Posted at 11:10 AM ET, 10/ 8/2008

Save Ginger from Aubrey O'Day

By Liz Kelly

Doubtless, you're expecting a scathing post full of snark about Danity Kane's Aubrey O'Day for her unfortunate choice of outfit (shirt, headband, roots, fake bake -- there's material, trust me) in the picture below.

O'Day and Ginger at the Bowlmore Lanes 70th anniversary party Tuesday in New York. (Getty Images)

But no. Much as I'd like to take Aubrey to task for dressing while under the influence of some kind of taste-sapping gamma ray, today I write in my capacity as an animal lover. I feel so sorry for this dog -- a teacup Maltese named Ginger -- that I can't sit idly by while the helpless creature continues to be exposed so cruelly around the Web.

Look at the pain in her face above. Not only has Ginger been forced to wear a matchy-matchy shirt (hey, maybe she's not for Obama), but Ms. O'Day seems to have fashioned a spangly thong into some kind of makeshift headgear for the poor little thing. And consider the hours that will be spent licking off the spray-on tan that will surely rub off on her fur. The horror.

And the above picture is only the latest in a recent string of embarrassing photo ops featuring O'Day and her hostage:

Sept. 14: A dog like Ginger, possessed of an excellent coat of snowy hair, would never choose a day-glo orange cape with black polka dots for making the scene at fashion week.

Sept. 25: Aubrey dresses a pink and blue-dyed Ginger in a donkey T-shirt while wearing a dead bird on her head (perhaps some kind of warning about what happened to her last Ralph Nader-supporting pet?).

Sept. 29: Ginger is clearly in distress as the attention-seeking O'Day moves in for a full-on kiss.

Oct. 6: Ginger is photographed in a wholly inappropriate t-shirt and bow for a disco party. And what is that doll-sized comb hanging from her ear?

Help to save Ginger by sending your thoughts about her treatment below. I'll make sure they're delivered to O'Day and, if she can't read, that the general vibe is conveyed to her by a publicist-type person.

By Liz Kelly  | October 8, 2008; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion, Hollyweird
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Halle Berry Named Esquire's 'Sexiest Woman Alive'
Next: Morning Mix: Brangelina Brood Returns to France

Comments

If this were a caption contest picture, I'd have submitted "Aubrey O'Day & Ginger are pictured at the 'Beat A Dog To Death With A Bowling Pin For Barack' rally shortly before festivities get underway."

Posted by: byoolin hasn't the foggiest idea who this bint is. | October 8, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

OK, so, my first reaction was, who the heck is this girl?"
So, I googled her, and now my reaction is "who the heck is this girl?"

I do feel sorry for the dog. I have always felt that dying dogs (and other animals) is a form of animal abuse and dressing them up in stupid outfits is just humiliating for them.

And, kudos to byoo for the use of the word "bint" - there is one you don't hear everyday. My personal favorite is "trollop."

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 8, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

She looks like she is strangling the poor thing to keep Ginger from barking out SOS.

BTW, since ya'all IMDB so I don't have to, who is this blond creature who is torturing that poor little doggie?

Posted by: ep | October 8, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Opps - that would be "dyeing." Of course, dying animals would be abusive assuming the dying was somehow caused by the human-type person.

OK, it's back to work for me...

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 8, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Call the SPCA - this dog is forced to parade around without it shoes! Next up, advice from Sharon Stone on how best to botox a dog's feet?

Posted by: bflogirl | October 8, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

She must be an F-list celebrity, as in WhoTF is this?

Posted by: M Street | October 8, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, have you been catching up on your Buffy DVDs? A certain Spike-ish flavor ('scuse me, flavour) has crept into your language of late.

Posted by: WDC | October 8, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

it makes me sad to see anyone toting a dog around like that. i have a mini-mutt and he's my best buddy, not an accessory to be blinged and dyed and dressed up.

i can only hope Ginger returns the favor by dropping a little surprise on her arm at some point. or better yet, on her head while she's sleeping.

Posted by: b | October 8, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I third the "Who the $@%! is the chick" sentiment.

When I saw the headline, my first thought was that Tina Louise was being threatened by a leprechaun (which in my humble opinion would have been more interesting).

Posted by: Dorkus | October 8, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

she probably has to hold on to Ginger with a death grip because if she puts it down, the pooch will take off running, trying to get as far away from the twit as possible.

Posted by: b | October 8, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I do not have access to IMDB at work and would like to be the 4th person to say who the heck is this girl??
And why don't the women at my work only wear tee shirts and nothing else?

Posted by: anon | October 8, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

WDC, any resemblance to anything from 'Buffy' is purely coincidental. I think I've only ever seen part of one episode.

Dorkus, I think "Tina Louise being threatened by a leprechaun" forms part of the plot of the infamous Roseanne sex tape.

Posted by: byoolin | October 8, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

PSA: Aubrey is a "singer" from the girl group Danity Kane that was formed on Diddy's Making the Band 3 MTV show.

That said - she's a nobody and should not be using her poor dog as a publicity stunt. Similar to how the Obama campaign dissed Lilo, I think Obama does not want your support Aubrey!

Posted by: sjcpeach | October 8, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

It's party for a bowling alley - the clothes are right on point!

Posted by: Tee hee | October 8, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The dyeing is bad, the t-shirt is dreadful but the thong on that dog's head has got to be some form of torture. For Ginger's sake I hope it wasn't used.

Posted by: petal | October 8, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

That IS a thong on the dogs head! Owe the humanity!

Posted by: poor doggie! | October 8, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: petal | October 8, 2008 11:44 AM

Why not? Dogs luv the smell of poop, etc.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

She must be an F-list celebrity, as in WhoTF is this?

Posted by: M Street | October 8, 2008 11:31 AM

Hiiiiiiilarious!!!! I must steal this and use it alot. My first thought too was who is Aubrey O'Day and what is a Danity Kane?

Posted by: Being Satan makes me sad | October 8, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Because she's a dog, and dogs are like that, Ginger trusts Ms O'Day with her life.

(Is there such a thing as dog rehab?)

Making a joke out of your pooch's trust should be an actionable offense.

Posted by: Curmudgeon still missses her "Bertha" who died in January at age 16 | October 8, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

By the way byoolin, if you like you can borrow my Buffy DVDs, I've got the whole series.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 8, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Apparently Danity Kane is a successful R&B singing group. Whooda thunk? Never heard of them.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I love Buffy! Seriously I never liked Sarah Michelle Gellar in anything else and think she's kind of a flake but Buffy was some quality TV.

Sigh, Spike.

Posted by: willow | October 8, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

CALL PETA! CALL THE ASPCA! CALL ANIMAL COPS! CALL OPRAH! Get this poor dog some help, stat!

Cats are never subjected to this type of indiginty. Maybe Ms. O'Day is really a cat in disguise.

Posted by: akmitc | October 8, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

This woman is absolutely, positively krazar!

Posted by: SlackingAgain | October 8, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorkus | October 8, 2008 11:48 AM

Yo, byoolin. Be sure to wipe the lube off of those DVDs before you return them!!

Posted by: Ha, ha | October 8, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: akmitc | October 8, 2008 11:53 AM

What is indiginty? Sounds ghetto.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

The only good thing about that tee shirt is that it's the perfect garment in the event of a menstrual emergency.

And that bowling pin is one frightening sex toy.

Posted by: yellojkt being as disturbing as possible | October 8, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: akmitc | October 8, 2008 11:53 AM
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I beg to differ

Posted by: Being Satan makes me sad | October 8, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I think I may have inadvertently hit on something... when the topic of the day is some sorry non-celeb who does stupid but uninteresting things, we can talk Buffy, instead! I'm thinking it's been far too long since I reveled in the dry wit of one Rupert Giles.

Dorkus, you host the watch party, ok? (The DVDs are STILL on my amazon wish list, hint hint mom, after all these years.) I'll bring the jaegermeister. It'll take us right back to Tuesday nights in grad school. Me, anyway.

Posted by: WDC | October 8, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Dogs are NOT a fashion accessory! Never! They simply aren't!

If she were to come to my place I would make HER wear the thong on HER head! As punishment. And a cape.

Posted by: Stick | October 8, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I will admit (but only to you guys) that I do take my dogs to get their picture taken with Santa. Its once a year and since my dogs are attention wh*res, its pretty painless. But the best part is seeing all the dogs being forced to dress in their Sunday best for their picture with Santa. I don't even make my dogs where bandanas. Also I notice that these dressed up dogs tend to be very poorly trained. I guess you don't have train a dog to be carried around in a purse.

Posted by: jake e. poo would never humilate her dogs | October 8, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I never heard of this woman. I suppose I can see her allure - to men, that is. All that being said: poor doggie. Geez, lady, give it a break - just let the dog stay at home and stop treating it like an accessory.

Posted by: WI | October 8, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks everyone, I was worried that I am now officially "old" because I had no idea who this little tart was or what was Danity Kane. Now I know she hasn't even made the D list, so I feel better. sjcpeach, thanks for the info and everyone else should congratulate themeselves that they did not know. And poor doggie!

Posted by: hodie | October 8, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I may be taking my life in my hands to admit this - I do dress my dog up for trick-or-treating on Halloween. But she doesn't mind! Really! It means that she gets more dog treats from the neighbors than the non-costumed ones. And so do the kids when they walk her. So it's a win-win situation. (The kids get candy, of course. Just heading some comments off at the pass.)

Hey, she's a dog and a notorious shark. There's pretty much nothing she won't subject herself to for attention and/or treats. Kind of like some celebutarts...

Posted by: longhorn | October 8, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

"krazar"?

Do I detect a new entry into the Celebrity Universe Glossary of terms?

Lizards?

Posted by: Curmudgeon rubs her hands with glee | October 8, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | October 8, 2008 12:18 PM

Spelling Police!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I just check Urban Dictionary. Though krazar is listed, it has yet to be defined. I say we define it.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I think Obama does not want your support Aubrey!

Posted by: sjcpeach | October 8, 2008 11:43 AM

*****************************************

I'm pretty sure the Obama campaign has never heard of this chick either.

WDC, I used to host Buffy parties on Tuesday, they were fun. I also have the soundtrack from the musical in my car.

longhorn I just have to ask, are you a fellow Texas fan?

Posted by: Dorkus | October 8, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Spelling Police!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 12:24 PM

Troll Police!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus,

I am a proud graduate of that fine institution in Austin, transplanted to the DC area. Haven't lived there in years (sniff, sniff) but still bleed orange!

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled topic...

Posted by: longhorn | October 8, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Longhorn, I say we make a break for it. DC weirdness makes Austin look normal. Fingers crossed for Saturday.

Topic, oh who cares. But, krazar is one step below cruisiness, but above bat sh*t crazy.

Posted by: ep | October 8, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Spelling Police, honestly I am not under the influence. Please, can I just have a warning? Besides, it was a typo, not a mispelling. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And why do you let luvjen off the hook all the time? That's not fair!

Posted by: hodie touches her nose and walks a straight line | October 8, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

> This Presidental Election has me very worried. So many things to consider!
> I watch all the news channels, jumping from one to another. I must say this drives my husband crazy. But, I feel if you view MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News, you might get some middle ground to work with. About six months ago, I started thinking "where did the money come from for Obama". I have four daughters who went to College, and we were middle class, and money was tight. We (including my girls) worked hard and there were lots of student loans.
> I started looking into Obama's life. Around 1979 Obama started college at Occidental in California . He is very open about his two years at Occidental, he tried all kinds of drugs and was wasting his time but, even though he had a brilliant mind, did not apply himself to his studies.
> "Barry" (that was the name he used all his life) during this time had two roommates, Muhammad Hasan Chandoo and Wahid Hamid, both from Pakistan .
> During the summer of 1981, after his second year in college, he made a "round the world" trip. Stopping to see his mother in Indonesia , next Hyderabad in India , three weeks in Karachi , Pakistan where he stayed with his roommate's family, then off to Africa to visit his father's family.
> My question - Where did he get the money for this trip? Nether I, nor any one of my children would have had money for a trip like this when they where in college. When he came back he started school at Columbia University in New York . It is at this time he wants everyone to call him Barack - not Barry.
> Do you know what the tuition is at Columbia ? It's not cheap! to say the least. Where did he get money for tuition? Student Loans? Maybe. After Columbia , he went to Chicago to work as a Community Organizer for $12,000. a year. Why Chicago ? Why not New York ? He was already living in New York .
> By "chance" he met Antoin "Tony" Rezko, born in Aleppo Syria , and a real estate developer in Chicago . Rezko has been convicted of fraud and bribery this year. Rezko, was named "Entrepreneur of the Decade" by the Arab-American Business and Professional Association".
> About two years later, Obama entered Harvard Law School . Do you have any idea what tuition is for Harvard Law School ? Where did he get the money for Law School ? More student loans? After Law school, he went back to Chicago . Rezko offered him a job, which he turned down. But, he did take a job with Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland. Guess what? They represented "Rezar" which Rezko's firm. Rezko was one of Obama's first major financial contributors when he ran for office in Chicago . In 2003, Rezko threw an early fundraiser for Obama which Chicago Tribune reporter David Mendelland claims was instrumental in providing Obama with "seed money" for his U.S. Senate race.
> In 2005, Obama purchased a new home in Kenwoood District of Chicago for $1.65 million (less than asking price). With ALL those Student Loans - Where did he get the money for the property? On the same day Rezko's wife, Rita, purchased the adjoining empty lot for full price. The London Times reported that Nadhmi Auchi, an Iraqi-born Billionaire loaned Rezko $3.5 million three weeks before Obama's new home was purchased. Obama met Nadhmi Auchi many times with Rezko.
> Now, we have Obama running for President. Valerie Jarrett, was Michele Obama's boss. She is now Obama's chief advisor and he does not make any major decisions without talking to her first. Where was Jarrett born? Ready for this? Shiraz , Iran ! Do we see a pattern here? Or am I going crazy?
> On May 10, 2008 The Times reported, Robert Malley advisor to Obama was "sacked" after the press found out he was having regular contacts with "Hamas ", which controls Gaza and is connected with Iran. This past week, buried in the back part of the papers, Iraqi newspapers reported that during Obama's visit to Iraq , he asked their leaders to do nothing about the war until after he is elected, and he will "Take care of things".
> Oh, and by the way, remember the college roommates that where born in Pakistan ? They are in charge of all those "small" Internet campaign contribution for Obama. Where is that money coming from? The poor and middle class in this country? Or could it be from the Middle East ?
> And the final bit of news. On September 7, 2008, The Washington Times posted a verbal slip that was made on "This Week" with George Stephanapoulos. Obama on talking about his religion said, "My Muslim faith". When questioned, "he make a mistake". Some mistake!
> All of the above information I got on line. If you would like to check it - Wikipedia, encyclopedia, Barack Obama; Tony Rezko; Valerie Jarrett: Daily Times - Obama visited Pakistan in 1981; The Washington Times - September 7, 2008; The Times May 10, 2008.
> Now the BIG question - If I found out all this information on my own, Why haven't all of our "intelligent" members of the press been reporting this?
> A phrase that keeps ringing in my ear - "Beware of the enemy from within"!!!

Posted by: Axeman | October 8, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorkus | October 8, 2008 11:34 AM

Dorkus, I <3 U

Posted by: other liz | October 8, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorkus | October 8, 2008 11:34 AM

------------------------------------------
I must confess, I thought it was Gilligan's Island Ginger as well.

And longhorn, Dorkus: stay put in DC, there are no jobs here.

Posted by: jelo | October 8, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Now playing on today's Reliable Source chat:

"Upperville, Va.: Real single men own herding dogs to help them work livestock. Cats are for metrosexuals who need bikini waxes. We depend on our dogs to help manage the our livelihood. A cat won't go out 1,000 yards and bring 500 sheep in so they can graze on the next field or help your load cattle on the truck for market. "

Posted by: Tee hee | October 8, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I am a "It's Me or the Dog" addict and Victoria is constantly sorting out dogs who are totally messed up because of being dressed up and used as fashion accessories. If it makes anyone feel any better, Ginger probably craps the bed, wees on the carpet and bites her creepy owner on the privacies.

Posted by: possum | October 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

other liz, you made me blush.

Well, jelo, I am still in the Austin area. But longhorn, ep, I'm hosting the game this weekend and you guys are more than welcome to fly into town and stop by.

Posted by: Dorkus | October 8, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Krazar means crazy. I got that from an ep of Power Rangers...yes I said Power Rangers. My roomie LOVES that show and I was unfortunate enough to watch an ep. The villian of that ep was named Krazar and my roomie thought it kizmet that I was there to see it because I am allegedly crazy.

Posted by: SlackingAgain | October 8, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: possum | October 8, 2008 1:12 PM

Sounds like my gaga mother's nursing home...

Posted by: Waiting for Lefty | October 8, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Proving that cats have far more good sense than dogs.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Thought it was a combo of crazy and bizarre, but it doesn't explain the "k".

Posted by: def. of krazar | October 8, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

1. She is ugly as hell 24/7.
2. She was just kicked out of Danity Kane on Making the Band 4 last night.

Posted by: 2 things | October 8, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

A new entry for the Glossary:

krazar - one step below Cruisiness, but slightly above bat sh*t crazy

Lizard smooches to Slackingagain and ep.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 8, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Nobody says it better than the Go Fug Yourself ladies:

Somewhere, there is an Obama staffer tasked with writing a very tactful email that essentially says, "OH MY GOD CUT IT OUT YOU ARE NOT HELPFUL." Somewhere, there is a hair dresser who is composing a very kind email that still basically reads, "OMG WHEN YOUR ROOTS ARE THIS BAD DON'T WEAR YOUR HAIR LIKE THAT." And somewhere, there is a very small, overly accessorized dog learning to write so that he can leave Aubrey O'Day a note that explains where he's gone and why he's NEVER COMING BACK.

Posted by: Fruitfly | October 8, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

you must see what the fug girle have to say about this clown: http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/go_fug_yourself/cat_781/. tee hee hee

Posted by: poor pup | October 8, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I hate it when people hold these accessory dogs and just let their back legs dangle. The dogs always look so uncomfortable, like they're worried they're going to fall. The back legs should be supported. (This pic isn't as bad as some since the Aubrey chick does seem to be holding Ginger in the crook of her arm for some added support.)

*****

Anon, cut some slack on the typos. Most of us are multi-tasking. Not everything merits a ticket by the spelling/grammar police.

Posted by: alex would take better care of Ginger | October 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

A new entry for the Glossary:

krazar - one step below Cruisiness, but slightly above bat sh*t crazy

Lizard smooches to Slackingagain and ep.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 8, 2008 3:24 PM

LOL...glad ya like it! :)

Posted by: SlackingAgain | October 8, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Liz, if you're around, can you get rid of the "manchurian candidate" rant at 12:43? It's a cut and paste of a viral email smear campaign.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I see this pic and all I have are questions: Why is she holding a bowling pin? Some promotion at a bowling alley? Why would you bring a dog to a bowling alley? That seems fraught with danger. And how in the world could she bowl in that t-shirt without flashing anyone (of course that may be the point).

Posted by: CAB | October 8, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Oooops! I just saw the caption, "...Bowlmore Lanes 70th anniversary party." Seems like a strange event to go to, but I guess it's all an "F List" (nice one, Being!) celeb can get.

Posted by: CAB who neglected to read the caption of the photo. | October 8, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I second Anonymous' request to remove the offensive post at 12:43 PM. In the interim, reliable refutation of its false claims can be read at:

Posted by: Nosy Parker | October 8, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

concern troll alert:

Posted by: Axeman | October 8, 2008 12:43 PM

Posted by: b | October 8, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Here we have the yin and the yan: a cute b|tch and a skanquey pu$$y.

Posted by: Sasquatch | October 8, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

What bridge did 12:43 crawl out from under? And will it take him back?

Posted by: Islamorada Girl | October 8, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

The Bridge to Nowhere, I presume

Posted by: Sarah Palin | October 8, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Now, now, Axeman. You've already been told on the campaign page forum to stop parading out this tired old treatise on "discovering" stuff about Obama. And please don't push that stuff here where we all want to enjoy the celebrity snarking, okay? Thanks.

Posted by: expat51 | October 8, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone hating on Aburey? she's actually very nice and quite famous for those of us who actually live on this planet. I have a dog and although I wouldn't carry him around with me, that's the "in" thing to do in Hollywood...READ SOME MAGIZENES PEOPLE! and stop OVER REACTING she treats Ginger very good, and I think all these comments are really harsh, especially since NONE OF YOU HAVE EVER HEARD OF HER! You want everyone to be nice to animals? I'm all for it but let's try to be nice to people first shall we?

Posted by: J | October 9, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse