Posted at 7:35 AM ET, 10/ 1/2008

Morning Mix: Judge Says Sharon Stone Wanted to Botox Son's Feet

By Liz Kelly

Diane Lane at Tuesday's German premiere of "Nights in Rodanthe." (Getty Images)
Wednesday

Headlines: Ill Janet Jackson released from hospital, cancels two concert dates... Judge says Sharon Stone wanted to give her son Botox shots to control foot odor... Russell Crowe says he gained 63 pounds for movie role... Kim Kardashian cut from "Dancing With the Stars"... Jenny McCarthy, Amanda Peet battle over childhood vaccines... Salma Hayek steps out with ex... Paris Hilton: God saved DJ AM... Rosie Perez refuses to ride New York subway... Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher want you to vote for Obama... Sienna Miller wins paparazzi damages suit... Oprah's mom countersues store for $156K bill... Pic: Naomi Watts's maternity style.

Crime Watch: Bret Michaels stops "Rock of Love Bus" production following fatal truck crash... Nicole Ritchie gets her license back.

Rumor Mill: Daniel Craig crashes baptism celebration... Barack Obama salutes Leonard Nimoy with Vulcan hand symbol... 911 caller tipped off paparazzi to Heather Locklear's DUI bust.

By Liz Kelly  | October 1, 2008; 7:35 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebrity Designer: Alyssa Milano, Jersey Gal
Next: Reality Watch: 'Paris Hilton's My New BFF'

Comments

Daniel Craig in a swimsuit is ... nice.

Posted by: One night only | October 1, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

How much you want to bet that Nimoy's first thought at seeing Obama flash the Vulcan V was "Oh, you've got to be f-ing kidding me..."

It's nice to know there's at least one kind of wreck that can put the brakes on Bret Michaels, because so far, I haven't seen otherwise.

I'm shocked...SHOCKED that they cut Kim K. from that show. She's all T&A, and isn't that what ballroom is all about?

Oh, and thanks for running the pic of my darling Diane.

Posted by: 23112 | October 1, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Sharon Stone - what is wrong with you? You adopted a CHILD, not a DOLL.

From the article:

"The judge said Bronstein [the father] had a more "simple and common sense approach" to Roan's problem: he made sure he "wore socks with his shoes and used foot deodorant" to avoid "any invasive procedure on this young child."

Sharon sounds insane - and unfit. She went to botox before...socks!

Posted by: Amelia | October 1, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry...Sharon Stone wanted to botox her 8-year-old's feet because of foot odor? That's just nutty. Poor kid. Note to Sharon: 8-year-old boys are stanky. Let him be.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

First ScarJo getting married and now Salma getting back together with her ex!

Quick! Elias needs a heart defibulation.

Posted by: Elias Howe | October 1, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

That Sharon Stone story sounds amplified for shock value. For all we know, Botox could make medical sense. Whatever.

No more shrimps for you, Russell. Back away from the barbie stat.

"Kim Kardashian" and "Stars" in the same sentence? Nope, still not feeling it.

I have this vision of Jenny saying, "HEY, that's MY rubella shot" and Amanda responding, "Puh-leeze, grrl, you think rubella is an Italian dance. Give me back that hypodermic, you Playboy has-been!"

Oprah's mom countersuing. Un-be-liev-a-ble. Just ask your daughter for the change in her couch.

Nicole Ritchie is old enough to drive? I mean, sure she's had a baby, but still.

Daniel Craig: "The name is God, your God." Cue not-quite-A-list singer in the choir loft singing a rewritten, "From Heaven with Love" as the credits roll. . . .

Posted by: td | October 1, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

The Sharon Stone thing is a classic example of a little info going a long way. She is seriously wackadoodle.

I have a friend's personal story about her that shows just what a [explative for not nice person] she is.

Friend's uncle was a well liked chef in NYC, his wake was hosted by Marriott and at the Marquis downtown, friend was at the front desk asking for direction to the room where the wake was being held. SS walks up and interrupts their conversation with a question.

The lovely person behind the desk says very politely 'I will be with you just as soon as I finish with Mr. X'. To which Mz. Stone replies 'don't you know who I am, and walks off in a huff to find management'.

Posted by: LTL is scared of the ice pick | October 1, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

TD - get what you are saying and it is within the realm of the possible, but if a judge in a public proceeding is going on record about it??? This isn't Lance Ito after all... (boooyah with the 90's reference!)

Posted by: LTL agrees in principle with TD | October 1, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: The big yawn | October 1, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

LTL: Get over you, Marsha Clark! Yeah, a judge did say it, but I thought it might've been part of a larger list stated more for the record and less to make a point about Sharon's craziness.

Of course, upon actually reading that story (I usually hate giving US Magazine web traffic), the judge saying, "Unfortunately, the problem caused by [Stone's] overreactions is painfully real for this child" proves you are correct.

Posted by: td defers to the wonderful counselor LTL | October 1, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Nimoy was talking about the salute on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and sounded highly amused.

Posted by: MGC | October 1, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

SS walks up and interrupts their conversation with a question.

Posted by: LTL is scared of the ice pick | October 1, 2008 9:02 AM

Right. Regular people never interrupt conversations or walk off in huffs...

Posted by: Get over yourself | October 1, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Sharon Stone is looking pretty worn in that picture. Maybe instead of botoxing her son's feet she should use some herself.

I don't know whose medical advise to take, Jenny's or Amanda's. Every time i try to listen to their arguments I keep getting lost in their eyes.

I was undecided in this election until Ashton and Demi told me who to vote for, thank you for that.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 1, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

td and LTL:

What about ME! I quoted from the story about the Judge's comments on botoxing a child's feet first! Why aren't you giving ME credit! Don't you know who I am? I'm walking off in a huff to get to my plastic surgery appt.

whoops! sorry! I momentarily channeled Sharon Stone.

Posted by: Amelia | October 1, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Today's Morning Mix is brought to you by Botox. Feel "morning fresh" with Botox odor-control injections. And you'll have the smoothest feet imaginable!

If Russell Crowe can gain another 50lbs, he's a shoe-in for the next America's Biggest Loser.

Kim Kardashian: "Today, five years ago, my father passed away, and I just know he's really happy and watching over me, and I made him proud." Kim, sweetie, if there were a Heaven, don't you think there'd be something better on the tube? (Or did your papa join all the attorneys in That Other Place?)

Liz Kelly, that's "noted epidemiologists Jenny McCarthy, Amanda Peet, etc...."

God saved DJ AM, but let four others die of smoke inhalation?

td, et al, I hope you noticed the sure-fire Daniel Craig bait described in the story: he "was lured in by the sound of bagpipes."

Posted by: byoolin would love to hear a few bars of "Scotland The Brave." | October 1, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

And people who interrupt conversations and walk off in huffs exclaiming 'don't you know who I am' are also [expletive for not nice person] so your point is what exactly?

Posted by: LTL hates to bite at troll bait but... | October 1, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Amelia - you are right and deserve first in props... I do like the 'she chose botox before socks' it made me laugh and it rhymed!

And after having provoked the troll, LTL is outties!

Posted by: LTL is off to sign up for bagpipe lessons | October 1, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

When I read parts of the Sharon Stone article to Mr. Parker, he suggested that Stone could solve the stinky-feet problem by just taking Roan to the zoo so a Komodo dragon could bite off the kid's feet. (Clearly snarkiness is a learned trait in the Parker family.)

The judge says "it's unclear how Stone has 'limited her career to make herself available for Roan.'" Maybe Stone should have run for Vice President instead.

Jenny McCarthy, Amanda Peet battle over childhood vaccines.

Since this is not the Parenting blog, I'll only mention Edward Jenner, who developed the vaccine against smallpox (which had a 1 in 3 fatality rate) over 200 years ago. But hey, Jenny, don't let your pretty little mind get confused by science.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 1, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LTL hates to bite at troll bait but... | October 1, 2008 9:28 AM

Oh, no. SS is NOT A NICE PERSON!!!!!
Is that your point?

Posted by: Bite this | October 1, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Since this is not the Parenting blog,

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 1, 2008 9:33 AM

Code Blue for the OP.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

You go Amanda Peet! Just let Jenny McCarthy still think that she can "cure" autism.

Posted by: Betty | October 1, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I am totally going to start interrupting people when I check into a hotel and then responding with "Don't you know who I am?" just to get them guessing.

Posted by: Betty | October 1, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Betty, dear, when you come to the Lizard Island hotel you ARE a star!

Posted by: The management of the Lizard Island Hotel | October 1, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey bite this at 9:42, yes, ltl was saying that Sharon is not a nice person. LTL is also saying that anyone who would cut in line at a hotel front desk and interrupt someone is a very rude person.
You are also a very rude person and quite stupid if you did not understand LTL's point.

Posted by: anon | October 1, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Betty | October 1, 2008 9:54 AM

LOL!! Then wait for the geeks to talk about it on the Net!!

Posted by: Tee hee | October 1, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Kathy Griffin did a hilarious bit about Sharon Stone hosting the AmFar awards. SS quoted the lyrics to "Imagine" and then told an interminable story about passing John Lennon on the street in NYC once. "He looked at me. And I looked at him." And then they went their separate ways.

When Kathy took the stage next, she recited lyrics to "Hound Dog" and said she had a similar experience passing Elvis in Memphis, "and I f-d him."

Posted by: td | October 1, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Daniel Craig can "crash" my "baptism" any old time he wants. Oh yeah.

Posted by: jaybbub | October 1, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

It's too early in the morning to follow "fatal truck crash" with "Nicole Ritchie gets her license back."

Kim Kardashian cut from DWTS...does this mean she was bested by Cloris Leachman? How cool is that?

I'm not the least bit surprised that Obama flashed Nimoy the Vulcan salute. "Live Long and Propser" is a major feature of his economic plan. Mostly because, in the short term, life is gonna suck, so if you want to prosper, you have to be in it for the long haul.

I was typing too fast and almost replaced the "c" with a "v" in Vulcan. I think the hand gesture would probably be the same, no?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | October 1, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Truly celebrities do not live in the same world as us. When faced with stinky feet of our children, we make them take a bath and use Dr. Scholls. When celebs' kids' feet stink, they don't bother with nanny bathing them, they go right for the cosmetic surgery. It is the cure for all ills. Perhaps that is how Jenny McCarthy cured her child's autism.

Posted by: ep | October 1, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | October 1, 2008 10:22 AM

****

If it weren't, that would be a shocker.

Posted by: byoolin | October 1, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"George Kennedy (a.k.a Dragline) dishes on Paul Newman in 'Cool Hand Luke'":

Kennedy, 83, retired and living near Boise, gives a great background account of Newman's banjo scene in the movie.

Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher want you to vote for Obama.

Presumably Bruce Willis is supporting McCain, however.

Oprah's mom countersues store for $156K bill. From the article: "Court papers say [Oprah's mother] resolved a 2002 case with the company over a $175,000 bill. The resolution prohibited Valentina [the store] from extending further credit to her."

There are two sides to some stories, in this case the apparently irresponsible extension of credit, which is hardly unique to this one store in recent years, of course. If Oprah were to pay her mother's bill (which she could effortlessly afford), wouldn't people start snarking on Lady O for being an enabler?

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 1, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Truly celebrities do not live in the same world as us.

Posted by: ep | October 1, 2008 10:28 AM

Duh! That's why they have clipboard Nazis.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 1, 2008 10:37 AM

Why would anyone who lives outside of trailer park give a rat's a$s about Lady O or her mother??

Posted by: Confused | October 1, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Confused | October 1, 2008 10:48 AM

Liz posted a link to the story, so it's fair game for snarking here. If you're not interested, don't comment on it.

Posted by: it's simple | October 1, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

So, I thought the botox thing was pretty nutty. I did a quick google search and turns out it's a real treatment for really, really sweaty feet. IT treats the sweaty, not the smelly, although the smelly may be caused by the sweaty...anyhoo, it's still nuts to jump straight to botox. I agree with Amelia that maybe trying socks and foot powder would be a better start.

I love, love, love Rosie Perez! I also refuse to ride the subway - ew, ew, ick! I do wonder why Rosie would need to ride the subway, doesn't she have a driver? And, I just simply refuse to believe that she is a "woman of a certain age."

Jenny M - I wish you and your autistic child the very best, but deciding between the slim chance that my little guy might get autism from a vaccination, or the pretty good chance that he might get mumps, measles or ruebella without the vaccination seems like a no brainer to me...we'll get the shots and then have some ice cream!

Russell Crowe - yo fatty carm down. Some one had to say it, ya know?

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 1, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

They also Botox armpits to stop the sweating. I don't know if the FDA has approved of either the feet or the armpit procedure though.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 1, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Starlets walking the red carpet at awards shows have been getting botox in their pits to prevent embarrassing underarm sweat, so it's not surprising that Stone thought of it for her son's sweaty feet, although it should only be a last desperate measure, not the first course of action.

Posted by: to sunnydaze | October 1, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

ok folks, this is my escape from real work but I will give this one free consultation.
Perhaps before we villify SS for seeking Botox treatments for her son we should no all the facts. Yes it is a legit treatment for a condition called hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). A physician would not even consider this treatment esp for a child unless all conservative treatments have been tried and the condition was serious enough to warrant the treatment. He probably suffers from horrible rashes and sores and infections. I do not have access to this patient's protected healthcare information to tell you but the doctor's priority is to "First do no harm". No mother,no matter if she is a real bee'ach or what, will put their child through painful foot injections just for stinky feet. Totally blown out of proportion. I heard this on the radio last night and this made me mad. Thanks for letting me vent. Now onto snarking.

Posted by: hodie, MD. | October 1, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

why does Jenny McCarthy continue to uphold her completely wrong opinion? Numerous studies funded by groups on both sides have said there is NO link btwn vaccines and autism. Now it's just become shameless self-promotion to sell her crappy books. I used to really like her and now she makes my skin crawl...UGH. Go Amanda Peet!

Posted by: ugh jen mc | October 1, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Sunnydaze, you are right on about immunizations. There are well documented, large scale studies that have shown no correlation of autism with immunizations. People assume that it is the cause because autism generally is diagnosed between 15 mo and 3 yrs of age and guess which shot kids get at 15mo? The MMR. This has been happening even before widespread use of the MMR but we didn't know what autism was then. Those kids were labeled mentally retarded. Get your kids immunized folks. Ok, I will step off my pulpit.

Posted by: hodie MD, one more consult | October 1, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Hodie, you're pretty smart for a Marylander. Ever thought of becoming a doctor?

Posted by: byoolin gets this shooting pain when he puts his arm up like this... | October 1, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Wha-whoa, Paris Hilton is discovering the mysterious ways of God?

We'd better get God to an undisclosed location - FAST.

oh, wait . . . nevermind

Posted by: Curmudgeon worries about our dear Ms Hilton | October 1, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

(OK, the afternoon post is up. Quick, move away from the excess-sweat talk before Sasquatch shows up -- I'm not sure I'm ready for his take on this!)

Posted by: td | October 1, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

(Never mind. I just remembered that Sas is on vacation now. Phew!)

Posted by: td | October 1, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: to td | October 1, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Diane Lane could use some Botox in that wrinkly old forehead of hers, and around the eyes.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I thought all use of botulism/Botox was essentially off-label and unapproved by the FDA, but I could be wrong. It does seem that there are a myriad of potenial uses for it, tho--from controlling sweating to preventing migraines.

Now for the really serious news: did you all know that Fritos makes McGraw's Spicy Jalapeno flavored chips (as in Tim McGraw--his picture is on the bag)? So, after we all spritz ourselves with his cologne, we can give ourselves Frito breath. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I bought a bag today. I haven't tried them yet--when I do I'll make sure I don't drink Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper with them this time.

Posted by: alex doesn't even play a doctor on TV | October 1, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Right, hodie. And not having their children vaccinated isn't just a personal decision; they're endangering other people's children by risking the spread of these deadly diseases. Very dangerous and selfish advice.

Posted by: alex | October 1, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"Phew? You mean you can smell the cryptid all the way from his vacation in Maine?" --to td

You may read that any way you wish.

Posted by: td | October 1, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex doesn't even play a doctor on TV | October 1, 2008 12:05 PM

*******************************************

I actually did know this, but only because one of my friends is in charge of regional distribution for Frito-Lay. She said she could get me some if I wanted them. I haven't gotten back to her on that one yet.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, sorry that was me at 12:18.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 1, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, McGraw is really going for the stink crowd.

Can we get botox injections for this?

Hodie, you are a sweetie, really. But, I can totally see some self-absorbed mom suggesting botox injections for her kids' feet. I doubt an ethical doctor would be involved either. Remember, there are mothers out there that get plastic surgery for their pre-teen daughters.

Posted by: ep | October 1, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, botox can cure your sweaty-ness, Tim McGraw smells like Frito cologne (or something like that) & autism can be cured by waving around a magic wand & tossing around pixie dust (or whatever it is that Jenny McCarthy is promoting).

My day was not wasted because I learned something here on Lizard Isle!

Wherever you are Heather Locklear, I hope you can see that pic of Diane Lane because THAT'S what a 40something should look like.

Also, another note to Heather, 2 words, waterproof mascara. You should try it sometime.

Posted by: Bored @ work | October 1, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Warren Buffett and Katharine Graham were knockin' boots!

Posted by: who knew? | October 1, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

hodie

My fertility doc told me that autism is caused by old eggs/old sperm.

Posted by: Joyce | October 1, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Warren Buffett and Katharine Graham were knockin' boots!

Posted by: who knew? | October 1, 2008 12:34 PM

That's hot!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

My fertility doc told me that autism is caused by old eggs/old sperm.

Posted by: Joyce | October 1, 2008 12:39 PM

That explains Sally Quinn and Ben Bradlee's kid.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

My fertility doc told me that autism is caused by old eggs/old sperm.

Posted by: Joyce | October 1, 2008 12:39 PM

******************************************

I once had an upset stomach that was caused by old eggs.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 1, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks byoolin, but I'm actually from Ohio, not Maryland.
ep, yeah I can be pretty naive sometimes.
Alex, I always thought Fritos smelled like dirty feet. Perhaps we can find another use for that Botox.

Posted by: hodie | October 1, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

*********

byoo...don't put up arm up like that.

no charge.

Posted by: dr. methinks | October 1, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

byoo...don't put up arm up like that.

no charge.

Posted by: dr. methinks | October 1, 2008 12:47 PM
********
YOUR arm, byoolin...your arm.

Posted by: dr. methinks | October 1, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Rx: Cut back on the lube.

Posted by: Dr. Who | October 1, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

alex, did we learn NOTHING from your last Jalapeño adventure? Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper or not, Cheetos or Fritos. No, no, no. Back away from the McGraws now. Your stomach will thank you later.

Posted by: td lives in MD but is not an MD | October 1, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

ltl -- I don't think you need *lessons* to play the bagpipe. Just endurance.

My fertility doc told me that autism is caused by old eggs/old sperm.

Posted by: Joyce | October 1, 2008 12:39 PM

******************************************

I once had an upset stomach that was caused by old eggs.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 1, 2008 12:45 PM

... and I once got a stomachache from old ... never mind

Posted by: staying anonymous to retain the illusion that I'm a lady | October 1, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td lives in MD but is not an MD | October 1, 2008 12:58 PM

oooh now I get it. haha byoolin

Posted by: hodie will study her postal abbreviations | October 1, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

... and I once got a stomachache from old ... never mind

#1 reason why geighs call in sick more than the str8s.

Posted by: Studies show | October 1, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Rx: Cut back on the lube.

Posted by: Dr. Who | October 1, 2008 12:56 PM

****

But then I get a rash. And besides, you've been promoting the lube so regularly I can't help but suspect you're the regional sales manager for Astroglide and I'd hate to hurt your commissions.

Posted by: Never let it be said that byoolin cut back on the lube that feeds your family. | October 1, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

You get a rash from anal sex? Where?

Posted by: Weird | October 1, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Weird probably gets a rash on his hands.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Weird probably gets a rash on his hands.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 1:15 PM

LOL!!

Posted by: Weird | October 1, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Weird probably gets a rash on his hands.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 1:15 PM

Prison sex doesn't count. Woman on woman sex NEVER counts. Pay attention!

Posted by: One night only | October 1, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

We were laughing at you, not with you.

Posted by: to Weird | October 1, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

We were laughing at you, not with you.

Posted by: to Weird | October 1, 2008 1:19 PM

Duh! It was funny.

Posted by: Weird | October 1, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok for all who are adament that vaccinations don't cause autism, I'd say to apply the same skepticism to your certainty that you apply to the oppositions certainty that it does.

I am most certainly no doc. but there were plenty of studies out there about the safety of HGH treatments and thalidomyde back in the day... Also I refuse to believe that the CDC doesn't have an agenda (they are some how magically different than any other entity on this planet?)

A great example is the steadfast refusal of the CDC to condem the use of Larium for Malaria treatment despite ample evidence that it causes possible accute psychosis in approximately 10% of users.

I don't gots no babies yet, but from what I have researched some moderates suggest that you simply do the vaccinations one at a time rather than 17 bazillion things in one go, which seems both logical and effective as a possible solution.

A personal friend saw an immediate and drastic decline in her childs established verbal and motor skills within 1 week of a course of vaccinations. I don't know about you but that's enough to make me at least want to look at all sides of the argument and possibly do a couple of extra trips to the doc.

Posted by: LTL hates to dissent but... | October 1, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I'd also say that neither of the two who started this debate (Peet and McCarthy) could be called dumb on this one, there are plenty of well educated people on opposite ends of this arguement.

Now I'd call it dumb to get all nasty about someone else in who's shoes you haven't walked (aka Ms. Amanda ragging on Jenny M).

OK really stopping now, back to SS and her sweaty feet. If I were her kid I'd ask to get vaccinated stat!

Posted by: LTL is now stopping before she sounds like she belongs on OP | October 1, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

argument... sheesh...

Posted by: LTL can't spell... | October 1, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

HGH, Thalidomyde and Lariam aren't vaccines.

Posted by: logical fallacy | October 1, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

HGH, Thalidomyde and Lariam aren't vaccines.

Posted by: logical fallacy | October 1, 2008 1:36 PM

LTL is related to Sarah Palin.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Election 2008: Sarah Palin's Cheerful Aggression. 'She's Perky, She's Spunky ... This Allows Her to Get Away With Murder'

Posted by: right now | October 1, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Anonymous at 1:39...Go to another BLOG. One where arguing politics is interesting to people reading the blog. This blog is about mocking celebrities - not LTL and/or her potential relatives.

Posted by: Amelia | October 1, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Are you saying that a former 2nd-rate beauty queen from over 2 decades ago, who tries to act like a celebrity, isn't snarkable?

Posted by: to Amelia | October 1, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

A shared timeframe does not mean cause and effect. Trust people who genuinely, genuinely understand and apply science. People who really, truly want to protect children.
The primary objection to vaccinations lately has been a preservative called thimerosal which contains a trace amount of mercury. Except, it hasn't been in use in ages. Also, many parents with kids diagnosed with autism around the same time as being vaccinated have blamed the autism on thimerosal, only to learn that the batch of vaccine used on their kids did not contain thimerosal.
I'm oversimplifying a lot. And I appreciate that you don't wanna drag this discussion out, LTL, but as the mom of 2 healthy, bright vaccinated kids, I want to encourage you to research this more if you choose to have children. I love Celebritologizing ever so much. And I know this is out of place.
The person I know at the CDC is bright, fun and very, very dedicated. Lots of doctors who go into government research are. It doesn't pay like private practice. It's something a person does for love. Of course, nothing is certain, but I'm reasonably sure that what we're seeing here is a change in the way and the when of diagnosing autism overlapping with a stepped-up program of vaccination.
xoxoxo
other liz

Posted by: sorry, LTL, really I am | October 1, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The point wasn't that they are vaccinations, the point was that they are examples where studies said something is "safe" when further research showed it was not. They are also examples of times when the CDC (often held up as 'well they say it is fine, so it must be') has an agenda that reflects in it's pronouncements of the relative safeness of something.

Snark on Sara Palin all you want, really has no bearing on me.

Posted by: LTL uses little words... | October 1, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

OL no worries, we can totally stop after this (pinky promise). I get what you are saying, I really do, and believe me when it comes time, I fully intend to educate myself thoroughly. And I do believe your friends are dedicated and smart individuals.

All I am saying is that if something as simple as breaking out the vaccinations in to multiple doses does no harm and has the potential to reduce risk, it is worth examining as a possibility.

There is so much unknown in this world, yet we find science often speaking in absolutes. It makes me skeptical.

Ok peace out...

Posted by: LTL says no need to apologize OL | October 1, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Science speaks in probabilities, religion speaks in absolutes.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

The conspiracy theory (CDC's agenda) falls under yet another logical fallacy. If you're concerned about government pronouncements, I encourage to head to PubMed, where all the primary literature can be found. Since it pretty much all agrees that vaccines do not cause autism, either there is a world-wide scientific conspiracy or it's true.

Science can always be swayed by data. It's the True Believers whose minds cannot be changed. You need a little Skeptics Guide to the Universe in you life. There is an excellent primer on logical fallacies there.

Posted by: anon forever | October 1, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Science speaks in probabilities, religion speaks in absolutes.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:05 PM

Heavy.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I feel like we covered so much! Tomorrow: the proper use of "begging the question."

Now, let me give you another reason to question my judgment. I *still* adore Russell Crowe. Still. No, I don't get it either.

Posted by: OL | October 1, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Science speaks in probabilities, religion speaks in absolutes.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:05 PM

Heavy.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:27 PM

I resemble that remark.

Posted by: Garfield | October 1, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I *still* adore Russell Crowe. Still. No, I don't get it either.

Posted by: OL | October 1, 2008 2:43 PM

The bigger the cushion, the better the pushin' !

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

LTL - PLEASE do research before you have children and realize that the CDC does many, many, many studies to determine the when, where and with what on the vaccines. My sister is a pediatric infectious disease doctor and my nieces have participated in the studies. Trust me, there is no kick back - the tests are continuing to make sure that the vaccines are effective, etc. It is natural to want to find a cause or place blame on why your child is not "normal" for lack of a better word, but what is amazing is that NO study can provide any link between the two. And honestly, it is extremely selfish NOT to get your child vaccinated b/c you are placing them at risk and hoping that others will get the vaccine so your child will not get some horrible disease that will KILL them. Seriously - there are now cases of mumps everywhere.

Okay, stepping off of soapbox...

Now gotta get back to work....

Posted by: Betty...getting riled up about the vaccines! | October 1, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Back to the snark, check out the outfit on Naomi Watts. Someone call Stacy and Clinton fast. We need to intervene.

Posted by: hodie | October 1, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Botox is not approved to quell odor. It is approved for something called hyperhidrosis, which involves excessive armpit sweating, not odor. I don't even know of any clinical trials that are testing botulinum toxin type A for this matter. If anything, Ms. Stone might make her son's feet drier by injecting Botox but she certainly won't make them smell any better.

Posted by: Dr. Scott Harrelson | October 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Science speaks in probabilities, religion speaks in absolutes.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:05 PM

Heavy.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:27 PM

I resemble that remark.

Posted by: Garfield | October 1, 2008 2:53 PM

No, mate, I resemble that remark.

Posted by: Russell Crowe | October 1, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Anon at 2:55, thanks for the shout-out!

You wouldn't happen to be a drummer, would you?

Posted by: Spinal Tap | October 1, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"he suggested that Stone could solve the stinky-feet problem by just taking Roan to the zoo so a Komodo dragon could bite off the kid's feet."

That is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Hoo!

Posted by: Ame | October 1, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Heavy.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:27 PM

I resemble that remark.

Posted by: Garfield | October 1, 2008 2:53 PM

No, mate, I resemble that remark.

Posted by: Russell Crowe | October 1, 2008 3:02 PM

Russ, I'll make you lasagna anytime!
But, since you're dropping Celebritology today, riddle me this: Why do you always take roles you have to *gain* weight for? Didn't see you auditioning for The Machinist if you know what I mean.

Posted by: other liz | October 1, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to bring this back to the mundane, but I'm back to report on the McGraw Fritos. I would like to say that I at them as a public service to my fellow Celebritologists (I did it so you didn't have to?). Actually, td got it right--I just didn't learn my lesson with the cheddar jalapeno Cheetos.

The McGraw Fritos are nasty. They have an unpleasant musty flavor that is almost overwhelmed by searing (to my sensitive taste buds) hot sauce. Luckily, they're marked "limited edition."

I really don't know why I keep falling for this. I must have been over-vaccinated.

Posted by: alex | October 1, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

alex - thank you for your sacrifice. Personally, once I saw Tim McGraw, I think I would have selected something else! :)

Posted by: Betty | October 1, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I *ate* the Fritos. . .

Posted by: or maybe alex et the Fritos | October 1, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Late to the snarkfest today. Delighted to hear that Kim K, and her oversized rear end, have departed DWTS.

The SS hotel incident reminds me of my favorite "do you know who I am?" story. We're at airport, weather messing with flights, airline personnel under siege by angry passengers and this jerk muscles his way to the front of the group and starts berating the staffer to get him on the flight. She starts out with the same kind of "I'll be with you in a moment, sir" nice brush-off to which he draws himself up with a sneering "do you know who I am?". She just stares at him for a beat. Then she picks up the intercom and announces for the entire gate area that there's a man at the desk who doesn't know who he is and if anyone knows him to please come forward. 200 people cracked up. I've been waiting to use that line ever since, so I hope Sharon Stone pops by sometime.

Posted by: hermespal | October 1, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Betty, if I wasn't brain-damaged before the McGraw Fritos, I think I am now. They certainly gave me hot flashes from the spices. Once again, I couldn't finish the bag. (At least I knew better that to pair them with the Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper this time or I'd be calling 911.)

Posted by: alex is too delicate for jalapenos | October 1, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Ame, thanks for the compliment.

alex, maybe Janet Jackson and Jermaine Dupri wound up in the hospital after washing down McGraw Fritos with Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper.

hermespal, can't you tell us who that VIP (in his own eyes) was? Please?

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 1, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Hermespal, who was it ??? I'm dying to know. Great story by the way!

Posted by: hodie | October 1, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

hodie, it's always possible that he wasn't as important as he thought he was.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 1, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea who he was. Just a self-important suit, probably. After everyone laughed he got all huffy and red-faced and stormed off muttering about seeing her supervisor. It also had the effect of calming everyone down--they were much nicer to her after that.

Posted by: hermespal | October 1, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

By Jenny M's criteria, our son has been 'cured' of autism because we got him private services when we were waiting for an evaluation. As a result, he doesn't qualify for a label, even though the evaluators readily agreed he would have a year ago.

Of course, Jenny's 'cured' son remains on a special diet with a range of therapies and home schooling with carefully chosen providers.

Posted by: mouse, who is too worn out from appointments to snark properly | October 1, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse