Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 10/ 6/2008

Miley Cyrus's Bittersweet Sixteen

By Liz Kelly

In the crush of controversy that surrounded Miley Cyrus over the past 12 months -- the overpriced concert tickets, that Annie Leibovitz Vanity Fair spread, the cell phone pix, the ill-advised YouTube videos -- we may have lost sight of an important fact. That Cyrus is, in the grand scheme of things, a baby. A self-possessed somewhat media-savvy baby, sure, but still tender, still tentative and definitely not yet capable of fending for herself. (And, since we nominated Miley for Biggest Train Wreck in this year's Lizzies, we get a rap on the knuckles too.)

Which is why I felt a little verklempt when I read about Miley's 16th birthday bash at, of course, Disneyland. Because not content to let this girl -- excuse me, I mean child -- celebrate this milestone with a modicum of privacy, she was instead costumed, handed a mike and pushed on stage to perform four songs to an audience of paying ticket-holders.

Miley Cyrus performs at her Disneyland birthday celebration/concert. (Reuters)

"Miley is really hard to surprise," dad Billy Ray Cyrus told the Associated Press. I'm sure that's true, especially when the guest of honor is tasked with making good on those $250 tickets.

I'd like to think that like TV alter ego Hannah Montana, Miley's got someone in her corner with her best interests at heart. But this Sweet 16 spectacle, more than all the low level scandals that have dogged Miley for the last year, is proof positive that her management -- aka her parents -- have little in the way of judgment and even less regard for their daughter's well-being.

At the worst, she's been set on a path that will lead her dangerously close to the troubled route taken by Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, both once Disney-groomed teen sensations, too. At the best, Miley's been taught from an early age that egomania is a virtue and, as former "Brady Bunch"-er Christopher Knight said in an interview last month, (and I paraphrase): kids who grow up thinking they are the center of the universe can have a real problem coping when that attention suddenly, inevitably, evaporates.

According to the article that accompanied Miley's Vanity Fair spread (linked above), the teen star is, "on track to be worth $1 billion by the time she’s 18." Hard to walk away from -- for parents and for 16-year-olds who have been taught that cash is king. When the VF interviewer asked if Miley was nervous about the fortunes riding on her she replied:

"I don’t get shaken or stirred up over anything. Which can be a problem sometimes. I'm just, like, so no emotions."

Right. That sounds normal for a 16-year-old girl.

By Liz Kelly  | October 6, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Miley Cyrus
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Amy Winehouse, Scientologist?
Next: Morning Mix: Watch Out Ladies, Duchovny Leaves Rehab

Comments

"shaken or stirred"...?

Please don't let her be turning to martinis for help. Although I do have to wonder if growing up with Achy Breaky dad helped her prepare herself a little more for the business side than, say, a Britney would have?

Posted by: 23112 | October 6, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

That does stink. They couldn't have a private party for her with just her friends? If she has any since she is always working. Everything doesn't have to be about publicity or making money. The childhood stars who survive are the ones who are allowed to have normal childhood activities -- like Sweet 16 parties that are not paid performances.

Posted by: ep | October 6, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I bet if Alec Baldwin were her dad, things would be a whole lot different.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

HMMM. Liz, please realize this was a "pre birthday bash." Miley's real birthday is in November (the 23 to be exact) and that will probably be sold to ticket holders as well.....

Posted by: Ariabob | October 6, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

She needs to Botox her pits.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I don't work on my birthday or during the pre-birthday celebrations. I guess when the paycheck comes from the mouse (Disney's not ours) and your parents want new cars you have to work.

Or maybe she's trying to fill her contractual obligations so she can get away from Disney quicker.

Posted by: petal | October 6, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

You're correct, Queen Liz, Miley is a child.

It's getting harder and harder for me to snark on her, however. Probably because I see her failing at being a "normal" teenager and suceeding too well at being a money machine.

She's a CHILD, fergawdsakes!

Too bad the grownups responsible for her well-being can't remember this (and I don't care how much she luvs performing . . . ).

Posted by: Curmudgeon writes-off Miley | October 6, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Cut me a break. It's all about money, vanity, greed, and self-absorbing ego.

Her dad was a no-talent bum who rode to fame on a nauseating song ("Achy Breaky Heart"), and now she's doing the same thing. She can't sing, and she can't act. They were awful together on the country music awards show they hosted.

Wake up. They are riding this for all its worth. Will it destroy her? Maybe. But she knows what she's doing. I do NOT see her as a "baby" at all.

Posted by: max | October 6, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Duck & cover lizards!

Posted by: jes | October 6, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

With all the money she makes, why the need to make her fans pay $250/ticket? Why not to a lottery or some sort of prize drawing? Oh yeah...I remember now. She's just a Disney Cash Machine. She and her folks know EXACTLY what they are doing. As much as they want to us all to think they are just "folks". They are GREED personafied. And their kids are the lambs to be sacrificed.

Posted by: Breanna Babe | October 6, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

She's not pregnant yet?

Posted by: Nichard Rixon | October 6, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

its nce to know that the media hacks will never run out of mindless trivia for the mentally deficient

Posted by: dave | October 6, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I know if my dad look as hott as billy ray i wouldn't have minded the incest

Posted by: Brittney Spears | October 6, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

this was for charity do some research

Posted by: jesus | October 6, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dave | October 6, 2008 12:29 PM

Copy that!

Posted by: Trivia, indeed | October 6, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

This is traditionally Gay Week at Disneyland. Does that mean Miley or Hannah is coming out of the closet?

Posted by: WhoDaWhat? | October 6, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Geez, Billy Ray shouldn't wait until Miley's 18 to reap the billions. He could just sell her to the Sultan of Brunei ( or similar cash rich dude) right now. With this economic downturn, it might be a good idea to get that money fast.

Posted by: possum | October 6, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be totally awesome if both of them were gay and Miley and Hannah made out and posted video on youtube?

Posted by: WhoDaWhat? | October 6, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I would be beyond suprised if noone else can see what Miley's next few years will be like:
dodging small scandals till she's 18.
After 18 the media will have all out access to dish out anything about her. she'll continue like lindsay Lohan did around the time of freaky friday.Then I think her dad's influence will determine if she will go the "good" or "bad" route but I expect more talked about gossip in store for her as she gets older.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Norah Jones has more talent in the tip of her pinky finger than this overdyed, overproduced, overdubbbed, and overhyped pop tart!

Posted by: Geen! | October 6, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If my understanding of this event is correct, the proceeds are going to CHARITY. So - it ain't her real birthday party and it ain't grab-the-profit gig. Give her (ok, her management) credit for creating an event that actually has some positive impact.

Once you're done, you can get back to (justifiably) slamming the rest of her grab-the-profit empire.

Posted by: philko | October 6, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I wish the media would leave her alone. She is attempting to do something she loves without a lot of drama and the media is stirring up mess to try and distract, and overshadow her.

It seems to me that her parents/managers have a better handle on her than the other parents had on their children.

Please leave her alone before she becomes a Lindsay, Brittney, Paris, or Nicole.

Liz you really need to rethink your position and support her. The girls birthday is Nov. 23! Who is going to be around to help her celebrate? Everybody is going to be eating turkey!

Give her a break Liz. Find a new target to throw your low cheap blows

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

i agree it is amazing that shes not pregnant
Nichard Rixon although her parents probably
have her on the pill or sum such nonsenc

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Vastly prefereable for Miley to be on the pill than to have an underage pregnancy.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The LiLo & Brit comparisons, all I can say is, if her parents don't step up to the bat soon, she'll be headed their way faster than she(or Billy Ray) can say "Sweet niblets"!
I have a 14 yr old sister, and 6 & 8 yr old cousins who all LOVE "Hannah Montana". Do I want them dressing like she is? HECK NO! Cyrus Parents: STEP UP TO THE PLATE!!!

Posted by: beth | October 6, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

i love it. i thought it was a great idea.
i love miley =]

Posted by: Kaitlyn | October 6, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

i love it. i thought it was a great idea.
i love miley =]

Posted by: Kaitlyn | October 6, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I was at Disneyland yesterday morning. I talked to a cast member about the party. The ticket income is going to a charity.

Posted by: Eko | October 6, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

i agree with most of you. all of this will destroy her sooner or later. the money the fame it comes and goes and with her ego and her non talented dads i dont think it will all go too well in the long run. shes only what 15 16? and the whole rumour dating a 20 year old? what the hell are her parents thinking?? talk about not gving a dam

Posted by: ana | October 6, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

like, you know, the Hoover Dam...

Posted by: BKD!! | October 6, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Her birthday is actually in November. The "birthday party" was a pre-arranged money making gig that was purposely not on or anywhere near her real birthday.

I think you hit it on the mark that her dad's experience and guidance is a great asset that some of the other wunderkind's didn't have. I think you're shortchanging Miley. She grew up surrounded by show-biz.

My impression is that she's incredibly business savvy and will avoid most of the major pitfalls that have stalked the others.

My guess is that she will grow up to be another Hank Jr. type of star. Hank grew up with a lot of expectations and surrounded by show-biz folks. He was able to avoid most of the pitfalls that awaited him and continue to find success.

Posted by: Steve | October 6, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Give her a break Liz. Find a new target to throw your low cheap blows

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 1:01 PM

I agree. There is something unseemly about attacking one so young. And there's that pesky thing about "fair play". You know, giving the subject the chance to defend herself before the garbage is spewn....

Posted by: Odd choice to attack | October 6, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I wish Disney would have told us the park was closing, before we paid to get in. We felt we got ripped off, Full price admission but then they kick us out by 5pm. Also, i was sickened that Disney has "Gay Day" at Disney land, I guess we were just unlucky to go on the same day as this. Nothing like standing in line with two males kissing in front of my five year old.(they were wearing red shirts that said "Daddy's Boys".) I will never go back. I spoke with others, and they were shocked as well. Disney did a lot of damage in one day to a lot of park goers. No wonder sales are down.

Posted by: Mike | October 6, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

A friend of mine works for her label and says the You Tube videos, etc., are more like the "true" Miley. She's pretty much ready to cut loose, sleep with an inappropriate older man, etc. Billy Ray's going to have his hands full once she turns 18!

Posted by: Californ, IA | October 6, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

A friend of mine works for her label....

Posted by: Californ, IA | October 6, 2008 1:34 PM

Oh, brother!!!

Posted by: Reliable source | October 6, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

How cold and cruel the author of this article is (and so many other media slime). My daughter and I had the opportunity to meet her just this last friday, and she is an absolute sweetheart. Genuinely gracious and friendly and kind. I wish so called "grown ups" would quit alalyzing someone they don't even know and have never met. Conjecture about her choices and her family's decisions, etc. This is just an event, not her actual "birthday". The ticket funds are going to charity. I am sure she will have an intimate gathering with her family and friends when she ACTUALLY celebrates her birthday in NOVEMBER!!! Lay off of her! She is 15/16!!! The utube things are no different than what girls talked about in the girls locker-room in highschool, yourself included! The same dynamics, rivalries, whatever. it is NORMAL. Just now there is just UTUBE to display it all. All kids today are subject to everything we were all priveliged to experience in private, being made public via the internet. Miley is an honest gem, and she shouldn't have to be held up to this perfection standard that the media lays out as to be expected. I am fortunate that I have met her and know first hand what I always thought, she is a great kid, kind and genuine and also quite funny!, she doesn't deserve any of this crap from anyone, and as a mother myself, I am sick to death of how all these adults can't wait to see her screw up, or bash her for something. YOU REPORTERS belong back in YOUR highschool locker-rooms talking behind people's backs, not spreading your toxic poison to the public.
Miley is NOT like Britney. She never will be. She has true talent and a good head on her shoulders and a genuine good heart. I believe in her. Maybe if everyone else did, it would help. Why is everyone so interested in bringing her down? It is far more enjoyable to lift someone up and see them succeed! Miley, we adore you,and we loved meeting you the other day, you were wonderful to my daughter and it will always be a wonderful memory!

Hugs going out to Miley.

Posted by: heather k | October 6, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I think miley cyrus is a spoilt brat, who needs to grow up and act her age

Posted by: megan | October 6, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Liz - you made the Google Top Stories page with this entry. Suspect you'll see lots of new faces commenting.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Californ, IA:

Get over yourself already, sweetie. You do NOT have the inside track on this girl. groan......

Posted by: chicagogirl | October 6, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Q: How does Billy Ray's wife know when he's done having sex?

A: She hears Miley in the next room say, "Get off of me, Daddy, you're crushing my cigarettes!"

Posted by: It'll_Happen | October 6, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Liz, you left out that Miley is dating a 20yr old man who works as an underwear model. Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

Posted by: Lisa1 | October 6, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

her parents sold her soul years ago . . . she's not that innocent, right Brittney?

Posted by: N. Obdy | October 6, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

call me crazy but a well raised 16 year old doesnt get paid to celebrate her birthday at disneyland... i didnt even get a car...

Posted by: Ashley Bannister | October 6, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa1 | October 6, 2008 1:48 PM

*******************************
No, Joe McHale of the Soup is all over it.

And I am pretty sure that Liz was not attacking Miley - but the people around here that are supposed to protect and support her.

Posted by: Betty | October 6, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Okay, everyone who says Miley knows what she is doing, is business savvy, etc. is ignoring one tiny little fact, the girl is SIXTEEN. No sixteen year old is business savvy enough to stand up to the Disney money making machine, nor does she really know what she is getting into. The child (legally and emotionally) does not have life experience enough to really judge whether something is a good decision or not. All she sees is the money. Which is all her parents see or they wouldn't be putting her out there like this.

As for the person who mentioned Hank Jr. If you are referring to Hank Williams, Jr., you skipped over the alcohlism and falling out of a hotel room window flat on his face. He had to have major plastic surgery and barely survived. He was drunk out his gourd at the time. So, not really a good comparison.

Finally, I want to see a report on how much really goes to charity before I will believe it. Lots of these "charity" fundraisers are held to buff up a celebrity image and very little actually makes it to the charity after all the "production" costs are deducted.

Posted by: ep | October 6, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Puh-lease everybody! Give me a break.

Of course I know nothing about Miley Cyrus but the little bit I read in the media. But I do know one thing for sure -- this lady is NOT a child. She has been a biological adult for about two years now.

So give up the fantasy, come back to reality.

Posted by: irene holm | October 6, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I think her father knowing personally just how fleating celebrity can be is just having her cash in as much as possible while she still can before she too has to depend on her children to bring home the bacon.

Posted by: Anthony | October 6, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Betty | October 6, 2008 1:56 PM

Doesn't matter.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

This was a cross-marketing event...Disney has a new promotion they were trying to advertise as well which may explain the hefty pricetag (plus some of the bigger rides were open to the guests as well). Some if not most of the guests were celebrities with their kids.

Posted by: HPinMclean | October 6, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Quick one to one of the commentors...Mike; OMG! Teh Geih!!!!!!1!1!1 Oh Nooooooz! Would it have so chesed you off if it were a man and a woman kissing in line?

"A Billino dollars" Geheheheheheheh, maybe to Disney. She'll be worht me than I am, but in no way will she be worth a billion. She doesn't even own her own name right now. Disney owns every piece of her and they're gonna crack the whip on all of those contracts clause as soon as she tries to escape.

Posted by: EricS | October 6, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

If Miley was my child i would drop her on purpose. Just kidding;) It would be an accident ..

Posted by: Brinttney Spears | October 6, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Say what you will, but you know that every one of you would hit it and not feel even remotely bad about it.

Posted by: I'm In! | October 6, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I detest the whole Disney channel, Hannah Montana, etc., for the influence it has on kids, esp. little girls. If you ever listen to Miley's music, the lyrics are not appropriate for the little girls (like my 7 year old niece) who listen to it. It's teaching girls to act older than they really are and that so much is about appearance. Childhood is disappearing when parents let their kids park themselves in front of this crap on TV and Disney keeps shoveling it out.

Posted by: bflgirl | October 6, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I think you've completely missed the ball on this onoe, Liz. Afterall, she's having this bash a month BEFORE her actual birthday so she's not missing out on anything. She's just simply making more money now and able to have any kind of real celebration on her real birthday. If she chooses to, she can still have that normal just close friends and family that many are accustomed to.

Posted by: Ryuuji | October 6, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Who cares, who cares, who cares?

Posted by: Rachel | October 6, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Who the devel is Norah Jones? I've heard of Tom Jones. He didn't have any talent either.

Posted by: Abolhassan Bani Sadr | October 6, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

i think she is huhhhlariouuus. YUHH in da H!!!!!11!! houston on deck.;,Im riting dis frum prison and we love billy ray.

Posted by: horace | October 6, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Quit pickin on miley, you jelus h8ers.

Posted by: luvmiley | October 6, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 1:43 PM

Including, apparently, Jesus Himself! See 12:38 pm

Posted by: just me | October 6, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

most all of these comments seem to be against Miley. I don't understand what is soooo bad about her wanting to share her birthday with her fans... You're all just jelous, and make a huge deal over every little thing she does; so you're obviously jelous.

Posted by: Zebraaa | October 6, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebraaa | October 6, 2008 2:38 PM

Zebraa

Most of the regulars on this blog are fat, old geeks who have waay too much free time. Ignore.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey luvmiley and Zebraaa, are you jealous of anyone who knows how to spell jealous?

Posted by: Spell check anyone?! | October 6, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Disney isn't "pushing her onstage" an having her "work on her birthday". Her actual sweet 16 birthday is in November. Also, her "high priced" party tickets went to charity. The whole event was to support Youth Service America, a charity league based on getting young kids involved in serving the community. I don't know why everyone is giving her a bad rap? Shes a teenage girl, and people are giving her a hard time for being a silly teen. Heaven forbid she makes a typical teenage girl mistake in her life.

Posted by: Josie | October 6, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Woooo Hoooo, classic BKD!!!

Never really heard of Miley Cyrus until our inaugural BKD, after that I decided to watch an episode of Hannah Montana...oh. my. god. I could not believe this show and Miss Cyrus were so popular. Do tweeners actually write the show? And her singing...was...well it will not translate into a successful adult career. I say let her get hers now, cuz in 10 years she'll be trying to launch a comeback or in 20 years she'll be pimping out her 12 year old to Disney.

Posted by: furry white male looking for devil worshipping mate | October 6, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

whoa! I'm sorry that skirt is riding just a bit too low to be decent for a 16yo. Come on Billy Ray, do your job and set some limits.
Yes, I heard the $250 is for charity as well and I applaud her for that. She has done work for literacy groups in Applachia also.

Posted by: hodie | October 6, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Booby Kennedy, how are you doing today? What were you thinking Liz? Unless you were purposefully trying to find new readers/commenters for your blog and wapo online.

Posted by: That Guy | October 6, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

come over to Deerfield,ks if you gat a chanece I will put you and move Miley Cyrus

Posted by: jason | October 6, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

She has done work for She has done work for literacy groups in Applachia also.

Posted by: hodie | October 6, 2008 3:01 PM

Spelling Police!!!! "literacy groups" LOL!!!!!

Posted by: Where? | October 6, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

mea culpa to the Spelling Police

Posted by: hodie | October 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Take a long lunch and when I get back the inmates are running the asylum. Happy BKD, lizards!

Posted by: b | October 6, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

You know I lurv the BKD.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller drops by. | October 6, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Charity or not, $250 is a lot for fans that don't even have jobs. I wonder how many fans were not able to attend because the tickets were cost prohibitive?

Posted by: luvamywinehouse | October 6, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Why no mention of the fact that a 15-year old is supposedly dating a 20-year old male model? It's totally inappropriate.

Posted by: ckf | October 6, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Granted, $250 a head is a little insane, but there are retarded people in the world who will shell out the bucks for daddy's girl(s) to go see Miley. I'm sure these are the same idiots that drive gas guzzling SUV's and could care less about $4.00 gas.

First of all, most of you are probably just jealous that she is 16 and making millions while you sit at your sorry ass job.

Second, get educated... the proceeds went to charity, not in her pocket or the mouse's.

Third, her birthday is November 23rd. So this wasn't her real b-day party.

And yes, it was gay days at d-land. I thought it was only for saturday, but ooooo nooo. All weekend fag fest! I was nauseated and had to leave the park. These are days that need to be published in the Annual Passholder newsletter to avoid. Little kids, including mine, don't need to be seeing this crap!

YES ON PROP 8 CALIFORNIA!!!

Posted by: Disco Steve | October 6, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Leave Miley alone you bastards

Posted by: tightened | October 6, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Disco Steve - please crawl back under the rock from which you came. Thank you.

Posted by: Betty | October 6, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Leave Miley alone you bastards

Posted by: tightened | October 6, 2008 4:53 PM

Sorry, but Miley has not done anything to warrent a "Get out of Snark" pass and her career most likely won't last long enough for her to even try.

Posted by: miley sucks... | October 6, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jesus and et als who had to remind me this was for CHARITY. IN BOLD, NO LESS. Well guess what, this event didn't start out being for charity, didja know that? But once the press got wind of the event and started to sling some bad reporting her way, suddenly the whole tone of it changed and this was suddenly a CHARITY event. And some say the Cyrus family doesn't know how to work the press, huh?

Posted by: Breanna Babe | October 6, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

It's not typical for a 16 year old girl to never be emotional, but, remember, she is NOT a normal 16 year old girl.

Let's face it- She is a huge public figure. And I think she's handling it pretty well.

It would have been nice for her to have a regular sweet 16 but she decided to do something nice for her fans-there is NOTHING WRONG with that.

Over all- Miley is a good sport- everyone is bound to make some mistakes

Posted by: Cristine | October 6, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

The Miley event was a good six weeks before her actual birthday, and a fundraiser for a charity at that, so I don't see how it's any more harmful than any of her other gigs (although valid arguments can be raised on that score).

Good point, ep, re Hank Williams Jr's. travails. He seems to have his life together now (or at least under wraps), after a rough time earlier.

Shoutout to RCR! Hope you've got those little monsters under control.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 6, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Miley needs to maybe... um... let's see: GET A LIFE!!! She serioulsy is like willing to expose herself and do whatever it takes to get publicity. She needs to change bigtime and watch all the people who luv her now are gonna hate her in 3 months. Guarantee it. BTW: Hate her!

Speakin' the truth: Colbert Style!

Posted by: ughness | October 6, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

You have to admit. She is an odd looking kid.

And her voice is, er, unique.

So her appeal is obvious!

Posted by: The Truf | October 6, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, and it looks like next year's Harvest will be even better..." -South Park

Posted by: Terrorfied | October 6, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Disco Steve- retarded? I hope to one day be as intelligent and caring as you, you are obviously a cut above on the evolutionary scale. From your first paragraph it is pretty obvious you are jealous "while you sit at your sorry ass job." Change your name to Bozo Steve - it might get more laughs.

Posted by: senator B.O. | October 7, 2008 4:20 AM | Report abuse

i'd tap that

Posted by: dirty old man | October 7, 2008 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Billy Ray Cirrus is an a-hole who is only interested in self promotion and cash. He posed with his daughter like some lover or something sick idiots for parents.

Posted by: este | October 7, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

CKF,
Not only is it inappropriate that Miley at the age of 15 is dating a 20 year old it is illegal. If they are having sex it is statutory rape.
Billy Ray needs to start thinking about his daughter and not just thinking about money.

Posted by: DW | October 7, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: este | October 7, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

She is like a 40 year old in a kid suit. did you hear her talk? her voice sounds like an old lady

Posted by: huh? | October 7, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: amy | October 7, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"I was at the party. Disney gave YSA a one million dollar check. Ticket sales made 1,250,000. This event was not all about the money."

I wuz ther 2. it wuznt all about the money. it wuz abot a shetload of money. Disney gave ysa a 1 milyun dollar check, yo.

Posted by: amysfriendchuck | October 7, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Miley is the sweetest girl you could ever meet. You asswipes that hate her are all jealous. If you can't afford to go to the party then don't go. If you haven't got a job because the economy in your country is bad, then maybe you should have stayed in school and learned to spell. It's not Miley's fault you're ignorant. Most of you haven't got the facts to comment on this topic, or the brains to make any sense. Miley has morals and you low-lifes are dissing her, when in reality it is you whose minds are in the gutter that need a good kick in the ass. Get a life you losers! All you on Miley's side (and there are millions), good for you for supporting a girl who is wholesome and innocent...and her parents are doing an awesome job raising her in spite of what these haters think.

Posted by: janna | October 7, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Miley is the just another girl you'll never meet. I don't hate her, I don't like her either, but that doesn't make me a buttwipe. Most of us can afford to go to the party but won't go. We've got a job but that doesn't keep the economy in our country from turnning bad. Maybe you should stay in school and learn English composition. It's not Miley's fault you're ignorant. What facts do we need to comment on this topic, or the brains to care about Miley's life? What morals does Miley have, or what morals do you have to call us low-lifes?

Posted by: yojannacarmdown | October 7, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

hi hannah your a good singer

Posted by: Amie Genaille | October 7, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

U SUCK LIZ
YOU HAVE ABSOLUTTLY NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

Posted by: ASHLEY | October 7, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

OHHHH AND ALL THE MONEY FROM THE TICKETS WENT 2 CHARITY
SO YEAH THAT SOUNDS LIKE A MONEY HUNGRY PERSON RITE
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GET YOUR FACT STRIAGHT!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ASHLEY | October 7, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

-liz-
you no you shouldn't be talking about miley like that i mean like yeah she's been acting a little bit snobby but give her a chance i mean she's like any old 15 year old going on 16 who needs everything perfect for her sweet 16 yuo know, but give a little credit
p.s MILEY ROCKS!!!

Posted by: Candy girl 101 | October 7, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

me again
liz i no somewhere you no that you like miley i mean whats not 2 like

Posted by: candy girl 101 | October 7, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I think she tries to make herself look cute. I won't be surprised if soon she starts posting MORE dirty pics of herself. She has no talent, whatsoever...she can't dance, act, or sing. The only reason she's famous is her dad is a one-hit-wonder with "Achey Breaky Heart," which makes me gag, anyways. She acts sweet to the camera, but internet photos say oh, nooooo way! Please people, don't listen to her sweet country accent, and think she's all innocent.

Peace out,

Awesome-O

Posted by: awesome-o | October 7, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

250 dollars per ticket; the audience who paid the money for this surely didn't mind, or else they wouldn't have paid for it. She did what she loved to do - perform. I heard the money went to charity...that seems more of a reason not to hate her (or her management).

So what if the girl wanted her pre-party at Disneyland - is that a crime? Yeah, maybe she is over-publicized, but is that her fault? And if it was, so what? Why hate her? I bet almost none of you have met her, so how could you hate her?

God bless America... Sheesh.

Posted by: Kelli | October 7, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

ok i just have one thing to say...you left out that she did this event for her fans and for charity...seriously you really need to think before you write and do some research..i mean somethings you said were pretty harsh...miley is a kid who is handling fame very well and is very grounded..yea shes made mistakes but every kid has..she isnt any different that way..its just that because shes famous..every mistake she does make ends up on the news..and i feel so bad for her when that happens because this girl has no private life..i mean seriously people..how would you feel if your life was out there like that in the media..i dont think i could handle it as well as miley..great job girl....keep up the great work...your true fans will always be in your coner!!

Posted by: kim | October 8, 2008 3:54 AM | Report abuse

you all hate my daughters success

Posted by: B R CYRUS | October 8, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

hi everryoen its mew HOERACE !!! they gfabve me some more compeyetr hours do i am aloowoed tro type dusm ,ore. i lvoe m ijkyle siriouds. she is like br gbut not as aweosme. PRison in da h town reppin its striaght up.HOUSTIN ON DEEEXK i love paul walll AZERBAYJAN gofr da winininin. HNNBYTEBYEBYEBYE

Posted by: horace | October 8, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I do understand the bashing of Billy Ray and Miley's mother. Let me get this out there now, I do not like Miley Cyrus. I will not like Miley Cyrus. And my opinions, well. I can't promise they won't be biased.

Miley, on my own opinion, is growing up too fast. I think the influence of the people around her does not help what so ever. I also believe that she has no talent in singing, dancing, and acting. I do think she'd do better in school, out of the public eye. But it's not like that's going to happen. But what I was saying before, is that yes, I understand that her parents aren't in full control and aren't the best. But seriously, Miley very obviously makes her own decisions. And yes, they are usually not good decisions. I think that she acts like somebody who she really isn't. Whether she's good on the inside, or bad, I don't know. I don't know her personally, so how could I tell how bad of a person she really is. All I see is what I read or see around the media. And as of lately, Miley has not been somebody kids should look up to.

I don't think people should hate on Liz for writing this. Honestly, I know we are all able to have our own opinions. I think that everyone's opinions are their owns and they should not be persecuted for them. So I think that if you have a problem with Liz, that you should not freak out on her. Her writing is the truth.

Posted by: Emily, NJ | October 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Liz, you criticize Miley and her celebration as if you're actually concerned about her well being. You rightly point out that she is still just "a child" and that too much fame and wealth at such a young age is dangerous.
But how about having to deal with a lot of adverse criticisms at such a young age, not to mention a lot of awful things said about her on various forums and web sites. I suppose that goes along with being famous, but people who keep branding Miley the next Britney or Lindsay or calling her horrible names may be pushing her along that path.
Hopefully, she's strong enough and smart enough to not be hurt by losers who trash talk about her on her sites and anywhere else people discuss Miley.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 3:06 AM | Report abuse

Yes, she is a child, but despite how much i dislike her she is a child who knows what she's doing. She knows what the fans want, and its all about money to her. She's starting to widen her range so that people in their early twenties and late teens adore her too. That brings more money in too. She knows what shes doing as a career, but she's so young. I mean she should take a break, especially on her birthday. And as for the line where she said, "I don’t get shaken or stirred up over anything. I'm just so, no emotions," is such crap. She's the one crying whenever someone judges her. She's a celebrity and she put herself in the spotlight with all those pictures and for her to say she has no emotions is such bull. She should take a break from her acting and being so "tough" and act like a normal kid.

Posted by: Nicole | October 9, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse