Posted at 7:48 AM ET, 10/17/2008

Morning Mix: Jolie Says She and Brad Will Probably Adopt Again

By Liz Kelly

Katie Holmes channels her inner genie as she arrives at a cast party following the premiere of her Broadway play, 'All My Sons.' Holmes reportedly designed the jumpsuit herself. (Getty Images)
Friday

Headlines: Angelina Jolie hints at possible adoption of seventh child | Not a good idea, says therapist in NY Daily News... Brad Pitt to star in adaptation of Homer's "Odyssey"... Video: John McCain finally appears on David Letterman show; Lisa de Moraes's take (third item)... Josh Brolin to do George Bush on "Saturday Night Live"... Will Sarah Palin join him?... Jenny McCarthy says her son no longer autistic... Denis Leary says his autism comments were taken out of context... John Mayer celebrates 31st birthday with Jennifer Aniston... George Hamilton says he had affair with his stepmother... Paris Hilton takes England social scene by storm, parties with princes... Stevie Wonder denies housefire claims... Video: Katy Perry takes spectacular fall at MTV Latino awards

Crime Watch: Phil Spector retrial gears up for jury selection.

Rumor Mill: Miley Cyrus and 20-year-old boyfriend get touchy at L.A. fashion week... Madonna asks friends to choose between her and Guy Ritchie... Ritchie relieved he "doesn't have to fake it anymore," says source... Rihanna caught cuddling with Kanye West?

Say What?
"I don't like guns much, and the reason I don't like them is because I do like them." -- Colin Farrell, who remains a mystery wrapped in an enigma buried in six-feet of stupid.

Chat: Comedian Richard Lewis talks about comedy, his role on "Curb Your Enthusiasm," and his upcoming D.C. performance. Noon ET.

Bonus List: Best on-screen presidential portrayals. (Cinematical)

By Liz Kelly  | October 17, 2008; 7:48 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oh Goody! Celebs Ramp Up Political Rhetoric
Next: One More Time: Britney Hits the Web Again

Comments

Man, Madonna shows us that we never escape middle school, do we?

Posted by: NoVa Lady | October 17, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Katie, what's missing from your fab outfit is a nice, floppy gray cardigan.
Actually, I had a dream the other night that Katie came to me and said I had to call her because I was her only friend. Then I picked up my shoe, and there was this little annoying bug with claws like a lobster stuck on the bottom, and it started buzzing around my head. I think the insect was supposed to be Tom Cruise. What does it all mean?!

Posted by: possum | October 17, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I completely understand that Colin Farrell quote. Though to be technical about it, you probably mean "five-foot ten of stupid."

Posted by: td | October 17, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

"Surprisingly, the outfit wasn't the fault of an expensive designer, but is the handiwork of the actress herself."

"The fault"...love it!
Seriously, this is Katie Holmes' big moment, the Broadway debut, and she shows up in some rag bag creation of her own? Unbelievable. Doesn't she have friends, people who will say, "Katie, honey, you can't wear that. It looks stupid."

Posted by: methinks | October 17, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Not a hard choice Madonna, not a hard choice at all.
Jenny, one does not "grow out of" or can be cured of autism. (But one can learn to compensate for it.) If he is no longer autistic, he never had it. I really didn't want to agree with Dennis Leary but in this case he was correct. (but the kid was not the stupid one).
Paris didn't get to meet William or Harry but had to be satisfied with Prince Michael of Kent, a geezer and an F-list royal?

Posted by: hodie | October 17, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I am patiently waiting to see what byoolin and/or Sasquatch do with that George Hamilton item. All I can come up with is: "If you were 21, it was an 'affair.' At 12, it's a Rob Lowe/Jacqueline Bisset fantasy."

Posted by: td | October 17, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I can't see the video of Katy Perry, but I read a play-by-play online. That sounds seriously embarassing, but also insanely funny!!!

Posted by: flutterbyjen | October 17, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

What the heck is up with all of these actresses who do the toes in I'm so bashful and insecure stance... Look at how Katie is standing or walking or whatEVER it is she is doing. Who walks like that, and can you without tripping on your ridiculously platform heels? Do the Thetans make her? I mean seriously. Stand upright, shoulders back, head up - just like your momma (who Tom won't let you talk to anymore) told you to.

It's just like those starving actresses who always hunch their shoulders. It is as if their body is so hungry it is consuming itself from within... They must have a whole lot of self hate going on.

BTW what the heck is a Thetan and is it good or bad or do I even want to know???

Posted by: LTL woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but at least she ate breakfast... | October 17, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Jenny, I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that your kid most likely did not have autism, because if you did manage to "cure" him I'm pretty sure the AMA would be beating down your door trying to get your secret formula.

Say George Hamilton: 'When I was very young, 12, I had a relationship with my stepmother. Yeah. She was about 28, 30. It was very normal.'

-No there is really nothing very normal about any of that. Unless of course his step mother was a school teacher in Seattle.

Wouldn't it be awesome if all of Madonna's friends chose to abandon her to hang out with Guy?

Brad, the Odyssey? Really? Don't you remember 'Troy'?

Regarding on-screen presidents, I love Peter Fonda's role in Fail-Safe, one of my favorite Cold War movies.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 17, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Do you think Brad can top Armand Assante's version of the Odyssey? lol

Katie's pants remind me of old 80's sweat pants. Her shirt(is that what that is?) looks like the cat got to it.

Posted by: hodie | October 17, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Memo to: Guy Ritchie:
re: "doesn't have to fake it anymore"

Please explain how you fake an orgasm.

Posted by: Curmudgeon rubs the sleep boogers from her eyes | October 17, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I remember reading somewhere that it was Jenny McCarthy who decided first that her son had autism, then went around to doctors to confirm her diagnosis. This might sound cynical, but I suppose she needed a way to keep her name in the press, no matter the cost to her child.

Posted by: jelo | October 17, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

No problem for Bradjolina to adopt again. They just need to adopt an inventor who won't bother them except for a cash infusion now and then...

Posted by: Elias Howe | October 17, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Katie, your husband has made enough money by now, you can afford a stylist. Seek one out immediately.

Does the article say if Madge was crushed when all of her friends and even some family chose Guy over her?

To all of those celebs on the C - F lists who feel like sharing. Don't. George Hamilton, it is never ok for you to share.

Posted by: petal | October 17, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

OK, not to say Colin Farrell is smart, but that makes sense to me. It is like when people say, alcohol scares me because I like it too much. Given his self-destructive tendencies, I can easily understand that he is saying he doesn't want to have guns because he is afraid of what he might do.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Those poor children of that couple who keep adopting and having more children one way or another....Is there a contest? I fear as teens and adults they will be THE most dysfunctional people we have seen yet having been raised by 2 of the most non-nurturing, self absorbed, unstable people I have ever heard of...and I hear they ( aren't even married and she is estranged from HER own father !!! ) OH what a secure, nurturing and mature household!! NOT !!!! How tragic!

Posted by: rita Gee | October 17, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Angelina Jolie keeps collecting ethnic orphans because there's a shortage of stray cats in France?

And Guy Ritchie must be so glad, because now he's regained custody of his cajones ...

Posted by: Lucian | October 17, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Please explain how you fake an orgasm.

******************************************

Well sometimes...

Posted by: Dorkus starts to explain but then realizes he probably shouldn't... | October 17, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Branjelina can adopt me if they want. I promise I won't try to seduce Daddy.

Posted by: SlackingAgain | October 17, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Having a little guy who gets vaccines every couple of months, I have read some of the literature out there about autism. There have been a few stories about people who claim to have used diet and vitamins and such to cure their kids of autism. I do not think there is any medical back up to these claims other than a genuine diagnosis and then genuinely perplexed doctors saying ok, now he doesn't have it...
So, it may or may not be possible to cure or at least ameliorate autism, I think it just remains unknown at this time.

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 17, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone see Mark Wahlberg on Jimmy Kimmel last night? (In my defense, I was flipping through the channels.) What a d-bag! He is ALL worked up over that SNL skit about him talking to animals. Get a grip. you'd think he would be happy that he is still relevant! (Said as someone who LOVED him when he was with the Funky Bunch)

Posted by: Betty's going to concentrate on Donnie from now on... | October 17, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I can't just hear Tim Gunn in my head, "Katie, this worries me."

Posted by: Mz Fitz | October 17, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, but does Team Guy as listed in that article seem to be full of people who are more substantial and less vapid than Team Madonna?

Dennis, glad you cleared that up. Still not buying your book, though.

Posted by: b | October 17, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Ok, Brangelina annoy me and I don't like Jennifer Aniston either (so I'm not on the Team Aniston or the Team Angelina).

and I have 5 children of my own - so I think I have some perspective here.

Angelina's statements are odd. They are very odd. Her insights about her children (they aren't surprised when we bring more home?) seem to lack the understanting that each child will have an individual reaction and opinion.

I suspect this is because her children are all still quite young - under age 7. Developmentally, perhaps they are not capable of understanding or communicating their opinions. Angelina's comments appear to be her ASSIGNING the children their reactions to having more come home, not RELATING their opinions to us.

And I am very surprised that Maddox, who was an only child for most of his life, isn't having a different reaction to sibling after sibling entering his life, than say, Knox, who is 3 or 4 months old.

Perhaps Angelina is just making off-hand comments b/c she doesn't want to talk about her children, so here's some advice: If your goal is to maintain your privacy, stop talking about your children.

There! That's better than the odd comments that make her sound like she's rearing a litter of kittens instead of 6 people with individual personalities.

Posted by: Amelia | October 17, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I don't have kids or anything, but these kids that were diagnosed with autism and then suddenly cured of it, could it be that maybe they were just developing slower and the parents demanded a diagnosis so doctors gave it to them? I had a friend that was insistant that her 6 y/o son had ADD. To me, I didn't think he was anymore active then any other little boy, but that didn't disuade her from putting him on Ritalin. Next time I saw him, he was practically comatose, drooling on the floor.

Posted by: anon for this | October 17, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Katie's outfit looks like it started out to be some white harem pants with a sexy, lacy black blouse and Tom said, "You can't go out wearing that!," so she dug up some leftover fabric and whipped up that little whatever it is....

Posted by: b | October 17, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Favorite cinema presidents: Merkin Muffley (Peter Sellers), followed closely by James Dale (Jack Nicholson). I don't like my screen Presidents to be too serious.

Posted by: b | October 17, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Per Guy Ritchie vs. Madonna:

Let's see - hang out with the guy who looks his age, brought us "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels", and most likely knows how to have fun...or hang out with the she thinks she's unpredictable but in reality is as predictable as mud slinging in a presidential election Madonna.

No brainer for mer.

As for Ritchie not having to fake it...does that mean he'll start making kick-ass movies again instead of things Madonna would like or would like to star in?

Posted by: Chasmosaur | October 17, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Clearly, Brad Pitt's considering "The Odyssey" because "Troy" was so tragically overlooked by the Academy. My question is, will Orlando Bloom play Penelope or one of the Sirens?

Posted by: BxNY | October 17, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I can't just hear Tim Gunn in my head, "Katie, this worries me."

Posted by: Mz Fitz | October 17, 2008 9:46 AM

Mz Fitz you are so right! Tim, time for a style intervention. But in Katie's defense isn't that what all sylish Xenon's (or whatever they're called)wearing these days?

Posted by: hodie | October 17, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Uh. Well. Angie, I like you, but your crazy is starting to show. This is starting to sound less like "I'd love a big family" and more like "I'm a few species away from being a crazy cat lady".

And don't forget, Colin Farrell is a mystery wrapped in an enigma buried in six feet of stupid and THEN dipped in whiskey and Old Spice.

Posted by: Bawlmer | October 17, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

George Hamilton says he had affair with his stepmother

At least George didn't turn out like Hippolytus (or Anthony Perkins).

Posted by: Nosy Parker channels Greek mythology and Jules Dassin | October 17, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it but based on Jenny McCarhty''s story, Leary may be right. Parents see that their child is not reading the encyclopedia by age 2, so they run around to doctors trying to find out the "problem." Eventually, some doctor hands out some drugs to shut the parent up. There is nothing wrong with the kid, except being overmedicated by a stupid parent.

And speaking of stupid parents, we have the Pitt-Jolie Clan. If the mom is suffering from post-partum depression, both parents are tired from being up all night with newborn twins and mom loses her baby weight by never eating, adding another child to the mix is not the brightest thing. How about you get some out of diapers before you add another one.

Katie Holmes is hoping the fashion police arrest her and take her away from Tom. Jail is the only place she will be safe.

Posted by: ep | October 17, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

You know how crazy ladies hoard lots of cats? Do you think Brangelina has this same affliction with kids?

Posted by: jaybbub | October 17, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaybbub | October 17, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Guy - I pick you.

Posted by: LTL likes Madonna's music but likes Jason Stratham more | October 17, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

If autism was caused by vaccines, and could be cured by a wheat-and-dairy-free diet, shouldn't there be actual medical studies backing that up? Oh, I forgot, there's a big conspiracy orchestrated by the entire medical community to make kids autistic. Right.
I am really disgusted with Us for putting such obvious crap on their cover.

Posted by: julia | October 17, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Brad actually stood out in Troy as true to his character of Achilles: young, imnpetuous, egotistical, prone to tantrums. Don't know how much of it was acting, but he was way better than the rest of the cast.

Posted by: Red Dragon | October 17, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Leary context: out of the context of being a comedian, or the context of being an a-hole?

Posted by: Red Dragon | October 17, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Dennis, y'ever notice that the joint of your knee is so much larger than the joint of your ankle? The reason for that is so that you don't swallow your whole leg when you put your foot in your mouth ...

Posted by: Lucian | October 17, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Memo to: Elias Howe
re: adoption availability

If I had any cash left for infusing, I'd adopt you - if only for your raging sense of humor.

Memo to: Dorkus
re: faking it

Yeah, but can men fake it as well?

Memo to: Katie Holmes
re: wearing your own designs

GAK!

Memo to: byoolin
re: presence required

Wherefore art thou?

Posted by: Curmudgeon sends snowflakes | October 17, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red Dragon | October 17, 2008 10:41 AM

***

It would be hard to miss the latter - Leary himelf sings about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNzZzsvOClc

Posted by: byoolin is one too, most days. | October 17, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

An example of "byoolin is one too, most days" would be if I'd failed to promptly append a reminder that the video is NSFW.

Posted by: byoolin | October 17, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Over on Britishroyalwedding.com (don't ask, just don't), they are saying William was snuggling with Paris in the VIP section of Whisky Mist. Kate Middleton will NOT be happy.

Posted by: ep | October 17, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

There are studies showing children's diets helping in a number of other brain-related illnesses (epilepsy, Tourettes). Jenny's son had seizures and was originally diagnosed with epilepsy; perhaps he was misdiagnosed later with autism or perhaps the gains he's seeing now are from related illnesses. I can easily see how effects of seizure meds could resemble autism. Or, hell, maybe somehow Jenny McCarthy is really on to something.

The problem, for me, is she's 100% sure in everything she says. No big deal about trying a new diet on a kid, but it is dangerous to say to groups of parents that vaccines are the cause of autism if you have no proof.

Posted by: Sarabeth | October 17, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Overheard after George Hamilton and stepmom got it on:

"Ohmigod, I thought you were soon-to-be-famous country music singer George Hamilton IV!!"

[singing] "I kissed my mom/and I liked it"

"Can you believe that someday soon they'll send teachers to prison for this?"

"Fine, then: you tell me how Rob Lowe compares, and I'll tell you about Jackie Bisset."

Posted by: byoolin | October 17, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Jake & Maggie Gyllenhaal's Parents Call it Quits

Posted by: Breaking News | October 17, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Paris was snuggling with Prince William -- what happened to the other Madden brother? Did I miss Celebritology that day?

Posted by: 44west | October 17, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Assuming the G-rated understanding of "doesn't have to fake it anymore," Guy was never doing such a good job of that, IMO. He looked unhappy in every photo I ever saw of him. That is, until yesterday's link, where he seemed to sport a genuine, unforcement smile in a photo on set with Robert Downey Jr.

Guess he didn't like all the attention, but couldn't he see that coming miles away before getting involved with Madonna?

I see that Brad Pitt is on Team Guy -- too bad Brad never took Guy out for a pint to teach him how to surrender to the adoption- and papparazi-fueled fun.

Posted by: 44west | October 17, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, man, you slay me! The George Hamilton (9:01) and faking (9:39) comments were GREAT. Bravo.

And byoolin, I knew you would come through, as always. Nice touch about George Hamilton IV.

Stevie Wonder denies housefire claims --"I didn't see any fire." (Oh c'mon, I know it's a cheap shot, but someone had to do it.)

As for Angelina/Brad, I already railed too much about that yesterday so I'm just going to say today that I am on Team Jennifer Aniston now, and I don't like her much either.

I miss luvlinsey. Where art she?

Posted by: td | October 17, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Is Katie Holmes channeling Diane Keaton is that get-up?

Posted by: cuz sometimes I wonder | October 17, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Clearly Katie Holmes needs new gays. Tom Cruise is not good enough.

I'm trying to understand the Mirror's write-up of the princes' night out. I'm not as fluent in British as Madonna or Gywneth.
- The night was a right royal knees-up.
- necking vodka cocktails (how does one neck a cocktail?)
- asked King caner Wills ("caner?")
- slap-up dinner
- which alerted Jordan to Harry taking
the mick.

And Madonna, I'm on Team Ritchie.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | October 17, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Madonna asks friends to choose between her and Guy Ritchie.

That behavior alone should be enough to make nearly everyone pick Team Ritchie.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 17, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Is Katie Holmes channeling Diane Keaton is that get-up?

Posted by: cuz sometimes I wonder | October 17, 2008 11:50 AM
--------------------------------------
I meant "IN" that get-up

Posted by: cuz should preview before submitting | October 17, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

To 11:50: Even Diane Keaton could've done better than that, which isn't saying a whole lot. Katie's outfit looks like a cry for help.

MoCoSnarky, I recall that someone defined "knees up" here a couple of weeks ago. I think it just means to party. Doesn't a "slap-up dinner" just mean it was really great?

No one liked (or got) my "Phaedra" allusion re George Hamilton and step-mom? Must go drown sorrows at Tiki Bar.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 17, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Betty- Thank you for posting that bit about Mark Wahlberg. For some reason, I thought the Andy Samberg skit was hilarious, and now it's soooo much better.

Also, I'm surprised today hasn't turned into a serious BKD...

Posted by: Now Sully's going to talk to this donkey- | October 17, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I say, "Go team Guy"- I'm sure that dude is so happy to be out of the union w/that self absorbed broad.

Ewwww, George Hamilton f'ing his stepmom- that's just icky and something he should only share w/his therapist, not the rest of the world.

Ange and Brad (I hate that combo name of theirs)- slow it down dudes! What's the f'ing rush? You just had twins for heavens sake. Granted we don't have the battery of help that they must have, but me and Mr. Plamar are exhausted at the end of the day with our almost 3 yr old and our 4 month old children. I want to know what energy drink they consume to keep up w/their brood.

Glad Dennis Leary cleared up the autism remarks- that was unfair to clip out a sentence without providing the context in which it was said.

Poor Paris H.- based upon those pics from the Daily Mail, it looked like she was the only one dancing at the over-50 crowd. I think her invite to party w/ the young royals got lost in the mail somewhere...

Posted by: plamar1031 | October 17, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

No BKD regarding angelina. We've done it to death. There are only so many times we can say "she's crazy." "No, she's not." "She's a collector" "No she is a great humanitarian who can give those kids a good home." "Those kids have no stability with all the moving" "Moving often does not harm children."

Posted by: ep | October 17, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Not that this will be decided in their divorce proceedings, but can we (USA) get Guy while the UK keeps Madge? She may get a genuine British accent if she stays there. They can also keep that insouciant, goopy, Gwyneth Paltrow.

Posted by: plamar1031 | October 17, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

*****************************************

The only thing Diane Keaton would have differently would be to wear some kind of tacky hat and rose colored glasses.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 17, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Team Guy

And I vote with keeping Madonna over there.

Posted by: Amelia | October 17, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Favorite cinema president: Groucho Marx as Rufus T. Firefly, President of Freedonia.

Posted by: lafred | October 17, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

If I was Kate Middleton, I wouldn't let Wills anywhere near me until he had taken a serious disinfectant bath and scrubbed himself nearly raw.

The same thing I feel like doing after being thoroughly grossed out by George Hamilton.

Can Katie not walk straight without Tom-crazy there to lead her along or keep a tight grip on her? I couldn't help scanning the scene around her to see where he was ... I can't believe he would let her out on her own, without him to mind her.

Posted by: Californian | October 17, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

at the CAT SHOW yesterday and some one say well I HOPE WE SEE BRAD PIT"S NAKkED BUM in his new movie and i said HUH! AS IF! movie called HOMER like as in SIMPSON??? why doesnt he have a CAT???? not normal...all these kids and nives and NO KITTIE? JEN the FABOLUS JEN!! doesnt need you and your nakked BUM! HUGSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: luvjen | October 17, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Californian

Agreed. Though I think that in order to keep its celebs in the fold, Scientology panders to their vanity projects, in this case Katie's fashion designing, which are only a cut above the Emperor's New Clothes.

For a round-up of tidbits from media reviews of Mrs. Cruise's official Broadway debut last night:
Among the tastier morsels:
NYT - "...delivers most of her lines with meaningful asperity, italicizing every word."
Variety - "...handles her role as death's messenger with neither distinction nor embarrassment. She lacks the technique to match her co-stars' depths..."
USA Today - "At best, she exhibits a girlish exuberance that could serve her well in certain stage roles..."
AP - "...has a striking physical presence, although not much vocal variety."
Newsday - "...earnest and pretty, like a talented girl in a school play."
Chi Trib - "...you wish she channeled a little more of her modest origins... and a little less of her current heightened reality."

BTW, what do Katie and Joe-the-Plumber have in common?

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorkus | October 17, 2008 9:01 AM

-----------------------------------------

Dorkus, it was Peter's father.

As for Guy Ritchie, I'm backing up one level: there's little need to fake an orgasm with someone when they're having sex with A-Rod instead of your rod.

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Ah, all you "Odyssey" haters, CLEARLY you didn't read the article.

"[Warner Bros and Pitt's] intention is to transfer the tale to a futuristic setting in outer space."

Because nothing says "box office smash" like space opera in iambic pentameter! I wonder if they can get William Shatner to perform as the blind singer.

Posted by: Bawlmer hums "GREEKS...IN...SPAAAAAAACE!" | October 17, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Transferring classical mythology or literature to more recent locations isn't necessarily a guarantee of failure. Consider O’Neill’s Civil War updating of the Oresteia, "Mourning Becomes Electra," or Sondheim's "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum." If I weren't also trying to read Pookie's chat and get some actual work done at the same time, I might be able to come up with more examples.

Posted by: Nosy Parker thinks multi-tasking is a farce | October 17, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

BTW, what do Katie and Joe-the-Plumber have in common?

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 17, 2008 1:24 PM

same stylist?

Posted by: hodie | October 17, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

My daft behind just clicked the link to the story in the Mirror about Wills and Paris and the ever orange Christina A. so scratch my previous remarks above about her lost invitation to party w/the young royals.

What a skank that Paris is- didn't she just ooze on about how in love and normal she is w/Benji M? That's another US "celebrity" I vote we give to the UK- we don't need a trade for that one.

Posted by: plamar1031 | October 17, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Transferring classical mythology or literature to more recent locations isn't necessarily a guarantee of failure."

True, true; I'd also point at "O Brother, Where Art Thou" or two-thirds of Shakespeare productions. It's just the potential confluence of rail guns and cyclops (cyclopses? cyclopi?) that's got me laughing.

Posted by: Bawlmer | October 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

hodie, anything's possible, though that wasn't what I had in mind.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 17, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Good points all, Bawlmer.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I think Brad and Angelina are planning to adopt another boy. Perhaps they are anticipating Maddox and Pax understandably excluding Knox in the future from much of their play and many of their activities because of the age difference.

Brad and Angelina are not going to want to leave Knox clustered with 3 sisters.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The plural of "cyclops" is "cyclopes."

Posted by: Nosy Parker misses Mouse, who probably would have known this without having to look it up | October 17, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

RIP Levi Stubbs, of the Four Tops.

Posted by: Nosy Parker also loved his classic "Mean Green Mother from Outer Space" | October 17, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

BTW, what do Katie and Joe-the-Plumber have in common?

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 17, 2008 1:24 PM

Does it have anything to do with him being called a plumber but he doesn't have a license and her being called and actress and the reviews saying otherwise?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous, I like the cut of your jib!

But no, it's just that both are from Toledo. So's Jamie Farr, though I couldn't figure out how to work him logically into the (Morning) Mix too.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 17, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Is Wills losing his hair? If you look closely at the photo of him and Xtina, there may be a spot @ the top where the hair's thinning. Perhaps he has more of his father's qualities than we knew.

Posted by: not that there's anything wrong with it | October 17, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps he has more of his father's qualities than we knew.

I thought it was Harry's real paternity that was the subject of speculation.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 17, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Wills is going very thin on top. Fortunately I think that's about the only thing he inherited from his father, penis size included. I mean have you seen Kate M.? That is one happy looking young lady.

Posted by: possum | October 17, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: possum | October 17, 2008 2:29 PM
-----------------------------------------
Possum, you're right. She does always seem to have a huge, chesire cat, satisfied smile on her face. Up until now, I always assumed that it was just because she was about to be royalty.

Posted by: Hmmm... | October 17, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I am unpleasantly surprised every time I see Katie's jumpsuit. And the back is even worse - it looks like the zipper wouldn't zip, or she got tired of sewing and just pinned the top. Horrible. Just. Plain. Horrible.

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 17, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: possum | October 17, 2008 2:29 PM

Not to get too graphic, but speaking as a woman, just cause you have a big penis, doesn't mean you know how to use it. Though, it helps.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Jumpsuits are supposed to be "in" again. But the fad never lasts long, because it's such a hassle every time the wearer has to go to the bathroom, having to get half-undressed first.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is that second picture of Jenny McCarthy and her son scary? His thumb is obviously poking into her breast - presumably he's past the breastfeeding stage at the age of 6?

I mean, why did US post that particular picture?

Posted by: schnitz | October 17, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I mean, why did US post that particular picture?

Posted by: schnitz | October 17, 2008 3:01 PM

Maybe they were trying to signal something to readers without risking a defamation lawsuit from Jenny.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

This sounds like something out of "The Player" or "The Big Picture." Is this for real? I can imagine the studio pitch.

And am I the only one who thought of the press tour scene in "Notting Hill"? Hugh Grant, posing as a reporter for "House & Hound" magazine, asks Julia Roberts if her new film, "Helix," features horses or hounds.

She replies, "Well, no, because the movie takes place in SPACE."

("How about in your next film?" "It takes place in a submarine.")

Posted by: td | October 17, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Nosy Parker and others, re: classical references

This is what always seems to happen on the days I am away from the computer until late. I come back and discover that I would have had plenty to say.

Love the Hippolytus/Phaedra reference. Given that there's going to be a remake of "Clash of the Titans," there's still a chance for the appropriate, albeit greatly delayed ending. Cast George Hamilton and maybe there will be an on-set accident with the Kraken.

Also cannot decide what to think about a new "Odyssey" movie, even if it's a couple hours of looking at Brad Pitt. If they transfer it to outer space, I think they lose an opportunity to exploit some of his best features. Spacesuits are quite covering, tunics not so much.

Posted by: mouse | October 17, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse