Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 10/ 1/2008

Reality Watch: 'Paris Hilton's My New BFF'

By Liz Kelly

Paris Hilton (center) with 'BFF' hopefuls Baje, Brittany, Vanessa and Kiki. (Getty Images)

OMG, who'd have thunk that five years after Paris Hilton first broke ground as one of reality TV's first celebrity guinea pigs that she'd still have enough new material in her to fill up a whole new show?

MTV, that's who! They heart Paris so much that they've made her the centerpiece of "Paris Hilton: My New BFF," a platonic (we hope) tour de force modeled on the matchmaking elimination show, a la "Flavor of Love."

And where "Simple Life" cast Paris and then-cohort Nicole Richie as hapless wanderers in the workaday world, "My New BFF" puts Hilton and her skill set at the top of the food chain and everywhere from the opening song to the art decorating the contestant's "Real World"-esque digs.

In "BFF," a group of 20-somethings of questionable intelligence -- and even more suspect hair -- cat fight for the supposed honor of joining HIlton's inner circle. An inner circle which, at least based on the first episode, seems to consist mainly of lumpy boyfriend Benji Madden, a portly Vegas promoter and hyper-effeminate Heatherette design duo Traver Rains and Richie Rich.

As expected, the first episode dragged a bit in explaining the premise (think "Rock of Love" with less stripper, more party girl), introducing us to the contestants (Blond fake-baked silicon-enhanced intellectually-stunted Red Bull depository? Check. Wholesome cheerleader type? Check. Token troublemakers? Check. Sexually ambiguous Asian woman? Check.) and getting the gang all set up in their temporary home, BFF Mansion.

Paris deserves extra credit for the super-prescient rendition-style interrogations, in which blindfolded contestants were grilled about everything from their ta-tas ("Are yours real?") to their manners ("You farted."). Then, the hopeful BFFs were given full-on makeovers -- everything from waxing to tooth whitening in the hopes of cleaning them up enough to make it in Paris's world of red carpets and night club appearances.

With a business-like "TTYL" from Hilton, five contestants were dropped in the first episode -- four on the first night and one misled bleach blonde who had the gall to refuse Paris's makeover advice to dye her hair jet black.

And, ensuring that we home viewers also got something out of the experience, Hilton took time to share a few pearls of her charmed life wisdom: "Never leave a party last," and, "Working it is a skill it takes time and effort to perfect," and the timeless, "Best friends should trust each other's opinions."

As one contestant, Zui from D.C., said: "I can do this. I used to sleep in ditches."

You said it, sister. Who can possibly argue with that logic?

Will I be watching again? For sure. TTYL!

Update: A post.com colleague points out, it, "is of utmost importance that we accurately portray Paris correctly, I think she is saying "TTYN," not "TTYL," as in, "Talk to you never."

By Liz Kelly  | October 1, 2008; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Paris Hilton, Reality Check
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Judge Says Sharon Stone Wanted to Botox Son's Feet
Next: Morning Mix: Melissa Etheridge to Wed Longtime Partner

Comments

I was all set to mock this show when I read that Paris' "inner circle... seems to consist mainly of lumpy boyfriend Benji Madden, a portly Vegas promoter and hyper-effeminate Heatherette design duo Traver Rains and Richie Rich."

The last time anyone saw an inner circle that lame, it consisted of me, Crunk and Johnny Mac, filling up our plates for the fourth time at that all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet at Dundas & Hurontario in Mississauga.

Posted by: byoolin would typically choose a second helping of the ribs at this point. | October 1, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The two girls on the right look a little too much like the "girl next door". Paris has some work to do...

Posted by: hodie | October 1, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I give it three episodes before Paris gets bored and moves to a different streetlight, er, career path.

Posted by: td | October 1, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

In that photo, Paris looks like she's got more than a few miles on her already.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't she just beg Nicole to take her back? They could make a show out of that and we can be spared the new trainwrecks.

So help me if they create another Heincer type duo I will never forgive Mtv. I'm already pissed about the lack of actual music on that channel.

Posted by: petal | October 1, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

byoolin,

you've had an inner circle I can relate to.

And, you're correct: there's nothing like a bagpipe skirl to get one's blood heating.

Posted by: MacMudgeon | October 1, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Paris seems bored with the whole thing already by the looks of her picture.

Posted by: flutterbyjen | October 1, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm astonished that I seem to be the first person to say I might rather sleep in a ditch in D.C. than have Paris Hilton make my life over to suit her.

Posted by: other liz | October 1, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Why does this no talent (yes, I've seen her video) waste of genetic materials have another pointless TV show??? Why does anyone in their right mind give a crap about Paris Hilton??? Her claim to fame is that her ex-boyfriend (probably with her approval) leaked a video of the two of them having sex. Big deal... Paris got laid! She's not all that attractive, she has no figure to speak of AND (one more time in case you missed it) SHE'S GOT NO TALENT TO SPEAK OF!!!!!

Posted by: Brutal asks "Why?" | October 1, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

sounds like sorority pledge week without the pesky requirement of enrolling into an institute of higher learning.

Posted by: hodie | October 1, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Paris was pretty good on that video spoofing McCain's Obama-celebrity campaign ad.

Posted by: to Brutal | October 1, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | October 1, 2008 11:54 AM

****
I don't know hodie, my first thought was that the blond girl on the right (I guess that would be Vanessa?)has a kind of psycho look about her.
And the girl in the black dress on the left (brittany?) looks like she's about to kick someone's butt.
The dark haired girl on the left (Baje?) appears to be wearing a toilet paper dress from 1988.
The dark haried girl on the right (Kiki?) looks drunk AND has a stupid name, so I think she's a contender.

I too would rather sleep in a ditch than be Paris' new bff.

Nicole is too busy driving around LA with the baby to play with Paris anymore.

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 1, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Yikes! Is that a birthmark or what on Baje's arm?

Posted by: Tee hee | October 1, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

the girl on the left has a man's face for a hair barrette

Posted by: just sayin' | October 1, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

More reasons not to go lesbo!

Posted by: Wow! | October 1, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey just sayin', doesn't it look like she has an extra face on the back of head?! Being literally two-faced could be quite a strength in being Paris' new bff!

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 1, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

How long till Paris makes them botox their feet?

Posted by: Amelia | October 1, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"How long till Paris makes them botox their feet?" --Amelia

GOOD ONE! Which makes me think that I'd rather watch a show called, "Sharon Stone: My New BFF -- and Podiatrist" than this.

Posted by: td would rather watch ANYTHING than this | October 1, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

girl second in on left appears to have a set of brass knuckles on her hand. also in the lower left corner of the photo a fist is coming in to punch the contestant on the end.

Posted by: just sayin' | October 1, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

What photo are you lookin at? I can't see any of their hands...

Posted by: sunnydaze might be going blind! | October 1, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

PARIS WAS FUN OF GIRLS FEEL HURT> SHE DID IN REALITY SHOWS> I WAS LUCKY I WONT GO TO BBF BECAUSE I KNOW HER PERSONALLY>

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes that trademark is a birthmark on Baje's arm and that is a $1500 Dolce Gabanna dress that she's wearing, I have one..but ofcourse "Sunndaze" knows nothing about designer items. You need some schooling, you should get Baje's book A Gold Digger's Guide im sure you'll learn a few things.

AGoldDiggersGuide.com

Posted by: karen | October 1, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Im not a blogger but I just watched this show on MTV and feel compelled to blog. I must say this is the stupidest show I have ever seen . MTV needs to produce some shows that make sense and have logic. Paris is a good looking girl, but that doesn't even matter if she has the intelligence of a 10 year old. Come on people we are too smart to watch this show!

Posted by: kyle | October 1, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Come on people we are too smart to watch this show!

Posted by: kyle | October 1, 2008 2:11 PM

Millions watch American Idol....

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"Come on people we are too smart to watch this show!" - Posted by: kyle

****

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people." - attributed to H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Posted by: byoolin sides with H.L. on this one. | October 1, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

good point

Posted by: kyle | October 1, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Come on people we are too smart to watch this show!" - Posted by: kyle

****

Posted by: byoolin sides with H.L. on this one. | October 1, 2008 2:24 PM

Do you ever shut up?

Posted by: Boring byoolin | October 1, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"MTV needs to produce some shows that make sense and have logic. "

MTV needs to get back to, you know, MUSIC.

Posted by: ep | October 1, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Liz, Liz, Liz.....

You must have been hard up today. Who gives a rat's *** about that skanky Paris?

Posted by: K. O'Brien | October 1, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Do you ever shut up?

Posted by: Boring byoolin | October 1, 2008 2:38 PM

Do you ever shut up, troll?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

MTV needs to produce some shows that make sense and have logic.

Posted by: kyle | October 1, 2008 2:11 PM
===============

It's MTV, not PBS, kyle.

I'm holding out for Paris' new show, in keeping with these hard economic times:

Pimp My Trust Fund Portfolio!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | October 1, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

MoCoSnarky,
thanks for informing me its not PBS. MTV is supposed to be music television, not stupid shows that make no sense and that are scripted. TV DOES NOT GET ANY MORE STUPID THEN THIS SHOW!. Your keeping out with these hard economic shows by watching this show??? Doesn't make sense to me. Might want to think about what you say before you type it.

Posted by: kyle | October 1, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Liz, you have me completely distracted trying to assss how much new material Paris has in her. I'm guessing she wouldn't want to present new material and risk not measuring up to expectations.

Posted by: Red Dragon | October 1, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It's MTV, not PBS, kyle.

I'm holding out for Paris' new show, in keeping with these hard economic times:

Pimp My Trust Fund Portfolio!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | October 1, 2008 2:55 PM

Carm done, fattie. Supper's a coming

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red Dragon | October 1, 2008 3:42 PM

How does Red Dragon "assss" the new material..?

Posted by: Need some lube? | October 1, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

MTV hasn't been Music television for years. If you want to see music videos and music shows, you have to watch one of their other channels, usually way up there on the cable/satellite channel guide and usually costs extra to have.
Do they still have that show where a dozen strangers come and live together? What was that called? Haven't seen it in years. Used to be a guilty pleasure.

Posted by: hodie, always easily entertained | October 1, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie, always easily entertained | October 1, 2008 4:02 PM

****

"Prison Security Camera"?

Posted by: byoolin | October 1, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie, always easily entertained | October 1, 2008 4:02 PM

Hodie - if you mean "The Real World" - yes, it's still on but they've also killed that show off. Now you no longer have to have any particular talent to be on it, other than a propensity for binge drinking, willingness to disrobe for the hot-tub, and general lewdness and promiscuity.

Keep it coming MTV!

Posted by: bflogirl | October 1, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Keep it coming MTV!

Yes that was the show. Must be why I stopped watching. Now I remember.

Posted by: hodie | October 1, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

hodie, has Liz ever done a Friday List on TV shows we might not want other to know we watch (or used to watch)? If not, it might be a promising place for chatter revelations.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 1, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

others, not other.

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 1, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Paris Hilton is so incredibly sincere and multitalented! She's an Actress, Vocalist, Model, Fashion Icon, Multibillionaire,and heiress. She is better than us, she has class and is not trailer park like the rest of the american dumpster diver no teeth poor trash girls.

Posted by: Rodney Caltomi (Milan, Illinois) | October 1, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

That's it. The idea of Paris Hilton and new material is just too gross.

Posted by: Red Dragon | October 2, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Why the sour grapes?
BFF is a cute and entertaining contest, nothing wrong with that.

The show is considered a success, its 10 episodes have already been sold to MTV-Asia and Paris Hilton will film new episodes in England this month.

Paris Hilton and Benji Madden are a nice couple - she a Hollyood princess and he a talented musician/hot rocker in in a successful band C GOOD CHARLoTTE).

And btw Paris's new theme song is quite good and a catchy tune.

Life is definately good for Paris Hilton. What difference a year makes!

Posted by: ADB | October 3, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I have not watched much of this show only like alil of the beginning once. but, it seems that some people dont need to say EVERYTHING they feel.

Posted by: Ashley | October 4, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

I think your show is really cool I want to be your bff and you should me i do anything you want

Posted by: tatiana shabazz | October 4, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

happy belated b-day i don't forget my friends birthday

Posted by: tatiana shabazz | October 4, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"In that photo, Paris looks like she's got more than a few miles on her already"

----

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

Posted by: Scott | October 4, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey, have you guys heard Paris Hilton's new track?

Ryan Seacrest premiered her brand new song, "My BFF", on his morning show!

Check it out at:

Posted by: anon | October 6, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I think the cast is pretty funny , especially that asian guy/girl. he/she is gonna be the star of the show if he/she doesnt get kicked off . hilarious

Posted by: Jamie | October 7, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse