Posted at 12:42 PM ET, 10/27/2008

Comment Box: Who is Kerry Katona?

By Liz Kelly

Can you give me a brief update on who Kerry Katona is, why she is/was famous and the whole morning show fiasco? -- Submitted to last week's Celebritology Live discussion

I'm answering this because several readers actually posed this exact same question during last week's Celebritology Live chat and via e-mail. Ah, the power of YouTube, the Web and schadenfreude.

To put Kerry Katona in a context we can understand, she's a less-tattooed version of fellow Brit Amy Winehouse and about as famous in the U.S. as Tara Reid would be in England. She's a one-time pop star with one minor hit to her credit who of late has emerged on England's celeb-reality scene, winning "I'm a Celebrity -- Get Me Out Of Here!" At 28, she's also a mother of four with a well-documented history of substance abuse.

In an interview last week (for those who can get away with YouTube at work) on British television, an indignant Katona appeared to be drunk and slurring her words even while denying that she might have a problem with alcohol. The clip, not surprisingly, became an instant viral hit. Reps for Katona later said she was suffering from the effects of medication to treat bipolar disorder.

Reactions have varied, with some British opinion-makers arguing that Katona is being unfairly targeted for her bad behavior because she's a woman. To which I respond, jolly well right and share this perennial favorite.

---

And now for something completely different: A poll suggested by a participant in last week's Celebritology Live chat...

---

Creative Captioning Winners
Last week I again asked you to do my job for me by coming up with an appropriately snarky caption for the photo at left -- Katherine Heigl and her dog, Mr. Katherine Heigl's Dog (name has been changed to protect the innocent). My four faves:

"..Owe, the caninity!" -- 44west

Unlike McSteamy or McDreamy, McSchnauzie actually manages to get to "first base." -- Curmudgeon

"What is it Lassie? You say my future Emmy chances fell down a well?" -- td_in_baltimore

Determined to put to rest rumours about her anorexia, a confused Katherine Heigl prepares to heed advice to eat a hot dog. -- 7900rmc (aka The Poster Formerly Known as Snarky Squirrel)

By Liz Kelly  | October 27, 2008; 12:42 PM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Jennifer Hudson Offers $100K for Nephew's Return; Body Found Could Be Related to Case
Next: Morning Mix: Amy Winehouse Hospitalized Again

Comments

Question, Liz Kelly:

In what way is "a complete mockery of a reality show" different than "a reality show"?

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 27, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, I think it has to do with whether the participant is playing strictly by the rules, gently bending them, or totally breaking them.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 27, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Does my vote in the poll still count if I just happen to have been banging my head against the wall all morning anyways?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 27, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I am clearly in the minority here, having voted for "No, Cloris is actually talented." The woman has an Oscar! Watching her kneel before the judges the first week was amusing, but then I saw a clip of her doing it again a week or two later (too many times visiting the same well there, Lassie, er, Cloris).

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 27, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Considering "hitting head against wall" is winning, that should say something about our general opinion of reality shows.

The Caption Comments are hilarious. I like the Lassie one best.

Posted by: epjd | October 27, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say, the Lassie caption comment got my vote.

Posted by: pras40 | October 27, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) the videos are "no longer available". I still have no idea who this Kerry Katona is other than a less widely known British trainwreck than Amy Winehouse. Oh well.

I didn't pick the banging the head against the wall option either, td, but rather the producers keeping her for the ratings. I do have to give her credit though when they showed her stretching on a ballet bar, it shamed me that she is twice my age but far more limber. That's what a desk job will get ya. I'm going to the gym after work!

Posted by: hodie | October 27, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see Cloris in "Beerfest"? I thought she was as funny as ever. Gam Gam's summer sausage was hilarious.

Posted by: jelo | October 27, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I'm honored!

Sadly, my celebrity knowledge is somewhat limited when it comes to reality shows -- I have never seen "Dancing with the Stars." This did not stop me from voting, of course, and I went with Golden Girl meets Taz, 'cuz that sounds fun and something to aspire to someday.

Posted by: 44west | October 27, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I picked a boost to the ratings. I managed to catch one of her performances and for a moment wondered how she was still there.

Love the Katona explanation for the drunk appearance on tv. They couldn't go with jet lag, no, she's suffering from a bipolar disorder.

Congrats to the comment winners.

Posted by: petalceleb | October 27, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Slow day Liz?????

The UK's version of Tara Reid????

That's it???