Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 10/29/2008

Morning Mix: Britney's Dad to Control Her Finances Indefinitely

By Liz Kelly

PETA activists protest outside the Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen 'Influence' book signing at Barnes & Noble's Union Square book store on Tuesday in New York. (AP)

Wednesday

Headlines: Dad Jamie given indefinite financial control of Britney Spears's finances (What does that mean?)... Offers pour in as Cloris Leachman finally voted off "Dancing with the Stars"... Robert Downey Jr. to play "Iron Man" in three more films... Elvis again ranked top-earning dead celebrity... Joaquin Phoenix says he's quitting acting to work on music... Jessica Simpson's "Major Movie Star" debuts at no. 1 in Russia... Hilary Duff channels '80s-era Madonna in new video... Hollywood Republicans (including Cliff Claven and Victoria Jackson. Who knew?) speak out against Al Franken... Beyonce unveils latest House of Dereon collection... Tracy Morgan credits Alec Baldwin with helping him quit drinking... Cookbook author sues Jerry Seinfeld for defamation... Carol Alt makes tearful court appearance in case against ex-husband... Keanu Reeves denies knocking over paparazzo.

Crime Watch: Jennifer Hudson's nephew's death ruled a homicide; Suspect had violated probation; Hudson's sister blogs about her son on MySpace; Rosie O'Donnell calls tragedy "2 hard 2 comprehend"... Barenaked Ladies's Steven Page gets reduced drug charges... David Caruso stalker sought in Mexico.

Rumor Mill Special Report -- Madge & Guy: Madonna made Ritchie sign a marriage contract agreeing to less shouting and more sex.

Rumor Mill: "View" rep denies behind the scenes Hasselbeck-Behar feud... Britney Spears to host Nov. 22 "SNL"?... Paris Hilton's personal appearance fees slashed... Tom Cruise builds private gym for daughter Suri... Jennifer Aniston and John Mayer spend weekend at spa resort.

Chat Alert: Author, actor, Mac pitchman and "Daily Show" contributor John Hodgman discusses his new book, "More Information Than You Require," at 12:30 p.m. ET.

Made By You: Considering the humbling video producer Rocci and I posted here last week, I'm sure you've got your own celeb-inspired costumes locked and loaded. Share pix of yourself in costume in our reader-submitted photo gallery.

By Liz Kelly  | October 29, 2008; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Annals of Bad Movies: Patrick Swayze's 'Road House'
Next: Jessica Simpson: Fashionably Late

Comments

Hey, remember that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry convinces this kid that her mother is an assassin? That was hilaaaaarious.

...oh, nevermind, that really happened.

Posted by: aesully | October 29, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I think the Baldwin/Morgan counseling session went something like this:
A phone rings-
TM (tipsy): 'Sup?
AB: You thoughtless pig...Once again, I have made an ass of myself trying to get get you to work. You have an opportunity with 30 Rock. You have insulted me for the last time.

Posted by: pras40 | October 29, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Beyonce is treading on JLo's territory if she requires an entire House for her Derriere.

Three more Ironman Movies??! Was it that good?? Can't anyone think of anything original? I prefer the cartoon movie myself.

Hopefully Stephen Page learns his lesson. Love the BNLs. Who wouldn't love songs like Be My Yoko Ono. Elisabeth Hasselbeck must not be a fan or she would know that green coats are cruel.

Posted by: hodie | October 29, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Hodie - too true on Stephen Page, I can't believe that I missed pointing out that real green coats are cruel...

Posted by: LTL1 | October 29, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

hodie, I haven't seen Iron Man (I know, I know...what *have* I seen?) I don't know the back story. Is there a book or something I should read before seeing the movie?

Also, I'm sorry for Missy Chapin Labine (the cookbook author suing Seinfeld) but even though I'm no lawyer, her 'case' sounds pretty thin. She was definitely the victim of bad timing.

Posted by: pras40 | October 29, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey hodie, aren't green dresses cruel? But I guess Elizabrat's coat could be considered a dress.

Thank GOD Cloris is finally off. Hopefully Susan Lucci will be next.

Hopefully they'll be able to quickly find the people responsible for Hudson's family tragedy. Sounds like a good time to go a little vigilante.

Posted by: eet7e | October 29, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

LTL, maybe it wasn't a real green coat...

I had no idea that Preskool made a Lil' Tykes Home Gym...but it's nice to know that Suri will never ever have to leave her father's protective sphere.

hodie, I am stoked about the possibility of more Iron Man movies, there's a lot material in the comics that will make for some good escapist fun. And no, there are no original ideas anymore.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 29, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

eet7e, I think you're right on green dresses vs coats, just taking a little artistic liberty for snarking purposes.

I've never seen Ironman either, guess I'll have to now. I was remembering the cartoon movie Iron Giant which was pretty cute but totally unrelated.

Posted by: hodie | October 29, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Wee Tom can't get Suri to give up the bottle but she's up for private gymnastics lessons at 2? Does she still wear her party dresses during the lessons?

What did Madonna's marriage contract say about shouting during sex?

Posted by: jes11 | October 29, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Note to Madonna:
If you need a "contract" to communicate with your husband, your marriage prolly wasn't that solid to begin with. I would love to see the look on Mr. Jelo's face if I handed him a piece of paper that dictated the terms of fighting and/or nookie.

Posted by: jelo | October 29, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Madge can get a marriage contract but the thought of a prenup escapes her.

Tom should throw in a quiet room for Suri to collect her thoughts as well. Kinda like the one that Chris Martin has.

I am amazed that CSI Miami is still on. The David Caruso stalker is even more amazing.

Posted by: petalceleb | October 29, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

First item on list of discussion points between dad and Britney: “Honey, from now on, 'money to burn' is just an expression, okay?”

Robert Downey Jr. to play "Iron Man" in three more films... Rust never sleeps.

Rosie O'Donnell calls tragedy "2 hard 2 comprehend"... or, apparently 2 justify using full words.

David Caruso stalker sought in Mexico – why, couldn't find an American willing to do the job?

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 29, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Why can't these tweeny's come up with their own songs instead of ripping off old ones??? I mean sampling is one thing, but that Duff song only has a sample of her and the rest is Depeche Mode/Madonna. Get your own sound or go away!

Posted by: daytripper | October 29, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Iron Man was basically unbeatable, and most (though not all) of that was RDJ. It is a superhero movie (which I don't consider a pejorative, but some might), but it is an extremely well-done one. Nope, you don't need a bit of background to see the movie. (There's some interesting Iron Man comics that deal with his alcoholism, notable "Demon in a Bottle", but that's extra credit reading to be sure.)
...Hey, how did I get on this soapbox? And why am I wearing a "Han Shot First" t-shirt? /clambers off the nerdbox
Going to miss Terrance Howard. But I'd be interested to see what Don Cheadle does in the role.

Posted by: Bawlmer | October 29, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Not only does the "marriage contract" dictate terms of fighting and sex, it also requires Guy to spend HOURS reading Kabbalah texts -- wow, talk about taking the fun out of matrimony.

If Papa Spears is getting any kind of decent returns in this market, he's welcome to take over my finances, too.

Posted by: 44west | October 29, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't those PETA activists be out spray painting a fur coat instead of standing in the cold at a book signing?

Posted by: petalceleb | October 29, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it have been much funnier if David Caruson fled to Mexico to avoid stalking charges?

Posted by: WDC2 | October 29, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

You purists are right it should be a dress not a coat that is true, but I was rolling with Hodie's artistic license

besides haven't you always wanted a monkey?

LTL decides that the bravest thing she could ever do is to run away and hide... (and stop quoting BNL)...

In a separate note - Who in the world could ever win an assault charge against Keanu Reeves - isn't he like 100 doughy pounds soaking wet? I guess unless you consider Point Break (lets bring it back to yesterdays post) an assault on good taste?

Speaking of doughy - man o'malley is Leonardo DiDoughy unappealing with his shirt off...

Posted by: LTL1 | October 29, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

At last! I can post again! Yippee!

Now:

* Does anybody read Rosie's blog because they *like* it, or just because it's so snarkable. Surely she has to know how stupid it looks when grownups do tweener textspeak. Oh, wait. I forgot we're talking about the world's oldest 12-year-old here.

* David Caruso is so not hot anymore. If only we could get his CSI:Miami character to disappear in Mexico while searching for his real-life stalker.

Posted by: dablues | October 29, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

The creepiest part of that Tom/Suri gym story is this line: "Tom has even hired a female instructor from the facility to come over each week and give Suri a one-hour lesson that he plans to oversee."

That he plans to oversee? Why not just teach the class, ya control freak you? G'head, teach the two-year-old bag-o-cartilage how you did all that cliff-hanging in the "Mission Impossible" movies, too! Honestly; what a doof.

I'm afraid to click any URL containing the words "hilary-duffs" [sic] "get-blindfolded". Besides, while Ms. Duff has been on my oh-no-you-di-ihnt list since she remade a "Go-Go's" song with her sister (never mess with Jane Wiedlin!), I'll give her a pass on this one. Sample away, Lizzie McGuire!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 29, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

What did Madonna's marriage contract say about shouting during sex?

Posted by: jes11 | October 29, 2008 9:48 AM

Great one, jes11! I needed the laugh after a totally depressing staff meeting.

I want to know where to get one of those Hairy Kate Olsen masks. Would be a great Halloween costume.

Posted by: hodie | October 29, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

btw.... used to post as b

Posted by: dablues | October 29, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

That Madonna woman is just 2 hard 2 comprehend.

VTY

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | October 29, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Here ya go hodie. Have fun, but remember that if you go as a trollsen, you can't eat any candy!

Posted by: VaLGaL | October 29, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"Less shouting"? Gee, you'd think Madonna had some unresolved anger from her marriage to Sean Penn or something. Now that Guy's a veritable songbird about their marital troubles, she'd be better off singing this to him:

"You're so consumed with how much you get
You waste your time with hate and regret
You're frozen when your heart's not open."

Like her music, dislike her as a person, but he's talking way too much. Shoo!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 29, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

This just in:

John McCain has just declared that the fundamentals of Britney Spears finances remain strong.

In other news:

With Jessica Simpson's album at the top of the Russian charts, millions of Russians now declare themselves experts on foreign policy.

Also:

A coalition of Indonesian fashion industry leaders are urging Beyonce to change the name of her clothing line to "House of Durian" since, according to one source, "It stinks."

Posted by: mdreader01 | October 29, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

[R]emember that if you go as a trollsen, you can't eat any candy!

Posted by: VaLGaL | October 29, 2008 11:20 AM

Or anything else! Unless - and this is only a "maybe," if you haven't eaten in a few days - Heather Mills is doing the vegan catering at your Halloween party. And then you're only allowed one bite of soy chicken finger (no dipping sauce!) and half a lettuce leaf.

Posted by: northgs | October 29, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

do the cruises ever let little suri play with other children?

Posted by: dablues | October 29, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Elizabeth Hasselbeck -- OK, not too much, but play along -- because she's completely outnumbered. If "The View" wants to be remotely relevant -- like I said, play along -- at least give her another conservative ally to balance out Joy and Whoopi. It's not like Barbara is doing anything to help.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 29, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

[R]emember that if you go as a trollsen, you can't eat any candy!

Posted by: VaLGaL | October 29, 2008 11:20 AM

Posted by: northgs | October 29, 2008 11:45 AM

I'm gonna have to reconsider my Halloween costume because I really want some MilkDuds.

Posted by: hodie | October 29, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

To me, that mask doesn't look so much like "Hairy Kate" as it does Angelina Jolie in "Girl, Interrupted" -- bonus, not one but TWO costume ideas! Just add pajamas and a Best Supporting Actress Oscar. Done.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 29, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes, PETA, the worst thing about the fashion sense of the Olsen twins is that they wear fur.

Trust Rosie to take someone's personal tragedy and make it all about her. SHUT UP ROSIE.

Posted by: epjd | October 29, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epjd | October 29, 2008 12:30 PM

Copy that. Every tragedy is something ROSIE has to deal with...

Posted by: jezebel3 | October 29, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 29, 2008 12:01 PM
------------
I don't watch it but I think the lady who thinks the world is flat is supposed to balance out Ms. Hasselbeck.

Posted by: pras40 | October 29, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Carol Alt's ex-husband is the biggest *&^%$ on the planet. Best thing she ever did was get free of him.

It just can't be said enough, Tom Cruise is a nutbar. Why doesn't it surprise me that he plans to "oversee" Suri's gymnastics lessons? That poor kid. Just think when she starts school or starts dating ...

Posted by: Californian11 | October 29, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Tom doesn't have to worry about Suri going to school. She'll go to Will Smith's school where the kids stand and salute a picture of her father every morning.

Posted by: epjd | October 29, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

hodie, I really liked Iron Man, and I'm not usually big on comic book movies, so give it a go. On behalf of my industry and the actual artists in it, I apologize for the lack of original stories for movies, but I respectfully request that everyone direct their ire at the suits in the studios who are so afraid of losing their parking space that they say "no" to anything original as they'd actually have to market it intelligently. On the other hand, they salivate over any material that is perceived to have a "built in" audience. You can't imagine how frustrating it is for those of us who write original ideas to get them seriously considered, and the only way to do it is make sure it's "star driven" as the marketing hook.

stepping off soapbox now

Concur that Grechner is an a$$. "my wife is 40 and hot"...what a tool. He used to put up pictures of Alt from the swimsuit issues in the locker room -- kind of like taunting the guys with "see what I go home and (sleep with) every night?" Ick.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | October 29, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

All,

On the one hand, Tom C is a nut-of-the-first-water control freak.

On the other hand, he has nothing better to do.

VTY

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | October 29, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

sorcerer's cat, I'm with you 100%! I know the lack of imagination is not the fault of the artist but to those who bankroll their projects. I hope that one of your ideas gets picked up soon and please let us know when it does so we can say "we knew her when.."

So two movies I have to see now....

Posted by: hodie | October 29, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow- I'm finally able to add comments.

Jessica Simpson's movie is #1? even in Russia? Something must have gotten lost in translation.

Scheduling sex between gym time and forcing hubby to sign contract agreeing to less shouting? It is a wonder that Guy and Madge lasted as long as they did.

From the Carol Alt story: "I have no interest in seeing a 50-year-old woman naked," Greschner said coldly. "My wife right now is 40 and hot, after five kids."

Sounds like Carol Alt's ex-husband will be leaving his newer wife once she turns 50! The dude's quotes throughout the story make him sound like a dou**bag.

Posted by: plamar1031 | October 29, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

In light of yesterday afternoon's conversation, here's a Swayze story on the NYTimes website. Sounds like he's doing pretty well.

Posted by: pras40 | October 29, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Jessica Simpleton's movie #1? even in Russia?! Something clearly got lost in translation.

Judging from the quote from Carol Alt's ex-husband "I don't want to see a naked 50 yr. old, I got a 40 yr old wife who is hot", it sounds like he'll be leaving her once she turns 50. I'm sure he is the picture of sexy with his 50 + self. He sounds like a complete dou**bag.

Joaquin, bro stick to acting! Just cause you played Johnnie Cash doesn't mean you'll have a singing career.

For the love of God, please someone get Tom Cruise into a movie. He sounds really bored- overseeing gym classes w/his daughter in her home gym? I hope they put her in pre-school when she turns 3 so she can start playing/learning w/kids her age.

Posted by: plamar1031 | October 29, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Tina Knowles is very easy on the eyes. And she's 54?? Let me take a long look.....

What!!?!?! Are those headlights I see??!?!!?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | October 29, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

What!!?!?! Are those headlights I see??!?!!?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | October 29, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Hermespal, aka, Sorcerer's Cat, the trends you describe in movie production are a big reason why I watch very few movies in their first run. I'm not enthused about paying $30 for tickets and snacks, and have smarmy audience members ask if me and Ms Snatchquatch do GEICO commercials to watch the kind of crap that Hollywood churns out.

The last couple of first run movies that I saw were Kite Runner and Michael Clayton.

Ms. Snatchquatch and I are obviously not a target demographic of film financiers.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | October 29, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

If I were Guy Ritchie, and Madonna kept waving a sex contract in my face, I'd ask her if the contract included payment terms, as in, "What's my payment for putting out?"

Failing that, I'd order Madonna a set of designer di|d0s and a high-end artificial male companion....and charge them to HER credit card.

Perhaps Guy's divorce filing is his way of fulfilling the contract, as in,

"So you wanna get f@#ked? Okay, now you're f@#ked!"

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | October 29, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse