Posted at 10:36 AM ET, 10/24/2008

Video Friday List: Celeb-Inspired Halloween Hilarity

By Liz Kelly

The thing to keep in mind if you decide to go the celebrity route for your Halloween costume is this: Don't take yourself too seriously. You want people laughing with you, not at you. And nothing says desperation so much as a straight-faced facsimile of Marilyn Monroe or an elaborate recreation of "300's" Leonidas. Trust me, guys -- no matter how cut your abs, there's only one Gerard Butler and loin cloths tend to make people uncomfortable.

Earlier this week, Rocci Fisch (who produces my weekly chat) and I went in search of celeb-related Halloween duds. Much to the chagrin of Rocci and my ego, we share the results here:

Now, if you can wipe the image of bizarro world Paris Hilton out of your mind, share your ideas for celebrity-inspired costumes below. And remember, the devil is in the details.

(Many thanks to D.C.'s Backstage Costumes and Falls Church's Economy Party Supply & Costumes for putting up with our shoot.)

By Liz Kelly  | October 24, 2008; 10:36 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists, Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Ambassador Oprah?
Next: Morning Mix: Jennifer Hudson Offers $100K for Nephew's Return; Body Found Could Be Related to Case

Comments

I think I mentioned recently about the Cheney and his hunting partner at a party I went to last year. At that same party, one neighbor went as Pamela Anderson sporting huge fake shoes in a tight t-shirt, blond wig and false eyelashes. Her husband dressed as a baby not yet weaned. Also a few years ago our office group had a Drew Carey theme going. One guy went as Drew Carey (he was a dead ringer) and the rest of us went as Mimi. Hilarious!

Posted by: hodie | October 24, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Rocci's cameo as a rastafarian made me spit my water all over the keyboard.

Posted by: aesully | October 24, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Loved the pink wig, Liz. Were you being Brittney?

Posted by: hodie | October 24, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking of Joe the Plumber or Petal the celebritologist. I'm really trying to keep the costs as low as possible.

There's also the idea of dressing as Lilo and Sam with one of my friends. Or maybe getting a needle, doning a blond wig, one of those fake feet and tah dah, Sharon Stone.

Posted by: petalceleb | October 24, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Coldplay is on SNL this weekend. Any chance Paltrow will make an appearance?

Posted by: jezebel3 | October 24, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Aah, Halloween. The one day of the year in New York City when it's really hard to distinguish the costumes from the "self-expression." And it's a Friday this year, so the fun will last all weekend!

Personally, I'm going to put on my most conservative suit and go as "office drone."

Posted by: northgs | October 24, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Creativity is lacking this year. Since it is an election year, maybe I will just hang a piece of paper off me and go as a hanging chad.

Posted by: epjd | October 24, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

one year a group of my friends bought cheap white sheets and went as:

Bull Sheet (complete with horns)
Sheet for Brains
Sheet Head
etc. etc. etc.

One forgot their sheet, and ended up running around screaming - they were

Scared Sheetless

LTL suggest that perhaps attaching a sheet to their shoe one could go as whoever it was that got caught stepping in dog poo (PoopDiddy? Kanye?) I can't remember, it's friday...

Posted by: LTL1 | October 24, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Here's a good one. How about Claire from Heroes. Just need a cheerleading costume, blond wig and for the Halloween gruesome effect, a line of fake blood across her forehead.

Posted by: hodie | October 24, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Not only coldplay but Jon Hamm is hosting SNL!

by the way how exactly is this a friday list?

Posted by: sjcpeach | October 24, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, you around? Did you go see Marcia, Marcia, Marcia at Bookpeople?

Posted by: epjd | October 24, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

How about Sarah Palin as The Joker?

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 24, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm around, I wanted to go to that, unfortunately I was recovering from a day trip to Ft. Worth the day before and was too tired to want to go out.

What really upsets me is that Alamo Drafthouse is all sold out for Bruce Campbell's new movie and autograph session on Sunday.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 24, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

SJC -- this is a Friday List because the idea is for you to share ideas for celeb-related columns.

And, yes, I do wish I could change my registration name.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | October 24, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, never mind. It isn't displaying the full user ID. Cool.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | October 24, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I saw Bruce Campbell at Bookpeople. He is so funny. Of course, Alamo Drafthouse is sold out for him. Austin worships the guy.

Hey, I have a hawaiian shirt. I could go as Bruce Campbell for Halloween.

Posted by: epjd | October 24, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I have a hawaiian shirt. I could go as Bruce Campbell for Halloween.

Posted by: epjd | October 24, 2008 1:20 PM

******************************************

I was thinking the exact same thing. It was either that go as Ash from Evil Dead (with chainsaw hand, of course).

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 24, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Last year my costume was Beth from Dog the Bounty Hunter. I never got to wear it, though, due to an unfortunate ankle-breaking incident four days before Halloween. If I do anything this year, I guess I'll just recycle it.

Posted by: eet7e | October 24, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I always wanted to dress for Halloween as half man, half woman. One half would be Oliver Wendell Douglas (Eddie Albert) and the other half would be Lisa Douglas (Eva Gabor), the characters from the TV show Green Acres.

Then I could switch sides back and forth at parties and sing the theme song!

Green Acres is the place for me...

Posted by: cjbriggs | October 24, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

cjbriggs- No offense, but that has to win an award for most obnoxious costume. I have the song stuck in my head just from thinking about it.

Getitout, getitout, getitout!!

Kudos to you on having an idea, though. I got nuthin.

Posted by: aesully | October 24, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, the picture of Palin as the joker was priceless but I thought it looked more like Mrs Kravitz as the joker. Thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: hodie | October 24, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

You mean Sarah Palin is NOT the Joker?

Posted by: reddragon1 | October 24, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Your halloween costuming needs have been met:

A friend let me know about this listing.

Posted by: epjd | October 24, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

First off, great video shoot, Liz & Rocci. I hope you'll take interactive field trips more often.

My costume is Joan Holloway from Mad Men. I am having my hair put up by my fabulous hairdresser, Janice, then I'm wearing a figure fitting green sheath dress and ridiculously high heels (for me). I have a pen on a chain to wear around my neck.
My husband is going as Roger Sterling because he has that awesome distinguished grey hair. He's wearing a suit with a vest and a skinny tie. He'll also carry around a highball for most of the evening.

Posted by: pras40 | October 24, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

pras40 (methinks?), that sounds brilliant! Wish there were some way that lizards could post photos of themselves in costume online. Liz?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 24, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 24, 2008 4:43 PM

*******************************************

Couldn't we do it like we did for the fan art submissions?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 24, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

If I actually looked like Christina Hendricks I'd be all over posting a picture of my Halloween costume on the internet. However since I look more like methinks/pras40, I'll probably pass. It's hard enough to have my comments critiqued!

Posted by: pras40 | October 24, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

methinks/pras40, is there such a thing as a Christina Hendricks mask you could wear, to protect your privacy if you posted a photo online?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 24, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Great idea. I'll post a link to a submission page on Monday for our costume pics.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | October 24, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Yay! I got on!
Liz, you really rocked that pink wig!
I once dressed up as Edie from Absolutely Fabulous. No one recognized me except a 6 year-old girl. My other favorite outfit was the Romulan captain who seduces Spock. Might do that again this year. Only wish I had the thigh-high boots. Maybe I should call the Republican Party and see if they want to chip in.

Posted by: possum_pouch | October 24, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I haven't dressed up for halloween in years. My favorite (and this will date it for sure) was going with my bf as Calvin and Hobbes--he looked hilarious in striped t-shirt and spiky hair.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | October 24, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

The Lovely Mrs. byoolin thinks we should go as William S. Burroughs & Joan Vollmer after their little game of William Tell.

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 24, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse