Posted at 9:46 AM ET, 11/21/2008

Morning Mix: Ashlee Simpson Finally Gives Birth

By Liz Kelly

Sissy Spacek and Reese Witherspoon chat at the Los Angeles premiere of their new movie, 'Four Christmases.' Kristin Chenoweth, far right, laughs maniacally. (Getty Images)

Friday

Headlines: Ashlee Simpson gives birth to baby boy, Bronx Mowgli Wentz... Beyonce and Jay-Z named top earning entertainment couple... Reese Witherspoon says she's not ready to marry again... Matt Damon's fourth "Bourne" installment due in 2010... In new book, Eminem's mom says she didn't mean to sue him... Adrian Brody doesn't want anyone thinking he's got a sense of humor... Celebs -- including Janet Jackson SamRo and Lilo, Charlize Theron -- flock to Dubai hotel opening... Ben Affleck tours refugee camps in eastern Congo... Ivanka Trump penning motivational book.

Pix: Jessica Biel, what are you wearing?

Crime Watch: Convicted sex offender Gary Glitter appeals over order requiring him to notify police before traveling abroad.

Rumor Mill: Did Brangelina trade baby pix for positive press coverage?... Michael Jackson converts to Islam... Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson seeing couples counselor following cat fight rumors... Madonna has drinks with ex-husband Sean Penn... Ryan Phillippe and Abbie Cornish expecting?... Emily Blunt and John Krasinski dating?... Only attractive fans welcome at Britney Spears documentary screening.

---

Mark Your Calendars: Mighty Appetite blogger Kim O'Donnel and I will be on hand Thursday, Dec. 4 from 6 - 8 p.m. for an official meet-and-greet at D.C.'s M Bar at the Renaissance M St Hotel. Come on out. We can't wait to meet you. (Facebookers: Details here.)

By Liz Kelly  | November 21, 2008; 9:46 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pop Psychology: Deconstructing Britney
Next: Friday List: Your Top 5 Celebrity Crushes

Comments

So Tired of the popularity of Brooklyn, Ashlee decided to name her son after the neglected borough Bronx hoping to start her own trend.

Posted by: spg2 | November 21, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh Ashlee and Pete, that name is really...something.

But of course Papa Joe brings it back to creepout city with this quote: And, as her dad, Joe Simpson, recently put it to PEOPLE: "The day she found out she was pregnant, she became a woman."

Papa Joe - stop looking at and commenting on the woman parts of your daughters!!!

Posted by: sjcpeach | November 21, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Get the Wentzes and the Beckhams together and you can have a little New York themed party! You just need Manhattan, Queens and Harlem (and others, I'm sure).

And is anyone else bummed about the cancelling of Pushing Daisies? I really liked that show!

Posted by: eet7e | November 21, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

At first glance I thought the Ashlee/Pete baby name was Mogwai. They can't feed him after midnight or get him wet.

I thought Adrian Brody acted with dignity in that interview. The guy asking the questions was a real asshat.

Posted by: jelo | November 21, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"Bronx Mowgli Wentz" -- The BMW initials don't fool me; this is some cruel kid-naming relative to location of conception and favorite Disney character.

"Beyonce and Jay-Z named top earning entertainment couple" -- I didn't know they had parties. Surely it's not their creative output being celebrated.

"Reese Witherspoon says she's not ready to marry again" -- And in response, the world yawned.

"Matt Damon's fourth 'Bourne' installment" -- And once again, the movie version will bear absolutely no resemblance to the source book/material.

"Eminem's mom says she didn't mean to sue him" -- She meant to sue Taco Bell in support of 50 Cent.

"Janet Jackson ... Dubai hotel opening" -- Note to SamRo et al., don't share any forks or cups with Miss Janet. And pack the Immodium.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 21, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

And Bob Geldorf was overheard saying "Bronx Mowgli, seriously that is just wrong."

Meanwhile Osama bin Laden was overheard saying "Look, I know I said that all of you infidels need to convert to Islam, but uh you can keep Micheal Jackson. Really, the guy kind of creeps me out."

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 21, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Jessica's going to hit the roof when she realizes Ashlee is calling the baby "BroMo".

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 21, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

It was kind of funny to me that you have all these celeb's going to Dubai for some posh affair - Dubai being a place that forces 5 year olds to race camels - at risk of their lives. Right next to it the article on Ben AFLACK (sorry) on a tour of the Congo. Almost (almost mind you) makes me like the guy. That and he married Jennifer Garner who I think is pretty damn cool.

I'll lay 10 to 1 odds he's moving in to politics and laying out the groundwork on a long term strategy.

Posted by: LTL1 | November 21, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey, who's in that new photo for the Gallery? It looks like "Exit to Eden: The Musical" starring Mary Tyler Moore, Henry Gibson, and Wendy Jo Sperber. ?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 21, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

spg2 you beat me to the punch! Next child, Queens?
Mowgli? isn't that the boy from Jungle Book? Now I know who Pete Wentz reminds me of!
Anyway, congrats Ashlee and Pete, and try to stay away from Elias' naming machine next time.

Just how does one "accidently" sue someone? Come'on Mom, you did it, either your sorry or you're not, admit it and move on.

Headscarves will be an improvement to the surgical masks MJ makes his kids wear.

Ivanka Trump penning Motivational Book "How to Trump the Trump- relieving a billionare of his riches in 10 easy steps".

Posted by: hodie | November 21, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

WHOA! WHAT!?! Pushing Daisies was cancelled?!?! I LOVE that show. It's like my little feel good show of the week (along with Ugly Betty).

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 21, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 21, 2008 9:56 AM

TD, if the kid was conceived in the Bronx, they were renting space by the hour. Unless they weren't in a bed at all. (I can't imagine that either has a place in the Bronx, or even friends with a place in the Bronx.) Maybe Mom and Dad had just heard so many Bronx cheers at their concerts that they decided to co-opt the negative and make it a positive.

-------------------

Posted by: eet7e | November 21, 2008 9:53 AM

EE, Harlem isn't a borough, it's part of Manhattan. Any "Harlem" at such a playdate would be teased mercilessly for being a lesser being than the boroughs. Unless Manhattan and Harlem are conjoined twins, that is. The missing borough on your list is Staten Island, which I'm sure some celeb will think would make a *great* baby name - you even get the middle name in the deal.

In the absence of a kiddo named Manhattan, I suppose you could always substitute the liquid kind. Wouldn't that be a fun mommy-playdate group!

Posted by: northgs | November 21, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Re the Simpson-Wentz baby: Could be worse; they could have named a girl Astoria Cheetah.

Posted by: Katyola | November 21, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Did Brangelina trade baby pix for positive press coverage?..."

I believe we have the "DUH" of the day!

Posted by: jaybbub | November 21, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Bronx Mowgli? If only they'd had a daughter - Queens Alice!

Posted by: resina | November 21, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Just how does one "accidently" sue someone?

Posted by: hodie | November 21, 2008 10:07 AM

***

Yes, how does that happen epjd, Esq.?

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 21, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

That interview made love Adrien Brody. Then I clicked on the link to the photos of his "castle." Now I'm torn ...
Also -- next kids for the Wentzes: Queens Baloo.

Posted by: otherliz | November 21, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The key to understanding the Angelina Jolie story is in this phrase: "People magazine, which is owned by Time Inc."

She can try and control the tabs all she likes. When they're owned by real news organizations, however, there's no controling the analysis of the effort to control the coverage.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 21, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Awww man, Pushing Daisies is cancelled! That sucks. I hope there's enough episodes to wrap up the storyline surrounding Ned's missing dad.

Ashlee and Pete get the WTF of the day. Bronx Mowgli Wentz, really, seriously.

Is Lilo a kept woman? I don't get how she can make these trips, go shopping what seems like all the time but I rarely see her on a movie set.

What other information is there for Bourne to find? Let it rest already.

Posted by: petalceleb | November 21, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Madonna looks like she's wearing a dress designed by ChemLawn.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 21, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, northgs. My NYC geography needs a dusting. For some reason, the first thing I though of re: naming a kid Staten was that it would go well with Espn.

And yes, Suzanne, E! and EW are reporting that ABC is cancelling Pushing Daisies, Dirty Sexy Money and Eli Stone. Can't see the full articles thanks to the surfblockers, but found this little blurb: http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20081121/en_top_eo/69940

Posted by: LTL1 | November 21, 2008 10:02 AM
I don't think it's a new thing. I remember rumblings a few years ago of an Affleck Senate run.

Posted by: eet7e | November 21, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Gary Glitter didn't want to tell the police he wanted to go to Dubai to see the camel races.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 21, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

ok, I'll bite. WTF is Abbie Cornish? I have a feeling I should know this one. But should I care?

Loved the description of Jessica Biel's frock as "sexy Mennonite".

Is Madonna going out of her way to prove she's not the "bad guy" by being seen with her exes? First Carlos and now Sean. I'm not buying it.

Posted by: hodie | November 21, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Jessica Biel can wear whatever she wants -- or not. Either way, she's a hottie.

If celebs run out of boroughs, there's always "Newark LaRue" "Paramus Bwana" or "Eastchester Lester." "Great Neck" would also be good.

Why no obnoxious "couple name" for Beyonce and Jay-Z yet? I nominate the obvious, B-Jay.

Posted by: rashibama | November 21, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

What killed me in the Adrian Brody interview was not the interview (because honestly, he's right - one quote on what man he'd like to get physical with and it would be all over the Internet that he's gay), but the link to his new "castle".

Because since he bought that, he's been my in-laws next door neighbor (at least, when he's there). They say he's very nice and actually is almost unrecognizable, but that gorgeous girlfriend of his is completely and totally impossible to miss!

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | November 21, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

they'll be lucky if he makes it out of pre-K alive with that handle ...

Posted by: Thecookie | November 21, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Ashlee and Pete plan to leave their child in the Bronx to be raised by hookers.

Posted by: dablues1 | November 21, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Hoboken Baloo Wentz has a nice ring to it.

Posted by: dablues1 | November 21, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

NO, they did not cancel DSM. That was my not-so guilty pleasure. Although this year was not as good as last year (bring back the original show runner and let it live again).

Mowgli??? Time to read big people books Ashlee.

Yeah, it is pretty hard to accidently sue someone. The process alone kinda gives you a clue to what you are doing.

Posted by: epjd | November 21, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

ep, why are you assuming Ashlee read the book? My guess is she is just recalling seeing the animated movie.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 21, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

All together, everyone. On the count of three, we all give Ashelee Simpson's new baby a BIG BRONX CHEER.

ONE

TWO

THREE

Pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 21, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

So, the Simpson-Wentz muffin finally popped, eh?

After being gestated for so long it's no wonder they had to name the kid after an entire borrough.

Michael Jackson never fails to amaze me. Does his "conversion" have anything to do with the lawsuit or is he looking forward to those 77 virgins when he enters paradise (if there are any left, that is).

Yours truly,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | November 21, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Put daddy in a loincloth and I can totally see where they got the name Mowgli.

Posted by: hodie | November 21, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, I figured the pictures might have interested her.

As for Brangelina, I totally believe they would try this. And as we have recently seen, reporters are more than willing to compromise their objectivity. Journalists are supposed to report facts. Not to be positive or negative. Now there is some subjective action in choosing which facts to report, but a good journalists picks both positive and negative facts. Thanks to this little move by the Jolie-Pitts, People (and probably any other Time, Inc. publication) will never report if that herd is being properly educated, has any friends outside the family or anything that will show the family as less than perfect.

Posted by: epjd | November 21, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

byoolin

If Ashlee divorces Pete, marries Brian Setzer and he adopts Bronx Mowgli, the kid would be (rimshot, please) BroMo Setzer.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 21, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Nosy!

Please mail your contributions to the "Replace My Monitor Fund" to....

Posted by: dablues1 | November 21, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

No-o-o-o, not Dirty Sexy Money, puhlease. One of my guilty pleasures, too, ep! Several great actors in it (Donald Sutherland is on my kitchen pass list, if only for the hairdo).

Unlike a lot of folks we snark on in show biz, Ben Affleck seems to be becoming an adult, whether one agrees with his partisan views or not. Maybe, in choosing JG, he demonstrated he was as good a judge of character as of beauty? Keep up the good work.

Re NYC names (not quite, though): Some celeb could always name her baby after the late singer Dakota Staton.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 21, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I see a new trend here. Maybe Gwynneth will name her next baby Bedford-Stuyvesant Riki-tiki-tavi.

Posted by: possum_pouch | November 21, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, he's a video of a great celebrity appearance by celebrity Turkey Sarah Palin. She comes to a local turkey farm to pardon a turkey, then gives an informal interview while turkeys are being slaughtered in the background.

More family values from the She Bush:

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 21, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The next kid could be SoHo, who could play with BroMo, and dress like LiLo on a date with SamRo

Posted by: rashibama | November 21, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for a celebrity baby to be named Holland Tunnel.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 21, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I'm surprised Palin doesn't favor shooting turkeys aerially from a helicopter.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 21, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Sas, would you settle for actress Holland Taylor (The Powers That Be, 2½ Men, among others)?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 21, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

rashibama, nice rhymes!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 21, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

rashibama, have you been hanging out with Dorkus?

Perhaps if Palin wants to pardon the turkey, she can throw it out of a helicopter ala Les Nessman.

Posted by: hodie | November 21, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin goes on a hunting trip with Dick Cheney. Who shoots whom?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 21, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Sas, Harry Whittington shoots them both.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 21, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

rashibama, have you been hanging out with Dorkus?-hodie

******************************************

Are you asking this only because of the awesomness of rashibama's comment?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 21, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

My submission for the next kid's name Tribeca Albus Wentz. Seriously, I think it's coming.

Posted by: petalceleb | November 21, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

rashibama, have you been hanging out with Dorkus?-hodie

******************************************

Are you asking this only because of the awesomness of rashibama's comment?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 21, 2008 1:39 PM

Of course. ; )

If it weren't for you our drummer would not have a gig.

Posted by: hodie | November 21, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

If it weren't for you our drummer would not have a gig.

Posted by: hodie | November 21, 2008 2:30 PM

*******************************************

Well I've got to do my part to help the economy.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 21, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 21, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Oh, the ornithology!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 21, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh, the ornithology!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 21, 2008 3:23 PM

*******************************************

But I already gave to the Audubon Society.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 21, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, maybe Ducks Unlimited?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 21, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Poor Turkey Sarah - she's sooooooo clueless.

Regards,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | November 21, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Awright, which one of you regulars wrote THIS in? (See third ballot)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 21, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Actually, turkeys can fly -- at least wild turkeys -- just not very good. Doubt they would make it out of a helicopter.

BTW, I have not been hanging out with Dorkus, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Also, even though I'm not a celebrity, if we ever have another kid,we're naming him/her Holland Tunnel. Wifey has signed off on it. If he or she becomes famous, maybe HoTu?

Posted by: rashibama | November 21, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Nosey, I swear It wasn't me.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 21, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

But did you notice one of the comments said that Lizard people was code of rBush/Cheney... Ummm... I wouldn't want to be mixed in with that lot!

Posted by: Osteph | November 21, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, too quick with the typing...

code FOR Bush/Cheney

Posted by: Osteph | November 21, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rashibama | November 21, 2008 4:15 PM
------------------------------------------
What if you have twins? Would the sibling be named Ho Tu Too?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 21, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Good one rashibama! You're ok in my book. (Dorkus you are too!)

Posted by: hodie | November 21, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Bronx? Poor kid. Maybe he can play with Brooklyn Beckham. And surely there is some celeb out there who has named their kid Queens, Harlem, Manhattan or the Bowery.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 21, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I just realized I confused Ivanka and Ivana on my earlier post. Whoops. TGIF, Sas you got the bar on the other post, can you pour me a drink?

Posted by: hodie | November 21, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

epjd, I have wondered the same thing -- we know Brad Pitt is friends with George Clooney, but does that clan have any friends?

Posted by: Californian11 | November 21, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Sure, Hodie. What'll ya have?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 21, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

A margarita on the rocks please, with salt. Make it a pitcher.

Posted by: hodie | November 21, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

A pitcher of classic margarita on the rocks, salt on the glass rim. You got it.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 21, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse