Posted at 6:58 AM ET, 10/ 6/2008

Morning Mix: Amy Winehouse, Scientologist?

By Liz Kelly
Monday

Headlines: Sick Janet Jackson postpones three more concert dates... Angelina Jolie makes first red carpet appearance since twins' birth, shows off tattoo addition... Jolie "hampered" by gorgeous face, says Clint Eastwood... Yet again, Tina Fey nails Sarah Palin impression... Bruce Springsteen, Shakira support Barack Obama... Concerned David Spade texts recently-arrested ex Heather Locklear... Victoria Beckham teeters atop super-high heels... Salma Hayek nearly busts out of costume on German TV... Eddie Van Halen engaged to manager... Howard Stern marries longtime girlfriend... Russell Simmons introduces menswear line... Judge blocks distribution of Anna Nicole Smith breast augmentation footage... Charlize Theron sued by watchmaker for wearing competitor's watch.

Crime Watch: O.J. Simpson found guilty in Vegas robbery, kidnapping; Simpson reportedly "in shock."

Rumor Mill: Amy Winehouse converting to Scientology?... Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal "drifting apart"?... Rachael Ray denies she's battling throat cancer... Kevin Costner plans Bull Durham sequel.

Chat: At 1 p.m. ET, Isis King discusses her experiences as the first transgendered model to compete on "America's Next Top Model."

By Liz Kelly  | October 6, 2008; 6:58 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday List: The Best John Hughes Movie?
Next: Miley Cyrus's Bittersweet Sixteen

Comments

What David Spade was thinking about when he called Heather Locklear:

[GEORGE enters.]

GEORGE: Hey.

JERRY: Hey, guess what! Little Jerry ran from here to Newman's in under thirty seconds!

GEORGE: Is that good?

JERRY: I don't know. Where have you been?

GEORGE: Celia broke out of prison. I'm sitting in my home, she shows up at the door!

JERRY: Oh my God! “The break-out/pop-in!”

GEORGE: Yeah. Hey Jerry, listen to this. I discovered something even better than conjugal visit sex. Fugitive sex! Now, it's like everytime -

JERRY (interrupts): George, this is a little too much for me - escaped convicts, fugitive sex...I got a cockfight to focus on.

[JERRY leaves.]

Posted by: byoolin | October 6, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Imagine what Angelina Jolie might have been able to do if that face of hers hadn't held her back.

Yet again, Sarah Palin nails impression of someone who has no business being vice president.

Salma Hayek: Gott im Himmel!!!

Best line about O.J. was on SNL's Weekend Update when Seth Meyers said Simpson had been found guilty of robbery, kidnapping, "but, really, murder."

Simpson's reaction: "Holy s***, they did not acquit."

Amy Winehouse converting to Scientology: now we *know* it's a serious drug problem.

Bull Durham II will be a touching comedic look at 55-year-old catcher Crash Davis as he attempts to stand up straight after crouch at home plate to catch the ceremonial first pitch.

Posted by: And byoolin steals home while Crash ogles Salma. | October 6, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Sheesh Laloosh. I meant "crouching," not "crouch."

Posted by: byoolin tries to stand up straight after that bad Englishing. | October 6, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

OJ Simpson found guilty is the epitome of karma. All of those 13's in the circumstances and the fact that the lights inexplicably dimmed at the time the verdict was announced make my skin crawl. I hope he gets everything that's coming to him in prison for the rest of his miserable life.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I think Salma actually fell out of her dress (see right breast).

Posted by: alex | October 6, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I think Salma actually fell out of her dress (see right breast).

Posted by: alex | October 6, 2008 8:23 AM

Elias Howe must be beside himself.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Angie looks nice but what happen to Brad? He looks like live action Pepe Le Pew.
Even with six kids, I think Angie will dump him a couple of years.

Posted by: Lisa1 | October 6, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Let's all welcome nutcase Amy Winehouse to the "Church" of Scientology, a.k.a. Nutcase Central.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 6, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

How wonderful that the Brangelina family finally gets to go on a vacation and see new sights!!

Posted by: Amelia | October 6, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to sound like a Clay Aiken fan, but if Amy Winehouse becomes a scientologist, or worse, photographed with Tom Cruise, I am going to have to re-think my music choices.

Posted by: jake e. poo | October 6, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"Howard Stern marries longtime girlfriend Russel Simmons...."

It's got to be a Monday morning when I read things like that.

I trust Shakira's endorsement of Barak, after all her hips don't lie.

Mmmm...Posh, Angelina, Salma, Charlize...it's going to be a good day...

Posted by: Dorkus | October 6, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Tell me what did Beth O. do in her past life to deserve Howard Stern? My sympathies to Beth. Liz, add this one to the odd couple list from a few weeks back.

Hand Posh a long pole and cue up the Circus music. Those shoes are ridiculous!

Angie looks good but the photo makes her look as if she has lost her confidence hanging on to Brad the way she is. Brad appears ready to tie her to the railroad tracks. Just needs the top hat. Cue the organ music.

Amy Winehouse a scientologist? That's a bkd event if there ever was one. However, if they can straighten her out, more power to them.

Posted by: hodie | October 6, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire. So Amy may turn out to be a Scientologist. I'm all for her turning her life around as long as she doesn't put out an "Ode to Xenu" album.

I just got a Friday list idea. The new soulful stylings of Amy "Scientol" Winehouse.

There's something about getting a text from David Spade after being arrested that does not seem like concern to me. Dude, get on the phone and talk to her or stop the jailhouse but don't text.

Posted by: petal | October 6, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse was going to become a scientologist until she found out their position on drugs. They only want their version of mind altering.

When Angelina Jolie shaves her head -- then will you all believe she is crazy?

Amazing what an audiotape and actual witnesses will do when trying to get a conviction. Not to mention competent attorneys who actually bother to prepare their case.

Posted by: ep | October 6, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"Howard Stern marries longtime girlfriend Russel Simmons...."

It's got to be a Monday morning when I read things like that.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 6, 2008 9:13 AM
=====
Well, it's also got to be a Monday morning when you read Eddie Van Halen engaged to longtime manager, Howard Stern.

Posted by: suzq | October 6, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Going for an edgier image, "Swiss Miss" Instant Cocoa introduced Salma Hayek as their new spokesmodel.

Posted by: Nick | October 6, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

more power to them.

Posted by: hodie | October 6, 2008 9:19 AM

Noooo!

Posted by: jes | October 6, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"[Scientologists] told [Amy Winehouse] they wanted to help her beat drugs and could tailor-make a programme so she wouldnt have to go to a residential center.

"She liked that idea because her husband Blake is out of prison soon and wouldn't want to be away from him when he's finally freed."

Why do I get the feeling we'll soon be hearing about a knife fight in prison so that Blake can extend his time?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | October 6, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

more power to them.

Posted by: hodie | October 6, 2008 9:19 AM

Noooo!

Posted by: jes | October 6, 2008 10:01 AM

relax jes, I meant in taking over Amy Winehouse's rehab. It's not like she'll become Chief Scientist and order the aliens to return and annihilate us nonbelievers. At least I don't think so....
Just think of all the snark this will produce when she and the Cruises start hanging out.

Posted by: hodie | October 6, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"Tell me what did Beth O. do in her past life to deserve Howard Stern? "

Water seeks its own level.

Posted by: One night only | October 6, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Water seeks its own level.

Posted by: One night only | October 6, 2008 10:18 AM

Oh do tell! I know nothing about this girl.

Posted by: hodie | October 6, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

s'alright hodie, I didn't really think you were wishing for world domination for the Scientologists.

Posted by: jes | October 6, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Van Halen's new fiance has quite the bangs going on! What's up with that?

I love Brad Pitt, but he looks a little too Artful Dodger for my taste.

Posted by: jlr | October 6, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Just watched Mr. Pitt in A River Runs Through It on TCM on Sat & now seeing him is those pics just makes him look like 40 miles of bad road. Been rode hard & put away wet if ya get my meanin'.

But all that globe trotting, 6 kids under the age of 7, & all that smokin' hot Angelina sex will do that to a person.

As for Ms. Winehouse & her alleged conversion to $cientology, I'm all for it if it means she gets back to doin' what she does best, & that's doin' a damn fine impersonation of a soul singer.

Posted by: Bored @ work | October 6, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

What a great pic of Angie with Clint--so nice to see her laughing.

Those shoes on posh are not only ridiculous, they're hideously ugly.

I always wondered how much a celebrity endorsement of fancy watches or other jewelry was worth. 20 mil is a pretty impressive figure. There isn't much detail in the story--a one time red carpet incident? Pap shots of her everyday life?

Of course OJ is in shock. He's a megalomaniac convinced he is above the law.

Posted by: hermespal | October 6, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Brad was only 27 when he shot A River Runs Through It--he's 44 now! Although I agree he doesn't look great in the premier pics.

I caught a few minutes of "Titanic" over the weekend (until I remembered how much I didn't like that film) and was struck by how young and pretty Leo was eleven years ago compared to now. Considering he's ten years younger than Brad, I guess I'd have to say Brad's aging pretty well.

Posted by: hermespal | October 6, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

If I could afford those shoes Posh is wearing, I would buy 'em. Having that big platform under the toe makes the heel feel not quite so high. And speaking of the heel -- HAWT.

And speaking of hawt, doesn't it look like Angelina Jolie is going to yank on that scarf and chock Brad Pitt until he shaves? Ew.

Posted by: other liz | October 6, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't think $cientolocult's gonna help you, Amy.

Wait, wasn't Brangelina in Germany? We should have a daily game: where in the world is Brangelina?

I can't get over how much Jolie looks like Janice Dickinson. The way she's going, by the time she's 40 she's gonna look like she's been rode hard and put up wet. Supposedly in the throes of post-partum depression and still getting tattoos and talking about having more kids? Jeez, girl, take a breath!

Posted by: Californian | October 6, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Trust me, I am beside myself!

Posted by: Elias Howe | October 6, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"Trust me, I am beside myself! " Elias Howe.

You got your cloning machine to work!!!!!!

Posted by: ep | October 6, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"Trust me, I am beside myself! " Elias Howe.

You got your cloning machine to work!!!!!!

Posted by: ep | October 6, 2008 4:18 PM
==========================================

oh, ep!!!!! huzzah, huzzah!

Posted by: Curmudgeon claps and whistles | October 6, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse converting to Scientology?

They promise she won't have to go to rehab, no, no, no. But wait till she experiences their detox program, oh my!

Victoria Beckham teeters atop super-high heels...

Podiatrists salivate at the prospect of all the new business generated when fashion sheep start adopting this trend.

Concerned David Spade texts recently-arrested ex Heather Locklear.

Maybe David is a loyal friend at a difficult time for Heather.

"Trust me, I am beside myself!" Elias Howe.

You got your cloning machine to work!!!!!!

You made my day, ep!

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 6, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

(Hey, who was that "alex" at 8:23? Wasn't me!)

I just popped in to say, "Thanks a lot, byoolin!" I was flipping channels on Friday and caught parts of The Ex-List. I'm not sure that I can put this delicately, but one of the characters was newly sporting the Girl Scout look and it was freaking her fiance out. So, what did she do? She flashed her sister to show her the brand new merkin she had acquired.

As if this weren't bad enough, I was watching with my mother in the retirement home and had to madly scramble for the remote control while she exclaimed, "Look at that girl flashing!" At least she didn't ask me what a merkin was. Which I would have been able to tell her thanks to byoolin. This chat has so expanded my education--whether I wanted it or not. (But I'm still laughing.)

Posted by: There are some things alex doesn't need to know! | October 6, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

"Trust me, I am beside myself! " Elias Howe.

You got your cloning machine to work!!!!!!

Posted by: ep | October 6, 2008 4:18 PM

Yea, but I wanted to be beside Salma!

Posted by: Elias Howe | October 6, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Hasn't Winehouse or her staff seen the articles in Time and Rolling Stone about Scientology's practices? This woman needs more than megadoses of vitamin, sauna and bizarre practices to treat her psychological and substance abuse problems.

That, and Scientology has a long and storied history of trying to market themselves through association with celebrities.

Come on Amy--you can do better than this...

Posted by: Rob Law | October 11, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse