Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 10/ 3/2008

Friday List: The Best John Hughes Movie?

By Liz Kelly

A dueling list from me and post.com Movies editrix Jen Chaney

Before there was "Nick and Norah" or "American Teen" or even "Napoleon Dynamite," there was the John Hughes oeuvre of teen movies, perhaps the finest collection of adolescent-angst cinema ever committed to celluloid. Luckily, we were fortunate enough to come of age in the Hughes-ian era, uniquely qualifying us to opine on his movies which were, truly, chronicles of the greatest generation.

I, Jen, recently wrote about a DVD box set that contains three of the filmmaker's best -- "Sixteen Candles," "The Breakfast Club" and "Weird Science" -- and that got me thinking about how to rank the Hughes canon. So, I naturally mentioned this to Liz and we had a shocking, shocking I tell you, e-mail exchange in which we found out we didn't agree at all about which of the films is the most culturally significant -- save for number one.

Liz here and, yes, that's right -- Jen has some kind of unnatural fascination with Ferris Bueller who, let's be honest here, really was the cheesiest of all the Hughes-created characters (more on that below) and she, like, totally undervalues "Some Kind of Wonderful," which was a call to arms for teens like me -- punk girls who still appreciated a nice set of diamond stud earrings.

So, in the spirit of Celebritology Friday Lists, here are two sets of dueling John Hughes movie rankings.

Jen's List:

"The Breakfast Club": In my view, this is the granddaddy of them all, assuming your granddaddy has been assigned to detention with a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal.

"Sixteen Candles": This was the first of the Hughes teen movies, it announced the arrival of an icon named Molly Ringwald and it gave adolescent girls the greatest gift of all: Jake Ryan.

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off": Think of how many times, even in a single week, you see a reference to or hear a quote from this movie. Admit it: You just came from a staff meeting where someone said, "Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?" And contrary to what Liz says below, I think the comedy in this holds up better than the laughs in any of the other Hughes flicks. "So that's how it is in their family." Come on, that's still funny.

"Pretty in Pink": This movie boasts the finest soundtrack of the 1980s that wasn't largely recorded by Prince. Plus, it cemented Ringwald's status as the queen of quirky thrift store fashion.

"Weird Science": Admittedly not Hughes's strongest effort, but it did gave us the line that every guy I know still quotes regularly: "How 'bout a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"

"Some Kind of Wonderful": Yes, it was nice to see Mary Stuart Masterson wind up with Eric Stoltz. But honestly, this only existed because test audiences forced Hughes and director Howard Deutch to abandon the original ending of "Pretty in Pink," which linked Andie with Duckie instead of Blane. I'll still watch this if it shows up on Encore while I'm flipping channels. But my attitude toward the storyline? Been there, "Pretty in Pink"-ed that.

Liz's List:

"The Breakfast Club": I'd like it to be noted that Jen and I can agree on something. Hughes took teen movies to a whole other level here by setting up the archetypes, as Jen mentions above, then throwing them all together where we found out that being a teenager is rough, whether you're wearing ballet flats or Doc Martens.

"Pretty in Pink": Think of it as a more mature "Sixteen Candles." It's basically the same story, but with more OMD in the soundtrack. Still, where "Sixteen Candles" fell back, time and again, on goofy humor ("Girl's underpants!"), "Pink's" Andie was dealing with real problems -- a one-parent household, juggling high school and a job and the maliciousness attracted by being a creative teen.

"Some Kind of Wonderful": While this is probably my favorite John Hughes movie, it only ranks number three in terms of significance. The story line was hardly new (both "Sixteen Candles" and "Pretty in Pink" had pretty well plowed the whole cross-clique love field at this point), but maybe it was something about Eric Stolz's soft-spoken artist or Mary Stewart Masterson's drumming or, more likely -- that one perfect, butterflies-in-the-gut inducing kiss.

"Sixteen Candles": With characters like Long Duk Dong and Anthony Michael Hall's horny geek, Hughes took some of the overwrought emotion out of Ringwald's portrayal of a lovestruck high schooler. But, make no mistake, this movie -- complete with sight gags and wacky parties, had more in common with "Porky's" than real life. It's a movie, though, so that's okay.

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off": Speaking of fantasy worlds, Ferris Bueller's was just that. Despite great performances from Jennifer Grey, Charlie Sheen and Jeffrey Jones, Matthew Broderick's annoying Bueller, with his hideous vest and schlocky "Twist and Shout" kind of ruined the whole thing for me. Blasphemous, I know. But if we're talking about cultural significance, Ferris Bueller (played by a then 24-year-old Matthew Broderick) didn't have much to teach the average teen.

"Weird Science": Jen and I are hardly the target audience for Kelly LeBrock's perfect woman, but the movie deserves inclusion for introducing many of us to the genius that is Robert Downey, Jr. Though the biggest impression it left on me was Bill Paxton's transformation into a gross gelatinous monster.

Agree? Disagree? Share your own rankings below...

By Liz Kelly  | October 3, 2008; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Stone Denies Botox Allegations; Madonna Reportedly Dines with A-Rod
Next: Morning Mix: Amy Winehouse, Scientologist?

Comments

So you *both* snubbed "Uncle Buck" and "Curly Sue"?

I don't know how either of you can sleep at night.

Posted by: but byoolin likes to think it includes loud snoring. | October 3, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Wow. It is kinda hard to rank these movies. They all had messages to those of us just trying to get through the teen years without imploding. And most are still referenced today, even by those waaaaaay to young to have seen them when they originally came out.

Posted by: ep | October 3, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I agree mostly with Jen (sorry, Liz), especially about Ferris Bueller and Some Kind of Wonderful, except there's that kiss in SKoW! 2nd best movie kiss ever! (The 1st best movie kiss ever is in Room with a View. IMHO) Anyway, fun list!

Posted by: tl | October 3, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I hate to disagree with Queen Liz, but at the top of my list is 16 Candles. So here is my list:

1. 16 Candles-The Donger, need I say more.
2. Ferris Bueller-Always a classic.
3. Weird Science-It sparked my interest in science, and girls
4. The Great Outdoors-I love the scene with the 'Old 96er'
5. The Breakfast Club-If only for defining the genre.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 3, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Without a doubt, I think Sixteen Candles is the best of the bunch. I'm still kinda hoping that Jake Ryan will show up one day as I'm leaving a disastrous wedding and whisk me away in his cherry-red Porsche.

Posted by: Stuck@Work | October 3, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Liz, My fav is and always will be Ferris Bueller. Unlike many of the other films in the John Hughes genre, Ferris was a popular kid that we actually liked. Loved his Carpe Diem attitude. Makes me want to skip work and take the rest of the day off. However, note to my teenage son who tried to play sick this morning, I'm on to you!
Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles all run together in my mind. They were ok for me. I did like Some Kind of Wonderful, which is my #2 pick but again it's plot was not much different than the Molly Ringwald films. Been a long time since I've seen any of these.

Posted by: hodie | October 3, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Pretty in Pink takes it for me. Always has. That soundtrack was incredible.

Breakfast Club would have to be #2.

Posted by: boutros23 | October 3, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I think Ferris Bueller's Day Off may be one of the most quotable movies of all time. It is so choice.

Posted by: 23112 | October 3, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see Breakfast Club til maybe 5 years ago, and I hated it. Two hours of unconvincing teens being cruel to each other? And not in the funny way? No thanks. (I felt exactly the same way about Chasing Amy, in case you want a John Hughes/ Kevin Smith crossover.)

Ferris Bueller is my #1 pick, for the sheer escapist fun. And yes, I believe it may be The Most Referenced movie in the world.

Posted by: WDC | October 3, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

1. The Breakfast Club - anyone who was in high school at a certain time can identify with one of these characters. We all really were either The Jock, The Princess, The Criminal, The Brain or The Outsider (can't remember what Ally Sheedy was called). The halls of my high school were teeming with these people and it would have been interesting to see if we could have found common ground if forced to spend a day together banding against a power hungry little man like Principal Vernon.

Posted by: jes | October 3, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I just used a quote from Ferris Bueller to describe a guy in my office.

"He's wound so tight that if you stick a peice of coal up his a**, to wit you'll get a diamond (paraphrasing of course)"

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Uncle Buck should be there.

Here's a quarter. Go downtown and have a rat.....etc!

Making pancakes using a shovel for a spatula! Priceless.

Posted by: Casco | October 3, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Breakfast Club definitely number one, followed by Sixteen Candles. But it's tough whether to put Pretty in Pink or Some Kind of Wonderful last. Think it has to be Pretty in Pink because who in her right mind would ever be interested in that awful Andrew McCarthy. Ick, ick, ick!

Posted by: rs | October 3, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Ferris Bueller... may be The Most Referenced movie in the world.

I think that laurel would go to Casablanca.

Posted by: snap! | October 3, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Great Friday list. I still have to see Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles (spent most of my teenaged years in Europe, so I missed a lot of U.S. pop culture). However, I did see The Breakfast Club when I was a sophomore in high school (any Oakton grads here?) and thought it was dead on, even though I didn't fit into any of the categories.

I worked with a teen youth group a couple of years ago and asked them which movie they thought best portrayed the high school experience. Bar none, they all agreed that The Breakfast Club is still the number one movie when it comes to defining high school stereotypes.

Posted by: Sappho | October 3, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Ferris Bueller... may be The Most Referenced movie in the world.

I think that laurel would go to Casablanca.

Posted by: snap! | October 3, 2008 12:27 PM

Oh, God.

By a landside.

Posted by: One night only | October 3, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Sixteen Candles always has a fond place in my heart because it was the first time I ever heard the F-word. (Yes, I'd lead a sheltered life up to that point) But I have to say, Some Kind of Wonderful is at the top of my list.

Posted by: Amanda Jones | October 3, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Liz -- I know we're in the definite minority, but I absolutely agree with you re: Ferris Bueller. Beyond Ben Stein's classic "Bueller? Bueller?" intonation, the movie just does not hold up. And I agree that I found the title character to be obnoxious and annoying, rather than endearing. I agree with the rest of your rankings as well; "Weird Science" was just awful, and "Sixteen Candles" is really overrated.

Posted by: Delancey916 | October 3, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

1. Ferris Bueller -- holds up the best of any of them. Less dated, and little bits like the "Save Ferris" that keeps appearing larger and larger (and the mounds of flowers on the front porch) make it number one. Plus how can you not love Edie McClurg saying, "They love him. He's a righteous dude."

2. Sixteen Candles -- Molly getting her chest, er, examined by grandma and the hilarious sister in the wedding dress on muscle relaxers (when they throw the rice and she's catching it in her mouth? PRICELESS) make this next.

3. Breakfast Club -- Doesn't hold up as well as the other two, plus the whole premise is so contrived, but I'll admit that three friends and I saw the movie and promptly posed for our own BC photo.

4. Pretty in Pink -- "I just paid a dollar to see your underpants."

The other movies on that list? Whatever.

Posted by: td | October 3, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I will give my rankings followed by my wife's rankings.
1. Ferris Bueller
2. Weird Science
3. Uncle Buck
4. The Breakfast Club
5. Sixteen Candles
6. Pretty in Pink
7. Some Kind of Wonderul
8. Curly Sue

My lovely wife's
1. Pretty In Pink
2. Curly Sue - She loves that movie.
3. Sixteen Candles
4. The Breakfast Club
5. Ferris Bueller
6. Some Kind of Wonderful
7. Weird Science
8. Uncle Buck

Posted by: DW | October 3, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I meant to sign my previous post differently. From now on, you must call me, "Abe Frohman, Sausage King."

Posted by: td aka Abe Frohman, Sausage King | October 3, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Ferris Bueller... may be The Most Referenced movie in the world.

I think that laurel would go to Casablanca.

Posted by: snap! | October 3, 2008 12:27 PM

Oh, God.

By a landside.

Posted by: One night only | October 3, 2008 12:32 PM

What about Gone with the Wind?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The Wizard of Oz?

Posted by: most referenced movie | October 3, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Oops. My number 4 quote was a line from "Sixteen Candles" not "Pretty in Pink." Shame on me. All those Molly Ringwald movies run together for me sometimes.

Posted by: td aka Abe Frohman, Sausage King | October 3, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Sixteen Candles. The best scene, to me, is in Jake Ryan's kitchen long after the party and Anthony Michael Hall is giving advice, mixing a martini, etc...his mannerisms are the best.

And John Cusak as one of his geek friends...loved it.

Posted by: jcm | October 3, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Ferris Bueller... may be The Most Referenced movie in the world.

I think that laurel would go to Casablanca.

Posted by: snap! | October 3, 2008 12:27 PM

Oh, God.

By a landside.

Posted by: One night only | October 3, 2008 12:32 PM

What about Gone with the Wind?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 12:42 PM

Actually, I think it was to be either the Terminator movies (I believe I'll be back is # 1 of most quoted line)
or the Godfather movies "Make Him an Offer He Can't Refuse"

Posted by: MGC | October 3, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

1. Ferris Bueller
2. Pretty in Pink
3. Sixteen Candles
4. The Breakfast Club

Who doesn't love the "Twist and Shout" scene in Ferris Bueller? And how about when Jennifer Grey and Charlie Sheen are in the police station-hilarious! The pricipal, "Ed Rooney" and his secretary are so funny too. My brother used to answer our phone and say, "Ed Rooney's office." And I have been hearing people use the 'Bueller?' line for 20 years! Classic!

The music from Pretty In Pink is fantastic! Not sure why everyone loved Molly Ringwald so much, but her movies were all good in an 80's cheesy kind of way.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

There are just some movies that need to be seen at a certain time, place & age for them to mean something. Those John Hughes movies came along at the exact right time for me.

Although they were prefaced by Little Darlings & a few others, they were the movies OF my youth ABOUT my youth.

My list would start with a Molly Ringwald triumverate:

1-Breakfast Club (I was the Outsider who desperately wanted the Criminal)

2-Pretty In Pink (oh Duckie, you never had a chance against a "major appliance" did you?)

3-Sixteen Candles (2 words-Jake Ryan)

Then move on to Ferris Bueller, Weird Science & then Some Kind of Wonderful.

SKoW just seemed a rehashing of other John Hughes flicks & it was certainly at the tail end of the Hughes "era." It just seemed forced.

I'd most likely replace it with Fast Times At Ridgemont High even though that's not a Hughes flick.

As for the whole Duckie vs. Blaine thing, I've had this discussion before & I freely admit, in her position, I'd most likely have done the same thing.

Posted by: Bored @ work | October 3, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Although I'm old and had to watch these films with my kids, I still enjoyed them. Teen years don't change so much except for the clothes and the preferred drug.

My favorites are, "The Breakfast Club", "Ferris Beuler's Day Off", and "16 Candles" ("Pretty In Pink" was just a rehash).

I also really enjoyed Hughes' "Harry Potter" movie.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 3, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I think it's difficult to decide. I understand "The Breakfast Club" as the pinnacle of the drama, but I related more to "Pretty in Pink" and laughed more at "Ferris Bueller". Plus, I liked Duckie and Cameron way better than Blaine and Ferris. But that's what John Hughes taught us - it's okay to be different. Oh, and the best part of "Pretty in Pink" was Duckie lipsynching to "Try a Little Tenderness". Classic

Posted by: phan | October 3, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

What, no "Red Dawn"? No "Outsiders"? Don't go dissin' on my Ralph Maccio and C.Thomas Howell, now!

Although, "Sixteen Candles" IS the end-all, be-all. Michael Scheffer, mmm, mmm, mmm.

"WOOOOOLVERRRRRIIIIIIIIIINES!!!!"

Posted by: e-squared | October 3, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The first time I ever watched Pretty in Pink with my daugther, who was 14 at the time, her only comment at the end was "I would have chosen Duckie" - and true to form, she has never been a girl to bring home a Blaine. Which, in the end, is fine with me.

Posted by: jcm | October 3, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Ferris Bueller is still huge in Chicago. Almost everyone of a certain age has some connection with the movie. When I lived in Chicago, a former coworker told me that the marching band scene in Ferris Bueller was her high school marching band. I think she's in with the flutes somewhere. And the friend of another friend appeared at the very end of the movie (says he's someone from Skokie--sorry I can't remember the line correctly).

Posted by: Sappho | October 3, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I know this is actually a Best John Hughes Teen Movies list rather than just a Best John Hughes Movies list but if you include all of his films then Planes, Trains and Automobiles would definitely contend with Breakfast Club for the top spot (and Uncle Buck would sure as heck rank higher than Weird Science).

Posted by: Charlie | October 3, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Grandma Helen: Oh Sam, let me take a look at you. Fred, she's gotten her boobies.
Grandpa Fred: I better get my magnifying glass. Ha Ha Ha.
Grandma Helen: Oh, and they are so PERKY.
[reaches to cup them]
Grandma Helen: [cut to:]
Samantha: I can't believe my grandmother actually felt me up.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Posted by: Caroline | October 3, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Just One of the Guys!

Posted by: smiff | October 3, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

1. Breakfast Club
2. Ferris.
3. 16 Candles
4. Weird Science
5. Pretty in Pink (which mirrored my own tragic teenage romance. I chose Blaine and even though he broke my heart, at least he didn't come out of the closet later like my Ducky did. And it started my life long crush on James Spader.)

Never liked SKOW.

Also, without Ferris, would we have ever gotten Max Fisher from Rushmore? I think not.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 1:31 PM

*****************************************

Also without Ferris, we never would have gotten the band Save Ferris.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 3, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

When I was teaching high school, the 10th and 11th grade girls were just discovering these movies. '16 Candles' and 'Breakfast Club' were the favorites.

When I saw 'Ferris Bueller,' I had to take my younger sister with me. The part she, of course, remembered with my parents later was the rhyming nurse.

Posted by: mouse | October 3, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

EEEEEEK!

I'm sorry - Chris Columbus did the "Harry Potter" I mistook for John Hughes' film.

Posted by: Curmudgeon gets 100 strokes with the wet noodle | October 3, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Everyone who sees "The Breakfast Club" now is going to hate it. The thing that is missed here is that all these movies are generational and moments in time. Who listens to Simple Minds anymore beside me? My nieces and nephews, who are still in high school, consider Guns-n-Roses classic rock.

The overriding theme in all of these movies is that we can, by twist of fate, step out and up in our respective cliques to be among the beautiful people that we all wish to socialize with until we realize everyone's lives are as empty and unfulfilling. Grass is always greener, right?

"The Breakfast Club" is the best movie because we have to believe that Claire, Bender, Andy, Allison and Brian were still friends on Monday and the bond they formed in the library survived and they did not succumb to the peer pressure. In all the other Hughes movies, our protagonist achieved what they wanted and everything was OK and it turned out alright. "The Breakfast Club" is the only movie that deserves a sequel but will never get one because no story could appropriately follow. It is the ultimate classic.

Posted by: Kerminator | October 3, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

definitely agree with tl about "room with a view" having the best movie kiss ever. what do you think, upcoming friday list topic?

Posted by: RB | October 3, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

1. Sixteen Candles - The first is the best before he took himself too seriously.
2. Breakfast Club - Great actors, great story. A single set. Masterful film-making
3. Ferris Buehler - Still funny today. The ultimate day-ff fantasy.
4. Pretty In Pink - Just too stylish and over-wrought. And Duckie should have gotten the girl.
5. Everything Else - Schlock passing on name value.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 3, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm with the minority that loved the movie but found little about Ferris to admire--especially how shockingly selfish he was regarding his best friend and the car.

I never could stand Blane -- McCarthy was SO wooden in that movie. But Duckie was adorable. And Annie Potts practically walked off with that film.

Still have a soft spot for 16 Candles for almost all of the reasons cited previously. Jake Ryan. Ultimate fantasy--the coolest, best looking guy in school is actually genuinely a good guy.

Movie kiss that stays with me always is the first kiss for Linda Hamilton and Michael Beihn in the first Terminator movie right after he's told her he came across time for her and that he loves her. Considering it's a first kiss ever for him, it's intense.

Posted by: hermespal | October 3, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...I would agree about The Breakfast Club being numero uno. "Go fix me a turkey pot pie" is a term of endearment in our house.

But I have a soft spot for Ferris Bueller too. And td, I'm totally feeling your Abe Frohman vibe.

Along those lines, I think Liz should amend this list to include what John Hughes movie bits you continue to relive in your day to day life. For example have you ever made a reservation under Abe Frohman? *ahem*

Posted by: rachelt | October 3, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I think the brilliance of Breakfast Club is the ending. No one "has to" believe that the group holds onto the connections that it made. I mean, really...cliques are cliques, and no matter how engaging the interaction is, things probably went back to the status quo the next day. That's the realistic part that I like about the movie.

And the Pretty in Pink soundtrack is in my car and knowing it is there and the weather is so beautiful and I want to leave work is making me craaaazy.

Posted by: You Can Find Me Left of Center | October 3, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Pretty in Pink: for the James Spader. I mean, I know I'm not supposed to lust after the jerk, but there it is. Plus I get to continue that Spader-lust with Sex Lies and Videotape, White Palace, and The Secretary.

B-fast Club-Cruel yes, but thats how we all treated one another.

Sixteen Candles--"Doooong. Where is my au-to-mo-beel?"

Posted by: jelo | October 3, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Black and white would really capture the moment. . . ."

Posted by: rickNmd | October 3, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

These are John Hughes teen movies, not just any teen movies. Get with the program, please.

Posted by: to e-squared | October 3, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"No more yankee my wankee!"

Posted by: jelo | October 3, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Most quoted movie | October 3, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

NEVER understood Molly Ringwald's appeal. But I love "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" - specifically, Cameron Frye. Throughout high school I was deeply in love with Cameron, and regularly fast-forwarded through the movie just to sigh over my favorite oddball. I always wanted a sequel, to see what happens "when Morris comes home."

Posted by: Maritza | October 3, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

As someone who grew up in an urban area (read: ghetto), it was good to see that rich white kids in the 'burbs had it just as bad as we did.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Sigh.

The only two movies on the lists (including the ones added in comments) that I've seen are Ferris Beuller (which I loved) and Weird Science (which I also loved - OK, so I was a nerd instead of a cheerleader).

Oh yeah - I may have seen Pretty in Pink, because some of the scenes people describe sound familiar, but it was probably (as Curmudgeon puts it) under the influence of the currently "preferred drug" of teens of the time...

Obviously I need to update my Netflix queue.

Posted by: schnitz | October 3, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look once in awhile, you could miss it.
-Ferris Bueller

Posted by: hodie | October 3, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Bueller...Bueller...

Posted by: Dorkus | October 3, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

How can I possibly be expected to work on a day like this?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh this reminds me! I took a trademark/patent law class in law school that was very large. The teacher was, without exaggeration, one of the dullest people on earth. He used a seating chart and called on people to answer questions...see where this is going? Someone put Ferris on the chart and he got called on several times that semester, but oddly, never answered. Unfortunately, Prof. Dullsville called on people by both names, so he never did say "Bueller...Bueller?" There were some other character names on that seating chart too, but Ferris was the funniest.

On topic - Breakfast Club. All others pale in comparison.

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 3, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Notice I said "quotable", not "referenced." And then I proceeded to QUOTE Ferris. Maybe "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" has been said more, but I bet more people (of a certain age, maybe) use more lines from FBDO on a more regular basis. That's what I meant by quotable. Have a look. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/quotes

Posted by: 23112 | October 3, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I spent many a Saturday afternoon watching Pretty in Pink. Despite Andrew McCarthy's odd, stiff wig in the final scene, I still love that movie. I see references to it in modern TV. Will and Grace's Jack is just an older Duckie. There would be no Chuck Bass on Gossip Girl without James Spader.

After Pretty in Pink, I have to pick Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller and Sixteen Candles.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

A man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile.

Posted by: 1961 Ferrari 250GT California | October 3, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd still have to bum rides off people.

Posted by: I could be the walrus. | October 3, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

________________________________

That remark about Uncle Buck and Weird Science is so absurd, I don't even have a response. Please remove thy head from thy nether regions.

And don't forget about Vacation.

Posted by: to Charlie | October 3, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I saw Ferris Bueller at a preview a week before it opened. When we left the screening, my friend turned to me and said "That's a movie that knows it is good." Plus we got these great Ferris Bueller posters of Ferris reclining and "LEISURE RULES" plastered at the top. I laminated and still have it somewhere. It is not only the best "play hooky" movie, but it is one of the best Chicago movies (The Loop, Lake Shore Drive, Art Institute, Wrigley Field) and yes, very quotable. And Charlie Sheen is great in it too in his small part.

There is no other Hughes movie that comes close. After seeing Breakfast Club I was hoping Jason from Friday the 13th would come in and chainsaw these self-centered twits.

Posted by: Ian F. | October 3, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

To the Kerminator -- I totally agree with your assessment. BC would be tops on my list of John Hughes movies. I've always wanted to know - what the hell happened on Monday morning??? Thank you for putting into words what I've been wondering about for 20+ years!!!!

Posted by: Forever a Shermer High School Fan | October 3, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Guess I'm the only one, but... Some Kind of Wonderful is the only one I liked. I have quite a soft spot for it actually. All the other Hughes flicks just never felt right... Weird Science and Ferris Bueller are just dreadful. And that terrible Alison-makeover thing in The Breakfast Club. Yuck... But I admit it is important for having started the genre...

SKoW isn't the height of realism either, but, overall, it's probably the least cheesy Hughes film and Watts and Keith (and the supporting characters as well) are the most likable characters Hughes created.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot Sixteen Candles in my comment above! If I'm remembering this correctly, The A.M. Hall character RAPES that girl. Intercourse with an unconscious person - good clean teenage fun...at least in Hughes's mind..

Posted by: daniel | October 5, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I have the perfect website for you that I stumbled across - www.filmcrave.com - you can actually create your own custom John Hughes list. That's where I made mine.

Posted by: Jerey Spanick | October 5, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

1. Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club tied for the lead.
3. Pretty in Pink. Yes, I know, most of Molly Ringwald's characters are interchangeable, but come on, at the prom when Blaine walks up and says, "I love you. I'll always love you." GO GET HIM ANDY!!!
4. Weird Science. Gary, you told me you were combing your hair!
5. Some Kind of Wonderful. I just love Eric Stoltz.
Ferris Bueller is at the bottom of my list. Never really did like it.

Posted by: rbsesq | October 6, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse