Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 10/22/2008

How Webby is William Shatner?

By Liz Kelly

If figuring out how to post videos on YouTube and recruiting your daughter to indulge your self-absorbed bugaboo with a guy who co-starred on a show with you 40 years ago, then he's, like, Sergey Brin in a fat suit.

What am I talking about? Shatner, who seems to leap at every opportunity to shore up at his status as a cultural (if kitschy) icon, this week delighted his small army of YouTube followers and gossip bloggers tired of boring celebrity voting PSAs with yet another digital diary -- all part of his mission to "share his life with you and take cameras where they have never been allowed before."

In the latest installment, he spends three-plus minutes talking about why he was left off the guest list for former "Star Trek" co-star George Takei's recent wedding. Takei, says Shatner, must be suffering from some kind of "sickness" or "psychosis." What else could possibly account for the ill will?

Is this Shatner's latest attempt at deadpan humor? Or, and this is a distinct possibility, is he just that self-involved? Enh. It doesn't really matter. Either way, Shatner's videos make for good time-wasting entertainment. And not just because of the controversy which he seems bent on stirring up -- to varying levels of success -- but because we get to see the puffy, sassy Shatner (somewhat) unscripted.

We're invited into Shatner's office, where the aging actor is surrounded by pictures of himself and prompted by daughter Liz (no relation), who seems to be of age and fully functional but yet spends her day asking her dad vapid questions and posting the results to YouTube. I picture them settling into the couch each evening for a couple of episodes of "T.J. Hooker" and a dramatic reading of "TekWar."

Keep 'em coming, Bill. Though nothing, thus far, lives up to the haute camp of Shatner's 1978 live performance of Elton John's "Rocket Man." It's boozy, smoky perfection.

Oh, rocket man, you just never get old.

By Liz Kelly  | October 22, 2008; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, How Webby is...
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Britney Spears Off the Hook in Driving Case
Next: Morning Mix: Madonna and Guy Ritchie Continue Public Sparring

Comments

Liz, thank you for the Rocketman clip. It always makes my day.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 22, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

[shakes fist at sky]
SHATNER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: byoolin T. Kirk | October 22, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Mine too, Dorkus. Mine too.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | October 22, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

It's Shatner's world, he just lets us live in it. And he apparently will have us committed for not worshipping him enough.

Posted by: ep | October 22, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

And he apparently will have us committed for not worshipping him enough.

Posted by: ep | October 22, 2008 11:52 AM

*******************************************

Speak for yourself ep.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 22, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Should you want to see why, perhaps, Shatner went gunning for Takei, take a look at the Comedy Central roast last year. Takei was hilarious, fabulous, and sharp enough to cut.

"Bill, you are a rich, gooey devil's food cake that I want to drop my face into and go BBBBBBBBBB!"

I wuv Mr. Takei.

Posted by: Bawlmer | October 22, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

In Shatner's interpretation of Rocket Man, I see the origins of the Priceline Negotiator.

It takes a special actor to over dramatize the act of smoking s cigarette.

Liz, did you get a vicarious smoker's high from watching Shatner's performance?

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 22, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"I didn't know the man! He came on the set occasionally...as evidenced by the character he played...but I didn't know him!"

Posted by: Sully is amused | October 22, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Would love to hear him do a reading of "You Shook Me," or maybe "Sweet Jane."

Posted by: rashibama | October 22, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

When I saw this earlier, I thought how could Liz Kelly not have mentioned this, but I see you had bigger and better things in mind. Good job, LK.

Posted by: jake e. poo | October 22, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

speechless, rock it man, speechless

Posted by: rachelt | October 22, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"Is this Shatner's latest attempt at deadpan humor? Or, and this is a distinct possibility, is he just that self-involved?"

I actually think it is both. I think he has a massive ego, but I also think he knows it and loves to make fun of himself.

Posted by: CJB | October 22, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Also, happy birthday Sasquatch! Scarlett Johansson will be at your door momentarily, followed by a gleeful byoolin.

Posted by: Bawlmer | October 22, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

A three-way made in heaven...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I heard Takei speak at a Star Trek Con recently, and he said quite clearly that Shatner was invited. The "not invited" thing was because they had a very long list of potential guests and limited space (a problem most brides could sympathize with) and at the time of the interview had not yet figured out who made the cut. So, they said Shatner was on the "long list". That got out as "not invited".

I love that Rocket Man clip. Never gets old. But the Family Guy version was the best.

Posted by: DC Cubefarm | October 22, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I swear I have read the first sentence of this post 10 times and it still does not make any sense...maybe I need more coffee.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer, thanks for sending over ScarJo. I take it that she is serious about the open nature of her marriage with Ryan Reynolds.

Byoolin, put DOWN that camera!

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 22, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bawlmer | October 22, 2008 12:43 PM

A three-way made in heaven...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 12:50 PM

******

Sas and I can always drink away the memories of seeing each other naked later. But right now, Scarlett needs us. (Liz, can we link to a picture?)

Posted by: byoolin takes one for the team. | October 22, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

And while we're at the jpg linking game, Halle Berry, too!

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 22, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Rocket Man...oh my god..hilarious.
Let's get Stephen Colbert to do it next!

Posted by: possum | October 22, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god. You mean Shatner and Takei are real people with real human feelings and foibles? No. Can't be. Liz, say it ain't so.

Oh, you didn't.

Posted by: old_hippie | October 22, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh my. Has Shatner ever been to Junior High school? He'd fit right in with my daughter and friends - analyzing endlessly over something meaningless.

Posted by: Amelia | October 22, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Amelia | October 22, 2008 1:51 PM

Pot meet kettle.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

If having to register reduces the frequency of appearances of the character string "Pot meet kettle," I can live with it.

Anyone want to know what the response to this post will be? See referenced character string.

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 22, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 22, 2008 2:13 PM

Your wish is granted.

Posted by: Back to the Achenblog | October 22, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Did the troll really leave, is it safe to come out again?

Posted by: Dorkus | October 22, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

snark all you want but how many people worked with a bikini wearing Heather Locklear?

Posted by: just sayin' | October 22, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

The rocket man clip is utterly, flabbergastingly, amazing. However even more utterly, flabbergastingly, amazing is the Chris Elliot imitation clip. He doesn't even have to exaggerate.

Posted by: Paul | October 22, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I like Stewie Griffin's Shatner Does Rocket Man best. Now all we need is a posting of Leonard Nimoy's "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins".

Wait. . .here's a link

Posted by: jelo reveals her trek love | October 22, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I have to second the Family Guy Rocketman.

Stewie Griffin impersonating William Shatner performing Elton John's Rocketman. Now, that's some good stuff.

Posted by: M Street | October 22, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

For some reason the IT nazis at work won't let me see the videos but I'm quite sure I've seen something like it.

Yeah, Shatner has a huge ego but nonetheless I like him because he pokes fun of himself. We all now use the phrase "Mamby-Pamby" with regularity around here because of him, as in "Hey Troll, quit with the mamby-pamby insults and give us some real celebritology snark if you can".

Posted by: hodie | October 22, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I have given Shatner/Nimoy CDs as gifts. I'm not sure my humor was fully appreciated by the recipients.

Posted by: alex | October 22, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Don't go running back to the Achenblog, Anonytroll. We've got user registration already.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 22, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Amelia | October 22, 2008 1:51 PM

Pot meet kettle.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 2:07 PM

Anon - you are so clever! Great response! I am impressed with you, and thrilled that you recognize my ability to endlessly analyze something meaningless - like, why you post messages???

Hmm...because you are insightful and interesting? (I'm going to have to consider that one for a while!)

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget that evergreen, "Interesting moral compass."

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

With a $150k paid-for wardrobe that puts her in B-List celebrity territory, I think we can now snark Sarah Palin....her fashion sense, anyway. The Fix can handle her politics.

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 22, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Your wish is granted.

Posted by: Back to the Achenblog | October 22, 2008 2:45 PM

-------------------------------------------

Well, hell-lo, ScarJo!!!

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 22, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Sas, Halle was getting ready to head over until she saw your last post. She's now weeping quietly in the corner.

Posted by: jes | October 22, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we once drove around town with "Spaced Out" blaring on the stero w/ windows down. I'm not sure the drug-addled resident drivers in my fair city appreciated it, either.

Posted by: possum | October 22, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Oops. Sorry. Stero is not what you listen to, but what you become if you listen to too much Shatner.

Posted by: possum | October 22, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Your wish is granted.

Posted by: Back to the Achenblog | October 22, 2008 2:45 PM

Bitter much?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Stero = bouillon cube brand?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jes | October 22, 2008 4:27 PM

--------------------------------------------

Halle, please come over to my cave, and let us weep tears of joy together!

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 22, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

There is no malice in Shatner's words, he's simply assessing decades of spontaneous venom from Takei.

Posted by: Tux | October 22, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Shatner has an ego, but for Takei to continually bash him over the years is a bit weird.

Over close-ups? Over acting like a king on the set?

Just seems petty to me. Sulu's role was supporting and had a fraction of screen time compared to Kirk, so what did he expect?

So I can see his point about Takei's continuing digs after 40 years. It says something Shatner that he isn't bitter about it.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 23, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse