our youth-obsessed culture. John Mayers is 30 years old. Period. Next year, he will be 31 years old.

Yes, this is a major pet peeve of mine. Journalists should not be perpetuated this atrocity on the English language.

With that -- congrats to all the winners. Especially to Talia Greenberg. We like you, we really like you.

Posted by: ep | October 9, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Uhhh, Liz, was the "gave birth to...Max and Emme" an intentional snark? Because the rest of the Most-Admired Jolie seemed pretty neutral. So, why Max and Emme instead of Knox and Vivienne?

Posted by: OrganicGal | October 9, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

eh - kind of predictable if you ask me. I think we need to punch up next years award season with some new categories:

-Fave Celeb Reality Show
-Biggest F-list star (my new favorite phrase from yesterday's post standing for WhoTF is that?)
-Most unfairly treated by the Media
-Biggest ditz

Posted by: heynow | October 9, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, how can you say luvjen "got robbed" when she - alone of the three finalists - got pizza?

Sometimes art is its own reward.

Posted by: byoolin thought everyone deserved to win. And get pizza. | October 9, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

why is the morning mix link not working?

Posted by: why? | October 9, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Why, it's there. Scroll down the page. The formatting is screwed up, so it starts further down the page.

Posted by: ep | October 9, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Yay winners, specially our own Lizard Island artist, Talia Greenburg.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 9, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Talia, great work and congrats, but Liz, I have to complain. She was a professional. I hope the next art contest (and I'm ready for it) will be for amatuers. Judging should be based not just on celebrity likeness and artistic talent, but also on the spirit of Celibritology. In otherwords, it should be snarky. Elias, your Amy Winehouse masterpiece should have been a contender at least, and I agree with Dorkus. Luvjen should have won.

Posted by: anon for this | October 9, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

THANK YOU DORKIS!!! i know mines not as good as tali's and plus the PIZZA smelt reely GROSS! so no one ate it. a FRend was here and WOLDNT EVEN SIT BY THE PIZZA! HE WAS SCared. The pepparazi woud NOT get brown, so i had to put Terry yaki salsa on it. and peeper sauce.Also i used cannyleenee beens for the teeth.
I LUV JEN AND EVERY 1 hear!! HUGS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: luvjen | October 9, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Once I saw the pizza likeness of Ms. Aniston I thought the moniker luvjen must be tongue in cheek.

Posted by: jes | October 9, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"pepparazi"?

There's your problem right there, luvjen. It was a cannibal pizza. Paparazzi *never* brown, since they're often 2/3 slime. Try pepperoni next time, and I'm sure the 'za will be dee-lish.

Posted by: byoolin learned that lesson. | October 9, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

We admire Jolie because of her humanitarian efforts. And here I've been lusting after her awesome body all this time. My bad.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 9, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I voted early and often for luvjen's pizza art, to no avail. Oh well.

I tried luvjen, I really did.

Posted by: methinks | October 9, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | October 9, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey! No hatin' on Lance! He was with Sheryl Crow for, like, forevah. Distraught at the breakup he simply reverted to form by diving off the deep end of the, um, "dating" pool. offering them the opportunity of an experience, rather than just an autograph.

Posted by: Stick | October 9, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | October 9, 2008 12:18 PM

Unless you are 10 years old or younger, "My bad" is an off limits expression.

Posted by: Please | October 9, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WI | October 9, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WI | October 9, 2008 12:44 PM

Wait!! You forgot the co-presidents of the blog's Pretentious Bores' Club -"byoolin" and "yellojk". And don't forget "methinks", who does very little thinking.

Posted by: Come back and get the rest of the bunch of sleep inducers! | October 9, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute, Liz. I voted for John Mayer as "datingest celeb" because he confessed to "dating" fans. Also confirmed by the experience of a friend of a friend down at Virginia Tech.

Posted by: CAB | October 9, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

CAB when you say John Mayer "dates" his fans are you sure you don't mean "sleeps with groupies?" If that's the criteria, there would have to be a whole new category. I heard that Dave Matthews might top that list and I'm sure there are several rockers who are still "dating."

Posted by: oh really? | October 9, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I can see why Talia Greenberg has illustrated a dozen books. She does great work.

Posted by: Even Sasquatch appreciates art | October 9, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

It would be boors who bore you, not bores. While I disagree with your assessment of the commenters I think you really need to finally get this right.

Posted by: jes | October 9, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I think Lance probably lost points in the datingest category once he decided to go back to the bike.

Posted by: jes | October 9, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, word on the street is that bike racers can't have a lot of sex, so I was really surprised. Maybe he caught a disease/parasite/scabie family and had to take some time off.

Posted by: possum | October 9, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Talia, after all the nice things we're saying about you, we'd better not find out that you're the one calling us pretentious Boers.

Posted by: byoolin | October 9, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Er, Boars.

Bowers.

Borz.

And so forth...

Posted by: byoolin | October 9, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

So, Byoolin, if there is a kerfuffle on the blog about the merits of Talia's art, would we call it the Third Boer War?

Posted by: Sasquatch the historian | October 9, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CAB | October 9, 2008 12:59 PM

----------------------------------------------

Coming to a theater near you just in time for Christmas Break. A new documentary by John Mayer: "Tech Grlz R E-Z"

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 9, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jes | October 9, 2008 2:15 PM

No can do. I don't wanna lose my cred.

Posted by: My sister had a baby!! | October 9, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

My son had perfect attendance in pre-school!

Posted by: Yay | October 9, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"I haven't been reading the comments for a long time, now I know why. Signing off for good.

Posted by: WI | October 9, 2008 12:44 PM "

Well, it just goes to show you: Some people bring joy to a room by entering it, and other by leaving it.

Posted by: Bob S. | October 9, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

just thought you'd like to know . . .

"Stem Cells Can Be Grown From Testicles" - Washington Post

(isten for the sound of knees knocking chins as men everywhere clench)

Posted by: Curmudgeon is amazed at what science can do these days | October 9, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Anon, thanks for the shout out.

Luvjen, I did vote for the pizza!

Posted by: Elias Howe | October 9, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least Lance Armstrong has 50 % less fear than the average male. Sorry had to say it...
Ya know, the great thing about the internet is that no one knows you're a possum.

Posted by: possum | October 9, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I know who the possums are.

Posted by: Dame Edna | October 9, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse