Posted at 11:32 AM ET, 10/30/2008

Crossdressing Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Mmm Mmm Good!

By Liz Kelly

The 'View' panelists in costume for Friday's Halloween show. (ABC/Steve Fenn)

Dear "The View" Producers:

I just wanted to thank you for the best Halloween present ever: the image of a cross-dressing butch Elisabeth Hasselbeck. I realize she's meant to look like Ronald Reagan -- the jelly beans kind of telegraphed that -- but I think we can agree she makes a better Clay Aiken than Gipper in this pic.

Hasselbeck? Reagan? Aiken? (ABC/Steve Fenn)

Hats off for putting this one past her. (Though I'm sure it wasn't too hard to coax her to dress as one of the Republican right's favorite hero.)

I mean, really, surrounded by the elaborate costumes of her co-stars -- Barbara Walters as George Washington, Sherri Shepherd as Abe Lincoln, Joy Behar as Teddy Roosevelt and Whoopi Goldberg as Franklin Delano Roosevelt -- Hasselbeck comes off as a preternatural Promise Keeper who showed up at the wrong studio.

Ingenious.

I can't wait to watch this episode on Friday morning. Maybe Lizzie's look will improve once aided by her bubbly personality and incisive wit, but I'm thinking I'll still look at her and see andro dude. But, in the spirit of the show, I'm really hoping she gets into it with Joy Behar. I've always wanted to see Teddy Roosevelt get all up in Ronald Reagan's grill about an election from the future. Truly, this is theater of the absurd at its best.

Thanks again. BFF forever! TTYL!

- Liz

P.S. Can you also always keep Sherri Shepard separated from the rest of the cast by a piece of cardboard? If audiences tire of the penny, you can design a flat earth -- maybe have some ships falling on to her lap?

By Liz Kelly  | October 30, 2008; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Sitcom for Lilo, Brit and Paris?
Next: Morning Mix: Madonna and A-Rod -- Together Again?

Comments

Am I the only one who sees the brilliance of Sherri Shepherd having the only 2 dimensional costume. Sometimes it's just too easy.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 30, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Who is Sherrie Shepherd?? I don't get to see the View unless I play hookie (and rarely watch it then). Is she the one whom Liz alluded to that thought the world was flat? Where did that come from?? Please humor me as I try to catch up....

Posted by: hodie | October 30, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Sherri Shepherd finally got a penny for her thought.

Posted by: mdreader01 | October 30, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Sherri Shepherd finally got a penny for her thought.

Posted by: mdreader01 | October 30, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

hodie, I can't really do justice to some of the things Sherri has said, so read this:

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 30, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Sherri Shepherd finally got a penny for her thought.

Posted by: mdreader01 | October 30, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't really like the View and rarely watch it (like hodie, it's usually ony when I'm "working from home"), but tomorrow's episode is definitely getting DVR'ed.

Posted by: eet7e | October 30, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

If John Edwards had had his affair with Clay Aiken, the adult offspring would have looked just like Elizabeth Hasselbeck's drag costume.

Posted by: mdreader01 | October 30, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think there could be anything more fabulous than the Dupont Circle Drag Race, but Liz has found it. The View ladies crossdressing as historical figures.

I don't even have the words. Somewhere in heaven right now, Mr Blackwell is shrieking, "Oh, LOOK at her!!!"

Posted by: Bawlmer | October 30, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

It must be weird for Baba Wawa to play George Washington: after all, didn't she have an affair with him?

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 30, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

not related to "The View," but when do we get Henry Rollins updates? Or don't we?

Posted by: otherliz | October 30, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: otherliz | October 30, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Babs looks hideous in that George get-up.

What could she have been thinking, not that the others are anything to write home about.

VYT

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | October 30, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Before the current election campaign season I would have not deemed it possible that Sheri Shepherd's statements were made in earnest, I would have guessed her to be involved in some elaborate Punk'd episode.

But with cooroborating evidence (see one Katie Curic interview of recent weeks) I now have proof that there are individuals who are just that dumb.

I am concerned that this may be a backward step in the evolutionary process...

LTL contemplates a world gone flat and shudders to think it might mean that mountain climbing is going the way of the do do...

Posted by: LTL1 | October 30, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Otherliz, FWIW, the transcript of the Rollins chat is here:

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 30, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dorkus, more than I needed to know but I got it now!

Posted by: hodie | October 30, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I completely forgot there was a fifth person on this show. No wonder I was confused about the flat-earth response to one of my comments yesterday. Thanks, hodie and Dorkus. It's all clear to me now.

byoolin, once again a home run re: Baba Wawa/GW. Scary visual, though.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 30, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Now that I think about it, Elizabeth H's costume would be more authentic if the wig were that bright orange Regan's barber used on the presidential hair.

VTY

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | October 30, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

At first, I wondered why everyone just got put period clothes and hair on, but Sherri got a cut out of a penny. then I realized it was probably her idea. She only knows Lincoln because his face is on the penny.

Is Joy's skin crawling? TR was the Republican Roosevelt.

Posted by: epjd | October 30, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Is Joy's skin crawling? TR was the Republican Roosevelt.

Posted by: epjd | October 30, 2008 1:05 PM

****************************************

Maybe she just didn't want to shave her mustache that day....

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 30, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

TR and Lincoln were Republicans when they stood for honesty and before Republicans stood for selfishness, greed and too much power. ;)

Elizabeth does look like Clay Aiken in her Reagan costume. She is very good looking.

Thanks for the Rollins link.

Posted by: annte | October 30, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Maybe she just didn't want to shave her mustache that day....

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 30, 2008 1:19 PM

No More Bush

Posted by: jezebel3 | October 30, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

BTW, ep, any news from the bar exam people?

Posted by: bmschumacher | October 30, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 30, 2008 12:35 PM

Fellatio doesn't count.

Posted by: jezebel3 | October 30, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Friday November 7. I have a request in to Queen Liz to change the Lost Book Chat. Catch-22 is not a good book to discuss that day.

Posted by: epjd | October 30, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Just read Sherri Shepherd's Wikipedia page - holy misuse of commas, Batman! It's so poorly written one might think she wrote it herself. There's also no indication that she attended, much less graduated from, high school; highest education noted is junior high. Which might explain a few things.

Ms. Walters looks like Billy Crystal's character in The Princess Bride.

Posted by: northgs | October 30, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

ep, our fingers will be crossed for you to receive good news.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 30, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

good luck ep! My nephew is awaiting the news as well.

Posted by: hodie | October 30, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I can see the Clay Aiken resemblance -- though my first thought was more Dennis Kucinich.

Posted by: alykat | October 30, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks everyone. The waiting is the worst part.

Hodie, which state did your nephew take?

Posted by: epjd | October 30, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought at first she was trying to be Stephen Colbert. Unfortunately he
hasn't been elected president (yet) and would never wear a cheesy red pocket hanky.
Basically, this whole idea is too whackadoodle for words. Why don't they just smear all their viewers with honey, tie them to a termite nest and read the "Vagina Monologues" for 12 hours straight instead?

Posted by: possum_pouch | October 30, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

At first I wondered why they were all going as male pols until I remembered this is the U.S.

If they wanted to go dressed as female political leaders they'd have to internationalize:

Golda Meir
Indira Ghandi
Margaret Thatcher
even Gro Harlem Brundtland or Angela Merkel

might have sent a message to the audience of this show, which previously (other than notable Hasselbeck) seemed so pro-Hillary Clinton.

Come to think of it, keeping Hasselbeck as Reagan and having the four others appear as Meir, Ghandi, Thatcher & whoever would have sent an even funnier "message".

Posted by: jqw3827 | October 30, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse