Posted at 6:59 AM ET, 10/13/2008

Morning Mix: Star Jones Disses Former 'View' Co-hosts

By Liz Kelly

Sting sips a drink prior to a ceremony honoring late Italian opera singer Luciano Pavoarotti in the ancient Jordanian city of Petra. (AWAD AWAD/AFP/Getty Images)

Monday

Headlines: Star Jones says former "View" co-hosts were "hateful"... Angelina Jolie says a Barack Obama presidency would be "nice"... Oprah says women could "midwife" election for Obama... John McCain reschedules David Letterman visit... Britney Spears's "Womanizer" video debuts... Ringo Starr says he's too busy for autographs, vows to throw away fan mail... J.Lo and Marc Anthony renew vows at Las Vegas casino... Lisa Marie Presley gives birth to twin girls... Erykah Badu expecting third child... Crash survivor Travis Barker thanks fans for support, says ex-wife hasn't been there for him... Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes and Jude Law as Dr. Watson.

Rumor Mill: National Enquirer claims Jamie Lynn Spears pregnancy rumor is true... Spice Girl Melanie Brown turns down Playboy offer.

By Liz Kelly  | October 13, 2008; 6:59 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Doubletake: Early Halloween for Jacko and Child
Next: Comment Box: Learning to Accept 'The Hills'

Comments

Good for Mel B, turning down Playboy. Somewhere right now, Mel C is waving her hand high in the air and saying, "Ooh! Mr. Hefner! Over here! I'll pose for half that amount! Pick me, Pickmepickmepickme!"

Ringo's "fans" (?!) must now content themselves by singing "But all I got is an autograph, and I realise you're not signing them anymore." Look for his cancelled checks on eBay, starting bid $0.01.

How did we miss the chance to name Lisa Marie's twins? Will she go the Dragontales route of JLo (Max and Emme) or something wilder? I vote for Purr and Cilla, Ann and Margret, or Grace and Land.

Erykah Badu has two kids already? I trust they're not born with the wild headgear that adorns Mom. If so, birth must be quite an experience.

Posted by: td says *happy columbus day* | October 13, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Ugh...y'know, Star Jones, the phrase "____ set me up" never seems to make one seem any more sympathetic. I don't doubt that that bunch of harridans turned on you, but just acknowledge it and move on. People love a survivor much more than they do a victim.

And uh oh, Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony are renewing their vows already?

Posted by: 223112 | October 13, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Renewed their vows eh....

Posted by: LTL says 'the countdown begins' | October 13, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Every day, Sting looks more and more like Malcolm McDowell. Who, incidentally, also looks like the guy standing behind him in this picture.

Posted by: td | October 13, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Star says they were "hateful", they say she was "hateable." Tomato, tomahto.

Britney's video was okay, but there was an awful racket accompanying the pictures.

In Ringo's defense, the Beatles did break up forty years ago. If you're just now getting around to asking for an autograph...

Travis Barker: You survived a plane crash that killed four people. Please, no whining.

If the National Enquirer pinky swears the story about Jamie Lynn is true, it must be true.

Last week it was Brooke Hogan and this week it's Mel B. Hef's acting like the guy whose girlfriend just dumped him and now he's hitting on every girl in the bar, no matter how - oh, yeah, right...

Posted by: byoolin thanks 23112 for the use of "harridan." | October 13, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

td, nice work on the Ringo lyric.

Posted by: byoolin | October 13, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Why is Sting wearing a muffler wrapped three times around his neck? Is it cold in Petra? Why does it seem no one else in the photo is feeling the draft?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to hear that the View women (not girls, Star, wimmin) were unkind to Star Jones.

RDJ as Sherlock Holmes. Nope.
Jude as Doc Watson. Mebbe.

Britney looks good in the video but the song is relentless, and not in a good way.

Posted by: methinks | October 13, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

In 1996, I was fortunate enough to have a seat in the VIP section for a big concert event in Hyde Park, London. Full of stars, all who were incredibly gracious and friendly in giving the handful of us young folks autographs (Sandra Bullock was adorable, Tracey Ullman hilarious).

I saw Ringo a few rows away. Being a huge Beatles fan (even though I'm only 31 now), I got incredibly nervous and my parents had to spend some time convincing me to go up to him.

So I start walking in his direction. He saw me from about 30 feet away and just shook his head. I almost started crying; such a jerk.

He's a second-rate Beatle, and obviously a big pile of poo. Paul would never be so mean :-)

Posted by: Wash, DC | October 13, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, byoolin. "Photograph" was a much better song than his lame "You're Sixteen" (though perhaps that's how old Barbara Bach was when they met?).

And I, too, love the word harridan, 23112. So fun to say. "Harridan!"

And Wash, DC, "second-rate Beatle" is right. I bet Pete Best wouldn't have treated you like that. My question is, does Ringo have great money managers? Micheal Jackson owns the songs; where is his money coming from?

Posted by: td | October 13, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Star, sweetie, nobody cares. Move on.

The countdown has started for JLo and Mark.

Congrats to Erykah. The last child's name is Puma. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. Note that Zuma is taken.

Alsome offerings td. I like Grace and Land, she should go with those.

Posted by: petal is happy she isn't the only one at work today | October 13, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I remember hearing about this around the time of this last molestation trial.

Posted by: MJ may have sold the beatles song catalog | October 13, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

To really get the full effect, learn to cry out "You useless harridan!" in a somewhat Oxonian accent. It's the absolute cat's pajamas when you're hearing computer-generated voice recordings telling you what you already know.

Posted by: 23112 | October 13, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, folks, JLo and Marc "renewing". The clock is ticking....

And please make the Jamie Lynn Spears rumor not be true. The world has already been blessed with enough of this clan's DNA.

Posted by: jaybbub | October 13, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only person on here who does not care about Angelina's president preference?

Posted by: tylenol | October 13, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

If you want to get truly Elvis-y, the girls should be named one of these:
* Jelly and Donut.
* Thankya and Veramuch
* Peanut Butter and Banana

And I think RDJ will make an allsome Sherlock! Jude Law as Watson, not so sure.

Posted by: b | October 13, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Ringo is aware he is the least popular Beatle right?

Travis Barker, exes usually aren't there for you during tough times. That is why they are exes.

I think a Robert Downey, Jr./Jude Law Sherlock Holmes movie would be quite good. At least they will honor the roles and not try to screw it up.

Posted by: ep | October 13, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

methinks, you are right about the brit video... I couldn't watch it all the way through. Choreography is a bit lame, too.

Posted by: b | October 13, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

-RDJ will make a great Sherlock Holmes
(I'm was watching Ironman this morning).

-I was more impressed when Britney shaved her head. Not a fan.

-OMG, T.I. is on the "View" WTF!

Posted by: Lisa1 says "Yay, for sick days and Mr. Lisa1" | October 13, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Never you worry, Ringo, who has the time or inclination to bother with you?

Starr Jones, wah, wah, wah. What's the matter. Those View girls don't treat you like the Diva you (think you)are?

What's with renewing wedding vows after such a short marriage? Is it stale already? Was a promise already broken? What gives? The only time it doesn't seem weird to me is a big anniversary like the 50th

TD, thought the exact same thing about Sting looking like Roddy McDowell.

Posted by: hodie | October 13, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Why do people care who Angelina will vote for? Obama, McCain? Just let the woman have some peace.

And am I the only one who did not understand why BS's video debued on 20/20? That felt really random.... Why not MTv?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The first report I saw on Angelina's comments had the headline: "Angelina Jolie says Obama win would be nice for her family." I skipped over the word "win" at first glance, and wondered, on no, is she trying to adopt him, too?

Although it would be her first North American adoption.

Speaking of parents with twins, why do JLo and Marc have the time or inclination to go to a Las Vegas casino? The stars, they just aren't like you and me.

Posted by: 44west | October 13, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Ringo is just trying to jack up those prices up on those Ebay auctions he's got goin' out there.

I vote for Purr & Cilla for the newest EP grandkids.

Posted by: Bored @ work | October 13, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

JLo and Marc HAD to do something to get their names in print, although this stunt won't be good again for awhile. (Renewing vows in Las Vegas? What's wron with this pitchur?)

And thanks, Star Jones, for giving us an other excuse to mega-snark on you.

Posted by: Curmudgeon is off today and just got up | October 13, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The National Enquirer also pinky swears that Track Palin had a two-year OxyContin habit (which is the real reason he got packed off into the military), that baby-mama-to-be Bristol was known as a big "make-out artist" in high school and that her baby-daddy Levi used drugs too.

Then again, the Enquirer DID get the John Edwards story right.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Yuma?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Isn't the Russian congress called the Duma?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, buh-bye J. Lo and Marc Anthony. He renewed vows with his former wife just before skedaddling w/ J. Lo.

Nope, tylenol, I don't care either.

Posted by: Californian | October 13, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Not to be too literal here, but if you read the article, Angelina is actually very careful NOT to say who she's voting for. It mentions at the end that John Voight has campaigned for McCain, so maybe she's trying to avoid following in Daddy's footsteps?

Posted by: tl | October 13, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Not to be too literal here

Owe, the humanity!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"TD, thought the exact same thing about Sting looking like Roddy McDowell." --hodie

Not Roddy! Malcolm -- y'know, that Clockwork Orange guy. Though after your comment, I am now seeing young Roddy singing, "King of Pain" while riding Flicka across the meadow. Too funny.

Posted by: td | October 13, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

But Oprah! I don't know nothin about birthin babies!

Posted by: possum | October 13, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Possum wins comment of the week.

Posted by: ep | October 13, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Oct 13th, 2008 | PARIS — Hospital officials say 37-year-old French actor Guillaume Depardieu has died from complications linked to a sudden case of pneumonia.

The son of French movie star Gerard Depardieu had been hospitalized since Sunday night, said officials at the Raymond-Poincare de Garches hospital in the western suburbs of Paris.

Guillaume Depardieu won the prize in 1996 as the most promising young actor at the Cesar awards — France’s equivalent of the Academy Awards — for his role in the film “Les Apprentis” (The Apprentices).

He starred with his father in a 1991 film, but they had a public falling-out in 2003. Guillaume Depardieu had his right leg amputated in 2003 to end years of pain from a bacterial infection following a motorcycle accident in 1996.

Posted by: Actor Guillaume Depardieu dead at 37 | October 13, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

“Those girls were hateful,” Jones says of her former co-hosts.

People magazine did a terrible reporting job when it failed to provide examples in the article. Did they not even ask Star to cite specific instances?

Also, isn't her face starting to look increasingly like a drag-queen impersonation of herself? (How long before she reaches Cher territory?) Oh, and what became of the famous surgical scar on her chest from her youth?

ep
Possum wins comment of the week.

No, no, no! Such a premature honor risks discouraging possum from offering up trenchant comments on the remaining four days' follies this week, which would be our loss. Maybe it's late enough in the day, however, to award possum "comment of the day," plus a complimentary beverage at the Tiki Bar?

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 13, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I have no fears that Possum will continue to offer up quality snark regardless of when the award is given (or even if she withdraws from consideration for the award). Nor do I have fears that other Lizards of Quality will live up to their own high standards and continue to ruin computer keyboard with their comments regardless of who receives the award.

Topic: If Starr Jones talks but no one listens does she still say anything?

Posted by: ep | October 13, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | October 13, 2008 1:26 PM

What can I say, td? It's Monday. Mixing McDowells. But I knew what you meant!

No comments about Jamie Lynn yet? I guess we're all tired and jaded. Or is it if the Enquirer says so, it must be.

Elias, get your name machine out. We have a whole new crop of kids to damn for a lifetime. Love Erykah's rep's comments on her daughter's name Puma: " denied that the singer named her daughter after the athletic shoe."

Posted by: hodie | October 13, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Star Jones hosted a week on House Hunters that was dedicated to NYC. She was suprisingly and disappointly "normal" in her presentation style. Only critique is that she used the adjective "fabulous" a little too often.
Perhaps the View girls are still miffed that she didn't invite them to be one of her 21 bridesmaids at her ridiculously over the top wedding a few years back.

Posted by: maxine | October 13, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news: Cloris Leachman named Rose Parade grand marshal

An Oscar didn't qualify her for this honor, nor a passel of Emmys either, but make a spectacle (to put it kindly) of yourself on Dancing With The Stars...

ep
I share your optimism re continued top-drawer snark from possum and the rest of the gang.

Maxine, I'm not so sure that at least some of the "View" gals would've wanted to be among Bridezilla's attendants.

hodie
Love Erykah's rep's comments on her daughter's name Puma: "denied that the singer named her daughter after the athletic shoe."

Maybe I've just been reading too much Post political coverage lately, but I sure hope the kid wasn't named after disaffected Hillary supporters who supposedly proclaim, "Party Unity, My A$s."

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 13, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

hodie's Law: Years of marital bliss are directly proportionate to the number of years between original wedding and renewal of vows and inversly proprotionate to the number of wedding attendants.

Posted by: hodie | October 13, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

oops I meant "inversely" so back off Spelling Police!

Posted by: hodie | October 13, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

and I meant "proportionate"

Posted by: hodie can't type worth a damn | October 13, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Sting is wearing #97 in the list of stuff white people like. Gotta admit, he is awfully white.
I'm giving you ungrateful Ringo haters the link, too.
You are all officially forbidden to enjoy Octopus' Garden ever again. Even in front of children. So there.

Posted by: other liz | October 13, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Also -- until I read the caption, I thought that that picture was of Michael "Ben Linus" Emerson.
I'm relieved that Sting is the girl-drink drunk. Ben would never seem scary again.

Posted by: other liz | October 13, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Oooo! I'll take the free drinkie at the Tiki bar....in fact make it a double and bring out the male belly dancers. My hubby's going out of town and what he don't know won't hurt him.

Posted by: possum | October 13, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

ack! Very late here today due to computer meltdown (can you say panic attack?) which fortunately was a result of bad ram card, now replaced with a mightier zippier one, thank pastafarian.

Way to go possum! I get the thing fixed and nearly wreck it with a classic spit take!

Please let the JL Spears story not be true--I agree there are too many spearsspawn in existence already.

The hills are on fire again. Smoke and ash everywhere. We're in fire season (the others being earthquake, flashflood and mudslide).

Ringo is a jerk.

Posted by: hermespal | October 13, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I look at today's Sting picture and think:

"A little libation before tonight's Ultra-violence."

Posted by: Clockwork Sasquatch | October 13, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

hermespal, look on the bright side. At least you don't get blizzards out there.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 13, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse