Posted at 6:53 AM ET, 11/ 3/2008

Morning Mix: Celebs Do Halloween; Friends Worried About Phoenix

By Liz Kelly
Monday

Celebs in Costume: Heidi Klum... Kate Moss... Isla Fisher... Evangeline Lilly...Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore.

Halloween, Made By You: Did you dress as a celeb? Share pix of yourself in your celeb-inspired costume in a reader-submitted photo gallery.

---

Diddy and Jay-Z appear at a Barack Obama rally Sunday in Miami. (AP)

Headlines: Mourners gather to pay respects to Jennifer Hudson's family... Sarah Palin tells Tina Fey to keep the "Sarah outfit"... Britney Spears unveils new album cover... Paris Hilton says men used her for sex... Ryan Reynolds completes NYC marathon in under four hours... Larry Birkhead and daughter Dannielynn move out of Anna Nicole Smith's house... Simon Cowell splits from girlfriend of six years... Criss Angel and Holly Madison make public debut... Another day, another dress for Suri Cruise... Jessica Simpson's hair stylist allegedly injured by paparazzi.

Crime Watch: MacKenzie Phillips pleads guilty to cocaine possession.

Rumor Mill: Friends worried about Joaquin Phoenix?... Chloe Sevigny split from longtime boyfriend?... Sienna Miller and Balthazar Getty on the outs?... Blake Lively sued by Brooklyn dressmaker... Jean-Claude Van Damme cancels promotional appearance to nurse sick dog, thereby earning his surprisingly humane, yet tragically has-been, self a spot in the Rumor Mill.

Say What?
"Kate Winslet is always naked, sitting on a toilet, running buck-naked. She's free. I want to be the kind of actress who can really be comfortable with my body like that." -- Halle Berry on her acting goals.

By Liz Kelly  | November 3, 2008; 6:53 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hollywood Horrors: Ghoulish Gossip-Inspired Tales
Next: Comment Box: Celebrity Inventors. Who Knew?

Comments

Paris Hilton says men used her for sex & money.

Wow! There's a shocker!

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 3, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

How does Criss Angel keep getting these chicks? He is one creepy dude.

Posted by: surlychick | November 3, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Paris? What else have you promoted yourself as being for? Other than sex? Or money?

I mean, if you wanted men to be interested in you for something else, why not get dressed and do something other than flash money around?

Posted by: Amelia5 | November 3, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

...and Tina Fey tells Sarah Palin that if she's ever casting for someone to play her long-lost twin on 30 Rock, she'll call Rachel Dratch.

Paris Hilton, be grateful that men used you for sex: the second-most popular answer to the Family Feud survey question, "What would you use Paris Hilton for?" was "target practice."

Simon Cowell broke up with his girlfriend, but Paula Abdul really liked her and wanted her to stay.

The injury to Ken Paves is serious: Jessica Simpson's hair is the most talented thing about her.

Apparently Chloe Sevigny's 8-yr boyfriend finally got around to renting "The Brown Bunny."

Jean-Claude Van Damme "recently adopted seven dogs from Bangkok and one of them is in a coma." And what do you call a dog in a coma? It doesn't matter, the &@#$^@#$ won't come when you call him anyway.

Halle Berry, do you *really* think anyone would go to a movie where you were "always naked, sitting on a toilet, running buck-naked"? (By the way, I think I saw Sas, Dorkus, yello, and a half-dozen others running toward the nearest multiplex. What's that all about?)

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 3, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Oh Heidi Klum, you are so out. Kate Moss looks like Lauren Hutton after a bad Studio 54 bender, and I don't know what an Isla Fisher is (is that anywhere near La Isla Bonita?). Ashton and Demi, I, well. . . .

Ryan Reynolds -- way to go! He was just showing off to make sure he beat Beth Ostrosky to the finish line. Mission accomplished, buddy.

Jay-Z -- I've said it here before, but I don't get his appeal. He's so nondescript; let's put him and Jessica Simpson in a Benetton ad and be done.

Criss Angel, Holly Madison, Isla Fisher, Blake Lively -- WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? Did I miss a post?

And what movie(s) is Halle talking about? I need to update my NetFlix queue.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 3, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Can we start a charitable organization to buy Suri a coat?

Posted by: MzFitz | November 3, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Paris was used???? I think it goes both ways. How did she get famous in the first place? Is she having regrets now?

Awesome costume, Heidi Klum. Very original.

So why are the Tom and Katie pushing Suri into the spotlight on an almost daily basis? Don't they have their own rooftop park or private grounds for Suri to play away from the paparazzi? Perhaps they're looking for friends. Won't someone go play with Suri?

Hey Dorkus, great costume!

Posted by: hodie | November 3, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

RE: "What's that all about?"

Byoolin, maybe they're all just rabid fans of Kate Winslet's acting?

VTY

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | November 3, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I got nothing after what byoolin said.

Is it wrong that I would just use Paris for money but not for sex?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 3, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Ya see that is the beauty of Jay -Z he quietly goes about his biz, and I will forever heart him for giving me Big Pimpin' - I somehow don't care that I am singing along with a song that basically tells men to treat women like - well I am sure you can guess, the title is a big self evident - I just feel compelled to sing along inspite of my intellectual horror...

Now that is a good musician...

As for Suri - I simply don't understand, were all of the stores out of tights? Katibot pick up the clue phone, that isn't snuggling, the poor child is huddling for warmth...

Posted by: LTL1 | November 3, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

TomKat need to get Suri out there - it makes them seem almost human.

VTY

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | November 3, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

that would be a 'bit' not a 'big' self evident. meh... mondays.

PSA alert, ladies of celebritology, exercise your hard earned right to vote tomorrow, or else watch Iron Jawed Angels and feel SMAME at not appreciating the price your grandmothers paid to get earn you that right...

Posted by: LTL1 | November 3, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

BAH - just to earn you that right, you don't have to "get" earn...

LTL goes quietly back to her lurking corner muttering with arms crossed, shaking head and vowing to use the preview option from now on...

Posted by: LTL1 | November 3, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I had forgotten all about The Brown Bunny. Gee thanks, byoolin. I'll never watch "Big Love" again now. I second hodie's compliments on the costume, Dorkus (and word on your comment about Paris -- ditto, man).

Paris: "But hanging out with the future King of England wasn't that different for me. I travel all over the world and meet a lot of Royalty. At the end of the day they are all just people and I don't treat them any differently."

Why does she meet a lot of royalty? Do they stay at Hilton Hotels? Do they request autographed copies of the Salomon tape? Are these the people using her? Are they "real" royals or people in Burger King crowns? I'm lost. . . .

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 3, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Thanks hodie, thanks td, I spent the better part of my work day on Friday putting that together.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 3, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LTL1 | November 3, 2008 9:15 AM

Will do. How do I feel my smame???

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 3, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Show of hands -- who looked at Britney's new album cover and thought it was the package for Jessica Simpson's latest straight-to-DVD movie?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 3, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

On the whole voting thing, I am always surprised how many folks in our country don't vote given our roots as a colony that rebelled so that it could be self governed. That right has been paid for in blood so to speak, we ought to value it.

But as a woman (or as an african american), it is even more poignant given that we weren't allowed to have our voice heard until significantly later.

Specifically the movie Iron Jawed Angels is about the suffraget movement at the peak conflict, when those who were activists on behalf of women's right to vote were arrested and worse... So to not exercise that right that was so recently won (less than 100 years ago) seems to disrespect these amazing women who sacrificed for us.

If you'd like, check www.snopes.com and search on Iron Jawed Angels for an impartial view.

Posted by: LTL1 | November 3, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

On the Sienna Miller thing - did she really think the Getty family was going to welcome her with open arms? Or that she'd actually get her hands on Balthazar Getty's trust?

Time to shop for another rich, famous husband Sienna. Anyone taking bets on who next? A post-divorce-payoff Guy Ritchie perhaps?

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | November 3, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Whew no typos on that one, WHOO HOO...

LTL will go quietly back to lurking in...3...2...1

Posted by: LTL1 | November 3, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Paris Hilton says men used her for sex & money.

She'd be even less happy if they only used her for the money, I'd imagine.

Congrats to Ryan Reynolds! You're a better man than I am.

Dorkus ain't so dorkus.

RIP Studs Terkel, America's great listener, at age 96. Doubtless mere coincidence that he died on the 25th anniversary of the death of Chicago's Papa Bear George Halas.

RIP Yma Sumac at age 86, she of the phenomenal vocal range. There were rumors, of course unproven, that she wasn't really descended from an Incan emperor after all, based chiefly on what her name spelled backwards, but some of us chose never to believe it. I liked this line in her AP obit: "When asked a question about legendary French singer Edith Piaf in an AP interview earlier this year, comedian Jon Stewart quipped: 'She's no Yma Sumac.'" So true.

Did anyone else hear/read about Sarah Palin getting punk'd on the phone by those Montreal radio personalities, one of whom pretended to be French President Nicolas Sarkozy? Zut alors! I can't imagine how Palin's handlers even let that call go through (unless they were in on the gag), or didn't catch on to it earlier (unless they enjoyed the prospect of her reeling out enough rope to hang herself). The Post's transcript contains a few errors, though posters caught them:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 3, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus ain't so dorkus.-Nosy Parker

********************************

See, now I'm just blushing.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 3, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Adding my 2¢ to the voting topic: While researching family history online, I was moved to the verge of tears when I discovered voter records for my immigrant grandparents and great-grandparents, who registered as soon as they became eligible (including my great-grandmother, who couldn't vote till women's suffrage in 1920). For once-impoverished folks who couldn't vote in their native land, they must have felt rich indeed to have become electorally empowered here. So, please, don't take this opportunity for granted!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 3, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 3, 2008 8:58 AM

Just 'cause it's my birthday and I need to feel smart today:

Chriss Angel: an illusionist/magician, has an A&E show that comes on after Dog the Bounty Hunter

Holly Madison: Former "Girl Next Door" and recent ex-gf of Hef

Isla Fisher: Mrs. Sacha Baron Cohen

Blake Lively: Tall skinny blonde girl from the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movies and now in Gossip Girl (which also has the chick who plays Cindy Lou Hoo in the live action Grinch movie).

I can't see the halloween pictures at work or else I'd have more to say.

Posted by: eet7e | November 3, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Did Paris actually think that men appreciated her for her mind?

Yeah, Sienna, sadly married men tend to move on from their little flings.

Please vote tomorrow no matter your political affiliation or position on the issues. Voting is the most direct way we participate in democracy in this country (other than jury duty and who wants to do that?). How do I get to see Iron Jawed Angels?

Posted by: epjd | November 3, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, eet7e! (Did you have a previous name here?) You are indeed a smarty. Here on Lizard Island no one's over 29 (we just have anniversaries of same). Perhaps methinks can open the Tiki Bar early in your honor.

(Today's also Bob Feller's 90th birthday, and the anniversary of Bronko Nagurski's birth).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 3, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Kate Winslet lets it ALL hang out in Holy Smoke and Little Children, in case anyone wanted to update his/her Netflix queue.

Posted by: jelo | November 3, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

(Psst, Dorkus. Ask Nosy if she's on Facebook.)

"Jean Claude Van Damme adopted 7 dogs from Cambodia? What there were no American dogs to adopt?" Good one, ep!

Happy birthday, eet7e, and thanks for bringing me up to speed. I thought Criss Angel was the guy who said, "Leave Britney Alone" (and had not a clue about the other three) so clearly I needed help here. Thanks again!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 3, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

LTL you are right about the history of voting apathy but I believe this year that is to change with a real history making election to take place and the fact that absentee voting/voting by mail is now a real (and easy) option in a lot of states. I, however, love being in the middle of it, and will stand in line tomorrow and proudly wear my "I voted" sticker. (Yes I am a geek- and proud of it).

Back to celebritology... Yes Brittney does look like Jessica Simpson on her new album cover. Interesting "apron" she's wearing.

To those worrying about Suri's inadequate cold weather clothing, do note she does have her blankie with her. Also notice Katie is wearing her Orange Halloween Mommie and me dress again but Suri is not. So Katie wears homespun, Tom's hand-me-downs, and she wears outfits more than once in public. Could it be that the Cruise's have also been hurt by the economy or is Tom withholding her clothing allowance for being disobediant in some way?

Posted by: hodie | November 3, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the wishes! I'm the Lizard formerly known as Em.

And td, you're kind of close. Criss Angel was actually romantically lined to Britney at one point a few years ago.

Posted by: eet7e | November 3, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

hodie, I read many years ago (possibly when he was still married to Mimi?) that Tom Cruise was already so filthy rich that once when he saw a sweater he really liked in an upscale shop, he bought out the designer's entire line of them, to make sure no one else could have a sweater just like his.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 3, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I think Isla Fisher was also in that Wedding Crashers movie. And Kate Winslet was also naked in Iris. I don't know when she was on a toilet though. Don't think I want to know.

Posted by: msame | November 3, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Lol, Nosy. So maybe Katie isn't reusing her garments. She just has 100 of them! (but please help me why she has even one of those orange dresses).

Posted by: hodie | November 3, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I bet Kate Moss isn't dressed as Catwoman -- she's dressed as her heroin chic self of 15 years ago.

Posted by: otherliz | November 3, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

But my question is, isn't that what Kate Moss looks like on any given Saturday night?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 3, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Heidi went a wee bit overboard with the L'Oreal makeup room and Bluefly accessory wall.

Posted by: 44west | November 3, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

hodie, if I knew the answer to that one, I'd be running for President, or at least for Celebritologist, LOL!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 3, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I may be off here, but I actually think that JCVD has the potential to be funny. Jean-Claude is making fun of himself for being a washed up action star by playing a desperate washed up action star in a movie. He even has the #$%^/gall to name the movie after himself I am pretty sure he spends a lot of time living in Thailand now too, but I could be wrong. That is why he adopted dogs out there, because he spends a lot of time out there due to his whole unhealthy martial arts obsession thing. Next on my to do list: Where is Steven Segal now?

Posted by: ThatGuy1 | November 3, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

LTL-- You said it!

I voted early, just because I can. I'm taking wednesday off so the conservatives where i work won't have to suffer through my gloating. :-)

Posted by: dablues | November 3, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I LOVE the pics of Joaquin Phoenix & his hands that say "BYE GOOD!" Priceless & roffle-licious!!

Heidi Klum never disappoints in her costume choices.

Posted by: wadejg | November 3, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Nosey_Parker is right! Dorkus really ain't so dorkus...that name is a total misnomer! ;P LOL Mr. Buffman...

FKA SlackingAgain

Posted by: linda1413 | November 3, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: linda1413 | November 3, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin writes:

--------------------------------------------

Sex. Target practice. What's the difference?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-------------------------------------------
Dammit, Byool, where are you? I've been standing here at the theater entrance with your ticket for a couple of hours. I'm missing Halle's show. Will you please hurry up and get here?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 3, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin writes:

--------------------------------------------

Sex. Target practice. What's the difference?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 3, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I've been patiently waiting to see if someone explains what VTY means ... but now I just have to ask. Curmudgeon? What does it mean?

Posted by: Californian11 | November 3, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californian11 | November 3, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californian11 | November 3, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the triple post. I have no idea how that happened.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 3, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

VTY = Very Truly Yours

Back in the dark ages when people actually wrote real letters on real paper with real pen and ink, letters to friends and loved ones were signed that way.

Posted by: epjd | November 3, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

LOL, so I wasn't the only one wondering what VTY means--figured I missed the explanation somewhere!

epjt, Iron Jawed Angels is available via Netflix for sure, suspect local video store would have it as well. Awesome performances by Hillary Swank and Frances O'Connor, also Angelica Huston. It will shock you what our own government and authorities were prepared to do to these women. It sure shocked the he11 out of me.

Way to stay classy, Ashton and Demi.

Dorkus you are maximus, dude.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 3, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Way to stay classy, Ashton and Demi.

Dorkus you are maximus, dude.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 3, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

VTY is often an abbreviation for the complimentary closing, "Very Truly Yours," but 'Mudge needs to confirm.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 3, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

NO MORE BUSH!

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 3, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Way to stay classy, Ashton and Demi.

Dorkus you are maximus, dude.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 3, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

if Paris is so worried about menu using her for sex, perhaps she should consider this new line of lingerie:

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 3, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post--it told me it failed the first time.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 3, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post--it told me it failed the first time.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 3, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

That Dannielynn is just too cute for words, but WHY is her Dad cashing in and WHY would he take advice from Tori Spelling of all people?

Speaking of exploiting the kids, the same Us magazine link has a picture of Xtina and family in their Wizard of Oz regalia. Dorothy's definitely not in Kansas anymore.

Posted by: 44west | November 3, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 44west | November 3, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Yep - you all got it right! VTY is an abbreviation for Very Truly Yours. The Curmudgeon part is still Curmudgeon.

I wanted to make sure you all knew it was I, the one true Lizard Curmudgeon, when the "sign-in" became effective. So I figured I'd sign the post with my Lizard name and let my WaPo name sign the submittal.

It's all very confusing, but you all know how my brain works by now.

Posted by: bmschumacher | November 3, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Sex. Target practice. What's the difference?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 3, 2008 1:10 PM

****

One difference: if William S. Burroughs had shot a little low and to the left during sex, it wouldn't have been such a big deal to Joan Vollmer.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 3, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse