Posted at 11:20 AM ET, 10/10/2008

Doubletake: Early Halloween for Jacko and Child

By Liz Kelly

Some things just never get old, like bagels with peanut butter, "It's a Wonderful Life," or, say, scrutinizing photos of Michael Jackson and his rarely seen children. Which is why I close out the week with the photo below, of a surgically masked Jackson (in the foreground) and 10-year-old daughter Paris, hidden behind some kind of expressionless facade that at once evokes a flood of images -- Lucha Libre wrestlers, the KISS Army, "V for Vendetta" and a funerary mask.

Michael Jackson (right) and daughter Paris. (Splash News)

To put this scene in context (which I'm sure will make it much more understandable to outfit one's child in a fetishy mask) Jacko and his three kids -- Paris, Prince Michael and Prince Michael II (aka "Blanket") are pictured browsing a Los Angeles comic book store on Thursday. According to the photographer, the kids entered the store wearing the masks, but took them off while shopping. Other pix in the series (which we couldn't afford to buy) show Paris and the boys sans masks and one with Blanket sporting what appears to be a rubber Barack Obama mask.

All of which raises some (probably unanswerable) questions: What is life like in the Jackson household -- typical household or neverending sleepover? What effects can long-term mask and veil-wearing have on growing self-images (not to mention skin)? And do these kids have any chance at all of growing up to be happy, well-adjusted adults?

By Liz Kelly  | October 10, 2008; 11:20 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Hollyweird, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Angelina Jolie Pictured Breastfeeding on Mag Cover
Next: Morning Mix: Star Jones Disses Former 'View' Co-hosts

Comments

It really bothers me to see the kid wearing a mask.

Because you can tell just by looking at her that she couldn't stop a beach ball, never mind a puck.

Posted by: byoolin | October 10, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

What with the lightning bolt in the mask? It's like Harry Potter and Michael Myers had a love child.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 10, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Nope.

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 10, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Uh-oh. Blanket was wearing an Obama mask. Don't tell Sarah Palin.

Posted by: possum | October 10, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

It's MJ's kids in a landslide.

Posted by: 23112 | October 10, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I would hardly call that mask "fetishy" Liz, but if you can't have fun at Halloween, when can you? I voted for MJ's kids, though Suri is my runner up.

The other kids have more normal (relative term) and involved parents -- plural -- also siblings with whom to commiserate about their bizarre lives.

In due time, we will see them start therapy and begin writing their own version of "Mommie [Daddie] Dearest."

Posted by: td | October 10, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I hate to admit this, but even with her kooky daddy, Suri will probably grow up to be the most normal out of that bunch. The only saving grace for the Spears' kids is that they are young and won't remember their mother's break down last year. Not saying Brangelina are bad parents, but being dragged from country to country every few days can't be good for providing stability. Of course I voted for Michael Jackson, that dude is nuts.

Posted by: Being Satan makes me sad | October 10, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Define "normal".

I think that Suri will end up sort of Paris-like: totally indulged and insulated from anything resembling the real world.

Britney's boys will probably be pretty typical monied rednecks, like the ones who went to my private high school in the south. (The very best american-made pickups as 16th b-day presents, for example.)

Brangelina's kids have a pretty good shot. They wear hand-me-downs (less entitlement than other rich kids) and eat junk food. The constant moving around will make them different from my kids, but it probably won't destroy them.

MJ's kids... yeesh. We know so little about their lives that it's hard to say, but growing up with an egomanical germ-phobe paranoid with body issues has got to be in the minus column, for raising happy productive kids.

Posted by: WDC | October 10, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

the only kids on that list with any hope are Spears' kid. Mostly because she came to her senses and gave custody to the one parent who is willing to be there for them, not just using them as a publicity stunt.

That mask is downright scary. At what age do the kids look at dad and say "No, I am not putting on that stupid mask again just to leave the house." I mean as skinny and weak as he is, Blanket could probably take him.

Posted by: ep | October 10, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

TD - I think the point is that they are not wearing the masks because its Halloween. It is just a coincidence that its close to that holiday. They always go out in public in masks or veils because Jacko doesn't want pictures of their faces taken.

It makes me so sad to see these kids. I really hope there is someone that is watching out for them.

Posted by: sjcpeach | October 10, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Was that a trick question, Queen Liz?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 10, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Is that even a real poll? Yes Britney's kids will have many issues, Suri will be emetered throughout her life and Angie's kids will be struggling for attention when the broon finally ends around 20 kids. But come on, Jacko's kids have to wear masks in public and have MICHAEL JACKSON as a parent! No contest.

Posted by: md | October 10, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

sjcpeach, I agree. Making the kids wear disguises in public all the time must wreak havoc on their self-images.

Besides, at their current ages, why not just put them in caps and sunglasses? Make a deal with Nike or Ray-Ban -- and help the kids blend in a little.

By the way, has Debbie Rowe seen the kids lately?

Posted by: td | October 10, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

don't we have any comic book geeks on here? I definitely recognize that mask (due to the painful memories of the fanboy ex-husband). I just can't quite place who it belongs to. which makes it seem a little less out of place since they went into a comic book store. hmmm, as if.

y'know, I just can't imagine that they have normal family time at neverland ranch. jacko himself never learned to grow up, so I can't imagine that leads to much of a structured environment for his kids.

Posted by: flutterbyjen | October 10, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

That picture is sad. It's just so sad.

Posted by: methinks | October 10, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | October 10, 2008 11:40 AM

What about the DNA?

Posted by: One night only | October 10, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Really none of them have a chance at "normal" by the mere fact that their parents are very well known celebs.

But since we're grading on a sliding celebutard scale, I'd go with MJ's kids to have the least chance at being "normal."

Because while all the others have their little pecadillos from that cult, uh I mean "religion" $cientology to not spending more than a week in the same location, MJ's kids have been isolated, forced to wear masks on practically every outing, their daddy has been accused & been on trial of child molestation & watched their own father's face disintegrate before their own eyes.

If any "normal" parent had done the things MJ has done to his kids, CPS would've taken them away so fast their heads would still be spinning a week later.

Posted by: Bored @ work | October 10, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

What a fright. Amazing that ADC doesn't grab those kids. On some level, this is abusive. Why doesn't he find someone to take them out wherever. I wouldn't know (or do I care) any of those kids from a hole in the wall. He's a totall freak and is making those kids into freaks. Perhaps he'll die and someone else can raise them and try to reverse the harm he's done.

MJ should've been born sterile.

Posted by: gadzooks | October 10, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

opps - mean ACS, not ADC.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Where is Child Protective Services???

Posted by: ssg | October 10, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson's children must be really emotionally screwed up. The obvious conclusion that a child would learn from this is to think they are so hideously grotesque that they have to wear a mask to go out in public.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Why is she wearing a Lisa Marie Presley mask?

Posted by: soso | October 10, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Well, if Michael Jackson wanted to adopt a child or a pet, there would be some regulation. Unfortunately some one gave him a turkey baster one xmas, the use of which is legal.

Posted by: possum | October 10, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with 1:04. I think the conclusion that the kids will come to is that they are much better than everyone else. Or, more likely, that the world is an incredibly dangerous place, especially for special people like them and their dad, and that true security can only come through eradication of self. I am sure that MJ reinforces message number 1, and doesn't let them believe that they are hideous.

Posted by: WDC | October 10, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

What about the DNA?

Posted by: One night only | October 10, 2008 12:02 PM
=========================================

Help me out here: do door knobs have DNA?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 10, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Help me out here: do door knobs have DNA?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 10, 2008 1:13 PM

Dunno. But turnips do.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

At first as I read "surgically masked", I thought, Oh no, MJ has his kids see the same butcher doc he sees. Glad it's Friday, I need to go home now.

Posted by: hodie | October 10, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Paris' mask looks like the mold that Michael's plastic surgeon uses to create the rubber prosthetics he needs to reconstruct his face.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | October 10, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | October 10, 2008 1:28 PM

Bye!!! Praise the Lord!!!

Posted by: PTL club | October 10, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE Michael Jackson - would pay amounts of money I don't have to see him in concert - but he has issues. He didn't grow up "normal" so how could he possibly raise kids in a "normal" environment?
Brangelina kids won't be our type of normal, but hopefully the parental charity will be passed down.

Congrats on having your son back!! Just up and running from being in bed with pneumonia.

Posted by: bm's $.02 | October 10, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

There's like one website that actually was brave enough to show the close up shot of Jackson's kids with them without their mask on. Washington Post, I'm surprised you guys went with this pic just to startup a gossip poll, you guys are no better than TMZ.

Here's the other site peeps http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1075129/Halloween-comes-early-Jackos-wacko-clan-descends-LA-comic-store.html

Posted by: JEFO | October 10, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but in looking at those children's faces in the picture in the link above to the Daily Mail, there is no way those are Michael Jackson's biological children. I know he looks generally freakish now and has white skin, but he certainly was not born that way. Kids don't inherit your artificial skin color and features. Wouldn't they in some way resemble the old Michael? I know that the mother was caucasian, but really. No chance those kids share his DNA. No chance.

Posted by: Hmm | October 10, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JEFO | October 10, 2008 1:58 PM

Either you didn't bother to read to the endo of the post or your reading comprehension is sorely lacking.

Posted by: jes | October 10, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, it came out during the Debbie Rowe custody fight that Michael Jackson is not the biological father of the older two. It's not known about Blanket -- either parent.

Basically, Debbie Rowe sold her womb for a few million and gave up all parental rights to the kids. She tried to get them back, there was a hearing. Somehow nothng changed. But, if MJ died, Debbie is the only known biological parent of those kids.

Posted by: ep | October 10, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JEFO | October 10, 2008 1:58 PM

Posted by: jes | October 10, 2008 2:23 PM

ENDO of the post???

Posted by: LOL!!! | October 10, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | October 10, 2008 2:36 PM

Is English your first language?

Posted by: Judge not.... | October 10, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"Other pix in the series (which we couldn't afford to buy) show Paris and the boys sans masks and one with Blanket sporting what appears to be a rubber Barack Obama mask."

Posted by: to JEFO | October 10, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh wow, Suri is catching to Michael Jackson's kids.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Suri is catching to Michael Jackson's kids.

I didn't know she was contagious.

Posted by: LOL! | October 10, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

still high water in d.c., i see....

Posted by: b | October 10, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty shocked at how nasty and harsh all your comments are.
No one knows a darn thing about these children's lives. The fact that YOU (aka the media, the public, the damn srutinizers) only ever see these kids wearing masks doesn't mean that they don't ever go out without them. For all we know they could be out every day having fun with their nanny or friends or someone they won't be recognized with.

I'm just sad to see how mean people can be towards individuals they don't know jack about. I guess I just shouldn't wander in the gouhlish tabloid world...

As for that vote, it's downright stupid, I don't know any of these kids or their parents, I'm in no position to be so judgemental. But if that's the game you want to play, fine: I'll say Jackson's kids will probably turn out to be the most normal, humble, kind and level-headed of the lot. There.

Posted by: John | October 10, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

If John at 3:37 is older then the age of 10 someone needs to call the men in the white coats.

Posted by: ANON | October 10, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I think that in a wierd way, MJ's kids have a better shot at being more normal than Suri or the rest of celebrity children. I mean, yes the masks are drastic in effort to hide MJ's kids from the paps. but then think about it. At least he's not pulling a Denise Richards and throwing her kids into a reality TV show. Or better still that MJ's not flaunting his kids to the paps which I think really does screw up a kids life. Where being a guy like him ( as strange as he seems to be) is SOO famous that no matter where he goes (like a comic book store for example!) he has the media following him. Have u guys seen what happens when this guy intentionally steps out? People go crazy! They scream, they cry, the shove things in his direction to sign, they FOLLOW HIM for miles, I mean this guy gets absolutely no peace.
I think that since we don't see them all the time that it's a little proof that perhaps Michael isn't insane but maybe he is a good parent, actually CONSIDERING his kids as more than just a good media tool.

Bottom line is we have NO idea what goes on in there life or better yet what Michael Jackson is REALLY like! I think its unfair to judge anyone of their parenting skills until you've actually seen it first hand. But hey, thats just my opinion.

Posted by: AARTZ1 | October 10, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John | October 10, 2008 3:37 PM

In this instance, we don't know jack-O about them.

hee hee hee

Posted by: Omaha | October 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John | October 10, 2008 3:37 PM

ARe you married to Nancy?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty shocked at how nasty and harsh all your comments are.
..........................................

Posted by: John | October 10, 2008 3:37 PM

It's a CELEB blog, John. The whole point of the blog is to SLAM celebs. This blog does not attract NICE people.

Posted by: The truth | October 10, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Snark. It's not just for breakfast any more.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a crying SMAME that Grace Jones would let Jacko's kids borrow her stylish mask.

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 10, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

And I would say that we DO know something about MJ's stability and therefore what his capability as a parent might be. He had that reporter come into his home and film his life. That was when he said that sleeping in the same bed as a child was beautiful or something similar. We also have seen his face deteriorate before our eyes. And he was found innocent but there are serious indications that he has inappropriate relationships with children.

This goes beyond the Papparazzi life that Brangalina's brood are faced with and beyond the whacky religious beliefs of TC and co. I seriously worry about those kids.

ps. who took over the poll?

Posted by: sjcpeach | October 10, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

The same people who killed luvjen's pizza. I'm thinking Facebook or Myspace or whatever.

Posted by: possum | October 10, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Woah - did my post the other day inspire this article?

Also - am I full of myself?

Posted by: Roxie | October 10, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Did Kat(i)e Holmes get access to a whole slew of computers in order to take the poll multiple times?

Posted by: jes | October 10, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Also, I don't know jack about John so I will refrain from calling him a nancying baby.

Posted by: jes | October 10, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE mj, he's the king of pop. I don't think he's guilty, and if half of the idiots who claim he's guilty actually did their research, they would say the same.

Just cus he's innocent doesn't make him normal though. If you were raised infront of an audience, you'd probably be a little strange too, though.

Suri's dad is weird, and she'll probably end up like Nicole Richie or an Olson or something. Britney's kids are gonna be odd, MJ's kids, honestly, will probably be so scared of being weird they'll be normal, haha. And Angelina's kids will be fine.

Posted by: nuhuh | October 10, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nuhuh | October 10, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I wish I could peek into the crystal ball Nuhuh gets her celeb insights from. Maybe I could use the power of knowing people I've never even met for good, not evil.

Posted by: Islamorada Girl | October 10, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who read this article should know something. IT'S A LOAD OF CRAP! When was the last time you saw a child pick out a mask because it 'evokes a flood of images'? Maybe Paris just liked the mask! Debbie Rowe asked for the mask-wearing because of fears her children might have been abducted (yes she was threatened). The kids' self-images or psyches are not at risk because I'm sure they understand why they wear the masks. As for their skin, well I doubt they're masked 24-7 so they would see plenty of sunlight. So Liz Kelly, my advise is to do some research before you bad-mouth the King of Pop!

Posted by: Jackson is SANE | October 10, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Michael, is that you at 8:49?

Posted by: Peaches | October 10, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

As if the SNL writing team doesn't have enough to work on tonight, incorporating the "abuse of power" findings against Sarah Palin into tomorrow night's skit.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree with ANON, the one after John and before AARTZ1.

Besides, this article has been shortened. Other postings reported than the kids took of their masks once inside the shop revealing their faces, all of them except for their dad. There were even pictures of them of that time without the masks and Paris and PrinceI do have some similar features, as they came from the same mom and "Blanket" who I mistakenly took as Paris as he looked like a girl, no offense, because of the long hair, which mind you is of a dark color.

Posted by: noncy | October 11, 2008 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Back when Jackson was suspected of child abuse, California's children's protective services investigated Jackson's children, and they found the children to be fine. In fact, the report said that the children were intelligent, happy, and well-adjusted. Shocker, I know. LOL. I think the kids will turn out OK. As other posters have noted, nobody will be able to recognize them as they grow older, because Jackson has taken pains to keep their identity concealed. Yes, it's weird that they wear veils and masks, but that's better than the alternative. The worse that will happen is that they will be completely spoiled, because Jackson certainly doesn't strike me as a disciplinarian. But spoiled children are definitely not limited to celebrities.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | October 11, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

LIZ, PLEASE REMOVE SPAM MESSAGE AT October 11, 2008 11:52 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

the same old poor writing! your concern is completely false, this is just crap to please stupid readers... besides, people who know the children have said theyre completely normal and have a normal life... youre the mentally ill not them, im pretty sure of that.

Posted by: angela | October 11, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

oh, and we have seen a lot of pictures of the children without masks, there are a lot of videos on youtube showing them having the normal life the retarded here dont believe they have....

Posted by: angela | October 11, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

c'mon guys, dont take on board EVERYTHING you see or hear in the media. Have your own opinions, i used to think mj was a creepy peddo who made an occasional good song back in the day, but after listening to all his music, understanding the lyrics and watching documentaries and all the great things he's done as a humanitarian..ive grown to be a MASSIVE fan. His kids are going to be fine & i agree with WashingtonDame 9:57AM, As other posters have noted, nobody will be able to recognize them as they grow older, because Jackson has taken pains to keep their identity concealed. He's doing whats best for them, they seem happy and are enjoying their childhood from what i can see.

Posted by: monique | October 12, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

...
...
Posted by: flutterbyjen | October 10, 2008 11:54 AM
===========================

Yep, that is a mask of the Mike Allred character known as Madman (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman).

Yep, I'm a recovering comic book geek.

Posted by: jenbme | October 12, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I think Mickael Jacson is doing what i see as the best he can, to protect his loving kids from the evile men who never wanted him happy.Considering all he went throgh.I believe the kids must be intelligent enogh to understand why their father is doing what he is doing. That its for protection from the evile men .

Posted by: Feco | October 13, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse